PDA

View Full Version : Giants Draft

BaLLiN
04-30-2011, 07:46 PM
This could go into team board, but since other people are posting their teams drafts requesting a grade and response i would like to know the consensus too as well as give people a more intricate view of why/how we made our picks.

1(19). Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

- A CB was clearly not a need at the moment with two very good corners in Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas, but with Thomas and Ross (often injured) having contract years this next season as well as Bruce Johnson not contributing in 6 games before injury after a pretty good rookie season.

-Prince, Jimmy Smith, and Patrick Peterson were probably all relatively close as pure cornerback prospects. Smith and Peterson both had better numbers, although Prince seemed to be the more instinctive player of the three. The one difference between Prince and the other two is that he can play any coverage and play it very well whereas both do not do as well in off coverage.

-With Prince falling to 19 the Giants had no real other options left after Tyron Smith being picked and even Solder (who im sure no giants fan liked bc we have already had 2 project OT's that have not panned out just yet). Prince had to be the pick.

MY GRADE: A

2(52). Marvin Austin DT North Carolina

- DT is definitely a need with Bernard being awful (FA pickup 2 years ago from Seattle), Canty not being a traditional NT, Cofield being a FA and unlikely to come back after reportedly requesting a trade, and Linval Joseph barely getting any playing time.

- Austin could be among or even above the top two prospects at DT as far as physical ability, but Austin has never put it together to live up to these great physical measures. He was not worth a top 15 pick, and if he had played i doubt he would've improved his stock. We can either MAKE a steal or have drafted a dud.

- Austin's abilities falling to that point and his potential make this pick interesting and because of our trust in our DL coaching it is easy for our GM and Coach to feel this is a steal.

MY GRADE: B (should be a 'grade pending')

3(83). Jerrel Jernigan WR Troy

- Value here no doubt, with Smith being a FA the FO might want to take proper precautions by drafting a replacement, but if not he is a sensational returner (we have not had one of these consistently for a long long long time) and another WR to prevent from having to sign guys off the street and not knowing the offense at all.

- Not a polished receiver, not a #1 by any means or a #2 option probably, but the slot position is rapidly increasing in impact in the NFL and he sure fits that position to a 'T'.

- Returner, Slot replacement potentially, and even a gadget player is another weapon that adds dimension to our offense, and keeps us from relying too much on one receiving threat as it seems we do with Nicks, Smith, and Mario way too often at times.

MY GRADE: B+

4(117). James Brewer OT Indiana

- 4th round is about good for him given his tag as a project player, thought it was a bit annoying that we continually pick these kind of players at OT instead of going out and getting a clearcut answer.

- Not a finished product but like a few others such as Gilbert, Solder, and even Franklin, has the tools to be a very good starter at left/right tackle.

- In a draft of a lot of good OT's but nothing spectacular such as a Jake Long or Joe Thomas it might make sense to stray away from taking a guy just based off of need and hoping he can do the job. Brewer seems more like a RT with his capability to be a very good run blocker, but also potential to be an LT with nimble feet being a former basketball player is a testament to his athleticism.

MY GRADE: B

6(185). Greg Jones LB Michigan State

- Value/Need combo, lucky that a linebacker with his ability fell this far when we didn't have a 5th, and with the lack of impressive interior linebackers it makes sense that we would not want to go for one early in this draft.

-Jones was considered to be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick with the season he had as a junior, but with size question marks (his weight and height) it was never really a complete evaluation. Jones although probably ranked as a mid round pick this year, is definitely going to outplay his draft position.

-Special teams, intermediate and middle of the field pass coverage, and especially pursuit have been areas of concern for us. Greg jones would make for an excellent special teams player, but I believe he could get playing time early because of his ability to play as a nickel linebacker (being a very good blitzer and fluid in coverage with long arms to make up for shortness) and one of his best attributes if not his best is his ability to close in a hurry which showed with his tackle numbers. I think this is the gem of our draft.

6(198). Tyler Sash S Iowa

- Safety really isn't a need in my opinion, but Kenny Phillips did have an injury that may bother him throughout his career without warning. Deon Grant (i think) and Michael Johnson are FA's and both had starting experience with us and did very good jobs for the most part, losing them and having a constant question mark in Phillips is not something you would like to leave without something to fall back on. Chad Jones would've been that support, but he had a possibly career ending car accident last year.

- Sash's biggest knock is athleticism, but his numbers, football instincts, and ball skills were among the best safeties in this draft. The sixth round was a slip too far for him, but the Giants definitely benefited.

