PDA

View Full Version : The Most Physically Gifted Defensive Line

Ozzy
05-07-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Michigan_state_logo1.jpg
Home of what could be next season the most physically gifted defensive line in the country. Leading the way is the beast in the middle Jerel Worthy, thick, strong and aggressive. The key could be the emergence of William Gholston, huge kid, ideal size for a defensive end, strong and could be and absolute animal as a pass rusher. Then you have another book end Tyler Hoover who also has ideal size for the position, he is a very accomplished pass rusher and makes plays all over the field. Then there is Rashad-White, another big strong thick presence in the middle. Overall they are a very big and very talented defense line and I expect huge things out of them this season.

William Gholston: DE 6-7 265 SOPH
http://media.mlive.com/spartans_impact/photo/william-gholston-13jpg-3cd81564e74d1b93_large.jpg

Jerel Worthy: DT 6-3 305 JR
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jerel+Worthy+Brian+Mulroe+Michigan+State+v+6S-zjHJkcZTl.jpg

Anthony Rashad-White: NT 6-2 320 JR
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/content/articles/2010/09/12/sports/college/doc4c8c11e3170bb7039128515.jpg

Tyler Hoover: DE 6-7 274 JR
http://statenews.com/media/00/00/03/47/34729_CML_FBC_Central1_091209_big.jpg

FUNBUNCHER
05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Would have been nice if those guys showed up in the bowl game against 'Bama.

dannyz
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
What about Florida with Easley,Powell,Floyd ?

dex26
05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
That's crazy talk, florida Easley has them beat. :)

Don't forget about Howard and Okine. Both were 5 * recruits i believe. Chris Martin also. Many forget about him because he was a late transfer. He was a 5* also i think. He will be playing some DE and rush linebacker.

But easily the most talented D-line has to go to the detroit lions.

Ozzy
05-07-2011, 01:37 PM
That's crazy talk, florida Easley has them beat. :)

Don't forget about Howard and Okine. Both were 5 * recruits i believe. Chris Martin also. Many forget about him because he was a late transfer. He was a 5* also i think. He will be playing some DE and rush linebacker.

But easily the most talented D-line has to go to the detroit lions.I doubt that, if anyone has them beat it is UNC, but UNC lacks the depth at defensive tackle. Florida State also has a great defense line as well, could argue they are better than Florida. Florida, sure maybe but as of right now they just have a lot of hyped players that have not all produced. Howard is a stud though and Hunter is pretty good as well.

As for Michigan State, Gholston was pretty much a non factor last year, I look for him to really bust out this season.

etk
05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Actually it's Miami, but UF, FSU and UNC are up there as well. The title is physically talented so that forgives all the Shannon underachievers that people barely hear about.

We've got Vernon, Forston, Ojomo, M. Robinson, Regis, Porter, Dye as physical freaks plus Smith, Chickillo, Pierre, L. Robinson and Green who are also athletic.

UF loses points because Powell and Martin are OLBs in that system. That leaves the most freakish interior DL by far but the DEs are lacking.

FSU has a ton of speed but not much else.

UNC has talent and production but the latter more than the former.

MSU doesn't even belong. Gholston is a freak but he's a DE/OLB like Powell and insists on playing stand-up more than he should.

Ozzy
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
etk Actually it's Miami, but UF, FSU and UNC are up there as well. The title is physically talented so that forgives all the Shannon underachievers that people barely hear about.

We've got Vernon, Forston, Ojomo, M. Robinson, Regis, Porter, Dye as physical freaks plus Smith, Chickillo, Pierre, L. Robinson and Green who are also athletic.

UF loses points because Powell and Martin are OLBs in that system. That leaves the most freakish interior DL by far but the DEs are lacking.

FSU has a ton of speed but not much else.

UNC has talent and production but the latter more than the former.

MSU doesn't even belong. Gholston is a freak but he's a DE/OLB like Powell and insists on playing stand-up more than he should.What? Ok Miami is good but those guys are pretty small and not that physical at all, hope for their sake they improve that. Wait and see though, Michigan State and their D-line will dominate this year. Seriously those two book ends are giants, and to say that interior is not impressive is just incorrect. It all depends on Gholston though, he could make them really elite, and I expect him too.

