PDA

View Full Version : Everyone likes the Bengals draft

bigbuc
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I like there first four picks... a lot. AJ Green could be one of the best one day. But for me losing Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens and Palmer replacing them with first year starter Jerome Simpson and Rookie Aj Green and Rookie QB Dalton. That's not a lot of football between them. I just don't see how this team will win 4 games. And with Luck, Barkley and Murray coming out next year.. How long does Dalton stay as the new QB for Cinny?

wicket
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
well I think the bengals defense can potentially be dominant, they have a lot of tools there. So I think the D can carry them quite a bit.

On the other hand they will never win that division with this team and tanking a season might not be a bad think for them in the long run

rickscott
05-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I like the Boling choice in Rd 4 and Sands in 5, I am hoping that they can sign a couple of the more highly regarded safeties that went undrafted. All in all, I think they had a great draft, especially if Moch developes into a solid player.

Rosebud
05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
well I think the bengals defense can potentially be dominant, they have a lot of tools there. So I think the D can carry them quite a bit.

On the other hand they will never win that division with this team and tanking a season might not be a bad think for them in the long run

I really like a lot of their pieces, Jerome Simpson is a guy I think has a lot of talent, Gresham is a guy just waiting to explode, Caldwell finished the season really strong and then you add young AJ Green to the mix and that's a lot of young talent out there for a young QB to utilize.

I've got my concerns with their OL, although they do have some sweet pieces, so they could get that running game really rolling to take a lot of the pressure of that young passing attack. Which to go with that incredibly talented defense makes the Bengals one of the more QB friendly environments amongst the teams who took QBs in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised if Dalton has a quietly impressive rookie season if he ends up starting for them from day one.

derza222
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Simpson had a lot of success towards the end of last year, and they'll have Gresham and Shipley as safety valves underneath. With a young QB and a really young core group of receivers I think they definitely could struggle offensively, but as wicket said they have a defense that can be really good.

Ultimately I think the Bengals have to get back to running the football. They ran the ball a lot when they won the division, and with a passing game full of young core players that becomes more important. If they can do a good job on the ground that should help take pressure off the passing game and keep the defense off the field, and they should be able to stay in games and could have a decent season.

With all of the pieces on defense and a lot of interesting guys on offense they could have made a big step forward this past draft. Time will tell, but if things pan out I think the Bengals have a pretty bright future, and if it turns out Dalton isn't the answer they'll have a really high draft pick next year like you said in a draft that should have some interesting young QB's. They don't have a ton invested in him, so if it goes really badly I don't think it will be too hard to move on, and if they elect to do that they'll have a lot of nice pieces on both sides of the ball already built around the other young QB.

Halsey
05-01-2011, 02:07 PM
lol why is everyone suddenly assuming that 6'0 Aaron Murray will declare after his redshirt sophomore year?

J-Mike88
05-01-2011, 02:18 PM
...And with Luck, Barkley and Murray coming out next year.. How long does Dalton stay as the new QB for Cinny?
That's a good question/point.
Many times, a 2nd round QB goes from the great hope, to discarded and written-off, very fast.

We saw it with John Beck in Miami, and saw it right now with Jimmy Santa Clausen. Plus it's happened to other guys not 2nd round picks like the Cardinals QBs.

If Dalton plays, plays poorly, and they lose all the time and secure the #1 pick, you're damn right, Andrew Luck will be their savior and face of the franchize.

I just don't know why they won't cash in Carson Palmer along the way. Forget about setting a precident. It's business. Trade the guy and make a conditional pick in case he leads a team to the playoffs, deep, etc.

Jerome Simpson might be this year's edition of Stevie Johnson, IMO. Watch out.

alexthegr8
05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
That's a good question/point.
Many times, a 2nd round QB goes from the great hope, to discarded and written-off, very fast.

We saw it with John Beck in Miami, and saw it right now with Jimmy Santa Clausen. Plus it's happened to other guys not 2nd round picks like the Cardinals QBs.

If Dalton plays, plays poorly, and they lose all the time and secure the #1 pick, you're damn right, Andrew Luck will be their savior and face of the franchize.

I just don't know why they won't cash in Carson Palmer along the way. Forget about setting a precident. It's business. Trade the guy and make a conditional pick in case he leads a team to the playoffs, deep, etc.

Jerome Simpson might be this year's edition of Stevie Johnson, IMO. Watch out.

I agree with all of this, specifically the part about Simpson. I really liked their draft (I had a man crush on Dalton well before Dilfer made my affinity for him seem tame), and I really think the talent level on that team is undervalued by most. Their defense has tons of young and talented players, as does their offense.

Jerome Simpson is a circus act. His body control, freakish leaping ability and gimormous hands and long arms are amazing. That combo of Simpson and Green is going to lead the league in acrobatic catches from a receiving duo for the next seven years barring injury. They, along with Detroit and a few other young teams have really positioned themselves to be extremely competitive in a season or two if their young kids continue to progress.

gslatt666
05-01-2011, 03:28 PM
it all depends if dalton pans out or not, if he doesn't he will end up setting the franchise back 2 or 3 years

Iamcanadian
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM
You always have to view Cincy's draft with suspicion. They have a very small scouting Department because Brown is cheap and more cheap. That means they look to places like NFLN for draft advice and often stick with very basic picks since they have a hard time scouting to find gems. Their picks past round 2 have very little upside, what you see is what you get types which is why they slipped a little in the 1st place.

Shere Khan
05-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Great Drafting. I love it, no complaints.