PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Players That You Were Surprised By?

JBCX
05-01-2011, 12:12 AM
- SS DeAndre McDaniel: Wasn't he one of the top-rated safeties on most draft boards? Not even drafted at all?

- LB Mark Herzlich: Sure, the cancer damaged his athleticism, but no one wanted to take a chance on him even in the 7th round?

- CB Kendrick Burney: He was considered one of the top 10 CB prospects on alot of draft boards.

- FB Henry Hynoski: He was considered the second best FB prospect behind Owen Maricic.

- RB Mario Fannin: I thought he could be one of the sleepers of this draft class. He has tremendous athleticism. A team didn't even take a chance on him in the 6th-7th rounds?

What other players were surprisingly left undrafted?

FloridaSkinzFan
05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
How did Noel Devine not get picked?????

Did I miss something? The dude is a specimen and had a great college career....

I thought Devine was a 2nd round prospect...

OhioJB
05-01-2011, 05:16 AM
QB Pat Devlin as a mid-late round developmental player.

WR Dane Sanzenbacher was worthy of at least a late round pick. Players recently have performed very well in the NFL that have similar physical ability and mental toughness.

AntoinCD
05-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Jeron Johnson surprised me a little. I think he could be a pretty decent starter in the right system. Surprised the Colts didnt at least think about him late on

San Diego Chicken
05-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Kris O'Dowd for sure.

Monomach
05-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Kris O'Dowd for sure.

This. I didn't think he'd fall past the fourth. Perhaps his medical tests didn't go so well.

princefielder28
05-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Mario Harvey tops the list for me

BaLLiN
05-01-2011, 08:07 AM
im pretty sure noel devine did not interview well because he has always been regarded as an douchebag

nepg
05-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Devine and Herzlich. Two of the most talented college players the last 4-5 years - both of whom have amazing potential at the next level.

scottyboy
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM

2nd round pick? no chance. he's tiny and an arrogant douche. not surprised by him going undrafted at all.

Herzlich, O'Dowd and Lefeged are the top 3 I'm surprised by. Clemson safety McDaniel as well

Matthew Jones
05-01-2011, 08:33 AM
This. I didn't think he'd fall past the fourth. Perhaps his medical tests didn't go so well.

The dude can't get leverage at all. I don't know if it was the injuries or what, but he couldn't bend at all at the Senior Bowl and was getting lit up by everyone he went against. I'm not surprised he wasn't drafted.

jrdrylie
05-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Dane Sanzenbacher for me. Sure he's not the biggest guy or the fastest guy but he runs good routes and has very good hands. Here's hoping the Bears give him a shot whenever they are allowed to.

descendency
05-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Devine was a twig. He weighed in at 179 at 5'7". His only possible value is KR. He's a UDFA obviously.

Pat Devlin showed up late and performed terrible at his pro-day. No coach would draft that. There is no way you draft a developmental prospect who doesn't love football.

O'Dowd, Jeron Johnson, McDaniels, and Herzlich shocked me. I definitely think this safety class sucked though.

batsandgats
05-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Mark Herzlich- in the later rounds you take players based on upside. There is nothing to suggest that he can't recover back to his pre cancer form. He got better as the year went on, I mean the guy SURVIVED CANCER. That takes a toll on your body. It takes more than a year to get back to 100 percent, but you don't magically lose your athletic ability.

Jeff Maehl - this guy was the leading receiver on the team that went to the national championship and had over 130 yards on Auburn. He doesn't have elite top end speed but his agility is amazing, almost like a runningback, his 3 cone drill and shuttle times show this as well. He could excel being a slot guy that gets yards after the catch. GREAT HANDS.

Sanzenbacher is also like this to a lesser extent, but still good enough to have been drafted. Yet scrubs like Whalen get drafted, the guy is nothing more than a 5th string receiver/special teams guy. I mean the guy couldn't get yac in college with Luck throwing to him, he is not better than Maehl or Sanzenbacher. It reminds me of last year when Tim Toone was drafted but Blair White went as an UDFA. White actually had close to 400 yards last year with the Colts.

Scotty McKnight was drafted in the 7th and is like a lesser version of Maehl and Sanzenbacher

JRTPlaya21
05-01-2011, 10:11 AM
You guys pretty much covered all of the main ones. I was hoping Darren Evans would sometime after round 5. I also thought someone like Oakland or Cincy would reach for Will Hill lol.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not surprised the tiniest bit by Devlin. People were rating him very highly based on very, very little. Internet hype and scant information can only carry you so far. There's nothing special about his skills or tools at all. I saw him play three games down the stretch this year and he just flat out was not the guy people said he was. He did pretty terribly at the East-West Shrine game practices on top of that too.

