PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Review

MI_Buckeye
05-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Part 4. I will get to the Buffalo Bills either later tonight or early tomorrow.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Where did the franchise stand before the draft:
One of the most consistent and successful franchises in all of sports; The Pittsburgh Steelers came within one quarter last season of claiming of claiming their seventh world championship.

They have one of the best QBs in the league, the last two Defensive Player of the Year winners, and pro bowlers at virtually every level of the offense and defense. They must not need much right? Wrong. In fact, the Steelers had some needs as pronounced as any team in the league.

CB Ike Taylor is a free agent, leaving an already suspect secondary in dire need of difference makers on the edge. In spite of 2010 first round pick Maurkice Pounceys virtuoso performance at center last season, the offensive line still has gaping holes almost everywhere else.

The Steelers are one of the best teams in the league, but to maintain that status, the 2011 NFL Draft was critical.

The Picks

Round One, Pick 31: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

Sitting in an awkard position, the Steelers obviously did not see the value to address their key needs at OL and CB, so they went after one of the best players available at arguably the teams deepest position heading into the 2011 season.

It doesn’t take a genius to realize the blue-collar Heyward is a cultural and schematic fit for Pittsburgh. A DE hovering around 300 pounds, Heyward prefers power to speed, violence to finesse. There were times during Heyward’s four year career at OSU that he looked like an eventual elite prospect, but not enough of them.

Still, Heyward emerged as a solid first round pick, even in a draft stacked at 3-4 DE. Heyward has never played in a base 3-4, but he has played the two-gap technique often and has actually been more productive doing that than trying to be an upfield penetrator.

The Steelers still have long-time stalwarts Aaron Smtih and Brett The Beard Keisel, and 2009 first round pick Ziggy Hood looks like a future pro bowler, so the need of this pick can be questioned. However, Smith and Keisel are both 32, and who knows what their long-term status is with the franchise. Also, don’t be surprised if Heyward is competitive with all three ends whenever training camp begins.

Round Two, Pick 63: Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

After going for value in round one, Pittsburgh decided to start addressing their needs in round two, beginning with light-footed developmental OT Marcus Gilbert.

Because of his feet, Gilbert was once talked about as a dark horse first rounder, but that talk quickly subsided once game film indicated a lack of consistency and physicality. Some are saying, Gilbert can kick inside to guard, but at over 6 feet 6 and 330 pounds, Gilbert would probably serve both himself and the Steelers better developing at LT, possibly RT as well.

He probably doesn’t offer a significant upgrade immediately, but there is a lot there to work with.

Round Three, Pick 95: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

Players in the third round are typically either really good college football players who don’t stand out in any one particular area or guys with huge upside but are unproven. Brown fits the former to a tee.

Playing opposite Aaron Williams last season, Brown has plenty of experience, starting three years for an elite program in a pass-heavy conference. Brown plays good technique and is fast enough to run with receivers downfield, however he sometimes gets lost in transition and is only average in the running game.

If Taylor moves on in free agency, Brown should move into the nickel position. Brown is a great special teams player as well and should have a core real in that area.

Round Four, Pick 128: Cortez Allen, CB, Citadel

After pillaging from the college football bourgeoisie in the first three rounds, the Steelers went off the map in round four to take a high-upside CB from the Citadel of all place.

I never got around to seeing much of Allen outside of a few highlight tapes, but even in those, his strength and explosvieness really jump out at you. He seems talented enough to play press coverage at the next level with proper technical coaching.

Round Five, Pick 162: Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

A true value pick, Carter has been one of the NCAAs best pass rushers the past few seasons, recording 13 sacks last season He is only around 240 pounds, so he needed to move from his college DE position, but he has a very quick twitch and should find a way to be productive as a pure edge rusher.

With James Harrison and Lamar Woodley still on the roster and Jason Worilds coming off a promising rookie season, Carter will have an uphill battle to make an impact year one, if he is even able to overcome the logjam at the position and make the roster.

Round Six, Pick 196: Keith Williams, OG, Nebraska

Williams is a beefy brawler without great foot quickness. He should add depth at a position that really needs it, but probably won’t ever develop into anything more than a situational starter.

Round Seven, Pick 232: Baron Batch, RB, Texas Tech

A surprise pick, Batch is a back from a pass-heavy spread system who will have to make the squad on special teams and as a third down pass catcher and blitz blocker. Batch does not have great physical tools; his upside is very limited.

