PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

niel89
05-01-2011, 02:07 AM
With the 2011 draft in the books, its time to look forward to 2012. He was the consensus #1 pick in this draft but decided to come back to finish his degree. He is only going to be a RS Junior but it is believed that he will finish his degree next spring and then go on to the NFL.

Has every major thing that you look for in a QB, but how much will he be picked apart like many returning top QB?

How will he adapt to losing his HC/OC, 3 new starters on the OL, and losing his top 2 WRs? Can he possibly keep up with the enormous expectations of him? Is he the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning?

Can't wait to see the 2012 season to find out the answers to these questions, and more.

metafour
05-01-2011, 02:13 AM
Come back to me in a year and I'll answer all those questions.

San Diego Chicken
05-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Well, if the spring game was any indication, he won't miss a beat. Luck went 16/22 for 165 yards and 3 TD passes, and they scored touchdowns on every possession that he was in the game. I really don't think he'll miss any of the exiting coaches or players. He still has Jonathan Martin who looks like a first round pick eventually. He's as critical as anyone to Luck's success.

stl9erfan
05-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Yeah, Luck should be fine. The OL returns some good starters, and his RB and TE corps are mostly intact. He'll need to work with some new WR, but the offense otherwise shouldn't be much different.

Honestly, if he stays healthy, the only thing that could keep him from being a Heisman front runner is Stanford's D. They lost some key players on that side of the ball in Fua, Keiser, and Sherman. And don't underestimate the impact of the departure of Vic Fangio. In the short term, that probably hurt more than losing Harbaugh (longterm, we'll have to see if David Shaw is able to work similar recruiting magic).

the natural
05-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Aaron Murray is better than Luck. I think he'll show that this year if he stays healthy. Not having that goon Fairley around to cheap shot him won't hurt.

SenorGato
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
^^^ I like Aaron Murray alot, but no. Just...no.

FuzzyGopher
05-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Aaron Murray is better than Luck. I think he'll show that this year if he stays healthy. Not having that goon Fairley around to cheap shot him won't hurt.

.██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
..▄▄▄▄▄████████

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Murray is a nice player...but he's 6'0. No way he ends up being a first round pick just based on that alone. Let's see how he does without the one of the most talented receivers in the nation as a security blanket as well.

I like Luck a lot, but detractors are going to be able to come up with an awfully compelling case against him by the end of the process purely based on the talent around him on the offensive line and arm strength.

Babylon
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
.██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
..▄▄▄▄▄████████

Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be another year of gems from the natural.

Iamcanadian
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
With the 2011 draft in the books, its time to look forward to 2012. He was the consensus #1 pick in this draft but decided to come back to finish his degree. He is only going to be a RS Junior but it is believed that he will finish his degree next spring and then go on to the NFL.

Has every major thing that you look for in a QB, but how much will he be picked apart like many returning top QB?

How will he adapt to losing his HC/OC, 3 new starters on the OL, and losing his top 2 WRs? Can he possibly keep up with the enormous expectations of him? Is he the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning?

Can't wait to see the 2012 season to find out the answers to these questions, and more.

I always view with suspicion, comments like 'he was a sure fire #1 overall pick if he had declared'. Leinart and Locker carried that tag but later we found out it just wasn't true just draftniks fantasies.
Maybe he's immature like Leinart because I see absolutely no reason for him to return considering the problems you mentioned with his team.
OR
He got a rating from the NFL Advisory Draft Board that wasn't near what draftniks are thinking, maybe just a middle of round 1 rating or worse.

We really won't know till next post season but I'm not ready to anoint him just yet.

FuzzyGopher
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Aaron Murray has big shoes to fill as the natural's overrated love prospect of the year but I'm sure he's up for it.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Blaine Gabbert still has the advantage of having prettier eyes and hair than Murray, something that obviously figures into the evaluation.

keylime_5
05-01-2011, 04:26 PM
aaron murray? he's too short and not good enough otherwise to make up for it like Drew Brees and Colt McCoy were.

Pat Sims 90
05-01-2011, 04:28 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Matt Barkley will be drafted before Andrew Luck because i think a team will covet Barkley's Arm over Lucks Accuracy.

metafour
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
aaron murray? he's too short and not good enough otherwise to make up for it like Drew Brees and Colt McCoy were.

Murray is way better than McCoy...are you serious?

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Murray is way better than McCoy...are you serious?

In college? Not in any god damn way. Fair to say he has better projection, but flat out better is asinine.

Murray's height is going to be a big time issue.

jrdrylie
05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I think if any QB passes Luck it will be Landry Jones, not Barkley. At this moment though I think Luck is the best of the bunch.

And stop with the Murray love. He is a short redshift sophomore. Vick is the last redshift sophomore at QB to be drafted and Murray doesn't have Vick's athleticism or arm strength. No way Murray declares this year. So let's not talk about him again for at least a year.

Pat Sims 90
05-01-2011, 04:38 PM
With Murray losing AJ Green he will struggle this year. I don't see him coming out.

bored of education
05-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I think Luck is a top 5 Qb prospect in the last 5 years. But not number 1, yet.

dannyz
05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I always view with suspicion, comments like 'he was a sure fire #1 overall pick if he had declared'. Leinart and Locker carried that tag but later we found out it just wasn't true just draftniks fantasies.
Maybe he's immature like Leinart because I see absolutely no reason for him to return considering the problems you mentioned with his team.
OR
He got a rating from the NFL Advisory Draft Board that wasn't near what draftniks are thinking, maybe just a middle of round 1 rating or worse.

