PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville Jaguars Draft Review

MI_Buckeye
05-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Hello everybody, hope you all enjoyed the draft weekend as much as I did. In the interest of curbing post-draft withdrawl, I will be writing a series of detailed draft reviews of each team over the next couple weeks. I will try to post two each day. However, sometimes life intervenes.

The order of the teams reviewed will be determined by a random number generator as I go along. I will start off with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Look for the Arizona Cardinals later in the day.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Where did the franchise stand before the draft:

For the duration of coach Jack Del Rio's eight-year tenure, the Jaguars have been a bit of a throwback franchise built on running the ball at will and stopping the run on command. For years, this was an effective approach as Jacksonville perrenially contended for the playoffs and broke through the glass ceiling by prying the AFC South title from Colts in 2007. This left then-GM Shaq Harris believing the Jags were one great pass rush away from entering the ranks of the NFL elite, and eventually lost his job pursuing that great pass rush.

After the monumental busts of Derrick Harvey (who the Jags gave up more for than the Vikings gave up for Jared Allen) and Quentin Groves, Harris gave way to Gene Smith, who has been one of the most tight-fisted and effective general managers in the league. After two controversial, yet ultimately successful drafts in the past two years, Jacksonville has now fortified both OT positions (Eugene Monroe at LT and Eben Britton at RT), the interior of his D-line, and added several long-term complimentary pieces.

However, poor drafting towards the end of the Harris era left the Jaguars needing to fill more holes than two drafts would allow. Jacksonville still needed a guy or two to get after the QB and could stand to upgrade the linebacking corps, secondary and interior O line. Depth was also a question mark at nearly every position, and while QB David Garrard has been a solid team leader and effective at his job, there weren't many thinking he could be the guy to bring the Lombardi Trophy to the second-smallest market in the NFL.

The Picks

Round One, Pick 10 (from Washington): Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Unthinkable through most of the draft process, Gabbert, once widely thought to be the frontrunner for the top overall pick, fell to the bottom of the top ten after two QBs had already been taken. In response, Jacksonville gave up their second rounder to Washtngton to move up from 16 to 10, in order to nab their future face of the franchise.

I am a big fan of this move. IMO, Gabbert was far and away the best QB prospect in the draft. He comes with a great physical tool set (real strong, great mobility) and an ideal psychological makeup to succeed as an NFL starting QB. Gabbert had one of the highest Wonderlic scores at the Combine and is widely lauded for his ability to pick up complicated concepts in a short amount of time.

To me, the simplified, one-read Missouri offense concealed Gabbert's biggest strengths both physically and cognitively. Unlike many QBs coming out of a spread system, it was actually college where Gabbert was a little out of place, and he should have no trouble adapting to the pro game.

Gabbert was well worth the second round pick, even though I never thought of QB as one of Jacksonville's most urgent needs. David Garrard is an ideal team and community leader, but he remains just a holding piece right now. I wouldn't blame Garrard for being bitter, but if he can swallow his pride, he should be able to serve as the ideal mentor to one of the next great QBs in the league

Round Three, Pick 76 (from San Francisco): Will Rackley, OT/OG, Lehigh

After waiting around for more than sixty picks, The Jags got a little antsy and traded up slightly to get Rackley, a LT at Lehigh who will probably be forced to kick inside due to his 31 inch arms, less than ideal foot quickness and the fact the Jags are already solid at both bookends.

Rackley is a strong and physical player who should fit well into the Jags' blue-collar offense. He is also a Gene Smith prospect, meaning he has great football and personal character as well as good intelligence and confidence. He won't be intimidated when going against the likes of Haloti Ngata and Ndamukong Suh, even if he is significantly outmatched. I saw Rackley as a second round prospect who should be able to beat out Uche Nwaneri at RG this season.

Round Four, Pick 117: Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union

The Jags are thin at WR, with top man Mike Sims-Walker a free agent and coming off a wildly disappointing season. Right now, you could say TE Marcedes Lewis remains their top target.

Shorts probably doesn't fit in right away as a starting-caliber receiver, but he is very quick with strong hands and was super-productive at Division III Mount Union. Because of his competition level, Shorts was able to excel without great consistency in his technique and must work on getting smoother out of his breaks.

However, Smith has proven adept at evaluating players from lower levels of competition and probably sees Shorts as developing into a solid No. 2 WR, while he develops a depth guy and core special teams player, competing for time as a kick returner.

