PDA

View Full Version : Rate Your Team's Draft!

DBNYDP
04-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Make sure you state your teams name at the beginning of the post.

I'll post mine soon.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Ryan Kerrigan: C+: Nice motor and work ethic does not project as an every down player. Can't cover or play in space, too small to play on the line. Situational pass rusher. Could end up bulking up and playing DE ala Paul Kruger.

Jarvis Jenkins: B+: Very nice pick, slight reach. Perfect 5 tech prospect. Needs to get his body up to par though, a bit pudgy and not overly strong.

Leonard Hankerson: A: Steal. Big with decent speed and vertical ability. Needs to stop body catching though.

Roy Helu: C+: Really similar to Ryan Torrain. Hits the hole very quick and has some nice straight line speed. Negatives very small lower body, will never break a tackle, injury prone.

Dejon Gomes: C: Pretty big reach. Profiles as no more than a special teams player. Lots of intensity and special teams ability, not great in coverage. Has played LB before, could be used in that Reed Doughty role.

Niles Paul: C: Big and fast, playmaker. Doesn't run good routes and has suspect hands. Can be a kick returner. Said it earlier but really similar to Devin Thomas.

Evan Royster: D: Very nice hands, nice vision/patience. Slow as sin though. Might not have the speed to hit the hole in the NFL. Profiles as a 3rd down back, like his hands a lot. Slow and not strong, not a good combination.

Aldrick Robinson: A: Maybe our best pick of the draft. Speedy guy who is a prototype slot. Will probably have a much brighter future than Niles Paul.

Brandyn Thompson: C: Fast and a playmaker, lacks size to be a real contributor. Nickel DB at best.

Maurice Hurt: F: late 6th/7th round prospect prior to testing positive for drugs at the combine. Unlikely to make the roster.

Markus White: D: Pretty productive at FSU but doesn't fit well in a 3-4. Will have to play OLB but with a 4.9 forty it's not likely. He's an extremely extremely poor man's Andre Carter.

Chris Nield: C+: Should compete for a roster spot. Absolute plug. Great work ethic and strenth, lacks ideal NT size, doesn't penetrate, and has really short arms for a NT.

Quantity over quality but with the weakest roster in the NFL I'm fine with it.

Matthew Jones
04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Patriots picks:

1. Nate Solder - B+

Decorated left tackle with a lot of upside. Addresses a future need early.

Trade #28 for 2012 1st and #56 - A-

Would have been an A except that Ingram was on the board at the time.

2. Ras-I Dowling - B-

Future starting cornerback opposite McCourty but a slight reach (durability.)

2. Shane Vereen - B

Kevin Faulk replacement and valuable member of the RB committee.

3. Stevan Ridley - C-

Finishes out RB committee but Patriots still hadn't addressed OG/C/DE/OLB.

3. Ryan Mallett - A-

Great value and worth the risk as a long-term investment/bargaining chip.

3. Trade #92 and #125 for #219 and 2012 2nd - A

Great value on this one...potentially a high second round draft pick here.

5. Marcus Cannon - A-

Definitely worth the risk, but there is a small chance he doesn't fully recover.

5. Lee Smith - C-

Insurance for Alge Crumpler's shoulder surgery...fits but we need a LB bad.

6. Markell Carter - B+

Finally get a LB. Developmental guy I like, but we should have addressed earlier.

7. Malcolm Williams - D

Special teams ace with some versatility but will have a hard time making the team.

Overall: C+/B-

The draft wasn't the sum of its parts because New England failed to add a starting-caliber DE/LB.

JaxJag_1
04-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Jaguars

1. (10) - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri -- I -- We'll see, not sold yet. Hope he proves me wrong

3. (76) - Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh -- A+ -- Heir apparent at LG to Vinny Manuwai

4. (114) - Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union -- B+ -- Fits great as #3 option at WR immediately

4. (121) - Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming -- A -- Underrated prospect that is the future at FS

5. (147) - Rod Issac, CB, Middle Tennessee State -- B+ -- Immediate contributor at NB and ST.

Matthew Jones
04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Side note: It's worth mentioning that when the Patriots traded down from #60 to #73 (Ridley), the pick they added turned out to be Marcus Cannon.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I like the players the Pats got, players that fit the system. Won't shock me if Vereen and Ridley become productive players. Problem is I find using two high picks on RB's to be absurd when you don't address the front 7 at all, and lets be honest here Bellicheck could find productive backs in Undrafted free agency or late rounds. There is no question that he could turn guys like Jamie Harper and Jordan Todman into great players in his system. Personally I find those picks to be complete wastes when they could have made the oline younger or found starting or rotational front 7 players.

Matthew Jones
04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I like the players the Pats got, players that fit the system. Won't shock me if Vereen and Ridley become product players. Problem is I find using two high picks on RB's to be absurd when you don't address the front 7 at all, and lets be honest here Bellicheck could find productive backs in Undrafted free agency or late rounds. There is no question that he could turn guys like Jamie Harper and Jordan Todman into great players in his system. Personally I find those picks to be complete wastes when they could have made the oline younger or found starting or rotational front 7 players.

I'm with you, although I feel like Vereen was a strong value. Ridley had the 2nd-3rd grade from the advisory board as well. I think we should have took care of business in the front seven before drafting running backs, but I guess we didn't like the value at those spots. I think the offensive line was addressed well in the draft...New England would have had to trade up from #56 to get either Wisniewski or Hudson at center, but they ended up with a future LT in Solder and Cannon, who should develop into a starting guard here. A lot of the second level of centers went undrafted, so the Patriots should have an opportunity to sign at least one of those guys too, maybe a Tim Barnes or something. Dante Scarnecchia is a top OL coach, so I like the upside of the two guys they got and figure they might have some luck with a UDFA type guy.

Keep in mind that the draft takes place before free agency this year, so it's possible that the Patriots just drafted BPA regardless of position and figured they could sign some guys to fill out the rest of the roster later. One guy I like is Mathias Kiwanuka. He's 28, has experience at both DE and OLB, played for Tom Coughlin (a Parcells guy), and fits New England's OLB size requirement at 6'5", 265. He's coming off of an injury so he might be in New England's price range, and had four sacks in the three games before getting hurt. Some more options that might make sense are Matt Roth (played in Mangini's 3-4) or Manny Lawson (who'd be more expensive but does a good job of setting the edge and covering tight ends.) They could also explore trade opportunities.

bored of education
04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I am going in to this thinking any RFA will be brought back and not one UFA is brought back. You cannot assume any UFA is automatically brought back. That is the only way to really project some positional values in this draft.

So on to the draft itself.

Round 1:
Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - he may have attitude issues, but he put up some very good numbers. He had the worst D1 Qb throwing to him and had a solid year. The environment and locker room are a perfect fit to bring the best out of JB. If D-Bowe can turn it around no one can. That fact the KC traded back for an extra 3rd (Justin Houston) combined with this pick I give it a B+.

Round 2
Rodney Hudson, C, FL ST - he may not be the most stout or best anchor, but he is one of the best technicians in this draft. He will come in a be a starter first day at C. Grade A

Round 3a.
Justin Houston, OLB, UGA - other than the weed issue, I like this guy. he has experience in a Romeo Crennel system as the DC for UGA was the DC in Cleveland for Romeo when he was a HC. Familiarity with the system drives this grade up and also the fact this was an extra pick gained in a trade. First round talent, team captain, lead SEC in sacks. Great value, hits on one of the top 3 positions of need. Grade A

Round 3b.
Allen Bailey, DE, Miami - Will Tyson jackson ever live up to the potential? If not, KC drafted a guy who, with the right coaching under Anthony Pleasant and Romero can be a solid starter/rotationa; 5 tech. he needs to learn to use he hands better and that alone will make him a lot better player. Known as a hard worker, high motor guy and his raw talent is nasty. Grade B+

Round 4
Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado- The Chiefs have some mediocre players in the secondary that will not amount to more than ST guys in Ricky Price, Travis Daniels and Donald Washington. They have Brandon Flowers at LCB, Javier Arenas as the nickel guy, and the future of Brandon Carr is unknown. Everyone knows AJ Green owned Jalil, but Jalil is an intelligent bigger corner that provides depth that is needed with Carr's future unknown. Pioli made a trip personally to a Colorado game this year and saw him first hand. over all the need was there, where there better guys maybe but this was guy in the Pioli mold. Grade B

Round 5a
Gabe Miller, ILB/OLB - Oregon St - interesting guy here. only played one year at DE at OSU. Team captain, high effort, athletic specimen. This guy may project to be an ILB at the next level or even a developmental OLB. Hard to grade this one since I haven't seen much on him. pLus he has only played one year on defense..similar to Connor Barwin. ILB can always help a run game that was still not that good. Overall I will give this a C+, with the hopes if he starts at IL/OLB it will be a slam dunk.

Round 5b.
Ricky Stanzi, Qb, IOWA - I think Cassel is the only Qb under contract and Croyle sucks. A developmental, hard working, high character QB who with a 2-3 year polishing stage could end up a starter..somewhere. If not he will be an excellent back up. I like this pick a lot. I give it an A.

Round 6
Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss - NT may have been the biggest need going into the draft as their is not one NT on the roster under contract. A team captain who had a rough Sr campaign and some inconsistencies motor wise, Jerrell fits the mold of a perfect 0-tech 2 gap NT, the value here was just about right, I had him pegged mid 4th-early 5th though. But I was high on him. I still think this is a guy with a year under Romeo's tutelage could be a 2 down NT for KC. I give this a B+

Round 7
Something Gannon, FB, Yale. I dont even know this ******* guy. F

Some people who do not watch football and worry too much about stories and not really knowing the players themselves may not grade this like I did. But the environment and locker room that has been created since Todd and Soctt got their is the right one to bring out the best of these players. These are football players with some MINOR inconsistencies on and off the field. IF they reach potential A+++++, even if they don't the positional values and overall value of the players and how they fit I still give this class overall an A-.

Pat Sims 90
04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
For the Bengals

1(4) AJ Green WR Georgia--------- A+
Best Offense Player in the draft. Is going to come in a be the #1 starter from day 1 and make a instant impact. Will get Ochocinco out of town.

2(35) Andy Dalton QB TCU--------A+
Bengals took the risk of not trading for him and it paid off. Will be the starter from Week 1 and fits Jay Gruden offense perfect.

3(66) Dontay Moch OLB Nevada----------B+
This is a pick to try and bring back a David Pollack back to the Bengals. Will start out on Special Team and be brought in on passing downs to blitz. Will eventually become a starter once he learns the position.

4(101) Clint Boling OL Georgia--------- A+
Steal at this point in the draft. One of my favorite OL in this draft. Can play Guard or Tackle for the Bengals but will be Guard and could be starter week one at LG.

5(134) Robert Sands SS West Virginia--------B
Bengals needed to add a safety in this draft with the injuries they have had at safety. Sands is a big safety and could as be a starter week 1 since the Bengals safeties suck. If not he is a solid backup/special team player.

6(167) Ryan Whalen WR Stanford-----------B-
Adds depth to WR core and could be a bring contributer in the Run game and special teams with his blocking ability. Was Andrew Luck's favorit target last year.

7(207) Korey Lindsey CB Southern Illinois------------B
Good Developmental project and special teamer. Could be punt returner for the Bengals next year.

