PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Safeties

J-Mike88
05-03-2011, 08:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27282/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-safeties

ESPN, looks like it just came out today and I don't see a thread on it already.

Ranking the Safeties

1. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens
3. Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers
4. Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals
5. Eric Berry, Kansas City Chiefs
6. Michael Griffin, Tennessee Titans
7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills
8. B. Meriweather, New England Patriots
9. Antrel Rolle, New York Giants
10. LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins
10. Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Rahim Moore > Eric Berry. I learned that here.

Hurricanes25
05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Merriweather seems a bit high.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Yep. Dude needs to lay off the wacky tobacky.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Yep. Dude needs to lay off the wacky tobacky.

*** joke. And not to start a feud or anything but I would rank Reed higher than Troy.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
*** joke. And not to start a feud or anything but I would rank Reed higher than Troy.

Maybe when Reed is actually on the field.

p.s. I was hoping my joke to be rated 5 stars, but 3 isn't bad.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Eric Berry is way too high. I would put Antrel Rolle and Bethea 4 and 5, with A-Dub moved up to 5.Meriweather and Whitner have no business being there. I would put Tanard Jackson in the top 10, but it is understandable if they aren't there.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm really surprised Berry is ranked that high.

Splat
05-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Eric Berry is a freaking animal. I admit he still needs to work on his pass coverage but this kid is going to be special. His play from the start of the season to the end is night and day.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Eric Berry is a freaking animal. I admit he still needs to work on his pass coverage but this kid is going to be special. His play from the start of the season to the end is night and day.

Not to be a homer or anything but Earl thomas did a pretty good job considering how bad our defense was last year

Splat
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Not to be a homer or anything but Earl thomas did a pretty good job considering how bad our defense was last year

Don't disagree. For the record I don't have a problem with people saying Berry isn't top 5 but I have no doubt he is on his way to being just that.

J255979-11nine
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Hahaha. ESPN is a joke.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I mean....tis fine thinking Berry will get there one day, but to say he is a top 5 safety now is ludicrous

bored of education
05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
If you pay attention to these rankings as some sort of true merit of ones actual rankings..kill yourself

Berry was top 10 this year alone though.

Splat
05-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I mean....tis fine thinking Berry will get there one day, but to say he is a top 5 safety now is ludicrous

You make it sound like he sucks. He is easily top 10 right now.

bored of education
05-03-2011, 09:33 PM
this guy kinda reminds me of

http://www.foundhistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/mortons-salt.jpg

CrankthatCrabtree
05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
You make it sound like he sucks. He is easily top 10 right now.

I wouldn't say he is easily top 10. I would say he right around the 7-12 range, but likely there.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Hahaha. ESPN is a joke.

Eh, outside of Meriweather and Whitner being too high, the list has most of the key guys and you could debate rankings within. I'd be interested to see some other lists of people to see their opinions, then we can all say their lists are jokes when others disagree. Not to single you out, but your input was useless.

I remember the good old days when Kerry Rhodes was in the discussions....then he became more model than football player. I didn't watch many Zona games, but i heard whispers his game was coming back. Any merit to this from those who subjected themselves to Cardinal games??

Berry, regardless of being a rookie, was playing very high level play at the end of the season. Giving the standard rookie transition period, i have no considerable beefs with him being where he is projected in the standings.

I also agree that Earl Thomas is on the cusp of the list. He impressed me any time i watched the Seahawks. Has an Ed Reed quality to his game (in no way comparing him directly to Reed at this point, just saying i saw many similar qualities).

Matthew Jones
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Meriweather isn't even the best on his team - before getting hurt Chung was lights-out.

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Holy crap Merri is overrated. As ROP said, wasn't even the best safety on the team last year. In fact, he played like absolute crap. So much so that he was benched for the early part of the season because he flat out didn't know the plays/want to go with the scheme. I wouldn't be surprised to see him given the boot once the season starts, if we can get anything of value for him.

coordinator0
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Maybe when Reed is actually on the field.

p.s. I was hoping my joke to be rated 5 stars, but 3 isn't bad.

