PDA

View Full Version : UFL Aggressively Trying to Poach UDFA's

Splat
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/02/ufl-aggressively-trying-to-poach-undrafted-rookie-free-agents/

The owners’ transactions freeze prevents (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/30/as-long-as-lockout-lasts-undrafted-players-cant-sign/) undrafted rookie free agents from signing with NFL clubs. And, as promised (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/24/glanville-ufl-plans-to-aggresively-court-undrafted-free-agents/) by Hartford Colonials coach Jerry Glanville on PFT Live just over a month ago, the lower-level football league is already in the process of poaching undrafteds.

Albert Breer of NFL Network reports that the United Football League has moved up its draft and 2011 season (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f9d77e/article/prospects-such-as-burney-and-herzlich-must-make-decision), at least in part because it intends to aggressively pursue UDFAs.

The UFL draft is taking place today.

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2011, 08:56 AM
If the lockout keeps going, they should try to poach drafted players too. If they have the money, this is the time to make a big move for the UFL.

Matthew Jones
05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
If the lockout keeps going, they should try to poach drafted players too. If they have the money, this is the time to make a big move for the UFL.

Trust me, they don't have the money. The UFL is as cheap as it gets. I won tickets to a Colonials game this year, and while warming up a kicker shanked a ball into the stands, where a little boy caught it. Someone made the boy give the ball back because they couldn't afford to spend that much money.

SolidGold
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
It should be interesting to see how this develops. I have a feeling just the UDFAs will be targeted, there is still a really good pool of talent out there for the UFL to choose from.

I hope they lift the lockout in court today, so we can see these UDFAs get signed by NFL teams and also maybe see some trades take place.

wicket
05-02-2011, 09:01 AM

I was going to say this. I dont think they will be able to flip the biggest highest drafted names but if there will be a run to the UFL by the mid and low round guys to the UFL this might force both the players association and the owners to start talking again.

If i were the UFL id focus on players who were really well known based on their college careers. Tyrod Taylor and Greg McElroy come to mind

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, I'll be covering the UFL Draft on Twitter tonight. www.twitter.com/ShanePHallam

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 11:27 AM

I think that the UFL needs to tread carefully though. They can't make themselves perceived as a threat by the NFL, because even though the NFL doesn't have an antitrust exemption to grind competitors into the dust like MLB does, the NFL can legally make things very tough for the UFL if the UFL steps out of line.

It's much safer to only bother with available undrafted players (and there will be a fine crop of them this year, since everybody undrafted is available). If this really drags, and a player requests a UFL contract then they could do it, but I would be wary of reaching out to draft picks.

vidae
05-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Trust me, they don't have the money. The UFL is as cheap as it gets. I won tickets to a Colonials game this year, and while warming up a kicker shanked a ball into the stands, where a little boy caught it. Someone made the boy give the ball back because they couldn't afford to spend that much money.

I've seen that happen at pro stadiums too, so.

niel89
05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Its a good move. UFL can promise them money, games will happen for sure, and a chance to showcase themselves in games. You can either wait to maybe become a practice squad player, or go try to play in some games and show what you can do. Its not like they can go sign with NFL teams after the UFL season is over/next year.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
With all due respect to the UFL and any of it's fans, if the NFL loses out on even one good player because of this/alter the development path of one...it's kind of sad. You never know how one wrong move or different one might change a guy like James Harrison's career path.

Monomach
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I think that the UFL needs to tread carefully though. They can't make themselves perceived as a threat by the NFL, because even though the NFL doesn't have an antitrust exemption to grind competitors into the dust like MLB does, the NFL can legally make things very tough for the UFL if the UFL steps out of line.

It's much safer to only bother with available undrafted players (and there will be a fine crop of them this year, since everybody undrafted is available). If this really drags, and a player requests a UFL contract then they could do it, but I would be wary of reaching out to draft picks.

The UFL could sign every player drafted by the NFL and the law would be on its side 100%. Drafted players' rights are only restricted between NFL clubs, not between leagues.

See: USFL, AFL, AAFC.

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 02:52 PM
The UFL could sign every player drafted by the NFL and the law would be on its side 100%. Drafted players' rights are only restricted between NFL clubs, not between leagues.

See: USFL, AFL, AAFC.

The law would be on their side, absolutely. But the NFL could easily do any other number of legal things to make life very difficult for the UFL. The UFL is pretty much only allowed to exist by the NFL because the UFL has not positioned it as a threat to the NFL, and in fact the UFL has positioned itself as an aid to the UFL (basically as a minor league for players who lack college eligibility). If they start being perceived as a threat or competitor to the NFL, the way the NFL reacts to the UFL (currently "benign neglect") will change dramatically. A football league that nobody watches can't really afford to attract the ire of the football league that everybody watches.