7(246) Jay Finley-----------C
Could be a role player for the Bengals in the backfield. More Quicker then fast.

Finally Grade--------A
Overall i give them a A because they come out of here with 5 potential starters and all 5 players could be starting week 1.

CJSchneider
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Round 1, Pick 24 (24) Cameron Jordan DE

I am still amazed this guy fell to us. A top 15 talent. I see him as a great addition to the Gregg Williams defensive scheme as he will have no problem setting the edge opposite Will Smith.

GRADE: A+

Round 1, Pick 28 (28) (From Patriots) Mark Ingram RB

Fellow "WHO-DAT" fans may think this was a bad pick and where I can't deny we paid well for it, I see this as an awesome pick. Ingram was by far the best RB in the draft and with the injury issues we had at RB last year, this pick will pay off huge in the years to come.

GRADE: A -

Round 3, Pick 8 (72) (From Redskins) Martez Wilson OLB

This was one of the guys we had hoped we could get in the 3rd round and it worked out. A versatile LB who will play SAM LB for us.

GRADE: A

Round 3, Pick 24 (88) Johnny Patrick DB

Another position we needed to add quality depth at. Patrick will surely contribute to Special Teams from the beginning and be a great sub.

GRADE: B+

Round 7, Pick 23 (226) Greg Romeus DE
If it were not for his back injury, Romeus was a first round talent. Taking a risk on him in the 7th will pay-off huge if he can get healthy. I expect to see the Saints running a great deal of schemes out of a "50" front if Romeus can stay healthy.

GRADE:A

Round 7, Pick 40 (243) (Compensatory Selection) Nate Bussey LB

Right position, wrong guy. I had so wished we had taken Herzlich here, but Bussey is a decent enough depth pick.

GRADE: B

OVERALL: A-

Woody56
04-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Overall I would give the Jets a solid B.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-30-2011, 09:39 PM
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like my teams draft.

Thecollegedropout
04-30-2011, 09:46 PM
I give the Jets a B going onto a B+

The Wilkerson pick was a very good one and I would go and give that a A-. I do always have concerns about 2nd round talent bursting into the 1st round but getting a big man like Wilkerson was a big need. Very versatile and I am confident that Rex Ryan can mold him into becoming a force. I really like the Ty Warren/Trevor Pryce comparisons for him....and having Pryce mentor him possibly for next season doesn't hurt.

The Kenrick Ellis pick gets a B for me. The character concerns take away an A grade but I really see Ellis as another Shaun Rogers, which from a talent standpoint is tremendous. Just have to hope that unlike Rogers, Ellis can use his head better and also not play as lazy. I do think that for the Jets who always contend and have a great HC in Rex Ryan that players love that this won't be an issue for Kenrick like it was for Rogers when playing with Detroit and Cleveland, two perennial bad teams that has seen head coaches come and go.

Bilal Powell gets a C+ for me but that doesn't mean I dislike the player. Just not a fan of getting another RB. Powell is a mean dude who has a great background story of once hanging out with the wrong crowd until coming across his high school coach who took him in like a 2nd father and got him onto the right path. Very strong back and one who is Shonn Greene like by that he has fumbling problems and may take some blows here and there but will pound the ball in and really has a nose for the endzone. I again think Bilal the player is going to be useful on the Jets but wanted to go after another position. With his background story, he is going to be one of the more well liked Jets on the team and a guy who is easy to root for.

Jeremy Kerley gets a B for me. Could be a viable option on special teams, projects to be a nice 3rd WR for the future. Kind of reminds me of a more polished Roscoe Parrish. Don't know if he can be a future starter on the squad but I trust Westoff with this pick and hope Kerley becomes the next standout special teamer.

Greg McElroy gets a B+ for me as we can really use a steady backup QB on this squad, especially since Sanchez has been unlucky with injuries for his 1st 2 seasons. McElroy is a bright guy who will understand his role as a backup who is soaking in the experience, which is vital to have on a team. McElroy won't cause any problems and could be a good piece to have when it comes to dissecting the clipboard/calling out plays. **** he might be a better offensive coordinator than Schottenheimer at this given moment so if Brian were to get fired in season, I say let Greg run the show LOL. But this is a pick that doesn't hurt if he fails at any given time so nothing to get upset over. Hopefully McElroy could learn how to hold onto snaps for kicks as Weatherford had his ups and downs at this last season. Could be Matt Flynn Pt II as that guy who can give you a start or two and perform decently if need be but isn't really a franchise QB.

Scotty McKnight gets a B+ for me since everything I have read about him makes him sound very good. We may have gotten ourselves a Blair White type of a player, who had some downs and ups for Indy last season but performed admirably as a UDFA. Some have been down on this pick since Sanchez may have essentially got him drafted but I disagree....you want your QB to be comfortable with the guys he is throwing with and with getting McKnight, you also create a bigger comfort zone for Sanchez as well, especially if and when Holmes leaves. Who knows if McKnight will stick on the team or not, but I have read that he is a tough little guy and had a great college career in Colorado, ranking high in their top WR totals. No big deal if he stinks, he was a late 7th rder...not going to go crazy.

diabsoule
04-30-2011, 09:51 PM
New Orleans Saints

1. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - Grade: A+
Jordan was one of the top-rated defensive ends available in this years draft class and to have him fall to number 24 was nothing short of miraculous. He will come in and immediately be a starter at LDE and help anchor a line that desperately needed to upgrade it's pass rush.

1. Mark Ingram, Running Back, Alabama - Grade: A
Ingram was widely considered the top running back out of this draft class and pairing him with Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, and Chris Ivory gives the Saints a formidable ground game that will help take the pressure off Brees. It will be worth giving up a future first if Ingram lives up to the hype he's already garnered.

3. Martez Wilson, Linebacker, Illinois - Grade: A
Again the Saints lucked out and had one of the top rated linebackers fall to them. Wilson is an immediate starter at strongside linebacker and gives the Saints defense some versatility, youth, and talent they have longed for for years.

3. Johnny Patrick, Cornerback, Louisville - Grade: B-
Each year it seems that a Saints CB is out at least two consecutive games due to injury. Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter, while above average starters, spend their fair share of time recuperating from dings, hits, bruises, and overall batterings. Patrick will come in and immediately lock down the dime position, offer special teams play, and be put into the nickel role when Greer and Porter are sidelined.

7. Greg Romeus, Defensive End, Pittsburgh - Grade: INC
This is receiving an incomplete grade because Romeus was injured for most of last year. If he can't recover from his maladies then all the Saints gave up was a 7th round pick. However, if he reverts to his junior season form then he vastly upgrades the Saints pass rush.

7. Nate Bussey, Linebacker, Illinois - Grade: C
A linebacker/safety type that offers vast special teams potential and will compete with Jonathan Casillas and Scott Shanle for the starting weakside linebacker spot. The team passed on Ian Williams and Cedric Thornton who could have helped provide depth along the DL

Overall draft grade: A

diabsoule
04-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Right position, wrong guy. I had so wished we had taken Herzlich here, but Bussey is a decent enough depth pick.

The problem with Herzlich is that he is strictly limited to playing SLB which is where Martez Wilson will play. Bussey is like a more talented Jonathan Casillas.

keylime_5
04-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Loved Cleveland's draft and what Tom Heckert has done the past 2 years in April. It's nice to have a bunch of draft picks in the early rounds to rebuild a team that badly needs to be rebuilt the right way - through the draft with homegrown talent in a specific system.

RD1-PHIL TAYLOR-DT-BAYLOR

B+. This guy has Kris Jenkins/Shaun Rogers type potential, but I think might end up being more of a Casey Hampton type. We wanted two huge DTs to plug the middle in our new 4-3 and we have them in Ahtyba Rubin (6'2"/330) and now Taylor (6'4"/340). Two huge young nose tackles to be our version of Sam Adams/Tony Siragusa ala the 2000 ravens or Traylor/Washington ala the 2001 bears. Would be a B simply b/c of the fact that we gave up a 3rd round pick that ended up being Justin Houston to move up and take him, but I kept it a B+ b/c of the fact that we got all those extra picks from Atlanta to move down. This guy was really high on our draft board, we needed top young defensive line talent in the worst way for years now and we finally have some coming in. Taking this guy was huge (no pun intended) since the Browns have not finished better than 27th in rush defense since the franchise's rebirth except for one year where we finished a whopping 23rd. With Rubin/Taylor in the middle that shouldn't be the case anymore.

RD2-JABAAL SHEARD-DE-PITTSBURGH

B+. I sort of called this pick myself prior to the 2nd day. A safer pick than Da'Quan Bowers or Brooks Reed, he fits the defensive scheme perfectly and gives us a pass rusher with a lower chance of busting than most DEs in this draft despite not having the ceiling of Quinn, A.Smith, Bowers, Kerrigan, or Clayborn. More top young defensive line talent which is a breath of fresh air in Cleveland.

RD2-GREG LITTLE-WR-NORTH CAROLINA

A+. Everyone loves this pick. Perfect for the west coast offense and has the talent of a #1 WR. Slid this far b/c of character issues and he didn't play last year. Compared to Anquan Boldin/Brandon Marshall. Has the talent to be this year's version of Mike Williams (TB) from last year.

RD4-JORDAN CAMERON-TE-USC

C+. Was a BPA pick who has tremendous upside. TE isn't our greatest need, though Ben Watson probably only has 2 more years as a starter, and in the fourth round you are usually drafting guys for positions that will be team needs 2 years from now, not team needs of today. Good fit in the WCO and 4th rounders are usually a crapshoot, so BPA at this pick was a good idea, but production in college and how raw this guy is should lower the expectations.

RD4-OWEN MARECIC-FB-STANFORD

B. Everyone loves this pick. We have to replace arguably the best fullback in the league in Lawrence Vickers who is about to become a free agent and isn't a great fit in the WCO, so we take a guy who will be an immediate fan favorite and special teams demon...and he can block to boot. Marecic/Hillis in the backfield will be scary for opposing linebackers. It was a 4th round pick for a guy who will see only ~30% of the offensive snaps and only impacts the game so much compared to other skill positions, so the grade is tampered.

RD5-BUSTER SKRINE-CB-CHATTANOOGA

C-. It's another high upside pick. This guy really profiles as a #3 or #4 cornerback at best. Has amazing speed but is not as good on the field as he is on the track. Probably the most likely pick so other than our 7th rounder to wash out of the league.

RD5-JASON PINKSTON-OL-PITTSBURGH

B+. We traded up to get this guy, who profiles as a future starter at guard or right tackle and is athletic enough to do so in the NFL for a long time if he develops properly. Good value and a potential starter, albeit not a potential star or anything like that.