Yeah, because Polamalu has been the model of health lately.

jsagan77
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Laron Landry should be #4. If he wouldn't have gotten injured last year he may have had a shot at DPOY.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, because Polamalu has been the model of health lately.

I was going to say this but I really didn't feel like arguing with him.

Splat
05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
It's so hard for me to pick between Troy and Ed. They are clearly 1 and 2 but if you ask me every day for a week I might pick a different guy every day.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I forgot Troy missed a lot of games too. Shut up.

Complex
05-03-2011, 11:52 PM
LaRon should be rated higher and Earl Thomas should be on this list.

Hurricanes25
05-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I remember the good old days when Kerry Rhodes was in the discussions....then he became more model than football player. I didn't watch many Zona games, but i heard whispers his game was coming back. Any merit to this from those who subjected themselves to Cardinal games??

I saw a few Zona games last year and Rhodes definitely played better than how he played during his final year with the Jets. He still was not back to pro bowl caliber form, though.

fenikz
05-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Rhodes was better than Wilson so ipso facto Rhodes should be #4

J-Mike88
05-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I forgot Troy missed a lot of games too. Shut up.
Wow, again.
Stay classy Halsey.

Troy & Ed are 1a & 1b, but I'm glad they have Nick Collins up there where he belongs.
He may not have a big mouth, big hair, or be from The U, but he's been reliable and a playmaker for a good 4 years now, and luckily hasn't gotten the injury bug half the team had and Polamalu & Reed have had. And Bob Sanders had.

Where would Sean Taylor be fellas, if he wasn't gunned down inside his home?
#3?

TACKLE
05-04-2011, 09:46 PM
It's only a matter of time before Urric Burry is the best in the game.

scottyboy
05-04-2011, 10:07 PM
i wish more than anything Kenny Phillips didn't get hurt. When healthy he's better than Antrel Rolle.
and whitner.
and merriweather

boknows34
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Quinton Mikell and Eric Weddle deserve Top 10.

J-Mike88
05-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Is this the hardest position to stay healthy?
Think about the recent best 3?

Polamalu
Reed
Sanders

Remember, Sanders was the DPOY when he was healthy... he was legit great.
Reed & Polamalu are truly great, but both have been injured a lot the past few years too.

Saints-Tigers
05-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Tacklers are more valued than cover guys on this list it seems.

JBCX
05-04-2011, 11:02 PM
This list is a complete joke.

Eric Berry #5? He shows some promise but no way is he even in the top 10 based on his rookie year alone. Maybe he'll crack the top 10 / top 5 safety list next year, but this is way premature.

Any list of top safeties in the NFL that doesn't include Quintin Mikell is absolutely a farce, imho.

Similarly, any list that *includes* Meriweather is a sad joke.

CashmoneyDrew
05-04-2011, 11:52 PM
This list is a complete joke.

Eric Berry #5? He shows some promise but no way is he even in the top 10 based on his rookie year alone. Maybe he'll crack the top 10 / top 5 safety list next year, but this is way premature.

Any list of top safeties in the NFL that doesn't include Quintin Mikell is absolutely a farce, imho.

Similarly, any list that *includes* Meriweather is a sad joke.

Berry was voted a top 100 player by his peers after just his rookie year. I think he's definitely top 10. Who cares if he's only been in the league one year? It's a "what have you done for me lately" league anyways.

Splat
05-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Eric Berry #5? He shows some promise but no way is he even in the top 10 based on his rookie year alone.

Name 10 better.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Berry was absolutely one of the best safeties in the NFL last year and no one gives a **** if he's a rookie either. He was the only player on that Chiefs' defense that showed up in that playoff game. Flashed time after time. Special player in every sense of the word.

ChiFan24
05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Are there two Donte Whitners? Why haven't I heard of the one that doesn't suck?

