PDA

View Full Version : James Jones, Cullen Jenkins

J-Mike88
05-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Will either guy be back this season?

Coombser
05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
The selection of Cobb tells me that Jones is now even less likely to stay - he has a reputation for drops, but he also makes some stunning plays too (check out the games @Minnesota and Falcons round 2) so some team that needs a starter will take a chance on him.

Jenkins I'm hoping will stay but I think he may be gone. He'll be a big loss, 3-4 ends who can rush the passer as consistently as him are a rare enough breed. Yes the Pack's system favours guys like Neal and Wilson who've shown promise at it, But Jenkins is the only one who's a proven asset there...

PackerLegend
05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Both guys will stay out of pure hope :D

SuperPacker
05-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Neither will stay. Jenkins has said they havent even contacted him on a new contract through the whole of last season and there is no point bringing back Jones when we have Cobb

PackerLegend
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I think the whole they have contacted him is a little overblown. With the whole labor mess looming im not entirely sure they were in a huge rush to. Instead they would just opt to wait and see how it all plays out. Jenkins was on the radio and said he would like to stay and he would be willing to take less money. You cant tell me the Packers are going to make no attempt to resign him and just let him go. Plus it doesnt matter at all right now because nobody can be signed. They were also working on the AJ Hawk deal. Cutting him and then resigning him to a new deal just before the lockout began.

James Jones has had his moments. It was such a rollercoaster this year that we seem to forget how good he was at times. Yes we do have Cobb now but you can never have enough weapons. A pipe dream would be to have them both back but thats probably highly unlikely. With Nelson stepping up during our playoff run he might push Jones out the door. Hopefully meaning we will keep Cullen.

BloodBrother
05-05-2011, 10:01 PM
If it goes by 2010 rules that means Jones isn't a FA I thought? They could always tag Jenkins

For some reason I think Jenkins comes back. On ESPNMilwaukee, he said he would give Green Bay a hometown discount. Who knows what they do. They have quite a few big name guys coming up for FA soon. Finley, Nelson, Sitton, Raji and CMIII which will obviously play a role in whether they want to shell out the money to keep a guy who is 30 years old and has had injuries the last few seasons.

cvv84
05-06-2011, 04:35 PM
If it goes by 2010 rules that means Jones isn't a FA I thought?

That is correct. Many teams don't expect those rules to apply though but they covered themselves just in case.

They could always tag Jenkins

For some reason I think Jenkins comes back. On ESPNMilwaukee, he said he would give Green Bay a hometown discount. Who knows what they do. They have quite a few big name guys coming up for FA soon. Finley, Nelson, Sitton, Raji and CMIII which will obviously play a role in whether they want to shell out the money to keep a guy who is 30 years old and has had injuries the last few seasons.

There's little to no chance that they'd tag Jenkins. The franchise tag would net him $12.9 million which isn't a figure the Packers would pay.

johbur
05-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Both are talented, but both are flawed. Both also have up-and-coming and new replacements (Nelson and Cobb for Jones' snaps, Neal, Wilson and Guy for Jenkins' snaps) at those positions. I'll say for both of them, I'd rather they head off to the AFC and preferably a team GB doesn't play for three years. They've both been good, but due to injuries or drops, it might be time to move on and give the new blood a chance to kick it up a notch.