PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush, the most unique draft bust ever.

bigbuc
05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
He's run for just over 2000 yards... in five seasons.

He has a little over 2000 receiving yards... in five seasons.

He has 29 combined rushing/receiving Td's in five seasons.

All that for a top two pick is bust, but in a way he's not a bust. He changes the game for Saints like no other player in the NFL can. The offense works so well cause Bush is in it. By pulling him out of the backfield you get 11 sets of eyes looking and pointing at him. By swinging him into the flat you have CB and S taking false steps. Is it crazy to say that Bush might be the most ineffective, effective player in the NFL? Does that even make sense? A running back that can't run, but that can run routes? A kick and punt returner that does more on offense than a avg returner.

roscoesdad27
05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
best decoy in football?

wicket
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I think there may be places bush could go where he has more individual production but I dont think there is any other place where he brings more to a team. Id be really bummed to see bush go elsewhere.

AntoinCD
05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I believe he is a rich mans Kevin Faulk. Means so much to the team without necessarily showing up in the stat sheet every week.

Hurricanes25
05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Bush is more of a disappointment than a bust.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Reggie Bush fit into the 'Draft disappointment' category in my mind. A bust is someone like JaMarcus Russell or Charles Rodgers. Guys who did nothing for and hurt the team that drafted them.

PoopSandwich
05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Bush will end up with the Jets or something and be a great fit.

D-Unit
05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Well, I for one thought Bush was going to be a better version of Marshall Faulk. When I judge his talents, even today, I still think he's got it in him to be like that, but he keeps getting injured. The time away on injury has been the biggest part of his disappointment to me. His play on the field has been good when given opportunity. Not great... but it's been good and bigbuc is right about his ability to change the game by simply being on the field without racking up the stats.

Apparently he thinks he's gone from NOR. I personally think he's got the perfect compliment there now in Ingram. If he leaves NOR, I hope he doesn't come to the NFC East, because I know I would hate having the Cowboys face him twice a year. I can just imagine him going to the Giants... Ugh... that would suck! Or could you imagine what Andy Reid would do with him?! That would be crazy scary... Vick, Desean and Bush would be unfair. ...he can go to the Redskins.. they suck. lol.

D-Unit
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Bush will end up with the Jets or something and be a great fit.
Anywhere but Philly. Andy Reid would have a hay day!

Vick... McCoy, Bush, Havili... Desean, Maclin... Celek... Oh my...

KCJ58
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
It's funny that this topic didn't come up until after the Saints drafted Mark Ingram

Ness
05-03-2011, 02:16 PM

All that for a top two pick is bust, but in a way he's not a bust. He changes the game for Saints like no other player in the NFL can. The offense works so well cause Bush is in it. By pulling him out of the backfield you get 11 sets of eyes looking and pointing at him. By swinging him into the flat you have CB and S taking false steps. Is it crazy to say that Bush might be the most ineffective, effective player in the NFL? Does that even make sense? A running back that can't run, but that can run routes? A kick and punt returner that does more on offense than a avg returner.
He's an overhyped Kevin Faulk. Seems he's gotten so much hype that it's actually overshadowed the truth of him being a bust. A Super Bowl ring helps that case too. Jones-Drew should have went before him in the draft. Maybe DeAngelo Williams too.

SolidGold
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
He is a better receiver, not an effective runner at all, his speed to the outside that helped him so much in college has been really negated in the NFL. He does give opposing defenses a challenge and create mismatches but like others in this thread have said, he is more of a decoy. I'll have to agree with the disappointment label rather than bust label. He was touted as the next Gale Sayers coming out of USC.

PoopSandwich
05-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Jets would be disgusting with Bush in the back field if they can resign Edwards and Holmes.