SuperMcGee
05-05-2011, 01:07 AM
7. Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgbj6dMOzl1qf8yek.gif

I know the consensus here is that that is too high, but it doesn't seem like there are as many standout safeties as I thought there were. Good number of promising younger guys, and there really aren't going to be that many that can dominate anyway, but it still underwhelmed me.

wicket
05-05-2011, 02:14 AM
malcolm jenkins should be either on that list of mighty close

ChiFan24
05-05-2011, 03:51 AM
I know the consensus here is that that is too high, but it doesn't seem like there are as many standout safeties as I thought there were. Good number of promising younger guys, and there really aren't going to be that many that can dominate anyway, but it still underwhelmed me.

I have a theory that being a good safety in today's NFL is a lot more difficult than people give it credit for. Everybody thinks every safety sucks. That's why I appreciated the Bears duo last year. Chris Harris made a ton of plays and Danieal Manning was very responsible in coverage. Can't ask for much more than that.

With all that said......Donte Whitner isn't even close to the seventh best safety in football....actually, isn't Jairus Byrd better?

bigbluedefense
05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
It's a shame that Kenny Phillips's athleticism has been sapped since his microfracture surgery. The guy was going to be so special. Easily wouldve been top 5 in the league if he was healthy.

Rolle has been solid. Great in the box, great blitzer, very good in man coverage. And solid as single high. I want to see him do a better job in Tampa 2 coverage though. He struggles picking up his assignment in Tampa.

He's in a good spot on that list.

Whitner being on the list is a joke.

Pat Sims 90
05-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Polamalu really got exposed in the Superbowl i still think Ed Reed is the better safety.

fear the elf
05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Question to those more knowledgeable and less biased than I; where would TJ Ward fall in a list like this? Top 20? Top 30? Browns fans love him and think he's going to be pretty good, but I never hear anyone else mention him.

Thanks in advance.

no bare feet
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Wow, again.
Stay classy Halsey.

Troy & Ed are 1a & 1b, but I'm glad they have Nick Collins up there where he belongs.
He may not have a big mouth, big hair, or be from The U, but he's been reliable and a playmaker for a good 4 years now, and luckily hasn't gotten the injury bug half the team had and Polamalu & Reed have had. And Bob Sanders had.

Where would Sean Taylor be fellas, if he wasn't gunned down inside his home?
#3?

I hate the what if game, but I will try it on this one. I think ST would be number 1. The guy was just finally coming into his own, and wit the progress of LL that would have allowed him to become even more dangerous. I would have imagined an average year for ST at about 110 tackles, 6-8 ints, 12-15 PDs, 4 FFS. In his final season where he only played 9 games: 42 tackles, 9 PDs, 5 ints, 1 FF. He was really starting to learn the position and understand the game. He was becoming more than just a sick athlete with pads.

SenorGato
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd bump Rolle up tbh....He's a very skilled and versatile safety...and his toughness tends to get underrated, possibly because he's a former CB. Either way, he hits hard, plays hard, and talks hard. Reminds me of Deon Grant a little...the best is that there's more to come because he's relatively new to the safety position.

Honestly, without that stupid Final 4 rule he'd be a Jet, and he'd probably be even nastier.

Sucks that Sean Taylor isn't alive to be #1. I'm bored of Reed and Troy P. dominating the rankings while disappearing for half the season at a time. If they were allowed to play together I think Taylor and Landry would be 1 and 2....Anyway, Berry's a stud, and Thomas, Chung, and Ward will also be in these rankings soon enough.

SuperMcGee
05-05-2011, 09:50 AM
With all that said......Donte Whitner isn't even close to the seventh best safety in football....actually, isn't Jairus Byrd better?

Honestly, no. Byrd did very little last year and was greatly helped by Aaron Schobels beast season before that.

Whitner or Bryan Scott was our best safety last year, and George Wilson the year before that.

K Train
05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Hahaha. ESPN is a joke.

i like how thats the first reaction when you dont agree with them. HA espns rankings dont match mine, they suck

rankings look fine, theres always gonna be debate over a few who could possibly be swapped.

i dont really think merriweather should be that high personally

AntoinCD
05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I'd bump Rolle up tbh....He's a very skilled and versatile safety...and his toughness tends to get underrated, possibly because he's a former CB. Either way, he hits hard, plays hard, and talks hard. Reminds me of Deon Grant a little...the best is that there's more to come because he's relatively new to the safety position.

