1. LT
2. NT
3. CB
4. S
5. OG

I'd go:

1. LT
2. S
3. WR(if Rice leaves, if we can re-sign him long term, then WR isn't much of a need at all, just late round, if he leaves then it's a big need)
4. NT
5. OLB(if Leber and/or Greenway leave after this year or next year in Greenway's case, then this could probably be higher)

After that, a lot depends on how our past two classes work out, OG and CB I would probably have next. If Burton and/or Cook show that they can start, then CB isn't as much of a need. If Love and/or DeGeare can lock down a spot, then OG isn't as much of a need

Obviously a lot will change between now and the end of next season, let alone come draft time, though.

Heisman
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
In the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Reily Reiff

Just gonna take a shot in the dark right now

FuzzyGopher
05-04-2011, 12:37 PM
1. LT - This is a make for break year for McKinnie, if he gets his **** together I think he has a future here. Supposedly he had a life changing experience doing charity in Africa and he's been hanging out with one of the Williams sisters and he's down to 350lbs (how ******* fat was this guy last year?!?) If we nabbed and great LT prospect I could see McKinnie getting moved to RT and sliding Loadholt inside and rearranging the whole line.

2. CB- Winfield is ancient, Griffin if solid as a rock when healthy but he's coming off 2 ACL repairs so who knows if he can return to form, and Cook has health concerns and we have no idea if he can play or not. I'm not sure we should take a corner in round one but I definitely think getting someone in round 2 or later would be a good idea.

3. OLB- Greenway is a stud plain and simple, I'm certain he will sign a long-term deal. Leber has been reliable for us but he is currently a free agent and his play has been steadily declining over the past few years. I don't even think he will be here this year and I have no idea who will be playing WILL. Depending on how free agency goes and the season plays out this may end up being a bigger need than corner, who knows it's still early.

4. S- Make or break year for Tyrell Johnson, struggles reading offenses and for a guy that holds the sun belt conference record for tackles he kind of sucks at wrapping guys up in the pros, he takes poor angles and just looks lost at times. Madieu Williams is the worst starting safety in football. That includes all non NFL teams. Probably even high school teams. The rest of the guys are special teamers being forced into the lineup and they have no business being starters. This is a huge area of weakness for us but I think with free agency and some day 2 or 3 draft picks we can patch this gaping hole up.

5. MLB- EJ is very solid in run support but shaky coverage, he's been put in IR twice in the past 3 years and he is entering the last year of his contract at age 31. Do we really want to give him a big deal right as he is entering that period where most players start to decline? Behind him is Jasper Brinlkey who is a thumper like EJ but I think worse in coverage. If he keeps developing than maybe this isn't a big need after all.

Other

LE- Who knows, we have some decent prospects on the roster, although Robison is more of a pass rusher than a true LE, Ballard intrigues me and Griffen could be good. Kind of a log jam of unknowns here.

DT- Same with LE, some solid prospects but no true heir apparent to fat Pat, could be addressed in free agency or maybe someone steps up. I've been waiting for Guion to reach his potential, maybe this is the year he finally does.

Interior OL- Again and bunch of interesting guys like Love, DeGeare, Fusco etc. Just need someone to step up, maybe a healthy Sullivan can get the job done at center but he seems to be too weak and undersized.

djp
05-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll elaborate a bit more. This is assuming we will be able to re-sign Sidney Rice. If not, I'd put WR #2 or #3.

1. LT - McKinnie is on his last legs as an NFL regular if he continues to regress like he has been the past few years. Still a decent run blocker but just isn't getting it done vs good edge rushers anymore. Could we see a 2-3 year deal for Matt Light in free agency?

2. NT - I like Fred Evans, but it's just such an important position in our defense. Could change depending on Evans' play this year.

3. CB - It's important but I still have some faith in Chris Cook becoming a solid player for this football team.

4. S - Self explanatory... really think we'll see a free agent signing this year to help try to plug this hole.

5. OG - Right guard definitely needs an upgrade, and left guard is getting pretty old. Hutch probably had his worst season of his career last year. I tend to think he will bounce back but we just don't know.

Other positions
OLB - Yeah, I guess. It's by far the least important regular position on the team though. You can find 4-3 Sam's anywhere. Leber is a prime example of
this. Becomes more of a need if we somehow fail to lock up Greenway.

K - Again, easy position to fill.

WR - As I mentioned earlier, WR becomes more of a need if we don't re-sign Sidney Rice but I really think they will make every effort to keep him. If not, it's still a mini-need. We could use a possession guy to keep Harvin in the slot (Leonard Hankerson would have been perfect, too bad we didn't have that 3rd rounder this year, he went 5 picks after our pick we sent to the Pats)

FuzzyGopher
05-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I really think we get Rice signed, just listening to Spielman in interviews you get the sense that he is confident Rice will be back. Add in the fact that we really didn't address the position in the draft (I don't really count Burton as someone who can contribute to the team anytime soon) and it leads you to believe the front office isn't concerned about Rice walking. Another possibility is that the front office is ******** and has faith in Berrian and Camarillo which would really suck. Or maybe they really like Vincent Jackson and they try to go after him once the lockout ends, either way they don't seem too concerned about the position.

Crazy_Chris
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
They finally got their young QB of the future. Now the Vikes focus should be O-line. Definatly need to inject some quality young talent into that group. LT is the one easy to project need at, but haven't seen many project LG as a high priority.

Hutch has had 2 consecutive injury plagued down years. Hutch is going to be 34 by the end of next season and his salary for 2011 & 2012 will be 6.68 & 6.95 Mil. I could see them release him next year unless he has a huge bounce back year.

If there isn't one of the top LT prospects available to at our slot give me David DeCastro in round 1.

General Zod
07-30-2011, 10:16 AM
We should start seeing draft picks get signed today.

Ozzy
08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
All agree that left tackle is a huge need, but there are no real stars at that position in next years draft. If underclassmen come out, who are both redshirt juniors named Matt Kalil or Riely Reiff, then those would be two names at the top of my list. Two others that are not top elite prospects but could very good pros are Nate Potter and Jonathan Martin.

I would say like everyone else LT, S, WR are big needs. Might as well throw in defensive end as well, last year our pass rush really underachieved compared to the years previous, and Jared Allen is not getting any younger.

Then again at linebacker, next year is totally loaded, so would be smart to pick up a star linebacker if we have the chance.

In no order, I would not mind have any of these guys on our team.

Luke Kuechly Boston College JR
Vontaze Burfict Arizona State JR
Manti Te'o Notre Dame JR
Lavonte David Nebraska
Tank Carder TCU
Garrick Williams Texas A&M
Dont'a Hightower Alabama
Bruce Irvin West Virginia
Michael Mauti Penn State JR
Travis Lewis Oklahoma
Walter Stewart Cincinnati RS JR
Audie Cole NC State

B-rand
08-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I'll admit I don't pay too much attention to college football until January/February, but the name I keep thinking about is Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State. Just remember hearing his name a lot last season, and I think this team is going to want more playmakers at WR to help out the young QB.

marshallb
08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
We definitely will need a playmaker at WR, but WAY more than that, we need a LT to protect him, and then we can think about getting him a WR. He won't be able to find anyone if he isn't able to stand in the pocket, which is pretty much going to be the case this year for whoever is back there at QB. I'd love to see Matt Kalil or Jonathan Martin or Reilly Reiff or DJ Fluker in the first, and then maybe go with a WR like Jeff Fuller from Texas A&M or Ryan Broyles or Mohamed Sanu or Michael Floyd or...WR is stacked next year with Alshon Jeffrey and Blackmon and those I listed among others, so I think we can get a good WR in the 2nd or even 3rd if we wanted to go BPA or fill one of our defensive needs in the second.

prock
08-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Our secondary is so bad. Are there any good CBs or S to be had in FA next year?

marshallb
08-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Our secondary is so bad. Are there any good CBs or S to be had in FA next year?

Michael Griffin, Brandon Meriweather, Aaron Ross, Carlos Rogers, Leon Hall, Brent Grimes are the cream of the crop next year.

prock
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Leonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

B-rand
08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
We definitely will need a playmaker at WR, but WAY more than that, we need a LT to protect him,

I am a person who believes the O-line is the most important group of players on a football team, so I highly value the LT position.......

......but between Charlie Johnson (a guy who protected Peyton Manning for a few years and has a Super Bowl ring) and DeMarcus Love (he will turn out to be a huge steal from that draft) I think our LT position is looking up to par.

We may not have a Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden over there, but I do believe we have a guy who can hold his own over there for a few years.

Crazy_Chris
08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
I am a person who believes the O-line is the most important group of players on a football team, so I highly value the LT position.......

......but between Charlie Johnson (a guy who protected Peyton Manning for a few years and has a Super Bowl ring) and DeMarcus Love (he will turn out to be a huge steal from that draft) I think our LT position is looking up to par.

We may not have a Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden over there, but I do believe we have a guy who can hold his own over there for a few years.

Peyton Manning made Charlie Johnson look like a much better LT than he actually is. Charlie is much more suited to be a G than a LT.

marshallb
08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Peyton Manning made Charlie Johnson look like a much better LT than he actually is. Charlie is much more suited to be a G than a LT.

Yea, Peyton has made every OL he has had in his career look much, much better than he really is, and Johnson is a perfect example, and that's a big reason why the Colts drafted OL in the first 2 rounds, and just let him go; they're comfortable with those young guys playing right from the get go because Peyton will make their play at the very least acceptable.

You need a guy who can be out on an island with those elite edge pass rushers, which the NFC North has a batch of(Matthews, Peppers, and Van den Bosch is very good especially with those DT) at LT, and Johnson has been killed by Allen in practice EVERY day, and Love was killed by speed rushers in college, which unless he can vastly improve will hurt him even more as the pros doesn't get any slower.

prock
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Johnson and Love are both bad. We need a LT early next draft.

1. LT
2. Secondary anywhere
3. WR
4. Anywhere else on the offensive line.

FuzzyGopher
09-14-2011, 07:32 AM
The pick will most likely be a LT, but god damn would I love to get Blackmon or Jeffery.

General Zod
09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Think we'll do bad enough this season to get Matt Kalil from USC?

jimmylishis
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Think we'll do bad enough this season to get Matt Kalil from USC?

My dream draft right now is this and mike Floyd in the 2nd if he slides. I think our offense could drastically improve with a little protection and a legitimate downfield threat

prock
09-30-2011, 06:08 AM
That would be an unreal draft. Then we could spend later picks on secondary and interior line.

Crazy_Chris
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
They will definatly be bad enough to get Kalil If they lose to KC.

Ozzy
10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Here are players that the Vikings might be taking a look at I feel in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft. Sadly there are so many positions of need, it is almost a joke. And I feel they could totally pull a Carolina and pick a quarterback even if the year before the picked one, because if they get a really high pick, how could you pass on any of those guys arguably.

Generally speaking, I would love if they actually got some offensive lineman that were just mashers so we could possibly try to use Peterson the way he should be used and give him some help up front. But all the elite tackles are more pass protectors, solid run blockers but not punishing dominating run blockers, but then again one does not always need that type of lineman to run successfully.

OT
Matt Kalil USC RS JR
Jonathan Martin Stanford JR
Riley Reiff Iowa RS JR

DT
Jared Crick Nebraska
Brandon Thompson Clemson
Jerel Worthy Michigan State JR

CB
Xavier Rhodes Florida State RS SOPH
Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama JR
Morris Claiborne LSU JR
Jayron Hosley Virgina Tech JR
Stephon Gilmore South Carolina JR
Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
Greg Reid Florida State JR
Cliff Harris Oregon JR
Donnie Fletcher Boston College
Chase Minnifield Virginia
Mike Harris Florida St.
Janoris Jenkins Florida
Charles Brown UNC
Terrence Frederick Texas A&M

SS
Mark Barron Alabama
Bacarri Rambo Georgia JR
Winston Guy Kentucky
George Iloka Boise State
Brandon Taylor LSU
Lance Mitchell Oregon State

FS
TJ McDonald USC JR
Robert Lester Alabama JR
Tramain Thomas Arkansas

WR
Michael Floyd Notre Dame
Alshon Jeffery South Carolina JR
Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State RS JR
Jeff Fuller Texas A&M
Dwight Jones UNC
Stephen Hill Georgia Tech JR
Ryan Broyles Oklahoma RS
Chris Owusu Stanford
Jarius Wright Arkansas
Kendall Wright Baylor

QB
Andrew Luck Stanford RS JR
Matt Barkley USC JR
Robert Griffin Baylor RS JR

OG
David DeCastro Stanford JR
Brandon Washington Miami FL JR
Cordy Glenn Georgia
Patrick Omameh Michigan RS JR

C
Peter Konz Wisconsin JR
Michael Brewster Ohio State

DE
Quenton Coples UNC
Devin Taylor South Carolina JR
Melvin Ingram South Carolina
Donte Paige-Moss UNC JR
Nick Perry USC RS JR

Could also go with linebacker but I assume they go for other needs first and do not use a high draft pick on a backer, they just have way bigger needs at other spots.

Heisman
11-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Hypothetical:

Vikings are on the clock in the 1st, and the only 2 real players of interest are Justin Blackmon and Jonathan Martin.

Who would/should we take?

singe_101
11-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Blackmon, trade up into the late first round for an OT or DB.

Protection is also crucial, Kalil is probably the top non-Luck choice (prob 2nd overall, except for Miami). But we need a superb WR to score TDs and draw the rampant defensive penalties. Obviously we're missing that with Jenkins, glimpses from Aromashodu, and Harvin who is very good but is on the sidelines so much (by coaches subbing him). AJ green effect, if we're fortunate.