Eagles as well obviously, could you imagine Bush lining up at receiver with D Jack Maclin Vick and McCoy...

wicket
05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
It's funny that this topic didn't come up until after the Saints drafted Mark Ingram

whilst drafting ingram would be more of a worry for thomas, ivory and hamilton

D-Unit
05-03-2011, 02:56 PM
To be honest as well... During the time of the draft Reggie Bush had MAAAAANY haters who disliked him and predicted this kind of outcome... even down to him being injury prone.

So nobody is really saying anything new now that wasn't said before. They are just right about it. Give yourself a pat on the back if you were one of those who thought the Saints made a bad pick. *not sure they win a SB w/out him though* haha, the irony.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I get more concerned about his nagging injuries and inability to sustain a heavy workload, more than his production when he's healthy. He plays well when he's not nursing injuries.

The last few years, he's looked explosive and decisive, Saints fans start to get excited, people start to notice, and BAM, injured.

Jughead10
05-03-2011, 03:09 PM
The bottom line though is he's still not worth the money or draft status considering what is available at that spot in most years. In a capped league (obviously not right now but when he was drafted), his production does not equal his value. If he was take late in round 1, it would be a totally different story.

Jughead10
05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
He is a better receiver, not an effective runner at all, his speed to the outside that helped him so much in college has been really negated in the NFL. He does give opposing defenses a challenge and create mismatches but like others in this thread have said, he is more of a decoy. I'll have to agree with the disappointment label rather than bust label. He was touted as the next Gale Sayers coming out of USC.

It's the same reason running QBs aren't effective in the NFL outside Vick. Defenses are faster, the hashmarks are narrower. Players who rely on speed to get them to the sideline and cut up the field just can't do it in the NFL.

I thought he would bust from Day 1. Didn't even think he would be as good as he is now. However I think Sean Payton had a lot to do with it. Not every coach will be inventive with a player like that. But I guess Payton was forced to because of the money and draft status. There are other players like Reggie in the NFL. But other teams aren't forced to be creative enough because of their draft status. Would you rather have Reggie Bush and his salary at 2 overall or Leon Washington and his in the fourth round (before his terrible injury of course).

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 03:14 PM
No RB is in the league right now is really worth 12 million a year.

Jughead10
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
No RB is in the league right now is really worth 12 million a year.

At least 95% aren't. But Reggie Bush apparently was supposed to be.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Of course, he not worth that kind of money but he is a very solid player when healthy and hardly a bust.
If he leaves NO, their offense will really feel it especially the lost space he created for the other WR's. Unlike a lot of fans, the Saints coaches and players realize his value and really want him back.
If he had gone to a coach like Andy Reid, you'd see the stats everybody wants to judge him on, but Payton is an offensive genius and uses Bush effectively to open up his offense.
Let's see:
1) Mario Williams DE No rings, no playoff appearances
2) Reggie Bush, 1 ring and multiple playoff appearances
3) VY no rings, 1 playoff experience and a winning record

Stats don't always mean a whole lot in pro football.

stephenson86
05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Of course, he not worth that kind of money but he is a very solid player when healthy and hardly a bust.
If he leaves NO, their offense will really feel it especially the lost space he created for the other WR's. Unlike a lot of fans, the Saints coaches and players realize his value and really want him back.
If he had gone to a coach like Andy Reid, you'd see the stats everybody wants to judge him on, but Payton is an offensive genius and uses Bush effectively to open up his offense.
Let's see:

Stats don't always mean a whole lot in pro football.

It's a team game, don't go using the "he's got a ring defense" to make out he is a better player/pick than Mario was for Houston.

PoopSandwich
05-03-2011, 03:45 PM
It's a team game, don't go using the "he's got a ring defense" to make out he is a better player/pick than Mario was for Houston.

Quincy Morgan > Randy Moss

Iamcanadian
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Sure, why should rings and playoff appearances count for anything, wait, isn't that why they play pro football?
Houston has one of the worst defenses in pro football, without Mario, they would still be one of the worst defenses in pro football, so what was his impact = 0.