Honestly, without that stupid Final 4 rule he'd be a Jet, and he'd probably be even nastier.

Sucks that Sean Taylor isn't alive to be #1. I'm bored of Reed and Troy P. dominating the rankings while disappearing for half the season at a time. If they were allowed to play together I think Taylor and Landry would be 1 and 2....Anyway, Berry's a stud, and Thomas, Chung, and Ward will also be in these rankings soon enough.

I didnt want to be a homer and be the first to mention Pat Chung, especially since some of his biggest plays have come on STs, however he will be a top 10 safety very soon and is already a much better player than Merriweather

K Train
05-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Polamalu really got exposed in the Superbowl i still think Ed Reed is the better safety.

polamalu got "exposed" all year since he was hurt and plays terrible whenever hes hurt, the corners are the ones that got raped in the superbowl

i like how a bad game exposes a great player for a lifetime label of mediocrity now

keylime_5
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
whitner is underappreciated, but he's probably not top 10. then again neither is earl thomas despite having a good rookie year. Malcolm Jenkins should be in the top 5, he was the saints best defender last year no?

wicket
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
whitner is underappreciated, but he's probably not top 10. then again neither is earl thomas despite having a good rookie year. Malcolm Jenkins should be in the top 5, he was the saints best defender last year no?

jenkins>ellis>vilma>>>>>>>porter>greer>smith>>>>>>harper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the rest just flat out sucked

zachsaints52
05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I wouldnt say Top 5, but Jenkins is also learning the position and is gonna be scary good.

Jimmy
05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
in 4/5 years
1. Eric Berry
2a. Malcolm Jenkins
2b. Earl Thomas
3. Nick Collins
4. LaRon Landry
5. Michael Griffin
6. Patrick Chung
7. TJ Ward
8. Antoine Bethea
9.Jarius Byrd
10. Antrel Rolle

CashmoneyDrew
05-06-2011, 04:42 PM
in 4/5 years
1. Eric Berry
2a. Malcolm Jenkins
2b. Earl Thomas
3. Nick Collins
4. LaRon Landry
5. Michael Griffin
6. Patrick Chung
7. TJ Ward
8. Antoine Bethea
9.Jarius Byrd
10. Antrel Rolle

I feel extremely comfortable saying that 4-5 years from now only 3-4 of those guys will be top 10 safeties.

Jimmy
05-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I feel extremely comfortable saying that 4-5 years from now only 3-4 of those guys will be top 10 safeties.

these guys average 24.3 years old right now (compared to an average age of 26.3 of the top safeties today). in 5 years, they will be 29, in their primes. how does that figure? just curious, i can understand maybe 4 of them burning out... but who else?

1. Eric Berry
2a. Malcolm Jenkins
2b. Earl Thomas
3. Nick Collins
4. LaRon Landry
5. Michael Griffin
6. Patrick Chung
7. TJ Ward
8. Antoine Bethea
9.Jarius Byrd
10. Antrel Rolle

CashmoneyDrew
05-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I just think that the shelf life for good NFL players is so short. Whether it's through fluke/injury/new guys/schematic changes/lack of progression etc... I just think, especially at a position like safety, that there isn't much stability in rankings over time. I'd like to see a top 10 safety ranking from 4-5 years ago and I bet we'd be really surprised at what that looked like.

Jimmy
05-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I just think that the shelf life for good NFL players is so short. Whether it's through fluke/injury/new guys/schematic changes/lack of progression etc... I just think, especially at a position like safety, that there isn't much stability in rankings over time. I'd like to see a top 10 safety ranking from 4-5 years ago and I bet we'd be really surprised at what that looked like.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13983&highlight=safety%2C+safeties

i meant to include this in my original post.
from 07
Sean Taylor
Ed Reed
Adrian Wilson
Brian Dawkins
Bob Sanders
Kerry Rhodes
Troy Polamalu
Roy Williams (Only a joke)
Michael Huff

first, let's agree to omit huff and williams. back then, nobody in their right mind ranked them top 10. that leaves 7 players.