We really won't know till next post season but I'm not ready to anoint him just yet.

He would have been the 1ST Overall Pick and he came back to get a Degree, I am pretty Sure he is a Great Character Guy unlike Leinart.

FUNBUNCHER
05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Are people serious!!!??

I don't like jocking prospects but the fact is IMO there's more 'right' with Luck than there is 'wrong'.

Barkley's arm is strong I guess, but not rare or elite. And anything Barkley does at USC is going to pale to what Luck does because of the difference in talent level between their respective schools.

Luck has been good longer than any other prospect at the position currently in college, that's why I can't see someone having a Cam Newton like season jumping ahead of Luck, if Andrew merely comes close to duplicating his stats from 2010.

Think about it, who would you want on your team; the guy who's been outstanding for 3 years in a pro style offense coached by a former NFL QB and current NFL HC, or an unknown prospect who had one great season??

The only way Luck doesn't go #1 is if an NFL team with an established QB has a horrible season because of injuries etc, and ends up with top pick.

If the worst team in the NFL needs a QB, the pick is going to be Luck.

How good is Landry Jones in 2011?? Maybe if Bradford has a near pro-bowl season and Jones gets compared to him, it's possible his profile elevates in the minds of scouts.

bored of education
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
honestly, i came around on luck this year (after thinking he was relatively bland for the first half of the season).

but he's going to suffer, being under the microscope from day one. if that suffering moves him from #1 overall to... #1 overall, or like leinart, to #10 overall, really depends on how the rest of the qbs play.

I agree 100% sir.

Complex
05-01-2011, 05:29 PM

I am so excited for the 2013 draft I heard Tyler Gabbert is a once in a generation QB.

CashmoneyDrew
05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I can't get over the 70.7 percent completion percentage on 8.95 YPA. That is insane to me.

DiG
05-02-2011, 11:57 AM
who do you guys see as the top teams in the Luck sweepstakes?

really good shot:
Redskins
Raiders
Bills
Seahawks

outside shot:
Dolphins
Browns
Cardinals
49ers

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2011, 11:58 AM

really good shot:
Redskins
Raiders
Bills
Seahawks

outside shot:
Dolphins
Browns
Cardinals
49ers

The Bengals offense is pretty atrocious, wouldn't be overly surprised...

Rosebud
05-02-2011, 12:02 PM
The Bengals offense is pretty atrocious, wouldn't be overly surprised...

You know, I kinda wouldn't be surprised if they ran the **** out of the ball and both Simpson and Caldwell continued their late season play while Gresham breaks out and AJ Green shows flashes. If the D is as good as it could be to go with that I think Dalton has a good chance to play them out of the Luck sweepstakes.

Big Bird
05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I love Aaron Murray, thought he was very underrated as a recruit and compared him to Drew Brees then. Guy flashed a strong arm then (70+ Yard throws) and showed a rare ability to scan a defense and go through progressions at a young level.

He has played solid, and even great at times at UGA so far, but honestly, his development has been a little slower then I thought it would be. Right now, I'd love to see he belongs in the late 1st, but I'd say more of an early 2nd-mid 2nd.

Andrew Luck is a flawless prospect. He is simply incredible. Luck has all the tools and does all the little things so well.

niel89
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Andrew Luck is a flawless prospect. He is simply incredible. Luck has all the tools and does all the little things so well.

I'm real hesitant to say that any prospect is flawless, but you're absolutely right. He has all the physical tools you look for and he seems to have all the little details down. The flaws that he does have are things that are coachable to fix. There just isn't a major question mark in his game right now.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Andy Dalton:Andrew Luck::Jimmy Clausen:Cam Newton

footballfan098
05-02-2011, 04:47 PM

really good shot:
Redskins
Raiders
Bills
Seahawks

outside shot:
Dolphins
Browns
Cardinals
49ers
The Niners pull a Ditka to get Luck. Book it.

But seriously. I'm not sure how Luck and Barkley don't go 1-2

RaiderNation
05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
This guy is going to be the next elite QB coming to the league. He will be regarded like how Brady and Manning are compared to the other QBs. He has everything you look for, and if he doesn't have any major injuries, I can't see him going outside the top 3 in this draft. He really reminds me of Peyton Manning on and off the field, and which ever team drafts him will be in Luck, literally. There are also a few other potential franchise type QBs in this draft, but none come close to what this guy is/will be.

People may think he might end up like Locker, but Locker really didnt have a real standout season as a Junior, instead we saw flashes of what most thought could be a franchise QB. Compare that to Luck, who in my eyes shows those flashes every time he is on the field

Caulibflower
05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I said it on the Seahawks team board, but I think after this bad of a draft we have to be among the early favorites for #1 overall next year. Seattle is just not a very talented team, and our QB situation is in a state of decay. Hasselbeck is done, and if they don't bring him back, opting for Charlie Whitehurst, I see nothing good happening. If Charlie Whitehurst started a whole season, I'd predict something like a 53% completion percentage, ~6 Yards per attempt, 2400 yards with a 12-17 TD-INT ratio. He's a timid thrower.

