PDA

View Full Version : Right Place, Right Time - Players Drafted Into Ideal Situations?

nfldraftfan
05-07-2011, 12:24 PM
http://tinyurl.com/5vtzyhl

Article talks about players who may have been picked in the later rounds who may have a chance to compete for playing time right away based on team needs.

Tandon Doss - Ravens
Martez Wilson - Saints
Justin Houston - Chiefs
Ahmad Black - Bucs
Austin Pettis/Greg Salas - Rams

Don Vito
05-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Ryan Mallett got drafted into the best possible situation he could have landed in.

fenikz
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Sam Acho is the perfect fit pretty hard to beat that

I don't see how Salas or Pettis are good fits at all, STL is loaded with #3 WR, they needed a #1 & #2 and failed to get either

TheSlinger
05-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Ryan Mallett got drafted into the best possible situation he could have landed in.

I'm sure he'll be ecstatic about never having the slightest chance to start. I wonder how he'll deal with the frustration?

stl9erfan
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Early-Round picks who I think are in great situations:

I think Kaepernick is in a good situation with the 49ers, given that he matches the general kind of QB Harbaugh has molded and won with at the college level, and that he's not going to be expected to start right away. Moreover, when he does get on the field, eventually, he'l be playing behind an OL chock full of former top picks, throwing to a Pro Bowl TE, and handing off to Frank Gore. The supporting cast is there for him.

I also really like Fairley's fit in Detroit. If some of Suh's and KVB's motor rubs off on him, that takes care of his biggest issue.

Also like Quinn's situation in St. Louis, because anytime Spags drafts a DL, you know he's got a plan.

And even though I think they gave up too much to move up and get him, the fit is really great for Julio Jones in Atlanta.

RealityCheck
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm sure he'll be ecstatic about never having the slightest chance to start. I wonder how he'll deal with the frustration?
He isn't worried about starting early. He just wants what's best for him. I guess he can't be happier in New England. He'll be earning good money doing nothing but holding the clipboard for four years or so. Just like Rodgers did.

And Kaepernick has the potential of a future MVP. San Fran is just perfect for him.

Hurricanes25
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Roy Helu of the Redskins should get a lot of carries this year. I don't think Portis is going back.

VernonLawson89
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Kaepernick

Shahin
05-07-2011, 02:38 PM
First guy to pop into my head was Mallett, for the reasons that people have already mentioned.

the natural
05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Gabbert in a good spot. For the same reasons as Mallett, except his wait shouldn't be nearly as long. Also Jacksonville is about the lowest profile team in the league, so whatever he does early on won't be scrutinized too much. He wanted to go first overall, but maybe that would have left him too satisfied.

coordinator0
05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Jah Reid will probably play more than Doss for the Ravens. Well, assuming Gaither is gone. Yanda is being moved back to guard (his best fit) and our only other option at RT is Cousins and I doubt the staff is comfortable with him there or else he would have started last season.

M.O.T.H.
05-07-2011, 04:31 PM
mehhhhh. From the player's perspective, Mallett is in a horrible place to be. Guys want to play, no one wants to be Doug Pederson. I def. think he'd be much happier, given a situation where he was much closer to seeing the field. Sit for four years? What player in their right mind would be happy at the prospect of sitting for four years? lol.

He'd probably kill to be Dalton or CK right now.

Don Vito
05-07-2011, 04:46 PM

I am sure Mallett is pissed that he won't be starting early, he has a big ego and by most accounts is an arrogant prick. Hopefully he realizes that he wound up in the best situation he could have possibly found.

Hurricanes25
05-07-2011, 04:59 PM
mehhhhh. From the player's perspective, Mallett is in a horrible place to be. Guys want to play, no one wants to be Doug Pederson. I def. think he'd be much happier, given a situation where he was much closer to seeing the field. Sit for four years? What player in their right mind would be happy at the prospect of sitting for four years? lol.

He'd probably kill to be Dalton or CK right now.

100% agree. And I remember reading that Brady wants to play into his 40's so unless something crazy happens, I don't think Mallett figures in to their future plans.

If Mallett learns somehing from Brady, maybe this is good for the longterm, but for the short term, not so much.

Saints-Tigers
05-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Romeus is another good one for the Saints. He won't be asked to play early, and he gets to learn from a veteran heavy D-line with a great defensive coordinator.

Just hope he gets healthy.

FUNBUNCHER
05-07-2011, 05:11 PM
The 'best' situation for Mallett would have been being drafted by Minnesota, Tennessee or Arizona, like he should have been.

Teams that bypassed him are going to pay NE/Belichick a premium to take him off the Patriots' roster, which will end up being a 1st rounder +.

About playing time in NE for Mallett, who knows?? Only saying it's not a given to suggest that a starting QB won't get hurt.

THE best situation for any rookie was Nick Fairley being selected by the Detroit Lions.

G-E-N-I-U-S!!!
Domination!