ElectricEye
05-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Devin Taylor and Jadeveon Clowney disagree with this. It doesn't even really matter who is inside, those two are that much better than most other ends in the country in terms of physical talent.

jnew76
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Even with the loss of Aldon Smith I look for the D-Line of Missouri to be the best in the Big XII in terms of talent and depth.

As a unit, the Tigers start 3 seniors and a Junior.

DT's Terrell Resonno and Dominique Hamilton are great against the run... with Marvin Foster, Jimmie Burge, and Lucas Vincent more than capable back-ups. Hamilton and Resonno are both seniors and 300+ lbs. Hamilton has serious ability and is a potential high round draft choice.

The ends are both deep and talented. Brad Madison is the leading returning sack artist with 7.5 as a sophommore. Jaquies Smith starts opposite Madison and is great against the run and as a pass rusher.

Behind Smith and Madison are a couple of potential superstars in Kony Ealy and Michael Sam. Ealy is a RsFreshman that is every bit the prospect Aldon Smith was at this time in his career. Ealy was by all accounts, unblockable this spring. He is a future 1rst rounder. Sam is often overshadowed, but has always produced when on the field.

Throw in Marcus Malbrough (DE), Brendan Donaldson (DT), and Brayden Burnett (DE) who have all lettered as Tigers, and you have one of the deepest and most talented units in the country.

M.O.T.H.
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I wish SCAR had some stud DTs. Our Ends are ridiculous with Taylor and Clowney.

edit...dammit EE.

Even though, I was talking more talent anyway, rather than just physical talent.

Ozzy
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
MOTH I wish SCAR had some stud DTs. Our Ends are ridiculous with Taylor and Clowney.

edit...dammit EE.

Even though, I was talking more talent anyway, rather than just physical talent.I like Devin Taylor as much as the next guy, but let us be honest here, he is still very thin and has to improve his overall toughness. Sure he can quick his way to the quarterback from time to time but a lot of talent is gone off of that line from last year, will be interesting to see how much Taylor improves. As for Clowney, the guy has not played a down yet, let us hold off a little on calling him an elite player. Remember Bowers as a freshman and sophomore, even tough he was the #1 overall prospect coming out of high school he did not play anything like that his first two years of college.

M.O.T.H.
05-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Mehhhhhh. I'm putting all of my eggs in one basket with Clowney. haha.

As for Taylor, he def. needs to get stronger/bigger. But the 1st round could certainly be in his future.

I was just more commenting on the fact that we have stud ends, but lack the interior talent compared to the others. But make no doubt about, SCAR does have at least the potential to have elite bookends.

wicket
05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I like how miami fans when it goes to most talented whatever push miami as one of the top contenders.

FUNBUNCHER
05-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Is William Gholston related to Vernon(hope not!!)????

Hurricanes25
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM

They're cousins.

dannyz
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Nebraska D-Line is good. Crick 6-6. 285,Steinkuhler 6-6. 290,Meredith 6-4. 260,Martin 6-2. 255.

Ozzy
05-07-2011, 10:30 PM
dannyz Nebraska D-Line is good. Crick 6-6. 285,Steinkuhler 6-6. 290,Meredith 6-4. 260,Martin 6-2. 255.I like Nebraska as much as anyone does. But I must say they have a good defensive line but not elite unless Mr Steinkuhler steps it up. Martin I do not know much about and Meredith is a second tear defensive end at best, I do not see elite ability in him at all. Hopefully they can find a big time defensive end pass rusher and develop again, because they need that type of player on that defense. Crick also has to take his game to the next level, clearly was a slightly different player without Suh besides him.

deepthoughtlife
05-08-2011, 03:30 AM
If Nebraska's D-line was great*, they wouldn't have let Jake Locker run all over them on the way to victory, when the corners held him to 4 complete passes. I can sympathize with such failure, given that he ran all over my precious USC too, but we didn't kid ourselves that our D-Line was great. (You have to place a very large part of any successful QB run on the D-line.) A line could get significantly better in a year, but not likely that much, and not predictable in advance. At least you can feel good that, even with Amukamara gone, you still have an excellent #1 corner.

