PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Undrafted Free Agents

Scott Wright
04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Who Will Be This Year's Tony Romo, Arian Foster or LeGarrette Blount?

Draft Countdown's Top 50 Undrafted Free Agents
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Results/Undrafted.php

Duffman57
04-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Lol, how's Mario Harvey not on that list????? Makes no sense.

Grizzlegom
04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
My Top 50 and their original place on my BB:

67. Terrence Toliver, WR, Louisiana State
121. Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College
122. Ugo Chinasa, DE, Oklahoma State
133. Darvin Adams, WR, Auburn
134. Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
135. DeAndre McDaniel, SS, Clemson
137. Joe Lefeged, SS, Rutgers
138. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, Texas Christian
144. Jeron Johnson, SS, Boise State
146. Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
153. Charlie Gantt, TE, Michigan State
157. Tim Barnes, C, Missouri
158. Tom Keiser, OLB, Stanford
163. Steven Friday, OLB, Virginia Tech
165. Derek Hall, OT, Stanford
168. Zach Hurd, OG, Connecticut
169. Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
171. Taylor Potts, QB, Texas Tech
172. Pierre Allen, DE, Nebraska
177. Chas Henry, P, Florida
178. Jerrard Tarrant, FS, Georgia Tech
181. Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
185. Josh Bynes, ILB, Auburn
192. Henry Hynoski, FB, Pittsburgh
194. Courtney Smith, WR, South Alabama
195. Ray Dominguez, OG, Arkansas
198. Justin Boren, OG, Ohio State
199. Kristofer O'Dowd, C, USC
201. Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley St.
202. Cedric Thornton, DT, Southern Arkansas
204. Kai Forbath, K, UCLA
205. Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware
207. Tori Gurley, WR, South Carolina
208. Brian Lainhart, FS, Kent State
218. Ryan Bartholomew, C, Syracuse
219. Ollie Ogbu, DT, Penn State
220. Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern
224. Brandon Bair, DE, Oregon
226. Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State
227. Schuylar Oordt, TE, Northern Iowa
231. Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon
232. Derek Epperson, P, Baylor
233. Armon Binns, WR, Cincinnati
236. Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State
238. Scott Lutrus, OLB, Connecticut
240. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina
243. D.J. Young, OT, Michigan State
244. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia
245. Eugene Clifford, SS, Tennessee State
246. Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech

ElectricEye
04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Tom Keiser and Brandon Bair are two of my favorites there.

JoeJoeBrown
05-01-2011, 12:54 AM
I am absolutely flabbergasted that my man Dane Sanzenbacher wasn't drafted. Idiots.

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Surprised that Jeff Maehl isn't on your list Scott, though I guess you can only have so many WRs and at some point ranking WRs is just a matter of taste.

diabsoule
05-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Out of all the UDFA's I really like Mario Harvey, Ian Williams, and Jeron Johnson.

GoRavens
05-01-2011, 07:03 AM
anybody know when teams can start signing some of these guys
I want Mario Addison, Mark Herzlich and Deunta Williams to Baltimore

Scott Wright
05-01-2011, 08:43 AM
No free agent signings until there is a new CBA.

Unfortunately all of the UDFA's are in limbo.

umphrey
05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Maehl and Sanzebacher had some of the best agility numbers at the combine with great production

diabsoule
05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I just posted my top 10 UDFA's I want the Saints to target in the Saints thread.

Hines
05-01-2011, 10:53 AM
If Ricardo Lockette can improve his hands and route running, he's going to be very hard to stop IMO. I'd risk him for the Steelers.

falloutboy14
05-01-2011, 11:05 AM
There's going to be a lot of competition for those safeties. A lot of teams wanted safeties this off-season and weren't many worth drafting. Should be interesting if FA & the UDFAs all get unleashed on the first day.

