PDA

View Full Version : 2012 The Year of the QB

Leon Sandcastle
05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Can Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindely all go in the 1st Round?

Do Barkley and Jones declare?

How good is Foles, Cousins and Lindely? 1st Rd talents, 2nd Rd talents?

the natural
05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
You left off the best one. Aaron Murray.

SenorGato
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
^^ Yeah...I' going Luck, Barkley, Murray.

Luck is the only real lock.

CashmoneyDrew
05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Tyler Wilson and Robert Griffin III are a couple more to keep an eye on.

Bobertchin
05-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Luck is the only one of those QBs that I like. I'm not (yet) sold on ANY of the others. As of right now, I don't see how next year's QB class is any better than this years, excepting Luck. And Luck could fall back. People thought Locker was going to be the next Elway or something a year ago, so you just never know what might happen.

Complex
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I like Barkley, Luck, Robert Griffin III, Nick Foles and Ryan Lindley.

DcmRulz
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Barkley, Luck, Murray, and I do like Landry.

Babylon
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Luck is the only one of those QBs that I like. I'm not (yet) sold on ANY of the others. As of right now, I don't see how next year's QB class is any better than this years, excepting Luck. And Luck could fall back. People thought Locker was going to be the next Elway or something a year ago, so you just never know what might happen.

I'm with you. After Luck, and i see him as a Matt Ryan, i'll take any of the top 3 guys from this year. Doesnt next years class always look better?

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 03:57 PM

This, this, and more this please. With an extra side of this, even. I have zero clue why Barkley specifically is viewed as a fantastic prospect at this point. He's had some alright years and made some pretty significantly strides, but he has not truly broken out of and proved to be anything more than a guy with some potential yet. He's not some prodigal talent who you can project to be successful without showing NFL traits at the college level either. Like Babylon already said, the grass is always greener on the other side. Half of those guys listed are going to end up being major non-prospects by the time the process runs it's course.

ericzedwards
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Robert Griffin is my second favorite QB eligible for next year's draft. Kid's a stud.

I love Aaron Murray and, living in Georgia, have had the pleasure of watching every snap he's taken in college. But there's no way he comes out next year. I think he'll be good, don't get me wrong. During his second game as a starter I remember telling the guy I was watching the game with, "Damn, he looks like Drew Brees doesn't he?" But 6'0" QBs do not leave school after their redshirt-sophomore season. I don't know why he's being mentioned as a prospect for next years draft at all.

jrdrylie
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Luck is great. No question about it. Most assume that Matt Barkley is the number two guy in this draft. But I think if anyone is going to give Luck a run for the top spot, its going to be Landry Jones. At the end of the day, I think all three are top ten picks. The guy who could fly up the draft boards is Tyler Wilson of Arkansas. I think he is a better prospect than Mallett without all the character questions. Then there is Nick Foles. He's a better prospect than guys like Ponder, Dalton, or Kaepernick but will likely fall to the end of the first round.

There is a lot of love on this forum for Griffin from Baylor but I don't see him as a first rounder. Both he and Pryor need to have stupendous seasons to even sniff the first round. As for Murray, I don't see him as a great NFL prospect. He's small and doesn't have a cannon for an arm. He gets Drew Brees comparisons but I'm leaning more to Colt McCoy as a comparison.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
After moving past the fact that a lot of those kids have a ton to prove before we anoint them;

I love Robert Griffin as an athlete and a quarterback. One of the more interesting kids to come out in awhile. Great all around physical tools, world class athleticism, and a really good, bright kid on top of it. He has some serious kinks to work out, but he's a generally accurate player within the context of his offensive scheme and doesn't project to have a whole ton of issues transitioning out of it.

Kirk Cousins is a guy I really like and am interested in seeing come along too. Very good arm strength and pretty mobile to top it off. Like his footwork and release too. I haven't always seen him deliver a completely accurate ball or make the best decisions in the world, but those things can come along and he's already made strides in those areas. Consistency is my main issue with him right now. He's also had the luxury of playing with a very good running game his entire tenure at Michigan State. When that running game wasn't there against Alabama, he broke down and was completely ineffective. That's not something you like to see, obviously.

DeathbyStat
05-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Most of the teams that drafted a QB this year will be drafting one next year.

Iamcanadian
05-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Most of the teams that drafted a QB this year will be drafting one next year.

I seriously doubt that any team drafting a QB in rounds 1 or 2 will take one next year except maybe late in the draft. GM's do like to keep their jobs and explaining to your boss why you made a mistake usually doesn't happen for 3 or 4 years.

keylime_5
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
you forgot Robert Griffin and Terrelle Pryor (albeit an uber headcase). No love for the black QBs? Both far better than Kirk Cousins.

bored of education
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I love me some Nick Foles

Malaka
05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
The title makes me laugh, because people said the same thing about 2011 with Luck coming out. Technically, unless we see 5 QBs go in the top 15 in 2012 then without a doubt 2011 is the year of the QB.

My favorites for next year are

Luck (though I don't see him as some immortal Greek God as others do)

Matt Barkley (Reminds me a bit of Stafford: similar size, pro-style, big arm)

Nick Foles (Prototypical build, has a good arm, just needs to get better in the clutch could be a Ricky Stanzi and drop to the 5th round, or he can improve and find a home in the late first/early 2nd.)

Robert Griffin III (The wild card of the group, could be a late round pick or a lesser Michael Vick. If he returns to form, and the injuries aren't re-aggravated I can definitely see him in the first round with his supposed sub 4.4.)