Although we'll see his games against Oklahoma and the bowl game.

Crazy_Chris
11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
For right now I'd easily take Jonathan Martin, but that could change by the time the draft rolls around.

djp
11-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't like Martin all that much. He hasn't impressed me from what I've seen. DeCastro looks like the prize from that Stanford OL. Blackmon would be nice, but I'm not sure I see him as worth that high of a pick. I think I'd rather have Morris Claiborne or Dre Kirkpatrick before Martin.

jimmylishis
11-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Here's another hypothetical. If the Dolphins end up with the 2nd pick, which is looking like a very strong possibility, should we move up/how much do you think we should give up to go after Kalil?

FuzzyGopher
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
We shouldn't move up, we have way too many holes to be giving up picks for one guy. BPA should be the philosophy for the next few years.

shylo3716
11-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Will an OT be a "Lock" for you guys in the 1st no matter what?

Crazy_Chris
11-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Will an OT be a "Lock" for you guys in the 1st no matter what?

LT is very likely to be the top priority, but not quite a lock. WR and DB are likely canidates aswell for the first round.

Ozzy
11-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Vikings take Morris Claiborne or Jonathan Martin, after today's game, give me Claiborne every time. Awful corner play, aging and possible retiring Winfield, Griffin is just not what he used to be, Cook is a criminal and Asher Allen is not a starting corner in this league.

Martin would be a good pick, but if Claiborne is around, I bet they take him.

Also bet, if Vikings play poorly enough to get the 2nd or 3rd pick, give me Barkley or Kalil, even with Ponder if Barkley is around, he would be hard to pass on.

prock
11-15-2011, 05:15 AM
No way we take any quarterback not named Luck. It's Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon, or Martin as far as I'm concerned, and probably in that order.

marshallb
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I think everyone on here can agree that Matt Kalil is the ideal pick and it really isn't even close. After that it gets very murky. I have some pretty big questions about Martin and Blackmon still, enough that I'm not comfortable to call them top 5 picks, which if the draft were to be held right now, we'd be picking 5th, barely edged out by St. Louis for 4th by SOS. With having said that, I'd have to say that after Kalil, on my big board I'd have Claiborne. After that, with the questions that I have about Martin and Blackmon and the other guys at those positions at the top of the draft, I'd say that instead of taking one of them that we'd be best served to trade down and pick up either a future first or a 2nd+. I don't think that there's much separating Martin, Reiff, and Mike Adams at LT, and at WR I don't think there's much separating Blackmon, Floyd, and Jeffery. If we traded down we could still get a similar caliber player, and then grab another high quality player with the pick that we pick up in the deal, which with all of the big needs that we have would come in handy.

General Zod
11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Heck if we could still get a pick somewhere in the first round, I wouldn't mind us trading down for more picks. We need help in so many places.

Ozzy
12-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Give me Morris Claiborne right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddly enough, ok say Kalil, Luck and Barkley are all gone. Do the Vikings take a chance at Robert Griffin III if the comes out? Doubt it, still is an option, give me Claiborne, would rather have a safety but no safety is worth that high of pick, and they could get one in the 2nd round potentially.

Plus, they need to move Joe Webb to receiver, what is to lose, especially at this point in the season.

marshallb
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Give me Morris Claiborne right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddly enough, ok say Kalil, Luck and Barkley are all gone. Do the Vikings take a chance at Robert Griffin III if the comes out? Doubt it, still is an option, give me Claiborne, would rather have a safety but no safety is worth that high of pick, and they could get one in the 2nd round potentially.

Plus, they need to move Joe Webb to receiver, what is to lose, especially at this point in the season.

Did you watch the game, or really any of the games Ponder has started? Why do you think that Griffin or Barkley for that matter is even an option? Ponder has shown more than enough to think that he can be the franchise QB that you absolutely have to stick with him. I think that our big board has to go Kalil followed by Claiborne, and then IMO trade down. I'm just not a fan of Blackmon, at least not as high as we'll be picking to take him there.

We've got to get OL help first and foremost to open up running lanes and to protect Ponder, and then IMO it's a toss up between getting him help at receiver and fixing our secondary. Anything after that has to be considered a luxury pick. Yes, I know we need DT and LB help as well as depth elsewhere, but that is nowhere near the need that OL, WR, and DB are.

Ozzy
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Did you watch the game, or really any of the games Ponder has started? Why do you think that Griffin or Barkley for that matter is even an option? Ponder has shown more than enough to think that he can be the franchise QB that you absolutely have to stick with him. I think that our big board has to go Kalil followed by Claiborne, and then IMO trade down. I'm just not a fan of Blackmon, at least not as high as we'll be picking to take him there.

We've got to get OL help first and foremost to open up running lanes and to protect Ponder, and then IMO it's a toss up between getting him help at receiver and fixing our secondary. Anything after that has to be considered a luxury pick. Yes, I know we need DT and LB help as well as depth elsewhere, but that is nowhere near the need that OL, WR, and DB are.Because Barkley and possibly Griffin will be better pros than Ponder, Barkley will without question and is by far a superior quarterback and if we could take him I would in a heart beat. Kind of like Carolina last year, sure they had Clausen, but still picked Newton the next year. Ponder is nice and worth keeping I think, but his lack of arm strength is an issue, but he is athletic, can get the ball out of his hands quickly and is obviously smart and picks things up fast. Still end game, Barkley will be a better pro and is a far more elite quarterback than Ponder I feel. Say we get the 2nd or 3rd pick in the 1st, I would have a hard time not picking Barkley.

As for the OT, I used to think that, but that defensive backfield is awful. Sure get an offensive lineman, but if you cannot get Kalil I think they should not use a 1st on the OL. Morris Claiborne all the way if it is the 4th pick down....

Crazy_Chris
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Because Barkley and possibly Griffin will be better pros than Ponder, Barkley will without question and is by far a superior quarterback and if we could take him I would in a heart beat. Kind of like Carolina last year, sure they had Clausen, but still picked Newton the next year. Ponder is nice and worth keeping I think, but his lack of arm strength is an issue, but he is athletic, can get the ball out of his hands quickly and is obviously smart and picks things up fast. Still end game, Barkley will be a better pro and is a far more elite quarterback than Ponder I feel. Say we get the 2nd or 3rd pick in the 1st, I would have a hard time not picking Barkley.

As for the OT, I used to think that, but that defensive backfield is awful. Sure get an offensive lineman, but if you cannot get Kalil I think they should not use a 1st on the OL. Morris Claiborne all the way if it is the 4th pick down....

Clausen legitly sucked donkey balls, while Ponder looks like a legit NFL QB and has flashes of greatness. So Carolina situation last year isn't too good of a comparison. Also I don't see where the criticism of Ponder's arm keeps coming from, this season has shown he has plenty enough strength. It's still soon but I'm not buying either Barkely or RG3 being the type of QB prospects that we can't pass up for Ponder.

As far as CB I agree that if we can't get Kalil we need Claiborne.

the_legend_killer
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Stick with Ponder. As long as he doesn't get killed behind that dogs*** offensive line this year, he has shown the glimses of what it takes to be successful. It they're at #2, I'd be fine with Kalil.

jimmylishis
12-05-2011, 03:45 AM
We obviously need to stick with ponder. I do agree that Barkley is a better prospect than Ponder but we have too many other needs to fill with our TOP 3 pick to waste on a position that we already have a promising rookie. The only QB that is worth doing that for is Luck and we all know that we would need a miracle for that to happen. I think it has to be Kalil. He is almost a guarantee to be an elite player in the league. That's more than I can say about Claiborne or Blackmon. If Kalil isn't there, imo we should trade down. The dropoff between kalil and the rest of the OTs is much greater than that of Claiborne and the rest of the CBs and Blackmon and the rest of the WRs.

CB is not as big of a need as OL or WR.We have a lot of young players at the position that could potentially step up and one in Chris Cook that has proven himself. Cedric Griffen is serviceable even after his injurys and there is still some hope that he can regain his old form. I'm not saying it isn't a problem area, but our problem in the secondary is not so much the corners as it is the safeties.

This is a very deep WR class. There will be guys later that fit the bill for what we need- a big, deep threat type receiver. Sanu could be there at the top of the second. There are also guys like devier posey, juron criner and dwight jones. I don't want either of the big 10 receivers in McNutt or Toon and I wouldn't go anywhere near Alshon Jeffrey.

prock
12-05-2011, 05:00 AM
We obviously need to stick with ponder. I do agree that Barkley is a better prospect than Ponder but we have too many other needs to fill with our TOP 3 pick to waste on a position that we already have a promising rookie. The only QB that is worth doing that for is Luck and we all know that we would need a miracle for that to happen. I think it has to be Kalil. He is almost a guarantee to be an elite player in the league. That's more than I can say about Claiborne or Blackmon. If Kalil isn't there, imo we should trade down. The dropoff between kalil and the rest of the OTs is much greater than that of Claiborne and the rest of the CBs and Blackmon and the rest of the WRs.

CB is not as big of a need as OL or WR.We have a lot of young players at the position that could potentially step up and one in Chris Cook that has proven himself. Cedric Griffen is serviceable even after his injurys and there is still some hope that he can regain his old form. I'm not saying it isn't a problem area, but our problem in the secondary is not so much the corners as it is the safeties.

This is a very deep WR class. There will be guys later that fit the bill for what we need- a big, deep threat type receiver. Sanu could be there at the top of the second. There are also guys like devier posey, juron criner and dwight jones. I don't want either of the big 10 receivers in McNutt or Toon and I wouldn't go anywhere near Alshon Jeffrey.

As much as I would love to have Blackmon and Claiborne, we NEED Kalil. A stud LT would make me so happy inside. He is pretty much can't miss, and that would be lovely for us. We can spend a second rounder on WR or secondary. If we draft well, we should be able to get a starter at all three of our biggest needs. That would be a HUGE step forward.

eltwentyone
12-05-2011, 06:59 AM
what draft position would we be in order to get kalil, I think we will lose out whats the point lets go 2-14 lol, is that enough?

marshallb
12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
The Rams also have only 2 wins, and with the way they're playing it doesn't look promising that they'd win another game, and they've got some damn tough games coming up with Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and San Fran after they play a hot Seattle team next week. If we both have the same record, it comes down to whichever team has the worse SOS, and with as good as our division is, I'm guessing it won't be us, but they were very close before this week, and this guy who knows it better than I do makes it seem like the Rams would have a better SOS, at least currently, meaning we'd pick 2nd: "Meanwhile, both Minnesota and St. Louis, which entered the week in a virtual statistical tie for the 2nd and 3rd picks, both lost; however, the Rams' collective opponents have had a somewhat better week than those of the Vikings so Minnesota would have the #2 pick were the raft held today, while St. Louis would select 3rd." (I can't link to it since it is from a rival draft site and that's against the rules) I'm just afraid that we'll win again with Washington still on our schedule, and unless Chicago gets Forte and Cutler back that game could be winnable if we continue to fight like we have.

The Dynasty
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah I actually seeing us beat the Bears especially if forte is out. Washington will be a tough game because its in Washington so i have us going 3-13 as of right now. But the rams going 2-14. So therefore we would end with the 3rd pick overall and as projected right now it will go Andrew Luck and Matt Kalil. Which would leave us Blackmon or Claiborne. After yesterdays game I think its clear that the Secondary is our biggest weakness behind our OL, so I personally would rather see Claiborne at 3 rather than Blackmon if Kalil is gone obviously. Winfield is obviously on his last leg. Chris Cook, who knows when he will be back. Griffin is a decent number 2. Then Asher Allen is average if that. We need a shut down CB though. We are in Division with Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Calvin Johnson, and Devin Hester, we need to shut them down.

So therefore I say we go OL, CB, WR. I just think we could get a WR in free agency that could go opposite of Percy Harvin. There are a lot of Wide Outs in this up and coming free agency class so id like to see if we could get a proven WR and then get a OL/CB in the first round.

eltwentyone
12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Bowe is a free agent right? I prefer him over everyone else

The Dynasty
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Bowe is a free agent right? I prefer him over everyone else

Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Mario Manningham, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Brandon Lloyd, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Robert Meachem. Obviously many of them will be franchised or re-signed there will be a few that will hit the market. I would love to either get Bowe or Jackson. Any tall receiver who can compliment Harvin.

prock
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't mind us not even going after a big time target and focus on getting young players maybe a bit later in the draft. I dunno, I don't see us competing soon and don't think we should be spending money on the likes of Jackson.

eltwentyone
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Mario Manningham, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Brandon Lloyd, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Robert Meachem. Obviously many of them will be franchised or re-signed there will be a few that will hit the market. I would love to either get Bowe or Jackson. Any tall receiver who can compliment Harvin.

I want Bowe and I am intrigued by Garcon, hopefully it is possible to steal him for cheap

Crazy_Chris
12-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Sign me up for Marques Colston, but I doubt the Saints will let him get away.

jimmylishis
12-10-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/33752962

More and more talk about Kalil staying another year....

prock
12-10-2011, 08:15 AM
No ******* way.

BuckNaked
12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
That **** is not justice. We've been losing for a cause! If that cause goes back to school then our terribleness will have been one terrible waste.

Crazy_Chris
12-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't buy it that he is leaning or set to return, the guy is a redshirt junior who is about to turn 23. There obviously is a chance he will return but I think if anything he would be leaning on declaring.