Jughead10
05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Let's see:

Stats don't always mean a whole lot in pro football.\

You don't think that there are other players Sean Payton can grab much later than the 2nd pick overall and pay a lot less with the same skill set? Dexter McCluster comes to mind right away. No players like that ever goes 2 overall. If Payton really wants to, he can find another player, a lot cheaper than Bush to do the same things if he wants that going forward.

fear the elf
05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Sure, why should rings and playoff appearances count for anything, wait, isn't that why they play pro football?
Houston has one of the worst defenses in pro football, without Mario, they would still be one of the worst defenses in pro football, so what was his impact = 0.

There are at least 20 other players that you could argue did more to earn that ring for the Saints than Reggie did.

Splat
05-03-2011, 04:03 PM
A guy with 50 sacks in 5 years or a gimmick player? I'm taking the 50 sacks and not looking back.

stephenson86
05-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Yes but its a ******* team game for ***** sake, Reggie Bush did not put the Saint's on his back and win the Superbowl for them.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-03-2011, 04:29 PM

What you are joking right? So I guess going by this logic you can say Daryl Johnston was a better pick than Barry Sanders in the 89 draft? Detroit sucked with Barry and would suck without him so I guess Johnston is a better player...

Hurricanes25
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TNXN6QQ0u0I/AAAAAAAAAWI/bw3_EiZUxS8/s1600/Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

If you are, then Ari Gold has a few words for ya-

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/whitmansghost/gtfo.gif

wicket
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
\

You don't think that there are other players Sean Payton can grab much later than the 2nd pick overall and pay a lot less with the same skill set? Dexter McCluster comes to mind right away. No players like that ever goes 2 overall. If Payton really wants to, he can find another player, a lot cheaper than Bush to do the same things if he wants that going forward.

there really arent all that many. most people have the wiggle or the straight line speed, bush has both. harvin obviously comes to mind but he wont be cheap to get either

niel89
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Its like some one made a team on Madden. Just pure raw sexy speed all around.

Vick2Jackson
05-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Demarco Murray reminds me so much of this guy. Except he'll have a much more productive career and is a much better runner.

goes to show you college production means jack. Averaged over 6 YPC at USC, he's averaged in the 3's his whole career excpt one in the pros.

Splat
05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I love that Chris Johnson pretty much had the same about of rushing yards in one season as Bush has had his whole career. :)

Seasonticketholder
05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Bush is not a bust. He's a guy that just cannot stay healthy. When healthy, he produces. That what makes him a disappointment. That he cannot stay healthy is frustrating and yet he continues to be an integral part of the Saints' team.

That said, Bush will be in back in the black and gold this year. He's not going anywhere, trust me.

Splat
05-03-2011, 07:04 PM
That said, Bush will be in back in the black and gold this year. He's not going anywhere, trust me.

"It's been fun New Orleans" ~ Reggie Bush

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Bush is more of a tease than a bust in the truest sense of the word for me. He hasn't lived up to expectations at all, but he's shown flashes of being the guy that was impossible to stop in college at times as well. It's time for him to get out of New Orleans for sure though.

stephenson86
05-03-2011, 07:06 PM
"It's been fun New Orleans" ~ Reggie Bush

He will be, he just needs to be reassured of where he stands.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Bush is more of a tease than a bust in the truest sense of the word for me. He hasn't lived up to expectations at all, but he's shown flashes of being the guy that was impossible to stop in college at times as well. It's time for him to get out of New Orleans for sure though.

Really sucks, he really does tease us before one of his body parts shatters :(

I want him back though.

Splat
05-03-2011, 07:09 PM
He will be, he just needs to be reassured of where he stands.

And being asked to take a pay cut is very reassuring.

stephenson86
05-03-2011, 07:11 PM

I'm pretty sure he said he was willing to take one?

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Reggie already said he's taking a paycut, that's not even an issue. People are so negative about him.