Monomach
05-02-2011, 04:29 PM
The law would be on their side, absolutely. But the NFL could easily do any other number of legal things to make life very difficult for the UFL. The UFL is pretty much only allowed to exist by the NFL because the UFL has not positioned it as a threat to the NFL, and in fact the UFL has positioned itself as an aid to the UFL (basically as a minor league for players who lack college eligibility). If they start being perceived as a threat or competitor to the NFL, the way the NFL reacts to the UFL (currently "benign neglect") will change dramatically. A football league that nobody watches can't really afford to attract the ire of the football league that everybody watches.

Such as???

JoeJoeBrown
05-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Such as???

Vague nonesuch and assorted hullabaloo.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-02-2011, 04:59 PM
With all due respect to the UFL and any of it's fans, if the NFL loses out on even one good player because of this/alter the development path of one...it's kind of sad. You never know how one wrong move or different one might change a guy like James Harrison's career path.

I don't see how the UFL can hurt anyone. The XFL revived Tommy Maddox's career and brought us He Hate Me. Even though it's competition I don't see it being really any different than NFL Europe. No self-respecting player is going to choose the UFL over the NFL after they've proven theyre good enough for the league

The only concern is injury but that's a reality of the sport

Anyway, I think the UFL would do well to push up their season. I don't know when it's supposed to start since I didn't pay attention to it at all last year but if I were running that league I'd have games starting in a month or so to pile the pressure on the NFL

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Such as???

Pressure sponsors and TV Networks. The UFL is hurting for money, badly (they recently asked the NFL to buy 30% of their league), anything the NFL can do in order to legally deny the UFL money would basically put the UFL out of business.

The UFL is likely to go away on its own (the product is lousy, and none of the owners have money), their only hope for long term survival is buddying up with the NFL (and getting the NFL to write them some checks) not going against it.

Anybody looking to find other football employment after the draft would honestly be better suited to see if they can get a job in the CFL. The quality of competition is much better and the league isn't likely to fold any time soon.

Hines
05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Jerrod Johnson QB and Ugo Chinasa DE have been selected so far regarding UDFA.

abaddon41_80
05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Shame how things worked out for Johnson. A lot here, myself included, thought highly of him as an NFL prospect at one point.

ChiefMojo
05-02-2011, 07:47 PM
What time is the the UFL Draft Shane?

descendency
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
If the UFL has any clout anywhere, they should borrow every penny they can and push all their chips in.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Jerrod Johnson went #1 overall. UFL's version of Cam Newton.

descendency
05-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I wonder if Mark Herzlich goes undrafted twice.

dannyz
05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Cam Newton's Brother got Selected.

Hines
05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm going to keep track of all the UDFAs who get drafted and post them in this thread.

descendency
05-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Yes or No: did he he get paid at Auburn too?

descendency
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM

So did Adrian Peterson.

ChiefMojo
05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Here is another link to the UFL Draft... http://www.ufl-football.com/news/2011-ufl-draft

M.O.T.H.
05-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I wouldnt have minded Dallas bringing in Jerrod Johnson. Even though, his mechanics looked like complete **** at the combine. He had a wacky delivery before, but training for the combine, things got even wackier. He's got tools, but accuracy has always been a problem, despite his delivery and mechanics. I still always liked him better than Stephen Mcgee, though. :/

niel89
05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Live picks as the happen.

http://twitter.com/#!/theUFL

phlysac
05-02-2011, 08:25 PM
It seems pretty apparent that the UFL already has a good idea of what available players have already been "offered" NFL contracts. Way too many high ranking UDFA's not being selected for that not to be the case.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
It seems pretty apparent that the UFL already has a good idea of what available players have already been "offered" NFL contracts. Way too many high ranking UDFA's not being selected for that not to be the case.

I think we're going to see some funny stuff here like that, yeah.

niel89
05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Im sure they contacted the guys before they draft them. I bet some players just said that they don't have an interest in playing in the UFL. No reason to waste a pick.

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 08:40 PM

I think UFL general managers, being acutely aware of the business side of things, are only willing to spend UFL draft picks on guys they actually think they can convince to play in the UFL. It's the same way that NFL GMs don't draft two-sport guys who indicate that they'd like to do something other than football.

A draft pick spent on a guy who responds "I'd prefer not" is a wasted draft pick, no matter what sport or what league, and draft picks are a limited resource, no matter what sport or what league.

Im sure they contacted the guys before they draft them. I bet some players just said that they don't have an interest in playing in the UFL. No reason to waste a pick.

