PDA

View Full Version : Early Look Ahead to 2012

Scott Wright
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
My annual very early look at the top dozen senior prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft:

Top 12 Senior Prospects for the 2012 NFL Draft
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Future/2012-NFL-Draft-Preview.php

ElectricEye
05-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Good group Scott. Out of those guys, Crick is probably both my sentimental as well as objective favorite for what he brings to the table. Love his game.

It's a shame Maryland is moving Tate to linebacker....

Ozzy
05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Very cool list, ballzy putting Glenn out there #1, but I agree, he is easily the best senior guard in college right now. Surprised by a few of your other picks. Upshaw ahead of Hightower or Irvin is a big surprise. Sure Hightower had a down year last year but when the kid puts his mind to it, he is a monster to block as a pass rusher. Surprised to see Zach Brown that high as well, and too bad for him all of the depth at the junior linebacker class will push him down regardless.

I agree with Floyd he is a big time prospect, and Coples I love as well. Could argue Jeff Fuller is physical superior to Broyles however and potentially a bigger play receiver in terms of catching touchdowns.

Could also argue Jonathan Martin over Reynolds, and to the lesser extent Jeff Allen or Mike Adams. Surprised Mike Martin is not on the list, he is a very good player.

A few sleeper prospects that could really break out next year. I am a huge fan of Iloka, Fletcher and Mike Harris, Harris will be a part of probably the best defensive backfield in college football.

Nathan Williams Ohio State
Audie Cole NC State
Donnie Fletcher Boston College
Mike Harris Florida St.
George Iloka Boise State
Chase Minnifield Virginia

TACKLE
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Cordy Glenn #1? o_O

umm okay....

wicket
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
curious how you rank trevor robinson and ethan johnson at the moment

prock
05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
A guard is not the #1 prospect ever. But I like the list.

Halsey
05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Glenn is expected to start at LT for the Dawgs this season. Not sure if he'll remain there or if he'll be looked at by NFL teams as a potential OT, but that's the plan for now.

CashmoneyDrew
05-06-2011, 02:55 PM
My guesses at your top 12 are:

- Ryan Lindley, QB
- Ryan Broyles, WR
- Michael Floyd, WR
- Michael Egnew, TE
- Kelechi Osemele, OT
- Cordy Glenn, OG
- Quintin Coples, DT
- Jared Crick, DT
- Zach Brown, LB
- Tank Carder, LB
- Alfonzo Dennard, CB
- Kenny Tate, S

Guessed 9 out of 12 right. Not too bad.

Kind of surprised with Matt Reynolds being over Kelechi Osemele.

TACKLE
05-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Kind of surprised with Matt Reynolds being over Kelechi Osemele.

Especially when you consider that Matt Reynolds isn't very good.

CashmoneyDrew
05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Especially when you consider that Matt Reynolds isn't very good.

Well yeah. I was trying to go about it nicer since I had given Scott the what-for recently in another thread.

Barron and Reynolds are a couple of guys I could see falling to the 3rd or 4th round.

Scott Wright
05-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Cordy Glenn > Mike Pouncey

OSUGiants17
05-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Kenny Tate should be top 10 and Reynolds shouldn't be on that list.

K Train
05-06-2011, 09:50 PM
dennard and tate <33

Big Bird
05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Really not sure what anybody see's in Matt Reynolds...

I love Cordy Glenn, but wow. Best Senior in the nation? That's quite debatable.

Saints-Tigers
05-06-2011, 11:50 PM
I think when Scott does rankings like these, he doesn't account for positional value, which is why a guard can be ranked at the top.

I usually make my rankings that way, and my big board is based on how highly rated they are, and it factors in position.

Iamcanadian
05-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Considering how many juniors declared this year and how high they went, the senior crop isn't likely to be overwhelming anyways and will need the junior crop again to get a solid draft.

regoob2
05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Cordy Glenn > Mike Pouncey
Isnt Glenn moving to LT though?

RealityCheck
05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Brown and Coples <3

marks01234
05-07-2011, 05:50 PM
What has Zach Brown done besides reportedly running a 4.3 40?

Hurricanes25
05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
What has Zach Brown done besides reportedly running a 4.3 40?

He did have 3 int's last year.

He's been overshadowed by the other big names on that UNC defence in recent years. I expect him to have a huge year and he we'll be talking a lot about him.

thenewfeature06
05-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Brown and Reddick should have big years.. this defense will be pretty good again I assume, the secondary will be the question but Charles Brown is returning for another year which is a huge boost.

shylo3716
05-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Miami (FL)

This year will be a very good year, as far as Hurricane prospects being projected in the early rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft. With this years class of draft eligible Canes, I am looking forward to seeing big numbers from four Canes in particular.

