PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Prince's Slight Slide?

gutman54
05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
According to this report, it was because of his Nigerian decent. If this is true..wow.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/nfl-teams-wariness-of-nigerian-players-to-blame-for-amukamaras-slide/

tjsunstein
05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Andy Dalton could have slid because of his hair color. Scouts evaluate everything, whether it's right or wrong. They have an ongoing tab of crazy, unorthodox stats providing success rates of these prototypes. Some are more successful than others for whatever reason. Personally, I believe players should be evaluated on an individual level rather than being grouped together with players of different calibers. It's no different than players sliding because of system, it's about success rate no matter how you cut it. I don't agree with the ideology.

gutman54
05-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Oh I am with you tjsustein, I kinda figured it happened, but with people straight up saying it. In the article one "NFL person"(don't know if this means the janitor, or the GM) said that they were too soft and too educated. Being that open about it, even though he didn't give a name or anything, just the vague "NFL person", was kind of shocking to me.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Wow..

Well I figured we drafted him because we like to screw with people by having them say the last names of our players...

Umenyiora DE

Kiwanuka DE

Amukamara CB

Okpokowuruk DE

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Knocking a guy because he's of Nigerian descent? It would make more sense to downgrade Prince because of that awful 2007 "Planet Earth" album.

roscoesdad27
05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
He slid because he doesn't have good hands, an incredible cover/swat guy thou but teams are looking for that intercepting game changer.

TB_39
05-02-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't understand why they quote "too educated" as a detriment.

thebow305
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
He slid because he's just simply not that good. I've never been a big fan of his and thought it was borderline insanity when Scott had him ranked over Peterson at one point. The guy is a product of Pelini's system and the great line play at Nebraska. He was a decent value for the Giants at 19, but I certainly would'nt say he was a steal, because that's right about the spot he should have been taken. All that early Top 10 talk was nonsense. And you see how that played out on Thursday.

niel89
05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
He is just a Prince who is Nigerian and is soon to come into a large sum of money from the League of Football National. He just wants a small temporary amount of money until the lockout is over after which you will be rewarded handsomely.

Honestly I don't think that him being Nigerian was the cause of his slide. Some teams probably just didn't like him as a football player, and compound that with all the QBs that went early and its not too crazy to see him fall to where he did.

FordFairlane
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I think it's the fact he grabs and pulls on jerseys 10 yards down the field. If someone doesn't coach that out of him he'll be flagged 10 times a game like Batman Carroll.

Ozzy
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Ok forget what all of the talk is, that is just a story. Most likely it was because of his lack of production in pass coverage and his inability to make plays on the football and get interceptions. And yes, he did not play as well this past year as he did two years ago, so he slid a little. Still does not make him a great prospect and a big time tough corner.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Run the QBs pushed good players back. That was what our front office was hoping for. And it worked out. This is from Coughlin himself who was on the WFAN in NY today.

phlysac
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
What is the precedent? Who are the "soft" and "too educated" "white and black" Nigerian players that have had limited success in the NFL?

I don't buy any bit of the assertion.

Rabscuttle
05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I wonder if Justin Blackmon got an extra inbox full of spam.

FUNBUNCHER
05-02-2011, 05:24 PM
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Christian Okoye, Brian Orakpo, Osi Umenyiora,OJ Atogwe and Nnamdi Asomugha are 'soft' players???

Giantsfan1080
05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sure the scouts who believe this, are the ones from teams who are consistently picking at the top of the draft.

Heisman
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
He slid because he's just simply not that good. I've never been a big fan of his and thought it was borderline insanity when Scott had him ranked over Peterson at one point. The guy is a product of Pelini's system and the great line play at Nebraska. He was a decent value for the Giants at 19, but I certainly would'nt say he was a steal, because that's right about the spot he should have been taken. All that early Top 10 talk was nonsense. And you see how that played out on Thursday.

Mind=Read

IMO Prince has always been a bit overrated, he allowed a few too many completions for too many yards for my taste. He's a mid-to-late 1st round corner probably but him going 7 or whatever was just never going to happen.

gutman54
05-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Now, I'm not a big draft knowledge guy, I posted this because I saw it somewhere, and thought it'd make for good discussion, and still think he's pretty shut down. Sure Justin Blackmon got some yards against him, however, one was on a flea flicker. Not sure if that really is still acceptable, but maybe understandable. However, he was very shut down most of the year, and was good enough that teams wouldn't throw the ball to his side of the field.

For those who claim he is just a product of Pelini's system, well true, he played their, but aren't most pro D.C's as good of a schemer as Pelini is? And he will be playing with a great line up in New York, so my thoughts are that his style will fit in well with this team, and he still has an upside and can grow into a bigger role.

Just my two cents, and as I said earlier, I'm not a big knowledge guy on the draft, just posting some thoughts about it.

nepg
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Prince slid because teams didn't think he was all that good. Pretty simple. He did give up a lot of plays and was a bit of a gamble for a team drafting in the Top 15.