Seasonticketholder
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, Bush made a tweet. It's call being human. But I am telling you that he'll be back on the team. You can base your opinion on the tweet, I'll based my opinion on what I hear from the people who make the decisions on Airline Drive. Take it for what it is worth.

As others have stated, Bush acknowledged himself the need to restructure the deal and take a paycut.

I'm pretty sure he said he was willing to take one?

This.

Reggie already said he's taking a paycut, that's not even an issue. People are so negative about him.

And this.

J52
05-03-2011, 10:49 PM
He's a bust in fans minds because it's the era of fantasy praise. He's twice as dynamic and impactful as his stats tell you. He's still a relative bust, but he's not 2000 yards in 5 years bad.

cunningham06
05-04-2011, 02:06 AM

This is possibly the worst logic I've ever seen and demonstrates little to no understanding of football. If you honestly believe that I pity you. The Barry Sanders reference mentioned above is a good example of how one player can't make or break a team. The Texans piss poor secondary is what prevented Houston's defense from improving, not because of some lack of impact from Mario Williams. Mario was a great decision and has been, for the most part, excellent during his time in Houston.

soybean
05-04-2011, 02:41 AM
This is possibly the worst logic I've ever seen and demonstrates little to no understanding of football. If you honestly believe that I pity you. The Barry Sanders reference mentioned above is a good example of how one player can't make or break a team. The Texans piss poor secondary is what prevented Houston's defense from improving, not because of some lack of impact from Mario Williams. Mario was a great decision and has been, for the most part, excellent during his time in Houston.

except that IamCanadian was referencing the defense not the ENTIRE team like STRIP did.

A better plausible argument would have been Mario in terms of the Texans front line defense vs. sanders in terms of Detroit's Running game (vs. others the same season).

Just playing devil's advocate.

I would like to see Bush on the Jets though! A lot of you hate Rex Ryan but he's the perfect coach that doesn't give a damn who Reggie Bush is or suppose to be and that's the exact kind of coach you want.

draftgod
05-04-2011, 02:54 AM
There are at least 20 other players that you could argue did more to earn that ring for the Saints than Reggie did.

And this canadian guy runs his own site lol

CJSchneider
05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
In regards to Bush's performance and his draft expectations, I think people who feel he is a disappointment look purely at his stats. What many fail to see is that due to Bush's skill set and the synergistic effect he has on his team, he is an integral part of Payton's offensive scheme. Players are drafted to help teams win and there is no denying that Bush has filled that expectation.

Jughead10
05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
In regards to Bush's performance and his draft expectations, I think people who feel he is a disappointment look purely at his stats. What many fail to see is that due to Bush's skill set and the synergistic effect he has on his team, he is an integral part of Payton's offensive scheme. Players are drafted to help teams win and there is no denying that Bush has filled that expectation.

But I think it's more Payton's offensive scheme. Bush's skill set isn't so rare that the Saints can't find someone to do the same thing much later in a draft or for much cheaper. Bottom line is people expected Reggie Bush to be a superstar like Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers. Not to be a decoy pass catching receiver in a complicated offensive scheme. He's not a complete bust but has no way lived up to the draft status.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 10:20 AM
*yawn*

someone let me know when reggie bush is more than a name brand eric metcalf.

He was supposed to be a designer label Metcalf at the least :(

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Scott Shanle is an awesome starting LB, we won the superbowl.

CJSchneider
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
But I think it's more Payton's offensive scheme. Bush's skill set isn't so rare that the Saints can't find someone to do the same thing much later in a draft or for much cheaper. Bottom line is people expected Reggie Bush to be a superstar like Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers. Not to be a decoy pass catching receiver in a complicated offensive scheme. He's not a complete bust but has no way lived up to the draft status.

I won't deny that as a #2 overall pick, many have and still do expect more. Injuries surely had a a play in his career performance as well.

the_dark_knight
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I think there may be places bush could go where he has more individual production but I dont think there is any other place where he brings more to a team. Id be really bummed to see bush go elsewhere.