Travis Benjamin Sr. WR- Has added 6 lbs. during the offseason. “The weight will help me become more physical. The more weight I add the more power I will gain. Although I was in track, it was a good thing I added the weight, because I knew my speed would stay consistant.” If he can limit his drops this season, he will become a much better WR. I expect him to have the 2nd fastest, if not the fastest combine 40 time next year in Indianapolis, behind Jeffery Demps. This year Benjamin broke Santana Moss’ 11-year old record in the indoor track & field 60 meter dash event, with a blazing time of 6.70 seconds.

Lamar Miller RS-So. RB- Who is only a Sophomore will be expected to take on the bulk of the carries this year, with Damien Berry and Graig Cooper leaving due to graduation. Although Miller will most likely become the starter after an excellent Spring Game, he will share the load with returning RB’s Mike James and Storm Johnson. One of the most unique things to know about Miller, is he also is a track guy which is a plus for a Miami team, who has always been known as a speed school. As of late the Canes have been lacking the recognition over the past couple of years. This year he ran 6.79 seconds in the indoor track & field 60 meter dash event. When it is all said and done, Lamar Miller will be on a list with a long line of GREAT RB’s, to come out of the University of Miami (FL). I can almost guarantee if he comes out after this season, he will be a 1st-2nd Round guy in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Vaughn Telemaque Jr. S- Is a fierce competitor to me who came off as the most underrated Safety prospect in college football all of last year. Last year was just a taste test, of what he has to offer with his 58 total tackles, 32 solo, 1 forced fumble, 3 interceptions. Telemaque may have not been on the radar last year as a potential top prospect, but he will be one to keep your eye on all season long.

Ray Ray Armstrong Jr. S- Of all the Cane prospects who are on the 2012 NFL Draft radar, Armstrong has the highest ceiling to become a lock for the 1st Round. He may be a very rangy player with a size and number reminiscent of the late GREAT Sean Taylor, but don’t be confused at all, because no one compares to Taylor. He is somewhat of a ballhawk, but the only knock I have on him is, that he does not dominate a game or change it from the secondary like he should.

georgiafan
05-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Cordy Glenn will be the starter at LT this year for UGA and since the other starting OT is out for the year. There is almost no chance of him moving back to OG next year.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-09-2011, 09:30 AM
who are some early entry or 2012 seniors at CB and ILB that would be 1st or 2nd round choices? i know about:
CB: Dre Kirkpartick Ala
Alphozo Denard Neb
ILB: i'm not sure who fits a 34 ILB. Te'o? Burfict? i know some OLBs can make the transition to ILB easily (Derrick Johnson) other don't fits the scheme.

AntoinCD
05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
who are some early entry or 2012 seniors at CB and ILB that would be 1st or 2nd round choices? i know about:
CB: Dre Kirkpartick Ala
Alphozo Denard Neb
ILB: i'm not sure who fits a 34 ILB. Te'o? Burflict? i know some OLBs can make the transition to ILB easily (Derrick Johnson) other don't fits the scheme.

Right now IMO there are probably 4 first round rated CBs. Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Dennard and Cliff Harris. At ILB in a 34 its hard to look past Burfict although Te'o would be a good fit also. Someone like Hightower could play ILB in a 34 as well

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Right now IMO there are probably 4 first round rated CBs. Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Dennard and Cliff Harris. At ILB in a 34 its hard to look past Burfict although Te'o would be a good fit also. Someone like Hightower could play ILB in a 34 as well

i've seen Hightower play and there was alot of talk of him entering the 2011 draft. he is an underachiever, isn't he? he was suppose to step in for McClain and never really became the play maker in the middle. obviously, he has this year to prove me wrong.

Stephon Gilmore from the other USC. i don't get a chance to watch many South Carolina games, unless they are national on ESPN. i'll keep an eye out for him. i like his size, over 6'. how's his game speed?

AntoinCD
05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
i've seen Hightower play and there was alot of talk of him entering the 2011 draft. he is an underachiever, isn't he? he was suppose to step in for McClain and never really became the play maker in the middle. obviously, he has this year to prove me wrong.

Stephon Gilmore from the other USC. i don't get a chance to watch many South Carolina games, unless they are national on ESPN. i'll keep an eye out for him. i like his size, over 6'. how's his game speed?

Athletically, for his size, Gilmore is elite. He may not run 4.3s but he has tremendously fluid hips and can run with WRs. He also has some awesome change of direction skills with the ball in his hands.

Hightower to me fits in nicely with some other overrated Bama defensive players of the last few years. When he's on he is a very good blitzer and could offer versatility inside and out and also put his hand on the ground and rushfrom a 3 point stance. However more times than not he looks like the 3rd best LB on the team. He would fit in well in the Chiefs defense though

Don Vito
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM
The draft is temporarily changing its name next year to "The Luke Kuechly Sweepstakes", just thought I'd let you all know.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/SwvkYLfnk4I/AAAAAAAAb80/KBDHQyyXwFc/s400/Luke+Kuechly.jpg

Don Vito
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Another guy to watch is Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox. He is an absolute freak of nature at 6-4 305, he has top 10 ability. He looks like a 4-3 UT at the next level but he has the frame to play end in the 3-4, I will definitely be watching him this year.