Babylon
05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I said it on the Seahawks team board, but I think after this bad of a draft we have to be among the early favorites for #1 overall next year. Seattle is just not a very talented team, and our QB situation is in a state of decay. Hasselbeck is done, and if they don't bring him back, opting for Charlie Whitehurst, I see nothing good happening. If Charlie Whitehurst started a whole season, I'd predict something like a 53% completion percentage, ~6 Yards per attempt, 2400 yards with a 12-17 TD-INT ratio. He's a timid thrower.

Could not agree more. The thing is though in that division you almost have to figure they'll stumble to a couple of wins.

I think you could see a Carson Palmer coming to Seattle and in that case they might be able to get to a .500 record but at some point, you're right, they have to get a young franchise QB in there.

Pat Sims 90
05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Andy Dalton:Andrew Luck::Jimmy Clausen:Cam Newton

The Bengals are not Carolina they will not have a new HC next year because Marvin signed a 2 year deal and Mike Brown won't get rid of him till his contract is up. Plus the Bengals won't give up on Dalton after the 1st year if he starts.

More then likely they will go after a RB next either a Trent Richardson or a LaMichael James.

Caulibflower
05-02-2011, 06:25 PM
The Bengals are not Carolina they will not have a new HC next year because Marvin signed a 2 year deal and Mike Brown won't get rid of him till his contract is up. Plus the Bengals won't give up on Dalton after the 1st year if he starts.

More then likely they will go after a RB next either a Trent Richardson or a LaMichael James.

LaMichael James is a second-rounder at best. Not that the Bengals wouldn't go for him next year, but I don't think he's comparable to Trent Richardson at all, beyond the position they play.

Saints-Tigers
05-02-2011, 06:34 PM
He's just LUCKy he didn't come out in the same draft as Blaine Gabbert, or he'd have.... been the 4th QB taken?

dannyz
05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I was think about it and the Redskins have the best shot to go #1. No QB,O-Line,D-Line, not that Great of a Draft and The Divisional Rivals are good and all had a Good Draft. They could finish top 5 but if they have an Injury or Two to one of the 22 Starters Offense/Defense then they are in trouble and could pick #1 Overall.

dannyz
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
He's just LUCKy he didn't come out in the same draft as Blaine Gabbert, or he'd have.... been the 4th QB taken?

Come on man everyone knows it's the other way Around.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Seattle won't be drafting #1 next year for one simple reason: The NFC West. I don't know how the Rams pulled it off last year but it aint happening again

Well if you look at his high school rankings thats about where he should go /thenatural

FUNBUNCHER
05-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I was think about it and the Redskins have the best shot to go #1. No QB,O-Line,D-Line, not that Great of a Draft and The Divisional Rivals are good and all had a Good Draft. They could finish top 5 but if they have an Injury or Two to one of the 22 Starters Offense/Defense then they are in trouble and could pick #1 Overall.

LOL!!

It's not that bad in D.C. McNabb is still under contract despite the friction between him and Mike/Kyle. No one special on that 30 front, but if they can keep blockers off London Fletcher letting Orakpo and Kerrigan create pressure, Laron Landry, Otogwe, Carlos Rogers (if he's re-signed) and an unnamed corner should show well.

Stable of RBs is upgraded, Cooley and Fred Davis are still very good TEs, Oline with LT Trent Williams has had another season to master Shanny's ZBS.
Hopefully rookie Hankerson and Niles Paul can contribute early.

Last year's team was far less talented than this one and SHanny still managed to squeeze out 6 wins. Giants/Eagles/Cowboys are tough to nearly impossible wins right now for the SKins, yet still I have a hard time seeing Washington play worse than 6-10.

I'd love to see it if it meant getting Luck, but that kind of good fortune hasn't happened in a while for this franchise.

SickwithIt1010
05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Luck would have gone number 1 this year and there is no doubt about that, the Panthers let it be known as soon as they found out they were going to have the pick.

Luck is the best QB prospect I have seen since Manning, the kid is a stud. He has no problems when it comes to size, hes perfect in that sense. Not many times you can see a kid that plays the position as smooth and as smart as he does. He doesnt throw the ball deep a ton, but when he does he doesnt usually miss. Hes great when he gets outside of the pocket. The kid can even run if he has too, might need to learn how to slide but thats not a problem yet.

Hes got NFL pedigree in his family so he has been taught from a young age, hes getting a Stanford education so the kid most certainly isnt lacking anything up in the head. He has worked in a pro style offense for the last two years under a coach who played QB in the NFL. He has the swagger that you look for in an elite QB, and unless this kid gets injured he will be the number 1 pick next year assuming the team picking 1st needs a QB.

Im a huge USC fan, and a big Barkley fan as well...but right now I havent seen anything out of Barkley that would make me think that he would ever go ahead of Luck.

dannyz
05-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I wonder what Luck will get on his Wonderlic Test? Andrew Luck was on College Football Live a few days ago and he said the Reasons he came back was to Graduate with the Teammates he came in with "2008 Class" and to Get his Degree while Trying to play for a Really big Game. The Announcers said he has like 12 Credits left and that it would be a Short time before he gets his Degree. With all of that I am 100000% Confident Andrew Luck will Declare for the 2012 NFL Draft.

draftguru151
05-02-2011, 09:09 PM
As long as Luck can improve his deep ball and not regress I don't really see what people will complain about. His offense is too good?

the natural
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Luck had a great year on a well coached team with a great running game and a very experienced front line. He was only sacked 12 times over two years. Some QBs get sacked 12 times in two games. There isn't any difference between he, Gabbert, and Newton. Different style, mainly, and it depends what the coaches prefer.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Luck had a great year on a well coached team with a great running game and a very experienced front line. He was only sacked 12 times over two years. Some QBs get sacked 12 times in two games. There isn't any difference between he, Gabbert, and Newton. Different style, mainly, and it depends what the coaches prefer.