General Zod
12-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Colts win today and hey, we are getting closer to that #1 overall pick! lol

General Zod
12-30-2011, 06:29 AM
My short wish list in this order with our first pick.(excluding Luck since we probably will have no shot at him.

1. Matt Kalil OT
2. Morris Claiborne CB

If these guys are gone, maybe we trade down a bit and pick up..

3. Johnathan Martin OT
4. Dre Kirkpatrick CB
5. Riley Reiff OT

Im hoping they can find a way to trade down. There are a lot of guys even in the bottom of the 1st round that could fill one of our many needs nicely.

FuzzyGopher
12-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I have a feeling we will be sitting at #3 deciding between Claiborne and Blackmon. Hopefully some team like the Browns falls in love with RGIII and wants to trade up to our slot and we can grab some picks.

General Zod
01-01-2012, 03:19 PM
So does todays lose lock us into the #3 spot?

Crazy_Chris
01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Yes we are locked in at #3.

We are going to end up in a great spot for a trade if Cleveland loses(they should lose) today.

General Zod
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
In my opinion there are only 3 guys worth drafting at #3 if we hold on to that spot. Luck, Kalil, Claiborne.

Id rather have Kalil, but would be thrilled with Claiborne.

Vikings4ever
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes we are locked in at #3.

We are going to end up in a great spot for a trade if Cleveland loses(they should lose) today.

Cleveland number 4, needs a QB.

Washington number 6, and desperately needs a QB.

Miami number 9, and could use a QB.

Seattle & KC, 11 & 12, both have needs at QB.

Would love to see Washington go all out for Griffin.

And, hey, if the Rams take advantage of a trade, that leaves Kalil for us. :)

Crazy_Chris
01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Hopefully one of those teams will fall in love with RG3.

eltwentyone
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
havent watched college, how good is RG3?

General Zod
01-02-2012, 12:39 AM
havent watched college, how good is RG3?

Outstanding. And even a better person with great leadership skills.

But Im hoping for Kalil. I have sort of a man-crush on him. lol

But Claiborne wouldn't be a bad consolation.

Kid_Ego
01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
How could minnesota pass on luck or rg3 if they are there? Ponder annd Webb are both projects Kalill will be taken by rams Cover 2 doesn't require cover corner to play zone D.this pick has to be OL or QB really it does.
1. RG3
2.OL
3. Marvin Mcnutt
4.CB

Vikings4ever
01-03-2012, 06:06 PM
How could minnesota pass on luck or rg3 if they are there? Ponder annd Webb are both projects Kalill will be taken by rams Cover 2 doesn't require cover corner to play zone D.this pick has to be OL or QB really it does.
1. RG3
2.OL
3. Marvin Mcnutt
4.CB

No way does Luck last to 3 (barring a major injury before the draft). Ponder has shown enough that I believe he can be a franchise QB.

1. Trade down. There are plenty of QB hungry teams behind the Vikes. If the Vikes get an offer of 2 firsts, I think they should take it, especially if Washington offers.
2. Kalil. Franchise LT, which the Vikes desperately need.
3. Claiborne. The Vikes secondary sucks. CB may be less important in the cover 2 scheme, but a talent infusion is desperately needed.

Ideal draft day would be forcing Cleveland to trade up to assure itself of Griffin, then taking Claiborne/Kalil at 4 (which ever is left), then the other position in the second, and a WR/S if Cleveland gives us another pick this year.

Second best would be trading with Washington for 1 & 3 this year, and a 1 next year. Take a Blackmon (pretty much the consensus WR1 at this point), tackle in the second, and CB & S in the third.

rocky94
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2012/01/05/oklahoma-qb-landry-jones-to-stay-in-school/

The News of Landry Jones staying school improves the stock of RGIII. What is everyone's thoughts of us trading down with maybe Washington and taking Blackmon at 6? I really like taking Kalil at 3, but we have many needs and would gain extra draft picks with making this move.

Crazy_Chris
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
The trade down makes sense but I'm not sure Blackmon makes it to 6. If RG3 goes at #3 than Blackmon makes a lot of sense for Cleveland.

General Zod
01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
As long as we get some quality picks for trading down, Im all for it. Even in the mid rounds you could grab Jonathan Martin, Riley Reiff(who I like a lot), David DeCastro(who is suppose to be a Steve Hutchinson clone). And thats just for the O line men.

DB's in the mid round like Kerpatrick, Mark Barron, Janoris Jenkins(who I love also).
WRs, Blackmen will be gone, but would love to have Micheal Floyd(his health worrys me), Ajshon Jeffery, and I love Kendall Wright from Baylor.

prock
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
When you have a blue chip elite prospect available at a position of highest need, which is the case for Kalil and Claiborne, we can't afford to trade down. It just doesn't make sense to pass up an elite talent for a bunch of hopefuls.

Kid_Ego
01-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I dont know why you think Reiff Kirpatrick or Barron will be available after round 1
Lester maybe 3rd
But no way Barron last past early second
I could see RG3 going one by draft timeand the colts moving down
Ponder looked ok but definately didnt seal deal to me
Webb was more productive
We need line help bad we can fill defensi e holes with free agency
We need a franchise qb neither guy sealed deal

VikesWookie
01-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Blackmon reminds me of a Michael Crabtree 2.0
Top 5 WR's should have the total package... that includes field stretching ability. I'm not convinced Justin has that in the pro game.
Trade down if possible... OL/DL/CB and/or S should be our priorities in the draft IMO. Get a proven commodity at WR out of the FA pool and grab another developmental guy late in the draft. I'd put DL as a bigger desire b/c any CB will get burned over a course of a game without pressure...

Crazy_Chris
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
When you have a blue chip elite prospect available at a position of highest need, which is the case for Kalil and Claiborne, we can't afford to trade down. It just doesn't make sense to pass up an elite talent for a bunch of hopefuls.

It depends on how big of a difference there is between Kalil/Claiborne(not yet sold he is a true bluechip CB)and Reiff/Martin/Kirkpatrick. Which as of now is way too early to be know for sure.

Blackmon reminds me of a Michael Crabtree 2.0
Top 5 WR's should have the total package... that includes field stretching ability. I'm not convinced Justin has that in the pro game.
Trade down if possible... OL/DL/CB and/or S should be our priorities in the draft IMO. Get a proven commodity at WR out of the FA pool and grab another developmental guy late in the draft. I'd put DL as a bigger desire b/c any CB will get burned over a course of a game without pressure....

I am not sold on Blackmon as a true bluechip WR prospect, but I still really like him. I don't think he has great speed but I think he is faster than most give him credit for.

What I like though is his pysichality, he's great at breaking tackles and getting YAC, and how he fights for the ball and is able to make tough catches in traffic. All of which are important skills for the type of Offense the Vikes are trying to run.

With all that said I still prefer the option of picking up a WR from this talented class of F/As, and then selecting the best OT/DB.

djp
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Looks like we've got the North side for the Senior Bowl. You can bet your ass we look hard at Nick Toon for early round 2 for that pick. I like Sean Spence as a WLB too, although he'll be on the South side.

Still much prefer Claiborne at #3 over either Blackmon or Kalil.

Crazy_Chris
01-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Looks like we've got the North side for the Senior Bowl. You can bet your ass we look hard at Nick Toon for early round 2 for that pick. I like Sean Spence as a WLB too, although he'll be on the South side.

Nice, we will get a good luck at Kelechi Osemele aswell.

Vikings4ever
01-07-2012, 04:58 PM

I don't really consider Blackmon worth the three pick. As far as the Vikes are concerned, Luck/Kalil/Claiborne should be the clear cut top 3.

I'd be fine with Claiborne. The Vikes haven't had a true stud at CB since, um, um... Winfield's been very good, but not a true stud.

But I firmly believe games are won in the trenches. Especially for a team that has an offensive game plan that centers around its running game. I'd prefer Kalil to Claiborne.

princefielder28
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Claiborne is the popular pick for the Vikings at 3 because he's put himself up there as the #1 corner but given his lack of "elite" physical tools I'm not so sure he'll go that high come April (just look at Patrick Peterson last year and really the track record of corners being taken at the top of the draft)...I think Riley Reiff will be a name that quickly becomes attached to that third pick...he's got everything you look for in a "franchise" LT with wonderful athleticism and technique for such a big guy with those long arms, being very good in both pass protection/run blocking

Nick Toon isn't a 2nd round guy and the Vikings would be making a mistake if they took him that high...Nick was wonderful for the Badgers but I think he's gonna end up alot like a Brian Robiskie and your team is looking for another guy to add with Harvin and Rudolph as options for Ponder; Dwight Jones maybe?

jimmylishis
01-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Nick Toon isn't a 2nd round guy and the Vikings would be making a mistake if they took him that high...Nick was wonderful for the Badgers but I think he's gonna end up alot like a Brian Robiskie and your team is looking for another guy to add with Harvin and Rudolph as options for Ponder; Dwight Jones maybe?

I definitely don't want Toon at all. He does have good size and body control but he doesn't have pro speed. He can be a decent possession receiver at the next level but we can't use a 2nd on that. We need a deep threat. I would love Dwight Jones and I also would love Criner if he's available in the 3rd.

prock
01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I really think Kalil is gonna be there at 3. I can't imagine the Rams stay at 2, I think Washington or Cleveland jumps for Griffen. Kalil at 3 would be ideal, then someone like Hosley, Gilmore, Barron, or maybe Lester? in the second. Criner would be perfect in the third.

marshallb
01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Can anyone explain to me what they see in Criner? Especially jimmylishis who was knocking Toon for lacking pro speed and wanting a deep threat. Criner is much slower than Toon, and it wouldn't surprise me if he runs a 4.65 40. When I've seen him, he struggles to get off jams, which shouldn't happen when you're 6-4 215, doesn't run great routes, and just doesn't stand out to me. On top of that, he's rumored to be a nutcase mentally and emotionally. Seems more like a 5th rounder or later to me, rather than hoping he'd be there with the 3rd pick in the 3rd round, especially with the talent and depth at WR in this class.

djp
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I definitely think Toon will rise pending his measurables, he's been reported to be around 4.5 at 6-2. and I don't think Kalil will be there at #3, STL will probably take him.

Crazy_Chris
01-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I definitely think Toon will rise pending his measurables, he's been reported to be around 4.5 at 6-2. and I don't think Kalil will be there at #3, STL will probably take him.

I agree St. Louis will probably take Kalil, but I think the odds for them going Blackmon just went up. That is considering Josh McDaniels left for NE I think it's very likely B. Lloyd follows. But then again that also depends on if they can get a WR in F/A aswell.

djp
01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Maybe we can just be bailed out by Miami/Washington paying a fortune to pick up RG3 at #3. Or perhaps Cleveland wants to move up a spot.

jimmylishis
01-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Can anyone explain to me what they see in Criner? Especially jimmylishis who was knocking Toon for lacking pro speed and wanting a deep threat. Criner is much slower than Toon, and it wouldn't surprise me if he runs a 4.65 40. When I've seen him, he struggles to get off jams, which shouldn't happen when you're 6-4 215, doesn't run great routes, and just doesn't stand out to me. On top of that, he's rumored to be a nutcase mentally and emotionally. Seems more like a 5th rounder or later to me, rather than hoping he'd be there with the 3rd pick in the 3rd round, especially with the talent and depth at WR in this class.

Have you seen either of them play? I watched every single Arizona game this season and most last season. He doesn't have great acceleration but there aren't many corners that can run with him at his top speed. Stoops used to run a ton of under routes and screens to get Criner the ball in space to utilize his speed. His route running on intermediate routes admittedly needs some work, but he is unreal at beating corners deep with double moves. His body control is also outstanding being able to adjust on deep balls. He made Foles look really good countless times that way. The biggest knock on Criner on the field is drops. He will make some pretty bad drops, but he'll make up for it with a big play. Criner is a first round talent with off the field issues. He is easily worth a 3rd and could be the steal of the draft if he goes in the 5th or later like you say.

Toon can't even separate in the Big 10, which is notorious for its lack of talent on the perimeter. He uses his body very well which is what made him such a great receiver at Wisconsin, but he was never able to separate. He reminds me of Limas Sweed, a great college receiver but too slow to translate to the pros.

Not that it matters, but since you brought it up, I would guess Criner runs about a 4.5 40 and Toon will run about a 4.65.

yo123
01-09-2012, 04:06 AM
The last few years I've watched very little college football so take this with a grain of salt, but I want absolutely nothing to do with Nick Toon. Just screams good college receiver without the tools to translate.

Crazy_Chris
01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Just saw that Mike Adams got confirmed for the senior bowl. Thats another guy we will be taking a hard look at.

djp
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Toon just hurt his foot so he's off the radar now.

I watched Morris Claiborne a lot last night and came away impressed yet again. Still want him if we can get him, preferably lower in the top 10 if we can swing a trade down.

prock
01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Decided I am for trading down if we can still get Mo. Getting Mo in the first, Sanders in the second, and more secondary/WR help with the extra second we would get and a third. Love it.

Crazy_Chris
01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I have a hard time seeing Claiborne making it past Tampa at #5, that is if they don't pick up a CB in F/A.

princefielder28
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Decided I am for trading down if we can still get Mo. Getting Mo in the first, Sanders in the second, and more secondary/WR help with the extra second we would get and a third. Love it.

what do you see in Zebrie Sanders that gets you excited??? I see him as a 3rd/4th round developmental guy but this first round (into the 2nd round) talk with him is hard to believe

prock
01-10-2012, 04:18 PM
what do you see in Zebrie Sanders that gets you excited??? I see him as a 3rd/4th round developmental guy but this first round (into the 2nd round) talk with him is hard to believe

I can't scout offensive linemen worth ****, so that's just what I've been reading. Either way, a LT in round two would be awesome if we don't get Kalil.

princefielder28
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I can't scout offensive linemen worth ****, so that's just what I've been reading. Either way, a LT in round two would be awesome if we don't get Kalil.