Me too, I've loved watching the Saints try to force the ball to him against the Falcons with little to no success.

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Me too, I've loved watching the Saints try to force the ball to him against the Falcons with little to no success.

LOL, Reggie averages 4.6 yards a carry and has 5 touchdowns in 7 games against Atlanta.

In the games where he is "forced the ball" and gets 10 carries or more, he averages almost 4.7 a carry.

We are 7-0 when Reggie plays against Atlanta, 1-2 without him.

:)

wordofi
05-04-2011, 11:02 AM

The red flags should have popped up from his college days because he didn't run between the tackles and his athleticism overwhelmed his opponents. I haven't watched college football all that long, but he was the greatest college player I've ever seen. Who else in that last 10 years has averaged over 9 ypc?

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Also, I don't have a stat on hand, but Reggie averages more yards up the middle than on outside runs, and I'd bet it's by a LOT.

It's his outside running that hasn't translated, that's been the issue, but the Saints don't run to the edges well.

It's not surprising, our guards are dominant, and our tackles suck in the run game.

Reggie's YPC skyrocketed when he was used like a normal HB, and they stopped trying to use extended tosses, pitches, and trick plays to get him on the perimeter.

prock
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM

What a troll.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Reggie being a bust or not is just a semantics issue. We've all been over it a billion times since he's been drafted, there's no sense doing it again. It's pretty clear he wasn't worth the 2nd pick, but it's also pretty clear he has a positive impact on the Saints. Whether that's a bust or not, everyone has a different opinion.

I think if he can stay healthy though, that most people here would love having him on their team for the right price. Can't say that about a guy like Jamarcus. Well actually, I would like Jamarcus on my team because he's probably still better than Brady Quinn :)

wicket
05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
LOL, Reggie averages 4.6 yards a carry and has 5 touchdowns in 7 games against Atlanta.

In the games where he is "forced the ball" and gets 10 carries or more, he averages almost 4.7 a carry.

here you see what reggie does, he just makes a difference.

when we had reggie, shockey and heath evans on the field you really had no idea what you were going to get and guys like Colston subsequently flourished as they got less attention.

niel89
05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
He's isn't a bust, just a vast disappointment at #2. The Gale Sayers comparisons were a little too much. Bush was just a larger than life prospect coming. He is still on a roster contributing in a very positive way so he can't be a bust.

Halsey
05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Bush was supposed to be a TD machine and he's scored 33 TDs in 5 seasons. He really opened things up for his team when he carried it 5 times for 12 yards in the playoff loss to Seattle. He's supposed to open things up for teammates, but he must be doing it from the sidelines a lot, because that's where he often is when the Saints have the ball.

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Bush was supposed to be a TD machine and he's scored 33 TDs in 5 seasons. He really opened things up for his team when he carried it 5 times for 12 yards in the playoff loss to Seattle. He's supposed to open things up for teammates, but he must be doing it from the sidelines a lot, because that's where he often is when the Saints have the ball.

Reggie plays the most snaps, when all guys are healthy. :) Reggie doesn't have a lot of touchdowns, but he doesn't have a lot of touches. His touch/touchdown ratio compares well with great players I bet.

Think what you want guys, but please stop coming with false statements :)

Halsey
05-04-2011, 03:04 PM
What false statement did I make? Oh, you mean when I said "He really opened things up for his team when he carried it 5 times for 12 yards in the playoff loss to Seattle". That was sarcasm.

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM
The statement that he's on the sidelines when the Saints have the ball. He's on the sidelines less than the other backs.

Unless you meant when he isn't healthy, I'll let you backtrack and take that stance as a bailout.

Edit: The Falcons have never beat Reggie Bush. That is satisfying.

