PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen rips rookies who waste money on jewelry

Splat
05-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Jared Allen rips rookies who waste money on jewelry (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/06/jared-allen-rips-rookies-who-waste-money-on-jewelry/)

In an interview on KTAR in Phoenix (http://icestream.bonnint.net:8000/az/audio/2011/05/05052011095101.mp3), Allen said he shook his head while watching the NFL draft and saw players who haven’t earned a dime playing football yet but have clearly spent thousands of dollars on watches and earrings.

“I think the bigger disappointment was to see the jewelry on these kids’ arms and ears,” Allen said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “Are you kidding me? You haven’t played a down in the league yet and thousands and thousands of dollars on these kids’ arms (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/05/06/jared-allen-minnesota-vikings-nfl-draft-nfl-lockout/#more-38502) and I’m like, ‘You guys understand you’re getting drafted into a lockout where you don’t know what rules you’re playing under or how much money you possibly might get?’”

Allen is right: Last month Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5558), who was drafted last year, was sued over hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid debts to jewelry stores (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/dez-bryant-settles-one-of-his-jewelry-lawsuits/), and he’s far from the only player who has had trouble paying debts related to gold and diamonds. Spending that kind of money on jewelry is, frankly, stupid.

Halsey
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Agree with him. They could be doing much more intelligent things with their money than being stereotypical, dime-a-dozen covered in expensive tatoos and bling guy.

49erNation85
05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Well it is about time some of the vets are stepping up.I mean no rookie should be buying crap with their money right away.Main thing would be a car and a house that is it about it.But the league really can't do nothing about money being spent by rookies because most of them don't know how to control their limits.

PackerLegend
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Who cares about the jewelry its not like its the first time rookies have spent thousands of dollars on it. Whats worse is the fact they were all hugging Goodell's dumbass. The man who is taking money away from them and as of now helping to lock them all out.

This was by far the best part of the entire draft. He had no idea what to say just sit there and say "I hear ya". Then he uses the Alabama tradegy to get them to stop. Pathetic
aIzhB5kwLk4

bearsfan_51
05-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Getting wasted and driving a car is, however, the type of move only a Rhodes Scholar would make.

Saints-Tigers
05-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Getting wasted and driving a car is, however, the type of move only a Rhodes Scholar would make.

Lol yea, he has a lot of nerve getting on people for terrible decisions.

Iamcanadian
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
As long as it isn't drugs, do I give a damn how people spend their money. What business is it of his?

ElectricEye
05-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Jared Allen might be the driver of the year all years, but he does have a point here. It's a little weird seeing all these kids blow hundreds of thousands of dollars on jewelry. I just don't get the dudes wearing jewelry thing in general, actually. To be fair to these kids though; most of that was probably given as gifts from various agents/endorsers and they probably won't have to pay a dime for it.

CashmoneyDrew
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
It's their money who cares what they spend it on as long as it's legal?

AMERICAN MUSCLE
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
It's their money who cares what they spend it on as long as it's legal?

The point is... they haven't "earned" a dime yet. Pretty much counting their chickens before they hatch type deal.

yo123
05-07-2011, 05:25 PM
The point is... they haven't "earned" a dime yet. Pretty much counting their chickens before they hatch type deal.

Guaranteed contracts=chickens have hatched. I love Jared Allen but this is none of his damn business.

bucfan12
05-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Guaranteed contracts=chickens have hatched. I love Jared Allen but this is none of his damn business.

It is his business. Some of these 'unproven' players are going to get paid 20-30 million in guranteed money and they haven't done anything to prove it.

Plus, he's commenting about this year and them being dumb in spending their money. 1. There is a lockout, so they may not see that contract for a very long time, possibly Aug/September.

2. They may not get as much as past draftees if a deal comes forward and a rookie cap restriction is placed.

I agree with Allen 100%.