There isn't any difference between them. But then they have different styles. Contradiction much?

niel89
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Luck had a great year on a well coached team with a great running game and a very experienced front line. He was only sacked 12 times over two years. Some QBs get sacked 12 times in two games.

I completely agree that he played on a tremendous offense that had a very consistently great running game and a fantastic OL. He did however execute extremely well and took full advantage of what he had around him. He played a part in helping to keep those running lanes more open, and he also did a great job at avoiding sacks when there was pressure. Their success goes hand in hand.

There isn't any difference between he, Gabbert, and Newton. Different style, mainly, and it depends what the coaches prefer.
They are all incredibly different as prospects. I don't even know what to say to this.

Edit: Are you saying that Gabbert and Newton are the same now?

Babylon
05-03-2011, 06:03 PM
There isn't any difference between them. But then they have different styles. Contradiction much?

I think the natural meant there wasnt any differance between the 3 out of highschool.

niel89
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I think the natural meant there wasnt any differance between the 3 out of highschool.

ARE YOU JOKING?!?! Gabbert was waaaaaay ahead of Luck in high school (the camps prove it!) and Harbaugh wanted Gabbert sooooo bad. Luck is just a recruiting consolation prize

Babylon
05-03-2011, 06:10 PM
ARE YOU JOKING?!?! Gabbert was waaaaaay ahead of Luck in high school (the camps prove it!) and Harbaugh wanted Gabbert sooooo bad. Luck is just a recruiting consolation prize

And Gabbert has that wow factor too, dont forget that.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 06:15 PM

You have more egg on your face about quarterbacks than just about anyone here due to your arm strength>everything else principal.

Gabbert being sacked that much was largely his own fault. The blocking was at least average at Mizzou his entire time there. If he had stayed in the pocket instead of running around like a chicken when his head was cut off, the natural might have an argument...but as it stands..no. One of the main things a quarterback has to have the ability to do is to be able to look at the rush coming on and still deliver a strike. Tom Brady does it. Andrew Luck does it....Blaine Gabbert calls his own plays and throws game losing picks trying to force it to TJ Moe.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:21 PM
You have more egg on your face about quarterbacks than just about anyone here due to your arm strength>everything else principal.

Gabbert being sacked that much was largely his own fault. The blocking was at least average at Mizzou his entire time there. If he had stayed in the pocket instead of running around like a chicken when his head was cut off, the natural might have an argument...but as it stands..no. One of the main things a quarterback has to have the ability to do is to be able to look at the rush coming on and still deliver a strike. Tom Brady does it. Andrew Luck does it....Blaine Gabbert calls his own plays and throws game losing picks trying to force it to TJ Moe.

Lol what? What QBs am I so wrong on? hahah

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Lol what? What QBs am I so wrong on? hahah

Pretty much anyone without a Matthew Stafford arm who goes on to be successful by the parameters defined and agreed upon by the majority of football fans.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Pretty much anyone without a Matthew Stafford arm who goes on to be successful by the parameters defined and agreed upon by the majority of football fans.

I don't understand what you are talking about. I hate every QB that doesn't have Stafford's arm?

I'm sorry that I caused a lot of asshurt when I said that Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford would never be more than above average at their best.

Raiderz4Life
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM

lol that's golden

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
And I was one of the ones that was pimping Luck as a RS freshman when the rest of the board was going ZOMG MATT BARKLEYZZZ

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Oh I'm not asshurt at all. I'm just calling you out on a trend. If you want to call that asshurt and make it way more personal than it has to be, by all means, have your little thing. I was just qualifying your opinion for anyone else reading it and making them aware of your major disagreements with what most people think is a good quarterback.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
No, you haven't shown us anything, you said that I only like QBs with big arms, and backed it up with nothing.

I liked Matt Stafford is your argument?

I love Luck, liked Clausen a fair bit, Liked Young and Leinart way more than Cutler. I was burned by big arm QB Russell too though.

Either way, I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 06:34 PM
You've used the argument of arm strength and nothing else as a criticism of multiple quarterbacks in the past and thus far the numbers on some of them aren't bearing out to be in your favor. I know for a fact I'm not the only one on the board who has noticed said trend either.

Basically; to suggest Luck would be the fourth quarterback selected in this draft is absolutely asinine. Unless it was poorly orchestrated sarcasm.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
hah, before you start slinging poo against the wall, realize what I'm talking about.

thenatural said that Luck only pulled out because he was scared of Gabbert's declaration for the draft, as if he had stolen Luck's guaranteed #1.

Luck has already shown me enough to be a lock for number 1 status, and even when the rest of this board gets tired of him this season, and starts promoting a new QB while they tear apart Luck, I'll still be touting him for the top spot.