-Sash will likely only be a special teams player and a backup, but he could see action because of Kenny's injury bothering him at any time, He needs to work on wrapping up, but with his instincts and ballskills getting a backup with the expense of a 6th round pick was great.

6(202). Jacquain Williams LB USF

-Who dat? Who dere? Williams was a captain and through limited film looks like he is a special teamer, i doubt he will ever be more than that for us, but with limited resources on him and only a few years of major college football (he was a JUCO transfer) there is still alot to learn about his potential.

MY GRADE: B-

7(221). Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland

- RB is something we should look at with Bradshaw being a FA and possible intentions of letting Jacobs go because of his inconsistency. This will certainly not stop us from looking in FA, but if Bradshaw and Jacobs both are back he probably won't make the team.

- Scott was a highly touted RB coming into college, injuries put a damper on his development and his lateral mobility (ankle injury). He definitely is worth a flier because of his speed and completely clean profile. He seems like a very likeable guy coming from a hard situation with his parents, high character. He isn't Chris Johnson, but he could become a good change of pace guy if these injuries dont continue to be a trend.

MY GRADE: B

OVERALL GRADE: A-

bornnraisedwhodat
04-30-2011, 08:14 PM
They had a great freakin draft.

BaLLiN
04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
bump, want some feedback

BaLLiN
05-01-2011, 08:06 AM
really? one response after all that...

GoRavens
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Tyler Sash isn't a QB..
Amukamara = B+
Austin = B
Jernigan = B-
Brewer = C+
Jones = B+
Sash = C+
Williams = C-
Scott = B+

Overall = B+

BaLLiN
05-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Tyler Sash isn't a QB..
Amukamara = B+
Austin = B
Jernigan = B-
Brewer = C+
Jones = B+
Sash = C+
Williams = C-
Scott = B+

Overall = B+

My bad, i said safety in my writing dunno why i put qb lol. Dont get how Prince and Jones are only a B+, or how sash is only a C+

TheFinisher
05-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I like what the Giants did, in our division you can't have enough corners and adding Prince gives them a pretty darn good set. He's got #1 potential but will be allowed to ease into transition due to the depth you already have at the position, pretty much an ideal situation for him. I'm big on the importance of confidence for corners, and handling Nickel duties as a rookie should allow Prince to develop plenty of it in year 1.

Marvin Austin pick is a gamble, especially when Paea was starring you in the face. If he ever lives up to his potential it will be viewed as a steal, the problem is I just don't see that happening.

Jernigan was a good value for where you got him. I'm not familiar with the status of Steve Smith but Jernigan is basically a younger, cheaper, more explosive version of Smith. Good pick.

Brewer's a project and might need up to 2 years of development before he sees the field, but he has a high ceiling and could be the start of the youth movement along your OL. At this point you can't really ask for much more.

Greg Jones was probably my favorite pick of yours, I agree that you may have found a gem.

Overall I thought they did a nice job of getting good value with their picks, but failing to address an aging OL until Round 4 could prove to be a big mistake.

Big_Pete
05-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Amukamara = A+
Austin = B+
Jernigan = B-
Brewer = C+
Jones = B+
Sash = B+
Williams = C+
Scott = B+

Overall = A-

I think it is a very good draft, but it is very much based on potential (particularly with Austin, Brewer, Williams and Scott). Very good for upgrading special teams.

NYG are in a position where they can roll the dice a little more.

GoRavens
05-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Dont get how Prince and Jones are only a B+, or how sash is only a C+

-Yeah, I take it back. Greg Jones is awesome, I'll give him an A-
- Prince needs a lot of work from a technique stand point and his game is based off of gambling. Awesome player though.
- Sash isn't athletic enough to play safety in the NFL. But he'll do work on special teams.

UFGIANT
05-01-2011, 11:40 AM
All praise to Marc Ross, Jerry Reese, and the NYG scouts.

