PDA

View Full Version : Player Most Likely to Hit Ceiling

GaMeTiMe
05-02-2011, 11:07 PM
What players do you feel will have the best chance to maximize their potential as a result of the team they landed with?

There are always guys through the draft that make us say "wow, that's a GREAT fit for that team". Who were they?

I feel like JJ Watt will flourish under Wade Phillips, after people were saying "more Carriker than Aaron Smith".

I love Ras-I to the Patriots. I think in 3 years he's a top-10 player in the draft because of where he landed.

Something about Aldrick Robinson under Shanahan makes me very excited.

Then, there's the entire Packers draft...

Again not talking steals or good values, but players that will hit their ceiling because of where they were drafted.

ElectricEye
05-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Good thread.

To start off, please don't think I'm being a homer, but Nate Solder is one. I'm being completely objective too, not trying to oversell it because of the ties. Dante Scarnecchia is one of the best in the business at coaching offensive linemen. He's turned some players with very average talent into Pro-Bowlers more than once. It will be interesting to see what he does with a high ceiling kid he personally worked out and selected. Perfect fit for our blocking schemes as well, as we tend to prefer and design them around guys who are light on their feet with the ability to pull out and get to the second level. Sebastian Vollmer was a similar high ceiling, technical project that we worked out and had playing at a very high level extremely early.

Going beyond that, I really like JJ Watt in Wade's 1 Gap system too. Allows him to play essentially the same role he excelled at in college in the NFL. Should be a great player for Houston.

Corey Liuget is another real good fit as a one gap guy. He turns the corner very well for a big man and that should translate into having good edge skills to go along with his abilities as a penetrator. The Chargers have pumped out ends cut from the same mold as him before, such as Luis Castillo.

Down a little further in the draft, K .J. Wright seems like a real good Pete Carroll linebacker with the versatile blend of physical skills and the sheer number of things he can do. I can easily see him being a guy who is regarded as being much better than his draft position indicated within a few years.

One of my favorite sheer fits in this draft is also one of the more painful misses I'm anticipating that the Patriots had. Chris Carter out of Fresno State fits what the Steelers like to do with their linebackers absolutely perfectly. It's near criminal that he fell to them and they're certainly going to take advantage of that I think. Flies around the field and plays with a real burst off the edge. He's got some real good guys to learn from there too in Woodley and James Harrison, not to mention the fantastic coaching staff. It may take him some time to put it together, but he's one of the early guys I have pegged for being an absolute steal when it's all said and done.

A real deep one I've already talked about in other threads is Lawrence Guy to the Packers. This "Guy" made a mistake coming out early this year for sure. Could have gone back to school and really helped solidify his draft stock and get his name out there more than it was...but he's got a real good blend of athletic tools that he brings to the table along with pretty good length and power. Really seems to fit in with the rest of the personal and what Green Bay looks for out of a potential DE.

jrdrylie
05-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I think JJ Watt went to the best possible spot to maximize his potential. I also think Cameron Heyward went to a great spot as a 3-4 end.

I think Julio Jones is going to blast through his ceiling. Good quarterback. Good running attack. A good receiver opposite him. If the Falcons decide to throw the ball more this year, I think he could have an Anquan Boldin type rookie season.

I think both Nate Solder and Ryan Mallett are going to do great in New England. I thought Solder was the most likely first round to bust, but New England is that one spot where I think he can maximize his potential. As for Mallett, he isn't going to be thrown to the wolves right away. He now has the chance to sit back, mature a little bit and learn from one of the best QBs to ever play. I don't know if he'll ever start in New England. But in three years, don't be surprised to see a team trade a 2nd rounder for him and he become a star.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-03-2011, 12:19 AM
I think Bowers in Tampa is an absolutely perfect fit.

I really like Mallet to NE, as he will actually get time to develop.

Also like Kapernicks chances working with Harbaugh(sp?)