FUNBUNCHER
05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Binns, Tolliver and Darvin Adams were all draft worthy WRs IMO. DT Cedric Thornton looks like a decent 5 tech. Noel Divine is simply a steal who IMO is nearly guaranteed to make whatever team signs him.

USC's O'Dowd and Syracuse's Bartholomew, two of the better Centers in this class need to give the Colts Jeff Saturday a call for a pep talk. Richmond DT Martin Parker has a great chance to make a roster, will do whatever he has to do to make a squad.

Kind of shocked Husker DE Pierre Allen wasn't drafted. Bulk him up and let him play 34 DE.

Was the 6'4 safety from WVU drafted???

Hate to be these guys, they could be waiting a few weeks to get that call from an NFL team.

diabsoule
05-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Binns, Tolliver and Darvin Adams were all draft worthy WRs IMO. DT Cedric Thornton looks like a decent 5 tech. Noel Divine is simply a steal who IMO is nearly guaranteed to make whatever team signs him.

USC's O'Dowd and Syracuse's Bartholomew, two of the better Centers in this class need to give the Colts Jeff Saturday a call for a pep talk. Richmond DT Martin Parker has a great chance to make a roster, will do whatever he has to do to make a squad.

Kind of shocked Husker DE Pierre Allen wasn't drafted. Bulk him up and let him play 34 DE.

Was the 6'4 safety from WVU drafted???

Hate to be these guys, they could be waiting a few weeks to get that call from an NFL team.

Yeah, Robert Sands was drafted by the Bengals in the 5th

wordofi
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
You think that somebody would've taken a chance on Mark Herzlich. The guy might be able to regain his prior athleticism. Look at what Lance Armstrong was able to do after beating cancer.

Hines
05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
You think that somebody would've taken a chance on Mark Herzlich. The guy might be able to regain his prior athleticism. Look at what Lance Armstrong was able to do after beating cancer.

While I see your point, I say football is a lot harder to prepare for and perform than riding a bike.

FUNBUNCHER
05-01-2011, 12:27 PM

All he needs is time IMO to get healthy. If his cancer is truly in remission, there's no reason to think his strength and speed don't come back. And instincts don't really ever go away.

I wonder if he's a guy that can automatically be stashed on IR for a year because of his cancer diagnosis ( because technically he's still in recovery)?? That would at least save an extra spot on the practice squad.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
While I see your point, I say football is a lot harder to prepare for and perform than riding a bike.

Ya man.....the Tour de France is just like riding a bike to the cornerstore. Winning the Tour de France is about a million times harder and more impressive than being an NFL LB

:/

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2011, 12:59 PM
No free agent signings until there is a new CBA.

Unfortunately all of the UDFA's are in limbo.

And this is likely going to turn into a serious problem for NFL teams if this lockout situation drags. A bunch of your top UDFAs may well decide that they simply need cash-flow, and that as low profile as the AFL, CFL, or UFL may be they simply could use jobs.

So it's entirely possible that, if this drags, a lot of your top UDFAs (and maybe even the occasional seventh round pick) will peddle their talents in a lesser league until there's clarity in the NFL labor situation.

batsandgats
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Jeff Maehl should on there, he is better than Dane and more agile, like a runningback after the catch. Scotty McKnight was drafted in the 7th, I have watched both play, McKnight for the past few years, McKnight is a much poorer version of Maehl and doesn't have the ability to make it in the NFL, at least a starte. My guess is that he will wind up on special teams and main contribution will be playing Welker's role in practice for prep against the Patriots. Maehl has the ability to start for some team in the slot and put up at least 500 to 700 yards a season. Like I said earlier, its like Tim Toone getting drafted but Blair White going undrafted.

Definitely better than Kealoha Pilares, what is McDaniels thinking getting 2 slot receivers when they already have one that just put up 80 catches last season. Now hes going to have 3 slot receivers , whats the point in that? how about actually getting someone to stretch the field vertically so the slot receivers have space to get yards after the catch, that was non existent last year for the Rams. Unless he plans on getting rid of the guy that led the league in all purpose yards last year. That strategy worked real well for him in Denver.

shylo3716
05-01-2011, 04:12 PM
No love for Ryan Hill?????