Round Four, Pick 121: Chris Prosinski, S, Wyoming

A deep sleeper who probably could have been had later, Prosinski offers a lot of value because of his athleticism and physicality. He is very similar to former Wyoming safety prospect John Wendling, who contributed significantly to the Lions' late four-game winning streak last season.

Like Wendling, Prosinski is a great straight-line athlete (high school track state champion in 100M and 200M) without great hip flexibility and probably remains a better fit as an in-the-box type. Prosinski would likely make any team as a gunner and coverage player on special teams. Should not play much on defense in 2011.

Round Five, Pick 147: Roderick Issac, CB, Middle Tennessee State

I have only seen MTSU play a couple times the last few seasons and never noticed Isaac, so I can't offer much analysis on this pick. Knowing Gene Smith's track record, he is probaby a tough guy who can contribute on special teams. The Jags definitely needed more depth at CB.

All in all:

You can never fault a team for getting the guy that is going to lead you franchise for the next ten years. This small draft class will be made or broken by Gabbert's perfromance in the long run. Yes, it would have been nice to add a pass rusher like Robert Quinn or Ryan Kerrigan, but those guys aren't nearly as important as a franchise QB.

Since I love Gabbert, I love this draft. I also thought they added some nice complimentary pieces to the offense. Rackley should be a long-term starter on what is looking like a formidable offensive line, and Shorts should develop into a solid secondary receiving option. If one of the sleeper DBs develops into something more than a depth guy, it will be a bonus.

Draft Grade: A

the natural
05-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Good writeup. Contrary to many posters here, I think Gabbert has the lowest failure quotient of any of the quarterbacks taken. A pretty safe pick at #10 overall. Garrard is 12 years older than Gabbert and spent a few years as a backup himself, so I don't think his nose should be out of joint. Time to start to train a replacement. Good situation for Blaine as well, coming to a low profile franchise with an incumbent starter. Barring injury he won't have to play until he is ready.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm not a fan of drafting a franchise quarterback when you're a year or two away from replacing your coaching staff

Lil Quip
05-02-2011, 04:29 AM
I think an A is a little high, but I don't think they are low on the spectrum.

They pushed the Colts this year, but I don't think they are close enough where this draft will put them over the top. Regardless, Gabbert for the future is a good pick.

I think Del Rio hasn't done enough wrong to get axed anytime soon. Del Rio isn't the issue, building a fan base is a bigger issue.

And Cecil Shorts is a waste, just because I gotta hate on Mount Union guys. You should have waited on Jerheme Urbhan's younger brother Caleb. :)

bitonti
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
rds 4 and 5 is a little early to be reaching on UDFA. Maybe Gene Smith is smarter than the rest of us... we will see

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
rds 4 and 5 is a little early to be reaching on UDFA. Maybe Gene Smith is smarter than the rest of us... we will see

Well, it was their last pick, so it was either then or never!

bitonti
05-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, it was their last pick, so it was either then or never!

i'd have been ok with never

i dont have any scientific reasoning behind this but Blaine gabbert looked kinda douchey on stage. was he trying not to cry? i don't have a good feeling about that pick.

batsandgats
05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Have you seen Prosinski play? hes pretty fluid, he is more like Eric Weddle rather than John Wendling, but way to think outside the box by comparing him to the last safety out of the same school. He played with horrible talent surrounding him and was able to stand out with over 317 tackles and 20 pass deflections 4 forced fumbles and 5 interceptions in the last 3 years. If he was on a team that had a good front 7 his stats would be amazing. The Jags got a steal. He can start on day 1 at FS or SS, at worst a dimeback his first year and then start. Hes not limited to special teams like Wendling who never came close to putting up the production that Prosinski had, Wendling was an average safety in college with more value on special teams.

Fa3Sk2JyETc

Thats the condensed version, there is about 30 mins of footage on him on other videos, but lots of replays so takes up alot of time.

the natural
05-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Their draft was really high on character and smarts. Probably the best in the league from that perspective.

roscoesdad27
05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Gabbert will have to start and succeed early to make this pick worth it for a franchise on the brink of relocating. Not sure if u factored this element in but its huge. Gabbert will take over after the first blackout, which will be about 4 games into the season cause they have 0 pass rush. He will be forced in whether he's ready or not at some point imho, good thing he's an extremely quick learner.

I love Gabbert as well but why give an A to a team that didnt address their most pressing need esp. when that need is an optimum position....4-3 rush d.e.

The Linebacker
05-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Need? Drafts aren't there for need, drafts are there to take the best football players available. Free agency is there for need.

