PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NFL Draft By Position - OL

OSUGiants17
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
This year has 3 very strong elite OTs that anchor a strong potential class in Matt Kalil, Jon Martin and Riley Rieff. Discuss these 3 and the rest of the class here

dannyz
05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Those guys blow all of the OT's in the 2011 Class Away. Not to mention DJ Fluker could go to the Draft as a RS Soph. Great Class of OT's.

TACKLE
05-03-2011, 11:00 PM
For the most part, the senior OT class looks awful.

keylime_5
05-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Mike Adams, senior OT from Ohio State, should be a first round pick. Not much talk about him though on the internet quite yet. He's a franchise left tackle.

Matt Kalil should be in the top 5 picks next year.

Next year's OT class is great. Makes up for the down year we had this year.

WMD
05-03-2011, 11:46 PM
I think Matt Reynolds from BYU is supposed to be up there as well.

Complex
05-03-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought BYU Matt Reynolds was rated pretty high and that Boise state kid forget his name.

marshallb
05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I thought BYU Matt Reynolds was rated pretty high and that Boise state kid forget his name.

That would be Nate Potter.

Mr. Goosemahn
05-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm also highly intrigued by Stanford's guard, David DeCastro. I'll admit, I haven't watched him too much, but I have truly liked what little I've seen of him.

no bare feet
05-04-2011, 06:59 AM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43040

This is a guy people still are not talking about.

AntoinCD
05-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I love the OT clas for next year. I have Kalil as by far the top talent with Martin and Potter next. I like Reiff but see him as a mid-late first rounder as of now

jbooshey
05-04-2011, 07:04 AM
There are two Wisconsin candidates for the draft. One who will for sure get drafted and one who probably be if he wins the job this fall.

The guarantee is OG Kevin Zeitler at 6'4" 317lbs. He has been starting forever and has been the least talked about prospect we've had in a while. He shows up does his job and does it well. Probably a mid rounder ala Urbik and Moffitt.

The question mark is OT Josh Oglesby 6'7" 311lbs. He was the number 1 ranked OL coming out of high school but has struggled with consistency, health and speed rushers. If he wins the RT spot he'll probably get drafted based on potential. Which he has always had tons of.

no bare feet
05-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Brewster, C, Ohio State is a very good OL prospect. A lot of experience, nasty demeanor, fundamentally sound.

roscoesdad27
05-04-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm also highly intrigued by Stanford's guard, David DeCastro. I'll admit, I haven't watched him too much, but I have truly liked what little I've seen of him.

Love him...the next John Hannah.

metafour
05-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Auburn OT Brandon Mosley is a real sleeper going into next year. He was a JUCO transfer that started this past season. The big draw is that he was actually playing DE/TE in HS and JUCO and only really became an OT when he got to Auburn. He initially didn't win a starting job but was forced into a starters role once AJ Greene suffered a season ending injury early. Mosley really played well given his inexperience, but the big draw is going to be the fact that this kid is an athlete and he is one of those TE-to-OT conversion types that should test really well.

Big Bird
05-04-2011, 09:46 AM
This Offensive Tackle class should be pretty solid.

Mike Adams has played like a 1st Rounder, but the suspension will hurt him.

I think the fact Matt Kalil was the Left Tackle at USC and the Right Tackle went Top 10, says a lot.

Kelechi Osemele belongs in Top 10 talk, if not Top 5. Huge kid with great feet and a good head on his shoulders. Osemele understands pass protections and doesn't get out of position. He reminds me a lot of Jason Peters.

Nate Potter was pretty average at the beginning of the season, struggling against the likes of Virginia Tech. But, he picked it up in WAC play. Product of weak competition, or is he a legit talent?

Riley Rieff is a good talent with nice size and nice athletic ability, but I think he needs to become more refined. Certainly has 1st Round talent.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I've seen a little bit of Osemele on BOE's recommendation. The kid is a mauler, that's for sure. I'm not entirely sure he sticks at LT though. Seems like more of a first round RT prospect/guard in certain schemes kind of guy to me, ala Marcus Cannon.