I'm still waiting for an explanation, and not an ambiguous statement about how wrong I am. I'd like to hear what QBs I said were good/bad only based on arm strength.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 06:44 PM
First and foremost; Sam Bradford. Relative to what you've said about the guy when he was coming out, he's been Tom Brady. There's other examples as well. It's just a trend that a few people I talk with here have noticed multiple times and a difference of opinion. It's nothing personal, no need to turn into more than it was. I disagree entirely with the structure of what you've shown of your evaluational process as far as quarterbacks go.

As for the misinterpretation of sarcasm, sorry, that's a common internet problem especially without quotes and out of context. FOR EXAMPLE: said quote was mostly well intentioned banter based on prior disagreements and legitimate curiosity over perceived a perceived slight.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Yea, partially my fault :P

I don't think Bradford is Brady at all, but I stated multiple times that I thought his ceiling was Matt Hasselbeck level.

And I don't think it's about arm strength as it is about deeper routes. You can be like Rivers and have a weak noodle arm and be exceptional on deep routes.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
I still love you.

niel89
05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I think that italics should be the standard for sarcasm.

dannyz
05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I think Luck compares really well to Bradford. Same Size,Very Accurate,Mobility,good but not Great Arm,Came back to School and I think both will go Number One Overall. The big Difference is Bradford was in a Spread while Luck is in a Pro Style.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I think Luck compares really well to Bradford. Same Size,Very Accurate,Mobility,good but not Great Arm,Came back to School and I think both will go Number One Overall. The big Difference is Bradford was in a Spread while Luck is in a Pro Style.

Eh, Luck is heavier and thicker. Better runner. Plays in a pro set under center. Has been able to stay healthier.

Bradford has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen.

They have similarities but I don't think they're that similar.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Todd McShay basically said on the ESPN Draft podcast that he thinks the team that gets the #1 pick should draft Luck even if they drafted a QB this year. He said he'd just trade away his other QB without hesitation.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Todd McShay basically said on the ESPN Draft podcast that he thinks the team that gets the #1 pick should draft Luck even if they drafted a QB this year. He said he'd just trade away his other QB without hesitation.

I just wouldn't have drafted a QB this year if I had been in charge of a team.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I just wouldn't have drafted a QB this year if I had been in charge of a team.

That doesn't mean you'd get Luck next year. Only 1 of 32 teams will get him and delaying the acquisition of a franchise QB can lead to losing, irrelevance, fan dissatisfaction, and a loss of job. Fans aren't under pressure to win like GMs and coaches are. It's easier to pass up a talented QB when you're a fan.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I realize that. I just don't think any of the QBs in this draft are really good enough to start their rookie seasons. And to be honest I'd like my chances with a rookie Luck better than a Locker, Gabbert, Newton that have been playing for a year. I don't think those guys will even be on Luck's level when he's a rookie and they've been in the league a year.

ElectricEye
05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Andrew Luck is the youngest quarterbacks coach in the NFL. Dead serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/06/andrew-luck-will-teach-jim-harbaughs-offense-to-colin-kaepernick/

You've got to love this kid.

dannyz
05-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Andrew Luck is the youngest quarterbacks coach in the NFL. Dead serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/06/andrew-luck-will-teach-jim-harbaughs-offense-to-colin-kaepernick/

You've got to love this kid.

I do Love him, He is one of my Favorite Players. This is a Smart move for all of them now that Harbaugh can't anyone the Offense.

deepthoughtlife
05-08-2011, 02:36 AM
My brothers and I scouted Andrew Luck this offseason before it was clear he was going back to school, and I was honestly disappointed. You see, Stanford is my third or fourth favorite school in Football (higher academically), and when I watched him during the season, I was sure he was an amazing prospect, but further examination didn't (quite) bear it out.

His arm is very good, but not great. His accuracy is excellent, but rarely pinpoint. His mechanics are mostly good, but he doesn't point his plant foot right (he under-rotates it), which leads to an awkward at times delivery as he is forced to over-rotate the rest of his body, or flat out miss the throw; to his credit, the latter was very rare. At this point, I have to rate him well behind Sam Bradford as a prospect, though that isn't much of a knock, (I was a huge fan from the moment I saw Bradford play, and IMO the only legitimate concern about Bradford was the injury).

As a Niners fan, it pleases me greatly that Luck would teach Kaepernick, who I think was a great pick, Harbaugh's system. Kaepernick may have been the most talented QB in this draft. Despite this, I very much hope Kaepernick is given his year or two learning on the bench behind Alex Smith, who can be effective if Harbaugh lets him play to his strengths, which are coincidentally very similar to Colin's, though Colin is obviously a far better runner, with a far stronger arm.

Luck is a legitimate first overall prospect, but he might not even be the most talented QB to have started the last two years in the Pac 10 (now Pac 12, of course). I'd have to give that to Matt Barkley, though Barkley would need to prove something this season to even be in contention with Luck as a prospect.

Luck would have been the surefire top QB in this class. Unlike Locker, people don't like Luck because he could be good, but because he is good. That makes him falling out of the top unlikely; someone will have to take it from him.

FUNBUNCHER
05-08-2011, 03:00 AM
What's so great about Matt Barkley?? He was touted as the best prep prospect out the state of California since.....Elway.

Pure hype comparison. I don't see an all-world talent in Barkley, maybe a stronger arm than Sanchez, but really I don't get what it is that makes people even attempt to compare Barkley to Luck.

