PDA

View Full Version : Value of Jenoris Jenkins in the Supplemental draft?

D-Unit
05-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Would your team target him and what pick do you think they would use?

WMD
05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Is he going? I read that he might transfer to another school.

D-Unit
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Is he going? I read that he might transfer to another school.
Hypothetically then... ?

gpngc
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I would hope so. Pete Carroll loves reclamation projects and we desperately need help in the secondary.

PossibleCabbage
05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I would put his value in the supplemental draft as around a 3rd or a 4th. If you're a good team (well, playoff team) who wants to make sure you get him, that means you kind of have to bid a 2 to get him though... which is kind of rich.

Transferring is probably a better idea, he can dodge the labor mess and probably go higher.

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
3rd rounder for Dallas. I know that comes with a TON of risk attached, but knowing the immediate help we could get from him, plus the upside of how good he can be I'd take that chance. Maybe it's not so hard looking at what some of our previous 3rd round picks have been, at least you know with Jenkins he can play.

TACKLE
05-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Supp draft projections are always tricky. What I do know is Janoris was easily one of top 3 CB's in college football last year and played great against the likes of AJ Green, Julio Jones and Alshon Jeffery. Weed issues aside, he's a top 15-20 talent in this years draft.

shylo3716
05-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I would love to have him opposite of Asante Samuel. When is the Supplental Draft?

asdf1223
05-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I would feel comfortable with giving up a 2 to be honest. He would have late 1 early 2 value in this draft and his character issues are overblown.

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I would feel comfortable with giving up a 2 to be honest. He would have late 1 early 2 value in this draft and his character issues are overblown.

A 2nd will probably get it done, as I can see a few teams doing it, but I hardly feel like his issues are overblown. Jenkins is the type of player who seeks out trouble, he's been "involved" with like 4 different bar fights or campus fights to my recollection. He's been caught with weed 2 seperate times so you know he's a consistent weed smoker, and I am pretty sure I read he was caught with codiene also.

If his character issues are overblown to you, who in your opinion actually does have character issues?

Shane P. Hallam
05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
It will be 4-6 if he goes, but there won't be a supplemental draft.

Big_Pete
05-05-2011, 09:13 PM
NYG do take guys with character issues (eg. Austin, Bradshaw, Manningham etc) and have had success with keeping them on a tight reign.

CB isn't an obvious need for NYG, but they do tend to prioritise value in the draft. Also both Aaron Ross and Terrell Thomas come off contract after the 2011 season. They also will happily load up on positions if talent is there.

It all depends on just how highly Reese and Ross have Jenkins graded. I guess if they consider Jenkins a genuine first round talent, I could see NYG using a third or fourth rounder on Jenkins.

It may not be my pick as the most obvious landing place, but I guess it could happen.

jrdrylie
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I would not waste anything higher than a 7th rounder on Jenkins. I'm willing to overlook a guy getting arrested for drugs once. But to be arrested twice in about a month shows that he likely has a problem with drugs. And if a guy has a problem as a college student, it usually just gets worse when the guy is a millionaire.

shylo3716
05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
I would not waste anything higher than a 7th rounder on Jenkins. I'm willing to overlook a guy getting arrested for drugs once. But to be arrested twice in about a month shows that he likely has a problem with drugs. And if a guy has a problem as a college student, it usually just gets worse when the guy is a millionaire.

I believe if in another environment he would be alright

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
NYG do take guys with character issues (eg. Austin, Bradshaw, Manningham etc) and have had success with keeping them on a tight reign.

CB isn't an obvious need for NYG, but they do tend to prioritise value in the draft. Also both Aaron Ross and Terrell Thomas come off contract after the 2011 season. They also will happily load up on positions if talent is there.

It all depends on just how highly Reese and Ross have Jenkins graded. I guess if they consider Jenkins a genuine first round talent, I could see NYG using a third or fourth rounder on Jenkins.

It may not be my pick as the most obvious landing place, but I guess it could happen.

You think the Giants would spend a 3rd rounder on their 5th CB? I'm all for depth especially at Corner but that's overkill.

jrdrylie
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I believe if in another environment he would be alright

I disagree. 9 out of 10 guys who have multiple drug issues in college usually continue those issues in the NFL. More money. More free time. Less supervision from coaches, teachers, parents, and other family members. All that adds up to more opportunities to do something stupid.

Big_Pete
05-05-2011, 10:43 PM
You think the Giants would spend a 3rd rounder on their 5th CB? I'm all for depth especially at Corner but that's overkill.

I could see it, Ross and Thomas are off contract after the season.

There is also a decent chance that Grant isn't back (he wants to start) so Amukamara or Thomas could see time at safety, or they could use more 3 CB sets rather than the 3 safety sets they had last year.

If NYG believe Jenkins is a genuine top talent and if they believe they can address his character concerns (considerable questions), I could see them pulling the trigger.