Jimmy
05-07-2011, 05:31 PM

He's arguing that Allen should basically mind his own business. I think that's great advice to give in a lot of situations.

It may not be your or my place to make such a public statement, but Allen is in a position to speak as a leader and as a veteran.

Here though, he's likely talking about some of his future teammates, friends and co-workers. Rookies have been doing this spending for years, so it's not like Allen doesn't already know a couple of Vikes who have put themselves in this situation.

Like I said, a lot of these rookies in the past have become his friends, his "homies," and just dudes he deals with on a regular basis, so whose to say it's none of his damn business?

I love Jared Allen but this is none of his damn business.

This is absolutely his business, unless you think being a good friend and colleague means never giving good advice or speaking up when a friend is putting himself in a bad situation.

yo123
05-07-2011, 05:36 PM
It is his business. Some of these 'unproven' players are going to get paid 20-30 million in guranteed money and they haven't done anything to prove it.

Plus, he's commenting about this year and them being dumb in spending their money. 1. There is a lockout, so they may not see that contract for a very long time, possibly Aug/September.

2. They may not get as much as past draftees if a deal comes forward and a rookie cap restriction is placed.

I agree with Allen 100%.

It's really not. It's not his money so he has no say in how they spend it. If he was commenting on the fact that they're getting this money in the first place that's another story. But telling them how to spend it makes no sense.

Jimmy
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
It's really not. It's not his money so he has no say in how they spend it. If he was commenting on the fact that they're getting this money in the first place that's another story. But telling them how to spend it makes no sense.

He's not telling them how to spend it, find a quote where he said, "You shouldn't spend it this way, you should spend it THAT way."

Obviously, he'd suggest that if given the chance, but he DIDNT.

He was just saying how he's disappointed, how it's unwise of them to spend that money, and then he backed it up with the FACT that there is a lockout right now. That's a good friend and a good colleague. And more importantly, a professional athlete who won't be bankrupt and on the streets in 5 years, ala Jamarcus Russell.

nepg
05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
How does it make no sense for him to criticize rookies for spending money on jewelry? He's a veteran player who started off making the minimum. He definitely has experience in the matter. His point is that these guys don't have any money. There are no contracts for these players. The money they're using is from loans given to them that they'll have to pay back at high interest.

He has every right to call them stupid. They're part of his league and their actions are reflective on the league. Rookies making terrible financial decisions is not good for the league. Jared Allen is right to bring this up and the issue should be brought to light and financial education for these young men should be of primary concern for the player's union.

A lot of these guys grew up without much, and in environments where people don't know how bad it is to take out a loan or use one of those PayDay check loan services. They're ignorant to money, and they need help.

Jimmy
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
But telling them how to spend it makes no sense.
So giving advice for the welfare of others makes no sense?

yo123
05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
So giving advice for the welfare of others makes no sense?

He can give advice all he wants, but if they blow their money it's their own fault.

SickwithIt1010
05-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Im with yo....this is none of Allen's business. If they wanna waste their money on jewelry go for it, thats their business.

Jimmy
05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Im with yo....this is none of Allen's business. If they wanna waste their money on jewelry go for it, thats their business.

I'm curious... Where do you draw the line? If you had kids (or if you have kids now), would you tell them to watch how they spend their money or would you "mind your own damn business?"

Do you really think that Allen sending a message like this out to some of his friends is intrusive?

phlysac
05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I've heard it for years and I've always found it very interesting. "There are two things that teamates are never to talk about. Your family, or your money."

I guess it'd be pretty difficult to be a caring friend if you never entered into those topics. But I suppose that's my fault for assuming more than very few teammates are actually close friends.

tjsunstein
05-07-2011, 06:33 PM
They're 21-23 year old kids getting their hands on a lump sum of money. What do you really expect? These kids are materialistic.

Saints-Tigers
05-07-2011, 06:48 PM
None of you buy things that you like, just because you like it?

