PDA

View Full Version : Early Edge Rusher Thread

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
So we had a real good conversation early information gathering conversation the other day within the the confines of the Vontaze Burfict thread the other day...so why not stir up some early conversation about some of these pass rushers?

Top returning edge rushers with 10+ sacks last season, purely getting stats out there, no rankings

1. Bruce Irvin, Senior, West Virginia, 6'3 235

18 TT/14 TFL/ 14 Sacks

2. Brandon Jenkins, Junior, Florida State, 6'3 258

63 TT, 21.5 TFL, 13.5 Sacks

3. Jonathan Massaquoi, Junior, Troy, 6'2 251

76 TT, 20.5 TFL, 13.5 Sacks

4. Vinny Curry, Senior, Marshall, 6'5 242

93 TT, 18 TFL, 12 Sacks

5. Jamari Lattimore, Senior, Middle Tennessee, 6'3 235

68 TT, 15.0 TFL, 11.5 Sacks

6. Brandon Lindsey, Pittsburgh, Senior, 6'2 250

51 TT, 17.5 TFL, 10 Sacks

7. QuInton Coples, North Carolina, Junior, 6'6 275

59 TT, 15.5 TFL, 10 Sacks

Other notable early names that didn't make the statistical cutoff(going off extremely preliminary type stuff I've gathered here) ;

Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina, Junior, 6'4 260

49 TT, 13.5 TFL, 7 sacks

Andre Branch, Junior, Clemson, 6'5 260

54 TT, 8.5 TFL, 5 Sacks

Jacquies Smith, Senior, Missouri, 6'4 255

35 TT, 10 TFL, 5.5 Sacks

Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas, 6'5 270

32 TT, 8.5 TFL, 7 sacks

Feel free to bring up more names and share some information, specifics takes and analysis are always appreciated.

Lot of uncertainty here, no big time name to put up in lights like a Burfict or Stephon Gilmore, outside of maybe Coples. I haven't personally seen enough out of him yet to say he's anything more than a very talented, toosly player. Could be a real candidate to break out even more next season.

For me though, this class is all about Brandon Jenkins right now. He broke out in a major way for Florida State last season and displayed excellent all around athleticism to go along with a fairly above average array of pass rush moves. Very good first step off the line and pretty good functional strength. Will probably be coveted in the early goings and throughout the process by teams looking to find something off the edge in a 3-4.

So yeah, I guess I'm not giving you folks all that much to go on, but this is more for gathering and sharing information rather than ranking and the finer aspects of draftknicking we'll be doing in 350 something days.

TACKLE
05-03-2011, 09:04 PM
2012 has the potential to be a great class for 34 OLB's.

Halsey
05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Jarvis Jones.....maybe.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
That hurt's my eyes just looking at that title lol

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I totally agree. There's a lot of guys who can get into the backfield in a hurry on that list and outside of it even.

Bruce Irvin is one of the more interesting options out there right now. All he did when he was in was generate pressure and sacks...but that's literally ALL he did. He's drastically undersized on paper...and there's this.

http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000jp9D.TYlsoo/s/750/DEH-West-Virginia-v-LSU-094.JPG
Looks far more like a wide receiver at this point in his career than a pass rusher. He'll get absolutely bullied by NFL tackles at the point of attack. Maybe even some of the better NCAA tackles. One trick pony right now, but the trick he has is pretty damn good. It will be interesting to see how he shapes up.

Don Vito
05-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't want to get my hopes up, the Pats could really use one of these guys but I am just going to convince myself that it won't happen so I am not disappointed. Paige-Moss is going to blow up this year and Bruce Irvin is my favorite of the bunch by far.

OSUGiants17
05-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Only seen Coples, Paige-Moss and a little bit of Curry. Coples appears to be a legit prospect, like a top ten type of guy. Just a huge built and he plays strong yet quick. Haven't seen enough of the other two to make a real comment about them and haven't seen anyone else on this list closely yet. Looks to be a solid class on paper, but after a stacked DL class in 2011 next year should be a bit depleted at DE, DT and Edge Rusher.

OSUGiants17
05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I heard Bruce is really tiny and overplays sometimes. This true? I haven't watched him closely yet so I'm not sure if this is true or not.

ellsy82
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Sammy Brown playing OLB in Houston's 3-4 base defense.