RD7-ERIC HAGG-S-NEBRASKA

B-. This guy was the defensive team mvp on a team that had Prince Amukamara, Alfonso Dennard, Jared Crick, and Dejon Gomes. He was an all-american his senior year. I think this could end up being the Kurt Coleman of 2011, at least it's more likely that he is another Kurt Coleman than he is another Larry Asante. No expectations for this kid except to make the team his rookie year as a special teamer and 4th safety at most. Good value pick, he's not fast but he can play.

abaddon41_80
04-30-2011, 10:14 PM
49ers

1 (7) Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri - I actually wanted Robert Quinn here, or at least a trade down if we were gonna go with Smith. According to reports we did try and trade down so I can't be mad at that. Still, it was a slight reach.
Grade: B

2 (3) Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada - I thought we could have stayed at 45 and still gotten him but if we thought we needed to move up, the coaches must have heard something to make them think that. CK is one of my favorite QBs in the class and who I wanted if we went QB in round 2, would have rather had Stanzi later though.
Grade: C

3 (80) Chris Culliver, CB, South Carolina - I don't think he is a boom or bust like some people. He has tons of experience against top competition and can play safety or corner, as well as return kicks. He will compete for a starting job this year somewhere and, at worst, develop into a great nickel player than can start in a pinch.
Grade: B+

4 (115) Kendall Hunter, RB, Oklahoma State - Easily one of my favorite picks. I think that Hunter has the ability to start one day, reminds me a lot of a poor man's MJD, without quite the explosion and talent. He will provide a great change of pace to Gore and Dixon.
Grade: A

5 (163) Daniel Kilgore, OG, Appalachian State - Not really feeling this pick. Like CK, I don't know why we traded up for him. His ability to play guard or center which is a good thing, I suppose, and will probably get him a roster spot. Might be able to unseat starter Chilo Rachal but that isn't a very big accomplishment.

6 (182) Ronald Johnson, WR, USC - I was surprised he was still on the board, to be honest. He clocked a 4.45 and plays much faster than that with great explosion. Also a great punt returner. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #3 this year.

6 (190) Colin Jones, S, TCU - Would be surprised if he makes the team but it is a 6th round pick so who cares.
Grade: n/a

7 (211) Bruce Miller, DE/OLB (FB?), Central Florida - Maybe I am biased but I would be surprised if Miller doesn't make the team. I have seen him play both DE positions, OLB, ILB and even tackle a few times in his four years at UCF. I don't know if he will be a great FB but he is strong as heck and is going to work hard to make the conversion. Will also contribute on special teams.
Grade - A

7 (239) Mike Person, OL, Montana State - I don't see him as anything more than a training camp body that can fill in at multiple positions while the veterans take the day off.
Grade - n/a

7 (250) Curtis Holcomb, CB, Florida A&M - A four year starter is never a bad choice, and his Pro Day results aren't bad, but seems like just another camp body.
Grade - n/a

Overall - C+

Addressed our 3 biggest needs (OLB, CB and QB) and got some talented players but I can't really get fully behind a draft in which the first two picks can be labeled boom or bust. We did the same thing in 2008, Balmer and Rachal, and it hasn't worked too well.

killxswitch
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Colts draft

1:22 - Anthony Castonzo - B

Preferred Gabe Carimi. But he will immediately be the best OLman on the team and should handle the LT spot for the rest of Manning's career.

2:17 - Ben Ijalana - B+

I would've been just as happy and maybe happier with Stephen Paea here but I am thrilled with 2 OTs in the first 2 rounds.

3:23 - Drake Nevis - A+

Perfect fit for the team and excellent value near the end of the 3rd. I love this pick. I hope he is able to be the interior pass rusher we've needed for years.

4:22 - Delone Carter - B+

I predicted we would draft him but not til the 6th. Oh well, I still think he will be a great change of pace compared to Addai and Brown. We've needed a short yardage back and this guy reminds me a bit of MJD, a little bowling ball and a pain in the ass to tackle.

6:23 - Chris Rucker - B

I don't know a ton about Rucker and I don't know if they want him to play S or CB. I like his size. I would've rather had DeAndre McDaniel here but I won't knock the pick, it's the 6th round.

Overall Grade -> A-

This is the best Bill Polian draft since '98.

WMD
04-30-2011, 10:24 PM
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like my teams draft.
Nobody liked your teams draft.

BigJohn98
04-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Jaguars

1. (10) - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri -- I -- We'll see, not sold yet. Hope he proves me wrong

3. (76) - Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh -- A+ -- Heir apparent at LG to Vinny Manuwai

4. (114) - Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union -- B+ -- Fits great as #3 option at WR immediately

4. (121) - Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming -- A -- Underrated prospect that is the future at FS

5. (147) - Rod Issac, CB, Middle Tennessee State -- B+ -- Immediate contributor at NB and ST.

If it was Andy Dalton you'd give it an A.

TACKLE
04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
1. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

To me, this was a slam dunk pick. Immensly talnetd player who is exactly what we need on the outside. Has the ability to be one of the best cover guys in the league. Grade: A+

2. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

There were some WR's there I would of prefered personally but this addresses a major need and role. Adds a dangerous vertical threat and also a top notch person Grade: B+

3. Jah Reid, OT, UCF

I might be biased but he's one of my personal favorite in this draft. I love what he offers and think he can step in at RT and be a bookend to Michael Oher for years to come. I really believe he can develop into a David Stewart type player. Grade: A

4. Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana

Doss is a player I don't really have a good feel for but a lot of people seem to like. Adding more than one WR was important. Has starting potential on the outside. Grade: B

5. Chykie Brown, CB, Texas

Highly athletic player with a huge upside who is worth taking a chance on at the end 5th. Injury, tackling and age concerns but the talent is worth rolilng the dice on this late and you can never have enough quality CB's. Grade: B

5. Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State

Solid value, great scheme fit, provides depth at a position of need. Grade: B

6. Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech

Back-up QB was a really underrated need for the Ravens with only Hunter Cantwell under contract. I like the upside he offers. Not too sure how he'll work within the framework of the offense but he'll be a scrappy, playmaking backup in the mould of Troy Smith and Bruce Gradkowski. Grade: B-

7. Anthony Allen, RB, Georgia Tech

Solid value, offers that big downhill pounder which we don't have on the roster. Won't surprise me at all if he makes the roster and is able to make a contribution, especially in short yardage. Grade:B

Overall: B+

descendency
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Patriots

1. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
I hate Solder on film. I see good games and I see bad games. I'd rather have had Carimi to play RT and move Vollmer to LT. If the Patriots staff feels Vollmer should stay at RT, then this pick semi-makes sense (because Solder is a LT and only a LT). It's definitely a need because Matt Light isn't going to come back and be Matt Light again. Really, not taking Derek Sherrod was a mistake. (but that's another debate) Grade: C+

2. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
Sigh. Great talent, huge injury risk. I get the feeling this kid will never amount to anything in the NFL if he can't consistently stay healthy, which he hasn't. This reminds me of Terrence Wheatley again. Smart pick and dumb at the same time. Grade: C+

2. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
I moaned about this pick during the draft. I did that because I confused him with someone else. Sorry Man. This kid has Kevin Faulk potential. He's versatile in that he does everything. I want to make this an A+, but his talent may not have warranted a late second round pick. I saw this as a round too early. Grade: A.

3. Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
****. Reach. Sammy Morris's replacement. Special teams, FB, Short yardage. Not a 3rd round pick. Should be an F, but I'm glad someone finally is replacing the ancient Morris. Grade: D-.

3. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas.
If you want to know why the Patriots are a better franchise than yours, this is why. Love or hate Mallett, they got the highest upside, most pro-ready QB in this draft class in the 3rd round. I could write a book on why other teams are too stupid to tie their own shoes for letting Mallett slip into round 3. I realize this kid has all kinds of red flags, but in 3 years no one will care. This guy has Drew Bledsoe type talent. He has a very coachable attitude and his flaws are fixable. If this kid wasn't so immature, he would have gone top 5. He should have gone over Newton. Grade: A++++.

5. Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
Marcus may have to sit a year and may still not ever play. Cancer is serious but his is very beatable. That said, lol. If this guy heals up, the Patriots got another steal. This guy can play LG, RG, and RT. Maybe LT. He has tremendous feet. This is a risky pick and guy who will have to sit for a year, but with Dante S coaching him, I have full confidence he will be a monster for the Patriots. Grade: A+

5. Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
I really don't understand why you draft a blocking TE. What value do they really have? Just pick up an off the street OT. I do think he is the best blocking TE in the draft, so I'm not going to give them an F. Grade: D

6. Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas
Special teams. Grade: B.

7. Malcolm Williams, DB, TCU
Special teams. Grade: B.

Lots of people will love this draft class. I'm not lots of people. While the Patriots managed to add 2 future picks (Saints 1st, Raiders 2nd) and managed to make old pieces younger, I can't honestly say the Patriots are better for having drafted these guys. Bill Belichick's mantra is to just get better. I don't feel they really did that. This feels like a sideways step in many ways. They still lack a pass rush. They still lack solid interior DL. They still lack a vertical threat. They're really betting on young pieces that may have yet to show anything. Those were the major components to why the Patriots lost to the Jets twice and the Browns.

This was like replacing the sail on a ship while there is a huge hole in the hull.

Overall: D

Personally, I totally don't understand what they are doing in regards to the pass rush. I wanted to give them an F for that. Seriously. What the hell is going on out there? Whoops. Wrong coach.

jCut
04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
1. Von Miller - I think Von will end up being a very good player, but taking a SLB at #2 overall just isn't a good idea.

2. Rahim Moore - I'm not a fan of Moore, and I think his stock got bumped because of a weak safety class. We already have four safeties on the roster and we passed up on some very good interior linemen (Paea, Austin). We have one DT signed up for next season.
Grade: D

2. Orlando Franklin - I like the pick, as we need a replacement for Ryan Harris, who will likely depart for a better contract elsewhere. Franklin can also help inside, where Kuper and Beadles could use some stiff competition.

3. Nate Irving - We really need help at MLB, so I'm going to be optimistic with this pick.

4. Quinton Carter - Another safety? Carter seems like a nice replacement for Dawkins, but is he really that much better than a guy we already have on the roster in David Bruton?

4. Julius Thomas - We need help at TE, badly. Hopefully, Thomas is a solid blocker.

6. Mike Mohamed - It's a late round selection, so it's hard to complain, but Mohamed seems like a clear-cut backup. We already have solid backup LBs in Woodyard, Larsen, Mays and Haggan.

7. Virgil Green - Great value pick. I think this guy will end up being a steal.

7. Jeremy Beal - I think Beal would've been better off going to a 3-4 team, but at this point in the draft, he was worth a flier. His college production can't be ignored.

Overall, I think we missed the mark. Fox said he wanted four starters in the first 4 picks, and he may have them. But, we are still missing starters in the most crucial of spots. We only have Kevin Vickerson signed up to play defensive tackle. Nobody can deny that is a major concern for a team that hasn't been able to stop the run for years now. This was draft that was deep at that position, and we didn't take advantage of that. On the other hand, I think the pass-rush was significantly upgraded. The LB core also got a substantial upgrade. The addition of Franklin solidifies the offensive line and improves the overall run-blocking. We now have six safeties under contract, and I'm sure we will be able to find two solid starters in the bunch. Finally, with the additions of Julius Thomas and Virgil Green, we have improved our athleticism at TE.
Overall Grade: C

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Patriots

1. Nate Solder, LT, Colorado

I absolutely love this pick. Solder was my guy at tackle throughout the process and I'm certainly not going to back away from that now that my favorite team has decided to agree with me. I really think most of the issues people bring up with him are blown out of proportions to a certain extent. He's technically raw and not completely ready for NFL competition, but this is a guy who only allowed three quarterback pressures and one sack his entire senior season. Although the legitimacy of offensive line stats is always shaky at best, that's still somewhat of an illuminating figure to those who say he flat out sucks. He does a whole lot of things right as now and can do things with his athleticism and length few others can. Dante Scarnecchia is the best offensive line coach in the business right now, so if anyone can get something out of a toosly player it's him. That leads into the other thing that's absolutely fantastic about Solder; just how much of a high character guy he is. Listen to the Colorado coaches talk about him. It's not just the standard assortment of superlatives about football ability and leadership; you can tell that they know Solder is a legitimately good kid who soaks up and seeks out coaching. He actually went as far as to write an open letter to the entire Colorado fanbase for the poor performance of the team this year, apologizes for not meeting their expectations during his tenure there. Watch some interviews of this kid. He also excelled in the class room. He may be a little more passive than you would like from a football player, but he's a high character guy for sure.