How is spending their money on something they like "stupid" but you spending your money on a hobby is a smart investment?

I dunno, if they like jewelry, so be it.

A lot of people drink and go out on the weekends, smoke weed, spend their money on video games, computers, stuff to make their car look nice, ETC. We dont all save every penny, or invest it into stock.

Halsey
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't over analyze it.

Saving money > Spending it on useless crap

Everyone does it, but there's nothing wrong with someone pointing it out.

CashmoneyDrew
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Don't over analyze it.

Saving money > Spending it on useless crap

Everyone does it, but there's nothing wrong with someone pointing it out.

I don't think anyone's over-analyzing it. We're just saying it's dumb for Jared Allen to tell others what to do in a free society. Like BF51 pointed out maybe Jared Allen wouldn't have multiple DUIs if he'd spent a little more money on jewelry instead of booze. See how silly that is as well?

Splat
05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I have never understood anyone dropping that kinda money on jewelry be it a man or woman or whatever. It's their money so do what you want but it just feels like they are showing off and just asking to be robbed.

ElectricEye
05-07-2011, 07:35 PM
In a free society, we're also able to say thing like "wow those people are ******* dumb". They have every right to spend their money the way they like...Allen has every right to think it's stupid.

Probably no real point in talking about it with the media though. I'm sure a lot of NFL players feel that way about guys, but it's just better not to say anything to cause any potential tension in the locker room. Allen is the kind of guy who can pull this off without incident though, I think.

phlysac
05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I think an underlying issue is that few of these athletes have actually earned money yet. They've been "fronted" money. It's the same story in any entertainment profession. You have to be VERY careful with this fronted money. Whether it's from agents, clothing companies, etc. The risk is not just "wasting" money on jewelery, but using money that isn't even yours to buy these materialistic things and then when you begin to actually earn your own money, you purchase more materialistic things and forget that you have to pay back all of the money that has already been fronted to you.

It's a loan game, and I can assure you I had little to zero knowlede of how it actually worked when I was 20-23. It doesn't hurt to have someone older to balance you out once in a while. Whether you believe it's their business or not.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Funny part is, a portion, albeit small, of those players with all that bling will be on hard times financially in the future....I think that is the point. It isn't a guarantee, but people get very excited to blow their money on whatever they can.

I see people's points on he can't tell them how to spend, but his points are valid. They don't have the money yet, and especially in time of lockout, may not for a period of time. Not wise spending.

Jared Allen's DUI's have nothing to do with this topic and what he spoke on, so anyone who brings that up as why his comments aren't valid are pulling stuff from their ass. I guess in that case Allen shouldn't give pass rush advise either, you know, because he had a DUI and isn't credible. Point is, neither has something to do with the other, and one doesn't make the other invalid....

I agree with Allen, but I also don't get the whole huge bling thing, so i may be biased. I hope they all end up financially stable....but odds are they won't/

bucfan12
05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I have never understood anyone dropping that kinda money on jewelry be it a man or woman or whatever. It's their money so do what you want but it just feels like they are showing off and just asking to be robbed.

Agreed. Even if I had that kind of money, I would put it to better use than jewerly.

descendency
05-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Some of the "guaranteed" money doesn't come until after a season is played.

Others are banking on future guarantees (see Dez Bryant).

descendency
05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
stuff like this makes it more and more obvious that universities need to force a pre-req in money management. for all students. i personally couldn't care less what rookie X buys. but i feel like they should be given the tools to understand the loans they're given, or the way they're spending their money. they should be able to understand that they won't play forever and that they may well need some way to support themselves in 10 years. i'd guess the vast majority aren't thinking much past 10 minutes from now, at this point, and that's sort of sad.

Let's be honest though. They definitely need to set aside athletes and show them how fast a million dollars can go.

It's not like a college kid who comes out making 60+K a year. Some of them will make 60+k a check and have "guaranteed" contracts of upwards of 1 million dollars.

