PDA

View Full Version : Zombo vs Walden vs Jones vs Elmore

J-Mike88
05-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I wanted to put this to a vote, picking up on the discussion in the other thread.

Kevin Greene apparently really likes Ricky Elmore, probably sees a lot of himself in him. Not great testing speed, but relentless, aggressive, heart & motor, etc.
If I am not mistaken, Elmore had more sacks at Arizona than Brooks Reed did. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Brad Jones is the forgotten one, but a year ago, TT didn't draft a single OLB because they really liked Jones. If you'll remember, his times (3-cone, shuttle, splits, etc.) were really elite, and those measurables are usually pretty accurate in predicting NFL success as OLB sackmasters.

Walden came on late last year and gobbled up Cutler a few times to preserve the do-or-die week 17 victory. But he got injured late....

Zombo did pretty well until he got hurt and missed a bunch of time..... enter Walden.... exit Walden, and then Zombo had a nice Super Bowl getting a sack of Big Ben.

Jones has the best measurables. They've all had moments of production. Apparently the coaches believe in these guys, and like Elmore, because they have not used a high pick to address this position.

So, WHICH OF THESE GUYS to you believe is, and will be, the best for us over the next 3-5 years?

cvv84
05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I believe all of these guys to be stop-gap solutions but I went with Zombo. He's the most natural for the position but will need to stay healthy.

CheeseKnuckles
05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I believe of the 4 Zombo, Walden and Elmore have the greatest potential. Jones seems to be injury prone.

J-Mike88
05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I believe of the 4 Zombo, Walden and Elmore have the greatest potential. Jones seems to be injury prone.
Think about this for a minute.
Yep Jones seems injury-prone. Thru 2 seasons.
Walden hurt his ankle and missed the whole playoffs right?
Zombo avoided the LB injury-bug for awhile, but then his knee turned out to cause him to miss at least a month if I remember correctly, until the Super Bowl.
Matthews has missed just a couple a games, thank God. Imagine him going down like the other guys.

That's why, I agree with cvv, that these others should be stop-gaps. Because they don't appear to be good enough to carry the load if/when Matthews goes down. In this scheme, it's critical that the OLBers get heat on the QBs.

I pointed out before the draft that it seems that we fans think less of Brad Jones than the coaches and GM do. They seem more than content to keep planning on him to be THE MAN, drafting no OLBers last year coming off his rookie season. And no urgency again this draft at the position.

I really want to believe in Ricky Elmore to blossom into a modern Kevin Greene!
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/littleelmsports12/football/2011d_elmore.jpg

cvv84
05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
That's why, I agree with cvv, that these others should be stop-gaps. Because they don't appear to be good enough to carry the load if/when Matthews goes down. In this scheme, it's critical that the OLBers get heat on the QBs.

I pointed out before the draft that it seems that we fans think less of Brad Jones than the coaches and GM do. They seem more than content to keep planning on him to be THE MAN, drafting no OLBers last year coming off his rookie season. And no urgency again this draft at the position.

We're almost doing what the Patriots are doing. They need pass rushers badly yet they didn't take one until very late in the draft. They went off the board early so the Patriots went and loaded up at other positions. Building their defense up before finding the guy they want. All the long taking flyers on later round guys like we did with Elmore and Smith.

I actually really like Brad Jones and I was one of the few that had him making the 53 man roster as a rookie. But there's just too many IF'S with all the guys we have at OLB not named Matthews. I honestly believe we want to upgrade the position but its going to be when we find someone that we love, just like when Matthews was selected.

Running back by committee? Well we have OLB by committee.

CheeseKnuckles
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
We're almost doing what the Patriots are doing. They need pass rushers badly yet they didn't take one until very late in the draft. They went off the board early so the Patriots went and loaded up at other positions. Building their defense up before finding the guy they want. All the long taking flyers on later round guys like we did with Elmore and Smith.

I actually really like Brad Jones and I was one of the few that had him making the 53 man roster as a rookie. But there's just too many IF'S with all the guys we have at OLB not named Matthews. I honestly believe we want to upgrade the position but its going to be when we find someone that we love, just like when Matthews was selected.

Running back by committee? Well we have OLB by committee.

Exactly!!!

SuperPacker
05-02-2011, 01:36 AM
I think the problem is TT saw that we had really good defense the last two years so forgot about it this draft.

IMO we should be doing everything we can to make Dom Capers stay because you never know who might want him and offer him more money. I think Capers would of wanted another OLB like the Steelers with Woodley and Harrison do but TT doesnt think its important.

hoekd0250
05-02-2011, 06:12 PM
I dont get why people think some of these guys are just stop gap players and cant become a starter and great starter. Look we usually play pickett and mathews on the same side so teams will generally run to the otherside. We will sign jenkins and if we dont we will have neal both more of a passrush de than a true runstopping de although they still are good at it. Teams are going to run to that side so you put your best runstuffing lb their which i believe is Zombo. I remember last year Coach Capers said on tape he never saw zombo make the same mistake twice and was one of the smartest and most consistent players they had on the team.

bigboiajhawk
05-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I voted Zombo. People seem to also forget that Zombos knee had been bothering him from the start of training camp. Hopefully he is healthy and will stay healthy. I think that is the biggest thing: staying healthy. Just like everyone else, I expect big things from Zombo in Year 2 of this defense. I really think this competition will be good for CM3. I hope that they cut down on CM3 in these practices and just make sure he stays healthy. I think Elmore needs to start working out with CM3 and he might become a player, I think he makes the team but needs time.