CashmoneyDrew
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
A sleeper fast riser could be Dayne Crist if he stays healthy.

princefielder28
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
mid rounder w/ game :: Chandler Harnish of Northern Illinois

jrdrylie
05-01-2011, 06:35 PM
One guy who could end up being in the first round or end up being undrafted is John Brantley. He has very good tools but was way out of place in Urban's spread option. If he blossoms in Muschamp's more pro style offense he could have a huge rise. He looked terrible in Florida's offense, so I don't have a ton of faith that he can do it but stranger things have happened.

mellojello
05-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Most of the teams that drafted a QB this year will be drafting one next year.Haha...this is funny.

bored of education
05-01-2011, 07:56 PM
One guy who could end up being in the first round or end up being undrafted is John Brantley. He has very good tools but was way out of place in Urban's spread option. If he blossoms in Muschamp's more pro style offense he could have a huge rise. He looked terrible in Florida's offense, so I don't have a ton of faith that he can do it but stranger things have happened.
Charlie Weiss' offense?

BuddyCHRIST
05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Don't like it any more than this year's right now, obviously with Luck at the top you have one elite guy. I think Barkley can be a top 5 guy too, but outside of that I don't see any lock first rounders. Landry Jones could be a borderline guy depending on his season.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Crist is a guy who I think is a lot stronger a prospect than people realize. He has major injury concerns though, as you mentioned.

Foles is a complete non-prospect to me. He's the dictionary definition of a system quarterback both in terms of tools and reads. Average to below average arm, no mobility, bad mechanics/release, and he really isn't even as accurate as people say he is. His ball placement is really poor at times. I really think people are getting caught up in the box scores and his height. His backup, Matt Scott, actually significantly outplayed him when he was in this year. Another real important thing to remember; Willie Tuitama put up similar numbers(better) in that offense a few years back and had greater tools on top of it and didn't get a single call from the NFL. He had some character issues mixed in there too, but the production was the same and the knocks follow suit.

Cicero
05-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Can Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindely all go in the 1st Round?

Do Barkley and Jones declare?

How good is Foles, Cousins and Lindely? 1st Rd talents, 2nd Rd talents?

After what happened this year I am never labeling any year as the "year of the QB" until after the season is over.

Nikolas
05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Keep in mind that the entire reason 2011 saw so many QBs go so high is strictly a function of the labor dispute. Had teams been able to do Free Agency before the draft, many teams in need of a QB would have filled that spot already.

CrackerJack465
05-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Dont be surprised if Terrelle Pryor goes round 1. Does he deserve it based on his play? Probably not, but hes got a strong arm, great size and he is absolutely going to destroy at the combine. Legit high 4.2's speed. He is going to make scouts absolutely drool at his athletic ability.

And he still finished last year completing over 60% of his passes, 27 td's and only 11 picks.

If Colin K can go early round 2, I believe Pryor will sneak into the bottom of the first.

DcmRulz
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Dont be surprised if Terrelle Pryor goes round 1. Does he deserve it based on his play? Probably not, but hes got a strong arm, great size and he is absolutely going to destroy at the combine. Legit high 4.2's speed. He is going to make scouts absolutely drool at his athletic ability.

And he still finished last year completing over 60% of his passes, 27 td's and only 11 picks.

If Colin K can go early round 2, I believe Pryor will sneak into the bottom of the first.

I don't know, I was never wowed by him the first three years. And this year, he only has basically half a season to not only prove that he isn't rusty, but that he's even better than last year.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
We always use the baromter but if Matt Jones can go round one as a WR so could Pryor if he decided to. He'd have to do it at the Senior bowl though just like Jones.

JFINK11
05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Persa from Northwestern plays in a funky offense but has some athleticism and a pretty accurate arm at first glance... probably 5th round type guy though

molenguinurtle
05-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Soon to be Michigan State alum here.

There's no way in hell Cousins is a first round pick. Unless he has some monster jump in ability next year, I just don't see it. What you saw from him against Alabama is who he is. He's just not a special quarterback. Yes, he's smart and has adequate tools. He also has inconsistent decision-making and a knack for playing terribly in big games (see: both of his bowl games, Iowa last year). He's pretty much the definition of a solid-good college QB. I will say this though: we'll find out plenty about who he is this season. Our schedule this year is no joke.

keylime_5
05-02-2011, 05:08 PM

if newton can go #1 overall then pryor can go in round one certainly. remains to be seen how character concerns will effect pryor's draft stock though, but it's not like newton didn't have any.

thebow305
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Robert Griffin III <3

BIG BIG fan of this guy.

I think Barkley and Luck are locks for the first because they are the most consistent. Foles, Jones, Lindley, Pryor and Cousins all have first round talent but are FAR from a lock to be taken there next year. Most of these guys have major accuracy and consistency issues and will have to improve BIG time this year to be considered.

I'd be willing to bet big money that Murray doesn't come out. And he'll probably be the top dog in 2013.

phlysac
05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't believe noone has mentioned Brandon Weeden. I understand he's an old man but he was one of my top ranked QBs this past season.

thebow305
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I can't believe noone has mentioned Brandon Weeden. I understand he's an old man but he was one of my top ranked QBs this past season.

Haha, you're right, I tend to forget about that old fart. :)

But he definitely will be on my Top 10 list of QB's for next season when I put out my early rankings in the next couple weeks.

49erNation85
05-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't for get the love for Boise State Kellen Moore either.Could be a solid back up or late round stater , ya never no.

metafour
05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Legit high 4.2's speed.

http://thehumanscorch.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Kellen Moore has no potential as anything more than a clipboard lord. Might be awfully good at that but there's very little chance for him to be drafted.

thebow305
05-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Pryor does not have 4.2 speed. That's just silly.

jrdrylie
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Brandon Weeden is a slightly better version of Chris Weinke. If he was 23, I think he'd be a first round prospect. But he'll turn 29 during his rookie season. Because of that, anything higher than round 3 would be absolutely shocking.

niel89
05-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Kellen Moore has no potential as anything more than a clipboard lord. Might be awfully good at that but there's very little chance for him to be drafted.