As for guys that do surprise me;

Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon
Highly productive player this year with a lot of 3-4 potential. He's a bit older than you would like, but that's usually something you forgive for a lengthy player in the 6th or 7th round. He did quite well in the Shrine practices too.

Darvin Adams, WR, Auburn
Measuring in much shorter than his listed height hurt him, but I'm shocked it hurt him this much. He was a pretty damn good player during his tenure at Auburn. He didn't embarrass himself in speed tests either. Not the most consistent hands in the world, but team have forgiven that for a guy that can get open against man coverage many times before.

Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
MVP of the Shrine Game, unblockable in the practices, pretty good physical tools. You usually see small school defensive tackles who can penetrate go at some point, and Parker can certainly do that.

Jeron Johnson, S, Boise State
He's not grossly undersized or unforgivable slow and had a real nice productive run at Boise State. Even if NFL teams feel he's limited to a special teams type role, lesser players were drafted at higher spots.

CJSchneider
05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame

Heck, he has event been mentioned here yet.

K Train
05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Devine was a twig. He weighed in at 179 at 5'7". His only possible value is KR. He's a UDFA obviously.

Pat Devlin showed up late and performed terrible at his pro-day. No coach would draft that. There is no way you draft a developmental prospect who doesn't love football.

O'Dowd, Jeron Johnson, McDaniels, and Herzlich shocked me. I definitely think this safety class sucked though.

i dont get jeron johnson, seems like a solid player and definitely draftable....but the other 3 were at one point in their lives mocked in the first round

deunta williams, mcdaniel, deandre brown, and devine all surprised me

Shane P. Hallam
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Small, majorly injury prone, won't block, won't return, character and intangible concerns.

T-RICH49
05-01-2011, 11:36 AM
still puzzeld Herzlich was'nt taken

TNPatsFan
05-01-2011, 06:28 PM
People still look at Herzlich with their hearts and see the player he was a couple years ago. Sure, he did overcome a tragic illness and that's wonderful. But he is a shell of his former football player self. When I watched him play this year he looked pretty much like a UDFA.

And just because he is cancer free now it doesn't mean he will stay cancer free, so that's still a huge risk. That, and the titanium rod in his leg, make him an undraftable player.

I would have been surprised if he had been drafted.

TNPatsFan
05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
My shocker is Deandre McDaniel. I thought he was one of the best, if not THE best, safety in college football the last two years.

ramsrule
05-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Damon Berry for me. I thought someone would take him in at least the 5th round. Kid runs hard, rarely fumbles, catches the ball well enough, and is a good special teams player.

TACKLE
05-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Jeff Maehl.

bored of education
05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Jeff Maehl.

This guy. Such great short area quickness, highly intelligent, great hands, very productive - his skillset translates so well.

Black Bolt

By specimen, do you mean a well formed dwarf?

Don Vito
I'm pissed Herzy didn't get drafted I really hope the Pats pick him up.

ellsy82
05-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Its Deunta Williams for me. Wow.

Black Bolt
05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not surprised the tiniest bit by Devlin. People were rating him very highly based on very, very little. Internet hype and scant information can only carry you so far. There's nothing special about his skills or tools at all. I saw him play three games down the stretch this year and he just flat out was not the guy people said he was. He did pretty terribly at the East-West Shrine game practices on top of that too.

As for guys that do surprise me;

Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon
Highly productive player this year with a lot of 3-4 potential. He's a bit older than you would like, but that's usually something you forgive for a lengthy player in the 6th or 7th round. He did quite well in the Shrine practices too.

Darvin Adams, WR, Auburn
Measuring in much shorter than his listed height hurt him, but I'm shocked it hurt him this much. He was a pretty damn good player during his tenure at Auburn. He didn't embarrass himself in speed tests either. Not the most consistent hands in the world, but team have forgiven that for a guy that can get open against man coverage many times before.

Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
MVP of the Shrine Game, unblockable in the practices, pretty good physical tools. You usually see small school defensive tackles who can penetrate go at some point, and Parker can certainly do that.

Jeron Johnson, S, Boise State
He's not grossly undersized or unforgivable slow and had a real nice productive run at Boise State. Even if NFL teams feel he's limited to a special teams type role, lesser players were drafted at higher spots.

Adams does not have sure hands and he's alligator armed some balls.

Black Bolt
05-01-2011, 07:24 PM
My boy, C Jake Kirkpatrick

Big OT Davis Mimms out of VA Union, a Jared Gaither Clone

S Deunta Jones (WTF?)

Monomach
05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Mark Herzlich- in the later rounds you take players based on upside. There is nothing to suggest that he can't recover back to his pre cancer form. He got better as the year went on, I mean the guy SURVIVED CANCER. That takes a toll on your body. It takes more than a year to get back to 100 percent, but you don't magically lose your athletic ability.

