PDA

View Full Version : More Dominant.. Peppers vs Brown vs Williams

dregolll
05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
If you were starting a defense and you needed an all-world prospect at DE to anchor your defense. The Gm's are looking for the perfect physical specimen with the size, speed, and strength combo to exceed in the NFL. This player is a beast against the pass and run. The contestants are Courtney Brown, Mario Williams, and Julius Peppers. Now this is strictly based on them being NFL prospects. Please do not take into account their NFL careers because we all know Courtney Brown failed to meet expectations. I would like to know which one of those players would you start your defense with if you had the #1 overall pick?

Saints-Tigers
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I always liked Julius the best, he was strong and powerful, but even if Williams had nice explosion and first step that was comparable to Peppers, JP had fluidity, flexibility and lateral movement skills that the other two can't come close to matching.

The dude lined up at WR a few times and looked perfectly natural.

JBCX
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I'd take DeMarcus Ware

PossibleCabbage
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
If I had to pick one of those three, I would take Williams because he can play the 5-technique and I would prefer to run the 3-4 defense. Of course, if I'm a 3-4 team I'm not going to base my defense around a 5-tech, so a guy like the aforementioned Ware would be preferable.

Playing the 3-4 means you don't have to spend the #1 overall pick on a defensive end.

ElectricEye
05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
William's actually had his share of red flags coming out as a prospect. Never really completely played up to his immense ability threshold in college the way he should have at North Carolina State. A lot of people thought he was a boom/bust guy at the time, despite how it's written now.

SenorGato
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Peppers to play DE/OLB.

Really wanted to say Mario because he's my favorite player in the group and I was a big fan as a prospect. Peppers is the more fluid guy though and I'd feel better transitioning him to OLB.

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Peppers was a really good basketball player for a D-1 program, could line up at WR and function properly, it was pretty scary. I don't think you could top him, Ware got some noise after he tore up the combine but even then a ton of people were afraid of the small school guy who tears up the combine but never does anything in the league.

If I ran the 3-4 and had a chance at a Julius Peppers I'd strongly consider switching to a 4-3.

Matthew Jones
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
It's really close...I remember Courtney Brown running a 4.5 or something at 275 pounds or so, and racking up massive sack numbers in college, but I'd probably go with Julius Peppers. I remember Mario Williams was a beast one game and invisible the next.

ElectricEye
05-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Yeah, Courtney Brown is kind of forgotten as far as freak athletes go. Ran 4.52 at damn near 280 and was CONSTANTLY in the backfield at Penn State.

stephenson86
05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I would have gone with Brown, his college play was incredible, he was an unreal physical specimen, he had vines for arms and If I really look at it without bringing into question NFL careers, he was the most exciting and attractive prospect of the three.

The Dude Abides
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
as someone who actually remembers watching Courtney Brown at PSU, the dude was a ******* animal. I choose him

SenorGato
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Peppers was a really good basketball player for a D-1 program, could line up at WR and function properly, it was pretty scary. I don't think you could top him, Ware got some noise after he tore up the combine but even then a ton of people were afraid of the small school guy who tears up the combine but never does anything in the league.

If I ran the 3-4 and had a chance at a Julius Peppers I'd strongly consider switching to a 4-3.

Well the thing is, Mario or Peppers would have been drafted by 3-4 teams too. I see no reason why they shouldn't or couldn't physically. Who's actually going to turn down a 290 pound pass rusher...

Brown's out because I'm just not a Penn State fan.

keylime_5
05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Brown was an elite prospect, but Peppers was the most freakish defensive player athletically to come out in the last 15 years at least. He was athletic enough to play mulitple NFL positions in the NFL and be a pro bowler at them if he had to, and was a basketball player as well. 6'7"/280 guys who can move like him just can't be found.

Too bad Brown was such a big bust. Injury after injury and being a soft player without that mean mentality really did him in as a pro, but in college it was no fun playing against a defense with both he and Arrington.

Complex
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I always liked Julius the best, he was strong and powerful, but even if Williams had nice explosion and first step that was comparable to Peppers, JP had fluidity, flexibility and lateral movement skills that the other two can't come close to matching.

The dude lined up at WR a few times and looked perfectly natural.

I was thinking the same thing.

Monomach
05-06-2011, 10:48 AM
For all the years I've been watching the draft, I've never seen another DE prospect as sick as Peppers. He was incredible.

Splat
05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Julius Peppers gets my vote.

Ozzy
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/unc/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2481574.jpeg

To me as prospects, it is not even close, Peppers was by far the most elite of these three.

Shane P. Hallam
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
With the criteria set forth, I would pick *shudder* Courtney Brown as a prospect.

Iamcanadian
05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
IMO, you have to go with Williams as a prospect. His draft year was considered an excellent crop while Brown's was a weak class and Peppers wasn't considered all that much better. After all, he got beat out by David Carr for the #1 overall pick.
I'm only looking at them as prospects at the time and their strength of their draft class when they were picked, not how they turned out or how their draft class turned out.

Rosebud
05-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Well are we talking about a motivated Julius Peppers or the lackadaisical Julius Peppers we saw his last few years in Carolina? That's my issue with peppers, incredible athlete and specimen, would also be my pick purely on that criteria, but his focus is iffy and sometimes worrisome, which peculiarly was the big question mark about Mario Williams before he put on that freakshow at the combine that gave everyone in attendance boners to focus on.

zachsaints52
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Since I dont remember Brown in college, Id go with Peppers over Mario.

Monomach
05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
IMO, you have to go with Williams as a prospect. His draft year was considered an excellent crop while Brown's was a weak class and Peppers wasn't considered all that much better. After all, he got beat out by David Carr for the #1 overall pick.
I'm only looking at them as prospects at the time and their strength of their draft class when they were picked, not how they turned out or how their draft class turned out.
Who cares that Carr went first? Expansion teams making their first draft choice don't take DEs.

...and what does the strength of the class matter? Strong prospects get stuck in weak classes all the time. Everyone knew Peppers was an elite prospect. He was the Calvin Johnson/Ndonkeyknog Suh of DEs...except way more productive.

whatadai
05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Easy question. Peppers. /end thread

ElectricEye
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Easy question. Peppers. /end thread

jU_zn12fyCc

Courtney Brown says it's not easy at all.

whatadai
05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
jU_zn12fyCc

Courtney Brown says it's not easy at all.

Still easy. I'm not saying Brown wasn't impressive there, but Julius Peppers was even better.

SchizophrenicBatman
05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Peppers was the best prospect. Although IIRC Mario's combine performance blew everyone elses out of the water

Complex
05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I think Courtney Brown would of had the better than Mario and Peppers if he stayed healthy but JP was the better prospect.