4 of 7 players from 2007 are at the top today (if we can agree that sean taylor would be at the top. so you are sorta right. 4 players.

still, had that list been constructed a little better (so huff and roy williams were excluded.) and had they listed 10 guys instead of 7, I think we'd be looking at at around 5-6 guys still on the list.

even more, those guys averaged 26.3 back in '07, and my guys are only 24.3 present day, so you could make the argument for 1-2 more based on increased shelf life, putting the total at around 6-8 players there in 5 years. overthought on my part, but nonetheless, I'd think at least 6 of them will be there.

JBCX
05-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't know why people constantly rate Earl Thomas so highly.

If you watched any Seahawks games last year you'd be thoroughly unimpressed by Thomas. He may improve, but he was *not* good at all last year. He constantly blew coverage and missed tackles. He was dragged along for a ride by any RB weighing more than 200lbs.

Berry, on the other hand, showed flashes of brilliance, but did not play on a consistent level. He did play extremely well in the Chiefs' playoff loss to the Ravens, however. If he plays at that level consistently in the future, he truly will be a top 5 safety, but he isn't there yet.

Thomas wasn't even in the top 20 last year.

Scotty D
05-06-2011, 05:44 PM

I think Delmas has a good chance to be on that list. He played with a lingering groin injury last season and had a down year. If healthy he should go back to his rookie year form and hopefully improve on it.

XxXdragonXxX
05-10-2011, 01:02 PM

If you watched any Seahawks games last year you'd be thoroughly unimpressed by Thomas. He may improve, but he was *not* good at all last year. He constantly blew coverage and missed tackles. He was dragged along for a ride by any RB weighing more than 200lbs.

Berry, on the other hand, showed flashes of brilliance, but did not play on a consistent level. He did play extremely well in the Chiefs' playoff loss to the Ravens, however. If he plays at that level consistently in the future, he truly will be a top 5 safety, but he isn't there yet.

This makes me laugh. Sure Thomas had trouble bringing down big RBs, but he also made some great TD saving tackles, everyone knew this would be a problem before he was drafted. And yes he blew coverage a few times (not "constantly") but he's a rookie so that's expected. Berry blew plenty of coverages as well.

Both Thomas and Berry showed flashes, and made plenty of rookie mistakes. But you choose to say that Thomas was terrible and Berry showed flashes of brilliance. I just think it's funny that you takes 2 players that played at very similiar levels, and choose to pick out the mistakes of one and the "brilliance" of the other.

GaMeTiMe
05-11-2011, 02:41 AM
in 4/5 years
1. Eric Berry
2a. Malcolm Jenkins
2b. Earl Thomas
3. Nick Collins
4. LaRon Landry
5. Michael Griffin
6. Patrick Chung
7. TJ Ward
8. Antoine Bethea
9.Jarius Byrd
10. Antrel Rolle

Nate Allen.

J-Mike88
05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
In 4-5 Years:

1. Eric Berry
2a. Malcolm Jenkins
2b. Earl Thomas
3. Nick Collins
4. LaRon Landry
5. Michael Griffin
6. Patrick Chung
7. TJ Ward
8. Antoine Bethea
9. Jarius Byrd
10. Antrel Rolle

I can't see Antrel Rolle on the list in 4 years. But the other guys look about right. Ted Thompson believes Morgan Burnett will be on there.

tjsunstein
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
People get too caught up in potential and what-ifs in these discussions rather than looking at production. We all know that Earl Thomas is young but that doesn't guarantee he'll be a top safety in a couple of years. I'd like to imagine what the difference would be between Reed and Polamalu too if they weren't riddled with injuries most of their career, but they were.

someone447
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM
[url]4 of 7 players from 2007 are at the top today (if we can agree that sean taylor would be at the top. so you are sorta right. 4 players.