Honestly, the Giants made a mistake by saving him when they could have drafted any of Castonzo, Carimi, and Sherrod. They should have let that one go and get the a guy they should have had targetted.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM
He actually recovered fairly well on that flea flicker despite being so badly out of position. He did not play as poorly as the box score indicated in that one, although Blackmon did work him a little bit.

SRK85
05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
I guess most teams were afraid of being spammed by him. Horrible joke on those spam emails about some prince from Nigeria claiming he can give you money.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 12:11 AM
I guess most teams were afraid of being spammed by him. Horrible joke on those spam emails about some prince from Nigeria claiming he can give you money.

I was on board before you explained it. A good comedian doesn't comment on his punchline directly afterwards ;)

NY+Giants=NYG
05-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Prince slid because teams didn't think he was all that good. Pretty simple. He did give up a lot of plays and was a bit of a gamble for a team drafting in the Top 15.

Honestly, the Giants made a mistake by saving him when they could have drafted any of Castonzo, Carimi, and Sherrod. They should have let that one go and get the a guy they should have had targetted.

We draft BPA not need.. Doesn't matter if there are 1000 OTs on the board. If they are not BPA, then it doesn't matter.

Our GM, former Director of College Scouting, isn't going to bypass the intergrity of the board, just to fill a need. If that's the rationale then we should have drafted Spoon last year instead of JPP. However, JPP was BPA and rated much higher.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow..

Well I figured we drafted him because we like to screw with people by having them say the last names of our players...

Umenyiora DE

Kiwanuka DE

Amukamara CB

Okpokowuruk DE

Very funny!!!

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I have been saying for sometime that the Prince's workout at the Combine wasn't as good as people were saying. Deion Sanders watched him do his drills and wasn't all that impressed.
However, this was generally a very poor CB class and in those circumstances, the top CB's were going to get pushed up draft boards because if a team wanted one, they would have to seriously reach.(I'm not including Peterson in that comment, he was the only solid CB prospect in this year's draft)
IMO, while the Prince has some serious flaws, I still like his potential to improve. He strikes me as a man determined to be the best he can be, which is probably why the Giants took him. Great character guy!

Brothgar
05-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I heard that some NFL owners had sent money to a member of the Nigerian Royal Family who priomised them riches and then stiffed them thus owners and GMs are very weary of drafting Nigerian royal prospects.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Haha wut? Nigerian players are soft:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0228/nfl_u_okoye_200.jpg

Rosebud
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I have been saying for sometime that the Prince's workout at the Combine wasn't as good as people were saying. Deion Sanders watched him do his drills and wasn't all that impressed.
However, this was generally a very poor CB class and in those circumstances, the top CB's were going to get pushed up draft boards because if a team wanted one, they would have to seriously reach.(I'm not including Peterson in that comment, he was the only solid CB prospect in this year's draft)
IMO, while the Prince has some serious flaws, I still like his potential to improve. He strikes me as a man determined to be the best he can be, which is probably why the Giants took him. Great character guy!

What the **** are you talking about? This draft had 3 guys who should become #1 corners, that's not a weak draft class, at least not at the top of the class.

Iamcanadian
05-04-2011, 12:17 AM
What the **** are you talking about? This draft had 3 guys who should become #1 corners, that's not a weak draft class, at least not at the top of the class.

Obviously the Prince wasn't rated all that high since he lasted till #19 and Jimmy Smith has all sorts of character issues which dropped him to Baltimore. After that the CB class just plain stunk although Dowling if he can ever stay healthy might add a 4th name.

I didn't see anybody rushing to trade up for either the Prince or Smith and considering how small a group of CB's were projected to go high, it says an awful lot about how much they were in demand.

Rosebud
05-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Obviously the Prince wasn't rated all that high since he lasted till #19 and Jimmy Smith has all sorts of character issues which dropped him to Baltimore. After that the CB class just plain stunk although Dowling if he can ever stay healthy might add a 4th name.

I didn't see anybody rushing to trade up for either the Prince or Smith and considering how small a group of CB's were projected to go high, it says an awful lot about how much they were in demand.

This draft had two major factors that overwhelmed a lot of other positions. 1. The run on QBs, when a guy like Christian Ponder goes at #12 there's good players that are going to fall. 2. The DLinemen, this was a draft with silly number of DL guys so again you saw guys falling much further than they normally would.

That's why Prince fell a little. Plus even after the slide he went top 20 as a corner, that shows that clearly he was well thought of. I'd expect a top 20 pick at corner to become a quality #1 CB down the line and that's exactly what Prince should be.

As for Smith clearly his character issues make him a big question mark, but his talent is exceptional. I'm not going to argue the depth of the corner class, as it's just solid, but this was a really good CB class at the top.