PDA

View Full Version : Browns Call the Wrong Prospect...

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Plenty people have made the mistake, but from Peter King's column:

"When Cal defensive end Cameron Jordan was taking a tour through his new business home -- the New Orleans Saints practice facility in Metairie, La. -- on Saturday, his cell phone rang.

"Hi,'' said the voice on the other end. "Jordan? This is the Cleveland Browns.

We're getting ready to pick you ... ''

"Uh, yeah, this is Cameron Jordan,'' he said. "The Saints already picked me.''

There was an awkward pause, and Cameron Jordan said: "I think you mean Jordan Cameron, you're looking for Jordan Cameron. That's not me.''

Cameron Jordan, the 24th pick in the draft, then hung up the phone. And the Cleveland Browns, presumably, found the number for USC tight end Jordan Cameron, phoned him, and made him the 102nd pick in the draft."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/01/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LCLM7x72

bam bam
05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
sounds about right

wicket
05-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I was rooting for the saints to draft jordan cameron, the confusion would be delightful

CJSchneider
05-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I was rooting for the saints to draft jordan cameron, the confusion would be delightful

That would have been awesome.

bitonti
05-02-2011, 11:35 AM
the Browns had a very good day 2 and day 3 but their trading around routine for Phil Taylor was an embarrassment. He would have made it to 27. I've got Browns fans tweeting me that he's gonna be a 3-tech? GL with that.

thebow305
05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
This is hilarious!

Brown Leader
05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
the Browns had a very good day 2 and day 3 but their trading around routine for Phil Taylor was an embarrassment. He would have made it to 27. I've got Browns fans tweeting me that he's gonna be a 3-tech? GL with that.

Embarrassment? I'd say well played by Pioli and KC if they truly were not going to take Taylor. That may be the short end but the return out of the trade definitely outweighs it. 3tech? No. I see it more as LDT, RDT-two gap run pluggers, something like Keith Traylor and T.Washington, Jauron's DTs in Chicago. If anything Taylor would be more of a nose since Rubin is adept at ranging and tackling.

prock
05-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Plenty people have made the mistake, but from Peter King's column:

"When Cal defensive end Cameron Jordan was taking a tour through his new business home -- the New Orleans Saints practice facility in Metairie, La. -- on Saturday, his cell phone rang.

"Hi,'' said the voice on the other end. "Jordan? This is the Cleveland Browns.

We're getting ready to pick you ... ''

"Uh, yeah, this is Cameron Jordan,'' he said. "The Saints already picked me.''

There was an awkward pause, and Cameron Jordan said: "I think you mean Jordan Cameron, you're looking for Jordan Cameron. That's not me.''

Cameron Jordan, the 24th pick in the draft, then hung up the phone. And the Cleveland Browns, presumably, found the number for USC tight end Jordan Cameron, phoned him, and made him the 102nd pick in the draft."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/01/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LCLM7x72

During the draft, me and my friends were talking about how funny it would be if a team intentionally called the wrong player and just talked to them for a minute or two asking questions like "how would you like to be a Cleveland Brown?" or "are you excited to play in the NFL?" and then conclude with a big "you got punked *****!"

How funny and cruel would that be? I love it.

niel89
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm just glad they called Cam Jordan late in the draft rather than calling Jordan Cameron early on. How crappy would that be if the Saints called you during the first round, you get all excited and they just say 'oops wrong number.'

fear the elf
05-02-2011, 02:36 PM

I think "embarrassment" is a little strong. Maybe it wasn't necessary, but then again, maybe it was. I've heard they were afraid he might be taken by Philly or Baltimore (before the whole trade mishap) before their pick at 27.

Not sure what the end plan is for Taylor, but I'd tend to agree with Brown Leader's thoughts, with Taylor lining up next to Rubin, ideally both requiring a double team.

bitonti
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
double teams are reserved for players that can make an impact. Neither Tuba nor Phil taylor can rush the passer.

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 02:48 PM
double teams are reserved for players that can make an impact. Neither Tuba nor Phil taylor can rush the passer.

On the other hand, having two stout mammoth tackles does allow you to split your ends out significantly wider than you could otherwise to make up for the loss of interior pass rush. This was the basis of the defense that Jimmy Johnson won superbowls with in Dallas, and Jim Bates had some success with.

It may be an outdated idea, but it is an idea that has been successful in the past.

fear the elf
05-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Your analysis is Earth-shaking. Not many teams (if any) are going to be able to block two 335+ pound guys one-on-one with their OL, whether they are considered exceptional pass rushers or not.