I think scouts/draft people are trying for home run with him by looking at his skill set alone and not so much what he's done on the field (the Notre Dame game was a great example of how much of a project he really is)...one guy I think will fly up boards, and thank god he got a Senior Bowl invite, is UAB OT Matt McCants...a kid who is still relatively new to the game of football but once he stepped on UAB's campus he found playing time real quick and has been a wonderful LT for them the last two years...he's done a great job when going up against Vinny Curry and the Senior Bowl practices/game should give a better gauge as to how well he can handle speed rushers

prock
01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Think he has a shot to shoot up to round 2? Or would he be more of a third round option?

princefielder28
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Think he has a shot to shoot up to round 2? Or would he be more of a third round option?

I don't think he'll shoot all the way up to the 2nd round (like where Minnesota will be picking) but I could see him as a later 2nd/early 3rd round choice

jimmylishis
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I hate to say it, but I think we have to draft as if AD isn't going to come back. I would be all for drafting a quick receiving back that could compliment Gerhart. It's not our most glaring hole, but I think it's worth a mid-round pick.

wogitalia
01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Would love us to trade down and pick up a boat load of picks, we have so many glaring holes that one elite guys isn't changing anything for us.

Looking at our team...

QB - Ponder - If Luck were somehow there, I'd take him but otherwise happy to give him another year, hopefully with some support.

RB - ??? - Peterson injury makes this a question, but absolutely not worth investing more draft picks in, just too easy to get an UDFA who matches 1st round picks these days.

WR - Harvin - Great slot guy but not a consistent threat and is closer to a #3 WR than a #1 in my book.

WR - Nothing - Glaring need. This is probably the position we should target in FA if possible.

WR - Nothing - You need 3 very good receivers these days. I'd like us to target a 3rd rounder with some potential though because despite having nothing here, we are better than at some other positions.

TE - Rudolph - I like him a lot. Bright future and probably the best pick we've made since Peterson...

LT - Nothing - Glaring need. I don't think it's a first round position though, not with out other needs.

LG - Hutch - Need a long term replacement but thats what the 6th round is for.

C - Sullivan - Was solid this year, possibly our best lineman, at this point is absolutely not on the high priority list, I think with the right pieces around him he is good enough.

RG - Herrera - Solid. Again, I'd love a developmental guy behind him or possibly a FA upgrade, but he is far from our biggest weakness.

RT - Loadholt - I'm not a huge fan, but he is solid enough. Replacing him would be a luxury pick, we are not a luxury pick team.

Personally, Luck at QB and maybe a Blackmon or Jeffery are the only guys I'd like us to take in the 1st. That said, I don't like either Blackmon or Jeffery at pick 3, would love to trade into the teens to get them(probably not realistic on Blackmon) and pickup a 2nd first or a high 2nd at the least.

I don't like taking a tackle that high, I wouldn't be opposed to DeCastro in the teens either, amongst a couple of other guards but I'd like other positions far moe.

Defensively...

DE - Allen - Yeah, he goes alright. I like our depth at DE as well. The one position we have absolutely no question marks on.

DT - Williams - He is fine but is slowing down. If we are going to stick with the damn cover 2(as long as the muppet is coach we will...)

DT - Ayodele - I don't mind him. Think we could do with a young guy with some serious burst and potential to work behind these two though rather than the journeyman types.

DE - Robison - I'm fine with him. Big motor and hard working. Again, I really like Ballard and Griffen behind these guys. DE is about the only position that makes me smile.

OLB - Greenway - Stud. Close to, if not, our best player, though would like him to make a few more big plays(FF and INT).

MLB - Henderson - I've never been a huge fan, I love the way he hits and all and his heart but I've just never felt he was very good. Plus I like Xavier Adibi and wish he could get a chance. Solid enough though for now.

OLB - Henderson - Solid player. Nothing special though but had a good first year as starter. Replacing either Henderson would be a luxury pick we can't afford.

CB - Winfield - Is just about done. I'd still love to see him moved to safety if he can come back. Not sure he will be back though and we NEED a long term replacement.

S - Nothing - Honestly, we may as well play 9 on 11(heck 7 if you count the corners). This is by far our biggest need. I'd love a stud safety and I feel like you need a damn good one in our god awful cover 2 base.

S - Nothing - See above. I'd have no problem if we used a 1st and 2nd on safeties(though we will probably just draft a couple more based on Madden stats...

CB - Nothing - Meh. The problem is we insist on playing a stupid cover 2 so we don't value CB or secondary play yet we've been destroyed by it for 5 years now. Honestly, I'd love to draft Claiborne because he is good enough to justify not playing cover 2.

Defense is, imo, our biggest need and the secondary is where that is most evident. Honestly I don't think we have a guy who should be starting in our secondary outside Winfield who looked just about done this year even when he wasn't getting old age injuries.

Personally I'd love to see us draft a whole new secondary and to do it in the first couple of rounds.

My dream draft would probably go something like this...

#1 trade down.
Take a CB/S in the first.(traded down)
Take a CB/S in the 2nd.
Take a CB/S in the 2nd.(acquired in trade)
Take a WR in the 3rd
Take a OG in the 4th.
Take a OT in the 5th
Take a CB/S in the 6th
Take a OT/OG in the 7th.

Ideally I'd like to also sign a top flight CB/S(I still hate we didn't go after Joseph last year). I wouldn't mind targeting a LB or DT if they were available in FA. Also think we need to target a WR in FA.

Heisman
01-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Would love us to trade down and pick up a boat load of picks, we have so many glaring holes that one elite guys isn't changing anything for us.

Looking at our team...

QB - Ponder - If Luck were somehow there, I'd take him but otherwise happy to give him another year, hopefully with some support.

RB - ??? - Peterson injury makes this a question, but absolutely not worth investing more draft picks in, just too easy to get an UDFA who matches 1st round picks these days.

WR - Harvin - Great slot guy but not a consistent threat and is closer to a #3 WR than a #1 in my book.

WR - Nothing - Glaring need. This is probably the position we should target in FA if possible.

WR - Nothing - You need 3 very good receivers these days. I'd like us to target a 3rd rounder with some potential though because despite having nothing here, we are better than at some other positions.

TE - Rudolph - I like him a lot. Bright future and probably the best pick we've made since Peterson...

LT - Nothing - Glaring need. I don't think it's a first round position though, not with out other needs.

LG - Hutch - Need a long term replacement but thats what the 6th round is for.

C - Sullivan - Was solid this year, possibly our best lineman, at this point is absolutely not on the high priority list, I think with the right pieces around him he is good enough.

RG - Herrera - Solid. Again, I'd love a developmental guy behind him or possibly a FA upgrade, but he is far from our biggest weakness.

RT - Loadholt - I'm not a huge fan, but he is solid enough. Replacing him would be a luxury pick, we are not a luxury pick team.

Personally, Luck at QB and maybe a Blackmon or Jeffery are the only guys I'd like us to take in the 1st. That said, I don't like either Blackmon or Jeffery at pick 3, would love to trade into the teens to get them(probably not realistic on Blackmon) and pickup a 2nd first or a high 2nd at the least.

I don't like taking a tackle that high, I wouldn't be opposed to DeCastro in the teens either, amongst a couple of other guards but I'd like other positions far moe.

Defensively...

DE - Allen - Yeah, he goes alright. I like our depth at DE as well. The one position we have absolutely no question marks on.

DT - Williams - He is fine but is slowing down. If we are going to stick with the damn cover 2(as long as the muppet is coach we will...)

DT - Ayodele - I don't mind him. Think we could do with a young guy with some serious burst and potential to work behind these two though rather than the journeyman types.

DE - Robison - I'm fine with him. Big motor and hard working. Again, I really like Ballard and Griffen behind these guys. DE is about the only position that makes me smile.

OLB - Greenway - Stud. Close to, if not, our best player, though would like him to make a few more big plays(FF and INT).

MLB - Henderson - I've never been a huge fan, I love the way he hits and all and his heart but I've just never felt he was very good. Plus I like Xavier Adibi and wish he could get a chance. Solid enough though for now.

OLB - Henderson - Solid player. Nothing special though but had a good first year as starter. Replacing either Henderson would be a luxury pick we can't afford.

CB - Winfield - Is just about done. I'd still love to see him moved to safety if he can come back. Not sure he will be back though and we NEED a long term replacement.

S - Nothing - Honestly, we may as well play 9 on 11(heck 7 if you count the corners). This is by far our biggest need. I'd love a stud safety and I feel like you need a damn good one in our god awful cover 2 base.

S - Nothing - See above. I'd have no problem if we used a 1st and 2nd on safeties(though we will probably just draft a couple more based on Madden stats...

CB - Nothing - Meh. The problem is we insist on playing a stupid cover 2 so we don't value CB or secondary play yet we've been destroyed by it for 5 years now. Honestly, I'd love to draft Claiborne because he is good enough to justify not playing cover 2.

Defense is, imo, our biggest need and the secondary is where that is most evident. Honestly I don't think we have a guy who should be starting in our secondary outside Winfield who looked just about done this year even when he wasn't getting old age injuries.

Personally I'd love to see us draft a whole new secondary and to do it in the first couple of rounds.

My dream draft would probably go something like this...

#1 trade down.
Take a CB/S in the first.(traded down)
Take a CB/S in the 2nd.
Take a CB/S in the 2nd.(acquired in trade)
Take a WR in the 3rd
Take a OG in the 4th.
Take a OT in the 5th
Take a CB/S in the 6th
Take a OT/OG in the 7th.

Ideally I'd like to also sign a top flight CB/S(I still hate we didn't go after Joseph last year). I wouldn't mind targeting a LB or DT if they were available in FA. Also think we need to target a WR in FA.

Yeah, our secondary is HORRIBLE. I feel you. But if we don't give Ponder some weapons and offensive line help, he is going to die. He showed flashes his rookie year, and we need to give him help so he at least has a legitimately fair chance at becoming a player in this league. IMO, this year has gotta be all about surrounding Ponder with weapons. If he fails, we won't doubt it was his fault and we will have a studly crew for the incoming QB next year. CB's will be available in the draft every year, but when you have a chance at a franchise QB giving him help needs to be priority #1

wogitalia
01-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Yeah, our secondary is HORRIBLE. I feel you. But if we don't give Ponder some weapons and offensive line help, he is going to die. He showed flashes his rookie year, and we need to give him help so he at least has a legitimately fair chance at becoming a player in this league. IMO, this year has gotta be all about surrounding Ponder with weapons. If he fails, we won't doubt it was his fault and we will have a studly crew for the incoming QB next year. CB's will be available in the draft every year, but when you have a chance at a franchise QB giving him help needs to be priority #1

I personally think that Claiborne and Kirkpatrick are two of the best corners in forever. Ideally I'd love to have two firsts so we could get Jeffery or Blackmon and take care of both problems.

I did say we need to add a genuine threat at WR through FA as well.

Will disagree though, I don't think it matters what rookies we give him on offense, if our defense is as bad as this year he is still going to get killed because we are going to keep putting him in passing situations. When teams just need to throw slants until we miss the coverage or they reach the endzone to score no amount of weapons or OL help is going to keep him safe.

In my opinion we are a couple of pieces from a very solid to even strong defense that will be able to protect Ponder, similar to Denver, Houston or Cincinnati this year. If we can keep games close instead of giving up 7 on every series then we can use the running game to protect him and also to open up play action.

Note that I certainly want to add some OL help, I just don't see a big need for first round tackles. You get far better value building inside out on the OL and getting the future in the middle plugged up. As well as adding a talented WR in the draft. If we can have Harvin as our 3rd receiver that would be perfect.

General Zod
01-12-2012, 08:30 AM

I know DT isnt our highest priority this offseason, but Ayodele was mostly pretty terrible.

eltwentyone
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
WTF goin on we got no defensive coordinater,

Heisman
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Well technically we are still rockin' Fred Pagac as D coordinator ;)

VikesWookie
01-14-2012, 02:40 AM
We don't have the DB's to run Pagac's system... we don't have the backs to run anyone's system too effectively imo...

djp
01-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I've just posted a new blog on the Vikings/#3 situation on my blog.. feel free to comment here to respond, or just tell me to shut the hell up. Either way's fine.

http://landof10klosses.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/so-who-are-the-vikings-taking-with-the-3-pick/

The_Dude
01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I've just posted a new blog on the Vikings/#3 situation on my blog.. feel free to comment here to respond, or just tell me to shut the hell up. Either way's fine.

http://landof10klosses.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/so-who-are-the-vikings-taking-with-the-3-pick/

Isn't Kalil a white guy?

Your pic:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/797/944/84271903_display_image.jpg?1326600904
Kalil:

http://arrowheadaddict.com/files/2012/01/1-Matt-kalil.jpg

http://nfltraderumors.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Matt-Kalil.jpg

djp
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
haha dang, that was the first picture that came up when I googled his name. thanks

The_Dude
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
no prob. the bleacher report had it as their pic, too.

not to be nit-picky, but it was the first thing that i noticed.

djp
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Browns want RG3 and pick #4. Time to play the leverage game...

Vikings4ever
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Browns want RG3 and pick #4. Time to play the leverage game...