You say that now, but come next year people will claim he is a 2nd rounder. Just look at Andy Dalton, he was a mid rounder who just kept building steam until the top of the 2nd. People want to be hopeful on QBs.

''Short QBs can make it! Brees!'' "you can't ignore that production!"

CrackerJack465
05-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Pryor does not have 4.2 speed. That's just silly.

It's not as silly as you think.

He may not run it at the combine, he will prob run in the 4.32-4.36 range but heres something to think about.

I was at the Ohio State pro day. Chimdi Chekwa and Brandon Saine (Holds various track records in the state of ohio) ran in the low 4.3 range. Chimdi ran a 4.28.

Both players and various coaches have admitted Pryor is clearly the fastest player on the team. They expect him to run around the same as Chimdi did this past pro day.

It would not surprise me in anyway at all if Pryor ran a 4.32-4.34ish at the combine and around a 4.28-4.30 at the pro day. There is video circulating of him running a 4.32

Even if I am wrong (which I don't think I am...) and he shows up to the combine and runs a 4.34 at 6'6 220 pounds, someone will take him in the first round. I would put money on it.

And remember, I said HIGH 4.2's. I think he can sneak right under 4.3, not that he is going to go run a 4.20 flat.

wicket
05-03-2011, 01:38 AM

Im not even sure if he has a job next season and he has a year left if he does, would really doubt he comes out.

niel89
05-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Even if I am wrong (which I don't think I am...) and he shows up to the combine and runs a 4.34 at 6'6 220 pounds, someone will take him in the first round. I would put money on it.

As a quarterback? Running a 4.34 in a straight line isn't doesn't help him really. It looks nice but I'd much rather him be a sudden athlete instead.

metafour
05-03-2011, 07:55 AM

He may not run it at the combine, he will prob run in the 4.32-4.36 range but heres something to think about.

I was at the Ohio State pro day. Chimdi Chekwa and Brandon Saine (Holds various track records in the state of ohio) ran in the low 4.3 range. Chimdi ran a 4.28.

Both players and various coaches have admitted Pryor is clearly the fastest player on the team. They expect him to run around the same as Chimdi did this past pro day.

It would not surprise me in anyway at all if Pryor ran a 4.32-4.34ish at the combine and around a 4.28-4.30 at the pro day. There is video circulating of him running a 4.32

And remember, I said HIGH 4.2's. I think he can sneak right under 4.3, not that he is going to go run a 4.20 flat.

You're wrong. Pryor is no faster than Newton, and if he does test faster, it will only be because he is like 20+ pounds lighter.

At no point have I seen Pryor look like even a 4.4 guy. "High 4.2" for Pryor has to be the most mind-blowingly ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.

the_dark_knight
05-03-2011, 08:26 AM
RGIII is going to be a stud for sure. He's prolly my #2 QB atm, but then Aaron Murray is right there too, going to be interesting. Can College Football start already!! c'mon!

steelcrew43
05-03-2011, 09:05 AM
kellen moore=chase daniel type career

JoeJoeBrown
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Good point on the TDs and completion %. I still don't know how a schlub like Gabbert got drafted in the first with 16TDs in a spread offense.

JoeJoeBrown
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
You're wrong. Pryor is no faster than Newton, and if he does test faster, it will only be because he is like 20+ pounds lighter.

At no point have I seen Pryor look like even a 4.4 guy. "High 4.2" for Pryor has to be the most mind-blowingly ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.

Agree that there is no effing way Pryor runs near a 4.2.

He'll be in the 4.45-4.5 range which is hauling ass for a big dude like him.

jth1331
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Lots of hate for Landry Jones.
I don't see how he isn't a lock for the 1st round as long as he doesn't eff things up next year.
Good arm, mobile, just would need to fine tune his accuracy. I don't see how he's any less of a prospect that Gabbert and Ponder were, and they were drafted top 12.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
You say that now, but come next year people will claim he is a 2nd rounder. Just look at Andy Dalton, he was a mid rounder who just kept building steam until the top of the 2nd. People want to be hopeful on QBs.

''Short QBs can make it! Brees!'' "you can't ignore that production!"

This is probably true...but a team would really be wasting a 2nd rounder to even consider it. It's not that he's severely physically limited in just one way, he's got two things that will legit prevent him from ever being a valuable quarterback when it comes time to actually get on the field.

Master Exploder
05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
It's cool seeing all of the Aaron Murray love outside of UGA fans. I think he's got a lot of potential to be a top QB prospect, but I don't see him leaving next year. He's too much of a competitor and he's smart enough to know he needs to hone his skills a bit more.

While he does possess really great ability, his height concerns me greatly... I'm 6'1 and I pass him on the sidewalk 3 times a week and he's got to be atleast an inch and a half shorter than me.

bruschis4all
05-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Pryor is the 3-4 olb Belichick has been looking for. Get him up to 245. Could still run a 4.4 or 4.5. Closest thing I've seen athletically to Lavar Arrington in the state high school playoffs

Babylon
05-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Pryor is the 3-4 olb Belichick has been looking for. Get him up to 245. Could still run a 4.4 or 4.5. Closest thing I've seen athletically to Lavar Arrington in the state high school playoffs

And he'd know what the QB is thinking......on second thought.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by CrackerJack465

At 6'6", I serious doubt he approaches any of these times. Looks like a solid 4.53 guy to me.