Halsey
05-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Can't beat him if he's not on the field. Maybe the Saints should move him to WR, because he's not built to play RB in the NFL. He'd be a solid #4 WR.

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
7-0 baby.

Perfect record against the falcons, two NFC championships, and a perfect superbowl record.

Reggie=Falcons killer, look how mad yall is

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2009/12/13/Saints_Falcons_Foot_t607.jpg

U mad?

SaintsMan
05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I really hope we keep Bush. I think he'll have his best season since 2006 with a legit franchise RB like Ingram commanding respect from defenses. Add in Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory and everyone should stay fresh.

Seasonticketholder
05-04-2011, 08:22 PM

pwned!

The statement that he's on the sidelines when the Saints have the ball. He's on the sidelines less than the other backs.

Unless you meant when he isn't healthy, I'll let you backtrack and take that stance as a bailout.

Edit: The Falcons have never beat Reggie Bush. That is satisfying.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2009/12/13/Saints_Falcons_Foot_t607.jpg

U mad?

pwned squared!

And, yes, he's mad! The Falcons cannot beat Reggie Bush. Halsey can cite Bush's numbers against Seattle all he likes. But when he cites the Falcons W-L record against Bush, his team never leaves the loser column!

GaMeTiMe
05-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Surprised we haven't heard the possibility of him to Seattle in this thread yet. I think Pete Carrol is ready to make the phone call as soon as the lock-out is lifted.

Seasonticketholder
05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Surprised we haven't heard the possibility of him to Seattle in this thread yet. I think Pete Carrol is ready to make the phone call as soon as the lock-out is lifted.

He can pick it up all he wants, the Saints will tell him "no." And if he's waiting for Bush to be cut, it's not happening. If the Saints want to cut Bush, they would have done it when they released Shockey. But will be in the black and gold this year.

J-Mike88
05-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Don't hit Falcon Fan with facts like that. Besides, those Falcons had the NFC's best regular season record last year and were the #1 seed. lol

bitonti
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Busts dont get super bowl rings.

Saints-Tigers
05-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Come on nah, that's the worst argument there is. Plenty of busts have rings.

Though I will say, it's not a coincidence that the best two seasons in Saint's not so rich history are Reggie's healthiest and most productive seasons.

Splat
05-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Child please.

bigbuc
05-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Child please.

HAHAHAHAH lol

Abaddon
05-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Well, I for one thought Bush was going to be a better version of Marshall Faulk. When I judge his talents, even today, I still think he's got it in him to be like that.

el oh el x1000

Iamcanadian
05-07-2011, 09:12 AM
\

Obviously, he isn't worth the money he is scheduled to get and will have to take a huge pay cut to stay in the NFL with the Saints or with another team.
Players like Bush are rarer than you think, but health has become an issue for Bush. If he's healthy, he is one of the top punt returners in the game as well as a creator of space for an offense.
I completely agree, he wasn't worth the #2 overall pick in the draft but he isn't a bust, he is a very effective player for NO and they don't want to lose him.

marks01234
05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
He was a bust - flat out. Maybe not on Vince Young level or Jamaracus Russell level but he's on Robert Gallery level.

He is unique player who also happens to be a fumble waiting to happen on the field. He does a poor job following blocks and still plays like he is the fastest player on the field. I don't believe his conditioning is up to par with NFL running backs either.

I wouldn't re-sign him. I think you are better off with a guy you can depend on in NO.

deepthoughtlife
05-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Everyone can argue about what they want to call him, #2 is a very high expectations pick, but I know this: Reggie Bush can flat out embarrass Pat Willis like it's nothing. The best player on the Niners by far, one of the best in the league, and Bush makes him look like an idiot*.

He hasn't been what it was believed he would be by many, but he still has some of those same abilities. I think you could find a way to use him to make your team far better, even if he isn't going to be 'the guy'.

If you don't think he should make your roster, that's just stupid. If the money is half reasonable, pay him. If you don't there are plenty of other teams willing to do so; he would be a sought after free agent.