JoeJoeBrown
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Your analysis is Earth-shaking. Not many teams (if any) are going to be able to block two 335+ pound guys one-on-one with their OL, whether they are considered exceptional pass rushers or not.

bitonti is actually Bill Parcels. In his own mind, that is.

descendency
05-02-2011, 04:27 PM

It'd be even better to see him play LB. Then you could have Cameron and Jordan on the field or Jordan and Cameron. :D

JoeJoeBrown
05-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Yeah, the only real question is conditioning of those two fat guys. They are definitely going to need to rotate out frequently.

I'm hoping that the Browns have an above average D this upcoming season. It is definitely possible.

If they can add a free agent WR and a lineman or two, I'll be happy. Oh, and Dane Sanzenbacher, please.

bitonti
05-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Phil taylor was able to be blocked 1 on 1 at the Senior Bowl. being big does not mean they will have to double. a guard or center with Good technique can block Phil Taylor. Doubles are reserved for guys the OC has to scheme against.

fear the elf
05-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Phil taylor was able to be blocked 1 on 1 at the Senior Bowl. being big does not mean they will have to double. a guard or center with Good technique can block Phil Taylor. Doubles are reserved for guys the OC has to scheme against.

You are right, Phil Taylor was never able to beat a one-on-one match up at the Senior Bowl and he has no potential to improve in the NFL. He's forever destined to be an easily blocked 335+ pound DT with poor technique.

Or maybe he's a pretty talented DT who already plays the run exceptionally well and has rare size that can allow him to get decent push of the pocket with a little coaching. We shall see, but for now, I still hold that the pick is far from an "embarrassment."

fear the elf
05-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the only real question is conditioning of those two fat guys. They are definitely going to need to rotate out frequently.

I'm hoping that the Browns have an above average D this upcoming season. It is definitely possible.

If they can add a free agent WR and a lineman or two, I'll be happy. Oh, and Dane Sanzenbacher, please.

JoeJoe, I actually heard during Heckert's Day 1 press conference that Taylor rotated very rarely. He made it sound like he was playing nearly every snap most games, and although tired, continued to play extremely hard.

Here's a link to the video. Talks about conditioning at about 8:55.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Tom-Heckert-and-Pat-Shurmur-Press-Conference/21b5e478-3468-44bd-9930-81a8ee97b7b4

bitonti
05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
You are right, Phil Taylor was never able to beat a one-on-one match up at the Senior Bowl and he has no potential to improve in the NFL. He's forever destined to be an easily blocked 335+ pound DT with poor technique.

Or maybe he's a pretty talented DT who already plays the run exceptionally well and has rare size that can allow him to get decent push of the pocket with a little coaching. We shall see, but for now, I still hold that the pick is far from an "embarrassment."

the pick wasn't an embarassment, the trading up seemed uncessary. that part i felt was embarassing. they were over compensating for not taking a stud at 6.

and I never said Phil taylor was a bad player. You are right he will play the run. but He gets no pass rush. and double teams seem unlikely. I'd be surprised if he's on the field 3rd and long.

Head coaches don't ask general managers for 340 pound DT to help their pass rush.

keylime_5
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM
they are following a certain mold for their defensive line where they want huge nose guards playing in the middle and smaller, speed rushers at DE. I think Tom Heckert was quoted as saying 250 lb. guys, tops, rushing the passer on the outside. I think that's why they are so excited about Jabaal Sheard - a guy they were terribly worried would get taken before pick 37 before lucking out.

The thing about Taylor isn't just his size and athleticism for being so big, but the fact that he improved so much between his junior and senior years after losing a lot of weight, and he has shown the desire to continue improving and managing his weight during the offseason. I think that's a big reason why he was so high on their draft board.

Brown Leader
05-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Head coaches don't ask general managers for 340 pound DT to help their pass rush.

I agree he may not need to be double teamed but what I said is that both he and Rubin will be two gap run pluggers. One all star game obviously doesn't dictate what he'll be able to do in the pros but he did push the pocket while he was in there. In one instance, he bullied and rag dolled Schilling then hurried and hit CK. The play prompted Mayock to talk about the push n pull technique he used and how rare his movement skills are for a guy his size. The thing about him is he moves like a smaller player, much quicker and rangier than a typical 335 lb nose. Depending on how much pressure the entire line generates, he will show up as a pass rusher.