CrackerJack465
05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by CrackerJack465

At 6'6", I serious doubt he approaches any of these times. Looks like a solid 4.53 guy to me.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Wake-me-when-Terrelle-Pryor-s-fake-40-time-eclip?urn=ncaaf-181904

" His [Pryor's] 40 time was a speedy 4.33. Sophomore receiver Lamaar Thomas said he ran a 4.37 and no one else ran under 4.4 when the players were timed early this summer. ...

"I'm not so sure he might not be one of the fastest guys in the conference," OSU coach Jim Tressel said of Pryor. "I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Our other guys aren't slow."

Did someone honestly say Cam Newton was faster? Cam is just shifty, but Pryor is faster. Im not saying his 40 time is going to help him in the pros. I think he will be a gigantic bust and am no way supporting him as a 1st rounder, lets get that straight.

But his athleticism is unmatched. You'll all see it at the combine when he absolutely goes off. Some team will take him round 1 and he will run in the 4.3's. We can revisit this next year obviously but not much is going to come out of this argument without solid proof.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
We're talking high school 40 times and Ohio State 40 times...two notoriously accurate measurements there...

LickaMahfeetz
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
This, this, and more this please. With an extra side of this, even. I have zero clue why Barkley specifically is viewed as a fantastic prospect at this point. He's had some alright years and made some pretty significantly strides, but he has not truly broken out of and proved to be anything more than a guy with some potential yet. He's not some prodigal talent who you can project to be successful without showing NFL traits at the college level either. Like Babylon already said, the grass is always greener on the other side. Half of those guys listed are going to end up being major non-prospects by the time the process runs it's course.
Barkley's growth from his Freshman year to his Sophmore year was astronomical. Two completely different players. I'd be surprised if Barkley doesn't challenge Luck as the best QB in the conference and the draft. There was a large part of last season where Barkley led Luck in almost every single passing category and then Barkley kinda fell off for the last four games of the year, missing one due to injury.

Barkley has that it factor and Pete Carroll knew it. That's why he did the unprecedented thing and started him as a Freshman. He's going to be a very good QB prospect for somebody if he continues to improve and I see no reason for less than exponential growth again this year.

niel89
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
What does it matter that he has good straight line speed anyways? I would much rather have a guy who is shifty than a guy who is just fast at QB. Running a 4.3 or a 4.7 doesn't change how a view a QB very much.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Barkley's growth from his Freshman year to his Sophmore year was astronomical. Two completely different players. I'd be surprised if Barkley doesn't challenge Luck as the best QB in the conference and the draft. There was a large part of last season where Barkley led Luck in almost every single passing category and then Barkley kinda fell off for the last four games of the year, missing one due to injury.

Barkley has that it factor and Pete Carroll knew it. That's why he did the unprecedented thing and started him as a Freshman. He's going to be a very good QB prospect for somebody if he continues to improve and I see no reason for less than exponential growth again this year.

I'm just not completely sold yet. Don't get me wrong, I have no real bias against Barkley...I argued him as the better sheer prospect over Andrew Luck before last year, but I want to see him take another step up into his game and smooth some things out. Not saying that I don't think he can do it, but I don't buy him as the über-prospect people are billing him as already. All the tools and ability are there, but I'm concerned with his comparatively low YPA and overall consistency level. He had a tendency to look pretty raw against good defenses. We're talking about a guy who should be hitting his stride soon though, so I can buy projection and assumed improvement as an argument for him.

metafour
05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Wake-me-when-Terrelle-Pryor-s-fake-40-time-eclip?urn=ncaaf-181904

" His [Pryor's] 40 time was a speedy 4.33. Sophomore receiver Lamaar Thomas said he ran a 4.37 and no one else ran under 4.4 when the players were timed early this summer. ...

"I'm not so sure he might not be one of the fastest guys in the conference," OSU coach Jim Tressel said of Pryor. "I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Our other guys aren't slow."

Everyone at VTech runs a 4.2-4.3. Your point is invalid.

Did someone honestly say Cam Newton was faster? Cam is just shifty, but Pryor is faster.

Show me one Pryor run where he looks significantly faster than Newton. A "4.3" vs. a 4.58 should be noticeable. Pryor looks no faster than Kaepernick who ran a 4.5.

Please take into account that Newton ran past LSU's entire defense and accelerated past Patrick Peterson on his highlight run of last year.

keylime_5
05-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Pryor is fast. At worst he should run in the 4.4s. Everyone including Saine and Chekwa said he was the fastest guy on the team a year ago, and those two guys blazed forties at their pro days/combine this offseason.

And canadian, don't worry, Pryor's not a legit 6'6". I'd say he's closer to 6'3" or 6'4" really.

We're splitting hairs anyhow. The guy is gonna have a really impressive forty for a guy his size no matter what it "officially" is, and his vertical and broad jumps should be ridiculous too.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Looking back, I'm surprised Ryan Lindley hasn't been mentioned yet. Really good size at 6'4 210 with the arm strength to match. Complete package as far as physical tools go. Although he absolutely needs to find a way to cut down on the interceptions and put the ball where it needs to be more often, he's coming out of a pro-type offense and seems to have decent enough mechanics. He's a guy I really want to see a whole ton more of next season. Ultimately, I feel like he probably won't break into the first round mix, but he could be a real legitimate option as a developmental passer who can payoff if you handle right. He made some huge strides last year...so you still never know I guess.

Since he's an underexposed guy right now, here's some youtube highlights of his Bowl Performance where he put up a 18-23/276/ 2 TD line without any interceptions. Since it's just a clip, take it for what it's worth, but you can see some of the tools on a basic level at least.