All in all:
You can’t fault the Steelers too much for going value over need in the first round, especially since the value at their areas of need left a lot to be desired. Heyward should be a core member of this franchise for years to come.

However, I am just not sure how much better the Steelers are after this draft or how this class will make them better in years to come. Gilbert and Brown are only okay. Allen and Carter offer upside, but are projects who might not work out.

If past history has taught me anything, it is that there will probably be someone in this class who surprises, but I suspect when we look back on this draft in a few years, it will simply be an incidental Steelers draft, not one that helped frame the future of the organization like last years class.

Draft Grade: C+

tenorx
05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
A very nice article, but Smith is already 35, turning 36 in September :)

JFINK11
05-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Not bad analysis but missing the point of a Steelers draft. We dont reach. Gilibert will be at the least a pretty good right tackle in the league. Pouncey will ensure that being that they were best friends at Florida. My bet is one, if not both, of the two corners will be a starter in 2-3 years and stay there for a relatively long period of time. That would give them 3 starters in this draft....then you throw in a Steelers style pick of Carter and you have what is really just a perfect "Steelers" draft. Parcells said it best. When you go away from principles, those are where the mistakes are made. The Steelers, despite lockout concerns, stuck to their MO. You have to give them at least a B for this very reason. Our "best" rated draft in the past few years was considered as such in large part because we got Limas Sweed in Round 2. In hindsight we got Mendenhall and reserve safety Ryan Mundy as the only 2 contributors from that class. We got stronger in the trenches and then swung for the fences on some projects.

B+, in my mind who would you have them take instead of who they had taken?

2 other notes

- Aaron Smith hasnt finished the past 2 seasons, Keisel 32, Hood playing great......so you have one young starter and 2 old ones....how is this not an area of need? Not to mention Hampton being 33. Different positions but stronger Ends will help ease of alleviate the potential drop off in his play.

- Dick Lebeau is a OSU alum....the OSU coaching staff picks his brain every off season and runs a 34 package with regularity. Not their base defense but they do use it.

Shane P. Hallam
05-11-2011, 09:05 AM
- Dick Lebeau is a OSU alum....the OSU coaching staff picks his brain every off season and runs a 34 package with regularity. Not their base defense but they do use it.

They use it on 3rd downs.

K Train
05-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Round One, Pick 31: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
Sitting in an awkard position, the Steelers obviously did not see the value to address their key needs at OL and CB, so they went after one of the best players available at arguably the teams deepest position heading into the 2011 season.
It doesn’t take a genius to realize the blue-collar Heyward is a cultural and schematic fit for Pittsburgh. A DE hovering around 300 pounds, Heyward prefers power to speed, violence to finesse. There were times during Heyward’s four year career at OSU that he looked like an eventual elite prospect, but not enough of them.
Still, Heyward emerged as a solid first round pick, even in a draft stacked at 3-4 DE. Heyward has never played in a base 3-4, but he has played the two-gap technique often and has actually been more productive doing that than trying to be an upfield penetrator.
The Steelers still have long-time stalwarts Aaron Smtih and Brett The Beard Keisel, and 2009 first round pick Ziggy Hood looks like a future pro bowler, so the need of this pick can be questioned. However, Smith and Keisel are both 32, and who knows what their long-term status is with the franchise. Also, don’t be surprised if Heyward is competitive with all three ends whenever training camp begins.

DE is not the deepest position on the defense...they are old on the dline and hood was pathetically terrible until the last 5 games of last year. Keisel has calf problems and smith keeps tearing his arm.

All along i have viewed Cameron Heyward as the best 3-4 Defensive End prospect in the draft. He is easily one of the top 10 senior prospects and would fall around 10-12 in my overall ratings. He has elite intangibles, bloodlines, size, and commitment to the game. At 6-5 nearly 300 pounds he has both the length and bulk to be a true master of the 5 tech position, one of the hardest positions to play in a 34 defense.

He fell in the draft to slot 31 because other potential 5 techs such as JJ Watt. Cam Jordan, and Muhummad Wilkerson made it somewhat rare class of 34 lineman. All of them are better pass rushers than Heyward, but we already have a player in that mold in hood. What the steelers got here is a replacement for Aaron smith, something i would never have confidence in hood to become. Hood does have better pass rushing skills that have him very well suited for Keisels spot on the right side, making this pick even more perfect.