Forcing the Browns to trade up a pick would be my ideal draft day. If we could get a second this year (or, even better, a 1st next year), and still get Kalil or Claiborne, I'd be in heaven.

VikesWookie
01-18-2012, 10:37 AM

i'm just wondering how you came up with the odds percentages...

The_Dude
01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Forcing the Browns to trade up a pick would be my ideal draft day. If we could get a second this year (or, even better, a 1st next year), and still get Kalil or Claiborne, I'd be in heaven.

Or even having the Browns trade up to #2/Rams benefits us because that makes it more likely to have Kalil available for us at #3.

General Zod
01-25-2012, 08:10 AM
What do you all think of Riley Reiff? There are a handful of scouts that actually have him rated ahead of Matt Kalil.

Crazy_Chris
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
For right now I'm not buying that Reiff belongs in the same league as Kalil as a prospect. However right now I actually prefer Reiff and a couple of extra draft choices from the Redskins or Browns. Hopefully the Rams don't take the trade down option.

VikesWookie
01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
This 1st round pick should be a consensus top-notch prospect, hopefully more than a handful of opinions. It's early tho... it's hard to really guess who's going where til the process runs its course a bit more.

General Zod
01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Looks like Spielman is open to trading down in this draft..

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/25/vikings-open-to-trade-talks-for-no-3-overall-pick/?

Ozzy
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
General Zod Looks like Spielman is open to trading down in this draft..That would be the ideal I think...

Not sure anyone wants the #3 pick that badly though unless they like Griffin, but if they do and we get two later 1st round picks or a few more 2nd rounders they could easily pull off getting...

These prospects all being mid to late 1st rounders to early to late 2nd rounders. And if we trade the top pick and move down getting more picks it would be a great move really and one could get two or three of these players potentially.

David DeCastro OG Stanford 1st round
Jonathan Martin OT Stanford 1st round
Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame 1st round
Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State late 1st early 2nd
Tramain Thomas FS Arkansas early 2nd
Leonard Johnson CB Iowa State late 1st early 2nd
Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State late 1st early 2nd
Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska late 1st early 2nd
Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State late 1st early 2nd
Devin Still DT Penn State late 1st early 2nd
Brandon Washington OG Miami FL late 1st early 2nd
Winston Guy SS Kentucky early to late 2nd
Mark Barron SS Alabama late 1st early 2nd
Cordy Glenn OG Georgia early to late 2nd
Mike Harris CB FSU late 2nd
Brandon Taylor SS LSU late 2nd

Say they trade down and get more picks, then get David DeCastro late 1st round along with Leonard Johnson in the late 1st round, then get Jerel Worthy in the early 2nd round and Tramain Thomas in the 2nd as well. Much less maybe getting Alshon Jeffery if he slides or Mohamed Sanu in the 2nd over Tramain Thomas, even better. Would be pretty sweet I would say and gives them tons of top notch options.

Hard to pass on Kalil or Claiborne though....

Shame we signed Sullivan to such a big deal, I hate Wisconsin but Peter Konz is a stud center and I would love to have him.

the_legend_killer
01-27-2012, 12:02 AM
If Kalil's gone, I wouldn't be too opposed to trading down, as long as it's not too far.

jimmylishis
02-02-2012, 01:45 AM
I absolutely love Tramain Thomas, he's one of my favorite prospects in this draft but there's no way he's going in the 2nd round seeing as how he didn't get invited to the senior bowl or the initial combine list

princefielder28
02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Any chance the Vikings would take RGIII with the 3rd pick?

Depending on how the Vikings front office will grade out on RGIII, I would say there's a strong likelihood that they would evaluate him as a QB who would give a franchise a better shot at being competitive and ultimately a Super Bowl contender than Christian Ponder. They would take a hit in the short term on the investment they made in Ponder but in the long run the potential to win with RGIII has to be enticing. And then it comes to what the team could get in return for Ponder. With an unclear 3rd QB in the class, you'd have to believe that the year of experience displayed by Ponder is more attractive to teams in need of a quarterback than someone like Ryan Tannehill or Nick Foles or Brock Osweiler; possibly equating to a high 2nd round pick or even more.

I know this hasn't been discussed too much as a possibility but in a quarterback driven league Minnesota has a chance to take a guy who trumps the incumbent signal caller and appears to be someone who would give the team a better chance to get a ring. Thoughts?

BuckNaked
02-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Depending on how the Vikings front office will grade out on RGIII, I would say there's a strong likelihood that they would evaluate him as a QB who would give a franchise a better shot at being competitive and ultimately a Super Bowl contender than Christian Ponder. They would take a hit in the short term on the investment they made in Ponder but in the long run the potential to win with RGIII has to be enticing. And then it comes to what the team could get in return for Ponder. With an unclear 3rd QB in the class, you'd have to believe that the year of experience displayed by Ponder is more attractive to teams in need of a quarterback than someone like Ryan Tannehill or Nick Foles or Brock Osweiler; possibly equating to a high 2nd round pick or even more.

I know this hasn't been discussed too much as a possibility but in a quarterback driven league Minnesota has a chance to take a guy who trumps the incumbent signal caller and appears to be someone who would give the team a better chance to get a ring. Thoughts?

If we could get a first, I'd be intrigued.

marshallb
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM

There's no chance at all that we take any QB, even if we were to get a good pick offered for Ponder, it's not gonna happen. Pelissero had this to say earlier this offseason in a tweet:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

@ALLDAYPURP757 They're not drafting a QB.

That was in response to this:
@ALLDAYPURP757
@TomPelissero I'm not going to name any names...... *cough* RG3... But how safe is Ponder as our starting QB??? At least DM me or sumthin...

prock
02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
We won't draft a QB before the 5th. Unless we get offered like a top 15 pick for Ponder I can't see it being a possibility.

princefielder28
02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
We won't draft a QB before the 5th. Unless we get offered like a top 15 pick for Ponder I can't see it being a possibility.

I know the likelihood is pretty much zero for it to happen but put yourself in management's shoes once, would you give selecting Griffin a thought? And I'll add to it, what has Ponder shown to make you think that he's worth the long term investment?

Crazy_Chris
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I know the likelihood is pretty much zero for it to happen but put yourself in management's shoes once, would you give selecting Griffin a thought? And I'll add to it, what has Ponder shown to make you think that he's worth the long term investment?

I wouldn't think about RG3, but I think he's a bit overated at this point in the process. I like Ponder, I think he has a generally underated QB skill set. While he regressed and was generally inconsistent, he did show flashes and there is stuff to build upon. Particularly how good he was in the redzone 21-27 77.8% 8 tds 1 int. Another example he was pure money on 3rd down before he regressed.

princefielder28
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't think about RG3, but I think he's a bit overated at this point in the process. I like Ponder, I think he has a generally underated QB skill set. While he regressed and was generally inconsistent, he did show flashes and there is stuff to build upon. Particularly how good he was in the redzone 21-27 77.8% 8 tds 1 int. Another example he was pure money on 3rd down before he regressed.

underrated in what way? I think most people recognize that he's a smart player with good mobility and displays shows signs of good accuracy with the short and intermediate passing game...the greatest issue will always be his arm strength and that puts somewhat of a hinderance on the offense and also helps the opposing defense...I guess it all depends on how you view the ceiling of the two quarterbacks

Crazy_Chris
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
underrated in what way? I think most people recognize that he's a smart player with good mobility and displays shows signs of good accuracy with the short and intermediate passing game...the greatest issue will always be his arm strength and that puts somewhat of a hinderance on the offense and also helps the opposing defense...I guess it all depends on how you view the ceiling of the two quarterbacks

His overall skill set as an NFL QB is under-rated in they manner that generaly many NFL fans assume he has a limited upside. The guy is a very good athlete with good mobility and good scrambling ability(actually rushed for 7.8ypc this year). He has an nice throwing motion, with a quick release, and shows good ball placement and touch(albiet inconsisent at times). Aswell there is his well documented intelligence. The only thing he lacks is elite arm strength. But despite the assumption by most NFL fans he does have more than enough arm strength to make all the required throws from the pocket.

That is a legit NFL franchise QB skill set, and Ponder can be just as good as anyone. That is if he puts in enough work to improve on the mental aspects of the NFL game.

princefielder28
02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
His overall skill set as an NFL QB is under-rated in they manner that generaly many NFL fans assume he has a limited upside. The guy is a very good athlete with good mobility and good scrambling ability(actually rushed for 7.8ypc this year). He has an nice throwing motion, with a quick release, and shows good ball placement and touch(albiet inconsisent at times). Aswell there is his well documented intelligence. The only thing he lacks is elite arm strength. But despite the assumption by most NFL fans he does have more than enough arm strength to make all the required throws from the pocket.

That is a legit NFL franchise QB skill set, and Ponder can be just as good as anyone. That is if he puts in enough work to improve on the mental aspects of the NFL game.

I disagree that he can make every throw from the pocket and there were instances where he showed that...he doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense and his lack of arm strength hurts his upside

Crazy_Chris
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I disagree that he can make every throw from the pocket and there were instances where he showed that...he doesn't have the ability to stretch a defense and his lack of arm strength hurts his upside

kVVGRReRfhY

1:23-31 yards through the air, with good zip, and without being able to properly step into the throw.
2:59-57 yards through the air, without much effort and with plenty of zip.

HEd-ZPUK6LI

1:44- 29 yards through the air deep comeback from the opposite hash mark.

I think it's very fair to say he doesn't put enough zip on some of his passes. But the guy does have more than enough arm strength to make the required thorws.

rchrd
02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
He definitely has the arm strength, we just had nobody who could beat man coverage or get separation outside of Harvin (well documented by Tom P).

The_Dude
02-16-2012, 09:27 PM
i just really want the vikings to trade down from 3. i think that what this team needs the most is another 2nd round pick and an early round pick in 2013.

SterlingArcher
02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I am thinking that too. I personally would take Reiff and an extra second rounder vs Kalil alone.

General Zod
02-25-2012, 07:17 PM
I am thinking that too. I personally would take Reiff and an extra second rounder vs Kalil alone.

I would agree with this, but Kalil is just killing it at the combine. He is going to be pretty hard to pass up if he is there at 3.

General Zod
02-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Pelissero is thinking Kalil more then ever now..

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_More_likely_than_ever_Matt_Kalil_is_Viki ngs_man_at_No_3022612

The_Dude
02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, Kalil pretty much sealed the #2 or #3 pick with a great showing this weekend. Let's just hope that a wr like Randle or Hill are still there for us at the top of round 2.

Crazy_Chris
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I was very impressed with Dontari Poe today, if we trade down and Morris Claiborne & Blackmon are gone I think he becomes a legit option.

SterlingArcher
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
I could see Sanu being there in round 2. Personally I'm hoping StL trades out we land Kalil and somehow Jenkins falls to us in round 2. He has been climbing in a lot of mocks the past month or so but we gotta see how/what he does in Indy tomorrow. Kalil and Jenkins are my dream first 2 picks.

Kid_Ego
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
I like this first three rounds
(Ahlil
boykin
McNutt
chapman

Taber21
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
What does everyone think of Stephen Hill if he is available at 35, assuming we land Kalil at 3? He obviously blew up at the combine and his stock is rising, some predict up to the back end of round 1. He may be raw, but working in the offense that he was in, blocking was at a premium, which obviously would be appealing to the Vikes as well.

The_Dude
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Personally, i like it. But of course it would depend on who else is sitting there.

BuckNaked
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
If Kendall Wright drops now cause of his bad 40 time that would be a pretty wet dream.

SterlingArcher
02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
I think Wright will get his time back up at his pro day. I highly doubt he is there at 35 but stranger things have happened.

I'm still hoping that we get a WR in free agency since thats a deep crop this year. I think our passing game will improve this year with Ponder and Rudolph having an NFL offseason and the possible addition of Kalil.

I'm hoping Jenkins (highly doubt it), Gilmore (possible), or another future starting DB is there at 35.

singe_101
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Take Mt. Kalil... reclaim that nickname! Get another OL on Hutch's level.

Thanks to RGIII for entering the draft.

Taber21
03-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Take Mt. Kalil... reclaim that nickname! Get another OL on Hutch's level.

Thanks to RGIII for entering the draft.

Well Kalil shouldn't really be considered "Mt." but he is certainly the right pick for us at 3.

The_Dude
03-10-2012, 08:45 AM
No more concerns about the Rams taking Kalil at 2. now it's just time for the Vikings o not screw it up by passing on our LT for the next decade+

Crazy_Chris
03-10-2012, 09:40 AM
This is a happy and sad day... Very happy that we are assured Kalil, but man that bounty of picks would have been ******* awesome to have.

stlouisfan37
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Hi guys! I'm a Rams fan and I come in peace! I just wanted your opinions...

Now that RGIII is all but locked in Washington, there is talk that Tannehill will become the hot commodity in this year's draft. Cleveland has the #4 pick, so if that happens Minnesota would be sitting in the driver's seat for a team that needs to leapfrog Cleveland, like Miami or Seattle. Do you think the Vikings would like to trade down still, or are they in love with Kalil? What do you think it would take for the following teams to make that trade?

Miami - 8
Kansas City - 11
Seattle - 12

Hey thanks!

marshallb
03-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi guys! I'm a Rams fan and I come in peace! I just wanted your opinions...

Now that RGIII is all but locked in Washington, there is talk that Tannehill will become the hot commodity in this year's draft. Cleveland has the #4 pick, so if that happens Minnesota would be sitting in the driver's seat for a team that needs to leapfrog Cleveland, like Miami or Seattle. Do you think the Vikings would like to trade down still, or are they in love with Kalil? What do you think it would take for the following teams to make that trade?