1. Amukamara was a gift thanks to the run on QBS and the lions inexplicably going DT again. Hello DT are not as valuable as DE. Someone send them the message. I think CB is more valuable than DT as well at least to most teams. PA is the closest thing to Revis and we missed out on him when the flippin Jets jumped us that year. GRADE: A+++++(see me after class :)

2. Austin thread on here shows the divergence of opinions you would expect to see without him playing in 2010. He is a bit shorter than I prefer at just under 6-2 but he has massive strength and weight in his arms and legs are like clubs. Great leverage player and will be tough to block on our line. Love his first step but he will need to get in football shape if pursuit down the line will be part of his game. GRADE: A-

3. Jernigan could be a Deon Branch type for us. I know he ran in the 4.3's at his pro-day but I don't see the over the top ability of Jackson. He will be great out of the backfield on 3rd down or in the slot with his great hands. I see some Harvin in him without the first step. Cuts so casually he will add that short passing threat the GMEN have never had under Eli. GRADE: A

4. Brewer is a McKenzie clone. He just needs the Suge Knight beard. He looks like he has man boobs so will need to work it out and get stronger. But we got a prototype RT in the 4th. Good human being and hard worker type. GRADE: A-

6. Jones I am less high on him then most. Very productive but most of his tackles were from sneaking around guards and occurred way to far down field. He is not an exceptional athlete but in the 6th we got good value. I don't see him as a future Pierce. He is a little soft and the added weight this year was a bad look. GRADE: B

6. Sash is a great number 3 safety. Like the pick from a need and value perspective with Grant likely feeling greedy after a productive year. If he can get a couple picks this year he will be worth every penny. GRADE: B

6. Jacquian Williams (pronounce Wah-keen) is a really cool pick. He is faster and taller than Akeem Ayers and generally has better numbers than everyone except Von. You have to go by his pro-day because he was not invited to the combine. Played a little light around 222 but for our D he will be a WLB/S hybrid if he ever gets on the field. Special teams ace. Ran a 4.53 at 231 at his pro-day. Love the Florida athletes. He hits. GRADE: A-

7. Scott WTF! This guy is the prototype Giants running back. 5-11 210+ 4.34. He even had some production over 1100 yards 1 year. Pass protection is number 1 for all giants backs he can do this at that size. Bonus he can catch with his hands. Fumbling is an issue but that is correctable. He takes a little while to get going but that might have been a vision/technique/line issue because it can't be his get-up. He ran a 4.34! GRADE: A+

Cheers from a loooooong time lurker who was so happy with this draft he and to speak up!

Rosebud
05-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Prince - A
Tremendous Value filling a future need at one of the most important positions, like JPP last year this is a great pick towards ensuring we stay an elite team.

Austin - C
That's mostly because I don't think he'll hit his potential which would push this grade up. The effort level's poor and his play was to, getting really bad William Joseph vibes from this guy which sucks even worse since Paea whom I loved went with the very next pick.

Jernigan - B+
Love it, give us an impact return man with great hands and quickness who could learn a lot from Steve Smith and maybe even let us move Mario next season if he doesn't start learning how to make the right reads.

Brewer - B
In the 4th I like Brewer, he'll be a project, but between McKenzie and Diehl we've got vets who can man RT so long as Beatty can take over at LT, at least for a couple of years while Brewer learns from them.

Jones - B-
I wasn't really a fan since he gets washed out of the play so easily and isn't Thomas Howard fast to make up for it. But in the 6th he should be a special teams captain and a guy who could push Kehl for the backup WILL job.

Sash - ?
Haven't seen him play enough to comment but he should be able to help our specials as well.

Williams - C
Another undersized and speedy LB, at least we're picking mediocre late round LBs that fit the new scheme and have the wheels to make an impact on specials.

Scott - B+
I like this kid a lot, he's got good physical tools and is pretty well polished for a college RB, it's ridiculous to expect another Bradshaw situation with this 7th rounder, but if this kid can pull it off and become our 3rd RB a la Ward I would not be surprised.

FUNBUNCHER
05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I like Tyler Sash and Amukamara a lot, but if RB Da'rell Scott can overcome the injury bug, he's the steal of this group.

When he was 'on' at UMD, he looked like an All-American.

BaLLiN
05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
i really dont understand how people don't think Greg Jones in the 6th is a steal, especially for a scheme such as ours where we use more speedy LB's (i dont get how he only got a 4.8 he looks faster than that) and he is a pretty good blitzer and comfortable in coverage.

UFGIANT
05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Scheme is a perfect fit for G.Jones but he has to prove that he can be a cruncher like Goff and Dillard to a lesser extent. Both those guys are faster and both take on blocks directly. Jones racks up stats but he will need to show that he can hang with the guards and centers in the NFCE. I just don't see the toughness from what little I've seen of him.

SolidGold
05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Sash was one of my fav prospects in the draft, i think he was a real good value for you guys,

Rosebud
05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
i really dont understand how people don't think Greg Jones in the 6th is a steal, especially for a scheme such as ours where we use more speedy LB's (i dont get how he only got a 4.8 he looks faster than that) and he is a pretty good blitzer and comfortable in coverage.