Maybe it's too early, maybe at the end of the 2011 season Barkley more clearly defines himself as a pro prospect, but right now the only thing I see that he has over someone like Dalton/Sanchez is arm strength, which still matters, but still.

TACKLE
05-08-2011, 03:22 AM
My brothers and I scouted Andrew Luck this offseason before it was clear he was going back to school, and I was honestly disappointed. You see, Stanford is my third or fourth favorite school in Football (higher academically), and when I watched him during the season, I was sure he was an amazing prospect, but further examination didn't (quite) bear it out.

His arm is very good, but not great. His accuracy is excellent, but rarely pinpoint. His mechanics are mostly good, but he doesn't point his plant foot right (he under-rotates it), which leads to an awkward at times delivery as he is forced to over-rotate the rest of his body, or flat out miss the throw; to his credit, the latter was very rare. At this point, I have to rate him well behind Sam Bradford as a prospect, though that isn't much of a knock, (I was a huge fan from the moment I saw Bradford play, and IMO the only legitimate concern about Bradford was the injury).

As a Niners fan, it pleases me greatly that Luck would teach Kaepernick, who I think was a great pick, Harbaugh's system. Kaepernick may have been the most talented QB in this draft. Despite this, I very much hope Kaepernick is given his year or two learning on the bench behind Alex Smith, who can be effective if Harbaugh lets him play to his strengths, which are coincidentally very similar to Colin's, though Colin is obviously a far better runner, with a far stronger arm.

Luck is a legitimate first overall prospect, but he might not even be the most talented QB to have started the last two years in the Pac 10 (now Pac 12, of course). I'd have to give that to Matt Barkley, though Barkley would need to prove something this season to even be in contention with Luck as a prospect.

Luck would have been the surefire top QB in this class. Unlike Locker, people don't like Luck because he could be good, but because he is good. That makes him falling out of the top unlikely; someone will have to take it from him.

I too am still having a hard time convincing myself that Luck is this all-world, once in a decade QB prospect. Maybe my expectations are a little too high but every time I've broke down a game of his play-by-play, I've come away a little underwhelmed. The velocity on his throws are alright but will certainly need to improve moving forward. I also have concerns about the fact that at times he can be overly conservative, almost tentative when it comes to driving the ball downfield or into tight windows. Maybe its just what the system dictates but I'd like to see him just let it loose and be more confident and decisive throwing the ball downfield. Again, there is a ton too like about him and I really believe that he's the top QB prospect and one of the top overall prospects as it stands now heading into the 2012 draft. I just don't see him as the "LeBron James of quarterback prospects" that some are making him out to be.....and I'm trying hard to see it, honest.

deepthoughtlife
05-08-2011, 04:13 AM
What's so great about Matt Barkley?? He was touted as the best prep prospect out the state of California since.....Elway.

Pure hype comparison. I don't see an all-world talent in Barkley, maybe a stronger arm than Sanchez, but really I don't get what it is that makes people even attempt to compare Barkley to Luck.

Maybe it's too early, maybe at the end of the 2011 season Barkley more clearly defines himself as a pro prospect, but right now the only thing I see that he has over someone like Dalton/Sanchez is arm strength, which still matters, but still.

Pure hype matters not a whit in my evaluation of Barkley. Luck is currently more hyped -did you notice?

Barkley is a smart, strong armed, highly accurate quarterback, who deals with pressure very well for the most part. He has had a great deal of success on a quickly declining USC team. He is clearly a very good quarterback, despite the fact that he was just a true sophmore last year, and he showed flashes of Brilliance. His supporting cast skill position players were good, but clearly not making him look better than he was. He still needs improvement to meet my projections of talent, but there is always some element of projection in saying how good a very young player was and is*.

One very large difference between Barkley and Dalton is that the latter actually made a lot more basic mistakes, despite a lot more experience (True Soph vs. RS Senior). Barkley also has a bigger arm of course, but is also more accurate physically.

Sanchez was a high pick, and as a USC fan, I was happy for him, but he never even approached the level of talent Barkley displays. If I had Sanchez and Barkley, I would start Barkley every time.**

*It takes no projection to say that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady are very good, and that JaMarcus Russel is not.

**Unless I found out I was completely wrong, of course.

the natural
05-20-2011, 02:15 AM
One thing that struck me was the fact that Luck attended the same Nike scout camps as most of the other top quarterback prospects of recent years, and they put together a video of the top 10 performers. He wasn't on it, while nearly all the other top young quarterbacks were. Stafford was #1, Aaron Murray, Matt Barkley, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Freeman, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford were on the list. It was funny because you could see Luck in the background of the videos of some of the other players.

niel89
05-20-2011, 02:36 AM
High school was a long time ago. Some high school camp numbers mean nothing compared to the last 2 years of game tape.

wordofi
05-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't like Andrew Luck's throwing motion? It just looks terrible. Other than that, I don't see any problems. Is he going to have to fix his throwing motion?

JHL6719
05-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't like Andrew Luck's throwing motion? It just looks terrible. Other than that, I don't see any problems. Is he going to have to fix his throwing motion?

He does seem to drop the football below his waist, but it's not a "looping" motion anything like you would normally see with a college quarterback who has that tendancy.

It's almost a straight down-straight up move. I don't see any wasted motion there. I think it could very well depend on who his QB coach and OC are as to whether or not he's asked to change it.

