PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs May Not "Win" But They Won

alrg88
04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
The 'experts' may not say we dominated the draft, but thats exactly what we did. We filled all kinds of positions of need and combined that with extreme value.

In Piloi we trust.

This man is good.

Go Chiefs.

akvikefan89
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Cool story, bro.

nepg
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
People aren't praising the Chiefs' draft?

It's a freaking A+. Filled the two biggest needs first, filled their next-biggest collective need throughout the draft (defensive depth all-around), and got a QB that is lightyears ahead of Croyle and who fits in the offense. They improved their talent level by leaps and bounds in this draft.

BigBanger
04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
The Chiefs have been killing the draft the past few years. Other than the the ridiculous reach of Tyson Jackson 3rd overall, they have been destroying the draft.

This draft looks like it will pay off two to four years down the road. Not necessarily right away.

Baldwin is a risky player, but he fits into that scheme very well and can really stretch the field. Still very raw and needs a lot of development. Could be an excellent compliment to Bowe. He is a bit of a diva and he might be a headache. I think this pick is a bit of a boom or bust. I'm leaning towards Baldwin being a very good #2 WR. This is about as perfect a situation as he could have landed.

Hudson is a developmental center in my opinion. He plays really light on his feet and struggles with anchor ability. Going up against guys like Seymour in the trenches? He needs to get stronger and show that he can play at 300 pounds. He is incredibly quick and athletic. He does a phenomenal job of getting to the second level. He is a great fit for KC and I think he should develop into a really good interior linemen for them. Another perfect in that scheme, but he should be a depth for a couple years.

Justin Houston is solid value along with Allen Bailey in round 3. Both are projections and they'll have to get used to the 34 scheme. Houston has huge upside. Bailey could develop into a solid rotational guy at DE, but his instincts are extremely low. He shouldn't be seeing more than a handful of plays in his first year or two.

I love the Ricky Stanzi pick. Terrific value. Future starter. Powe could be a huge pickup if he pans out.

It's a really good draft with players that fit their scheme early in the first two rounds. It is however a little risky. A lot of these guys have a lot of development. If the player development continues to be a strength of KC, then this could develop into a really strong draft. I would say Hudson is the closest thing they have to a sure thing from this draft.

keylime_5
04-30-2011, 07:17 PM
I love the Baldwin and Hudson picks. Bailey and Houston in the third round were calculated risks, boom or bust type picks. Stanzi is a great developmental prospect QB pick. Good draft with a bunch of "name" players. I think at worst they got a all-star caliber WR and OC out of it.

BaLLiN
04-30-2011, 08:05 PM
I love the Baldwin and Hudson picks. Bailey and Houston in the third round were calculated risks, boom or bust type picks. Stanzi is a great developmental prospect QB pick. Good draft with a bunch of "name" players. I think at worst they got a all-star caliber WR and OC out of it.

I agree, it has alot of potential to look like the Chiefs made everyone look stupid, but as of right now all of the players are not NFL ready to contribute. Baldwin needs to develop himself as a route runner as appose to an athlete, Hudson needs to gain some strength, Bailey isn't alot more than his physical attributes right now but i think 3-4 end is good for him, Houston is very 1 dimensional.

bornnraisedwhodat
04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I think Chiefs draft sucks.

Baldwin will be a bust and guarantee him and Bowe will fight during TC.

Justin Houston will get arrested for weed possession.

JaxJag_1
04-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Baldwin is a great talent, but he's a bad teammate. Don't like that pick.

Justin Houston is inconsistent and when you fail a drug test at the combine you have to come off of the draft board all together.

prock
04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Percy Harvin says your opinion sucks.

FUNBUNCHER
04-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Baldwin got sick and tired of playing with sh!t QBs who couldn't, or wouldn't key on him in the passing game. Baldwin was treated like a JAG by the Pitt coaching staff when in reality 60% of their offense should have been focused around getting him the football.

Dave Wannstedt being fired confirms to me that Baldwin wasn't a problem for the Pitt program, the HC was.

He's not a diva IMO, and doesn't have a rep for mouthing off. I think he was a huge pickup for the Chiefs and balances their passing game.

Justin Houston for me is the monster pick. People can knock him all they want, he was still UGA's best defender and most consistent playmaker. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the 2nd best OLB out of this draft, behind Miller.