The Jags perhaps picked up their future franchise QB for just a 2nd rounder. Who wouldn't want a franchise QB? I for one did absolutely no research on Gabbert until after the pick. Why? I didn't think he'd fall to a place where the Jags could reach him. After watching film, I've come to this conclusion. Gabbert needed to be picked by a team that would give him time to transition to the NFL. He has happy feet and poor footwork, he often imagines the pass rush or his pocket collapsing and his footwork during throws needs to improve (throws kinda like Favre when hes trying to make a play). All of that can be improved with practice. Otherwise he has a great arm, can make all of the throws, good accuracy when he uses proper footwork while throwing and has good athleticism.

Rackley will be battling for a starting position from the outset against an aging Smiley, Manuwai and Meester. If Rackley wins a starting guard spot, it will depend on who loses out in the other battles. Nwaneri has been trained to take over at center, so if Meester falters, Manuwai/Smiley and Rackley would be the starting guards.

Cecil Shorts will come in and battle for the #3 spot from the outset. He'd be going against the likes of Jarrett Dillard (IR the past 2 years), Nate Hughes (IR the past year), and Tiquan Underwood (a speed guy who needs to mature). Osgood is a #5 guy. Sims-Walker is gone.

Prosinski, while a small schooler, has great film, production and measurables. He could immediately step in at FS for the Jags. The current starter, Don Carey, missed too many tackles, took poor angles and was burned often. Prosinski has the smarts to be an over the top center fielder for the Jags, who have already stated that they want to employ a simpler scheme with more attacking as the main focus. Prosinski received offers from Yale and Harvard to play football there after earning a 4.0 in highschool, but he chose Wyoming because he was born there and his father and grandfather went there. Prosinski ended his football career with two 100+ tackle season and the film will attest to that. He seems to read the play well before the other members of his defense and take very good angles to the ball carrier. He has good burst and actually shows surprisingly fluid hips. He also has the size to lay the wood when he gets a good angle.

Issac is a solidly build corner with good timed speed and adequate size. He is effective in the run game and makes good tackles and reads the bubble screen and run plays well. He has great closing and recovery speed. Good NFL receivers that have size advantages will give him trouble on the longer throws. Issac can come in an immediately compete for the nickle CB position against Middleton, Jones and Brackenridge.

All of these players exude poise and dedication. They are all high character guys with some of the being captains. They have been consistently good starters for their teams.

As for Need, GM Gene is already on record (or maybe is was Jack del Rio) as saying they will be looking for defensive help in free agency. If you remember back, they went after Bob Sanders, but ultimately missed out. I could see either Morrison or Durant being resigned, along with signing a veteran S and a couple of linebackers. I know Eric Weddle, Paul Posluszny and Barrett Ruud immediately come to mind.

The Linebacker
05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
As a follow up for some other stuff I left out in regards to need.

DE -- Kampman will be back from IR and hopefully playing well (bum knees isn't a good sign though), also, the Jags ran with 3 rookie DE's down the stretch, Austen Lane, Larry Hart and Aaron Morgan. Lane ended the season as the starter and showed improvement every game. Hart has size issues and wore out as the season progressed, ultimately being benched for a game to regain his composure (which, according to Del Rio and Hart, really helped), Morgan was an UDFA who flashed but ultimately needs a year to bulk up and catch up to the speed of the NFL. Harvey is probably on his way out and Jeremy Mincey played some of the season injured and missed a few games.

DL -- The team's rotation should be getting even better with the return of 3rd round pick D'Anthony Smith, who sustain an achilles injury (hopefully he returns healthy, so far the reports are that he is on track), and incremental improvement that a player should see from year to year with the starting DT's Alualu and Knighton, who both have to work on conditioning (especially Knighton).

LB -- Jags only have Daryl Smith currently under contract and the rest are backup types at best.

CB -- Mathis is a step slower than he used to be and has forgotten how to tackle, but can still make plays on the ball. Cox was benched early last year for unknown reasons but upon his return, came back and was the best CB on the team. The rest of the guys are NB or DB talent at best. Issac is an unknown quantity, but hopefully excels. Terrence Wheatley is also an unknown who could come in and compete, as he didn't work out for the Patriots because of injuries, but a healthy Wheatley could work well.

S -- The Jags tried something like 6 different safety combinations, using Gerald Alexander, Courtney Greene, Don Carey, Anthony Smith and Sean Considine. Alexander was cut early, Smith traded and Considine is a FA with ST talent at best (not athletic enough to start at S). Greene showed promise at the SS position but was dogged by injuries. Carey, a converted CB, blew coverages, took bad angles and missed tackles. Prosinski has a chance to take the FS from the get go.