Yeah, I bet that at least before they pick someone they call them up and say "Hey, want to be a Las Vegas Loco?" and the answer to that question is not as readily affirmative as the answer to "Hey, you want to be a Dallas Cowboy?" There may be some cajoling.

phlysac
05-02-2011, 09:08 PM
WOW! Derrick Locke and Mario Fannin just got nabbed in the 9th round.

ChiefMojo
05-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Probably a case now of kids getting drafted that the UFL teams believe will likely try their hand with a NFL roster first... so they are taking a gamble late.

phlysac
05-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Herzlich!!!!!!!!!!

niel89
05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh snap yo! At least someone wants him.

Air Maehl just went too.

Interesting... I wonder if these guys said that they would play in the UFL prior to the draft or if these teams are just taking a flyer on them.

Hines
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
This is the list I got with the UDFAs:

Jerrod Johnson QB Texas A&M
Ricky Henry OG Nebraska
Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma St
Brad Thorson C/G Kansas
Phillip Tanner RB Middle Tennessee St
Mike Smith OT Nebraska
Jamel Hamler WR Fresno State
Ryan Colburn QB Fresno State
Kyle Nelson FB/TE New Mexico State
Greg Smith TE Texas
Colby Whitlock DT Texas Tech
Jeremiah Masoli QB Ole Miss
Jeff Mahl WR Oregon
Mark Herzlich LB Boston College
Mana Silva S Hawaii
Mario Fannin RB Auburn
Josh Gatlin CB North Dakota St
Derrick Locke RB Kentucky

Scotty D
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Jeff Maehl is Mr. Irrelevant.

phlysac
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Hartford Colonials - Head Coach - Jerry Glanville
Omaha Nighthawks - Head Coach -Joe Moglia
Sacramento Mountain Lions - Head Coach - Dennis Green
Virginia Destroyers - Head Coach - Mart Schottenheimer
Las Vegas Locos - Head Coach - Jim Fassell

1(1) Hartford Colonials - Jerrod Johnson - QB - Texas A&M
1(2) Omaha Nighthawks - Reynaldo Hill - CB - Florida
1(3) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Ryan Colburn - QB - Fresno State
1(4) Virginia Destroyers - Martail Burnett - DE Utah
1(5) Las Vegas Locos - Joel Bell - OT - Furman

2(6) Hartford Colonials - Kurt Quarterman - OG - Louisville
2(7) Omaha Nighthawks - Jamie Cumbie - DE - Clemson
2(8) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Ugo Chinasa - DE - Oklahoma State
2(9) Virginia Destroyers - Ryan Sims - DT - North Carolina
2(10) Las Vegas Locos - Lawrence Wilson - DE - Ohio State

3(11) Hartford Colonials - Cecil Newton - C - Tennessee State
3(12) Omaha Nighthawks - Joe Toledo - OT - Washington
3(13) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Derrick Roberson - CB - Rutgers
3(14) Virginia Destroyers - Adrian Peterson - RB - Georgia Southern
3(15) Las Vegas Locos - Eric Peterman - WR - Northwestern

4(16) Hartford Colonials - Ricky Henry - OG - Nebraska
4(17) Omaha Nighthawks - Chris Smith - CB - Northern Illinois
4(18) Sacramento Moutain Lions - Roberto Davis - DE - Northwest Missouri State
4(19) Virginia Destroyers - Aundrae Allison - WR - East Carolina
4(20) Hartford Colonials - Brad Thorson - OL - Kansas
4(21) Virginia Destroyers - Clint Ingram - RB - Oklahoma

5(22) Hartford Colonials - Phillip Tanner - - RB - Middle Tennessee State
5(23) Omaha Nighthawks - Mike Smith - OT - Nebraska
5(24) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Spencer Paysinger - LB - Oregon
5(25) Virginia Destroyers - Trevor Anderson - DT - Albany
5(26) Las Vegas Locos - Kennedy Tinsley - FB - North Carolina

6(27) Hartford Colonials - Ervin Baldwin - DE - Michigan State
6(28) Omaha Nighthawks - D.J. Jones - OT - Nebraska
6(29) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Jamel Hamler - WR - Fresno State
6(30) Virginia Destroyers - Ian Scott - DT - Florida
6(31) Las Vegas Locos - Mike Teel - QB - Rutgers

7(32) Hartford Colonials - Greg Smith - TE - Texas
7(33) Omaha Nighthawks - Kyle Nelson - TE - New Mexico State
7(34) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Kainoa La Count - OT - Hawaii
7(35) Virginia Destroyers - Joe Monteverde - TE - Richmond
7(36) Las Vegas Locos - Dave Philistin - LB - Maryland

