PDA

View Full Version : Why is Everyone Questioning Jon Baldwin's Character?

KCStud
05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I've heard so much about Baldwin expected to become a cancer for KC and being a bad teammate.

I don't understand this. Yes he was frustrated with the new coach and QB not getting him as involved as he wanted to be last season, but people are making him out to be the next T.O. From what I have heard, he just voiced his opinion and said he thought he should have been more involved.

Regardless, I think Pioli did his homework on this kid. Bill Stull, a position coach in KC, coached at Pittsburgh in 09, so KC knows a lot about him. I also think that he won't be allowed to be a problem in KC. Our locker room is so strong with leaders and good players who love the game. I think a player with character concerns is a player who hung around the wrong crowd. Well the crowd at Arrowhead is very strict and hardworking. The Patriot way has been instilled into our locker room.
What people also don't know is that our head coach is an expert with WR's. Ask Fitzgerald or Bowe about Haley and they will tell you that he brought out the best in them. T.O. also had one of his best seasons at WR in Dallas when Haley was his WR coach.

Bottomline is this. I think KC will see more pro's than con's in their first round draft pick.

bored of education
05-01-2011, 08:01 PM
He hated being at Pitt with ****** coaches and ****** QB and he let it be known rather than showing up everyday going 100%. The due will beast, I am not worried at all.

jayceheathman
05-01-2011, 08:05 PM
He didnt even try during some games. They threw him the ball that wasnt spot on and he didnt even try to catch it. I think they have one example of that happening in the DeMarcus Van Dyke video on youtube. DVD picks it off while Baldwin didnt even make an effort for the ball or to make the tackle.

edit:
ot6IHMroG0A

It's at :58. Pretty pathetic effort by Baldwin. He did that on quite a few occasions. No wonder why they didnt throw his way as much as he wanted.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 08:23 PM
It's a completely legit knock. His on the field demeanor and attitude have been questioned for a long time. Clashed with the Pitt coaches and Tino Sunseri as well. No one is saying that he's a locker room cancer yet, but it's something to keep an eye on for sure and it hurt him a bit too...although he didn't really drop because of it.

onejayhawk
05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
It's a completely legit knock. His on the field demeanor and attitude have been questioned for a long time. Clashed with the Pitt coaches and Tino Sunseri as well. No one is saying that he's a locker room cancer yet, but it's something to keep an eye on for sure and it hurt him a bit too...although he didn't really drop because of it.

Yes he did. Talent wise he is top half of the round.

I think he has a real maturity issue. The work ethic you want seems completely absent. However, I think the Chiefs feel it is only a maturity question, not something more serious.

J

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Ehhh....I'm not so sure about that. The fact that he ran go routes almost exclusively at Pitt and never truly looked all the sharp coming out of his cuts limited his value quite a bit. He's a great vertical threat, no doubt about that at all...but no matter how good you are at getting down the field and snatching the ball out of the air, it's always going to be a low percentage throw. If that's all you can contribute, then your value will always be limited. He ended up right where he should have been in my opinion because of all that. Not an indictment of his talent at all, but rather a function of his rawness. Attitude came into play a bit, but if it really hurt him he would have fallen out of the first few rounds Mallett style.

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
He's the sort of guy you can afford to take a risk on if you have a strong locker room because his upside is tremendous and it likely is just a maturity issue. Pioli's done a good job bringing in team captains and strong character guys since he showed up in Kansas City, and the reason you do that is so you can afford to grab guys like Jon Baldwin and Allen Bailey, since the hope is that the guys in the locker room can get them to buckle down and be serious even if the coaches can't. If this works out for KC, it will likely work out very well.

shylo3716
05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
He bashed his Pitt coaches throughout the whole declaration process

Splat
05-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I like the pick but there is for sure some risk involved taking him.

PossibleCabbage
05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
He bashed his Pitt coaches throughout the whole declaration process

To be honest, having watched Pitt football over the last couple years with no particular rooting interest one way or the other, I'm not sure I wouldn't bash the coaches if asked about them.

ElectricEye
05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
To be honest, having watched Pitt football over the last couple years with no particular rooting interest one way or the other, I'm not sure I wouldn't bash the coaches if asked about them.

I really do think he got a bit of a raw deal so far. The coaches didn't do him any favors whatsoever getting him ready for the NFL with the route tree they gave him. He would be foolish to think otherwise...but saying so publicly is completely unnecessary and benefits absolutely no one, him least of all.

Matthew Jones
05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
He was also arrested at some point during his stay there.

Splat
05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Even as a Chiefs fan I don't have a problem with people questioning the pick you can make a good argument for taking or not taking him.

vidae
05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Baldwin is 21 years old. He has some maturity issues, but what 21 year old doesn't? Thank god the rest of us aren't held hostage by the decisions we made when we were 21 years old. He shouldn't be either.

Pioli did his homework and wasn't worried, and I'm not either. KC is the perfect place for someone like him. Haley will get the most out of him, guaranteed.

phlysac
05-01-2011, 10:41 PM
As a hardcore Pitt homer I can say this...

1. He was cleared of all charges stemming from an incident on a campus bus in 2009 where he reportedly smacked a girl's butt.
2. Not many people were angered with what he said about Dave Wannstedt.
3. It seemed unfair that he called out Tino Sunseri. He didn't do much to help Sunseri all season.
4. His dedication has been questioned his entire career at Pitt. Those that are close to the team do NOT question his passion for the game of football, they simply question his dedication to the team concept.
5. There is visual evidence of multiple times this past season where Baldwin gave up on plays and even more where his effort could be at least questioned. The effort you see in 2009 and 2010 are clearly different. Many close to the team feel that he had mentally declared for the draft prior to the season and loafed all season.
6. I do not believe this will prevent him from becoming a good player. His ability to get open will be that factor.