The Linebacker
05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Oh yea, good review.

SilentJaguar
05-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I really dislike Gabbert and didn't really want him on the Jags. Sadly, he is now and hopefully he'll develop into at least a decent NFL QB, but I'm just not convinced he will.

Pronsinski didn't really shock me given that the front office really seemed to like him. Issac was pretty out-of-nowhere, though. I think I watched MTSU play twice this past season and couldn't remember anyone from the defense that played well. Like Rackley, though, kid should be a stud.

Also, people who keep parroting the who "the Jags are gonna be moving to LA" stuff need to get a clue and realize it's not gonna happen. That talking point's been dead for about 6 or 7 months now.

Nice write-up, though.

Unbiased
05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Gabbert will have to start and succeed early to make this pick worth it for a franchise on the brink of relocating. Not sure if u factored this element in but its huge. Gabbert will take over after the first blackout, which will be about 4 games into the season cause they have 0 pass rush. He will be forced in whether he's ready or not at some point imho, good thing he's an extremely quick learner.

I love Gabbert as well but why give an A to a team that didnt address their most pressing need esp. when that need is an optimum position....4-3 rush d.e.

So how do suppose they managed to avoid ANY blackouts last year? Magic?

roscoesdad27
05-02-2011, 10:23 PM
So how do suppose they managed to avoid ANY blackouts last year? Magic?

idk man, just saying that gabbert could be forced in early if they get off to a slow start and attendance drops....maybe I'm over analyzing.

Timbathia
05-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Their draft was really high on character and smarts. Probably the best in the league from that perspective.

You mean the Josh McDaniels theory of drafting? We take smart, versatile character guys, who unfortunately are lousy at football.

nepg
05-02-2011, 11:06 PM
They made an aggressive move to get their man. Great.

Afterwards...a very mediocre draft. I doubt any of the other draftees do anything.

SilentJaguar
05-02-2011, 11:08 PM
idk man, just saying that gabbert could be forced in early if they get off to a slow start and attendance drops....maybe I'm over analyzing.
I'd say you are.

You mean the Josh McDaniels theory of drafting? We take smart, versatile character guys, who unfortunately are lousy at football.
C'mon man... don't feed the troll.

GaMeTiMe
05-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Say what you want about Gabbert as a prospect, but the Jags did the right thing by taking the chance here. It wasn't a monumental package to move up for "their guy", they slid up a few spots to nab potentially one of the better players from this class and the face of the franchise.

I think the Jags had a solid draft, but I don't really believe in giving grades this year because there hasn't been free agency. Usually the draft is the last thing the teams do before starting the season and it really makes a statement about how the roster will look when things open.

For example, if the Eagles had already failed to sign Asomugha and then had the draft they had, it would look a lot worse than it does now when there's a very real chance of them landing him.

bigbuc
05-03-2011, 01:10 AM
I would have liked them to draft Quinn at ten.

Quinn, Alualu, Knighton, could have been a very, very good D line for a long time.

FUNBUNCHER
05-03-2011, 02:28 AM
I've never heard of a spread system holding back an elite QB prospect. Gabbert doesn't look that comfortable throwing the ball downfield more than 15 yards. It won't get any easier in the pros.

IMO he's as raw as any QB in this draft.

Dig the Jags draft any potential starters?? Not too excited about any of these picks, to be honest.

roscoesdad27
05-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Need? Drafts aren't there for need, drafts are there to take the best football players available. Free agency is there for need.

I agree for the most part but there are soo many teams with immediate need at d.e. and the cupboard is fairly bare, your pass rush will be abysmal again imho.

Quinn woulda been a MUCH better choice if your trying to win this year.

fenikz
05-03-2011, 06:05 AM
You may be the 1st person who i've heard liking the Jags draft, their fans certainly aren't happy about it

the natural
05-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Garrard is 33, and at his best, not one of the top 15 quarterbacks in the league. Sooner or later he will have to be replaced, and by doing it sooner the team accelerates it's timeline for breaking through to the next level. Gabbert was the best quarterback prospect out there this year, and it wasn't close. It might be years before the team is in a position again to acquire someone with his upside. Cheap at twice the price.

Roddoliver
05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Bad draft by the Jaguars. My friend is a fan of the team and he is hopeless. I can understand him. Jack Del Rio will probably lose his job after the season, and it's not his fault because he did not shop the groceries.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
This draft definitely put Jack Rio under the bus. Why bring Jack back if you aren't interesting in competing for the playoffs???
The GM made the decision to build for the future and I cannot criticize him one bit, he saw what he believed was a potential franchise QB and he went for it. The future of the franchise looks a lot brighter today just a tough spot for Rio.