0u_ucRw-rZQ

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Here are my top 15 QBs as of now going into the 2011 season.

http://showntheredcard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/p1.andrew-luck.icon_.jpg
1. Andrew Luck
6'4/235 Senior
Stanford

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/12/05/auburn-oregon-bcs-bowls/landry-jones-p1.jpg
2. Landry Jones
6'4/230 Junior
Oklahoma

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/San+Jose+State+v+USC+9tZAAxduFIAl.jpg
3. Matt Barkley
6'2/220 Junior
USC

http://sportskraze.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/ryan-tannehill.jpg
4. Ryan Tannehill
6'4/219 Senior
Texas A&M

http://www.eastcountysports.com/main/2008-09/features/photos/SDSU-ryanLindley-vsCSU.JPG
5. Ryan Lindley
6'4/215 Senior
San Diego State

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brandon+Weeden+Oklahoma+State+v+Kansas+yAJVBBb7Xdq l.jpg
6. Brandon Weeden
6'4/213 Senior
Oklahoma State

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Michael+Mohamed+Nick+Foles+California+v+Arizona+pQ XzyRwXeoDl.jpg
7. Nick Foles
6'5/240 Senior
Arizona

http://www.tackonthat.com/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/030c0_dan-persa-p1.jpg
8. Dan Persa
6'1/210 Senior
Northwestern

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Robert-Griffin-III.jpg
9. Robert Griffin III
6'2/220 Junior
Baylor

http://maizeandgoblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Terrelle-Pryor.jpg
10. Terrelle Pryor
6'6/233 Senior
Ohio State

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/files/2010/10/kellen-moore_p1.jpg
11. Kellen Moore
6'0/219 Senior
Boise State

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Aaron+Murray+Florida+v+Georgia+vuch0TP_UC-l.jpg
12. Aaron Murray
6'1/209 R-Sophomore
Georgia

http://sportsyakima.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/FCS-Championship-Foot_Mich.jpg
13. Bo Levi Mitchell
6'2/210 Senior
Eastern Washington

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41780_209329278618_7538_n.jpg
14. Alex Tanney
6'4/220 Senior
Monmouth College

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics31/400/RP/RPYEZFIBTZFROLC.20101026160753.jpg
15. Brad Sorensen
6'5/225 Junior
Southern Utah

draftgod
05-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Tyler Wilson and Robert Griffin III are a couple more to keep an eye on.

Not buying Griffin as a serious QB prospect. He'll probably measure shorter than 6'2, as another athlete playing QB. He'll end up as Tyrod Taylor. His case would be helped by another "athlete" QB on the shorter/leaner side making it at the next level. But Troy Smith, Dennis Dixon, Pat White, Brad Smith and Reggie McNeal to name a few, haven't done him any favors. I just laugh when I see Griffin rated high among QBs. Look at the QBs that are being drafted high...they aren't anything like Robert Griffin.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Not buying Griffin as a serious QB prospect. He'll probably measure shorter than 6'2, as another athlete playing QB. He'll end up as Tyrod Taylor. His case would be helped by another "athlete" QB on the shorter/leaner side making it at the next level. But Troy Smith, Dennis Dixon, Pat White, Brad Smith and Reggie McNeal to name a few, haven't done him any favors. I just laugh when I see Griffin rated high among QBs. Look at the QBs that are being drafted high...they aren't anything like Robert Griffin.

Vince Young? Cam Newton? Colin Kaepernick? Tim Tebow? First off with respect to a lot of those guys but Griffin is a world class athlete period. If he decides to pursue it he has a nice chance at making the 2012 olypmic team as a hurdler. Also his arm is actually pretty good and his mechanics don't make you puke like Tebow and Kaepernick. I personally think Griffin is a better QB and WR prospect than Terrelle Pryor. Last year for Griffin 67% completion percentage, 22 TD's only 8 INT's, 3500 yards. He's also doing this with inferior talent around him. If he improves on those numbers he will have some serious draft steam.

draftgod
05-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Like I said, they're nothing like Robert Griffin lol. He has more in common with Tyrod Taylor than Cam Newton. Those guys are 6'6 and other than Young have rifle arms. Don't even bring Tebow into it...1 guy thought he was a franchise QB and he's a coordinator now. I agree whole-heartedly that he's a much better QB prospect that Pryor, who is probably a better TE prospect. But Griffin...he's a back-up. He'll come out saying he's a QB and not a multi-faceted weapon, face doubts at every angle and someone will draft him mid-late for depth in hopes he agrees to return punts.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't think Robert Griffin is an "athlete playing quarterback" at all. He's a quarterback who happens to be a good athlete. Most of his better passing performances come from within the pocket, a place he's pretty comfortable in. He only looks to run on designed plays and when the blocking breaks down. We've heard this countless times about guys before, but it's really the case with Griffin. Kid has off the charts intangibles on top of the the measurable ability too. Came from a strong, military family and takes school just as seriously as he does football.He actually graduated early with a degree in political science and is just now starting graduate school. He's been a leader in that Baylor locker room since he set foot on campus, which is a rare thing to see. He does have some kinks and transition to make, but their more in line with the kind of things Jake Locker had to go through during some of the rougher moments at Washington. The offense he's in right now won't demand those sort of changes, but it's been a mixed bag as to if it's a good thing to go through that at the college level or sitting for a year in the NFL.