His first step is invisible, 6'3, 270#, can run a sub 4.6. Chiefs D just seriously upgraded with ONE pick.

How long before all these parts gel together into a SB contender??

2011 is the test drive. 2012 is D-Day.

bored of education
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Baldwin got sick and tired of playing with sh!t QBs who couldn't, or wouldn't key on him in the passing game. Baldwin was treated like a JAG by the Pitt coaching staff when in reality 60% of their offense should have been focused around getting him the football.

Dave Wannstedt being fired confirms to me that Baldwin wasn't a problem for the Pitt program, the HC was.

He's not a diva IMO, and doesn't have a rep for mouthing off. I think he was a huge pickup for the Chiefs and balances their passing game.

Justin Houston for me is the monster pick. People can knock him all they want, he was still UGA's best defender and most consistent playmaker. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the 2nd best OLB out of this draft, behind Miller.

His first step is invisible, 6'3, 270#, can run a sub 4.6. Chiefs D just seriously upgraded with ONE pick.

How long before all these parts gel together into a SB contender??

2011 is the test drive. 2012 is D-Day.

Thank you. this is what i said about Houston in the grades thread:

other than the weed issue, I like this guy. he has experience in a Romeo Crennel system as the DC for UGA was the DC in Cleveland for Romeo when he was a HC. Familiarity with the system drives this grade up and also the fact this was an extra pick gained in a trade. First round talent, team captain, lead SEC in sacks. Great value, hits on one of the top 3 positions of need. Grade A

The system familiarity is so underrated. It is a seamless transition

TonyGfortheTD
04-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Dave Wannstedt
Lets key in on this, as Wannstedt is a horrible coach that should of been out of coaching altogether years ago. Hell, I would of publicly thrown him under the bus too.

I'm not worried about Baldwin and the "diva" label. After dealing with players like Keyshawn Johnson and T.O., I think Todd Haley knows how to handle them. If we had a different Head Coach, I'd be worried right now.

If Todd Haley can resurrect Dwayne Bowes career after that disaster 2009 season, he should be able to get the most out of Baldwin.

whatadai
04-30-2011, 10:17 PM
The 'experts' may not say we dominated the draft, but thats exactly what we did. We filled all kinds of positions of need and combined that with extreme value.

In Piloi we trust.

This man is good.

Go Chiefs.

You trust a guy whose name you don't even know?

SchizophrenicBatman
04-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I love the Chiefs draft. The organization clearly feels they have developed the organizational culture to the point that they can take a few character risks. This isn't like the Bengals continually picking up felons.

I really like Baldwin, Hudson, Houston, Stanzi and Gabe Miller as players.

Powe and Brown are ok for where they went. The FB from Yale is whatever and I'm not a fan of Bailey but overall that's really solid. I think they could get 3 pro bowl level players out of this draft and maybe 3 more solid players after that

metafour
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Baldwin reminds me of James Hardy.

vidae
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Mel Kiper gave us a C+ but what was really a headscratcher was he said that we got a C on value. Outside of Baldwin I thought we got tremendous value with most of our picks so I'm not sure what he was looking at.

I'm very happy with our draft though and I wouldn't change a thing...

... except maybe I'd take Herzlich over that Yale FB. Can't win em all though!

JBCX
05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
This draft was totally boom-or-bust for the Chiefs. Baldwin and Houston in particular are all high-ceiling, low-floor type of guys who will either be really great or really problematic, imho.

onejayhawk
05-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Rd 1, (26) Baldwin, Jonathan WR - I am not thrilled with this pick, but it is about the right place. Mockers had soured on Baldwin, but not the Pros.
Rd 2, (55) Hudson, Rodney OL - Likely the best ZBS C, and top 3 for OG. Solid value, and addresses a thin bench and future hole
Rd 3, (70) Houston, Justin LB - Sick value. First round talent, and team captain, but with a marijuana issue. At his point in the draft, we can cope.
Rd 3, (86) Bailey, Allen DL - Sick value again. Players with this skillset generally go in the first round, and there are a couple top 10.
Rd 4, (118) Brown, Jalil DB - Colorado's other CB. Good size and coverage skills, but suffers in comparison to Jimmy Smith. Again, good value.
Rd 5, (135) Stanzi, Ricky QB - Its a theme. Good value at the slot. Steady, smart, good game control qualities. Zero flash.
Rd 5, (140) Miller, Gabe OLB - The first "Who is that?" pick. This is the captain of Steven Peae's defense. Only two years on defense (TE), and only 1 year starter. High character AND high tools. Very short history.
Rd 6, (199) Powe, Jerrell DL - My least favorite pick. Pure need, but at value. He looks soft and slow to me. Ian williams and Blaine Sumner are undrafted. More bodies may be brought in.
Rd 7, (223) Bannon, Shane RB - The other "Who is that?" pick. Off all the radar til his workout numbers were posted. He's huge, 270 pounds, and blocks like a truck. And he has good hands and plays ST. FB, H-back, blocking TE, or all of above.