A-
Talent counts for something in this league, and Solder has talent aplenty. Real good scheme fit too.

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB/S, Virginia
Love this pick. Dowling kind of got lost in the shuffle this year, but before the season there was some serious buzz about him being the first corner taken out of the Seniors. The tape on him really doesn't lie; he's the real deal talent wise. Love the fact that we took a bigger corner. McCourty is fantastic in all areas of the game and really flashed everywhere last year...but the one place I'm on the record of being slightly unsatisfied with in regards to his play is his being worked by bigger receivers at times. Dowling is a guy who can match up and run with the Braylon Edwards' of the world and not get beat due to size and length. It really stinks about the injury concerns, but in spite of them he's actually played a whole lot. Never really missed an unacceptable amount of time up until the broken ankle. That's more of a random thing than a chronic one too, so I really don't see any long term problems with him as far as health goes, besides the standard things nearly all NFL players work through. I do have some issues with his ability to change directions and cut, but if they ever turn out to be too large, just pull a Malcolm Jenkins. He projects to be an outstanding free safety if he fails out at cornerback due to his actions and zone coverage abilities. We have a need for a guy who can cover some ground at that spot with Merri's performance drops and issues with guns as well. Just like Solder, he's another real high character kid excelling in the class room and garnering excessive commendation from the people at Virginia. He well could end up being a leader in addition to a fantastic football player.

A
Love the boldness of it and the fact we're drafting upside and talent.

2. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
Vereen was my top ranked runner for us in the draft. I'm not the biggest fan of selecting a runningback at this spot, to be honest. That taints my perception of this pick more than a little bit with significantly needs on the board, but don't get the impression that it has absolutely anything to do with the player. Vereen is another one of those extremely well coached Cal backs that is going to come into this league and do everything well for a team. After a strong 2009 campaign behind Jahvid Best, many had him poised for a 1500+ yard breakout year. That didn't happen...but I don't feel like it's an issue of ability. He averaged 5.1 YPC this year and dealt with some nagging type injuries from what I understand. His availability here has a little to do with sheer lack of hype. If there was one player who got lost in the shuffle of the draft process, it was assuredly Vereen. As far as what he brings to the table, I love his game. He's a well built runner who can fight through arm tackles due to his pad level and upper body strength. That's in addition to his well above average speed. In our offensive scheme, a guy who can create instant offense and go 30+ yards at any given moment is far more valuable than a grinder type who picks up yards at a slower pace. Vereen isn't a pure home run hitter by any means, but it helps that he isn't a "feed me a million carries and I'll get you yards" type that many had illogically projected to us. We should be able to find a whole ton of things for him to do with his blocking skills and ability to catch the ball.

C-
We neglected needs and left a whole lot of talent that could help us on the board, B+ for value and fit.

3. Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
I don't think I really even need to get into this one all that much. Ridley is a guy who many sort of liked as someone who can come in and contribute in the later rounds...but not as a third round pick to a team that had already drafted a runningback and was in the top ten in rushing last year. I really don't understand this one. With Sammy Morris likely out, this seems to scream "Oh, well, let's find a guy who is kind of similar". We don't have a fullback in our offense as it stands right now, so Ridley will likely play that FB/TB hybrid kind of thing we like to do. That's a weird thing to put on a player you're drafting to be honest with you, but we must feel like he can do it for some reason. The real crime is that we left a lot of defensive talent that was sliding on the board here.

F
Just a horrible all around pick with very little redeeming to it.

3. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas.
I've written several novels on this already in other threads, so you'll all forgive me if I'm somewhat more concise than I was in the others; I don't like this pick in any way whatsoever. It's a bad scheme fit, a bad cultural fit, and just an all around weird thing to do with Tom Brady under contract for a significant amount of time. I was pretty outspoken in the past about not being a fan of the way Mallet conducts himself, far worse than Cam Newton who has come under more fire for a lot less, and I'm not going to change my tune in the slightest just because he's a New England Patriot. If Mallett played any position besides quarterback(or wasn't 6'7 with an NASA quality rocket attached to his right arm), we would all likely be rooting against him to a certain extent, ala some people with Nick Fairley. From a risk/reward perspective, this makes some sense...but when you have that kind of arm and are off quarterback needy teams boards entirely due to the way you conduct yourself and your substance use I flatout don't want anything to do with you. This is the kind of guy we've made a living and won championships by passing on before...and we don't this time around because of the potential to get more draft picks. Risk/reward...wouldn't it be more rewarding to not dick around and get cute with defensive talent around and do something to try to get better for next year? Especially when you're 14-2 and two games away from the Super Bowl.

D.
I just don't like it on any level. Essentially, it's trading into the future and betting you can turn a third round pick into a first round pick at a later date. We all know Bill loves that...but I'm sick to death of it. Especially given the circumstances.

5. Marcus Cannon, G, TCU
I had Marcus Cannon as a guy completely off our boards. Throwing the cancer stuff out the window for a moment, I'm completely shocked that we drafted him. He's a huuuuge guy with quick feet, but I question his ability to pull and play in space. Now, don't get me wrong, he moves well and he can mirror, but I just don't see him being a guy who can block when the play isn't in front of him. That's something that's important for our guard to be able to do in our scheme. I'm not really concerned about the issues of technique. As I mentioned with Solder, I'm extremely confident in Dante Scarnecchia's abilities as a teacher and coach. He should be able to help him out with some of those issues with his kick step and locking on and maintaining blocks. I'm also not convinced that he's a completely natural bender, but again, something that you can fix or at least minimize. Now, getting the fact that Cannon doesn't fit our profile out of the way, I'm going to say that I sort of like that. In the past, we've shown an unwillingness to take some of these massive, strong linemen and have been abused accordingly by any 3-4 team with a competent nose tackle. Most of the blame for that falls on center and notorious ***** of Kyle Williams, BJ Raji, Casey Hampton, Ahtyba Rubin, and Ndamukong Suh Dan Koppen...but some of it has to do with the general lack of anchoring ability along the interior. Despite Cannon not delivery an exceptionally violent initial punch, that shouldn't be an issue with how strong and hard to move Cannon is. Getting back the the elephant in the room and the biggest reason that Cannon fell this far, his Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma really isn't all that serious a thing as far as cancer goes(which is always serious, don't get me wrong). This isn't Mark Herzlich we're talking about, luckily. The prognosis for Cannon is very good and he could be ready to go by the middle of July according to some reports, but that's assuming a lot and I won't personally be placing such a high expectation. Even if it does take him some time to work through, it's worth a pick.

B.
Not the best scheme fit in the world, but if they can work through that and the health issues, he could be one of the biggest steals in this draft class and an exceptional player.

5. Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
A potential G/T conversion candidate. He really showed up for the Senior Bowl and looked quite good in spots as a blocker. It's a little weird for us to take a tight end with the success we had as a unit there last season, but I understand it to a certain extent and Smith is a pretty good value here in the 5th round. This might have something to do with Alge Crumpler's immediate future with the team than we realize...or we could cut him in training camp. One of those types of picks. Disappointed that we didn't select Cris Carter or Ricky Elmore in this spot like I thought we would.

D
Good value, but not at a position of need. There might not be a spot for him on the roster either, might need to be a practice squad player initially and he's a prime candidate to get poached there by a team that's in need of his services more than we are.

6. Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas
Finally a defensive player! A DE to OLB conversion prospect too! Wow. I'm thrilled by this selection for that alone! Moving past that, Carter is a guy who's name I have heard brought up more than once as an intriguing type of player, but not much more. Wasn't real productive down at Central Arkansas and judging by his physical profile, that probably has a lot to do with his technical ability. Raw kind of guy who might not have a real place in the NFL because of it. The real crime here is that Ricky Elmore was still on the board at this point and has far more natural pass rush skills....and was a guy who were linked to at times. Not usually a big deal with sixth round picks, but that one stings a bit, I'm not going to lie.

C
A player with some athletic ability, but not someone who you're going to hear a whole lot about. I would absolutely love to be wrong. Graded low because I thought we directly passed on a player with a whole ton more value and talent.

7. Malcolm Williams, ST, TCU
Pure special teams player with good athletic skills who can get up and down the field in a hurry supposedly. Considering there's absolutely zero film out there on him and I really don't know next to anything about him aside from triangle numbers, I won't pass judgement.

wicket
05-01-2011, 01:33 AM
New Orleans Saints

Cameron Jordan: A slam dunk pick if ever there was one, great value and the biggest need for the saints collided and Jordan is going to be mighty productive as a Saint. Presumably a day 1 starter.
A+

Mark Ingram: This Pick&Trade still makes me nauseus, the saints did not need a running back and the type of back ingram is does not fit in the saints system. Unless Payton quits/dies/gets fired before the season this pick will do barely anything to help the team. No Need+No Fit+ giving up way to much.
F

Martez Wilson: Will have a shot to contend for the starting SLB spot straight away. Gives some scheme diversity, good athlete, productive player, good fit and great value again.
A+

Johnny Patrick: I get the reasoning behind the pick but I think its weaksauce. Saints are deep as hell at corner and Patrick doesnt project as anything more than maybe a nickel. With the amount of needs the saints had there could have been a ton of picks that help the program more.
C

Greg Romeus: A big gamble with his back issues but if he ever does come back healthy it will be one of the steals of the draft. With spending just a seventh rounder on him I love that gamble.
A

Nate Bussey: A pick that makes sense but I just dont see bussey ever being productive on a pro team. I dont see the traits of his game where the staff wants to build on
C+

Overall grade B-

The Ingram Pick&Trade really screws up what besides that is an excellent draft so I dont let one moment of insanity by loomis kill the whole draftgrade. However it will leave some sour taste in my mouth as it is an inexcusably bad pick&trade. Gettign what I believe to be 2 instant starters on a contender is a good days hunting though

the natural
05-01-2011, 01:42 AM
1. Von Miller - I think Von will end up being a very good player, but taking a SLB at #2 overall just isn't a good idea.

2. Rahim Moore - I'm not a fan of Moore, and I think his stock got bumped because of a weak safety class. We already have four safeties on the roster and we passed up on some very good interior linemen (Paea, Austin). We have one DT signed up for next season.

2. Orlando Franklin - I like the pick, as we need a replacement for Ryan Harris, who will likely depart for a better contract elsewhere. Franklin can also help inside, where Kuper and Beadles could use some stiff competition.

3. Nate Irving - We really need help at MLB, so I'm going to be optimistic with this pick.

4. Quinton Carter - Another safety? Carter seems like a nice replacement for Dawkins, but is he really that much better than a guy we already have on the roster in David Bruton?