As far as height goes, 6'2 is plenty...and that's only one off his listed height. Both Phil Taylor and Danny Watkins were rounded up similarly, but Baylor has no drastic history of overstating heights like Florida State used to.

draftgod
05-04-2011, 11:36 PM
That's fine, people were arguing Cam Newton was a polished stud 3 months ago before it became painfully obvious that he wasn't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. A few things you can't change though...you can't make him taller. It'll be a gift if he measures 6'2 but as we all know, you can safely take an inch off of most school measurements. And you can't change the color of his skin. I'm not incinuating anything prejudicial here myself but all of the evidence about african american QBs of his size and skillset tels you rather unequivocally that when they insist on being QBs, they grudgingly get drafted late as "developmental" QBs with "the ability to play slot WR or return kicks on the next level". Hard to argue that. If he were 6'5-6'6 with a rocket arm built like a DE, it would be a different story. I'm not buying into Griffin as a franchise QB.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-04-2011, 11:52 PM
^^ I think it's blatantly obvious that you have not watched Griffin play or not closely enough, and yes you are making racial judgments. Every player is his own case and Griffin as mentioned is not just an ethlete playing QB. Also I'd like to see these people you say called Cam Newton, "a polished stud."

draftgod
05-05-2011, 12:15 AM
What am I missing? An athletic african-american QB from a spread offense who's on the shorter side and doesn't possess an elite arm. Even against this 2011 crop of QBs, he'd have been in the same situation as Tyrod. You can turn a blind eye to it all and just figure I'm racist...I'm just trying to keep it real. There are stereotypes out there aplenty. Ignore it if you want. This upcoming clas of QBs is going to much stronger than this years. With everything going against him, I feel safe to say he'll land in the middle-rounds if he goes out and impresses under center like Tyrod. Griffin is gonna start start from a point much, much lower than the more highly rated QBs with the ideal skillsets for the NFL. He has a lot further to go to make it into that same tier. Ill give you one thing...there's no character issues. But there's everything else...and the blown knee, which will come up.

descendency
05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
The guy who could fly up the draft boards is Tyler Wilson of Arkansas.

What little I've seen from him has looked like he could be a top 10 pick.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-10-2011, 10:47 AM
As of now which confernce is more loaded with Pro-potential QB's, the Pac 12 or the Big 12?

Babylon
05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
As of now which confernce is more loaded with Pro-potential QB's, the Pac 12 or the Big 12?

Pac-12. Luck, Barkley and Foles could all potentially go in the first round.

jrdrylie
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Pac-12. Luck, Barkley and Foles could all potentially go in the first round.

Another guy from the PAC-12 I haven't seen play much but I've heard some good things about is Jeff Tuel from Washington State. You don't hear much about WSU or see them on TV often considering they haven't had a winning season since 2003. Have any of you watched Tuel play extensively? Could he potentially sneak into the first two rounds?

ElectricEye
05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm going Pac 12 here. Luck and Barkley are better than anything the Big XII has on offer as things currently stand right now, although I do really like Robert Griffin III. Not so big on Landry Jones. There's some physical talent there for sure to go along with the size, but I think a lot of his flaws are being masked by Ryan Broyles and that Oklahoma offense. I don't see a guy who is all that refined as a passer or as smooth through progressions. It's WAAAAY too early to make any kind of accurate assessment on Tannehill, although I do like his game quite a bit. Let's let him get more than 7 games under his belt before we do any kind of NFL projection on the guy.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm not a big an of his but I don't think Kellen Moore is any worse of a prospect than Andy Dalton. He's defintely smaller but Moore is a lot more accurate. He'll likey go in the 4th-6th round range where Dalton would have gone in most other years.

BTW sleeper name to watch out for, Kyle Padron. You can argue system QB but he has some tools. Dominique Davis is another guy to watch who could be on the rise. He started of at BC and had a big year last year at ECU.

Babylon
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Another guy from the PAC-12 I haven't seen play much but I've heard some good things about is Jeff Tuel from Washington State. You don't hear much about WSU or see them on TV often considering they haven't had a winning season since 2003. Have any of you watched Tuel play extensively? Could he potentially sneak into the first two rounds?

Tuel has a couple of yeas of eligibility left so i dont see him in the 2012 draft. He has decent size and can run and throw a little but not yet what i would call elite, but he could get there.

ElectricEye
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Pardon does have a bit of an arm on him. I'm not a big fan of much else, to be honest with you though. He seems like the type of guy who is going to stay all four years, barring something spectacular this year. Might be something then.

SickwithIt1010
05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Tuel has a couple of yeas of eligibility left so i dont see him in the 2012 draft. He has decent size and can run and throw a little but not yet what i would call elite, but he could get there.

I think Tuel will be an interesting prospect in a couple years, if he was playing for anyone else in the Pac 10/12 he would be a hot name.

SolidGold
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I am really eager to see Lindley this year. This is a really deep class overall, lots of QBs to check out during the college football season.

Big Bird
05-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not a big an of his but I don't think Kellen Moore is any worse of a prospect than Andy Dalton. He's defintely smaller but Moore is a lot more accurate. He'll likey go in the 4th-6th round range where Dalton would have gone in most other years.

BTW sleeper name to watch out for, Kyle Padron. You can argue system QB but he has some tools. Dominique Davis is another guy to watch who could be on the rise. He started of at BC and had a big year last year at ECU.
Dominique Davis is nothing special. Solid tools, but he isn't even better then Josh Portis. Erratic accuracy and awkward delivery.

I don't care what the numbers say, he was pretty average last season. Davis also transferred after he was suspended (lost the JUCO National Title to someone we all know pretty well, Cam Newton).

Davis probably won't get drafted and probably doesn't deserve to be. At least one of his brothers (Desmond Clark) is in the NFL...

shylo3716
05-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Add E.J. Manuel to this list after a Nat'l Title for him.

