PDA

View Full Version : Draft Team Reviews, Scott?

Victory X
05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
One of my favorite aspects of this site in the past. There never were any last year (why?). Will there be reviews this year?

PossibleCabbage
05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Apparently the plan is for Scott to look at eight teams a week on the podcast over the next four weeks, I'm not sure that there will be a written review... but there probably will be since the research Scott does for the Podcast can be easily spun into a few paragraphs on each team.

Scott Wright
05-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Starting both podcast and written reviews next week!

onejayhawk
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Starting both podcast and written reviews next week!

How is that coming?

J

DcmRulz
05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
I like that chargers one. Kind of fits what i was thinking (not a very good draft). I'm not as high on Liuget as SD evidently is, and i'm not sure the talent fits the pick #.

IMO, best pick--Shareece Wright (not good, but never really terrible)
worst pick--Schilling (never really impressed me in Michigan)

Instant Starters--1...MAYBE 2 (Liuget and MAYBE Vince Brown [shocker!])
Potential Starters--4 (no love for schilling, Gachkar, or whoever is the worse of the two DBs.)

onejayhawk
05-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I liked the Chargers better than that. Luiget looks like a Dorsey/Dockett type DE. A lot of people say he's too short, but they said that about Dorsey, and he is doing fine.

Wright is good, and I love their late picks, even Gachkar, who is pure ST gunner.

J

Duffman57
05-23-2011, 02:12 AM
I think the grade should be higher. I think they looked to help RIGHT NOW. They got their biggest need, with Liuget taking care of the DE spot. I think people are overrating the 3-4 fit problem with alot of guys. Most DE's in the 3-4 are around 6'3", the perfect height is around 6'5". But if most are 6'3", is there really that big a difference between one or two inches. I think the biggest problem is the arm length, which he has longer than average arms at 33.5", which is around average for an OT in the NFL. He's got a great playstyle to match the penetrating 1 gap 3-4 that we run as well. Another thing, is that though Jordan could've been the pick, he is MUCH worse against the run than Liuget and Liuget is a bigger body, and Jordan is more lean and wont hold the point as well. Liuget was more a better fit, and there's a reason quite a few teams with REALLY big needs for 3-4 DE's passed on him, and he went to a 4-3 team (NE, SD, Wash, Hou, Cle all passed on him, with big needs at DE).

The only thing i can back up the Gilchrist pick is with the fact that no other prospect has the experience playing in the slot, a normal CB spot and as a FS, and we really need depth at all of those spots.

There were actually a few scouts that i've heard that had him as a good 3rd round pospect, and as a guy, according to greg cossell was a "film favorite", but honstly i'm not expecting much from him. Maybe a 3rd down backer with those fluid hips he shows in coverage, and a ST's players. He was a reach though, no matter how much sugar coat it.

Vincent Brown seems like a Derrick Mason clone, but for now it seems like he's a slot receiver and just another weapon for Rivers, which i have no problem with, with no other WR that i really liked. Fine with me.

Shareece Wright i thought was a great pick. I'm not sure how long he will last though. He's got solid size/speed and is really a football player, but when you watch him he just plays with no limits and throws his body around, and i'm not sure how long he can last with a smaller body that he has for a CB, but will help right away in the slot nonetheless.

Last round picks were pretty much ST's and backups, pretty solid picks.

Overall, one thing to think about is that we're making a team with little impact players. All of our first 5 picks will see some sort of time. They will make small contributions that we previously lacked (other than Brown) and will immediately fix our ST's.

Also i think our problem with OLB was way overplayed. We had some solid pass rushers on passing downs which destroyed NE and a few others when Phillips and Barnes were in their faces all day, and English will finally be healthy this season, and if thats a problem, we got 2 guys who are solid player against the pass (coverage) and against the run in Tucker and Applewhite.

Prowler
05-23-2011, 03:45 AM
I would say that its not about being happy with what you got, its also about getting the most out of what you had. The Chargers had a C type draft.

49ersfan_87
05-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Scott's been updating his reviews and has 5 teams up. Here's the directory.

http://draftcountdown.com/Reviews/Reviews.php