Halsey
05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Castonzo, easily. He's highly experienced and his ceiling isn't widely perceived to be all that high. Plus, with Manning at QB, he only needs to pass protect for like 2 seconds per play.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Greg McElroy, since he's already hit it

JETS5128
05-03-2011, 02:21 AM
There is no one better at developing defensive linemen than Rex Ryan. Muhammad Wilkerson and Kenrick Ellis both have all the athleticism and size you could ask for in a prospect. Rex will mold them into absolute beasts in a couple years

edgrenade
05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Greg McElroy, since he's already hit it

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Well, I'm hoping that Colin Kaepernick with Harbaugh will bring him to his FULL potential.

defensiveback23
05-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Vincent Brown. Being the likely fourth option with defenses zeroed in elsewhere will help him flourish in the slot. With Rivers throwing to him as an underneath safety net he should hit his ceiling. Great offense to be in and it helps that he is a relatively high floor sort.

roscoesdad27
05-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Jimmy Smith hands down, the track record is clear. From Boulware to McCalister to Reed to Suggs to Ngata we simply manufacture first round defensive stars, we don't miss and they hit their ceiling....that #52 guy is something incredibly special.

regoob2
05-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Carimi at RT for the Bears could. Mike Tice is great at coaching up the big guys and Carimi doesnt have a very high ceiling so it shouldnt be to hard to get him there.

the_dark_knight
05-03-2011, 08:22 AM
I think the biggest player that will hit their ceiling is none other than Ryan Mallett. As much as it pains me to say, since I lothe the Gaytriots, they drafted the strongest armed QB who can make every throw on the field. Given a coach like Belicheat the guy is going to know where the defense is blitzing from, thanks to many tedious hours of "practice" and he'll really be able to shine.

There was no good reason to let him slide past all those teams that needed a QB, when Mallett was easily a first round talent that the Pats got in round 3, and in the perfect situation, to sit behind Brady for 2 years, then let him come in and take over. Makes me sick.

That one is the most glaring to me, I think a lot of players are already at or near their ceilings so there will be a lot of players who "hit" their ceiling. I'd say some of those super low ceiling guys are people like Adrian Clayborne who's best football is behind him already, a guy like Watkins, as much as we all appreciate firemen, this guy is super super low ceiling.

Players like Jaquizz Rodgers will hit his ceiling as well, because it's just not like he's going to be a starting RB, he's going to be a proficient 3rd down back who is what he is. He's not going to get faster or stronger, so I think he's approaching his ceiling as well.

GatorsBullsFan
05-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Not to sound like a Homer but I think Gabbert has every chance to hit his ceiling in Jacksonville and be a great QB

GoRavens
05-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I truly think Ras-I Dowling has potential to be a pro bowl CB now that he's in New England

roscoesdad27
05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I truly think Ras-I Dowling has potential to be a pro bowl CB now that he's in New England

Quit being humble WE got the best pure cover corner in the draft and the best track record in football when it comes to developing first round defensive talent. 1+1=2, its hands down.

Fairley also has a great shot, Suh will push him during training camp and also take most of the attention on game day....the hype is legit.

AntoinCD
05-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Quit being humble WE got the best pure cover corner in the draft and the best track record in football when it comes to developing first round defensive talent. 1+1=2, its hands down.

Fairley also has a great shot, Suh will push him during training camp and also take most of the attention on game day....the hype is legit.

You also got the best pure cover corner in the draft at #27. In this case 1+1=3. I'd have serious concerns over his character. Top ten talent CBs dont normally fall that far. From a Ravens perspective i'd hope Ray and co get on his ass early and often if he ever wants to fulfill his potential

jth1331
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Change the thread title to: "Where homers talk about their teams' picks"

katnip
05-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Christian Ponder & his supporting offense??

roscoesdad27
05-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Change the thread title to: "Where homers talk about their teams' picks"

Nah they already have a thread for that, this thread is about which player is most likely to hit their ceiling. I say Jimmy Smith cause of the ravens flawless first round defensive prospect track record. Who do u think will?

Babylon
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Christian Ponder & his supporting offense??

I'll one up his supporting cast with Jake Locker's offense in Tennessee. The obvious things he'll have to work with are a top offensive line, Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt. The other thing that will be of help to Locker is now he wont be the focus of all 11 guys on the opposing teams defense, hopefully that new found freedom will be something he can use to reach his full potential.

K Train
05-03-2011, 11:11 AM
fairley is much less likely to flop now that he has suh to compete with...he wont want to be known as the guy next to suh so hopefully that drives him.

homer pick is heyward...couldnt be a more perfect fit for him to become a master of the 5 tech position

wicket
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Well, I'm hoping that Colin Kaepernick with Harbaugh will bring him to his FULL potential.