GatorsBullsFan
05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I've never heard of a spread system holding back an elite QB prospect. Gabbert doesn't look that comfortable throwing the ball downfield more than 15 yards. It won't get any easier in the pros.

IMO he's as raw as any QB in this draft.

Dig the Jags draft any potential starters?? Not too excited about any of these picks, to be honest.

Rackley will most likely be the main guy in this draft to get bulk playing time then Cecil Shorts and Chris Prosinski both look to get much field time and Gene Smith and Jack Del Rio have said Rod Issac could come in and compete for the nickel corner spot right away

GatorsBullsFan
05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
This draft definitely put Jack Rio under the bus. Why bring Jack back if you aren't interesting in competing for the playoffs???
The GM made the decision to build for the future and I cannot criticize him one bit, he saw what he believed was a potential franchise QB and he went for it. The future of the franchise looks a lot brighter today just a tough spot for Rio.

Bad draft by the Jaguars. My friend is a fan of the team and he is hopeless. I can understand him. Jack Del Rio will probably lose his job after the season, and it's not his fault because he did not shop the groceries.

Ok seriously just because you don't know the guys we drafted don't be fooled...not many people knew who Terrence Knighton or Derek Cox were but they were 16 game starters there rookie season and looked damn good. Zach Miller was a QB at Nebraska Omaha and is now a very deadly offensive weapon that not much people know about to this day. A UDFA from last year Terrell Whitehead a Safety out of Norfolk State almost could of been a starter at FS for us last year until he got hurt he was looking very good. Deji Karim last year and Rashad Jennings the year before look to be very good late round picks that not much people knew about....just because D'Anthony Smith and Scotty McGee last year got hurt don't count them out yet.

People are going to soon see that Gene Smith does not draft for need and is a genius when it comes to these small school guys.

Plus you guys act like eventually there will not be a Free Agency...Looking at the guys in Free Agency there are some pretty young Free Agents at positions we need.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't care how good a drafter your GM is, he made a conscious decision to build for the future because he obviously doesn't believe Garrard is a true franchise QB. I agree with his assessment, hence I agree with taking Gabbert.
However for your HC, it is tough to take, He's under a lot of pressure to win now and could have used an impact player to accomplish his immediate goal.
Gabbert will ride the bench for a year unless Garrard gets hurt.

TitanHope
05-03-2011, 02:27 PM
i dont have any scientific reasoning behind this but Blaine gabbert looked kinda douchey on stage. was he trying not to cry? i don't have a good feeling about that pick.

Guys with long hair shouldn't wear ballcaps.

Especially tall, muscular, gorgeous ones like Gabbert.

Gunshinestate
05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
The Jags called up cornerback Ryan Hill out of Miami at the beginning of the
6th to let him know they were making an attempt to draft him. The Jags were trying to obtain one more pick from a another team but failed in the process. I assume they will go after him once the NFL is unlocked.

Im a huge fan of this kid. Hes only a 4.5 guy, but he is quick and insanely physical at the line of scrimmage. He weighed in at 203 at Pro day, but Minnesota weighed him in at 212 on his visit(wierd I know). He's very athletic. He was recruited as a corner but played WideOut for his frst 2 years(due to receiver depth issues), moved to safety when they didnt need him anymore his junior year. Finally moved back to corner where he was recruited, got hurt and sat out his senior year. Came back as a fifth year senior and took Demarcus Van Dykes(3rd round to Raiders) starting job and balled out. Finished with 51 Tackles, 8 PBUs, and 3 INTs on the year. So he has only played the cornerback position one year. Those stats show a lot of Upside. Sam Shields didnt even have those numbers after his one year at the position in Miami.

He played rather well in the Eastham Energy All-Star Game where he was responsible for the slot receiver the entire game. finished with 3 tackles and 1 pick in that game.

His experience at safety plus his ability to go inside and outside makes him a very valuable UFA being that the JAGS can get him on the cheap.

Oh and he played on Kickoff team his entire career at Miami opposite Sam Shields while also playing some gunner on Punt.

What I love most about this kid is that he has already obtained his Masters degree which tells me he's about business.

GatorsBullsFan
05-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't care how good a drafter your GM is, he made a conscious decision to build for the future because he obviously doesn't believe Garrard is a true franchise QB. I agree with his assessment, hence I agree with taking Gabbert.
However for your HC, it is tough to take, He's under a lot of pressure to win now and could have used an impact player to accomplish his immediate goal.
Gabbert will ride the bench for a year unless Garrard gets hurt.