I don't track Nebraska too closely, but there's my two cents.

*I'm talking great here. They might still be good.

batsandgats
05-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Did you see the passing stats Locker put up? They were pretty disruptive in that aspect of the game, I wouldn't say it was the corners that held Jake Locker to 30 percent completion ratio, other than that, they played pretty horrible that game, almost like they didn't care about being in it, unlike the rest of the year outside of the Texas game where they were screwed with bad officiating the 2nd year in a row. The dbs benefit from the front 7, Matt O Hanlon put up like 7 interceptions the other year, where is he at? the UFL?

Take away that game and id say they are great

gpngc
05-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Is he Vernon's brother?

draftguru151
05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I like how miami fans when it goes to most talented whatever push miami as one of the top contenders.

First in TFL, 9th in sacks in the country last year. Marcus Forston and Olivier Vernon are two of the most athletic lineman in the country. Ojomo, Robinson and Dye are all very good athletes. Regis and Porter are both very athletic DTs. You have any reason UM ISN'T one (if not the most) the most athletic DLs in the country?

superman8456
05-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Is he Vernon's brother?

They're cousins.

Ten characters

wicket
05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
First in TFL, 9th in sacks in the country last year. Marcus Forston and Olivier Vernon are two of the most athletic lineman in the country. Ojomo, Robinson and Dye are all very good athletes. Regis and Porter are both very athletic DTs. You have any reason UM ISN'T one (if not the most) the most athletic DLs in the country?

I never said they werent good, just that miami fans are always pushing their players pro potential no matter the discussion (except qb). part of the tfl numbers are due to the aggressive scheme though

draftguru151
05-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Miami ran one of the most bland and non aggressive defenses in the country, so try again.

wicket
05-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Miami ran one of the most bland and non aggressive defenses in the country, so try again.

that is both not true at all and the fact that its not true is backed up by the amount of TFLs by your linebackers

draftguru151
05-08-2011, 05:08 PM
So I take it you haven't watched a Randy Shannon defense in the past decade?

Ozzy
05-08-2011, 08:44 PM
First in TFL, 9th in sacks in the country last year. Marcus Forston and Olivier Vernon are two of the most athletic lineman in the country. Ojomo, Robinson and Dye are all very good athletes. Regis and Porter are both very athletic DTs. You have any reason UM ISN'T one (if not the most) the most athletic DLs in the country?I say again, their overall toughness and strength at the point of attack is very questionable. Maybe that will change but as of right now they have a lot of lighter athletic players that fast but are not strong at the point of contact. Will see if that improves.

If one calls that physically gifted, then yes, but I consider physically gifted defensive lines to have far more power and a combination of both strength and speed, not just speed.

JoeJoeBrown
05-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Why? Vernon was good in college you asshat.

wicket
05-09-2011, 12:31 AM
So I take it you haven't watched a Randy Shannon defense in the past decade?

Ive seen an average of about 6 games a year.

I take it that you havent seen any football outside of miami games

niel89
05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Is it too late to make an ohio st gift-ed joke?

JBCX
05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I have that Michigan State-Alabama Bowl game from last year too fresh in my mind to think highly of the MSU defensive line.

Boys simply were manhandled up front.

etk
05-15-2011, 05:44 PM

This coming from the ND homer who thinks they're TE U. Miami is the biggest pro factory in NFL history and has the most players in the NFN top 100 for 2011. Miami had 8 players drafted last year and will have even more drafted this year. I think us fans have a pretty good idea of talent since we watch it about a dozen times a year, and the track record is proven.

I never said they werent good, just that miami fans are always pushing their players pro potential no matter the discussion (except qb). part of the tfl numbers are due to the aggressive scheme though

Wow...you actually know less about Miami football than you do about Mark Ingram. I didn't think it was possible to go any lower...

Also I forgot about Clowney for South Carolina. Doesn't get more freakish than that, so that's definitely the winner for DE.