Iamcanadian
05-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I always look to medical or character issues for any Div 1 prospect not drafted, just because you have some name recognition doesn't make you much of a prospect. Other than that I prefer Div 11 or lower types with no name recognition.
I believe Romo was a Div 11 type, Foster was a medical type and Blount was a character type. This is where you find potential in UDFA's.

Iamcanadian
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Besides, with the lockout back on, is signing UDFA's allowed, I doubt it.

batsandgats
05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Blount wouldn't have went that high because of his 40, just look at John Clay, he wouldve been drafted had he ran a little faster, like in the 4.6 range. This is true for Foster as well. Hardesty had injury problems in college ran a good 40 and went in the 2nd, same school, just a year or two difference when he came out. Foster came out in a weak rb class (Wells and Moreno at the top), there were some talented prospects when Hardesty came out. Scouting just fails sometimes.

What would you consider Welker? Highly productive, no medical or character issues. Only 5 other players have had 3 consecutive 100 catch seasons

Danny Amendola who had 80 catches last season and led the NFL in all purpose yards

Blair White who didn't have any concerns as well, went undrafted, and had close to 400 receiving yards last year, which is pretty good for a first year guy that had limited playing time.

Jeff Saturday? played for North Carolina, no injuries or character concerns, multiple awards in college.

Kris Dielman 4x pro bowler, Indiana, which is a d1 fbs school, big 10.

Pat Williams, Texas A&M

So I think you are limiting yourself for finding potential by only looking at small school , d2 and character concerns. BTW I don't think Eastern Illinois is d2, its FCS

FUNBUNCHER
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
1AA is different from D2 ball.

D1A.....D1AA......D2.......D3.

Where are the LBs????

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
1AA is different from D2 ball.

D1A.....D1AA......D2.......D3.

Actually the 1-A and 1-AA distinction doesn't exist anymore. In 2006, we started calling them "Division 1-FBS" (Football Bowl Subdivision) and "Division 1-FCS" (Football Championship Subdivision).

In 2010, Eastern Washington University was the Division 1 NCAA Football Champion. Auburn just won some award from some organization outside the NCAA.

phlysac
05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
All he needs is time IMO to get healthy. If his cancer is truly in remission, there's no reason to think his strength and speed don't come back. And instincts don't really ever go away.

I wonder if he's a guy that can automatically be stashed on IR for a year because of his cancer diagnosis ( because technically he's still in recovery)?? That would at least save an extra spot on the practice squad.

I don't think it's the cancer that kept him from being drafted. I'm certain the giant steel bar permanently implanted in his thigh might have more to do with it.

katnip
05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Whatever happened to DeAndre Brown? I'm guessing injuries if he only played 6 games last year, being a 5* recruit at Southern Miss.

If it is because of injury, how serious is it (I think he broke his leg)? I know he has character concerns.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Whatever happened to DeAndre Brown? I'm guessing injuries if he only played 6 games last year, being a 5* recruit at Southern Miss.

If it is because of injury, how serious is it (I think he broke his leg)?

His leg injury was among the nastiest things I've ever seen on a football field. I honestly thought he was right up there with Julio Jones and AJ Green in the talent department before that horrific snap. It's amazing that he even played football again after that. His speed never really came back from that point and there's word that maturity and character were an issue with him in the first place. That's supported pretty heavily by the fact he came out when he had absolutely no business doing so and didn't bring his A game to workouts. He's much better on the field than his awful pro day numbers indicated.

katnip
05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Okay. Is it worse then McGahee's backwards knee? Sounds like it. And I'm guessing it doesn't help he's 6-6

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Okay. Is it worse then McGahee's backwards knee? Sounds like it. And I'm guessing it doesn't help he's 6-6

It was far worse. His leg basically snapped in half.