As a rookie i dont expect him to be anything more than a rotational player by design, but you never know with Smith and Keisels injuries he may get a considerable amount of playing time. Heyward makes the secondary better by a considerable amount, so those of you too concerned with drafting a corner just think about this....a player that benefits from a true 5 tech on the LE spot is the LOLB, so i would expect woodley (or whoever) to truly be much better in this scenerio than if it were hood, and woodley is notorious for starting the season out slow. Hood has the ability to penetrate and get pressure, Heyward has the ability to stonewall blockers, sustain blocks, and collapse the pocket.

Round Two, Pick 63: Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
After going for value in round one, Pittsburgh decided to start addressing their needs in round two, beginning with light-footed developmental OT Marcus Gilbert.
Because of his feet, Gilbert was once talked about as a dark horse first rounder, but that talk quickly subsided once game film indicated a lack of consistency and physicality. Some are saying, Gilbert can kick inside to guard, but at over 6 feet 6 and 330 pounds, Gilbert would probably serve both himself and the Steelers better developing at LT, possibly RT as well.
He probably doesn’t offer a significant upgrade immediately, but there is a lot there to work with.

Marcus Gilbert selected by the steelers in the second round provides many things...takes care of a huge need with the oline, is a quality value, and adds chemistry to the line with the gator conenction we have with former team mates now.

Gilbert is a massive man at 6-6 330, but for a man that size he shows incredible quickness, agility, and pass protecting skills. Not the most powerful tackle but he does a great job of sealing the edge and while not a domination run blocker it is not for a lack of effort.

With his nimble feet he will likely be groomed as a future LT, but i would expect him to mean the end of tony hills, possibly trai essex right away. With flo returning it will give gilbert a chance to get stronger and play with flo at RT on a rotational basis since flo often gets banged up or needs to be spelled for a series or two. Hopefully this does happen and he can get his feet wet as a rookie playing RT part time. He also will likely compete as a RG and at least get used to playing on a pro level before he kicks out to tackle which is where his long term future is. He has pulling ability that the coaches seem to like and is a good enough athlete to be effective at the second level. i see him i see a poor mans brick ferguson. Not the strongest guy and not a great run blocker early on but has all the tools to become one while mastering pass blocking skills.

Hopefully he will work his way up to being the backup at LT as a rookie because jonathan scott is truly terrible. All in all i love the pick and the value. Not gonna lie i was rooting for brown HARD when they were on the clock...but i was not disappointed with this pick who i have had on my radar for months now as a potential steeler target. Taking him made as much sense as taking curtis brown, and i really like how that turned out.

Round Three, Pick 95: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
Players in the third round are typically either really good college football players who don’t stand out in any one particular area or guys with huge upside but are unproven. Brown fits the former to a tee.
Playing opposite Aaron Williams last season, Brown has plenty of experience, starting three years for an elite program in a pass-heavy conference. Brown plays good technique and is fast enough to run with receivers downfield, however he sometimes gets lost in transition and is only average in the running game.
If Taylor moves on in free agency, Brown should move into the nickel position. Brown is a great special teams player as well and should have a core real in that area.

I love browns coverage abililty and his ability to jump. for a 185 pound guy hes a good tackler and will get better because even though guys like mcfadden and *** suck ass in coverage they are terrific tacklers, its something the coaches spend alot of time on with everyone but troy.
Aaron williams to me was the best overall football player on the texas roster, hed be a CB on some teams, a FS on some but overall he was the superior football player and just an all around good defensive back. Curtis brown is definitely the best pure CB out of the bunch, 6-0 185 pounds he showed great technique and smooth transitions in drills at the combine and imo was only second to Brandon Harris as far as CB drills went. Chykie Brown was the best athlete of the 3, but has a long way to go as being a pro CB.

Brown has ideal quickness and agility to step in as a rookie and get playing time as a nickel back. *** is likely on his way out the door and Brown should be able to step right in for him. His quickness will help cover guys like welker, jackson, bess, and the sneakier slot WRs that *** and mcfadden had trouble with in the solt role. I would project Ike as LCB, Mcfadden/Butler splitting time as RCB, and Brown/Butler splitting time as NB in 2012.

Tremendous value in the 3rd round, imo about 4 CBs went before him who were inferior talents. I think hes got a future as a starter on the team, his quickness and technique give us the best man to man cover guy on our roster in brown. Im really really excited about the steelers top 3 picks, i woud not be able to fine a better combination of 3 picks that would have been better fit/need/value ratios.