Babylon
05-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Second that, i think he'll be the highest picked guard in some time. Arguably the best offensive lineman in the country and chief enforcer for Andrew Luck so he'll get the exposure.

Hines
05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
OT:

1) Matt Kalil USC*
2) Jon Martin Stanford*
3) Riley Reiff Iowa
4) Mike Adams Ohio State
5) Nate Potter Boise State

OG:

1) Kelechi Osemele Iowa State
2) David DeCastro Stanford*
3) Cordy Glenn Georgia
4) Ryan Miller Colorado
5) Stephen Good Oklahoma

C:

1) Mike Brewster Ohio State
2) Petern Konz Wisconsin*
3) Ben Jones Georgia
4) William Vlachos Alabama
5) David Molk Michigan

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I love me some Stanford offensive line propspects. Both Martin and DeCastro should be really highly rated guys by the end of things.

niel89
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I love me some Stanford offensive line propspects. Both Martin and DeCastro should be really highly rated guys by the end of things.

I'm glad some Stanford guys are getting recognized. The dominance in the run game over the last 2 seasons has been unreal and it's all from the OL. We run the ball when we want to run it.

Grizzlegom
05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
The tackle class is going to have to rely on underclassmen declaring to be even half decent as guys like Potter and Reynolds are RT prospects more than LT and Adams will miss half the season because of the suspension.

Osemele is a legit 1st round OG prospect and at this point there appears to be solid depth at OG.

C should be relatively strong too with guys like Brewster, Molk, Jones, and Vlachos all looking like definite draft picks already.

UConn has some good prospects this year, particularly along the OL headlines by Mike Ryan and Moe Petrus

descendency
05-04-2011, 02:39 PM
The tackle class is going to have to rely on underclassmen declaring to be even half decent

This happens every year at every position.

We come up with lists of all draft eligible players and half decide to stay in school... then everyone says "this class sucks... wait for next year when everyone declares"

Grizzlegom
05-04-2011, 03:23 PM
This happens every year at every position.

We come up with lists of all draft eligible players and half decide to stay in school... then everyone says "this class sucks... wait for next year when everyone declares"

I wouldn't really say every position but yea, we do say that a lot but most of the time we say it and its true...

Honestly, the OT class is the only position that I feel is really weak going into the season even when only looking at seniors. As of right now, I actually think this senior class is pretty deep across the board, even at RB where we had 12 early entries into this last draft.

Would you want to use a first round pick on Nate Potter or Matt Reynolds? Now there are some guys with potential in the senior class that could change it like Trindon Sturdivant and Andrew Datko. If they have big years, it could change the weakness at the top but everyone is in agreement that Kalil, Martin, and Reiff are better prospects at this point in time than Potter, Reynolds, and Adams. Obviously there is a lot of football yet to be played and I'm sure there are a few OTs that will emerge but at this point in time, the tackle class looks really weak when only looking at the seniors.

bored of education
05-04-2011, 05:04 PM
It is so easy for people to slide KO into OG. The dude has one of the best, most efficient kick steps I seen in years. Also, once his hands are locked in, it is over. I really think he could be a true LT. He is a freak of an athlete. Only think I dont like is he plays to his competition instead of straight dominating. But he will be a 1st rounder for sure.

dannyz
05-04-2011, 06:24 PM
What do you guys think about DJ Fluker? He is going to be a RS Soph so he could Declare for the 2012 NFL Draft.

ElectricEye
05-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm curious about why Mike Adams isn't getting a whole lot of play early on. I know he built up a reputation of being a mild disappointment early in his career, but he appears to have moved past that for the most part.

JFLO
05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm curious about why Mike Adams isn't getting a whole lot of play early on. I know he built up a reputation of being a mild disappointment early in his career, but he appears to have moved past that for the most part.