I guess it's because I just don't see him ever actually seeing the field at LB, to me he's a pure special teams guy because of his lack of size, speed and ability to take on blockers. I like him for what he should do for our special teams, but I still like Goff, Kehl and Sintim a lot more as actually Linebackers, even if Goff and Sintim aren't the best fits for Fewell.

batsandgats
05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
How do you figure Sash isn't athletic enough to start at SS? hes more athletic than Roman Harper, who made the pro bowl, the only difference is that Sash has ball skills, where Harper tries to clap his hands together when the ball comes his way. He would excel in a Roman Harper type role, he as a top performer in all of the drills, looks athletic on the field. The Giants got a steal.

BaLLiN
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
-Yeah, I take it back. Greg Jones is awesome, I'll give him an A-
- Prince needs a lot of work from a technique stand point and his game is based off of gambling. Awesome player though.
- Sash isn't athletic enough to play safety in the NFL. But he'll do work on special teams.

idk i dont see that from watching him, he needs to adjust to the less hands on coverage of the NFL, but he most certainly doesn't gamble much. He usually shadows his receiver and is very aware if he has some help over the top by baiting the QB as he did against Texas last year.

I definitely think Prince will be a better pro than a college player mostly because of his skillset, how he has only really 3 years of cornerback experience, and not being 1 on 1 every play with the other team's best receiver.

In some ways at Nebraska i feel like he was compensating for other players (especially vs the run) and did not completely focus on his assignment in blackmon, frequently biting on playaction.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I think the Giants had a 1st class draft but lets not get too carried away.

Amukamara = B+ Was generally overrated, Deion Sanders didn't like his workout at the combine, played way too high, however, I love his upside and think he will work hard at his game.
Austin = B+ First round talent who wasn't as productive as you would like in college which dropped him to round 2 but he is very talented if the Giants can get it out of him.
Jernigan = B- Very talented kid, should get some playing time as a returner immediately.
Brewer = C+ Has some potential, the Giants love Big 10 players.
Jones = C Another Big 10 player who was more suited to the college game.
Sash = C Another Big 10 player with some potential
Williams = C Has a shot on special teams.
Scott = C+ I kind of like this pick for a 7th rounder, just have to see.

Overall, I would give them a B+ and I'm a tough marker, getting a B+ for a team drafting #19 is very good IMO.

Rosebud
05-04-2011, 01:11 AM
I think the Giants had a 1st class draft but lets not get too carried away.

Amukamara = B+ Was generally overrated, Deion Sanders didn't like his workout at the combine, played way too high, however, I love his upside and think he will work hard at his game.
Austin = B+ First round talent who wasn't as productive as you would like in college which dropped him to round 2 but he is very talented if the Giants can get it out of him.
Jernigan = B- Very talented kid, should get some playing time as a returner immediately.
Brewer = C+ Has some potential, the Giants love Big 10 players.
Jones = C Another Big 10 player who was more suited to the college game.
Sash = C Another Big 10 player with some potential
Williams = C Has a shot on special teams.
Scott = C+ I kind of like this pick for a 7th rounder, just have to see.

Overall, I would give them a B+ and I'm a tough marker, getting a B+ for a team drafting #19 is very good IMO.

Deon didn't like Prince because Prince tackles. I hate listening to deon, he's clearly got knowledge but he starts to pick certain guys as players who are "under his wing" and hypes them while guys who aren't in his camp he'll disrespect. It is what it is. Gripe about Prince's lack of crazy long arms, his lack of picks in college or the success Blackmon had against Nebraska, not Deon's assessment of his combine work out.

Look at the player and the situation, the kid is a carbon copy of the player Corey Webster has become, great cover guy, breaks up a lot of passes, will come up and tackle, doesn't make many picks and has some games where he just doesn't match up well against certain elite receivers. With Web, Thomas and Ross the giants will be able to bring him along slowly and build up his confidence. Add a stellar pass rush and this is great situation for this kid to hit his potential and become C-Web 2.0, in which case that's an A pick at 19.

I actually gave the giants a B+ as well, although I don't have nearly as much faith in Austin to keep his head removed from his anus, and the jones, sash and williams picks where all about special teams, the giants coverage units where amongst the worst in the league last year, in fact Giants special teams where absolutely awful at everything except kicker. That's why I like the Jernigan, Jones, Sash and Williams picks, from those guys we should have an impact return man and some good new special teamers.

fischbowl
05-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Getting a steal in Prince and selecting Jones and Sash later justifies this draft for me.