There are a couple clear need selections, C and NT. Both were filled with players at or near their slot value. There are also three really high value picks, a good value DB, two very intriguing no names and Jonathon Baldwin. I give Baldwin a B-. The rest of the draft is an A. Overall B+

J

AntoinCD
05-01-2011, 04:29 AM
I really love the Chiefs draft but I can see how you could see it differently

Baldwin-Great talent but is pretty toxic and threw his QB and coach under a bus this year. Vertical threat but does Cassell have the arm to make best use of him. Could he have been got later in the draft?

My take-Nothing makes a disgruntled player happy like success and Baldwin has landed in a great spot in KC. They will face constant 8 man boxes and with Bowe on one side, Baldwin on the other and Moeaki down the seam they could have a great all round offense.

Hudson-Is he a OC or OG. Great technician but he played at about 290lbs last year. How is he going to do against Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Haloti Ngata etc. If he adds weight will he lose his athleticism?

My take-The above concerns are valid but the value was pretty good. He was technically the best offensive lineman in the draft and if he can add 10lbs of good weight then he could wind up being a steal. Fortifies the offensive line, espeically in pass pro.

Houston-needs to be a go forward defender and despite having experience at OLB may be better suited to DE. Lacks lateral agility and has almost no experience going backwards. Failed a drugs test at the combine

My take-I dont like Houston in the 34 and the failed drugs test shows what an idiot this guy is. However the value was about right for him and he has a good upside as a pass rusher opposite Hali

Bailey-workout warrior, poor first step, doesn't have a position in the defense

My take-all upside with Bailey. Will never be a 3 down DE in KC but can play inside on passing downs, with added technique could use his raw power and become a very good run defender and has the athleticism to even stand up and play a little LB.

Other picks I like:

Brown has a lot of potential and offers size in the secondary. Overshadowed by Smith at Colorado but a nice prospect

Stanzi is a nice pickup as a backup for Cassell. He has starter potential down the road but worst case he is a huge upgrade over anyone else the Chiefs thought could be a backup

Powe is a huge guy who in September could have been a first round pick. Injuries havent helped and apparently he's as dumb as a bunch of rocks but he can be a big 2 down run stuffer in the middle of the Chiefs defense. Nice value

San Diego Chicken
05-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Not to take anything away from it, but I think the Chiefs draft is the typical draft that fans/media like because they take name players that fall for one reason or another. Sure it seems like a good idea at the time, but there are still reasons these guys fall.

For example, everyone gave the Bengals draft a few years ago an A. This was the draft where they took Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson with their first three picks - three guys who were perceived at one time or another to have first round value, even top 10 value. Well, Smith has been a bust, Maualuga is a mediocre linebacker at best, and Johnson has shown decent potential... for the third round pick he was. So I guess my point is that it all remains to be seen and snap judgements on draft classes are sort of meaningless.

Caddy
05-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Chiefs fans are the Bucs fans of 2011.

alrg88
05-01-2011, 08:23 AM
You trust a guy whose name you don't even know?

Ouch. You're right. My bad.

Pioli.

nepg
05-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Thing is....a lot of those guys are projects, but they're high-percentage projects (they might not boom, but they'll become a part of the team and be good contributors) and the Chiefs don't necessarily need starters right now (outside of WR), they mostly had issues with depth. Bailey, Houston, Brown, Powe, and maybe Miller will provide excellent depth at every defensive position while they develop. Stanzi is a huge upgrade over Croyle/Palko and a great developmental QB who should have been drafted in the second round.

vidae
05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Chiefs fans are the Bucs fans of 2011.