Brown Leader
05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
At this point, not a huge fan of anyone really past Luck, but here's a true sleeper. If he manages to beat out the heavy competition for his spot I think he could have a break out year...Garrett Gilbert Texas.

CashmoneyDrew
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
At this point, not a huge fan of anyone really past Luck, but here's a true sleeper. If he manages to beat out the heavy competition for his spot I think he could have a break out year...Garrett Gilbert Texas.

He was pretty bad last year and in the spring game.

I doubt he can move ahead of guys like Barkley, Jones, Foles or even Lindsley. And I doubt he would leave early to be the 6th or 7th QB taken.

TACKLE
05-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Despite not being a big Luck fan, I'm really warming up to this QB class. There's a lot of guys who still have a lot to prove but this class has the potential to be a very good class. Andrew Luck, EJ Manuel, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Ryan Lindley and Ryan Tannehill all could be potential 1st rounders based off ability. And don't forget Robert Griffin III who is a much more proficient passer than he gets credit for, Branden Weeden who might be viewed as a potential top 10 pick if it weren't for his age, Nick Foles who's been highly productive and Kirk Cousins who alot of people seem to like. Some guys will fall off the radar and some will burst on the scene, but I'm excited about the depth of talent in this QB class heading into the 2011 season.

Leon Sandcastle
05-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Is Nick Foles really good? Can you guys break him down. Strengths, weaknesses, mental makeup, who does he compare to?

wicket
05-28-2011, 05:07 PM
well to be fair, every year is the year of the QB a year before the draft and when the draft finally comes around its always a historical wasteland of QBs

SickwithIt1010
05-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Is Nick Foles really good? Can you guys break him down. Strengths, weaknesses, mental makeup, who does he compare to?

I personally think he is a product of the offense at Zona. Zona has always been a stat friendly system and their have been MUCH more productive QB's to come out of that program, that haven't gone on to do anything away from the college game. People see Foles size and they start drooling.

TACKLE
05-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Think Matt Cassel. Similar physical make-up, similar styles of play. Foles will need to be in the right situation to reach that level but I think he compares favorably.

jack1077
05-28-2011, 11:50 PM
I seriously doubt that any team drafting a QB in rounds 1 or 2 will take one next year except maybe late in the draft. GM's do like to keep their jobs and explaining to your boss why you made a mistake usually doesn't happen for 3 or 4 years.

San Fran might. And Cincy. If its first round, they don't bail after one season, if its the second or later, they do. Beck and Clausen for example.

FUNBUNCHER
05-29-2011, 01:00 AM
well to be fair, every year is the year of the QB a year before the draft and when the draft finally comes around its always a historical wasteland of QBs

QFT.

I don't think there's any way EJ Manuel comes out after one season, unless he leads FSU to an epic season.

Another first year starter in the ACC to keep an eye on is Mike Glennon, of NC State. HC Tom O'Brien is so high on Glennon he declined to accept Russell Wilson's request to come back as the starter for one more season.

Glennon is my darkhorse for the best QB in the ACC in 2011.

TACKLE
05-29-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't think there's any way EJ Manuel comes out after one season, unless he leads FSU to an epic season.

As much as it pains me to say, its quite possible that Manuel leads FSU to an 11 win season, ACC Championship, BCS Berth while being the ACC Offensive Player of the Year and a Heisman candidate. As a Cane fan I sincerely hope it doesn't, but I could see that scenario playing out. Don't know if that meets your standards for "epic".

FUNBUNCHER
05-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Yeah, that would be an epic season IMO for the Seminoles.

11 wins, AACC, BCS bowl and nice passing stats, (2700-3500yds, 60+%comp.,22-25+TDs) for Manuel, and maybe he considers it.

SolidGold
05-29-2011, 09:41 AM
i dont see FSU going on any sort of tear this year. I doubt they beat Oklahoma. Not an E.J. Manuel fan here, once teams have enough game tape on him it will redude his effectiveness. I think Glennon has a shot at being really good but am really high on Danny O'Brien from Maryland.

descendency
05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
We're talking high school 40 times and Ohio State 40 times...two notoriously accurate measurements there...

Almost as accurate as Florida times.

edit: I don't really like Landry Jones' accuracy. I think he going to need to improve his ball placement because he throws behind his receivers too much for the system he runs.

CameronCropper
05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
QFT.

Another first year starter in the ACC to keep an eye on is Mike Glennon, of NC State. HC Tom O'Brien is so high on Glennon he declined to accept Russell Wilson's request to come back as the starter for one more season.

Glennon is my darkhorse for the best QB in the ACC in 2011.

Great shout.

Looking forward to seeing Glennon a lot.

descendency
05-29-2011, 11:44 AM
HC Tom O'Brien is so high on Glennon he declined to accept Russell Wilson's request to come back as the starter for one more season.

I know a lot of people are going to claim what they've read, but the local (and I do mean local) word is that Coach O'Brien was tired of not having his QB in spring practices and Glennon was good enough to finally tell Russell to hit the road.

Russell Wilson would be the QB of the team if he committed to football. Everyone knows Russell has ZERO future in football and therefore he wants to basically Brett Favre it. edit: In this case, instead of showing up to pre-season practice, Russell is playing baseball with his minor league team and in the developmental league. It clearly hurt the team last year despite Russell's talent at the QB position being really really high.

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I know a lot of people are going to claim what they've read, but the local (and I do mean local) word is that Coach O'Brien was tired of not having his QB in spring practices and Glennon was good enough to finally tell Russell to hit the road.