We were 8-8 this year one more year of experience and a full season with Kampmann healthy we could easily be a 10 win team and who is to say the rookies we have wont be a crucial part of our team this year? What because you don't know them and there not from a big school? We will sign at least 2 FAs on defense this year that will help our team big time. Im thinking in the area of Barrett Ruud, Paul Posluszny, Charles Johnson, Ray Edwards, Stephen Tulloch, Mathias Kiwanuka, Manny Lawsen, Eric Weddle, Dashon Goldson, and Donte Whitner. There are plenty of defensive FAs and Jack and Gene have already said were going to be very aggressive when it comes to defense on free agency.

I really think that is one of the reason we drafted the way we did was because the free agent crop on defense is filled with good young talent.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Just a strange draft philosophy. If Gabbert does develop into a franchise QB great for them, it just won't be the current coaching staff reaping the benefits. Also I won't doubt Gene's Smith ability to evaluate small school kids and IMO Rackley and Shorts are steals, but I feel like he's passing up on some great players simply because he wants to make his sleeper picks.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 04:45 PM
We were 8-8 this year one more year of experience and a full season with Kampmann healthy we could easily be a 10 win team and who is to say the rookies we have wont be a crucial part of our team this year? What because you don't know them and there not from a big school? We will sign at least 2 FAs on defense this year that will help our team big time. Im thinking in the area of Barrett Ruud, Paul Posluszny, Charles Johnson, Ray Edwards, Stephen Tulloch, Mathias Kiwanuka, Manny Lawsen, Eric Weddle, Dashon Goldson, and Donte Whitner. There are plenty of defensive FAs and Jack and Gene have already said were going to be very aggressive when it comes to defense on free agency.

I really think that is one of the reason we drafted the way we did was because the free agent crop on defense is filled with good young talent.

Isn't that what Jacksonville says every year and then they fall short. Every team has wishful thinking and hopes for their draft and FA class but that doesn't make it so. You didn't have a franchise QB so your upside was very limited. That's why your GM took Gabbert to rectify that problem but I won't be looking for Jacksonville to make much of a playoff run this coming season.

the natural
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Guys with long hair shouldn't wear ballcaps.

Especially tall, muscular, gorgeous ones like Gabbert.

Somehow I don't think Gabbert wears a ballcap with a 3 piece suit on a daily basis. At least I hope not.

the natural
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Just a strange draft philosophy. If Gabbert does develop into a franchise QB great for them, it just won't be the current coaching staff reaping the benefits. Also I won't doubt Gene's Smith ability to evaluate small school kids and IMO Rackley and Shorts are steals, but I feel like he's passing up on some great players simply because he wants to make his sleeper picks.

It's not like Del Rio and Garrard haven't been given a fair chance. Jack is one of the longest tenured coaches in the league and Garrard has been the starting quarterback for five seasons I believe. Franchises don't aspire just to be competitive every year. Especially ones that are having trouble attracting fans.

Look at Carolina. Poor Jimmy Clausen gets thrown in the fire as a rookie on a very bad team and when he doesn't produce immediately he gets tossed aside. I think Garrard was a backup for about 5 years before he was given the starter job.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Offensively the Jags are a serious receiving threat away from having a top explosive offense, maybe they should have used their resources to try to trade up and land AJ Green or Julio Jones. Defensively they could have really elivated their team by adding an impact pass rusher, maybe taking Robert Quinn would have been smarter.

the natural
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Offensively the Jags are a serious receiving threat away from having a top explosive offense, maybe they should have used their resources to try to trade up and land AJ Green or Julio Jones. Defensively they could have really elivated their team by adding an impact pass rusher, maybe taking Robert Quinn would have been smarter.

There seem to be some pretty good recievers on the market. Holmes, Edwards, Jackson, Smith. I'm sure they can pick up on servicable vet without breaking the bank. It usually takes wideouts a few seasons to mature as well, so they probably get more out of a vet than one of the rookies.

Roddoliver
05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
The problem is: when David Garrard loses his job, who will play QB for the Jaguars? They are in trouble.

GatorsBullsFan
05-03-2011, 05:24 PM
The problem is: when David Garrard loses his job, who will play QB for the Jaguars? They are in trouble.