It has nothing to do with magic and everything to do with a metal rod surgically inserted into his leg.

RealityCheck
05-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Deunta Williams, Quan Sturdivant and Kendric Burney.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-leNf6VRGuww/TZOFwIlk-9I/AAAAAAAACK4/msVBuCf9zAo/s400/181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

For you, NFL.

thenewfeature06
05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
RC yeah dude, Williams was talked up to be maybe a first rounder at one time..Surprised with him and Burney.

Sturdivant got drafted by the Cards in the 6th, steal?

descendency
05-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I was hoping Darren Evans would sometime after round 5.

I personally guarantee 31 NFL teams will regret passing on him as many times as they did.

He was productive and has talent. I don't understand how that doesn't get you drafted. How does Ryan Williams go high second and the guy who was in front of him most of his college career goes undrafted? lol.

Complex
05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Deunta Williams, Quan Sturdivant and Kendric Burney.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-leNf6VRGuww/TZOFwIlk-9I/AAAAAAAACK4/msVBuCf9zAo/s400/181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

For you, NFL.

Crazy how loaded UNC D was this year if everyone played.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Adams does not have sure hands and he's alligator armed some balls.

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned fairly implicitly that he has issues with his hands. Nice job!

RealityCheck
05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
My fail, Quan did get drafted.

However Deunta and Burney going undrafted is indeed insane.

bantx
05-01-2011, 09:18 PM
AJ Smith will kill the UDFA as always

Splat
05-01-2011, 09:24 PM
AJ Smith will kill the UDFA as always

Good luck with that since non of them can be signed.

Black Bolt
05-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Did you actually read my post? I mentioned fairly implicitly that he has issues with his hands. Nice job!

And you were also surprised why he didn't get drafted even though you cited the reasons. Great job!!

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
And you were also surprised why he didn't get drafted even though you cited the reasons. Great job!!

Most of us have stated the reasons player didn't get drafted along with our being surprised in this thread, but nice job trying to come back from a complete failure of reading comprehension and trying to save little face for being lazy. I like that you took my snappy little thing I put at the end for belly laughs and put it at the end of your facepalming comeback attempt to try to be cute. Really, nice effort, but you're going undrafted in both the reading draft, saving face draft, and the comeback draft. I'm sure someone will give you a sympathy call in at least one of those fields though.

Monomach
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm NOT shocked that Deunta Williams went undrafted. They just took the screw out of his ankle. He's supposedly not going to be able to run for a month or more. He wouldn't have access to a team medical or training staff until the lockout is over.

It's a perfect recipe for a rookie season spent on IR.

edit: Once the lockout is struck down again and he's healthy enough to work out for teams, I'd expect him to sign the largest contract of all the UDFAs.

Victory X
05-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I have to say i was surprised at some guys like McDaniel, Herzlich, and O'Dowd went undrafted, but i was shocked that Jeff Maehl went undrafted. The dude is a baller, did no one watch the national championship game?

DcmRulz
05-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Herzlich and O'Dowd most of all. McDaniel was pretty surprising too, as well as Maehl.

Saints-Tigers
05-02-2011, 01:35 AM
More than a few scouts called O'Dowd "undraftable" when some were still saying he might sneak into the first.

I've never seen such a wide range of opinions on one guy.

Lil Quip
05-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Herzlich - God knows I was hoping the Pats picked him up in the seventh as he is a local kid. Maybe there was some sort of unspoken rule to not draft him and leave him to pick his team. This guy, even at a lower level, seems like a guy everyone would want in a locker room. I will be interested to see what happens when UDFA's can be signed.

Jeff Maehl - another guy i would have liked to see in a Pats uniform. Seems like he has a perfect skillset for a slot receiver and similar to Givens who we drafted in the seventh. I don't feel bad for him, as I am pretty sure he will make a roster as a backup slot guy.

Any DE/DT - Every team was scouring the wire for these guys, and the run on them went the whole draft. So why didn't some get drafted? Who knows. I imagine they will get plenty of calls when the time comes.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
More than a few scouts called O'Dowd "undraftable" when some were still saying he might sneak into the first.

I've never seen such a wide range of opinions on one guy.

I think that mostly has to do with the reputation he built up before he got hurt. He was on track to be an Alex Mack type prospect before all the injuries added up.

tjsunstein
05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Terrence Toliver, WR LSU
Darren Evans, RB VT

Grizzlegom
05-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Terrence Toliver, WR LSU

There it is. He was, by far, the most surprising for me. Honestly not surprised about McDaniel or O'Dowd. Herzlich was surprising for me, how did Cannon get taken but not Herzlich?? I'm actually shocked that Ricardo Lockette didn't get taken, not because he's a good football player (or deserved to be taken) or anything but because he's got the speeeeedzzz.