Matthew Jones
05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Anyone else think the supplemental draft prospects are overrated? Besides Jared Gaither, when's the last time any of these guys amounted to anything? In Gaither's case, he turned out to be as good a player as advertised and the Ravens still aren't exactly falling all over themselves to retain him.

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Anyone else think the supplemental draft prospects are overrated? Besides Jared Gaither, when's the last time any of these guys amounted to anything? In Gaither's case, he turned out to be as good a player as advertised and the Ravens still aren't exactly falling all over themselves to retain him.

Because the supplemental draft doesn't have as many elite prospects going into it too often. I don't think there is ever a large group of guys who opt to go into that draft yearly anyway. I mean you get guys like Paul Oliver who was a solid prospect to begin with and he stuck with the Chargers and I believe started some games.

Ahmad Brooks was a freak as a prospect, and the 7th rounder the Cowboys used on Josh Brent-Price looks well worth it. He's a monster and may be our future NT.

That said, I don't think very many guys are even available yearly. So it's hard to knock it for not producing that many elite athletes when there aren't many to every choose from. Some years nobody even gets drafted at all. Hard to be overrated when there aren't any draft eligible players worth giving a shot. Overrated would mean a bunch of picks would be wasted on scrubs.

Big_Pete
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM

I think they are over rated in many cases. They tend to go by pre draft hype and avoid the considerable predraft processes which teams use to evaluate players in depth.

Also there is usually reasons they are in the supplemental draft rather than the usual draft process, usually these reasons are not good. All of this adds up to make the supplemental draft picks riskier than in the regular draft.

dannyz
05-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I could see the Ravens taking a chance on him in the 4TH. Two Young Character Concerns at Corner but with that Locker Room and if Both were to Play up to their Potential they could have two Shut-Down CB's.

asdf1223
05-06-2011, 12:07 AM
I would much rather have weed issues than say a guy who fights in the locker room or skips meetings and stuff or has a bad entourage or doesnt learn the playbook. I would say 90% of NFL players smoke and the horrible testing methods the NFL employs makes it much easier to get away. I think there was an article by Will Caroll that highlighted the issue.

The other thing is he is a really gifted cover corner as good as Joe Haden was as a prospect. He was really good against Julio in the abortion of a game against Alabama.

I had no idea about the bar fights till you mentioned it and want to further research that. Thanks for that.

A 2nd will probably get it done, as I can see a few teams doing it, but I hardly feel like his issues are overblown. Jenkins is the type of player who seeks out trouble, he's been "involved" with like 4 different bar fights or campus fights to my recollection. He's been caught with weed 2 seperate times so you know he's a consistent weed smoker, and I am pretty sure I read he was caught with codiene also.

If his character issues are overblown to you, who in your opinion actually does have character issues?

Monomach
05-06-2011, 01:03 AM

I think Josh Brent and Harvey Unga will turn out ok.

Ahmad Brooks is decent. Jamal Williams and Mike Wahle had good careers. Ditto Rob Moore. You have to go back to Cris Carter and Bernie Kosar for guys who were real stars.

There have only been 40 supplemental picks all-time. I'd say we're at 7 successes, 2 guys too new to know about, a few role players, one good running back who got blackballed when he held out, and some nobodies. It's really not any more hit-or-miss than the regular draft.

descendency
05-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Supp draft projections are always tricky. What I do know is Janoris was easily one of top 3 CB's in college football last year and played great against the likes of AJ Green, Julio Jones and Alshon Jeffery. Weed issues aside, he's a top 15-20 talent in this years draft.

Him, Jimmy Smith, and Patrick Peterson (character issues aside for JJ and JS) would have all 3 been potential top 10 picks at CB.

ellsy82
05-06-2011, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't even spend a pick on him. If he can't be real...nothing worth hoping for.

D-Unit
05-06-2011, 02:38 AM
I think Josh Brent and Harvey Unga will turn out ok.

Ahmad Brooks is decent. Jamal Williams and Mike Wahle had good careers. Ditto Rob Moore. You have to go back to Cris Carter and Bernie Kosar for guys who were real stars.

There have only been 40 supplemental picks all-time. I'd say we're at 7 successes, 2 guys too new to know about, a few role players, one good running back who got blackballed when he held out, and some nobodies. It's really not any more hit-or-miss than the regular draft.
Brent flashed a lot of promise last year. For a 7th round supplemental pick, he's already exceeded expectations.

http://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/9048408-large.jpg

SeanTaylorRIP
05-06-2011, 06:24 AM
If Jeremy Jarmon can go for a 3rd rounder so can Janoris because Janoris is an actual top prospect. Jarmon though was in the supplemental draft because he tested positive for a banned diuretic that UK's training staff prescribed to him. Jenkins however would be in the suplemental draft as he has a myriad of legal and character issues. Jarmon btw is a projected starter this year and still very young.

the_dark_knight
05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
5th rounder at highest, likely no offer at all from the Falcons.