Russell Wilson would be the QB of the team if he committed to football. Everyone knows Russell has ZERO future in football and therefore he wants to basically Brett Favre it. edit: In this case, instead of showing up to pre-season practice, Russell is playing baseball with his minor league team and in the developmental league. It clearly hurt the team last year despite Russell's talent at the QB position being really really high.

That's what i heard to. O'Brien wanted a commitment to the football team from Wilson and never got it. I think Glennon will be good but im sure he is being talked up some as well. I do recall Glennon was a pretty highly thought of prospect coming out of HS. My ACC QB man crush is Danny O'Brien from Maryland though.

I actually think NC State could have a pretty solid year. They lost Nate Irving but still have quite a few holdover defensive players.

princefielder28
06-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's my current Top 10 for next year...

1. Andrew Luck : Stanford*
2. Matt Barkley : USC*
3. Kirk Cousins : Michigan State
4. Ryan Lindley : San Diego State
5. Landry Jones : Oklahoma*
6. Geno Smith : West Virginia*
7. Ryan Tannehill : Texas A&M
8. Chandler Harnish : Northern Illinois
9. Nick Foles : Arizona
10. Brandon Weeden : Oklahoma State

gator3guy
06-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Geno Smith's going to have a monster year.

TACKLE
06-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Almost as accurate as Florida times.

michael lombardi said some thing about florida having a fast track but in recent year's that hasn't been true at all. it's natural grass a natural grass field which are almost always slower than field turf. it's the same field where brandon spikes ran a 5.1 and ahmad black ran slower than he did at the combine. if there's any two notorious fast tracks in college football, its osu and vt.

SativaDominant
06-05-2011, 11:41 AM
michael lombardi said some thing about florida having a fast track but in recent year's that hasn't been true at all. it's natural grass a natural grass field which are almost always slower than field turf. it's the same field where brandon spikes ran a 5.1 and ahmad black ran slower than he did at the combine. if there's any two notorious fast tracks in college football, its osu and vt.

Yeah, Florida has always run their pro day times on the grass at Ben Hill Griffin. Their times are always notoriously slow.

Although, they did have that stupid placard a couple years ago that said Rainey, Demps, Harvin, and Murphy were all sub 4.3 guys.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
09-25-2011, 10:15 PM
I am looking over how my preseason top 15 list looked...I am working on a new top 15 list as we speak, but lets look at how the preseason list is performing.

1. Andrew Luck – 786 yards, 8 TDs, 1 INT, 67.1 Comp %, 3-0
(Dominating inferior talent…potential #1 pick is sure looking like a sure fire NFL star)

2. Landry Jones – 1,022 yards, 5 TDs, 4 INT, 72.1 Comp %, 3-0
(Putting up tons of yards against solid defenses in FSU and Mizzou…may not be Sam Bradford, but he is very good in his own right)

3. Matt Barkley – 1,119 yards, 10 TDs, 3 INT, 67.8 Comp %, 3-1
(May not have as much talent around him as past USC signal callers…tons of experience will suite him well at the NFL level)

4. Ryan Tannehill – 892 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INT, 67.0 Comp %, 2-1
(Struggled in 1st real test at Okie State…still relatively new to starting…looks to have great tools)

5. Ryan Lindley – 875 yards, 8 TDs, 1 INT, 51.5 Comp %, 3-1
(Solid season thus far…performed well against Michigan…needs to up his completion percentage)

6. Brandon Weeden – 1,592 yards, 10 TDs, 6 INT, 74.3 Comp %, 4-0
(Advanced age…but he has been great this season…huge comeback this weekend against Texas A&M…looks like he could be a 2nd/3rd round pick)

7. Nick Foles – 1,447 yards, 10 TDs, 0 INT, 70.5 Comp %, 1-3
(Kid is having a great year personally…putting up fantastic numbers against Oklahoma St., Oregon, and Stanford…he may be a top 3 QB at this point?)

8. Dan Persa – Hasn’t played yet due to injury

9. Robert Griffin III – 962 yards, 13 TDs, 0 INT, 85.4 Comp %, 3-0
(Monster year thus far for RG3…video game numbers thus far…putting Baylor on the map…a poor mans Cameron Newton?)

10. Terrelle Pryor – Declared for NFL Supplemental Draft…now with Oakland Raiders

11. Kellen Moore – 995 yards, 12 TDs, 2 INT, 79.0 Comp %, 3-0
(4 years starter having another great year for the Broncos…may not have the arm strength…but if people took a shot on Andy Dalton in the 2nd round, someone will give this proven winner a chance)

12. Aaron Murray – 940 yards, 11 TDs, 3 INT, 63.6 Comp %, 2-2
(Putting together a very solid season after two losses to start the year…second year of SEC competition should prepare him well…could look to bolt early if Mark Richt is fired?)

13. Bo Levi Mitchell – 1,342 yards, 7 TDs, 7 INT, 58.5 Comp %, 0-4
(Having a rough season as the defending FCS champs are off to an 0-4 start…completion percentage needs to improve while his interceptions need to go down…falling off the radar)

14. Alex Tanney – 1,353 yards, 14 TDs, 1 INT, 73.3 Comp %, 3-1
(D-III kid who just needs a chance…dominating his competition…could be a good developmental option down the line)

15. Brad Sorensen – 1,076 yards, 6 TDs, 5 INT, 66.9 Comp %, 3-1
(QB is a failed comeback away from Southern Utah being 4-0…led the Thunderbirds to a win over UNLV this week…kid has a long way to go, but is one to keep an eye on.

YAYareaRB
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
i was a fan of dan persa last season. heart of a champion. undersized. can make most throws but tends to float balls a lot. very mobile from what i seen.