4. Julius Thomas - We need help at TE, badly. Hopefully, Thomas is a solid blocker.

6. Mike Mohamed - It's a late round selection, so it's hard to complain, but Mohamed seems like a clear-cut backup. We already have solid backup LBs in Woodyard, Larsen, Mays and Haggan.

7. Jeremy Beal - I think Beal would've been better off going to a 3-4 team, but at this point in the draft, he was worth a flier. His college production can't be ignored.

Overall, I think we missed the mark. Fox said he wanted four starters in the first 4 picks, and he may have them. But, we are still missing starters in the most crucial of spots. We only have Kevin Vickerson signed up to play defensive tackle. Nobody can deny that is a major concern for a team that hasn't been able to stop the run for years now. This was draft that was deep at that position, and we didn't take advantage of that. On the other hand, I think the pass-rush was significantly upgraded. The LB core also got a substantial upgrade. The addition of Franklin solidifies the offensive line and improves the overall run-blocking. We now have six safeties under contract, and I'm sure we will be able to find two solid starters in the bunch. Finally, with the additions of Julius Thomas and Virgil Green, we have improved our athleticism at TE.

Beal was just as effective stat wise as Miller in the Big 12. Either they got a huge bargain at the end of the draft or not much of one at the beginning.

the natural
05-01-2011, 01:46 AM
I thought Gabbert was a great pick for Jacksonville, considering the situation there. Maybe Wayne Weaver is thinking of moving the team to L.A. at some point. If the team muddles along for the next couple of years, which they may well do, it is a distinct possibility. Give Gabbert a couple of years to grow and he would own L.A. and Hollywood. Not that he is the glitzy type, but it would be Brady times ten.

comahan
05-01-2011, 01:49 AM
1. JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin - Grade: B+
While I'm not really a fan of him personally, he's a good player that adds much needed depth to a shallow DL rotation, and will allow Wade Phillips to do more things with Mario Williams than he would have otherwise been able to do. For that, I like the pick.

2. Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona - Grade: A-
Connar Barwin, a converted DE coming off of a major injury, was our best option at rush backer before this pick. Good player at a position of need that will come in right away and hopefully make an impact. Like this pick a lot.

2. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - Grade: A
My favorite pick of our draft. I was able to watch Harris in almost every one of the Miami games last year, and I always came away impressed. Very solid in all areas, and did something on a consistent basis that no DB in a Texans uniform was able to do last year: not suck. Hopefully he's able to continue it at the next level, cause I love him, and this was a HUGE need at a position of glaring weakness.

4. Rashad Carmichael, CB, Va Tech - Grade: B
He's another CB, so I automatically approve. What this pick tells me though, is that Glover Quin is probably moving over to safety, another move that I'm excited for. Quin is decent at times as a corner, and shows flashes of good play, but I think he would be much better as a safety, and adding another CB allows Quin to make that transition.

5. Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho - Grade: C
Oh look, another DB. I love the fact that Houston realized their needs, and addressed the hell out of them. As far as Keo the player, Pollard is gone, so adding a thumper at safety is nice.

5. TJ Yates, QB, North Carolina - Grade: B
Dan Orlovsky is terrible, and Matt Leinart... well yea. This was much needed, and Yates will have plenty of time to learn on the sideline as Matt Schaub throws for 4500 yards every year.

7. Derek Newton, OL, Arkansas State - Grade: Who the **** knows?
I have no idea who this is. OL depth is always nice though, I guess.

7. Cheta Ozougwu, DE/LB, Rice - Grade: C-
Local kid at a position of need. I approve. However, id would have preferred to have seen someone like Ian Williams at this pick, as Im not super confident in Earl Mitchell.

Had needs, addressed them with good players. My favorite Texans draft since 2006.

BigBanger
05-01-2011, 02:23 AM
1. JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin - Grade: B+
While I'm not really a fan of him personally, he's a good player that adds much needed depth to a shallow DL rotation, and will allow Wade Phillips to do more things with Mario Williams than he would have otherwise been able to do. For that, I like the pick.

2. Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona - Grade: A-
Connar Barwin, a converted DE coming off of a major injury, was our best option at rush backer before this pick. Good player at a position of need that will come in right away and hopefully make an impact. Like this pick a lot.

2. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami - Grade: A
My favorite pick of our draft. I was able to watch Harris in almost every one of the Miami games last year, and I always came away impressed. Very solid in all areas, and did something on a consistent basis that no DB in a Texans uniform was able to do last year: not suck. Hopefully he's able to continue it at the next level, cause I love him, and this was a HUGE need at a position of glaring weakness.

4. Rashad Carmichael, CB, Va Tech - Grade: B
He's another CB, so I automatically approve. What this pick tells me though, is that Glover Quin is probably moving over to safety, another move that I'm excited for. Quin is decent at times as a corner, and shows flashes of good play, but I think he would be much better as a safety, and adding another CB allows Quin to make that transition.

5. Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho - Grade: C
Oh look, another DB. I love the fact that Houston realized their needs, and addressed the hell out of them. As far as Keo the player, Pollard is gone, so adding a thumper at safety is nice.

5. TJ Yates, QB, North Carolina - Grade: B
Dan Orlovsky is terrible, and Matt Leinart... well yea. This was much needed, and Yates will have plenty of time to learn on the sideline as Matt Schaub throws for 4500 yards every year.

7. Derek Newton, OL, Arkansas State - Grade: Who the **** knows?
I have no idea who this is. OL depth is always nice though, I guess.

7. Cheta Ozougwu, DE/LB, Rice - Grade: C-
Local kid at a position of need. I approve. However, id would have preferred to have seen someone like Ian Williams at this pick, as Im not super confident in Earl Mitchell.

Had needs, addressed them with good players. My favorite Texans draft since 2006.
I think Houston had the best draft. Rounds 1 through 3 could not have gone any better. Stud players that will really help that defense. That defense really sucked and they were in prime position to add some key defenders. I don't think they could have done any better. Shiloh Keo in round 5 is really nice. Carmichael shouldn't make an NFL team with his atrocious tackling. He plays scared and shies away from contact. He's almost unwatchable.

onejayhawk
05-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Chiefs

Rd 1, (26) Baldwin, Jonathan WR - I am not thrilled with this pick, but it is about the right place. Mockers had soured on Baldwin, but not the Pros.
Rd 2, (55) Hudson, Rodney OL - Likely the best ZBS C, and top 3 for OG. Solid value, and addresses a thin bench and future hole
Rd 3, (70) Houston, Justin LB - Sick value. First round talent, and team captain, but with a marijuana issue. At his point in the draft, we can cope.
Rd 3, (86) Bailey, Allen DL - Sick value again. Players with this skillset generally go in the first round, and there are a couple top 10.
Rd 4, (118) Brown, Jalil DB - Colorado's other CB. Good size and coverage skills, but suffers in comparison to Jimmy Smith. Again, good value.
Rd 5, (135) Stanzi, Ricky QB - Its a theme. Good value at the slot. Steady, smart, good game control qualities. Zero flash.
Rd 5, (140) Miller, Gabe OLB - The first "Who is that?" pick. This is the captain of Steven Peae's defense. Only two years on defense (TE), and only 1 year starter. High character AND high tools. Very short history.
Rd 6, (199) Powe, Jerrell DL - My least favorite pick. Pure need, but at value. He looks soft and slow to me. Ian williams and Blaine Sumner are undrafted. More bodies may be brought in.
Rd 7, (223) Bannon, Shane RB - The other "Who is that?" pick. Off all the radar til his workout numbers were posted. He's huge, 270 pounds, and blocks like a truck. And he has good hands and plays ST. FB, H-back, blocking TE, or all of above.

There are a couple clear need selections, C and NT. Both were filled with players at or near their slot value. There are also three really high value picks, a good value DB, two very intriguing no names and Jonathon Baldwin. I give Baldwin a B-. The rest of the draft is an A. Overall B+

J

Smash28Dash34
05-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Carolina Panthers

Cam Newton: This pick is hard to grade right now. I thought AJ Green or Patrick Peterson was the right pick here, but Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera fell in love with Cam weeks before the draft. I still remain firm that they gave up on Clausen to early, but you know how it goes. "New Staff means New QB." Cam has said all the right things in the media so far, but he is under more pressure than any other player coming out of this draft hands down. Only time will tell if the Panthers have found their guy or they are the next franchise to miss on taking a QB 1st overall.

Grade: TBD

Terrell McClain/Sione Fua: 2 3rd round picks. 2 defensive tackles. DTs were ultimately the biggest need on this team and they used both picks in the third round to fill the need. McClain has the strength needed to play the 3-technique in a 4-3 and gets consistent penetration. McClain is great against the run, but struggles to find the QB and will have to work on that if he hopes to get any sacks his rookie year. Fua will compete to play opposite McClain as the NT for the Panthers. Fua was one of the best players on that Stanford defense and is flexible enough to play in either a 4-3 or a 3-4. Sexy picks? No, but the Panthers were drafting for need and not BPA.

Brandon Hogan

Who did we just take at the top of the 4th round? That was my reaction when his name was announced with guys like Taiwan Jones, Edmond Gates and Luke Stocker on the board. But again, the Panthers went need here and CB is a definite need with Richard Marshall likely gone going into next year. Brandon is not big in stature by any means (5'10-192lbs), but plays very aggressive and shows up on tape. One of his greatest highlights was running stride for stride with Chiefs 1st round pick Jonathan Baldwin and breaking up a would be TD pass. Hogan gets lost in coverage a lot and is nowhere near ready to take the field right away.

Grade: C-

Kealoha Pilares

Who? Had no idea who this guy was, but after some much needed research he could be the guy the Panthers look back on as the steal of their draft. He tore his PCL his last year at Hawaii, but quickly recovered enough in time to run a 4.41 at the combine. He is a converted RB who had 1300 yds at WR last year. He is small at 5'10, but he is toughness goes without question. The one thing you notice watching this guy on film, he loves to go over the middle and does not shy away from contact. He had 19 reps in the bench press as well (2 more than Julio Jones). He has the physical play and speed to be a great slot WR. WTF pick Armanti Edwards from last year is in even more trouble now with this guy on the roster.

Lawrence Wilson

This was considered the only pick in the draft where the Panthers went BPA. Wilson had 123 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks for Uconn last year. At this point in the draft he was considered the best 4-3 blitzing LB left on the board. James Anderson and Thomas Davis are both FAs and the Panthers are likely to only keep one. The Panthers have done a great job developing LBs like James Anderson and Dan Connor. I am very confident Wilson will too.

Zachary Williams

This was a horrible pick. A center from Washington State who got thrown around like a rag doll at the senior bowl and struggled exchanging the ball to the QB. I guess this guy was taken to be a backup to Kalil, but I doubt he even makes the roster with better players on our roster already.

Lee Ziemba

Great value for a 7th round pick. Lee will come in and compete for the RT job. If he develops, it could allow for them to move Jeff Otah to RG and finally help solve their problem at RG. Lee should have been taken higher than he was and the Panthers were smart to pick him up. Lee was the best blocker for Cam at Auburn last year and hopefully that trend continues for Carloina in the future.