I wouldn't say he's moved past that. I mean, his play did come on a bit during the latter part of the season last year, but he still is out of shape and he hasn't really translated any progression on the field. He's been reported here in Columbus to have a "not so good" work ethic and it's kinda evident on the field. However, this is basically a "contract" year for him so we could see a big performance out of him once he gets back from the suspension.

Other O-Lineman I like going into the 2012 season are:

- Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State - In my opinion, will battle with Matt Kalil all season long as the top offensive tackle. He has to perform like crazy though not only to be considered the top offensive tackle, but to be even considered an offensive tackle. Some people see him as the top guard in the draft but his athleticism and abiities could easily translate him to tackle.

- Elvis Fisher OT Missouri - He's not a Top 10 player at his position right now if you ask me, but he's the kind of player that's right outside the Top 10 that could bump himself into at least a Day 2 selection. Good lateral ability and decent footwork.

- Rokevious Watkins OL South Carolina - Supposedly moving to RT this year for the Gamecocks. Interesting to see how that'll work and it shouldn't be that bad of an outcome because a guy of Watkins' size shouldn't have footwork or agility like his.

- James Wilson OG Florida - Fought through injuries all of last season but his Sophomore film was great, so can he bounce back?

- William Vlachos C Alabama - Short guy but is a natural and pure mauler, love him as a prospect for the next level.

ToldLikeItIs
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Any tape on these guys?

georgiafan
05-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Incase yall didn't know Cordy Glenn from UGA will be the starting LT.

RaiderNation
05-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Any comparisons for some of the top guys?(Kalil, Martin, DeCastro, Osemele...)

TACKLE
05-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Any comparisons for some of the top guys?(Kalil, Martin, DeCastro, Osemele...)

Kelechi Osemele = bigger Michael Oher

Texas Homer
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/TrayAllen.jpg

TEXAS Sr. OL Tray Allen could be a nice early sleeper pick.

LickaMahfeetz
05-25-2011, 02:19 AM
2) Petern Konz Wisconsin*
I'm confident in saying, Peter Konz was the best Badger lineman on the team last year and I'm a huge fan of Carimi -who IMO was underdrafted-, which is saying something.

He'll be fun to watch again this year.

K Train
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
love me some cordy glenn as the steelers next RG.

GaMeTiMe
05-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Nate Potter is a guy I can see moving up draft boards this season. Guys like Bulaga and Solder were 5th or worse in a lot of our rankings at this point in the process too

Iamcanadian
05-27-2011, 01:22 PM
As of right now, next year's OL class doesn't appear to be very talented. I've seen 2 reliable sites draft projections and there isn't one OLman going close to the top 10. Of course, underclassman could lift the class but that is something we will have to wait and see.

descendency
05-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Anyone think there is a potential center that would warrant a top 15 pick?

dannyz
05-29-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsB5VMPs7fU&feature=channel_video_title

I found this, Guy also has Kalil,Reiff and more positions.

herkyhawkeye
05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
danny, This is the future ;)

As for Osemele, He has a soild kick slide and could be a NFL OT but I think of he wants to be great, he should be a OG. He is an absolute mauler in the run blocking.

TACKLE
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Mike Brewster is a superior player and prospect to Pouncey in my eyes but I'm still not sure he'll go that high.

edit: Peter Konz as well.

ToldLikeItIs
05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Just watch Reiff, and future top back Marcus Coker.

rawdawg
06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
danny, This is the future ;)

As for Osemele, He has a soild kick slide and could be a NFL OT but I think of he wants to be great, he should be a OG. He is an absolute mauler in the run blocking.