Round Four, Pick 128: Cortez Allen, CB, Citadel
After pillaging from the college football bourgeoisie in the first three rounds, the Steelers went off the map in round four to take a high-upside CB from the Citadel of all place.
I never got around to seeing much of Allen outside of a few highlight tapes, but even in those, his strength and explosvieness really jump out at you. He seems talented enough to play press coverage at the next level with proper technical coaching.

He draws comparions to ike for reasons that hes big, fast, and from a small school...im not sure what his upside is a DB but hopefully he'll be a replacment for anthony madison on ST who imo is just dead weight.

Round Five, Pick 162: Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
A true value pick, Carter has been one of the NCAAs best pass rushers the past few seasons, recording 13 sacks last season He is only around 240 pounds, so he needed to move from his college DE position, but he has a very quick twitch and should find a way to be productive as a pure edge rusher.
With James Harrison and Lamar Woodley still on the roster and Jason Worilds coming off a promising rookie season, Carter will have an uphill battle to make an impact year one, if he is even able to overcome the logjam at the position and make the roster.

He will likely take over harrisons backup and allow timmons to not always have to be ready to slide outside if harrison gets hurt. Worilds didnt really have a promising rookie year, i think he got some playing time against the one team and got some pressure off the right side but he was pretty unimpressive...i think hes gonna be a lot like clark haggans in that hes the guy to almost get there but not quite. steelers should have kept thaddeus gibson. Carter was probably the BPA but i would have prefered powe or greg jones or someone of a more immediate need

Round Six, Pick 196: Keith Williams, OG, Nebraska
Williams is a beefy brawler without great foot quickness. He should add depth at a position that really needs it, but probably won’t ever develop into anything more than a situational starter.

He is alot like kemoeatu, hopefully he can push hills, scott, and essex off the team at some point

Round Seven, Pick 232: Baron Batch, RB, Texas Tech
A surprise pick, Batch is a back from a pass-heavy spread system who will have to make the squad on special teams and as a third down pass catcher and blitz blocker. Batch does not have great physical tools; his upside is very limited.

you dont hear much about the RB from a TT offense but he is likely going to be mewelde moores 3rd down back replacement

i persoanlly loved this draft, the steelers dont have many glaring needs but they addressed the 3 biggest ones early with players i was really high on all along. i dont know how this isnt considered a good draft by the majority of the world, it was really excellent...especially when you compare it to the 09 draft of evander hood, kraig urbik, mike wallace wallace, keenan lewis, joe burnett, frank summers, and david johnson. and only 2 will be on the team next year most likely and hood has been improving, but still pretty unspectacular at being a 5 tech

FordFairlane
05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
This where the Steelers always grade out on draft day. Of course three or five years later they'll have snagged two or three starters and a back-up or two.

Echoes
05-13-2011, 09:49 PM
There's talk that Aaron Smith might officially be done. Apparently he's not healing well and still isn't 100%. To suffer the major injuries he's had at his NFL age, at this point I don't think he can be counted on to be a NFL starter anymore. Although Ziggy Hood really turned it on in the last half of the season, you've still got a lot of age in Brett Keisel, and the Steelers like the rotate their maulers up front. While Heyward was a BPA pick for the Steelers, you can make a good argument it fits a need, especially given their draft strategy: they don't draft for immediate needs per say, but more for 2-3 years on down the line. That's why they took Mendenhall when they still had Willie Parker, that's why they took Ziggy Hood when they had Aaron Smith, why they took Jason Worilds when they had Harrison/Woodley, and that's why they took Heyward now.

Gilbert is very similar to Max Starks, except I feel he is better on the right side whereas Starks is a better player on the left side (for some reason, Starks is actually a better player at LT than at RT). Gilbert also has better feet and is a better natural pass protector. Flozell Adams did a nice job last season filling in for Colon (who I expect the Steelers to let walk depending on a new CBA getting done), and I think they'll groom Gilbert behind him for a season at RT.