Harbaugh may stress a completely different set of fundamentals.

dannyz
05-20-2011, 09:48 PM
When is the Peyton Manning Passing Academy? Who gets to go to that? is there Coverage of it? I am Sure Andrew Luck will Light it up.

TACKLE
05-20-2011, 09:50 PM
When is the Peyton Manning Passing Academy? Who gets to go to that? is there Coverage of it? I am Sure Andrew Luck will Light it up.

I bet he won't. It's for seniors only.

dannyz
05-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I bet he won't. It's for seniors only.

I don't think so. He was there Last Year.

niel89
05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
why are we still talking about gabbert? just ignore the troll.

^This.

I'm not going to argue with the natural anymore about Gabbert. A Gabbert v Luck argument is joke. Gabbert couldn't even be the top QB in his own class.

Shane P. Hallam
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Let me pose this question:

If you had to put down $100 right now on the Over/Under at 1.5 of what pick Andrew Luck will be when he is drafted, what would you bet on?

niel89
05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll take the under. Luck looks like a #1 at this point and I don't see him hurting his stock to the point where he isn't the top QB. I say he only way he doesn't go #1 is if the team picking reallydoesn't need a QB and can't trade out.

I think he will be the top QB, but it depends on if the team needs a QB or maybe if there is a guy comes out and looks like a crazy dominant WR, DE or something.

SativaDominant
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
whichever one you think means being picked at 2 or later (is that over, because the numbers higher, or under, because he's getting drafted lower?).

Agreed. Firstly, and most obviously, there's the chance that a team who selected a quarterback in the first round this year gets the first overall pick (so Car, Tenn, Jax, and Minn).

Secondly, there's the fact that he's going to be under intense scrutiny by both the media and by scouts. Both will use the extra time to simply look for flaws. If he doesn't progress as expected (or, even worse, regresses) people will say he's simply the product of Harbaugh/the system/the talent/etc. He's an excellent prospect but not without flaws. His arm is strong enough, but he rarely makes challenging throws. Whether that's the function of a conservative offense or not being totally comfortable with attempting "stick" throws is largely an unknown at this point.

Does the extra time lead to a better scouting job? Recent history would say yes, as you have the case of Matt Leinart - who had accomplished every possible feat at the college level and whose stock could not get any higher - falling to 10th overall. And you have Jake Locker - whose #1 stock was largely based on projection - failing to maintain his momentum after his junior year. Luck is somewhere in between the two. Conversely, you have Sam Bradford, who barely played due to injury and suffered the same kid of nitpicking and scrutiny. Yet he still went first overall and played admirably as a rookie.

Thirdly, there's the chance that another prospect with better physical tools/arm talent has a breakout season. The scouts, the media, and the country all suffer from massive ADD, with the "shiny new toy" quickly replacing the forgotten old one. The question is who will that prospect be (if there is one). Some say Landry Jones. Some say Barkley. I'd need to see a ton of improvement from both of them, though. Jones has better arm talent, but he doesn't have near the command of that Okalahoma offense than Bradford did. They don't require him to read multiple areas of the field and protect him with a ton of easy screen passes. Barkley is a guy whose arm talent was vastly (and I mean vastly) overstated coming out of high school. I just don't see any zip or velocity on his throws, and he really wears down as the season goes on, leading to sloppy, lazy mechanics, poor throws, etc. Quite frankly, I don't think he was physically ready for the responsibility they put on him this past year or as a freshman coming out of high school.

All that being said, I'm going to be watching the development of those three very closely this year.

FUNBUNCHER
05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Firstly, and most obviously, there's the chance that a team who selected a quarterback in the first round this year gets the first overall pick (so Car, Tenn, Jax, and Minn).

I don't think the Titans or Carolina would even if Newton and Locker struggle as rookies, but if the Jags or Vikes end up with the 1/1 pick in 2012, having Ponder or Gabbert on their rosters won't be enough of a deterrent to bypass taking Luck IMO.

Luck just reminds me of a more mobile Peyton Manning, except he plays better in pressure situations.

If he's anything close to Peyton in the minds of NFL GMs, the Panthers, Titans, Jags and Vikes IMO would take him over any QB currently on their roster next season.

dannyz
05-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Firstly, and most obviously, there's the chance that a team who selected a quarterback in the first round this year gets the first overall pick (so Car, Tenn, Jax, and Minn).

I don't think the Titans or Carolina would even if Newton and Locker struggle as rookies, but if the Jags or Vikes end up with the 1/1 pick in 2012, having Ponder or Gabbert on their rosters won't be enough of a deterrent to bypass taking Luck IMO.

Luck just reminds me of a more mobile Peyton Manning, except he plays better in pressure situations.

If he's anything close to Peyton in the minds of NFL GMs, the Panthers, Titans, Jags and Vikes IMO would take him over any QB currently on their roster next season.

I think this also, A kid who's Dad was an NFL Player, Really Smart, Studies all the Time. I think if Andrew Luck lives up to his Potential in the NFL he could be the Next Peyton Manning. I think Andrew Lucks Potential is being the Next Peyton Manning. That's what I think.

dannyz
05-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I think I speak for all when I say lets get this Back to Discussing Andrew Luck.

Don't bring Gabbert up Again because this is not the Blaine Gabbert Thread, its the Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford Thread.