I'd love Osemele in Chicago. Tice likes his OL big and nasty. Don't get any bigger or nastier than this. I agree with you, I think he can be a decent NFL LT. I think he could be a good NFL RT. But he has legit hall of fame potential at OG. Reminds me of a Mike Iupati, Ben Ijalana type. Probably can play outside, but would be a potential beast inside. He's playing much better competition than those other guys and I think is better athletically. Carimi and Osemele on the left side in Chicago would be absolutely amazing.

rawdawg
06-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Mike Brewster is a superior player and prospect to Pouncey in my eyes but I'm still not sure he'll go that high.

edit: Peter Konz as well.

It's hard to look and Brewster and NOT think Nick Mangold. Same school. Almost exact same size (6-4, 307 vs. 6-5, 305). I really like guys in college who block for mobile QBs. And Brewster has been there every game that Pryor has started. Pouncey was there with Tebow in Florida, and that turned out pretty well. I think having a mobile QB teaches OL to stay on their blocks and forces them to get to the 2nd level in order to spring their QBs. I don't want to put Brewster in the Mangold class though, because it's hard to predict someone will be the best player in the NFL at his position...but Brewster should be a top 10 C in the league from Day 1.

bigbenn
06-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't know how people haven't noticed but if you do not know Jeff Allen, Graham Pocic and Hugh Thornton you should. Thornton is a true junior and I expect him to stay next year but Allen is a senior and Pocic is a RS junior. There weren't two OL better than Allen and Pocic in the B10 last year. Allen's list of DE's he has shut down looks like a college All Star list including making Ryan Kerrigan disappear last year and Pocic is a big mauler as a 6'6, 310+ pound center and I believe he is at least on the level of Brewster (Yes you read that right). Get to know these guys because they'll be on just about every NFL team's radar in the draft.

herkyhawkeye
06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't know how people haven't noticed but if you do not know Jeff Allen, Graham Pocic and Hugh Thornton you should. Thornton is a true junior and I expect him to stay next year but Allen is a senior and Pocic is a RS junior. There weren't two OL better than Allen and Pocic in the B10 last year. Allen's list of DE's he has shut down looks like a college All Star list including making Ryan Kerrigan disappear last year and Pocic is a big mauler as a 6'6, 310+ pound center and I believe he is at least on the level of Brewster (Yes you read that right). Get to know these guys because they'll be on just about every NFL team's radar in the draft.

Uh I can list four off the top of my head in Adams,Reiff,Carimi, and Konz and thats off the top of my head.

bigbenn
06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Uh I can list four off the top of my head in Adams,Reiff,Carimi, and Konz and thats off the top of my head.

I meant to say at their position but I'm not going to argue...just watch a game from last year if you can (Like Pocic on Phil Taylor or better yet Allen who made Ryan Kerrigan disappear) or watch them this year.

ellsy82
06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
What do you guys think about DJ Fluker? He is going to be a RS Soph so he could Declare for the 2012 NFL Draft.

Fluker will probably receive a high first round grade from the NFL draft advisory board (95% certain). Top 10 pick IMO, if he decides to declare, which he's got no reason not to if he's rated that high. Then again there's the Luck factor. But Luck is more of an exception to the rule. Most student athletes aren't scholars that come from families with money. Most want to draft and get that first paycheck as soon as possible. He's right up there with Kalil, in my book...should be the second lineman taken next April. Lots can change though.

ToldLikeItIs
06-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Fluker has no business even being considered a Top 10 pick.

ellsy82
06-23-2011, 04:57 AM

If Tyron Smith can be drafted in the top15, Fluker can be a top first half tackle.

IrishTrojan
06-25-2011, 02:46 AM
If Tyron Smith can be drafted in the top15, Fluker can be a top first half tackle.

hahaha what?

Smith's feet and athletic ability is elite. Far better than Flukers

bigbenn
06-26-2011, 11:05 PM

Graham Pocic, potentially. 6'6, 310+ pounds. Monster of an OL.

etk
06-28-2011, 10:42 PM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ToldLikeItIs again."

Never thought that would happen...