Brown will immediately compete with William *** for the starting corner spot, and Cortez Allen will compete with Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler for two spots (I expect Keenan Lewis to be the odd man out). Carter is a nice looking athlete who they'll put on special teams much like many other LBs they've drafted and groom him for a few years, and Batch will compete with Dwyer for a spot on the 53 (I don't believe the Steelers will pursue bringing back Mewelde Moore).

phlysac
05-13-2011, 10:23 PM
There's talk that Aaron Smith might officially be done. Apparently he's not healing well and still isn't 100%. To suffer the major injuries he's had at his NFL age, at this point I don't think he can be counted on to be a NFL starter anymore. Although Ziggy Hood really turned it on in the last half of the season, you've still got a lot of age in Brett Keisel, and the Steelers like the rotate their maulers up front. While Heyward was a BPA pick for the Steelers, you can make a good argument it fits a need

DE was definitely a need as far as most familiar with the Steelers were concerned. You summed it up perfectly and those that have claimed Heyward didn't fit a need aren't familiar enough with the Steelers'5-Techs.

just my $0.02.

ellsy82
05-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks, KTrain. That was indepth and deserving of recognition. I disagree with the first round pick. Sure, we won't have to worry about drafting a DE for the next decade, but what about the other area's we're lacking in?

Here's my dream draft...and it could've happened:

1. Derek Sherrod, OT
2. Randall Cobb, WR
3. Curtis Brown, CB
4. Cortez Allen, CB
5. Chris Carter, OLB
6. Keith Williams, OG
7. Lawrence Guy, DE

That would've given us everything we needed. Guy should've been a 4th rounder...but fell, and I'd gladly take him there.

In reality, we basically got the same draft, minus Randal Cobb. Heyward is not a 2G penetrator. He's a 34 end only. We could've waited for Chris Carter of UCLA or even Guy in our last selection. This draft is 50/50 for me. I give it a C+ as well. Only because Brown in the third, saved the entire draft.

I will point out this...Houston...You are forever on my shitlist for picking Roc Carmichael one pick ahead of the Steelers. Not only pick him, but move up to do so. I will hate you forever.

phlysac
05-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks, KTrain. That was indepth and deserving of recognition. I disagree with the first round pick. Sure, we won't have to worry about drafting a DE for the next decade, but what about the other area's we're lacking in?

1. Derek Sherrod, OT
2. Randall Cobb, WR
3. Curtis Brown, CB
4. Cortez Allen, CB
5. Chris Carter, OLB
6. Keith Williams, OG
7. Lawrence Guy, DE

That would've given us everything we needed. Guy should've been a 4th rounder...but fell, and I'd gladly take him there.

In reality, we basically got the same draft, minus Randal Cobb. Heyward is not a 2G penetrator. He's a 34 end only. We could've waited for Chris Carter of UCLA or even Guy in our last selection. This draft is 50/50 for me. I give it a C+ as well. Only because Brown in the third, saved the entire draft.

I will point out this...Houston...You are forever on my shitlist for picking Roc Carmichael one pick ahead of the Steelers. Not only pick him, but move up to do so. I will hate you forever.

I don't get the Cobb pick being so important with Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown all so young. And who knows if Limas Sweed might still have a future. Unless you eyed Cobb more as he heir to Mewelde Moore.

K Train
05-14-2011, 01:02 AM
There's talk that Aaron Smith might officially be done. Apparently he's not healing well and still isn't 100%. To suffer the major injuries he's had at his NFL age, at this point I don't think he can be counted on to be a NFL starter anymore. Although Ziggy Hood really turned it on in the last half of the season, you've still got a lot of age in Brett Keisel, and the Steelers like the rotate their maulers up front. While Heyward was a BPA pick for the Steelers, you can make a good argument it fits a need, especially given their draft strategy: they don't draft for immediate needs per say, but more for 2-3 years on down the line. That's why they took Mendenhall when they still had Willie Parker, that's why they took Ziggy Hood when they had Aaron Smith, why they took Jason Worilds when they had Harrison/Woodley, and that's why they took Heyward now.

Gilbert is very similar to Max Starks, except I feel he is better on the right side whereas Starks is a better player on the left side (for some reason, Starks is actually a better player at LT than at RT). Gilbert also has better feet and is a better natural pass protector. Flozell Adams did a nice job last season filling in for Colon (who I expect the Steelers to let walk depending on a new CBA getting done), and I think they'll groom Gilbert behind him for a season at RT.

Brown will immediately compete with William *** for the starting corner spot, and Cortez Allen will compete with Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler for two spots (I expect Keenan Lewis to be the odd man out). Carter is a nice looking athlete who they'll put on special teams much like many other LBs they've drafted and groom him for a few years, and Batch will compete with Dwyer for a spot on the 53 (I don't believe the Steelers will pursue bringing back Mewelde Moore).
i think they keep colon, maybe try him at guard like everyone has wanted for the last 3 years. starks is better at LT because hes left handed, he was an ok RT but really he should have been great...he fits a RT perfectly. gilbert is a LT to me with his light feet and pass blocking skills. i think he might get to play guard for a year and rotate at RT when hes needed but he does have the pulling ability to play guard.

i think dwyer and batch both make it over moore...moore is old and he was used as a pass blocker and receiver on third down when mendenhall sucked at blocking but at this point mendy is a far superior blocker.