It's really easy to say "well, I've got so much money and I'll have more coming" and then get hit with the lockout.

Brothgar
05-07-2011, 10:43 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2010/0727/dm_100727_ncf_qbs_outside_herm.jpg

My advice to young players ready to get drafted is be smart with your money. 1 house 1 car and 1 piece of bling not the Mr. T starter kit.

TitansCJftw
05-07-2011, 11:19 PM
the whole thing is just disappointing really its drunken redneck vs thug life bling bling either way they both lose whether it be to a lawyer or a jewelry broker both are lame

Abaddon
05-07-2011, 11:58 PM
For better or worse, it's their right to look like drug dealers if they so choose. Doesn't make them any less the idiots, though.

Abaddon
05-08-2011, 12:03 AM

Going broke trying to look like you have money. Hilarious, really.

SickwithIt1010
05-08-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm curious... Where do you draw the line? If you had kids (or if you have kids now), would you tell them to watch how they spend their money or would you "mind your own damn business?"

Do you really think that Allen sending a message like this out to some of his friends is intrusive?

They arent his friends, hes talking about it in an interview. He doesnt know many of these kids at all.

They can buy whatever the **** they want. He isnt their parent.

soybean
05-08-2011, 12:12 AM
having expensive jewelry is a necessity if you're in the nfl. You can't look like a broke ass niggah playing in the NFL... it's just not right.

GaMeTiMe
05-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Those that are bashing Allen are completely missing the point and being nothing but hypocritical. If Allen can't speak his mind about his co-workers showing up to work on their first day all flashy with their entire signing bonus around their neck, why can you log into draft countdown and even have a public opinion about anything either. And don't say because it's because he's an NFL player and talk about "the shield" because this isn't even controversial, it's a basic opinion

I'm sure he's seen it first hand, and obviously knows about the guys like that that've been in the league and it's true.

But at the end of the day, those are usually the guys that bust or just get arrested anyway.

They probably could've gotten him to hint more at black people though and put a big racist spin on it. Miss..

Ness
05-08-2011, 03:51 AM
I can understand what Allen is saying and it's a good message, but at the same time it's really none of his business how others spend their money. If I was a rookie player though I'd listen to him for a second and consider his advice. Makes perfect sense.

soybean
05-08-2011, 04:06 AM

suggestions and advice are only warranted when they are welcomed. What if they don't wanna hear from his red neck ass?

Kurve
05-08-2011, 04:50 AM
I must say i agree with Allen on his comments ...but one thing i think many fail to put in consideration is how many players actually own these watches and jewerly? I bet you majority have rented them as many celebrities do rather then paying for them you rent them and always have something new on. Second if they arnt renting them how are they getting the money for this with out being signed yet? Yes there is a possibility of getting signed but nothing is true until its in writing even if that person is the 1st pick of the draft. I think majority of these players are renting their jewerly and watches.

OhioJB
05-08-2011, 05:11 AM
When Allen stops wasting money on those stupid hats he wears on Rome's ESPN show, he'll sound more credible. Not to mention all the money he's wasting on alcohol. He's probably one of those guys who rips people for spending money on lottery tickets as he's slamming a case of beer on the counter. He's a loudmouth who likes to make waves. Absolutely none of his business how the rookies spend their own money, which they know is going to start flowing into their bank accounts before long.

More of that same interview was posted on another site, and he went on to slam the players for hugging Goodell during the lockout. Other players tried to persuade the incoming rookies through the media not to go to the draft using the argument owners were trying to reduce rookie contracts. Funny thing is, that's exactly what the veteran players are after as well to sweeten the pot for themselves.

gouldo
05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Jared Allen makes a great point. These guys havent earned a cracker yet, yet they are spending big $$ on jewellery.

If these players go undrafted, (Herzlich - Not stating he spent $$, but an indication of my point of being undrafted) and they have spent expected earned $$ on this stuff, then they get themselves into strife with paying back the $$ owned.