Miami - 8
Kansas City - 11
Seattle - 12

Hey thanks!

I think they would be open to moving down still, but it would take a nice package(not as nice as the Rams got, but a pretty steep price nonetheless). You have to look into every option out there, and while I love Kalil and think he's going to be a stud LT for a long time, you have to remember that the Vikings are rebuilding and aren't just a couple players away from getting back into contention, we're more like a half dozen or so players away, and the longer it takes us to get those players the more that list will grow with guys like Winfield and Kevin Williams getting older, and even Jared Allen will be turning 30 within the next month. And that's all assuming that Ponder's a franchise caliber QB, if not then you're set back even further.

I have no idea what it would actually take as I didn't imagine anyone would give up 2 additional firsts and a second(an early one at that) in order to move up four spots to grab anyone other than Luck. Personally, I would have to have a first next year and a second this year in addition to their first rounder from each of those teams for #3, and even at that I'd have to think about it considering that at 8, Claiborne, Kalil, and Blackmon(although I'm not a huge fan of his and I prefer Floyd) would all be gone, and at 12 or 13, Reiff is all but gone and there's a chance that Poe, DeCastro, Floyd, and even Kirkpatrick are all also gone, leaving us with not a whole lot left to choose from at all.

Crazy_Chris
03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
An interesting article I saw today. It says the Vikings are supposedly debating between Kalil and Claiborne. Not sure how much stock to put into it considering the time of year but here it is...

With the top two picks in the draft pretty well set, quarterbacks Andrew Luck of Stanford and Baylor's Robert Griffin III in some order, it's been pretty popular in most circles to assume that Minnesota, with the third overall choice, will pounce on Southern Cal left offensive tackle Matt Kalil.

Such a move certainly would bolster the blindside protection of young starting quarterback Christian Ponder, but also allow the Vikings to move Charles Johnson inside to left guard, probably his better position, as the replacement for Steve Hutchinson, who was released earlier this week.

But a Vikings official insisted to The Sports Xchange that no decision has been made, and that there is still considerable debate about the No. 3 slot.

Although the official didn't acknowledge it, some of the debate is thought to focus on the team's crying need at cornerback, and the viability of LSU's Morris Claiborne in the No. 3 spot. Minnesota ranked No. 26 in defense versus the pass in 2011, and its eight interceptions tied for the league low.

The corner-needy Vikings used eight different starters, and seven different starting combinations, at the position. The team has five cornerbacks on its roster and, after the aging and increasingly brittle Antoine Winfield (158 starts), only Allen Asher (21) has more than eight regular-season starts.

Of course, with Washington dealing up to the second overall spot in the recent blockbuster trade, Minnesota's third slot could be in play now, although it's believed the Vikings haven't had any substantive inquiries yet about it. None are likely to come until closer to the draft.

"But some people here love (Claiborne)," the official said. "I mean really love him."

After a four-year absence from the top 10, there has been a cornerback chosen among the top 10 guys off the board the past two years. Whether he goes to the Vikings or someone else, Claiborne will extend the streak to two months.

Claiborne is regarded as the most natural corner in the draft. Although he ran in the 4.45-4.52 range at the combine, he plays even faster, and is maybe more technically sound than Patrick Peterson, the former LSU cornerback chosen by Arizona last year as the fifth overall pick. It will be interesting to see if Claiborne runs the 40 at LSU's pro day on March 22.

There figures to be a strong Vikings contingent in attendance, as there was at the campus workout for Oklahoma State junior wide receiver Justin Blackmon. He met immediately after his workout with coach Leslie Frazier and officials from the team, the first of many scheduled appointments on his tour of NFL facilities in the next six weeks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/17770864/draft-tip-sheet-vikings-reportedly-not-sold-on-kalil-at-no-3-slot

Vikings4ever
03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
As much as I'd love to see Kalil anchoring the O-line for the next decade, I'm not opposed to trading out of the three spot, given the right offer.

If Tampa falls in love with Claiborne and offers their first next year or second this year, that still allows the Vikes to take Kalil or Blackmon, and gives them an early pick to fill one of many holes this team has.

Taber21
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
That article about them considering Claiborne, IMO, is just a smoke screen to try and entice Tampa to move up for him, which is unlikely. If they pick @5 and Tampa took Claiborne at 3, Kalil would certainly make it to them still, as Cleveland clearly doesn't need a LT.

VikesWookie
03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
i would think if some team wanted to move up to 3 it would be for either Richardson or Blackmon...

Taber21
03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Spielman thinking about passing on Kalil? Smokescreen or legitimate possibility?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/vikings-hint-they-prefer-morris-claiborne-to-matt-kalil/

marshallb
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Spielman thinking about passing on Kalil? Smokescreen or legitimate possibility?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/vikings-hint-they-prefer-morris-claiborne-to-matt-kalil/

I think it's a legit possibility. I've read in several places that Spielman prefers a playmaker(Claiborne/Blackmon) at 3, but I'm guessing that he'll take the higher rated guy at a slightly bigger position of need who looks like he can fill that position at a very high level for the next decade+. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'd also be fine with Claiborne as I think he'll be a stud also. I would much rather have Kalil though.

Crazy_Chris
03-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Thats the 2nd time they have let it slip out that they like Claiborne maybe more than Kalil. It seems fishy especially since this time Spielman went out of his way to get the word out to Sansevere.

prock
03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Definite smokescreen. He wants to trade down no doubt. Probably trying to get the Bucs or someone to bite. It would be awesome if the Bucs did because the Browns wouldn't take Kalil.

marshallb
03-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Thats the 2nd time they have let it slip out that they like Claiborne maybe more than Kalil. It seems fishy especially since this time Spielman went out of his way to get the word out to Sansevere.

I agree with this, especially when Spielman is known to not let out anything at all. I remember everyone always complaining to Pelissero about Spielman giving ****** interviews whenever he has him on as a guest on 1500ESPN or when he'll do a press conference/conference call and Pelissero will put up the transcript, because Spielman will just say the same stuff without actually giving out anything worthwhile. It just seems odd that he would come right out and tell everyone something as important as this ever, let alone a month before the draft.

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Claiborne looks like he'll be a heck of a player, but I don't think the Vikes are serious about passing on Kalil. A big man with top notch athleticism is hard to come by, and his strength can be fixed in a professional strength and conditioning program. I think the Vikings take Kalil at 3 and are very happy about it for a decade.

General Zod
03-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Scott has us taking Zach Brown in the 2nd round. What do you all think of this pick? I like Brown a lot as a prospect. I just thought that OL, DB, WR would take priority over LB.

marshallb
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Scott has us taking Zach Brown in the 2nd round. What do you all think of this pick? I like Brown a lot as a prospect. I just thought that OL, DB, WR would take priority over LB.

I would hate it. I'm not a fan of Brown, he's got all the talent in the world, but before this year had done nothing and even this year he didn't do that great. On top of that I don't think he can play Mike and would rather not move Greenway or Erin around to fit him in. Add on top of it that, like you said, we've got much bigger needs, although we also had much bigger needs than TE when we took Rudolph in the second last year, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, Pelissero said he thinks Kalil will be the guy unless they trade out, let's just say I hope so, although I do love me some Morris Claiborne as well, and wouldn't hate it if we took him:

Never say never but I strongly believe Kalil is the guy unless they trade out.

The Dynasty
03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I wouldnt mind Brown. I think he will be a playmaker in the NFL and It wouldnt surprise me if we were to take him. It seems like in rounds 1-3 Spielman will take BPA rather than need which I agree with.

marshallb
03-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I wouldnt mind Brown. I think he will be a playmaker in the NFL and It wouldnt surprise me if we were to take him. It seems like in rounds 1-3 Spielman will take BPA rather than need which I agree with.

My only problem with that is it looks like there will be good value at both CB and WR in rounds 2 and 3, which are also huge needs for us. Now if there's huge runs at both of those positions, then yea, I'd be good with else getting a value elsewhere rather than reaching to fill a need.

marshallb
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Vikings get a pair of 4th round comp picks (https://twitter.com/#!/TomPelissero/status/184365081331642371)

#Vikings have confirmed the compensatory picks as 33rd and 39th in fourth round. Believed to be for losses of Sidney Rice, Ray Edwards.

EDIT: The Vikings have done well in the 4th round recently:
2006: Ray Edwards
2007: Brian Robison
2008: no 4th, traded to Philadelphia
2009: no 4th, traded to Houston for Sage Rosenfels
2010: Everson Griffin
2011: Christian Ballard

Interesting that they've all been defensive linemen...

FuzzyGopher
03-26-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd rather take Stephon Hill or Gilmore if the draft plays out like that, over Zach Brown.

General Zod
04-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Scotts got us taking Stephen Hill with our 2nd pick. Id like this a lot as long as Kendell Wright and Randle was off the boards.

hagy34
04-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Kalil and Hill would be perfect. I actually like Hill more than Randle at this point. Lot of time left though...

hagy34
04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
FYI I have our 1st three rounds as follows. Let me know what you think...

1.03 Matt Kalil - USC - LT
No brainer here. I truly believe everything else is a smokescreen and can't imagine anyone will want to move up.

2.03 Alshon Jeffery - SC - WR
I think Wright, Randle and Hill will be gone. Something about SC WR's and this team. I'd approve of Jeffery if Wright and Hill aren't on the board.

3.03 Jayron Hosley - VT - CB
I like him. I think he'll be there and it fills a position of need. Simple as that.

VikesWookie
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
i'd rather have the draft fall with us taking a 2nd rd CB & 3rd rd WR or S...

SterlingArcher
04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Me too. I like Brian Quick if for nothing more than the last name.

The Dynasty
04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
2012 Vikings Mock Draft:

1st Round: Matt Kalil, Tackle, University of Southern California

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1202/nfl-draft-2012-top-prospects/images/02-matt-kalil.jpg

2nd Round: Alshon Jeffery, Wide Receiver, University of South Carolina

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JLMK1f5-qqc/T0sgvgETXHI/AAAAAAAABNg/FjXY-4_hg1E/s1600/Alshon-Jeffery-South-Carolina.jpg

3rd Round: Chase Minnifield, Cornerback, Virginia University

http://www.philsteele.com/awards/Weekly/2011AwardImages/ChaseMinnifield.jpg

4th Round A: Markelle Martin, Safety, Oklahoma State

http://sportsofboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/121511_MMartin.jpg

4th Round B: Travis Lewis, Linebacker, Oklahoma

http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/travis-lewis1.bmp

4th Round C: Jaye Howard, Defensive Tackle, Florida

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Mudcat58/Redskins%20Madden%2011/jaye-howard-2012-3.jpg

5th Round: Joe Adams, Wide Receiver, Arkansas

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Joe-Adams1.jpg

6th Round: Desmond Wynn, Offensive Guard, Rutgers

http://www.newerascouting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/dwynn-600x434.jpg

7th Round A: Rhett Ellison, Tight End, University of Southern California

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Rhett+Ellison+USC+v+UCLA+wuEQvIwcTtsl.jpg

7th Round B: Chris Greenwood, Cornerback, Albion University

http://cdn204.psbin.com/img/mw=295/mh=235/cr=n/3xnesomnp8w4eb3j.jpg

Taber21
04-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I love that draft for the Vikings. Seems like need/value match up very well with all of our picks.

prock
04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I think that's almost too good to be true. Minnifield would be awesome in our system. Lewis is great value in the 4th, as is Martin, who I think is one of the better safeties in the draft. Getting Adams and Howard so late is awesome as well, I think they could both be long gone.

marshallb
04-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I have to agree, that draft is a little too good to be true. It'd be nice if it happened, but I have a hard time to believe some of those players will be there.

A report on some of the players the Vikings had at their private workout this past week:

Prospects known or reported to have attended the Vikings' "Top 30" pre-draft event this week included: left tackle Matt Kalil (Southern Cal); receivers Justin Blackmon (Oklahoma State), Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech) and Alshon Jeffery (South Carolina); and cornerbacks Morris Claiborne (LSU), Lionel Smith (Texas A&M) and Ron Brooks (LSU).

Link (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Vikings_face_grievance_from_Kevin_William s_visit_hoopster040512)

BuckNaked
04-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Apparently we're liking Harrison Smith if he makes it to 35.

marshallb
04-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Apparently we're liking Harrison Smith if he makes it to 35.

Where did you see that? I wouldn't hate that, but I'd prefer several other guys over him. I would like to see us finally addressing the safety position, though.

Taber21
04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Where did you see that? I wouldn't hate that, but I'd prefer several other guys over him. I would like to see us finally addressing the safety position, though.

My thoughts exactly... depends on how the board falls, but if we did take him there I would be ok with the pick.

BuckNaked
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Read it on rotoworld earlier.

The Dynasty
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't mind him being the 35th pick. I almost put him as our 2nd round pick but I'm really hoping for Alshon Jeffery more. Minnifield I think is almost a certain for us for some reason. He fits us so well and Ive heard him connected with the Vikings for a while now. Reminds me of 2010 when the vikings were tagged with Chris Cook all the time.

marshallb
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't mind him being the 35th pick. I almost put him as our 2nd round pick but I'm really hoping for Alshon Jeffery more. Minnifield I think is almost a certain for us for some reason. He fits us so well and Ive heard him connected with the Vikings for a while now. Reminds me of 2010 when the vikings were tagged with Chris Cook all the time.