K Train
05-14-2011, 01:10 AM

1. Derek Sherrod, OT
2. Randall Cobb, WR
3. Curtis Brown, CB
4. Cortez Allen, CB
5. Chris Carter, OLB
6. Keith Williams, OG
7. Lawrence Guy, DE

heyward is so perfect for the steelers its not even funny. hood isnt, but thats old news...i really like hood as a RDE to generate a pass rush though because thats how keisel got started, basicalyy being a wedgebusting STer and playing DE for kimo when he left as being essentially a gigantic linebacker and growing into his role....hood is a UT that can grow into his role. im real excited about heyward, i seriously think he can be a master of the posisiton

i like roc but hes not a steeler corner, a weak tackler at corner isnt something they want no matter how good he is in coverage.

cobb is good but i dont see that kind of WR as a big need...we got wallace who was once a one trick pony but is really growing into a more complete WR, ward who is a glorified mini TE at this point and brown/sanders who are bot great, but kind of slot guys....we need sweed to step his **** up to give a big, physical presence on the outside...im still rooting for him.

sherrod reminds me of marvel smith a little, but i had fears hed be like chris williams and fail at the next level, not a first rounder imo....im happy with the oline as is, RG remains a ??? and i do think kemoeatu is terrible and should have gone to the jets a few years ago but whatever thats old news, hopefully he can play up to his contract and be a useful LG

ellsy82
05-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Hey...Like I said, I don't mind the draft we got. I wanted a year one starter on the OL. If that doesn't happen with Kugler and Gilbert, then I downgrade this draft to a D+. If Gilbert can't beat out Old man Adams or at least split time with him, I'm gonna be pissed.

I had Gilbert as a solid third, possible early 4th rounder. When we selected him with 2.63, I **** myself. Was not happy, but getting Brown at 95 allowed me to walk out of day two without a complete conniption.

JFINK11
05-15-2011, 10:56 PM
We dont need another slot WR (Randall Cobb). My bet is they will hope Emmanuel Sanders or Antonio Brown develops further into a No. 2 although I still have doubts about Mike Wallace being a No. 1. If we were going to draft a WR it shouldve been with the goal of them being a potential number one.

(reason why i think Mike Wallace's ability to be a number one is because without the games of Cleveland and Carolina (bad defenses).....Tampa Bay (one of the worst secondaries in the nfl)....and NE (blow out where we just throwing deep every play) his numbers (if average across the season wouldve dropped to 57 catches 1050 yards and 4 touchdowns) are not that impressive and he was virtually absent from the playoffs.

That being said. This draft was great. 3-4 starters and some potential special teams and depth contributors. Impact players maybe missing but solid starters are a valuable commodity.

K Train
05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
mike wallace is becoming much more well rounded....when ward got banged up against NE wallace became a man. he was fightinh for extra yards, breaking tackles, and showing he can be more than a deep threat. i love his future...hes got the speed, the ball adjustment ability and the hands...but hes really putting it all together. im saying a 3rd year breakout for him, and his first 2 years were great for a young WRs standards

FordFairlane
05-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Mike Wallace's bread and butter will always be the deep ball. But he has shown the ability to go over the middle, come back for a catch, and the ability for a slip screen now and again. If Sanders and Brown continue to develop we should be fine at WR for the next five years.

Iamcanadian
05-16-2011, 10:51 AM
You cannot solve everything in one draft. They stuck to their board and drafted the BPA.
They can still use a stud at LT but did try to fill a need on the OL with Gilbert, whether he is the answer on the left side still remains to be seen.

Shane P. Hallam
05-16-2011, 11:40 AM
You cannot solve everything in one draft. They stuck to their board and drafted the BPA.
They can still use a stud at LT but did try to fill a need on the OL with Gilbert, whether he is the answer on the left side still remains to be seen.

Doesn't even look like they will try him on the left side for awhile.

Iamcanadian
05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Doesn't even look like they will try him on the left side for awhile.

It seems that they like to work their OT's in slowly and when they have experience, give them a shot at LT. I would have never thought Max Starks could be a NFL starter at LT.