Splat
05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Sounds like the UFL is ready to grab some of these undrafted players.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f9d77e/article/prospects-such-as-burney-and-herzlich-must-make-decision?module=HP_cp2

FUNBUNCHER
05-02-2011, 03:29 AM
I don't think it's the cancer that kept him from being drafted. I'm certain the giant steel bar permanently implanted in his thigh might have more to do with it.

......Ouch.

Lil Quip
05-02-2011, 04:37 AM
I am at the point where I think there was collusion by NFL teams to let Herzlich go undrafted so he can pick his team. Myron Roller got drafted...

I think this discussion is more interesting in the fact that we can't see what teams were in rush to sign what players.

FTRWRTR
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
The sleeper of the UDFA's is Graig Cooper from the U. He can play both rb and wr and will make an impact for whoever signs him.

thebow305
05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Man, I really hope Miami signs up Noel Devine, Derrick Locke, Mark Herzlich, Ricardo Lockette, Kris O'Dowd, Terrence Tolliver and Zach Hurd!

the_dark_knight
05-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Falcons NEED Herzlich please please please!

FTRWRTR
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Falcons NEED Herzlich please please please!Unfortunately I don't see that happening. Raised in Pennsylvania, attended BC...can't see him choosing to move to Georgia.

diabsoule
05-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately I don't see that happening. Raised in Pennsylvania, attended BC...can't see him choosing to move to Georgia.

He would move to Oakland if he stood a chance to make an NFL roster

Splat
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately I don't see that happening. Raised in Pennsylvania, attended BC...can't see him choosing to move to Georgia.

You are joking right?

Matthew Jones
05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
People are getting a little too worked up about Herzlich. Yes, he overcame cancer, which is a massive accomplishment, but once he came back this year he was not nearly as good as he had been previously, and seemed to have lost a lot of his athleticism. That was magnified at the Senior Bowl and the combine. Even without any medical concerns, he played like an undrafted free agent this season. Teams need to make sure they're evaluating the player and not the person, and in this case I think that's what happened.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I think that's fair, to a certain extent. He still has something to offer to an NFL roster in my opinion though. Slow linebackers get drafted and succeed all the time. Herzlich has top notch instincts and zone discipline in coverage, so the book isn't completely closed on him. It's in no way a good sign that he's in such good shape and is still slow though :/

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
He can't be worse or less athletic than Scott Shanle, who is a 5 year starter.

Rabscuttle
05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
He would move to Oakland if he stood a chance to make an NFL roster

He must love football.

deepthoughtlife
05-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Is it just me, or were there far more good players to go undrafted this year than normally? Especially running backs?

Noel Devine is a great talent in a small body, but he is very strong for his size, and very fast. He wouldn't have been a reach in the third, and is an immense steal undrafted.

Graig Cooper, John Clay, Brandon Saine, and Derrick Locke are all good players, who would have an excellent shot to make a team, and even show up some of the earlier backs. The next tier after them is as good as the top undrafted RBs usually are. It wasn't a top heavy RB class, but a very deep one.

Among QBs, I'm surprised Devlin wasn't picked. He should have a shot.

Jeff Maehl is a good receiver. He isn't physically impressive, but he is skilled. He should have been drafted.

Herzlich could be valuable.

Buffalo M
05-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I am absolutely flabbergasted that my man Dane Sanzenbacher wasn't drafted. Idiots.
Agreed. He has 40-50 catch 3rd down/ slot guy written all over him. Always makes the big catch.

FUNBUNCHER
05-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the draft should be at least 3 more rounds.

OhioJB
05-15-2011, 07:12 AM
A couple of the talking heads on NFL Network and ESPN before and during the draft, made comments about how poor of a draft class this was. Didn't seem that way to me. There'll always be stronger and weaker years for an individual position, but overall it seemed like a decent crop of talent.