Matthew Jones
05-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Hightower is one of the most overrated prospects in the draft. I've been watching some Alabama games from last season and he looks like just another guy most of the time. Aside from his size and the athletic ability he had before his knee injury, he doesn't offer a whole lot. He has some versatility between end, inside, and outside linebacker as AntoinCD said, but he's nothing special at any of those spots from what I've seen. Motor doesn't look good at all - doesn't give 100%, won't chase the ball sideline to sideline, and doesn't seem very physical. Often quits on a rush if his initial move doesn't work and looks disinterested in what's going on a lot of the time. At best, he seems like a third round pick so far. His skillset is like that of Martez Wilson, with less athleticism. Maybe this season he will give more effort/further recover from his knee surgery and improve his stock, but for now I'm calling it like I see it.

GaMeTiMe
05-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Hightower is one of the most overrated prospects in the draft. I've been watching some Alabama games from last season and he looks like just another guy most of the time. Aside from his size and the athletic ability he had before his knee injury, he doesn't offer a whole lot. He has some versatility between end, inside, and outside linebacker as AntoinCD said, but he's nothing special at any of those spots from what I've seen. Motor doesn't look good at all - doesn't give 100%, won't chase the ball sideline to sideline, and doesn't seem very physical. Often quits on a rush if his initial move doesn't work and looks disinterested in what's going on a lot of the time. At best, he seems like a third round pick so far. His skillset is like that of Martez Wilson, with less athleticism. Maybe this season he will give more effort/further recover from his knee surgery and improve his stock, but for now I'm calling it like I see it.

Plenty of guys like this that end up as 4th-5th rounders after being considered 1st-2nd to start the season. A lot of people are already talking down Hightower but acting like the 2012 Draft is next week and he's already firmly entrenched as a 1st round guy.

I don't think anyone will be surprised when he's a mid-rounder next April and probable special teamer at the next level. He's flashed the ability to play in the NFL, but not start

K Train
05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
i have hightower mocked to the steelers in the 3rd round in my 2012 mock. hes a good player and extremely versatile and he can be a hammer in the middle of a 34 but hes got some work to do in raising his stock.

that being said id rather have hightower in the 3rd than mcclain in the top 10

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Athletically, for his size, Gilmore is elite. He may not run 4.3s but he has tremendously fluid hips and can run with WRs. He also has some awesome change of direction skills with the ball in his hands.

i'm liking Gilmore more and more. i really want to see him play. i think USC will get some ESPN games cause of how well they finished last season. plus, they have alot of top talent, Alshon, Lattimore and apparently Gilmore.

i'm looking for a player opposite of Flowers. Carr is a FA after next season and may be to expensive to retain. it's really early, but if a good CB is there when we select, i'd take 'em in a heart beat. we'd have one of the younger and better secondaries in the league.

that's kinda what i was thinking about him too. to me, i don't want to use a 1st round pick on a guy that hasn't lived up to the talent yet.

Duffman57
05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Another guy to watch is Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox. He is an absolute freak of nature at 6-4 305, he has top 10 ability. He looks like a 4-3 UT at the next level but he has the frame to play end in the 3-4, I will definitely be watching him this year.

WHAAAAAAAA?????? I just looked this guy up and coming out of HIGH SCHOOL the dude ran a 4.47 at 6'4" 240.......WTFFFFFFFFFFF???????????? Thats redicilus

OSUGiants17
05-09-2011, 03:19 PM
The draft is temporarily changing its name next year to "The Luke Kuechly Sweepstakes", just thought I'd let you all know.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/SwvkYLfnk4I/AAAAAAAAb80/KBDHQyyXwFc/s400/Luke+Kuechly.jpg

Finally another Kuechly lover! Him and Burfict are my top 2 prospects in this draft. Love the potential LB class next year.

wicket
05-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Finally another Kuechly lover! Him and Burfict are my top 2 prospects in this draft. Love the potential LB class next year.

I thought kuechly was more loved on this board than raymond and you know everybody loves raymond.

shylo3716
05-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Denard Robinson Michigan-Explosive as they come, needs to play some WR to get a feel for his NFL position. He has nothing to prove on the collegiate level. It is already said he will make a position change to WR. He will still play QB in Michigan's system, so for that matter he has nothing to gain or lose when it comes to his draft stock. He will be a 2nd Round pick, but I can actually see him sliding up in the 1st Round with a blazing 40 time since he is on the radar HEAVY.