Personally I think Casey Hayward is just as good, if not a better, fit for us, and I like him quite a bit more than Minnifield. Hayward gets my vote as one of the most underrated players in this draft. The one problem is that he isn't great in man, which is what gets you drafted high in the NFL now, but he can play it and is one hell of a zone corner. His ball skills may be as good as any corner in this class, including the Claiborne and Jenkins. With all of this being said, if Hayward is there in the 3rd I sure as hell hope we take him. Minnifield however, I'm not nearly as high on. I see him as being a nickel corner and not really a starting option going forward. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but with as deep as this CB class is, I'd hope we can get a future starter in the 3rd to take Winfield's spot when he's done as he said he only plans on playing 2 more years, which would take him to the end of his contract.

marshallb
04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
How would you guys feel about this: Bill Polian advocates Vikings-Dolphins trade (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40525/bill-polian-advocates-vikings-dolphins-trade)

The entire article is insider, so you'd need a subscription, but basically Polian says that he thinks the Dolphins should trade their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up from 8 to 3 for Tannehill. That would give us 8, 35, 42, 66, 72, 98, 128comp, 134comp, 138, 175, 210, and 223. We wouldn't land an elite player at 8, but could still get a really high quality player and then with all those 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths we could get several more starters and potential starters and it would also give us more ammo to move up for guys falling, etc.

I'd be upset about not landing Kalil or Claiborne, but if we were to hit on those 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths, then we'd be way ahead in our rebuilding process.

The Dynasty
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
How would you guys feel about this: Bill Polian advocates Vikings-Dolphins trade (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/40525/bill-polian-advocates-vikings-dolphins-trade)

The entire article is insider, so you'd need a subscription, but basically Polian says that he thinks the Dolphins should trade their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up from 8 to 3 for Tannehill. That would give us 8, 35, 42, 66, 72, 98, 128comp, 134comp, 138, 175, 210, and 223. We wouldn't land an elite player at 8, but could still get a really high quality player and then with all those 2nd, 3rd, and 4ths we could get several more starters and potential starters and it would also give us more ammo to move up for guys falling, etc.

I'd be upset about not landing Kalil or Claiborne, but if we were to hit on those 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths, then we'd be way ahead in our rebuilding process.

I wouldn't mind it either but I just don't see the Dolphins trading up to get Tannehill. The Browns don't seem interested in him so he would just slide to the Dolphins. But if this were to occur, I would be all for it. Sure we would miss out on Kalil and Claiborne but we could still end up with Rieff, Floyd, Blackmon at 8 and then in the 2nd we could address the 2 other needs that we didnt take in the 1st round. Never know who would be there at 8 but I just don't see this happening.

hagy34
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Kalil, Jeffery and Minnifield would be sooooo nice.

hagy34
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
As for the Miami trade, I don't like it. I don't mind trading down but I think we should get more than a mid 2nd and 3rd. We are losing out on an ELITE LT and missing out on the other top guys as well.

Taber21
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
The question Spielman would have to answer is who does he take with all of those extra picks to play LT. There is just not enough quality LT prospects. They would have to take Reiff at 8 just because whoever they'd get later couldn't come in a play from day 1, and Charlie Johnson should not be given one more snap as our starting LT. I'd be much happier staying at 3, getting Kalil, then addressing other needs later in the draft, with the CB and WR depth being far better.

rchrd
04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Adam Schefter was on one of the shows saying he really believes that the Vikings pass on Kalil even @ 3. Personally I dont like the idea at all, if we stay at 3 I think Kalil has to be the pick, thoughts?

Vikings4ever
04-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Adam Schefter was on one of the shows saying he really believes that the Vikings pass on Kalil even @ 3. Personally I dont like the idea at all, if we stay at 3 I think Kalil has to be the pick, thoughts?

IMHO, the only acceptable picks at 3 are Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon (in that order).

I'd much, much, MUCH rather have Kalil than the other 2 but given the Vikings recent record on first round picks, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt if they go with Claiborne or Blackmon.

TheBoyWonder22
04-12-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm a Ravens fan, but I'm running the Vikings in broth's forum mock. Tell me what you guys think.
I traded #3 to Arizona for 13, 80, and a 2013 2nd.
I ended up getting Reiff at 13 and I traded 35 and 80 and a 2013 3rd for 20
I ended up receiving Stephon Gilmore there. This gives you guys bargaining chips for next year as well as allowed me to hold onto pick 66 for this year.

Results thus far:
Reiff
Gilmore

Making next year's draft: 1st, 2nd, AZ 2nd. I think since I did this for specific players that I did well, but in real life this would be awful. What say you Viking Nation?

marshallb
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm a Ravens fan, but I'm running the Vikings in broth's forum mock. Tell me what you guys think.
I ended up receiving Stephon Gilmore there. This gives you guys bargaining chips for next year as well as allowed me to hold onto pick 66 for this year.

Results thus far:
Reiff
Gilmore

Making next year's draft: 1st, 2nd, AZ 2nd. I think since I did this for specific players that I did well, but in real life this would be awful. What say you Viking Nation?

I would be good with those picks, but you should have gotten way more for 3 than a 3rd and 2nd next year. That's just a terrible haul to move down 10 picks.

Taber21
04-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Ya, getting Reiff and Gilmore is a good first round for sure, but like Marshallb said, not getting more for pick #3 is a bad trade down.

prock
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Results thus far:
Reiff
Gilmore

Absolutely robbed on your trade down. You should have gotten a 2nd and 3rd for going to 8. To 13, there should have probably been a third and future first.

djp
04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm just not sure how much we would be able to get in a trade down. If Cleveland's the only team that's willing to take Tannehill that high, then we're screwed in that regard. Either way, we better come out of this draft with a haul and a half.

TheBoyWonder22
04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
I would have gotten more, it's just that there's a five minute clock and pre-draft trade negotiations were hard to submit. I anticipated having more time than I did. I'm going to draft a WR at 66. Hopefully Jeffery just takes a free fall, but in case that doesn't happen who should I target in the early third?

prock
04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Too early to tell. A WR, safety, DT, or OLB would be good. Looking at that draft though you really ****** up lol.

TheBoyWonder22
04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Too early to tell. A WR, safety, DT, or OLB would be good. Looking at that draft though you really ****** up lol.
I mean I see why you may say that just because the value I gave up, but I really wanted to draft those guys and think they would be awesome for you. I think Gilmore is the most talented corner in the draft and there are guys I like in later rounds who at those positions. I would have gone Kalil, but if I could trade down and get Reiff then I think I would really do it. I'm really bummed that I couldn't really read trade negotiations before the draft or I'd be rolling in picks.

marshallb
04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I mean I see why you may say that just because the value I gave up, but I really wanted to draft those guys and think they would be awesome for you. I think Gilmore is the most talented corner in the draft and there are guys I like in later rounds who at those positions. I would have gone Kalil, but if I could trade down and get Reiff then I think I would really do it. I'm really bummed that I couldn't really read trade negotiations before the draft or I'd be rolling in picks.

I don't mind trading down and grabbing Reiff, but Kalil>>>Reiff + mid 3rd and a 2013 2nd. If you could have gotten anywhere close to solid value for that pick, none of us would have had a problem with it at all and would have been cool with it. Hell, you gave up damn near as much to move up for Gilmore as you got to move down from 3 to 13.

hagy34
04-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Where do you guys stand on Janoris Jenkins? Personally I love his talent at 35, but the thought of him and Chris Cook scares the hell outta me. I'm completely torn. What are the chances hes even on our board?

marshallb
04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't think we'd take Jenkins, although I would love it if we did take him. With all of the run-ins with the law that we've had the past few years, they've gotta be careful, and they've said that they're going to make it a priority to clean things up.

hagy34
04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
With the draft a week away my dream first four rounds look like this:
1st - Matt Kalil -- OT -- USC
2nd - Janoris Jenkins -- CB -- North Alabama
3rd - Marvin Jones -- WR -- California
4th - Chase Minnifield -- CB -- Virginia
4th - Travis Lewis -- LB -- Oklahoma
4th - Ryan Broyles -- WR -- Oklahoma

I know I'm dreaming. Rip away...

marshallb
04-16-2012, 10:03 PM
With the draft a week away my dream first four rounds look like this:
1st - Matt Kalil -- OT -- USC
2nd - Janoris Jenkins -- CB -- North Alabama
3rd - Marvin Jones -- WR -- California
4th - Chase Minnifield -- CB -- Virginia
4th - Travis Lewis -- LB -- Oklahoma
4th - Ryan Broyles -- WR -- Oklahoma

I know I'm dreaming. Rip away...

Personally, I'd rather see a S in there, probably instead of Minnifield. Winfield still has a couple years left and Cook will be back, on top of that, both Bowman and Carr who we just signed can be solid nickel/depth guys for the short term. I'd probably also rather go with a DT than Broyles. Probably someone like Mike Martin. I also prefer several other WR in that 3rd than Jones, but that's just personal opinion. I'd still be very happy if the draft played out that way, but I doubt that the draft would go this well for us.

FuzzyGopher
04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
There's a rumor floating around that the Vikes are really interested in Jeffery at 35. I would love to grab Kalil and Jeffery and I think they could go a long way in aiding Ponder's development.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery

The Dynasty
04-17-2012, 07:41 PM
There's a rumor floating around that the Vikes are really interested in Jeffery at 35. I would love to grab Kalil and Jeffery and I think they could go a long way in aiding Ponder's development.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery

Yeah I saw that earlier today, Im really hoping he is there at 35. Kalil and Jeffery would be my ideal first two picks for the vikes and then obviously go CB/S with our 3rd round pick.

The_Dude
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
yuck. no thanks to jeffery.

i know that the draft is a crap-shoot, but he screams bust to me. big time.

gimme randle or harrison smith in the 2nd

djp
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Do not like Jeffery at all. I really hope someone who wants to bank their future on Tannehill is willing to trade for #3 and leapfrog Cleveland

marshallb
04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
So, in the final forum mock before the draft, I am running the Vikings. I didn't actually apply for them or any team, but someone wanted to co-GM, so I was asked to run the Chargers and then fischbowl, who was assigned the Vikings asked if I wanted to switch, so I ended up running the Vikings.

Anyways, we are halfway through the 3rd round right now, and here's what I've done so far:
1. Matt Kalil
2. Alshon Jeffery
3. Casey Hayward

I really did not want to take Jeffery in the 2nd, but I tried to move down and had 2 offers, both teams wanted Coby Fleener, and one of the teams(Philly) ended up moving up with Indy instead, and then I had no other interest at all. So I had to stay put at 35 and did not like the values at any other position of need, so I felt I had to take Jeffery after Randle and Hill went in the few picks right before ours. I would have liked to move down and then grab either Jeffery or Sanu or go with Harrison Smith, but with no one interested in trading up, that wasn't an option. Personally, I'm not a fan of Jeffery as I don't think he'll be able to consistently create separation in the NFL, but I'm not sure Sanu can do that any better.

In the third I opted to go with Hayward, who I love, and think would be a great fit in our defense and would be a hell of a cover 2 corner.

prock
04-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Not a Jeffry fan, but I wouldn't hate it in the second.

The_Dude
04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
why jeffery over smith if you don't like jeffery? Both are pretty damn big needs for this team.

hagy34
04-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I could live with Jeffery or Smith. I'm a little skeptical that Jeffery will be able to stretch the field though....

marshallb
04-18-2012, 12:23 PM
why jeffery over smith if you don't like jeffery? Both are pretty damn big needs for this team.

Because I don't like Smith that high either. I wouldn't take him until mid 2nd at the earliest and still have Jeffery ranked over him.

hagy34
04-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Because I don't like Smith that high either. I wouldn't take him until mid 2nd at the earliest and still have Jeffery ranked over him.

I think Smith is one of those guys rising way too quickly as the draft approaches. Not that he won't be a good player but I'm not a huge fan of his at 35 either. I could live with it, but wouldnt be overjoyed.

hagy34
04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Planning on doing a Vikings mock again this year. Should I place it here or start its own thread??

marshallb
04-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Planning on doing a Vikings mock again this year. Should I place it here or start its own thread??

Just put it in here.

Vikes99ej
04-18-2012, 03:30 PM
All of a sudden I really want the Vikings to take Claiborne. Good tackles can be found in the later rounds. This is a fact.

princefielder28
04-18-2012, 03:34 PM
All of a sudden I really want the Vikings to take Claiborne. Good tackles can be found in the later rounds. This is a fact.

same can be said about pretty much any position that's not quarterback

hagy34
04-18-2012, 03:41 PM
same can be said about pretty much any position that's not quarterback

So true. We haven't done a thing to upgrade our left side at this point. This team will not improve without building around Ponder.