8(37) Hartford Colonials - Colby Whitlock - DT - Texas Tech
8(38) Omaha Nighthawks - Jeremiah Masoli - QB - Mississippi
8(39) Omaha Nighthawks - Brian Johnston - DE - Gardner Webb
8(40) Virginia Destroyers - Wynel Seldon - RB - Wyoming
8(41) Las Vegas Locos - Cameron Colvin - WR - Oregon

9(42) Hartford Colonials - Johnathan Lewis - DT - Virginia Tech
9(43) Omaha Nighthawks - Derrick Locke - RB - Kentucky
9(44) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Josh Gatlin - CB - North Dakota State
9(45) Virginia Destroyers - Derek Devine - QB - Marshall
9(46) Las Vegas Locos - Mario Fannin - RB - Auburn

10(47) Hartford Colonials - Keith Grennan - DE - Eastern Washington
10(48) Omaha Nighthawks - Akim Hicks - DT - Regina
10(49) Sacramento Mountain Lions - Keanemana Silva - S - Hawaii
10(50) Virginia Destroyers - David Pittman - CB - Northwestern State
10(51) Omaha Nighthawks - Mark Herzlich - LB - Boston College
10(52) Virginia Destroyers - Jeff Maehl - WR - Oregon

J-Mike88
05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
OT Mike Smith was a guy I thought the Packers would take late.
Noel Devine wasn't good enough to get drafted by either league?

phlysac
05-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Noel Devine wasn't good enough to get drafted by either league?

One of many players that likely turned down the opportunity in hopes they will be UDFA signings in the NFL.

dannyz
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Omaha got some good players, I know guys like Mark Herzlich probably won't play for us but if most of them do we should be pretty good.

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Jerrod Johnson must have said he would play to be the first overall though.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah, a lot of that looks to have something to do with perceived signability.

descendency
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM

Might as well, because he has zero NFL future.

Pat Devlin either said he wouldn't sign or even the UFL doesn't want him.

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM

From his twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/jerrodjohnson1):

@JerrodJohnson1 :
@Dgorrer29 mann with all the lockout stuff I think ima go ufl and do that until october then try to get on that way

Halsey
05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Why is it "poaching" for the UFL to pursue players. They have just as much right to offer players a job as the NFL does.

Gunshinestate
05-03-2011, 02:57 PM
$80,000 + on an NFL practice squad vs $50,000 in the UFL

Read that and Agent is pitching this line to his clients.

Something to think about.

niel89
05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I'll pitch that.

If you go UFL, you will have more job safety and don't have to fear getting waved every few days/weeks. Also you have the chance to show every NFL team what you can do in a real game situation instead of just showing yourself to one team/opportunity. In addition, the UFL season is considerably shorter and at the end of the season you still can have a chance to go hook up with one NFL teams and recoup some of the money difference.

I know it is a crappy league but there are some possible advantages for some of these guys, especially with the uncertainty of the lockout.

underscore
05-03-2011, 05:57 PM
who's talking about 'rights'? no one cares what they have the right to do. THEY care about staying in the nfl's good graces and not pissing off a league that could literally crush them anytime it wanted to. it's called 'smart business'.

If the NFL had wanted these guys, the NFL would have drafted/signed them.

Scotty D
05-03-2011, 06:03 PM
who's talking about 'rights'? no one cares what they have the right to do. THEY care about staying in the nfl's good graces and not pissing off a league that could literally crush them anytime it wanted to. it's called 'smart business'.

I know the Vikes signed Lorenzo Booker from the UFL last season. I think there were a couple other guys that made the jump. The lockout has changed the atmosphere surrounding the situation but if they play well in the UFL I don't see teams holding a grudge. They are going to get the talent.

PossibleCabbage
05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I know the Vikes signed Lorenzo Booker from the UFL last season. I think there were a couple other guys that made the jump. The lockout has changed the atmosphere surrounding the situation but if they play well in the UFL I don't see teams holding a grudge. They are going to get the talent.

The UFL is fully justified in pursuing any player who is not under an NFL team's contract or was just drafted/tendered by an NFL team. By pursuing players who were just drafted, but can't play due to the lockout the UFL risks attracting the NFL's ire since NFL teams want those players to be available as soon as training camp begins. Waiting until midseason is different when you're talking about rookies.

The UFL has to tread carefully since the NFL could destroy it completely if it really wanted to.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, the UFL has to be very careful with it's business model. They don't want to compete with the NFL in any way. There's still money to be made from that. Minor league baseball is a very fun way to spend an evening and in the end turns out a profit from what I gather. Think they're going more for that.

RealityCheck
05-03-2011, 06:47 PM
They are doing the right thing. The UFL would have been in a great path if they kept the Florida franchise alive.