PackerLegend
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I voted for Brad Jones... gets healthly, stays healthly and busts out! Ya

Kind of random but I was searching for a Brad Jones picture and came across this...

http://www.vegasnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Diyral-Briggs-Nick-Barnett-588.jpg

Diyral Briggs, Nick Barnett, Morgan Burnett and Brad Jones

bigboiajhawk
05-02-2011, 09:04 PM
LOL they look like they were having a good night.

J-Mike88
05-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Ironic that of the 4 guys (Barnett, Burnett, Jones, Biggs), only Biggs had anything to do with winning the trophy.

johbur
05-03-2011, 01:45 AM
I like all four of them. I was a huge Brad Jones fan. The guy has great athleticism and heart, but I'm worried about the injuries. Walden showed he could be dominant. Zombo is a great story and the guy keeps making plays whenever he's in. Out of all of them, I'm most familiar with Elmore and have watched every game of his collegiate career. He busts his hump and just does not quit on plays. Matthews and he would be really solid OLBs if Elmore can transition back to LB from DE where he used to be and his height is another bonus, might get some extra batted passes.

J-Mike88
05-03-2011, 08:02 PM
If we could combine the best traits of each of the 4 guys, we'd have...... another Clay Matthews!

SuperPacker
05-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Lol, that would be pretty good.

Zombos run defense
Walden pass rush
Jones athleticism
Walden passionand heart (as Kevin Greene would say)

BloodBrother
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
That's why we'll see a constant rotation opposite Clay. You combine them all and poof, you have another good LBer lol

J-Mike88
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Lol, that would be pretty good.

Zombos run defense
Walden pass rush
Jones athleticism
ELMORE passion and heart (as Kevin Greene would say)
fixed on Elmore

SuperPacker
05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
fixed on Elmore

Lol i was meant to put Elmore. Kevin Greene was speaking really high of his character so i hope he can learn from Greene and Clay III

jack1077
05-30-2011, 04:38 PM
That's why we'll see a constant rotation opposite Clay. You combine them all and poof, you have another good LBer lol

I agree. Unless they get a stud (which is unlikely) they may as well just have them all in rotation. I think Zombo plays the best complimentary role though. Good against the run and is the kind of pass rusher who will get sacks if clay forces them out the blind side, there he can use his relentlessness.

PACKmanN
05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
i don`t know where this Walden pass rush came from, because he has none

johbur
06-01-2011, 12:11 AM
i don`t know where this Walden pass rush came from, because he has none

Check out what he did on January 2, 2011 against the Chicago Bears. They'd disagree with you...

PACKmanN
06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Check out what he did on January 2, 2011 against the Chicago Bears. They'd disagree with you...

that`s the only game in which he was great, but he still hasn`t proven to provide enough pass rush every sunday to rely on...

cvv84
06-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Lets just be honest here, these 4 guys are mearly fodder until we draft a future starter.

IMO the only real battle is between Brad Jones and Frank Zombo. I was extremely high on Jones when we drafted him and thought he showed alot of promise as a rookie. Unfortunately he just hasn't progressed enough and he's becoming a regular on the injury list.

Zombo kind of suprised me and while he may not be flashy he's been a solid player so far. Injuries slowed him as well but I really think he'll be the opening day starter.

Walden was a nice story and his play at the end of the season was greatly needed but realistically he's a backup. His sacks were coverage sacks where the QB started to scramble. Walden was just in the right place at the right time. Don't get me wrong I like him, but as a versitile backup. He went from Cowboys, to the Dolphins, to the Chiefs and failed to stick - thats 3 teams who play the 3-4 and are LB needy.

Elmore has some potential but I think his lack of speed and athleticism is what's going to hurt him. He'd be pretty lucky to end up like Zombo IMO.

J-Mike88
06-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Lets just be honest here, these 4 guys are mearly fodder until we draft a future starter.

IMO the only real battle is between Brad Jones and Frank Zombo. I was extremely high on Jones when we drafted him and thought he showed alot of promise as a rookie. Unfortunately he just hasn't progressed enough and he's becoming a regular on the injury list.

Zombo kind of suprised me and while he may not be flashy he's been a solid player so far. Injuries slowed him as well but I really think he'll be the opening day starter.

Walden was a nice story and his play at the end of the season was greatly needed but realistically he's a backup. His sacks were coverage sacks where the QB started to scramble. Walden was just in the right place at the right time. Don't get me wrong I like him, but as a versitile backup. He went from Cowboys, to the Dolphins, to the Chiefs and failed to stick - thats 3 teams who play the 3-4 and are LB needy.

Elmore has some potential but I think his lack of speed and athleticism is what's going to hurt him. He'd be pretty lucky to end up like Zombo IMO.
I agree with much of ^ that ^.
The thing is, and Ted seems to be holding out for this, is that one of those guys could blossom/develop into a solid, good, or real good OLB under Greene & Capers.

Greene sees a lot of himself in Zombo, and perhaps Elmore.

Brad Jones had the measurables at the combine that TT looks for, and he had a flash or two... but like Walden, they were partly a result of being at the right place at the right time. But still, in both guys cases, they made plays.

I just can't stand guys who can't stay healthy.
Is durability a talent? Or luck?