It would be very difficult to make rules in relation to this type of behaviour. But IMO it sets a poor example to others on responsibilities in life.

Allen, regardless of his DUI issues, makes a great point, and as an experienced player who made bugger all initially in the league, he should be listened too.

Rabscuttle
05-08-2011, 10:34 AM
It's either bling or child support.

Ness
05-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I must say i agree with Allen on his comments ...but one thing i think many fail to put in consideration is how many players actually own these watches and jewerly? I bet you majority have rented them as many celebrities do rather then paying for them you rent them and always have something new on. Second if they arnt renting them how are they getting the money for this with out being signed yet? Yes there is a possibility of getting signed but nothing is true until its in writing even if that person is the 1st pick of the draft. I think majority of these players are renting their jewerly and watches.

I hate renting things. I don't want to owe money, because you never know when the money is going to stop coming in. Obviously some things like mortgages are necessary when it comes to buying a house in most cases, but at the same time I still wouldn't feel good about it. A lot of times I wish financial rules were like the wild west. I buy something from someone and that's the end of it.

Ness
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM
When Allen stops wasting money on those stupid hats he wears on Rome's ESPN show, he'll sound more credible. Not to mention all the money he's wasting on alcohol. He's probably one of those guys who rips people for spending money on lottery tickets as he's slamming a case of beer on the counter. He's a loudmouth who likes to make waves. Absolutely none of his business how the rookies spend their own money, which they know is going to start flowing into their bank accounts before long.

Will it? It's a lockout. It's pretty dumb to assume all the money will be flowing in soon. We don't know how long this will take. And buying hats and booze is a lot different than buying thousands of dollars of jewelry and twenty inch rims that spin. Oh yeah no to mention Allen already has his money in his bank account.

bearsfan_51
05-08-2011, 01:03 PM
You assume. You have no idea where Allen has his money.

marty264
05-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Not to mention all the money he's wasting on alcohol. He's probably one of those guys who rips people for spending money on lottery tickets as he's slamming a case of beer on the counter.

How are things back in 2006? Allen has been sober for quite some time.

Shahin
05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Nobody buys spinners anymore.

That is my contribution to this thread.

Ness
05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
You assume. You have no idea where Allen has his money.

Okay. Allen has his money. There we go. The point wasn't about where he has it. It's the fact that he has it instead of "he's going to get it hopefully".

CashmoneyDrew
05-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Okay. Allen has his money. There we go. The point wasn't about where he has it. It's the fact that he has it instead of "he's going to get it hopefully".

And how does one know that these rookies don't have money from endorsements?

bearsfan_51
05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
And how do we know that Jared Allen hasn't completely blown through his money? I don't want to be the "that's racist" guy, but people are making huge claims about who can and can't handle money based on a lot of huge assumptions.

Mark Brunnell ended up broke because he made a lot of stupid real estate purchases. You can blown your money on a lot more things than just jewelry.

ElectricEye
05-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Do we have any information to say that he did? If we did, fine. As it stands...that's just kind of a random. Combined with implied racial overtones, it does a pretty good job to discourage anyone saying anything objective about wasting money on shiny things though, so + one in the strawman catagory.

bearsfan_51
05-08-2011, 04:56 PM
It's not random. The entire conversation is predicated on the fact that people are just assuming that Allen has good financial management skills.

Of course people should make sound financial decisions. That's not the point of the discussion. It's all about:

1) Is that anyone else's business?
2) Is Jared Allen really the best person to make these claims?

I'm not saying anyone is racist, and certainly spending money on dumb **** is a bad decision if you're white or black, it's just odd to me that some people are just assuming Allen has his **** together, even though he has been arrested multiple times and has a documented substance abuse problem.