Not even close. You guys are the Bucs fans every year and you will never shed that label. Once a "Josh Freeman for MVP" thread was made there is no going back. Deal with it Caddy.

T-RICH49
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
the mere thought of Justin Houston and Tamba Hali together makes me happy T-Rich

ChiefMojo
05-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I LOVE KC's draft!!!!

It filled needs and added a LOT of talent. Sure some of this talent is boom or bust type talent, but if they boom... WOW!!!!

The Chiefs have a very young, talent and exciting defense. If Houston, Bailey, Brown, Powe and to an extent Miller develop along with the other young studs on the D... you could see a elite D for many many years.

I expect Houston to take over for Vrabel, Powe to be the starter in the very near future at NT, Bailey is the going to be the situational DL pass rusher up the middle and Brown/Miller give KC depth/Special Team guys/Developmental players for the future. Brown likely is the #4 CB behind Flowers, Carr and Arenas.

As for Baldwin, he left a very crappy situation at Pitt. Sure he could have handled it a little better, but he was basically screwed by a bad offense/coaching at Pitt. His upside is tremendous and he fits a major need for KC. He won't be asked to be the man right now, but a huge compliment to Bowe. He is going to be single covered a lot due to Bowe and at his size and jumping ability that spells bad news for the rest of the league.

One also has to remember Todd Haley is use to divas as he has seen many of the top ones through the years.... he has straightened out Bowe already.

Hudson gives KC a top notch quality Center starter here in the very near future. He is perfect for KC with his skills in the ZBS.

The big fullback from Yale gives KC another FB to go along with Mike Cox and also play special teams.

Stanzi gives KC a upgrade to Brodie Croyle at back-up QB and could develop slowly to possibly take over for Cassel in the future. So he is coming into a very good situation for him learning under Todd Haley and Jim Zorn.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2011, 06:32 AM
I agree, it has alot of potential to look like the Chiefs made everyone look stupid, but as of right now all of the players are not NFL ready to contribute. Baldwin needs to develop himself as a route runner as appose to an athlete, Hudson needs to gain some strength, Bailey isn't alot more than his physical attributes right now but i think 3-4 end is good for him, Houston is very 1 dimensional.

If you think like that what rookie is ready to contribute right now? Regardless of how people feel about Baldwin he's gonna be their #2 WR majority of the season and producing quite a bit. The late round potential of Powe, Houston, and Bailey was superb. These guys will provide depth like you want from late round picks but I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 didn't end up starters at some point.

I am higher on Baldwin then most, so I have no doubt he is gonna have a very good rookie year. It was just surprising that Haley was on board with that pick knowing his relationship with diva WR's in the past, and his on-going battle with Bowe to get his head on straight. I guess the play-making out weighs that though, and considering he was the last big play #1 type of WR left they pulled the trigger.

onejayhawk
05-02-2011, 07:00 AM
the mere thought of Justin Houston and Tamba Hali together makes me happy T-Rich

Dont hand it to Houston yet. He still has to learn the position, and Gabe Miller is no slouch. One of them might wind up inside.

J

ChiefMojo
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Houston played OLB in the 3-4 already I believe at Georgia.

roscoesdad27
05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Love the draft but 1 odd thing sticks out to me. I think K.C. targeted P. Taylor and figured with no 3-4 teams in-between picks 21 and 27 they could pull a trade and still get their guy. Then Cleveland (4-3 now) unsuspectingly took him leaving K.C. with Baldwin (solid pick) and J. Powe (solid pick).....not really downgrading their draft for it or anything, just a thought.

I give it an A...love the Houston pick.

onejayhawk
05-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Love the draft but 1 odd thing sticks out to me. I think K.C. targeted P. Taylor and figured with no 3-4 teams in-between picks 21 and 27 they could pull a trade and still get their guy. Then Cleveland (4-3 now) unsuspectingly took him leaving K.C. with Baldwin (solid pick) and J. Powe (solid pick).....not really downgrading their draft for it or anything, just a thought.

I give it an A...love the Houston pick.

Did you see the premium that Cleveland paid for the #21 pick. Put it this way, if Cleveland paid book, they would own Jalil Brown AND Jerrel Powe. That is how much "change" (70 points) they were willing to pass up. The Browns seem to be recreating the 2000 Ravens philosophy, ie double NT and small, fast DEs.