I love his talent, just wished he'd shown more heart.

marshallb
05-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I heard on the SVP show on ESPN radio that Baldwin choked their QB this year when the QB confronted him about a lack of effort at halftime. If that is indeed true, that's quite a bit more than anything T.O. has ever done, and makes any question of his character well deserved.

phlysac
05-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I heard on the SVP show on ESPN radio that Baldwin choked their QB this year when the QB confronted him about a lack of effort at halftime. If that is indeed true, that's quite a bit more than anything T.O. has ever done, and makes any question of his character well deserved.

Whether this actually happened or not I can't tell you, but I can tell you that rumors of such an event never hit the Pitt sports beat.

FUNBUNCHER
05-02-2011, 03:54 AM
If Baldwin really choked his QB, I think that kind of would have slipped out to the media, which doesn't mean it didn't happen. But it would explain a lot, since Sunseri at times didn't even look Baldwin's way with the football.

I never heard any dirt about Baldwin until just before he declared for the draft and he text-messaged about his QB and Wannstedt.

Baldwin also complained about being used exclusively to run deep routes and hardly ever being used on intermediate routes across the field.

For whatever reason, he and Sunseri weren't on the same page.

Baldwin may have been a little 'mouthy', but his complaints IMO have merit.

Lil Quip
05-02-2011, 04:16 AM
I think the biggest knock on him is how boom or bust he is. He makes Cris Carter style catches then get minimized.

I don't doubt the Chiefs as he was in a similar situation as Julio Jones. Both are uber-talented, but due to scheme, never lived up to potential.

Another issue is that is he is similar to Bowe. Both can look like the best receiver ever at times, but consistency is a knock on both. Maybe the though process is that they got Bowe to buy in, so they can get Baldwin to buy in to.

However I would think you would want a group of receivers of one who can make the highlight catches and another who can do the small things well. Right now, it seems the Chiefs have two of the first.

no bare feet
05-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Other than Julio Jones, Baldwin was one of the better in line and down the field blockers from this WR class.

JFLO
05-02-2011, 07:24 AM
He's a diva but he went to the right team if you ask me. If Haley and Co. can't straighten him out then he'll be cut within the next three years, book it.

ChiefMojo
05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
If it wasn't for Todd Haley one could worry, but Haley is probably the best coach out there to deal with diva WR's... he has seen his share for sure and dealt with them.

Actually one of Baldwins beefs was that Pitt tried to throw way to many deep balls and not enough intermediate routes. Sure from a pure physical/athletic ability he is perfect for the deep routes, but they are high risk routes. He knew he wasn't developing his intermediate game as well as he should have, but that was a coaching issue.

No one can deny his talent ability, his athletic ability and his passion for football, but yes he does seem to have some immaturity issues. There were multiple situations he should have kept his mouth shut. Again I think that is something the Chiefs and for sure Todd Haley can manage.

A tandem of Bowe and Baldwin is freaking scary though!

CrankthatCrabtree
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
If the guy can't deal with the coachign staff at Pitt, then I honestly have no idea how he will deal with the ultra douchebag that is Haley.

I have no doubt that he will clash with Haley

ChiefMojo
05-02-2011, 08:12 PM
He was clashing with the Pitt staff not because he felt they were being mean to him or working him to hard... he felt they were jeopardizing his draft stock by poor coaching, lack talent surrounding him and game planning. Haley isn't going to jeopardize anyone from reaching their highest production level. If you don't try hard, then you get yelled at.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-02-2011, 08:25 PM
And you really see someone who already has shown a lack of respect to his coaching staff and authority reacting well to someone who pushes the boundries and limits of how a coach should treat a player?

That optimism is just laughable

keylime_5
05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
he's a bit of a diva but he isn't the same kind of character concern that you have with a say Jimmy Smith. It's more of an attitude thing. The guy was academic all-big east at Pitt and is a bright kid who is not a bad egg.

GaMeTiMe
05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
The thing in KC, Haley will let him know - We drafted you because I liked you and I see your potential, but if you act up you better believe I won't play you.

Baldwin's upside and Haley's discipline are the perfect match

GoRavens
05-03-2011, 08:45 AM
you guys remember Boldin and Haley arguing? Yeah, that was intense.
Haley is a super stubborn know it all type coach.
Baldwin is a diva, he's selfish and immature.
I just see the 2 not liking each other...

bucfan12
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Honestly, Jonathin Baldwin would have been a better option for the Falcons instead of investing all those draft picks (1st, 2nd, 4th this year ) and a 1st and 4th next year.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
'I don't understand this. Yes he was frustrated with the new coach and QB not getting him as involved as he wanted to be last season, but people are making him out to be the next T.O. From what I have heard, he just voiced his opinion and said he thought he should have been more involved."

Because this is exactly what TO says and does. It doesn't mean he won't be a very productive player, TO has HOF #'s, but nobody can control TO and if Baldwin has those characteristics, I doubt anybody will be able to control him.
Great talent but certainly there are character issues.

phlysac
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
'I don't understand this. Yes he was frustrated with the new coach and QB not getting him as involved as he wanted to be last season, but people are making him out to be the next T.O. From what I have heard, he just voiced his opinion and said he thought he should have been more involved."

Because this is exactly what TO says and does. It doesn't mean he won't be a very productive player, TO has HOF #'s, but nobody can control TO and if Baldwin has those characteristics, I doubt anybody will be able to control him.
Great talent but certainly there are character issues.

And it's not what he said that was the big problem in my opinion. It's that he allowed his dissatisfaction with the Pitt offense affect his commitment and play ON THE FIELD.

I love him and believe he'll have every opportunity to be successful at the next level. But as a Pitt fan, I was more than frustrated with his performance this season which, at least to me, seemed obviously underachieving.