As far as this year's undrafted players, QB Pat Devlin's name sticks out to me. I brought this up in another thread and others disagreed, but he has good accuracy, and just enough size and arm strength to work with. Probably should have been a mid-late rounder drafted for the purpose of developing over a couple of years. He may have to develop while on a team's practice squad his first year, but there's nothing wrong with that. Unless there are character issues with him, the worse things about him are that he played in a spread offense and supposedly was late to his pro day. Personally, I could deal with that for a late round QB project. I'd like to see the Browns take a chance on him now as an undrafted rookie FA.

OhioJB
05-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Another player to keep on eye on is Ohio State's RB Brandon Saine. I didn't watch much college football last year, but when I did tune in to OSU's games towards the end of the season, I was impressed with how much better Saine looked to me than he did in previous years. He may not be the next superstar running back, but could make a team and at least backup his rookie year. He could have easily been drafted in the mid-late rounds.

underscore
05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Actually the 1-A and 1-AA distinction doesn't exist anymore. In 2006, we started calling them "Division 1-FBS" (Football Bowl Subdivision) and "Division 1-FCS" (Football Championship Subdivision).

In 2010, Eastern Washington University was the Division 1 NCAA Football Champion. Auburn just won some award from some organization outside the NCAA.

Most people (outside of the media) still refer to them as D-1A and D-1AA.

JHL6719
06-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Jeff Fuller reminds me more of Dwayne Bowe than Hakeem Nicks. I really Fuller's potential.

jbooshey
06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
If you want the next LeGarrette Blount, then why not look at a guy like John Clay?

cmarq83
06-30-2011, 09:05 PM
If you want the next LeGarrette Blount, then why not look at a guy like John Clay?

The problem with a guy like Clay vs. a guy like Blount is that Blount had first or second round talent but an ten cent head. Blount has elite agile guy for a guy who weighed 240+, but he can still ran around a 4.5-4.6 40 flat. Clay is more of a bruiser, but is sloooooooowww. His 4.8 40 time isn't doing him any favors. I think he could be a power short yardage guy in the NFL, but I don't see him having #1 back potential like Blount.

jbooshey
07-01-2011, 06:46 AM
The problem with a guy like Clay vs. a guy like Blount is that Blount had first or second round talent but an ten cent head. Blount has elite agile guy for a guy who weighed 240+, but he can still ran around a 4.5-4.6 40 flat. Clay is more of a bruiser, but is sloooooooowww. His 4.8 40 time isn't doing him any favors. I think he could be a power short yardage guy in the NFL, but I don't see him having #1 back potential like Blount.

Clay had 4.5 speed when he was 225lbs in high school. Then he got to college and his diet took the speed away and he gained 45lbs or so. He needs NFL conditioning and he should gain SOME speed back. Not sure what the team he goes to will want him playing at.

badgerbacker
07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Clay had 4.5 speed when he was 225lbs in high school. Then he got to college and his diet took the speed away and he gained 45lbs or so. He needs NFL conditioning and he should gain SOME speed back. Not sure what the team he goes to will want him playing at.

That's what I thought too, until he ran his 4.8 40 at the combine after checking in at 231 lbs. He's just too slow and unexplosive to do anything in the NFL.

bitonti
07-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Noel Divine is simply a steal who IMO is nearly guaranteed to make whatever team signs him.

its a bold statement but probably true. agreed.

Mr.Regular
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I completely forgot about an intriguing prospect I liked this year, until I was watching a rerun of a Wisconsin game on Big10Network the other day....

Culmer St. Jean. Thought he was really underrated in the process....yeah, he's undersized, but he's a great tackler, he's always in on the play, good motor, a good athlete, he can blitz, he hit the gaps well, and one of his big weaknesses cited (block shedding) was IMO overstated.
I hope he catches on somewhere....throw this guy on special teams, let him develop, and I think you may have a player on your hands.

Anyone else like him? Wonder who picks him up..