Don Vito
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
WHAAAAAAAA?????? I just looked this guy up and coming out of HIGH SCHOOL the dude ran a 4.47 at 6'4" 240.......WTFFFFFFFFFFF???????????? Thats redicilus

Yeah. You hear a lot of numbers get inflated in high school and in college, but he is going to probably have one of the most impressive workouts for a 300 plus pounder ever. He is an absolute freak and he is also one hell of a defensive lineman, he is very under the radar because he plays for MSU but for what its worth he could have played anywhere coming out of HS he just wanted to stay close to home. I'm an Ole Miss fan so I rarely give out praise to State players, but Cox is a special talent.

Razor
05-10-2011, 03:16 AM

Cliff Harris? Ugh, no... I like him, but there's no way he's a first rounder at this point imo. I like the others you've listed though. And keep an eye on Jayron Hosley from VT, I really like him as well. Before the draft I wanted the Patriots to draft Hosley to play opposite McCourty, but now I'm guessing that won't happen...

cajuncorey
05-13-2011, 10:21 AM

lol dude. we all know luke kuechly is a solid player and a very talented kid. but we all know what happens to linebackers on draft day.... they slide.

K Train
05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Cliff Harris? Ugh, no... I like him, but there's no way he's a first rounder at this point imo. I like the others you've listed though. And keep an eye on Jayron Hosley from VT, I really like him as well. Before the draft I wanted the Patriots to draft Hosley to play opposite McCourty, but now I'm guessing that won't happen...

hosley is awesome...hes gonna take janoris jenkins place as "the next asante samuel" guy

BamaFalcon59
05-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Hosley is going to be an elite zone corner. We'll see his man skills this year as he moves to the boundary corner position for VT.

Asante Samuel is a good comparison.

crimson&white
05-14-2011, 03:50 PM

kirkpatrick isn't going to be a senior in the 2012 draft he will be a draft enigible junior

shylo3716
05-14-2011, 03:55 PM

hosley is awesome...hes gonna take janoris jenkins place as "the next asante samuel" guy

This post right here will KILL all Cliff Harris 1st Round opportunities!

2011 — Clocked 4.79 seconds in the electronic 40-yard (third amongst defensive backs) during winter conditioning.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204782074

Texas Homer
05-18-2011, 03:00 AM
I really like WR Michael Floyd.

STUD WR.

LonghornsLegend
06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Jesus. UNC has put in some work on getting NFL prospects the last few years, especially on defense. It's like a factory almost. Big props to their recruiting department.

etk
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Hosley is going to be an elite zone corner. We'll see his man skills this year as he moves to the boundary corner position for VT.

Asante Samuel is a good comparison.

Samuel is a good comparison because he's an awful tackler. Remember the argument you and JoeyJr had when Hosley was in HS?

HakeemtheMachine
06-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Stephon Gilmore from the other USC. i don't get a chance to watch many South Carolina games, unless they are national on ESPN. i'll keep an eye out for him. i like his size, over 6'. how's his game speed?Here is a Gilmore vid I made plus some of the other top guys

Gilmore vs Bama
UG8ESq72S9k

Kirkpatrick vs Miss St
ZIFJ7aapbuw

Josh Robinson vs Georgia Liberty Bowl
tiO997bxcZY

Janoris Jenkins vs Alabama
CU3CILPRDp0

Chase Minnifield vs USC 2010
Bhh0GVu08Xs

Alfonzo Denard vs Texas A&M and Oklahoma
wt3ZWKH56rQ

Coryell Judie vs LSU Cotton Bowl (2011)
fcQ5UvAWU4E

Cliff Harris vs Stanford 2010
jrvmyyTJbGA

Donnie Fletcher vs Nevada
rZ8ZyA7dTZI

bigbenn
06-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Talked about Jeff Allen and Graham Pocic in the OL thread...couldn't find a DB thread but 3 Illini DB's you will want to know by year's end are Tavon Wilson (Senior), Terry Hawthorne and Justin Green (Both juniors). Just keep an eye out for them all are very athletic, very fast and very physical.

bitonti
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I thought kuechly was more loved on this board than raymond and you know everybody loves raymond.

lol that was corny but its true. i very much like Kuechly but if he and Vontae Burfict are the board im rolling the dice with Burfict. That might seem like an obvious comment but i've read kuechly fans who think the opposite. both players to watch at ILB

phlysac
07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't know why I always think of Jordon Dizon when I watch and read about Kuechly.

SolidGold
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Keuchly is a much better prospect. He is taller w/ a better frame and can put on more weight. Dizon was maxed out coming into the league IMO.

Matthew Jones
08-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Scott, any word on when the 2012 re-launch is coming?

CC.SD
08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
My top junior prospect is Matt Barkley!

http://capefearoptimist.com/images/OI/bobik.jpg

Hurricanes25
08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Scott, any word on when the 2012 re-launch is coming?

August 31st per his latest podcast.