Overall Grade: C+

A very bland and average draft after the Cam Newton pick. Nothing to get you excited on paper. The Panthers went the safe route by filling their needs and not taking many risks. This draft will ultimately be defined by what becomes of Cam Newton. If he develops and becomes the franchise QB the Panthers picked him to be, Marty Hurney keeps his job. If Cam flops like most people think he will, Marty Hurney gets ran out of town faster than Kerry Collins did and the Panthers become a revolving door in the NFC South and the NFL in general. As a fan of this team, I'm praying its the 1st option.

Docta
05-01-2011, 03:12 AM

They made a terrible decision by not picking a DT. If you say you're going to switch to a 4-3, then show that you're serious about it. Defense has always been their weakness.

jayceheathman
05-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Houston Texans

JJ Watt-I like this pick and everyone is going to grade this decision off of how well Prince Amukamara plays because CB was a bigger need for us than DE.

Brooks Reed-I guessed before our selection that we would either take Brooks Reed or Brandon Harris so I can't complain with this pick. Injured Connor Barwin is all we have on the outside so definitely fills a big need. Great pick by the Texans. He will come in and start from day one and I think he will make a huge impact on the defense.
Grade: A+

Brandon Harris-I love that we finally made a move to trade up and get Harris with the 60th pick when just about all of us here thought he would be a late first rounder. CB obviously fills the biggest need for the Texans. We end up getting both of the players I thought we would choose from before the round started.

Rashad Carmichael-I like Carmichael and even drafted him for the Texans in the last forum mock, but I also made the selection in the 6th round and not the 4th like the Texans. I hate the value with this pick because both Davon House and Brandon Burton were both on the board. Brandon Burton went to high school in Houston and we all know how much of a Davon House homer I am. Both of them can tackle better than Carmichael as well.

Shiloh Keo-WTF? Maybe Wade Phillips can prove me wrong, but Shiloh is not going to be seeing the field in anything but special teams with a 40 time of 4.8. Mario Williams is faster and weights 80 pounds more. Once again, guys like Jeron Johnson and DeAndre McDaniel were still on the board. Either of them would have been a better choice that Shiloh.

TJ Yates- Another WTF moment for the Texans. Every year we draft a late round QB and I dont think any of them have ever seen the field. We always end up signing some QB in FA like Orlovsky anyways. We already have 3 QB's on the board when we needed depth at WR. Jeremy Kerley was on the board and picked right after us, and he would have made a much bigger impact than Yates.
Grade: D-

Derek Newton-I like this pick. At least he will be a solid backup in my opinion and provides some good depth with a 7th round pick.
Grade: B-

Cheta Ozaugwu-I dont know anything about him even though he played at Rice. Can't really make too much of an opinion about it.

Overall, I like what we did in Day 1 and Day 2 but I hate what we did in Day 3. Would have preferred House, Jeron Johnson, and Jeremy Kerley instead of Carmichael, Keo, and TJ Yates.

S2TheEvo
05-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Vikes:

1 (12). Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State - [B-] If I was to grade this pick immediately after it happened, I would have without a doubt gone with a D/F. When you think Christian Ponder, you don't think 12th overall pick. However, I have since warmed up to the pick quite a bit. We're not getting a guy with the highest ceiling, but we're getting a player that can get in there immediately and has a good shot to be a solid starter for years to come at a position that we were in DESPERATE need of. Nobody can argue that it was a good value at the spot, but when you look at things in the long run, I think we could have done a lot worse here. I've already started to grow fond of him... that's my team, that's my quarterback. *tear*

2 (43). Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame - [B+] Very good value here, Rudolph definitely has first round talent. If his body can hold up, we've got ourselves a pro-bowl caliber pass catcher. I could have gone higher with the grade, but this is a case where I absolutely love the player and just thought there were more pressing needs to be filled (although I'm not a huge fan of Big Vis). I completely understand the rationale of getting Ponder more weapons, but again, more pressing needs.

4 (106). Christian Ballard, DL, Iowa - [A+] My favorite pick of our draft. Given the current situation with KWill's possible suspension and Fat Pat's likely retirement, he can step right in and contribute there. There's a big possibility that Edwards won't return and at this point I don't see much hope for Everson Griffen, so he can step in and contribute there as well. I saw him as a late first/early second round talent, so it's well worth the risk at this point.

5. (139). Brandon Burton, CB, Utah - [B+] Another good value pick here, which is the trend for most of our draft. I expected Burton to come off the board on Day 2 and CB depth was needed. Value + need = win.

6. (168). Demarcus Love, OT, Arkansas - [B] Experienced starter with solid potential who got worked over at the Senior Bowl. With a need for both tackle and guard depth, this is another case of getting value and need.

6. (170). Mistral Raymond, S, USF - [C] Not going to pretend that I saw much of him. Watched some clips of him after the pick (where he flashed a bit), but it's hard to see exactly what you're getting from a player from their best highlights. Don't HATE the pick (yet), but there were other safeties on the board that I would have preferred.

6. (172). Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock - [A] My favorite of our 6th round run of picks. With the right development, I think we've got our center for the future -- or possibly even sooner than that, as I see him passing Sullivan sooner rather than later.

6 (200). Ross Homan, OLB, Ohio State - [B+] Not a huge Homan fan, but at the point where he was picked, I'll take it. I'm hoping Leber sticks around for a bit longer, but if he doesn't, we could do much worse in replacing him. Good value.

7. (215). De'Aundre Reed, DE, Arizona - [C] Don't hate the pick, but wanted Romeus.

7. (236). Stephen Burton, WR, West Texas A&M - [B-] Solid developmental receiver.

Overall: I'll go with a B+. The Ponder and Rudolph picks have grown on me a bit and I LOVED what we did on Day 3.

Monomach
05-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Bears

1. Gabe Carimi, A+
Holy crap. Such a good pick. I had him as the #1 tackle in this draft. I think all of the talk that he can't play LT is horse crap. He faced most of the DEs in the first round and held his own along with some of theirs. This is a case of people seeing a tackle run block so well that they automatically think "right tackle." I'm telling you, this guy is just barely worse than Jake Long. He's going to start and be the best OL on the roster right away.

2. Stephen Paea, A+
Another incredible pick. #3 DT in the draft behind Dareus and Fairley. Another day one starter.

3. Chris Conte, F
One of Jerry Angelo's patented "upside" picks that always turn out to be career special teamers. I like the theory, but I hate that he keeps doing it with third round picks. That's what fifths, sixths, and sevenths are for. Left Clint Boling on the board, who probably could have started at guard right away. Davon House, too.

5. Nathan Enderle, C
Career backup guy. Nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, there were much better players left for the taking. Should have just signed a veteran backup. If Cutler goes down, we're done, anyway.

6. JT Thomas, F
Despite what Bears homers say, this guy has no chance to start. Well, no chance to start and deserve the job. We'd better re-sign Nick Roach. In fact, Thomas shouldn't even back up at SLB. He should be backing up Briggs at WLB. Wasted pick, much better talent left on the board. There are about a dozen UDFAs I'd rather have.

Overall a B. It's been a long time since we've drafted two players of Carimi and Paea's caliber in one draft.

J-Mike88
05-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Bears

1. Gabe Carimi, A+
Holy crap. Such a good pick. I had him as the #1 tackle in this draft. I think all of the talk that he can't play LT is horse crap. He faced most of the DEs in the first round and held his own along with some of theirs. This is a case of people seeing a tackle run block so well that they automatically think "right tackle." I'm telling you, this guy is just barely worse than Jake Long. He's going to start and be the best OL on the roster right away.

2. Stephen Paea, A+
Another incredible pick. #3 DT in the draft behind Dareus and Fairley.

Overall a B. It's been a long time since we've drafted two players of Carimi and Paea's caliber in one draft.
I agree, you guys (Bears) and the Lions, really added a couple-three instant impact-type guys in the draft, and I don't like that. I'm not sure how good Paea will be though. Carimi will anchor your OL though under OL coach Mike Tice.

The Lions got 3 impact guys.

As for the Packers draft (no cheesehead has commented yet)
The Sporting News' Dennis Dillon list the Packers as one of five teams who helped themselves the most. Says Dillon: "Is it possible their already potent offense could become even more dynamic?" http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/super-bowl-champs-even-stronger-on-offense

NFLDraftScout.com's Rob Rang gave the Packers an A, the best grade in the NFC North and one of only five A grades. Says Rang: "The Packers continue to retool the most talented roster in the league." http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/draft/story/15008443/final-nfl-draft-grades-and-analysis

Also at The Sporting News, Clifton Browns gives the Packers a grade of A- for their draft. His analysis: "Batted from the last spot in the draft, yet still hit a home run. Getting Derek Sherrod and Randall Cobb adds depth to a team already stacked." http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-30/nfl-draft-grades-lions-patriots-ace-their-tests-jets-swing-and-miss

CBSSports.com's Will Brinson lists the Packers among his winners of the draft. http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/28959968

I personally give the Texans the top grade in this draft, and love what the Saints, Bengals, Lions, Bucs, Steelers, and Chiefs did. Sure the Saints paid a lot to get Ingram, but if he's that impact RB that they think he is, they just added a couple of immediate upgrades to an already good team. Most 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders don't make final rosters anyway, of teams as good as the Saints. Ingram sure will.

scottyboy
05-01-2011, 09:55 AM
1. Prince Amukama, CB, Nebraska: I love it. love love love love it. you get a guy with top 10 talent at 19? Prince and CWeb are guys I trust one v one and Thomas and Ross combine for one hell of a CB group. Throw in Phillips and Rolle and the Giants now have one of the best secondaries in the league, combined with an elite pass rush. yea, that's freaking awesome.

A+

2. Marvin Austin, DT, UNC: People are flipping because it's not Paea. Whatever. Boom or bust pick here, so i like the risk element here. He has all the potential in the world to be a star, let's see if Coughlin and guys like Osi and Tuck can help him reach it. I would've been fine with T-Rex Paea (who got super boner hyped because his bench press...last I check you don't bench press OLmen...) All in all, I'll give it a B+ it adressed needs with a pass rushing DT, and is security if Cofield walks. has the potential to be a huge F- though, I'll say that.

3. Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy- At first I was super pissed. Wanted Mason Foster sooooooooooooo badly. so so so badly. I know Jernigan is good and great value but with Nicks, Manningham, Barden, Hixon, Cruz, Thomas, Calhoun and potentially Steve Smith back, we've got a ton of young bodies at WR. however, his return skills will be awesome and who knows? maybe he's Manningham's future replacement in the slot. But WR was no where close to a position of big need I feel and we missed out on Foster so B-

4. James Brewer, OT, Indiana- He is a large man and perhaps the heir to McKenzie on the RT spot. Idk, we needed some OL youth and depth. Nice potential B

6. Greg Jones, LB, MSU- uhm, a talented kid like this falls to the 6th round? yes plz. We get a LB'er and Jones has some potential for us. I mean, the Giants have been terrible at developing LB'ers recently but who knows? position of need and good steal in the 6th
A-

6. Tyler Sash, S, Iowa- Tough competitor and smart kid. Played well at Iowa, fell due to athletic limitations. Nice pick...but he's not Joe Lefeged...
B

6. Jacquian Williams, LB, poop school- so another crappy LB'er from a crappy school that we'll end up cutting in training camp. nice.
F

7. Da'rel Scott, RB, Maryland- Was hoping for Dion Lewis are our speedy back for this draft, but Scott's not bad. Ok pick as far as 7th rounders go. B

Overall, I'll give this draft a B+. Prince is awesome and I personally like Marvin Austin.