We did just draft Blaine Gabbert and we have Luke McCown and Trent Edwards to pick from

roscoesdad27
05-03-2011, 06:06 PM

That's not the problem, d.e. and l.b. is the problem. The free agency market is thin at d.e. thou and you guys need an impact player there. I love Gabbert, my only problem with the draft is not getting a d.e.. Every team I down grade for not taking a d.e. says they will get one in f.a. yet there are only a couple quality guys out there and no real impact guy. Still a decent draft, just not an A draft that was givin imho. Gabbert could be special and the 2 small school guys have potential. Still don't like them relying on f.a. for their #1 and 2 needs esp. with the lack of d.e.'s and high demand for them.

initial_flo
05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Tons of upside everywhere, but the Jags draft is soooo project laden.

I mean with every guy it's a dice roll/small school guy. This could very easily be one of the drafts where it's basically a throw away.

After Gabbert and one of those other guys, you have to get guys with some sort of track record at the highest level, right?

If feels like a fantasy draft where you end up with Ryan Matthews and Bernie Wells in the first 2 rounds thinking that they just have to blow up in 2010.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 11:42 PM
It all comes down to Gabbert. Jacksonville seems like a good opportunity for him. People like me who think he's a good prospect will have no excuses if he never develops into a quality starter. I'm not sure the value of every other one of their picks put together is as high as him.

the natural
05-04-2011, 12:53 AM
It all comes down to Gabbert. Jacksonville seems like a good opportunity for him. People like me who think he's a good prospect will have no excuses if he never develops into a quality starter. I'm not sure the value of every other one of their picks put together is as high as him.

I think there is a good chance that Gabbert can win the starting job outright as a rookie. If he gets a reasonable training camp. Gabbert has the quick release and arm strength of Aaron Rodgers, and he doesn't have Brett Favre in front of him. Titans may have thought Locker was more pro ready because he is a couple years older and started four years in college, but my money is on Gabbert to excel earliest, and longest.

DecisiveLeaf
05-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Gabbert is not natural playing QB. He doesn't have the instincts to play the position. But, his deep accuracy is not the problem, you play what you practice. Was he miscast? Sure, but that's not the problem either. He bails when he feels the slightest pressure. That's the problem. He threw 475 passes, but he only had 16 TDs. That's the problem. He is constantly throwing off his back foot, almost as if he's afraid to step into the throw. That's the problem. He looks like David Carr, after the 266 sacks. He looks like Trent Edwards behind that all-rookie line. He looks shell shocked, without having been shell shocked.

He fits the golden boy persona of the ideal NFL QB. The film screams mediocrity, but his 6'5" frame screams HOF. The media has bought into his hype, his glorified 5 star rating, and his long hair. Was he miscast? Yeah. He was miscast as a quarterback.

draftgod
05-04-2011, 03:04 AM
I like the Chris Prosinski pick. Taking an UDFA in the 4th round is ballsy.

batsandgats
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
how is going in the 4th round make him undrafted?

Do you somehow know more than NFL scouts?

Halsey
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Gabbert is not natural playing QB. He doesn't have the instincts to play the position. But, his deep accuracy is not the problem, you play what you practice. Was he miscast? Sure, but that's not the problem either. He bails when he feels the slightest pressure. That's the problem. He threw 475 passes, but he only had 16 TDs. That's the problem. He is constantly throwing off his back foot, almost as if he's afraid to step into the throw. That's the problem. He looks like David Carr, after the 266 sacks. He looks like Trent Edwards behind that all-rookie line. He looks shell shocked, without having been shell shocked.

He fits the golden boy persona of the ideal NFL QB. The film screams mediocrity, but his 6'5" frame screams HOF. The media has bought into his hype, his glorified 5 star rating, and his long hair. Was he miscast? Yeah. He was miscast as a quarterback.

Yeah, playing QB hasn't worked out for him at all. He was the 10th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft...lol

Roddoliver
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, playing QB hasn't worked out for him at all. He was the 10th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft...lol

At least he was not a top 3, top 5 pick as advertised by the media. Scouts and GMs know better. Chan Gailey did not want him. Bengals? Nope. Whisenhunt did not want him, same with Jim Harbaugh. Titans saw Locker as a better choice. Good move by them. Mike Shanahan allowed the Jaguars to take Gabbert. I still can't see how this guy is a franchise QB, and I'm glad several coaches and GMs think the same.

GatorsBullsFan
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
At least he was not a top 3, top 5 pick as advertised by the media. Scouts and GMs know better. Chan Gailey did not want him. Bengals? Nope. Whisenhunt did not want him, same with Jim Harbaugh. Titans saw Locker as a better choice. Good move by them. Mike Shanahan allowed the Jaguars to take Gabbert. I still can't see how this guy is a franchise QB, and I'm glad several coaches and GMs think the same.