That being said, I think Baldwin was the Chiefs guy once Green and Julio Jones were off the board.

J

Shere Khan
05-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I love the Chiefs draft. The organization clearly feels they have developed the organizational culture to the point that they can take a few character risks. This isn't like the Bengals continually picking up felons.

I'm sick of hearing the same lame, lazy arguments in regards to the Bengals.
You and whoever spouts that mess don't know what you're talking about.
Maybe if you followed the team instead of just regurgitating what everyone else says, you'd see that.

They had a STERLING draft in terms of character/talent.

Every one of those guys is going to come in and work hard, and cares about it.

onejayhawk
05-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Great article on the Chiefs draft, by Bob Gretz. He uses the big board ranks of three other teams, plus Gosselin's top 100, to compare and contrast the amount of value in the Chiefs' picks (hint: there is a LOT of value).

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/stuck-on-value-%e2%80%a6-thursday-cup-o%e2%80%99chiefs.html

J

SenorGato
05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Personally, I liked the Chiefs draft alot. Both Houston and Bailey, particularly Bailey, were terrific values in the 3rd and Stanzi was a strong QB pick. I like Baldwin more than most too, and I don't really believe in reaches anyway. Powe was a great pick and I was surprised find out they were the ones who landed him...I thought he was the Jason Ferguson of this draft...a late round NT prospect who makes a solid career for himself.

the_dark_knight
05-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Bailey is great for the 5-tech, he fell off the boards for the 4-3 teams once people started going back and watching more. He's a 1 trick pony, but he's a freakishly good looking athlete. So it's an odd conundrum he could really flourish in the NFL with some better coaching, or he could just be one of the all bus team guys, that looks great coming off the bus, but can't play.

Houston I'm not sold on as a 3-4 OLB, he's gotta be able to navigate in space, and I want to see him do that before I declare him some crazy value. Truth be told, most of the time prospects slide because of something the coaches saw on film, or felt in the interview. I think that's the case with a lot of the 'value' picks.

I think they did pick Baldwin too early, cause I don't think he was #27 overall material, I also don't think they got a 'value' on Hudson, as he was drafted approximately where he was projected, but many had him as a 3rd rounder too, so depending on who's board you're talking about he was a reach. But I do think they got themselves a fine player.

The draft played out nicely for the Chiefs, but we have to wait and see what these guys do on a field in the NFL before we can go touting this as an A+ draft. Give it 3 years, then we'll grade em, but it does look promising, just not as promising as those with rose colored glasses are trying to tint it for the rest of us.

FUNBUNCHER
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Dont hand it to Houston yet. He still has to learn the position, and Gabe Miller is no slouch. One of them might wind up inside.

J

Justin Houston IMO is going to start as a rookie for the Chiefs. He's the most underrated OLB from this draft. You're talking about a guy who at 270# can run a sub 4.6. His one step explosion is sick. He's going to start simply because no other OLB playing for the Chiefs has his athletic skillset.

He's just a player I'm really stoked about and think he's going to blow up as a pro.
Gabe Miller has played the position, OLB, for only one season and never played defense I think before last year.

Houston gets the nod over him because of his greater experience on that side of the ball and his better honed instincts.

Chiefs are really setting themselves up IMO to make a SB run in the next couple of seasons. The addition of Baldwin should open up everything for that offense, and the D added a legit pass rusher in Houston. Powe adds rotational depth and keeps the NT fresh with a genuinely talented player.

The Bolts had their chance, I think the Chiefs take over the AFCW in 2011.

nepg
05-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Not to take anything away from it, but I think the Chiefs draft is the typical draft that fans/media like because they take name players that fall for one reason or another. Sure it seems like a good idea at the time, but there are still reasons these guys fall.

