PDA

View Full Version : Jets sign a DE

hcbrad08
03-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Jets came to an agreement with DE Michael Haynes...in 2002 he was the 14th overall pick out of penn state... He was drafted by the Bears but struggled when Lovie Smith tried to convert him to a full time DT he was released and signed by the Saints....He never got an opportunity with the Saints and was released...The good news he's 26 if he gains 5 to 10 punds hell be perfect size for a 3-4 DE at 6-4 293 and he was obviously drafted high bc he had talent and ability.....The bad news he has not proven himself on the NFL level and as of now needs to gain a little weight.... Hopefully Mangini can tap into that 14th overall pick potential.

Also how do you feel about this signing and how it effects our draft?

derza222
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
The Bears traded down from the pick we gave them in the D-Rob trade and picked Haynes with that pick. He definitely has potential to do well and I really like the signing. Low risk high reward situation. Defensive end is probably more of a want pick/pick for the future as we have a decent rotation now, but I don't think it really affects the draft too much. Hopefully he turns his career around.

Non_Sequitur
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Also how do you feel about this signing and how it effects our draft?

Not vey much at all. We weren't going to draft a 3-4 DE unless one of great value fell into our laps in the first (nor probably the 2nd) round.

I hope he pans out. If nothing else we have a nice little rotation of talent across from our stud Ellis.

AMJets
03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
It's a good signing for the simple fact that it's low risk/high reward. If he sucks, he'll just be cut. No harm done. But if he turns his career around, we get a very talented player still in his prime.

hcbrad08
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
also coincidentally on ESPN they were talking about TJ who turned his career around after being a 1st round pick and being put in bad fit systems...sound like anyone we just signed

bearsfan_51
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
It's his health more than anything else. He's coming off a major injury, which is why the Saints cut him shortly after picking him up on waivers.

Crickett
03-24-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm sure he had to pass a physical. Whether he can stay healthy is another matter entirely. Just the same, one more DE on the depth chart (that we've actually heard of) means the likelyhood that the Jets will draft a 3-4 DE is just a little bit less than it was before.

Johnny4
03-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Every mock has the Jets taking a CB, but as time goes on you see how desperate they are to get Drob and Vilma some help. I can't see them taking the 4th corner off the board at #25.

SenorGato
03-26-2007, 12:05 PM
The 3-4 fits Haynes way better than the 4-3 ever did. This is another smart signing for the Jets.

Non_Sequitur
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Jets | Wadsworth signs
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:24:10 -0700

The New York Jets have signed unrestricted free-agent DL Andre Wadsworth (Cardinals). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

The 2nd signing of a bust...

frogstomp
03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, you guys do know that like 2-3 guys will be cut during camp... we're just looking for depth/hidden gems.

Non_Sequitur
03-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, you guys do know that like 2-3 guys will be cut during camp... we're just looking for depth/hidden gems.

Obviously, we're just throwing them against the wall and seeing which sticks.

Which also means 1 of them will probably stick.

Which means it's unlikely we'll spend a day 1 pick on a 3-4 DE.

Non_Sequitur
03-26-2007, 07:13 PM
BTW Michael Haynes' combine numbers:

Height: 6035
Weight: 281
40 Yrd Dash: 4.87
20 Yrd Dash: 2.82
10 Yrd Dash: 1.61
Wonderlic: 32
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'1"
20 Yrd Shuttle: DNP
3-Cone Drill: DNP

BroadwayJoe10
03-27-2007, 09:02 PM
well lets add another one to that list..jets signed David Bowens to a three year deal worth roughly 6.1 million...this was the signing ive been waiting for ever since the begining of free agency. The thing i most loved about him was, he had been rumored to say that he wanted to play for the jets; which just shows hes a smart guy in the fact he knows whos headed in the right direction, buys into manginis system, isn't afraid of the offseason regimine and ultimately wont give the organization any problems...hopefully..

and does he fit better in as a ILB or OLB in the 3-4?? it looks to me he'd be better used as a OLB what with his pass rushing ability

throwback54milkman
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
well lets add another one to that list..jets signed David Bowens to a three year deal worth roughly 6.1 million...this was the signing ive been waiting for ever since the begining of free agency. The thing i most loved about him was, he had been rumored to say that he wanted to play for the jets; which just shows hes a smart guy in the fact he knows whos headed in the right direction, buys into manginis system, isn't afraid of the offseason regimine and ultimately wont give the organization any problems...hopefully..

and does he fit better in as a ILB or OLB in the 3-4?? it looks to me he'd be better used as a OLB what with his pass rushing ability

i can say this 90% confidence that this means we are drafting a CB or Greg Olsen first round, u think this guy will start?

BroadwayJoe10
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
i can say this 90% confidence that this means we are drafting a CB or Greg Olsen first round, u think this guy will start?

yaa without a doubt i think he starts, i also thinks it means that barton has a better chance of being traded...if we can find anyone to trade for him.. i also think if theres not a player that we definately want at #25 and can't get in the begining of the second round i say we trade down hopefully solidy a high second and and mid 3rd rounder considering the talent pool is pretty deep but the elite talent is only the top part of the draft...i can see this happening depending on whos off the board at the time, as well as the growing interest in Ikaika Alama-francis but its definately gettin a lot more interesting

AMJets
03-27-2007, 10:58 PM

OLB. He's very similar to B. Thomas (the one of last year, not the pre-Mangini bust).

This was a very good signing. Not very expensive, but he could have a major impact as a pass-rushing OLB in the 3-4. 18 sacks the last 3 years as a backup in Miami, the only reason he wasn't given an opportunity to start was because he happened to play the same 4-3 position as Jason Taylor. It's very possible he'll start at OLB here, especially if Barton is traded.

BroadwayJoe10
03-27-2007, 11:44 PM
OLB. He's very similar to B. Thomas (the one of last year, not the pre-Mangini bust).

This was a very good signing. Not very expensive, but he could have a major impact as a pass-rushing OLB in the 3-4. 18 sacks the last 3 years as a backup in Miami, the only reason he wasn't given an opportunity to start was because he happened to play the same 4-3 position as Jason Taylor. It's very possible he'll start at OLB here, especially if Barton is traded.

so than im assuming we'd be moving hobson to play ILB next to vilma?? ive always thought of him as more of an inside player myself anyways

BroadwayJoe10
03-27-2007, 11:49 PM
assuming bowens gets the starting job id imaging him, thomas, ellis, and haynes/wadsworth/koleman can put some pressure on the qb we wouldnt have to leave our CBs out on an island as much..itd also give Kerry Rhodes more opportunities to wreak havoc on recievers instead of constantly blitzing (although im sure they will cause hes a beast..can 't wait to see what kind of season he has this year)

Non_Sequitur
03-28-2007, 12:19 AM

RT/RG would be the 10%?