We can't put Sean Taylor up there. Unless we also want to put Dawkins because he would still be one of the best if he wasn't so old... There are 3 from 4 years ago that are still there. That seems to be right about the 3-4 that CashMoneyDrew was saying will be up there in 4 years.

JBCX
05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
This makes me laugh. Sure Thomas had trouble bringing down big RBs, but he also made some great TD saving tackles, everyone knew this would be a problem before he was drafted. And yes he blew coverage a few times (not "constantly") but he's a rookie so that's expected. Berry blew plenty of coverages as well.

Both Thomas and Berry showed flashes, and made plenty of rookie mistakes. But you choose to say that Thomas was terrible and Berry showed flashes of brilliance. I just think it's funny that you takes 2 players that played at very similiar levels, and choose to pick out the mistakes of one and the "brilliance" of the other.

I watched nearly every single snap (90%+ for both) of Berry and Thomas's rookie seasons, and I was highly unimpressed by Thomas and impressed by Berry in spurts. Both were mediocre in pass coverage, but that takes time for rookie safeties to learn. Thomas was hesitant and weak against the run, however, whereas Berry showed flashes of punishing, violent run-stopping ability.

Show me some evidence that both "played at similar levels", because based on my own level of game study/watching, this fails to be an accurate statement.

fear the elf
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I watched nearly every single snap (90%+ for both) of Berry and Thomas's rookie seasons, and I was highly unimpressed by Thomas and impressed by Berry in spurts. Both were mediocre in pass coverage, but that takes time for rookie safeties to learn. Thomas was hesitant and weak against the run, however, whereas Berry showed flashes of punishing, violent run-stopping ability.

Show me some evidence that both "played at similar levels", because based on my own level of game study/watching, this fails to be an accurate statement.

I'm sorry, I have to call BS. 90% of a 16 game season = 14.4 games per player. Assuming they didn't play each other (too lazy to go check) that's 28.8 ~ 29 games you watched, of teams you're not even a fan of.

Nalej
05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
lol @ Merrieweather. I don't even care to check if his name is spelled right.
Definitely #2 on the team... maybe even #3 last year behind Sanders as well.

I'd go with Ed Reed over The Hair as well as some of you.
Though I do agree it's a 1a/1b type of thing

killxswitch
05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
If the Colts get a real starting-caliber SS that can play more than 3 games at a time Bethea is going to move up that list.

JBCX
05-12-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry, I have to call BS. 90% of a 16 game season = 14.4 games per player. Assuming they didn't play each other (too lazy to go check) that's 28.8 ~ 29 games you watched, of teams you're not even a fan of.

There's this thing on satellite TV called "Shortcuts" which lets you watch games in a very efficient manner by stringing together every snap, sans commercials and close-ups and other extraneous stuff. I saw almost every game this way last year.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-12-2011, 08:33 PM
There's this thing on satellite TV called "Shortcuts" which lets you watch games in a very efficient manner by stringing together every snap, sans commercials and close-ups and other extraneous stuff. I saw almost every game this way last year.

Good for you if you did. I'd be impressed, but can't help but agree it seems highly unlikely for someone to watch that quantity without being paid to do so, especially for teams that aren't of a great deal of interest to you. There are always exceptions to the rule, but i can't blame him for questioning the comment.

descendency
05-12-2011, 09:59 PM

He was probably out back smoking.

gpngc
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Lee Flowers.

gpngc
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Thomas struggled at times as any rookie safety would (especially with a pretty awful supporting cast), but he also made some huge plays (a lot in the SD, including the game-sealing pick), started all 16 games, and was fairly consistent. And as Dragon mentioned, he wasn't a run-plugging 4th LB safety but he did fine as the last line of defense.

You need to remember that he was covering in a secondary with Lawyer freaking Milloy, Kelly Jennings, Roy Lewis, two other rookies, and an aging Trufant.

He started the season off extremely strong and hit some bumps in the road (Saints and Bucs, etc) but overall it was a very encouraging rookie season.

Flyboy
05-13-2011, 01:18 AM
malcolm jenkins should be either on that list of mighty close

He's not Top 10 yet but he definitely will be in the near future. Just pure stud.