PossibleCabbage
05-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Randall Cobb landed in a pretty good spot. Going to a team with a great young quarterback who distributes the ball effectively, an offensive-minded head coach who loves multiplicity out of his offensive sets and versatility out of his offensive players, and with a huge gaping cavernous void at both returner positions... he certainly could have done worse.

StickSkills
05-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Roy Helu of the Redskins should get a lot of carries this year. I don't think Portis is going back.

Unless Royster steps it up...

bucfan12
05-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Unless Royster steps it up...

Royster is going to be a steal. Pure runner, excellent cuts and vision. May not be a burner, but is a solid back.

djp
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
How about Demarcus Love going to Minnesota? Should have every opportunity to take the right guard spot very early after falling so far after the Senior Bowl.

Babylon
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Homerism aside Jake Locker comes into a situation with a very good offensive line, all pro RB and WR. Ideally he sits for half the year and observes but my guess is with Collins and Simms there (supposedly) Locker will be the adult in the room from day one.l

Pat Sims 90
05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Dalton got put into a good situation even though he will prolly have to start his 1st year. He is a perfect fit for Jay Gruden's West Coast Offense and the Bengals have weapons around him to be successful.

Mikel Leshoure is another one that comes to mind. Javid Best is a better 3rd down/situational back and Leshoure is the big back that they need to complement Best.

vidae
05-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Jonathan Baldwin to the Chiefs. Haley will sort his crap out.

TACKLE
05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Randall Cobb, Greg Little, Edmond Gates, Daniel Thomas, Marcus Gilchrist and Jonathan Baldwin stand out to me as great fits with their new teams.

SenorGato
05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Sam Acho is the perfect fit pretty hard to beat that

I don't see how Salas or Pettis are good fits at all, STL is loaded with #3 WR, they needed a #1 & #2 and failed to get either

I don't think the Rams care about the #1 WR stuff..I think they think their QB is good enough to win with a bunch of guys who can run pro routes and catch pro passes...I like the idea alot honestly...the Pats and Colts make it work extremely well because of the level of play they see at QB. The Rams must think very highly of that Bradford guy. I like what they've done...OL + QB with everything else on offense being secondary...the OL should be built first, which they made sure to do.

I think both Wilkerson and Ellis are right place/right timing it. They're the first two draft picks Rex Ryan the HC has used on his DL. I don't think Rex is going to mess them up, especially after his pride took a jab by the Gholston failure (maybe).

Others:

Torrey Smith - The Ravens get a Donte Stallworth clone without having to deal with the actual Donte Stallworth. Their WR group needs his speed.

Kerley fits the Jets' need for a slot WR perfectly. It was an extremely underrated need.

Cameron Newton - This one might be controversial, but I love it when young QBs get put behind big OLs with big running game potential. I think it's more important than getting WRs in there. The Panthers IMO are a sleeper candidate for a top 3 running game next year.

There's probably more. Julio Jones is almost definitely right place/right timing it.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Ummmm sorry guys, you're all wet on this one. It's Gabe Carimi to the Bears :)

Most pro-ready, slam dunk, day one starter at either tackle spot for us and filling easily our biggest need all the way down at #29. Thanks everyone!

Rosebud
05-08-2011, 02:27 PM

http://www.decadentlifestyle.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/p-1-442.jpg

jth1331
05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know about Mallett really going into the best situation.
Basically I see him sitting for 3 years, and the Pats hope he grooms into somebody they can net a 2nd or 1st round pick for, ala Matt Hasselbeck when he was a Packer.

I agree with Fairley in Detroit, that DL will be nasty.

Personally I think Demarco Murray is in a good place in Dallas. Split carries and will provide a lot of versatility out of the backfield.

For one I think people are loving Kaepernick way too much. Potential to be MVP? If teams thought he had the potential to be a MVP player, he wouldn't have lasted til the 2nd round. He needs to hone in his skills a bit before I'd say he's ready to start.

TimmG6376
05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't know about Mallett really going into the best situation.
Basically I see him sitting for 3 years, and the Pats hope he grooms into somebody they can net a 2nd or 1st round pick for, ala Matt Hasselbeck when he was a Packer.

It may not be what Mallett would have dreamed of, but I think a lot of people believe that if he had been put in the position of being a high draft pick with the weight of a franchise on his shoulders he would be Leaf 2.0. So from that point of view he couldn't have been put in a better place to grow up and become a pro before being asked to lead a franchise.

The_Dude
05-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Gabbert in a good spot. For the same reasons as Mallett, except his wait shouldn't be nearly as long. Also Jacksonville is about the lowest profile team in the league, so whatever he does early on won't be scrutinized too much. He wanted to go first overall, but maybe that would have left him too satisfied.

What a surprise....

cajuncorey
05-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Solder and Cannon both went to the right place.

K Train
05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
solder maybe, not sure i agree with cannon though he could have found a home nearly anywhere. solder is perfect for NE though, imo hed bust hard most other teams