For example, everyone gave the Bengals draft a few years ago an A. This was the draft where they took Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson with their first three picks - three guys who were perceived at one time or another to have first round value, even top 10 value. Well, Smith has been a bust, Maualuga is a mediocre linebacker at best, and Johnson has shown decent potential... for the third round pick he was. So I guess my point is that it all remains to be seen and snap judgements on draft classes are sort of meaningless.
Rey and Johnson are turning out really good... The Andre Smith pick was panned by normals.

onejayhawk
05-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Check out this list:

Brian Orakpo = 1.09
Shawn Merriman = 1.07
Conor Barwin = 1.05
LaMarr Woodley = 1.05
Mark Anderson = 1.05
Cameron Wake = 1.05

These are all the 3-4 OLB, since 2004, that tested > 1.05 for this statistic:
EP = (Vertical + 3.5 * Broad)*(Weight/Height)/3000

This year:
Dontay Moch = 1.07
Justin Houston = 1.05

Everyone knows that the pros consider the jumps very important in evaluating explosion, but this is one of the strongest correlations I have everr seen. Great numbers on the jumps, properly adjusted for body size = outstanding bullrush. At core, there are two pass rushes--speed and power. This is the power group.

One more list
Demarcus Ware = 0.98
Manny Lawson = 1.06
Clay Matthews = 1.09
Shaun Phillips = 0.95
Thad Gibson = 1.03
Rob Ninkovich = 0.92
Brian Johnston = 1.07
Brad Jones = 1.02
Pierre Woods = 0.93

The stat is (Shuttle - 10 yd split) -1.6. Sort by draft slot.
These are all the stats under 1.10 plus under 7.0 on the 3 cone drill. The correlation is not as strong as above, but still pretty good.

This year:
Von Miller = 0.89
Sam Acho = 1.05
Gabe Miller = 0.96

If I had chosen Houston in the 3rd instead of Moch in the 2nd, I would ahve won a draft contest. I did go with Gabe Miller at #140.

Here is the full write up.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BTW, some guys in the over 7.0 3 cone group:
Ryan Kerrigan
Martez Wilson
Robert Quinn
Chris Carter
Brooks Reed

I give Quinn a bit of a pass, since he is not in football shape. Otherwise, these guys need to be hand down, and even then do not expect a lot.

J

nepg
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Here's the deal with the Chiefs...

Their biggest needs were:
1. WR (outside and slot)
2. C (immediacy of the need dependent on Wiegmann's retirement status)
3. Defensive Depth

Depending on Casey Wiegmann, they only had a need at one starting position on their entire roster (WR). They don't need anyone to come in and start on defense, they needed to bolter their depth.

They traded back and landed Baldwin, their target. You cannot say they should have traded back further because it's not smart to take a chance like that. I don't see Baldwin having any issues with this team. Haley has always done a great job with WRs and Baldwin already is becoming close with Larry Fitzgerald and Dwayne Bowe. The pick was surprising only because Pioli hasn't been a fan of drafting receivers in the first round and hasn't had much success drafting them in general.

They drafted probably the most athletic lineman in the draft to develop into their C in Rodney Hudson. Hudson is very smart, very athletic, and will be a great fit in the system.

The Houston pick was gold. Positive for pot made him fall, but that's not something I'd worry about. Houston could very well start opposite Hali as a rookie. He has great range and fluid hips. He should pick up the defense quickly and projects as a 3-down backer in that system.

Bailey is a freak. He'll bolster the depth and has amazing athletic tools. I don't think the Chiefs are sure what they'll do with him, exactly. Haley noted that his development been stunted by being moved all over the place in his time at Miami. From MLB to DT to DE...

Gabe Miller is Connor Barwin without the hype. There's no telling where he'll end up playing (TE, ILB, OLB), but will be a great special teams player in the meantime.

Jalil Brown was taken because he's an amazing special teams player with size and potential to develop into something as a DB.

Stanzi is the perfect backup/developmental QB to draft. I had him and Yates pegged as guys the Chiefs and Pats would target.

Powe might be a longshot to do anything, but well worth the chance.

The Chiefs hit a home run in this draft. Addressed all of their needs and became a much more talented group all-around.

onejayhawk
05-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Gabe Miller is NOT Conor Barwin. However, that description fits Houston to a T. If you want a name for Miller, Shaun Phillips. houston and Miller very much make a Merriman and Phillips style pair.

In the vein of my last post, 3-4 DEs do not correlate as readily. However, there is an elite group, which has done very well, and are drafted very high: Mario Williams, Marcus Spears to Ziggy hood and Igor Olshansky.

This years names:
JJ Watt
Allen Bailey

However, JJ Watt is a LOT better, almost unique. That being said, I will take an Igor Olshansky and say "Thank You" most sincerely.

J