*Which was a bit disheartening as a Niners fan.

Caddy
05-08-2011, 05:05 AM
I like what the poster above said about comparing him to Gallery. They both busted at the position they were supposed to succeed at, but they have both been pretty successful when asked to do different things.

Watchman
05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't consider Bush a bust, more of a gigantic reach.

As has already been said by many Reggie Bush = Eric Metcalf.

A nice player, but not worth the 2nd overall pick.

Saints-Tigers
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
REggie Bush and Eric Metcalf are only alike in that they line up at RB and split out wide. They aren't even utilized that similarly. I realize it's probably the closest comparison, but Reggie's usage is fairly unique.

Splat
05-10-2011, 03:53 PM
He was a bust - flat out. Maybe not on Vince Young level or Jamaracus Russell level but he's on Robert Gallery level.

Vince Young is in no way a bust he was rookie of the year and has played in a few pro bowls and I know that PB voting is a joke but still. I know what is going on with him as of late makes it easy to forget but the guy has alot of W's under his belt as a starter.

Putting him on the same level as Russell is a joke.

Saints-Tigers
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Reggie is used in more running situations, and is more effective in that role.

Metcalf is used down the field more often, as a legitimate deep threat, as well as underneath.

The Saints run almost 0 designed throws to Reggie Bush, there are really about 3 different places he catches the ball.

1) He stays in to block and after he gets his first chip, he turns around and looks for a pass, usually right behind the linemen.

2) He splits the line and gets right in between the LB corps and turns. This is usually an option route, where he breaks off if Brees is scrambling left or right

3) He lines up in the slot and goes, at most 1-2 steps forward, and the other receivers get out in front.

Reggie is the "safe" option, the check on virtually every pass. Brees is always looking deep, he wants to go downfield and break the other team's back, but when the deep ball is covered up, we dump it underneath and know we can get 6-7 yards with Reggie, and maybe a big play out of it. It's a big reason for BRees' completion percentage always being stellar, and the reason we operate so well at getting to 2nd and 3rd and short, or converting 3rd downs.

Metcalf is similar, but he really didn't run as well, and when he was split out, he was thrown to down the field more often, and used like a true WR, much like we used Reggie in a few games in his rookie year (Chicago game comes to mind in the playoffs).

That's the biggest critique I've had about our staff's usage of Bush (outside of the mind boggling amount of toss and pitch plays that always end badly, and the lack of power runs up the gut that work well). The lack of downfield throws to Bush, who works so well as a true WR.

Reggie's lack of ability between the tackles is way overstated, it's his lack of ability on the edges that has hurt him.

General Zod
05-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Bush and Skip Bayless are having a tweeter war right now thats pretty amusing. Although I know Skip Bayless isnt well liked around here(I actually like him), I think its funny about how sensitive Bush is to even mild criticism.

yodabear
05-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Come on man, they won a ring with Pierre Thomas, yes Pierre Thomas being the #1 running back.

yodabear
05-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Bush and Skip Bayless are having a tweeter war right now thats pretty amusing. Although I know Skip Bayless isnt well liked around here(I actually like him), I think its funny about how sensitive Bush is to even mild criticism.

Skip is growing on me. Yeah, he annoys the hell out of me. But I must ask...what has he been wrong on where he has taken a controversal role? T.O.....he has been dead on about him. LeBron....he has been dead on to this point about him (yeah, pains me to say that). Seems to me now, he is right about Reggie. So Skip is growing on me.

Halsey
05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Bush is sensitive because he knows Skip is right. Skip is better at his job than Bush ever will be at his. Skip may not be as good at sports as Bush, but he's better at things like speaking, forming an argument and not relying on sophomoric attacks on a guy's name.

Saints-Tigers
05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Bush was part of a great team. Skip is the leader of a garbage team.

Skip alienates his own teammates regularly, and has a me first attitude.

