PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Vince Young to the Redskins?

D-Unit
05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/06/redskins-mentioned-as-possible-vince-young-destination/

Redskins mentioned as possible Vince Young destination
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 6, 2011, 2:34 PM EDT

The Washington Redskins need a quarterback. Vince Young needs a team. Could that mean VY is heading to DC?

Maybe. Omar Kelly of the Sun Sentinel, in a piece exploring the possibility of Young taking his talents to South Beach, writes that he’s hearing the Redskins are the front-runners to land Young’s services.

As Florio noted on today’s PFT Live, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is trying to spread the word that he’d be comfortable with John Beck as his 2011 starter, but no one really believes that. And as Florio also noted, Young will almost certainly be released within the first 10 days of the league year, as Young is due a bonus of $4.5 million on the 10th day of the league year.

So Young heading to the Redskins could make some sense. At least, it makes more sense than the Redskins heading into 2011 with John Beck atop the depth chart.

jsagan77
05-06-2011, 06:42 PM
I doubt there is a player that is going to hit FA that some guy won't write about. With that said, I like the fit. I think Young was about to turn the corner last year prior to injury. He was having his best season ever and he torched the Skins for the most part. If it weren't for Rusty coming in they would have slaughtered us. In the end it's all about wins and losses and if Young can help us win all the stuff prior to this will be quickly forgotten.

Orakpowned
05-06-2011, 06:46 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2590183&#post2590183

Hmmm. Lol.

Bucs_Rule
05-06-2011, 08:13 PM
VY has a very good record as a starter. His problem was extreme emotional immaturity. Getting kicked off the Titans could wake him up, probably not but possible.

Whether or not he's a whole lot better then Grossman and Beck. Your never going to win with those two.

toddmlazarchick
05-06-2011, 08:18 PM
IF he comes in it will be a cheap, incentive heavy, easily releasable contract. Low risk, high reward.

703SKINS202
05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
If he comes it will be to sell jerseys.

Giantsfan1080
05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Another in a long line of crappy Redskins QB's.

OzTitan
05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
He looked pretty good at times in 10'. Titans though are just sick of his approach to the position. Munch wants a hard worker, like Fisher did. For instance, Locker could put up the same stats as VY, i.e. below average, and the same debatable impact in most wins, and he'd stick around long term as long as he's a hard worker and a proper leader.

He's not a tough guy on the field. He's not a first in, last out kind of QB between Sundays. He says he's a leader but leaders don't pout and act immature. But regardless of all this, with the perfect environment I reckon VY could still do some pretty big things in the NFL.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I personally would prefer it if he went to the Bills, but the Skins also represent another solid option for VY

Matthew Jones
05-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Is it just me or would this be a match made in hell? Mike Shanahan is an old school hard-ass like Jeff Fisher...ask Albert Haynesworth. This would be a desperation move and I don't see the fit at all. I think the Redskins are more likely to go with a guy like Kyle Orton than to sign Vince Young.

TitanHope
05-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't like that matchup at all.

Texas Homer
05-18-2011, 03:02 AM
I think that VY would be a nice fit for the Redskins.

FlyingElvis
05-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Is it just me or would this be a match made in hell? Mike Shanahan is an old school hard-ass like Jeff Fisher...ask Albert Haynesworth. This would be a desperation move and I don't see the fit at all. I think the Redskins are more likely to go with a guy like Kyle Orton than to sign Vince Young.
Exactly what I was thinking.

A guy who is immature, has a questionable work ethic and exhibits a less than stellar love for the game is rumored to head to a Mike Shanahan lead club?

Break out the roflcopters.

FUNBUNCHER
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM

Actually, it most depends on how he and Kyle Shanahan mesh offensively, less so VY and Mike Shanahan.

Both Mike/Kyle are looking for mobile, rollout guys who are accurate mid range with decent deep ball accuracy.

If the running game in D.C. ever gets on track, VY might work out. But if VY hasn't learned from his experience in Tennessee and still believes giving less than max effort during the week will win him the confidence of the new coaching staff in D.C., he's gonna be Beck's backup in Washington.

How coachable is VY is the question I'd like answered.

The tools are there IMO for Young to be a top 15 QB in the league, it all depends were his head is at.

jrdrylie
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
This is one of the extremely rare occasions when I would say I'd rather have Rex Grossman as my starter.

TACKLE
05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I actually really like the fit of Vince Young in Shannahan's offense. Seems like it could really play to Vince's strengths. And honestly, I'd take VY any day of the week as my starter over Rex or Beck.

Texas Homer
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure how much its worth, but Kyle Shanahan played football at Texas too.

Caulibflower
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I like him best to the Bills. Let him actually go in and compete for a job. If he goes to the Redskins, he's just going to be being handed another job; same with the Dolphins. If he can dedicate himself, I think Chan Gailey could be the guy to make NFL Vince Young something like Texas Vince Young.

keylime_5
05-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Young is a good QB. He is not a good leader and his motivation and character are the only reason he's not in Tennessee as their franchise QB anymore. It's an interesting situation because a team is not gonna sign him to be a backup unless that team has a very good starter already entrenched into the job, but he can get a job on a team who needs a starter, but will you invest longterm in a guy with VY's past if he has a successful 2011 season?