Colin Kaepernick to his full potential would be scary

keylime_5
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Fairley playing next to Suh in Detroit. You think playing next to the best DT in the league won't motivate him? Those two should feed off of each other's success, no better place for Fairley than Detroit IMO.

Likewise there isn't a better fit for Jimmy Smith than Baltimore. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and probably the most stable defensive locker room in the NFL. If he headcases himself out of the league it won't be b/c the locker room presence couldn't control him.

49erNation85
05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Colin Kaepernick to his full potential would be scary

I really doubt that even happens.A.Smith didn't even come close to his and we are looking at just about the same QB project.I see maybe 70% of full potential if that,I just can't see spread QB working out in our system I dunno.

Echoes
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Controversial take: I think Dowling ends up at safety with the Patriots before it's all said and done.

I love Randall Cobb with the Packers. I think he's going to be an instant impact player for them. I also am a big fan of Edmund Gates with the Dolphins -- just think that's a perfect fit with them and I can see him developing into a big time playmaker if they get some quality QB play.

I think a guy like Nate Solder would be a bust had he landed on a different team, but I trust the Patriots when it comes to developing quality o-linemen and I think they'll do the same with him. So that was a great fit for him. Kendall Hunter also strikes me as a very nice fit with the 49ers.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Controversial take: I think Dowling ends up at safety with the Patriots before it's all said and done.

I don't think that's real controversial. It's a distinct possibility, even. He'll get a try at corner first for sure though, and if he doesn't do well there we have a rather large need to a safety that can cover the deep ball because Merri's instability and up and down play. Irrelevant to your point, but Dowling projects pretty well to safety if he doesn't turn out to be the player he can be a corner, so I thought it was a fantastic pick.

Echoes
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't think that's real controversial. It's a distinct possibility, even. He'll get a try at corner first for sure though, and if he doesn't do well there we have a rather large need to a safety that can cover the deep ball because Merri's instability and up and down play. Irrelevant to your point, but Dowling projects pretty well to safety if he doesn't turn out to be the player he can be a corner, so I thought it was a fantastic pick.

Yeah, I think Dowling is a high quality prospect and will be a very solid pro if he stays healthy, but whenever I watch him play he looks more like a safety playing CB to me than a pure edge corner. He plays a little too upright, isn't the most fluid guy in the world... he's more like a headhunter out there with very good ball skills IMO. Wouldn't shock me at all if he eventually replaces Meriweather.

Roddoliver
05-03-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't think JJ Watt will be a good 3-4 DE, eating space and trying to play against two blockers. Think Tyson Jackson. He should be a 4-3 LDE, he would shine like one. Mario Williams and JJ Watt as 4-3 DEs would be amazing. In the 3-4... A waste.

JustDezIT
05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
What players do you feel will have the best chance to maximize their potential as a result of the team they landed with?

There are always guys through the draft that make us say "wow, that's a GREAT fit for that team". Who were they?

I feel like JJ Watt will flourish under Wade Phillips, after people were saying "more Carriker than Aaron Smith".

I love Ras-I to the Patriots. I think in 3 years he's a top-10 player in the draft because of where he landed.

Something about Aldrick Robinson under Shanahan makes me very excited.

Then, there's the entire Packers draft...

Again not talking steals or good values, but players that will hit their ceiling because of where they were drafted.

JJ Watt will flourish under Wade Phillips? LOL. The same way Olshansky "flourished". We're talking about one of the worse defensive coordinators in the NFL. Trust me, I'd know. Phillips 3-4 is opposite of Nebraskas. Not to mention I think Watt sucks.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't think JJ Watt will be a good 3-4 DE, eating space and trying to play against two blockers. Think Tyson Jackson. He should be a 4-3 LDE, he would shine like one. Mario Williams and JJ Watt as 4-3 DEs would be amazing. In the 3-4... A waste.

He's playing in a one gap. Same role he played in college, basically.

BaLLiN
05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Chris Carter and the steelers /thread

Babylon
05-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Watt, Reed and Brandon Harris i would say is an immediate impact on that defense, then you add a Demeco Ryans and maybe a breakout season for a Connor Barwin in that 3-4 defense and i think Houston would be my team to watch take off in the AFC.

DBNYDP
05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Watt, Reed and Brandon Harris i would say is an immediate impact on that defense, then you add a Demeco Ryans and maybe a breakout season for a Connor Barwin in that 3-4 defense and i think Houston would be my team to watch take off in the AFC.
We say this every year about this team.