DoughBoy
05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Jake Locker- I like the pick. I believe he is going to turn into a good QB if we manage him right and I am in the group that think most of his flaws are correctable. Don't think he is going to be Steve Young, but think he could turn into Steve McNair. - B

Akeem Ayers- A pick that has been growing on me. I like that he is a big play making LBer that we literally have never had on the roster. I think that at the least he will be a 5-7 year starter for us. I understand that he doesn't go 100% all the time, but I think our coaching staff can work that out of him.B+

Jerrell Casey- Definitely my favorite pick in the draft. He is a run-stopper with pocket pushing ability. Could possibly start this year if he shows enough in camp and we move Jason Jones to DE. At the very least this will mean no more ****** Jovan Haye in TN. A

Colin McCarthy- Let me start out by saying that I like him more than most Titans fans on here. He is a thumper and a leader with starter potential. I understand he isn't much use in coverage, but with his talent maybe some of that can be taught. I see him at the very least a guy that sticks with the team as a ST stud and good back-up/ spot starter at LBer. - B

Jamie Harper- I understand his talent, I don't understand the pick. Honestly don't see how we would use him or if we would ever see the field. Sucks that we dropped Blount to pick up this guy.. but that is on Jeff Fishers shoulders and I can fault Munchak for wanting a big back. D+/ C-

Karl Klug- Was one of my late round man-crushes before the draft. I think he can turn into a great rotation guy with his talent. Can play DE on rushing downs and DT on passing. really think he is going to be on the team for a while. B

Byron Stingily- Honestly don't know about him to give a draft grade. I do know that he is talented (6-5 313 runs in the 4.95). Mike Munchak said he is a raw guy that will be a swing tackle and could eventually develop into a guard. Will watch some Bilal Powell tape and give a grade later. IDK

Zach Clayton- Loved this pick. Never really got the credit he should have for allowing Fairley to play the way he did. Stout and a good run-stuffer. Ran in the 4.6's at almost 300 pounds. Will make the team IMO as a leader and a solid rotational guy of the future. B+

Tommie Campbell- 6-3 200 pound safety that supposedly runs a low 4.3. talented small school sleeper that scrubbed toilets before giving football another try. Munchak said he had a scout that was really, really high on him. I like giving talent a shot in the late rounds. B

Overall grade- B/B+

I think we atleast got 2 starters in Casey and Ayers. Jake Locker has potential and can turn this draft into an A if he develops properly. I expect Clayton, Klug, and McCarthy to make the team and eventually contribute. Campbell, Stingily and Harper have talent and may develop into useful players or could just be cut (Harper won't as a 4th rounder).

Seasonticketholder
05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
New Orleans Saints

1. Cameron Jordan, DE, California - Grade: A+
Jordan was one of the top-rated defensive ends available in this years draft class and to have him fall to number 24 was nothing short of miraculous. He will come in and immediately be a starter at LDE and help anchor a line that desperately needed to upgrade it's pass rush.

1. Mark Ingram, Running Back, Alabama - Grade: A
Ingram was widely considered the top running back out of this draft class and pairing him with Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, and Chris Ivory gives the Saints a formidable ground game that will help take the pressure off Brees. It will be worth giving up a future first if Ingram lives up to the hype he's already garnered.

3. Martez Wilson, Linebacker, Illinois - Grade: A
Again the Saints lucked out and had one of the top rated linebackers fall to them. Wilson is an immediate starter at strongside linebacker and gives the Saints defense some versatility, youth, and talent they have longed for for years.

3. Johnny Patrick, Cornerback, Louisville - Grade: B-
Each year it seems that a Saints CB is out at least two consecutive games due to injury. Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter, while above average starters, spend their fair share of time recuperating from dings, hits, bruises, and overall batterings. Patrick will come in and immediately lock down the dime position, offer special teams play, and be put into the nickel role when Greer and Porter are sidelined.

7. Greg Romeus, Defensive End, Pittsburgh - Grade: INC
This is receiving an incomplete grade because Romeus was injured for most of last year. If he can't recover from his maladies then all the Saints gave up was a 7th round pick. However, if he reverts to his junior season form then he vastly upgrades the Saints pass rush.

7. Nate Bussey, Linebacker, Illinois - Grade: C
A linebacker/safety type that offers vast special teams potential and will compete with Jonathan Casillas and Scott Shanle for the starting weakside linebacker spot. The team passed on Ian Williams and Cedric Thornton who could have helped provide depth along the DL

Overall draft grade: A

I basically agree with this analysis except I would give the Bussey selection a B-. I think the Saints took Bussey and Patrick with an eye on upgrading the special teams. Our units were terrible and both players excel in that area. They will contribute immediately to our coverage units. Our special teams have not been the same since Fred McAfee, Michael Lewis, and Steve Gleason left. Hopefully, with these guys, we can get back to that level. I would still like to see us pursue either Ricardo Lockette or Phil Livas once the lockout ends as I think they both offer return ability. Livas is an especially potent returner and the better of the two in this regard; however, Lockette offers more as a receiver. Brad Smith could be an option in free agency.

I agree with the need at DT. I was hoping for Kenrick Ellis at the end of the third though I think the off-the-field stuff hurt him.

I think Greg Romeus is a low-risk, high reward pick. I heard Peter Schrager say he was a potential top 10 prospect going into last season. Other analysts have been a little more practical in their view, calling him a first or second rounder. I tend to agree with the view that if healthy, he could have been a first rounder. So, the grade has to be incomplete for now though the value is clearly there. And if he does get healthy, he's a huge pick and a guy, as you stated, who will upgrade our pass rush.

My grade: A

falloutboy14
05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Colts draft:

1 - Anthony Castonzo - A-

Possibly the best pass-blocker of the OTs. Not a mauler in the run-game, but should be a fit in the Colts ZBS. Instant starter/upgrade at LT.

2 - Ben Ijalana - B+

A player that could have been picked very early in round 2 fell to the middle picks. Gives the Colts a utility player as they reform their line. Can play guard or tackle right away, depending on how FA goes.

3 - Drake Nevis - A

Possibly able to give an inside pass-rush that we've been looking for. Undersized and questionable vs the run, but you're not going to find a DT who has everything in the 3rd round.

4 - Delone Carter - B

Adds a thumper to the run game which we can really use. He should be a good fit for the stretch play which has fallen out of use since Edgerrin left.

6 - Chris Rucker - B

A big corner who's good at press coverage. More then likely he'll be on ST for a year or two.

Overall Grade - A-
My favorite Colts draft in quite some time. Matched need and value, especially in the first 2 days. I would have liked to see a safety and run stuffer picked on day 3, but all in all an excellent draft.

Twinblade
05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Round 1, Pick 24 (24) Cameron Jordan DE

I am still amazed this guy fell to us. A top 15 talent. I see him as a great addition to the Gregg Williams defensive scheme as he will have no problem setting the edge opposite Will Smith.

GRADE: A+

Round 1, Pick 28 (28) (From Patriots) Mark Ingram RB

Fellow "WHO-DAT" fans may think this was a bad pick and where I can't deny we paid well for it, I see this as an awesome pick. Ingram was by far the best RB in the draft and with the injury issues we had at RB last year, this pick will pay off huge in the years to come.

GRADE: A -

Round 3, Pick 8 (72) (From Redskins) Martez Wilson OLB

This was one of the guys we had hoped we could get in the 3rd round and it worked out. A versatile LB who will play SAM LB for us.

GRADE: A

Round 3, Pick 24 (88) Johnny Patrick DB

Another position we needed to add quality depth at. Patrick will surely contribute to Special Teams from the beginning and be a great sub.

GRADE: B+

Round 7, Pick 23 (226) Greg Romeus DE
If it were not for his back injury, Romeus was a first round talent. Taking a risk on him in the 7th will pay-off huge if he can get healthy. I expect to see the Saints running a great deal of schemes out of a "50" front if Romeus can stay healthy.

GRADE:A

OVERALL: A-

You will be in one hell of a wake up call when Jordan can't pass rush. Think Jamaal Anderson.

TheFinisher
05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Posted this in the team forum.

Dallas

Although this class isn't lights out in terms of immediate impact, it has the potential to be a great foundation for the Garrett era. Tyron will be an all-star LT for us, I'm 100% convinced of that. Being that he just turned 20 in December (let that marinate for a minute) we're basically getting a teenager that will spend his most important years of growth with an NFL team. It's exciting to think that as good as he is right now, he's probably 5 years away from reaching his potential.

I'm very excited about Bruce Carter, I think he can be a Patrick Willis type player for our defense. He was a legitimate top 20 pick before the injury and assuming the recovery goes as planned he will prove to be a steal for where we got him. I'm lowering year 1 expectations because of the injury, but I'm not ruling out the belief that by the middle of the season he's a regular contributor for us. We've been gutted in the passing game over the middle and it's a relief to finally get an athlete like him.

DeMarco Murray should be a year 1 impact. After we selected him it not only assured me that Barber will be gone, but it confirmed my belief that Choice is not in Garrett's plan going forward. We obviously want speed and big play ability out of the backfield, now we have 2 guys in Felix and Murray who give us that. I love the fact that he's so polished in the passing game, he'll be a nightmare for LB's to cover. Like it or not, RB was a need and we addressed it with exactly the type of player Garrett wants.

The more I think about the David Arkin pick the more I like it. He's got starter potential down the line and in the short term gives us much needed depth along the interior. He's a guy I overlooked throughout the process, but the more I hear about him the more I like. Big, athletic, and nasty... awesome.

Like Murray, I think Josh Thomas has the ability to make an immediate impact and challenge for the nickel job. Scandrick has taken a turn for the worse since his rookie season so it's a relief we're opening his job up to competition, it should only make everyone better. For being such a physical player, Thomas is surprisingly fluid and doesn't have many limitations in what you can ask him to do. My favorite thing I read about him was that he really expected to go on day 2, after he got selected by us in the 5th his HS coach texted him to congratulate him. Thomas' response.. "I'll prove everybody wrong". Gotta love that.

Mel Kiper was raving about the Dewayne Harris selection and PFW rated him as their "sleeper" WR in this draft. He seems to be the perfect slot receiver for our offense, not a burner but is quick in tight spaces, recognizes soft spots in a defense, and has big time run after catch ability which is something Garrett loves in his receivers. This guy will not only make the roster, but will challenge for PT early on as a #4, possibly #3 depending on the future of RW.

Last 2 picks are meh but what can you really expect that late in the draft. Maybe we found a gem in Chapas, he's certainly experienced and seems to be a jack of all trades type fullback.

Love the potential of this class, every pick has a chance to be a difference maker.

bigbuc
05-01-2011, 12:06 PM

C

Lavar Arrington was a very good SLB until his knee gave out. I love what you guys did with getting Miler. Him and Elvis going after the QB!

bigbuc
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
My Bucs

1. Adrian Clayborn DE, I was upset at first when the pick came in because Cam Jordon and Bowers were still there. But the more I hear of Clayborn the more I like. He can also lay the wood. Grade B+

2. Da'Quan Bowers DE, Love the pick, if his knee holds up. I like that both Bowers and Clayborn are big strong guys that can play the run. Very young front four. Grade A

3.Mason Foster MLB, How can you not like one of the leading tacklers in all of football? A Zach Thomas like player, won't wow with speed but knows where the football is going and will be there. Grade B+

4.Luke Stocker TE, Needed a TE to back up K2 and got one. Nice run blocker who can make some grabs. Good player. Need pick. B+

5.Ahmad Black S, If your a tape guy you love Black just like you would like Mason Foster. Ahmad Black is isn't big and is slow but some how is always around the football. One of the " Knows the game " type of players. Grade B

6.Allen Bradford RB, Didn't need a RB. Thinking that Bradford might become a FB. Has the size 5'11 245. Bowling ball runner with speed. Grade C

7.Anthony Gaitor CB, Don't know much about him, but our GM has hit on the last two 7th rounders so maybe he sees something. Grade Inc.