76 TT/ 19.5 TFL /7.5 Sacks

TACKLE
05-03-2011, 09:25 PM
lol Bruce Irving. He only had 4 tackles and 0 tfl's that weren't sacks. Either he gets the sack or he does nothing.

phlysac
05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Todd Graham's new blitz happy 3-4 hybrid should prove just what type of edge rusher Brandon Lindsey really is.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4655/brandonlindsey.jpg

ElectricEye
05-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Todd Graham's new blitz happy 3-4 hybrid should prove just what type of edge rusher Brandon Lindsey really is.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4655/brandonlindsey.jpg

Lindsey is a guy I could see truly blowing up next season if the scheme agrees with him(it should). For all the talk about Sheard this year, Lindsey was the vastly superior player and probably has better physical tools to boot.

Big omission I had was Devin Taylor out of South Carolina. Had 7.5 sacks last year as a Sophomore still growing into his large frame. Could be poised for a massive high first round type of breakout this year with his athleticism and length.

Woody56
05-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Big Brandon Lindsey fan. Even more so now that Pitt will be using him kinda as a 3-4 OLB, so he'll be more prepared than most for the NFL transition.

dannyz
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Lindsey is a guy I could see truly blowing up next season if the scheme agrees with him(it should). For all the talk about Sheard this year, Lindsey was the vastly superior player and probably has better physical tools to boot.

Big omission I had was Devin Taylor out of South Carolina. Had 7.5 sacks last year as a Sophomore still growing into his large frame. Could be poised for a massive high first round type of breakout this year with his athleticism and length.

It will help that he will have Clowney on the other Side.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Two guys from Troy that could be interesting prospects...

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20101219/all/l4914077.jpg
Jonathan Massaquoi, DE, 6'2/251

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/317485.jpg
Brandon Bourdeaux, DE, 6'1/225

Big Bird
05-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Sammy Brown playing OLB in Houston's 3-4 base defense.

76 TT/ 19.5 TFL /7.5 Sacks
I'm shocked anybody else knows the name.

Sammy Brown has an excellent build and really jumps off the tape when you watch him. I don't care if the Sack numbers are generally average, the Tackle For Loss numbers are good and like I said, just watch him play, he really jumps out.

ellsy82
05-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm shocked anybody else knows the name.

Sammy Brown has an excellent build and really jumps off the tape when you watch him. I don't care if the Sack numbers are generally average, the Tackle For Loss numbers are good and like I said, just watch him play, he really jumps out.

I think sometimes 3-4 college teams get left out because most of their pass rushing linebackers are in the mold of say Von Miller/Aaron Maybin and teams don't know where to fit them on a 34 or 43 front.

Brown is not that guy. He's big, explosive, and really has a decent assortment of passrush moves for college player.

wvfan14
05-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Bruce Irvin only played in like 15 snaps per game. He was purely situational, 3rd down & passing down rusher. He still was around 2 sacks shy of Da'Quan Bowers in leading the nation in sacks - despite playing nearly 200 snaps less than Bowers.

Our D-line only features 3 men and was stacked this past season with All-Big East performers, so we had the luxury of being able to use Irvin in this role.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Our D-line only features 3 men and was stacked this past season with All-Big East performers, so we had the luxury of being able to use Irvin in this role.
Do you anticipate Irvin being used as a base end on that three man front or playing another role? That seems like it might be a real bad fit for him, regardless of gap responsibilities.

wvfan14
05-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Do you anticipate Irvin being used as a base end on that three man front or playing another role? That seems like it might be a real bad fit for him, regardless of gap responsibilities.

This season he will be starting at that end position, so he will be playing the whole game as opposed to situational pass-rushing plays last year. Our spring just concluded and the consensus out of practices and scrimmages was that he was still unblockable even on run plays - but take that with a grain of salt because our O-line leaves a lot to be desired.

Honestly I think he will do well on passing situations but will have to improve a lot still on running plays, despite his opinion that he has greatly improved in that area. He will still get his #s, although not as good as this past season. However our other 'end' Julian Miller should blow up if Irvin draws double-teams, which teams will basically have to do on 3rd-and-long situations.

Check out this highlight video of Irvin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6leAL3eK9jo), particularly his power on the bull rush @ the 2:40 mark. His upside is ridiculous, and I think he has the ability to be an effective, at least solid, run stopper. If he can couple that with his ridiculous pass rushing skills then he has a chance to shoot up the draft boards easily.