Babylon
05-03-2011, 06:11 PM
We say this every year about this team.

True but i just mentioned 5 potential upgrades they didnt have last year.

Roddoliver
05-03-2011, 06:31 PM

Wade Phillips has a weird scheme. I don't know how you can send the 3 DL to take care of 1 gap each without leaving the middle of the field open for potential big runs. Either Mario Williams or JJ Watt will have to play as the weakside DE, with the LT and LG often working together. Tough job. One of them will lose some pass rushing ability and have two guys to go against during a run. The strongside DE has a better chance against a RT and occasionally a TE.

PoopSandwich
05-03-2011, 06:34 PM
i've actually always liked ceilings, i guess you could call me a ceiling fan

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Wade Phillips has a weird scheme. I don't know how you can send the 3 DL to take care of 1 gap each without leaving the middle of the field open for potential big runs. Either Mario Williams or JJ Watt will have to play as the weakside DE, with the LT and LG often working together. Tough job. One of them will lose some pass rushing ability and have two guys to go against during a run. The strongside DE has a better chance against a RT and occasionally a TE.

Still think he can do it. Don't forget, Wisconsin moved him around a whole ton. He came from the interior fairly frequently in college and looked pretty good doing it, even on run plays dealing with multiple blockers.

Rabscuttle
05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Jake Locker and Andy Dalton because they already have.

stephenson86
05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Jake Locker hasn't hit his ceiling seeing as he still has room to improve on his footwork and accuracy...

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Jake Locker hasn't hit his ceiling seeing as he still has room to improve on his footwork and accuracy...

LOT'S of room, even. His footwork on his dropback is fine. His stride when he's throwing is a major problem.

Rabscuttle
05-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Do you consider those anywhere near his biggest problems?

Heisman
05-03-2011, 07:54 PM

hahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahha

fenikz
05-03-2011, 07:56 PM

my Halloween costume 2 years ago, no one got it

jayceheathman
05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Brooks Reed in Houston's 3-4. I'm calling DROY right now.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 09:34 PM

heyoooo lol touche good sir

Rosebud
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Nto sure if these guys will hit their potential but I think these are some great fits.

Prince Amukamara
Prince reminds me a lot of current Giant Corey Webster, with our DL talent and 3 proven vets that'll let us bring him along slowly I think this is great spot for Prince to hit his potential and become an elite cover guy who's strong against the run and on the blitz. Plus with the pressure we should be able to get he should get his fair share of potential picks.

Jake Locker
I'm a believer, the WR is by far the bes the's ever worked with, Britt is a #1 guy if he's keeping his head out of his ass and they've got a solid group of guys supporting Britt. Add in a quality OL and fantastic RB and this is a really good team for Locker to try and hit his ceiling with. Plus they're already geared for an athletic QB who excels on rollouts.

Robert Quinn
Spags will utilize the **** out of Robert Quinn, with Chris Long on the otherside and an offense that has the pieces to put up some points he should get plenty of good chances to hit some QBs.

Jimmy Smith
Ray Ray will keep his ass distinctly head free and he's got phenomenal man skills.

Andy Dalton
A really talented D, an OL that could be really good, a strong rushing attack and a bunch of talented young receivers. This could be a great situation for Dalton to hit whatever his potential is, provided he doesn't suck enough for Cincy to replace him with Luck next season.

Dam8610
05-04-2011, 02:41 AM
How could Julio Jones NOT hit his ceiling in the situation he went to? He's going to be the number three option (behind a top 5 WR and an ageless soon to be HOF TE) rather than number one, in what now looks to be (at least on paper) an extremely explosive offense. No team is going to roll coverage to him (they simply can't with White and Tony G on the field), and he will still have his ridiculous skillset to call upon, one that will win him many a jump ball and beat many a DB. I predict a 1000+ yard, 5-10 TD season for him, and growth from there.

As for a homer pick (since everyone seems to have one), I'm going with Ijalana. The Colts drafted Castonzo, who was in most opinions one of the surest bets in the draft to contribute to OL success, but IMO it's Ijalana who will end up starting at LT and has a chance to be all-pro there, that is if the Colts let him flourish as he can rather than stubbornly insisting that Castonzo stay at LT if Ijalana turns out to be the clearly superior talent.