ElectricEye
05-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I just don't see how anything wrong with Allen is relevant at this point. We've moved pasted the speaker in the discussion and more onto the point raised at this point.

phlysac
05-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I think people are reading the tone incorrectly. In my opinion, he's not telling the new guys how to spend their money. He's commenting on the fact thast they don't have jobs yet and are spending advances and "promises." I think that he would've stayed mum had the CBA been signed and these young guys were actually employed and earning money. As of yet, they arent. Yet they are still spending as if they are.

bearsfan_51
05-08-2011, 07:03 PM
buh....whatever. i have a lengthy response, but i can already picture your condescending asshat response, and it's not really a road i want to go down.

i find it odd that Allen focuses on such a small portion of the financial spending that nfl players make. i find it odd that people just assume he has his financial house in order, while other players don't, without any evidence one way or the other. draw your own conclusions, i don't care.

Ness
05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
And how does one know that these rookies don't have money from endorsements?

How do we know that they do? That's the entire point. We and they probably don't know if and when they are actually going to HAVE that money. And I doubt most of the rookies except the ones that were household names and picked in the first round are going to have endorsement deals. This message just doesn't go towards the popular guys.

And how do we know that Jared Allen hasn't completely blown through his money? I don't want to be the "that's racist" guy, but people are making huge claims about who can and can't handle money based on a lot of huge assumptions.

Mark Brunnell ended up broke because he made a lot of stupid real estate purchases. You can blown your money on a lot more things than just jewelry.

True. Brunnel did screw up. But how many cases do we hear regarding something like compared to what Allen is talking about?

CashmoneyDrew
05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
How do we know that they do? That's the entire point. We and they probably don't know if and when they are actually going to HAVE that money. And I doubt most of the rookies except the ones that were household names and picked in the first round are going to have endorsement deals. This message just doesn't go towards the popular guys.

Did we see a lot of the "nonpopular" guys wearing all kinds of bling though? I'm just pointing out that there are other ways for these guys to make money than just their NFL contracts. Also, who is to say they even paid for the jewelry? It could have been given to them by the companies or agents.

I just think it's jumping the gun a little to assume these guys are just blowing money they may or may not have.

CashmoneyDrew
05-08-2011, 10:41 PM
this is a fair point; i'd guess that some of the companies 'loan' players gear as a form of advertisement in the same way a lot of x games athletes (for instance) get sponsored.

That's way more manly of an example then what I was thinking of. (Women and jewelry for the red carpets)

BigBanger
05-09-2011, 12:36 AM
I find his comments racist.

Complex
05-09-2011, 01:02 AM
That's way more manly of an example then what I was thinking of. (Women and jewelry for the red carpets)

I remember one of the players in the draft a couple years ago said a jeweler lent him the jewelry for the night.

wordofi
05-09-2011, 01:27 AM
I agree with Allen, but it's neither his nor my business.

wicket
05-09-2011, 01:33 AM
I find his comments racist.

I think its racist that you consider his comments racist

TimD
05-09-2011, 08:30 AM
on a side note, jewelry wont depreciate in value.. its very materialistic but not that dumb

im sure none of them were thinking that when they bought it, but in a worse case scenario, they can sell it

rchrd
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
This link isnt really relevant to the argument, but whilst quite old now I found it a very good read on the athletes with money topic. I'm sure most of you have read it anyway but here goes...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/index.htm

FlyingElvis
05-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Jared Allen is and always has been a giant douche. He does some excellent things with his money/notoriety, for which I applaud him. But he's still a giant douche.

stuff like this makes it more and more obvious that universities need to force a pre-req in money management. for all students. i personally couldn't care less what rookie X buys. but i feel like they should be given the tools to understand the loans they're given, or the way they're spending their money. they should be able to understand that they won't play forever and that they may well need some way to support themselves in 10 years. i'd guess the vast majority aren't thinking much past 10 minutes from now, at this point, and that's sort of sad.

I'm sure that would do wonders for whatever nerdy kid gets tasked with taking the course for the "student athlete."