RollingMoss
04-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Dream Draft

1. Matt Kalil, OT - I'll be very, very disappointed if he's not the pick. Less so if it's Claiborne, but still very, very disappointed.
2. Janoris Jenkins, CB - Never gonna happen for plenty of reasons, don't care. He should be the pick. Locked down AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey (one of these things is not like the other, right?) Consolation pick: Stephen Hill.
3. Brian Quick, WR - I'm sold. He probably won't even be available here. Consolation pick: Chase Minnifield.
4. Tank Carder, LB
4. Marvin McNutt, WR
4. Janzen Jackson, S
5. Rishaw Johnson, G
6. Vontaze Burifict, LB - I know, don't care. Roll the dice.
7. Blake DeChristopher, OL
7. No clue.

marshallb
04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
So an update on the forum mock:

1. Kalil
2. Jeffery
3. Hayward
4. Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
4a. James Michael-Johnson MLB Nevada
4b. Phillip Thomas S Syracuse
5. Devier Posey WR Ohio State

I'm not sure if we needed another corner after taking Hayward, but I couldn't pass up Minnifield in the 4th, especially with the rest of the board at S, LB, and DT. I took Michael-Johnson with the first comp pick due to his value and the fact that we have basically zero depth at LB behind our starters and we can use a MLB with only Brinkley there. I was hoping for Brandon Taylor at S, and had a deal worked out to move up to the mid 4th for him, but he happened to go two picks before that pick, so I backed out. My next target there was Trenton Robinson, who went 2 picks before I was able to take Thomas, but he's not a bad consolation prize. I didn't like the value at DT with our 5th, so I opted to go WR and had a couple WR on my board above those safeties, like Joe Adams who went a couple picks before our first comp pick, and then Jairus Wright went with the last comp in the 4th, so I opted to go with Devier Posey to give Ponder another big target who can also stretch the field.

We're almost near the end of the 5th, and each of my top targets at DT are still there. With our 7ths, I'm going to take anyone of great value who falls, and then probably target OL depth, maybe a RB, and maybe another S or LB.

hagy34
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Who was there at WR aside from Posey?

Also, I really think we can get Minnifield in the 4th. I would be pumped if we landed a 2nd round S/CB and Minnifield in the 4th. Of course I'm under the assumption we get a WR in round 3.

marshallb
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Who was there at WR aside from Posey?

Also, I really think we can get Minnifield in the 4th. I would be pumped if we landed a 2nd round S/CB and Minnifield in the 4th. Of course I'm under the assumption we get a WR in round 3.

No other WR went shortly after I took Posey. The next one taken was Devon Wylie over a half round later, and then Rishard Matthews and Dale Moss in the early 6th. Some other guys still available are: Jermaine Kearse, Patrick Edwards, TJ Graham, Chris Owusu, Travis Benjamin, etc. Really not much...

I took Tydreke Powell, DT North Carolina with our 6th. He was the best 4-3 NT type left, and he's got the talent that with some development time that he could develop into a starter down the line.

hagy34
04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Crazy that Marvin Jones went in round 2. His stock rose quickly. I like him but I'm starting to think his stock is far too high for us to get him. Like your picks though...

hagy34
04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Dream Draft

1. Matt Kalil, OT - I'll be very, very disappointed if he's not the pick. Less so if it's Claiborne, but still very, very disappointed.
2. Janoris Jenkins, CB - Never gonna happen for plenty of reasons, don't care. He should be the pick. Locked down AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey (one of these things is not like the other, right?) Consolation pick: Stephen Hill.

If this happens I will freak out. Jenkins would be sick on this team.

hagy34
04-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I think all this talk is making it even harder for the Vikings to swing a trade. If we truly wanted to trade why not just cool it with the chatter. It reeks of desperation.

hagy34
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Almost done with my final mock draft for us. You guys are going to hate some of the picks but I look forward to the critiques.

marshallb
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
So an update on the forum mock:

1. Kalil
2. Jeffery
3. Hayward
4a. James Michael-Johnson MLB Nevada

I'm not sure if we needed another corner after taking Hayward, but I couldn't pass up Minnifield in the 4th, especially with the rest of the board at S, LB, and DT. I took Michael-Johnson with the first comp pick due to his value and the fact that we have basically zero depth at LB behind our starters and we can use a MLB with only Brinkley there. I was hoping for Brandon Taylor at S, and had a deal worked out to move up to the mid 4th for him, but he happened to go two picks before that pick, so I backed out. My next target there was Trenton Robinson, who went 2 picks before I was able to take Thomas, but he's not a bad consolation prize. I didn't like the value at DT with our 5th, so I opted to go WR and had a couple WR on my board above those safeties, like Joe Adams who went a couple picks before our first comp pick, and then Jairus Wright went with the last comp in the 4th, so I opted to go with Devier Posey to give Ponder another big target who can also stretch the field.

We're almost near the end of the 5th, and each of my top targets at DT are still there. With our 7ths, I'm going to take anyone of great value who falls, and then probably target OL depth, maybe a RB, and maybe another S or LB.

I'm now finished with the Vikings in the forum mock.

1. Matt Kalil OT USC
2. Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
3. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt
4a. James Michael-Johnson LB Nevada
6. Tydreke Powell DT North Carolina
7. Joe Looney OG Wake Forest
7a. Jamie Blatnick DE Oklahoma State

I was busy this evening and missed the clock on my last pick and was given Blatnick, which is fine, but I would have went with either a RB or S, probably Kelcie McCray, S, Arkansas St. I felt like Looney was an excellent value in the early 7th as I think he could go as early as the 5th in the real draft, and I thought about him in the 6th, but opted to go with Powell given the need at DT and the fact that DT was starting to dry up, so getting him in the 7th made me very happy.

Overall, I was very happy with how things went. I wish a few guys had fallen a couple more picks to us, but **** happens, and I'll probably end up more happy with this than the real thing come Saturday when it's all done.

General Zod
04-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Id be happy with either Kalil or Claiborne. Kalil is pick everyone is making. But Claiborne wouldn't shock me either just because of having A. Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler in our division. Im not in love with the idea of taking Blackmon at 3. He just doesn't seem like an "elite" WR to me. I myself have different rankings for this years WR prospects then a lot of people. I think that Blackmon and Floyd are neck and neck, with the edge to Blackmon just because of durability and character. My rankings go something like this...

1a. Justin Blackmon
1b. Michael Floyd

2a. Stephen Hill(edge to Hill with better speed.)
2b. Rueben Randle

3. Kendall Wright
4. Brian Quick
5. Chris Givins
6. Alshon Jeffery
7. AJ Jenkins
8. Mohamed Sanu
9. TY Hilton
10. Ryan Broyles

hagy34
04-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Alright guys here is what I have for my final mock. Go ahead and hammer me. But throw me some rep if you like some of the picks, I need some! Thanks!

1::3::3 Matt Kalil
2::3::35 Janoris Jenkins
3::3::66 George Iloka
4::3::98 Marvin Jones
4::33::128 Travis Lewis
4::39::134 Tommy Streeter
5::3::138 Adam Gettis
6::5::175 Asa Jackson
7::3::210 Cliff Harris
7::16::223 Kellen Moore

I'd explain each pick but I don't have time at the moment. If you ask questions I'll respond!

Vikings4ever
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Pro Football Talk:

The Vikings might have a market for the third overall pick, after all.

Charley Casserly of CBS Sports and NFL Network is reporting that the left tackle-needy Buffalo Bills “would like to trade up” to draft USC’s Matt Kalil, and are willing to surrender a second-round pick to close the deal.

While it’s sensible that the Bills would target a left tackle, the approach in Casserly’s report hints that Buffalo believes itself to be one player away from serious playoff, even Super Bowl contention. Most observers would probably disagree with that notion. But if G.M. Buddy Nix has identified Kalil as a truly elite, franchise-caliber left tackle capable of making quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick better, there shouldn’t be anyone trying to stop him.

While the old draft trade chart is admittedly outdated, it’s at least worth a look here. Per the old chart, Buffalo’s Nos. 10 and 41 overall picks equate to 1,790 “points.” The third overall pick is worth 2,200 points, and No. 4′s value is 1,800 points. So the Bills could get just shy of the fourth pick based on the old points system.

I wouldn't like a trade down that far for only a second, but Buffalo's 1, 2, and next year's one would be worth 2280 according to the chart. If they offered that, I'd be tempted.

The Dynasty
04-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Pro Football Talk:

I wouldn't like a trade down that far for only a second, but Buffalo's 1, 2, and next year's one would be worth 2280 according to the chart. If they offered that, I'd be tempted.

If they gave up their 1st, 2nd and next years 1.. I would take that and gladly drop down to 10 and then take Floyd, Gilmore, Kuechly, or Barron. We have so many holes as a team right now we need to trade down and get as many picks as possible. I really hope we can trade down with at least the Bucs and at least pick up an extra third.

Vikes99ej
04-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Did anyone see the simulation on NFL Live today? It was pretty cool.

vikes_28
04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Did anyone see the simulation on NFL Live today? It was pretty cool.

I saw it. I liked the outcome. I like the idea of trading down with the bucs. With that, we're still almost guaranteed that we get either Claiborne or Kalil. Plus we pick up a few extra picks.

hagy34
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Countdown is on! I hope to god we can move down to 5.

prock
04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
That'd be cool, but man we just need to take Kalil and not **** this up. All these rumors are making me nervous.

hagy34
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
That'd be cool, but man we just need to take Kalil and not **** this up. All these rumors are making me nervous.

They've been making me nervous for a while. More so because I think Spielman looks like an idiot. If we take Kalil I'm happy. If we take Claiborne I'll be ok with it as well. If we take Blackmon I'll be upset.

General Zod
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
They've been making me nervous for a while. More so because I think Spielman looks like an idiot. If we take Kalil I'm happy. If we take Claiborne I'll be ok with it as well. If we take Blackmon I'll be upset.

I agree. This draft is pretty deep with quality WRs. Lets save it our later picks and just take Kalil/Claiborne with our first pick.

hagy34
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I agree. This draft is pretty deep with quality WRs. Lets save it our later picks and just take Kalil/Claiborne with our first pick.

I'm a big Marvin Jones fan in the middle. So hopefully we dont **** it up. Cmon Spielman...

the_legend_killer
04-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Casserly on NFL Network said both Cleveland and Tampa Bay have talked with Minnesota about moving up for Trent Richardson. Not sure what they'd gain, but that would be best case scenario IMO. Move down, grab a pick or two and still get either Kalil or Claiborne. We'll see if that happens.

hagy34
04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Casserly on NFL Network said both Cleveland and Tampa Bay have talked with Minnesota about moving up for Trent Richardson. Not sure what they'd gain, but that would be best case scenario IMO. Move down, grab a pick or two and still get either Kalil or Claiborne. We'll see if that happens.

This is best case for Minnesota by far. Even if we just get a 3rd.

marshallb
04-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I hope to god I'm wrong, but I just have a feeling that we won't take Kalil. :cry:

russie
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I hope to god I'm wrong, but I just have a feeling that we won't take Kalil. :cry:

Report: Claiborne is No. 1 player on Vikings draft board

Posted by Evan Silva on April 26, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT

Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, NFL Network’s Steve Wyche reports that LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne is the No. 1 player on the Vikings’ draft board, and they are “leaning toward” drafting Claiborne with the No. 3 overall pick.

Per Wyche, the Vikings also “like [Claiborne] more” than USC tackle Matt Kalil.

Appearing on ESPN’s NFL Draft Special Thursday, Adam Schefter seemed to agree with the notion that Claiborne is the favorite to be drafted with the third overall pick.

“There seems to be a feeling that they might be leaning toward Morris Claiborne while still considering Matt Kalil,” Schefter said.

The Vikings’ priority remains trading down, but if they stick to their draft board, Claiborne will be the third pick in the draft and a mini-slide could be in order for this year’s top-rated offensive tackle.

with the fragile chad pennington, sorry, christian ponder, at qb, i'm not very happy with this, but when have the vikes ever done anything to protect their qb?

Vikes99ej
04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm not going to complain either way we go. I will be ecstatic with either Kalil or Claiborne. Both will be great improvements. Here's to a franchise-changing draft.

http://www.thegirlsguidetobeer.com/Portals/100483/images/beer-cheers-toasting.jpg

hagy34
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Love that trade. Got some extra picks for nothing. Great move Spielman.

Vikings4ever
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Report is the Browns gave up 4, 5, and 7 to move up a spot.

Basically got free picks, but I was hoping for more. Figure we could have gotten at least a 3 got of Tampa, maybe even a 2. Maybe Tampa wasn't looking to trade up?

Vikings4ever
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Kalil!

I would have been OK with Claiborne, but Kalil was my number 1 choice.

marshallb
04-26-2012, 07:37 PM
So ******* happy with this draft so far. Getting Kalil plus several picks is about as good as it can get.

DHVF
04-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Absolutely loving Speilman right now. Beautiful start.

marshallb
04-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Absolutely loving Speilman right now. Beautiful start.

Everyone had been criticizing him the past couple days, but he's coming out like a genius. Everything he did worked out perfectly.

Taber21
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Rick Spielman has made another move, Harrison Smtih is the pick. I like the pick, maybe higher than expected but the need is unquestioned.

marshallb
04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Rick Spielman has made this draft his *****.

He's done a great job so far. I'm not a huge fan of Smith this high, but I do like him quite a bit, and it's not like we gave up a whole lot to get him, combining that deal with the Cleveland one all we did was move down in the 4th and pick up a 5th and 7th. All this while filling our biggest needs, OT and DB.

Vikes99ej
04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
i'm definitely happy tonight

wogitalia
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Happy... Can't help but feel like we gave away a valuable pick to take Smith half a dozen slots higher than we could have anyway but can't fault that as we need a safety in the worst possible way and Smith is solid.

We nailed the Kalil move, we have so many holes that all those extra picks should produce starters if used well.

First time we've got out of round 1 in a while that has felt good to me which is a nice feeling, now I know how Steelers fans feel every single year...

The Dynasty
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm definitely going to bed happy tonight haha. That trade with Cleveland was great by Spielman. We got our franchise LT for the next 15 years. Then we got a Safety that we have needed for years too. Can't wait to see what we do now in the 3rd round. Hopefully a WR falls to us like a Quick. When we traded up i thought we were going with Stephen Hill. We have 10 picks in the next two days, we could easily pull the trigger and move up again.