Caulibflower
05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Luck is the prototypical pro-style prospect. It really hardly even needs to be discussed beyond that. No player is a slam-dunk for NFL success, but we were to grade every part of a prospect's game per NFL requirements, I think Luck would probably grade above 90% in every category, compared to other prospects. What I'd be interested to see is if anyone thinks some part of his game would actually fall below that threshold. If anything gets brought up, it seems to be that "he doesn't have a super-duper strong arm." No, he probably can't throw it as far as JaMarcus Russell. But I bet he can throw it as far as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Shane P. Hallam
05-24-2011, 08:07 AM
after deleting half the thread...

i think this guy's got it right.

I've also suspended the natural, so all should be good!

I want more to people to answer my question above (and yes, under means pick #1, over means pick #2 and over)

no bare feet
05-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Is he a godsend of QB's? I dont think so, I still have other Qbs in the last 5 years ahead of him.

dannyz
05-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I've also suspended the natural, so all should be good!

I want more to people to answer my question above (and yes, under means pick #1, over means pick #2 and over)

I bet he goes #1. I think he is in the Same Situation as Bradford where people already know what they have and he could get Injured the whole Year and still be the Top Pick. The only way he does not go Number One is if he plays really bad like Jake Locker or Someone comes out of Nowhere and blows College football Up.

TACKLE
05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Let me pose this question:

If you had to put down $100 right now on the Over/Under at 1.5 of what pick Andrew Luck will be when he is drafted, what would you bet on?

Hmmmm. Obviously #1 is the initial inkling but I guess the thought is a team that drafted a QB in the first or early 2nd round this year may have the top spot. I don't see Carolina, Tennessee, Jacksonville or Minnesota picking #1. Cincy is certainly a possibility but if they are picking #1, chances are that Andy Dalton really struggled. I think Carolina may of now set the precedent in this situation. With all that being said, put that $100 on Luck going #1.

Halsey
05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I'd bet on Luck going #1. He just seems to have everything an NFL team wants in a QB.

Here's another question that I'm going to post on the podcast thread:

Assuming Luck has a good season, plays up to expectations, and declares for the 2012 Draft, who's the one player with the best chance to move ahead of him and be the #1 pick in the 2012 Draft.

Obviously anything could happen if Luck plays poorly this season, but I'm interested to know who people think could move ahead of Luck even if he plays well.

dannyz
05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd bet on Luck going #1. He just seems to have everything an NFL team wants in a QB.

Here's another question that I'm going to post on the podcast thread:

Assuming Luck has a good season, plays up to expectations, and declares for the 2012 Draft, who's the one player with the best chance to move ahead of him and be the #1 pick in the 2012 Draft.

Obviously anything could happen if Luck plays poorly this season, but I'm interested to know who people think could move ahead of Luck even if he plays well.

If Luck Plays Great no one will pass him, because they will have to have a Huge Year. If Luck has a Great Year and Declares for the 2012 NFL Draft he will go #1 Overall, if a team does not need a QB they will trade the Pick to someone who does need a QB.

bucfan12
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
It all depends on who's picking number 1. Honestly, some want to see how he performs without Harbaugh as the coach.

I think he's above and beyond the best QB prospect for next years draft, but if Carolina or Tennesee is pick 1, then I don't think they will be taking Luck after investing in QBs this past draft.

I think with Washington starting John Beck, they might be aiming towards being bad to get Luck.

SativaDominant
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
honestly, i think it's way too early to say. would anyone have called cam newton the #1 at this time last year? i don't see a single mock from this site with him in the first round, let alone at #1.

again, my bet on luck falling is due solely to increased scrutiny. guys who start the year as everyone's consensus #1 almost never end up staying there.

Also, if somebody had told you going into the 2005 CFB season that Vince Young (who was seen as nothing more than a project and was seriously being considered as a WR by some) would go ahead of Matt Leinart, you would have slapped him in the face for such stupidity.

Stranger things have happened.

niel89
12-08-2011, 04:17 PM
The regular season is over and its pretty clear that Luck in no way regressed from last year despite the changes on offense. He basically has answered every question from the end of last year and continues to be who we thought he was.

ESPN made this pretty cool page where Kiper & McShay go over every part of Lucks game in writing with little video sections also. They also rank him compared to Elway, Manning, & Matt Ryan on individual aspects also. I hope that they do this for more prospects also.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/feature/video/_/id/7303334/ultimate-scouting-report

jimmylishis
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
why is matt ryan in that discussion? great article though

Saints-Tigers
12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Because Matt Ryan was a can't miss prospect that immediately has a shot to be the 2nd or 3rd best QB in his division for the foreseeable future!

niel89
01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Now with the season over I just thought I would round up the past season worth of video of Luck. Huge props to HakeemtheMachine (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/member.php?u=15438) who does these cut ups on youtube. Missing the San Jose St, Wash St and Cal game.

It gives a fair read of his physical abilities but it can't show off all the stuff his brain allows him to do out there also, whether its being able to bring in 350 plays for a game, having the ability to check between 3 plays on any given down, or running a no huddle with him picking the formation and play call.

Its about a solid 90 min of his throws from the past year so have fun and enjoy :D

VS Duke
d26zjmAzDgQ

VS Arizona
fZlW9g7DCe4

VS UCLA
vPLNMwv3hHg

VS Colorado
W6h8NRDPKo8

VS Washington
VWOMTBp5M-Q

VS USC

lEOAnxyOrYo