Reggie has been all team since he got here.

Skip likes men.

Namy
05-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Whether or not Skip's criticisms on Reggie Bush are valid is up for debate. But Reggie's responses to Skip via Twitter is exposing his immaturity. Taunting a sports news writer and challenging him to a weight-lifting contest is a foolish way of responding to media criticism.

If anything, Reggie's recent string of tweets only reaffirms Skip's position that Bush's value is declining (fast).

On another note, I miss the days when it was Stephen A Smith vs. Skip Bayless and Woody Paige vs. Skip Bayless. THAT was entertainment!

niel89
05-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Looking at it from a little distance, Bush looks like a D-bag. Guys on tv are going to criticize him and he can't take it personally and challenge them to a physical challenge each time. I hate Skip so much but his job is to be controversial and to generate interest by any means. Just keep working Bush and show these guys on the field. Some athletes just shouldn't have twitter.

Complex
05-12-2011, 12:56 AM
I almost forgot about 1st and 10 that's the name of the show right? Anyone know what he said about Jay Cutler after that playoff game when he hurt his knee? cause he used to have a hard on for Jay.

General Zod
05-14-2011, 12:35 AM
I almost forgot about 1st and 10 that's the name of the show right? Anyone know what he said about Jay Cutler after that playoff game when he hurt his knee? cause he used to have a hard on for Jay.

Yeah cause they both went to Vandy. I dont think he said to much, I just remember him saying lets all wait and see what the tests say before you make judgements blah blah.

Not a big shocker that he's already said that if there is a season that he thinks the Bears could win the NFC over GB.

Seasonticketholder
05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Bush is sensitive because he knows Skip is right. Skip is better at his job than Bush ever will be at his. Skip may not be as good at sports as Bush, but he's better at things like speaking, forming an argument and not relying on sophomoric attacks on a guy's name.

Reggie is good at beating the Falcons. 7-0. He sucks so much that he knows just how to beat the pathetic Dirty Birds. And I can name several players on the Falcons teams who are not as good at their jobs as Reggie or Skip: Jamaal Anderson, Peria Jerry, Sam Baker, Harry Douglas, etc. Atlanta better hope that Sean Weatherspoon gets his act together and shows more in year 2 than he did in year 1.

Ghost of Juice
05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
I think everyone can agree he was not worth the #2 overall pick. If he wasn't hyped so much like being compared to Marshall Faulk and Gale Sayers and was taken late first early second no one would consider him a bust.

After his last year at USC I was really exited and wanted to see him become one of the greats but after one year in the NFL he entered my top 5 most disliked players list. One of the things that angered me most about him coming out was he was really full of himself. He acted like he was already one of the best players in the NFL before he even got drafted. I remember before he was drafted he was on the best damn sports show and he compared himself to LT and other greats. He didn't come across as a humble guy, which is fine if you can back it up. Another thing that really pissed me off was in the playoffs against the bears when he had that long run and taunted Brian Urlacher. He's a rookie taunting one of the best defenders in the league you don't do that I don't care who you are. The next time he had the ball he saw Urlacher coming and slid to the ground. From that moment on I have had an extreme dislike for him.

He couldn't have been drafted into a better situation to succeed. You have Sean Payton's wide open and creative offense with one of the best QBs in the league. There is plenty of running room I think Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory could tell you that. Theres no excuse for him not to be able to put up good numbers.

People have excuses like well everyone on defense has their eye on this guy so they make sure he doesn't make a play but i'm pretty sure everyone on defense knows where Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson are at all times but yet they find a way to dominate. Also I think when a defense gameplans for the Saints their number one concern is stopping Brees but you know what it usually doesn't work out. IMO the Saints offense looked much better and more in sync when he was hurt and they weren't forcing plays for him.

Overall hes still a solid player but no doubt a huge disappointment. I think he has always been more concerned about living the lifestyle of a superstar over actually becoming one.