Love the draft. Think that the sky's the limit for the Bucs. This draft is all about the DE's if there players watch out! If the red flags show up could turn ugly!

Cicero
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
25. James Carpenter, OT, Alabama

I was having a blast watching the draft and then the Seahawks were OTC. I got nervous but I remembered how awesome last year's draft was so I wasn't too worried. We were working the phones so I thought for sure we were going to trade down. This team has a real lack of talent all across the board so that would have been a great move. The clock is winding down and I see pick is in. Goodell says the name "James Carpenter." Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, and Nick Saban look dumbfounded and I'm swearing at my TV.

What happened here? Carpenter was not the best OT on the board by far, he was not even close to BPA, and Pete Carroll said that we had a whopping FIVE offers for our pick. I really would have loved to trade down into the 2nd and get a 2012 first round pick so we would have the ammo to get a QB next year without selling off our entire draft. An absolutely terrible use of pick #25 no matter how you look at it.

Grade: F

75. John Moffitt, G/C, Wisconsin

This was about his range and he's a pretty good G so I can't really complain. Spencer likely isn't returning and he was our only interior lineman who had proven anything, so we desperately need help inside. Guard is probably one of the easier positions to find decent players later though.

99. K.J. Wright, OLB, Mississippi State

We have no depth at the Leo position. Without Chris Clemons we would have no pass rush, and Wright is adequate value here. I probably would have preferred Sam Acho at this spot but that's alright. As long as we have Clemons he won't be competing for a starting job but I guess you can never have too many pass rushers right?

107. Kris Durham, WR, Georgia

Kris Durham, a guy who has 64 career receptions goes at pick 107? This has to be a joke, especially with Edmond Gates and Tandon Doss still available. There were so many better players taken after our pick at positions of need... I can't wrap my ahead around this pick.

Grade: F

154. Richard Sherman, CB/FS, Stanford

I like Sherman as long as you're not matching him up against small shifty receivers and this was his draft range. We are really lacking at height in CB and Sherman performed pretty well in the Senior Bowl and in practices.

156. Mark LeGree, FS, Appalachian State

I haven't seen an Appalachian State game since Armanti Edwards led them to their victory over Michigan so I really don't know much about him. Earl Thomas is our only good safety in coverage though so I'm glad they tried to find another safety who can hopefully come in on obvious passing downs.

173. Byron Maxwell, CB, Clemson

He has decent speed and size, but that's really all I can say for him. Marcus Gilchrist was clearly the better CB and Maxwell never impressed watching Clemson play.

205. Lazarius Levingston, DT, LSU

We need d-line depth, especially some 290+ lb. guys. Too bad Levingston never did anything playing next to Drake Nevis. Has 0 pass rush ability and doesn't make plays in the backfield either.

242. Malcolm Smith, OLB, USC

We don't really need a LB, but it's the end of round 7 and I'll give Pete the benefit of the doubt on a USC player.

Overall: There's only two guys who are going to be starters from Day 1 (or anytime soon for that matter), with Carpenter only being a starter by virtue of where he got drafted. There wasn't a single pick where I felt like we got a steal, we completely ******* bombed pick 25, and a lot of our picks didn't make sense. Not taking a single RB in the draft was pretty stupid as well. There is so much more we could have done with our picks... This draft leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

Grade: D+

Hines
05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
1) Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State

A typical Steelers pick. He'll bring much needed depth and youth to our already solid defensive line. I think he's going to be a stud player in this league.

My grade: B

2) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

A player who can play both guard and tackle and fits what the Steelers do offensively. The light hasn't fully come on yet, but with him playing with his best friend Maurkice Pouncey, he might be able to find that potential. I think he starts out at RG, then moves to RT when Flozell retires, or just stays on the interior.

3) Curtis Brown CB Texas

While some people believe the Steelers should have drafted a cornerback earlier, but it is believed that Brown was the best cover guy on that Texas threesome. While he is still rather thin, he's fiesty and has silky smooth cover ability to be a solid starter for the Steelers. He'll start out in the nickle, but could soon be a starter. I love his ball skills and I think the comparison of Tramon Williams is spot on. Getting his this late is a huge value and could be a solid steal.

My grade: B+

4) Cortez Allen CB Citadel

Unlike some Steeler fans, I actually really like this pick. He has a lot of traits that Ike Taylor does, as he is big, physical, from a small college, and relatively new to the postion. He's going to need a lot of coaching and some time, but if he develops like Ike Taylor did, we found a very solid corner back with starting potential.

5) Chris Carter OLB Fresno State

Another typical Steeler selection. I'm surprised he fell this far and I am happy he did. He's the pass rusher that the Steelers use to own back in the day when they were one of a few who ran a 3-4 defense. I really like his potential and it would no surprise me if he surpassed Jason Worilds on the depth chart sometime when camp start and I am very high on Worilds as well.

My grade: A based on value

6) Keith Williams G Nebraska

A typical OG pick for the Steelers. He's a straight mauler who will try to rip your face off at the line of scrimage. He also has trouble pass blocking. He could be Chris Kemoeatu's replacement and he shares similar traits as Kemoeatu. At the very least, he'll provide good depth along the interior.

My grade: C

7) Baron Batch RB Texas Tech

He only has one role, and that's being a third down back. He pass protects well and has solid hands. He's a cheaper and younger Mewelde Moore. He's growing into a personal favorite of mine the more I research of him. He has very solid character.

Overall:

The Steelers filled their needs once again. This isn't a flashy draft at all, but it's one that could be one of the best in a few years. I would have liked to see a tight end and nose tackle taken, but I cannot argue with this draft.

Final grade:

B+

the_dark_knight
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow, look at all the homers thinking every pick is an A+ ffs.

Falcons:
Julio Jones - WR - #6 overall
Just what the doctor ordered
Grade: B-for Ballsy and with potential to be an A, but for the compensation we gave up I say B for now, but in my heart I say A+++++ cause I've been dreaming of this for friggin ever.

Akeem Dent
Okay player, drafted too high.

Quizz
I love this player, he's a perfect compliment to Turner and will be getting significant playtime from day 1. Not technically a "starter" but a "starting" 3rd down back

Matt Bosher
Really? A Kicker/Punter. I love our current punter, but I know he won't make it here forever, and Bosher was exceptionally productive at pinning teams inside the 20 with his punts, big fan of the player, hate drafting a punter though

Andrew Jackson
Love my late round Olinemen and this guy could be someone who sees some playtime earlier than many expect with the potential loss of Dahl, Clabo, and Blaylock. Really good fit for the Falcons O line and what we need.

Cliff Matthews
I loved watching S. Carolina play for 2 reasons, #1 their beast of a running back, #2 Cliff Matthews. I know he's light, and I know he's not going to be some superstar steal of the draft sort of player, but he's just such a good football player that he could make an impact as a rookie on special teams, and could develop into a solid rotational pass rusher.

Overall Grade:
I'm torn here, I LOVE the Julio pick, but I'm trying to be cautious in my optimism a bit. I don't like the Dent and Punter/Kicker picks, but I really feel like Jackson and Matthews will be solid additions. I LOVE the value on Rodgers in the 5th round for our change of pace guy. Every player fits Atlanta's core to a T and thus I give the draft a B. I am tempted to just say a C+ though.

Floor: C- / Ceiling A So overall...C+/B-

TheMorningZoo
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
1. Corey Liuget-DT, Illinois
Grade: C+

The value was there, but IMO we could have had other options that would have made more sense. I think most feel the same was as I do, Liuget is better suited for an even front. Regardless he is explosive and stout, but I would have preferred Cameron Jordan (big time), Heyward or Wilkerson over Liuget.

2. Marcus Gilchrist-DB, Clemson

I didn't know much about Gilchrist as a player, but the more I look into him I feel content knowing he is a solid blue collar player. Has return ability apparently and played FS at Clemson after spot duty initially his first few years. A little on the small side, but is a sound tackler and should be able to help shore up our garbage ST.

2. Jonas Mouton-LB, Michigan

Major reach when other prospects were on the board who possess major upside (Acho, Houston, Martez Wilson). Projects more as a special teamer, but has sound tackling skills and instincts. Little undersized (6'1.5, 240) and not overly athletic. Seemed like a straight reach for a player with a low ceiling. Not really a fan of this pick, prove me wrong Mouton...

3. Vincent Brown-WR, SDSU

Local product who projects to slot. Not the flashiest WR to come out, and flew under the radar most of the Draft process. However he does possess amazing hands and while his athleticism won't turn heads-he should bring production and become another reliable target for Rivers.

3. Shareece Wright-CB, USC

Talented prospect with limited experience due to academic issues and injuries over his career at USC. Stepped into starting role for every game in 2010 and showed how good he truly can be. Physical Corner who will hit and help in run support. Really could develop into something special!

6. Jordan Todman, RB, UCon

Productive player in college that has some "wiggle" and "shiftiness" that can help out in the Chargers stable of Runningbacks. Unlike Gartrell Johnson of a few Draft's ago, Todman should have a realistic shot at making the team and help out. Super productive at Connecticut with back to back 1000+ rushing seasons.

6. Stephen Schilling, OL, Michigan

Productive player who is relentless and plays till the whistle. Four year starter at Michigan that bounced around the line playing numerous positions. Not overly big, not overly strong, but more of a jack of all trades that profiles as a backup. Best fit would ideally be in the ZBS, and may have a hard time anchoring in a power scheme. Profiles as a backup, but I am not too sure he will make the team.

7. Andrew Gachkar, OLB, Mizzou

Had to dig for information on him as I have never heard of him. Undersized Linebacker that projects to Special Teams. Led Mizzou in tackles and voted team MVP. Unheralded prospect who plays hard and has a motor that always runs. Should be able to potentially help ST if he makes the squad.

niel89
05-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I thought Gabbert was a great pick for Jacksonville, considering the situation there. Maybe Wayne Weaver is thinking of moving the team to L.A. at some point. If the team muddles along for the next couple of years, which they may well do, it is a distinct possibility. Give Gabbert a couple of years to grow and he would own L.A. and Hollywood. Not that he is the glitzy type, but it would be Brady times ten.

I don't respect you, but god dammit I like you.

49erNation85
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Sf 49ers - C+
Well right now it is going to be a C+ until I see CK and Smith put up some numbers and be a good value once they develop more.I'm for sure thought we were going to bring in some Standford players the FB and NT from there but I was wrong oh well.None of the late round players I'm really excited about except Johnson from USC .He should be a good WR slot guy and bump right into the number 3 spot easily. I mean they all hit needs but no real value picks until the later rounds and RB is ok pick but not a favorite.All in time I guess.