You ever think that maybe Bengals, Bills, Titans, and Redskins thought they need a QB now and didn't think he was ready to start right now? I truthfully think with the Bills Chan Gailey straight out said I think we have a pretty good chance at getting Andrew Luck next year and thats probably the same with the Redskins. I mean its not promised that they will get Luck but look at the divisions that Redskins and Bills are in....does anyone seriously have either of these teams winning that much games next year and seriously you could see Redskins and Bills in the top 3 next year. Especially with the Bills...Why get your future QB killed out there by drafting him now and throwing him into a gauntlet of the defenses in that AFC East with no O-Line.

the natural
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Gabbert went pretty much exactly where he was rated to go on the big boards. All the other QBs were big reaches, but Gabbert went where he should have gone. If you averaged all the big board rankings inside and outside the league, Blaine would be at #10 overall, and the top quarterback. He will end up one of the youngest quarterbacks in the history of the league to start. Maybe only Matt Stafford would be younger on the day of his first start.

Halsey
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Yeah, because no successful QB has ever been passed on by other teams.

Roddoliver
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
You ever think that maybe Bengals, Bills, Titans, and Redskins thought they need a QB now and didn't think he was ready to start right now? I truthfully think with the Bills Chan Gailey straight out said I think we have a pretty good chance at getting Andrew Luck next year and thats probably the same with the Redskins.

I don't think such plan exists. "Hey, let's keep sucking and get Luck next year. I will not even watch tape to prepare the guys". Teams want to be competitive every season. If Gailey or Shanahan goes to 2012 with the 1st overall pick, they might lose the job. If Gabbert was a franchise QB in their eyes, they would have drafted him. You never known when you'll get another chance.

Yeah, because no successful QB has ever been passed on by other teams.

That's the exciting part. We'll see. Gabbert could become Aaron Rodgers, or Brady Quinn. With the way he plays, I think Brady Quinn.

GatorsBullsFan
05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think such plan exists. "Hey, let's keep sucking and get Luck next year. I will not even watch tape to prepare the guys". Teams want to be competitive every season. If Gailey or Shanahan goes to 2012 with the 1st overall pick, they might lose the job. If Gabbert was a franchise QB in their eyes, they would have drafted him. You never known when you'll get another chance.

That's the exciting part. We'll see. Gabbert could become Aaron Rodgers, or Brady Quinn. With the way he plays, I think Brady Quinn.

Its not the fact that they say "Lets keep sucking and get Luck next year" Its the point of being a realistic person and knowing that maybe your team isn't talented enough...Shanahan isn't going to get fired, Chan Gailey I'm not sure because the Bills owners seem to have unrealistic expectations and they have went through a lot of coaches because of it. But I think the Bills Owners should know that they have a great coach that knows QBs and obviously if he didn't take Gabbert maybe he thinks more of Ryan Fitzpatrick than a lot of people think.

Roddoliver
05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Despite my belief that Blaine Gabbert is crap, I must admit the Jaguars might have hit the bullseye with Chris Prosinski. He is very athletic compared to the other safeties and the guy can hit. Good ball skills also. Tackling machine and hard hitter coming from the same conference that produced Eric Weddle. I'm not sure if I'd rather have Rahim Moore over Chris Prosinski.

the natural
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Despite my belief that Blaine Gabbert is crap, I must admit the Jaguars might have hit the bullseye with Chris Prosinski. He is very athletic compared to the other safeties and the guy can hit. Good ball skills also. Tackling machine and hard hitter coming from the same conference that produced Eric Weddle. I'm not sure if I'd rather have Rahim Moore over Chris Prosinski.

Moore is a pansy. What was with the emo breakdowns he and Miller had at the draft? If I was a Bronco's fan I'd be cringing to think those two are supposed to be striking fear in the opposition. I thought I was watching Oprah.

Roddoliver
05-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Moore is a pansy. What was with the emo breakdowns he and Miller had at the draft? If I was a Bronco's fan I'd be cringing to think those two are supposed to be striking fear in the opposition. I thought I was watching Oprah.

The Draft is a unique experience for them, no problems with that. And I would not consider Blaine Gabbert the best example of manhood. Just saying. I imagine Gabbert watches Oprah, just like you.

the natural
05-05-2011, 09:59 PM
The Draft is a unique experience for them, no problems with that. And I would not consider Blaine Gabbert the best example of manhood. Just saying. I imagine Gabbert watches Oprah, just like you.

Right Roddo. Watching Gabbert blubbering into his Momma's shoulder for 10 minutes was awful wasn't it?