PDA

View Full Version : Scott, RE: Kyle Williams

Captain Canuck
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Let me preface my post by saying I absolutely love your site and appreciate all the work you put into it. However I'd love for you to explain this:

"Right now Buffalo doesn’t have anything even closely resembling an impact talent along their defensive line but that would change with the addition of Dareus."

IMO this is completely wrong, and its clear you haven't watched many Bills games. Kyle Williams is a completely dominant player, who I believe is close to elite and a top 5 DT in the league. The guy is so underrated its not even funny.

In a recent Pro Football Focus article (a website that analyses every snap from every game ranked him 3rd in their Top 101 Players of 2010. Here is what they said about him:

" 3. Kyle Williams, DT, Buffalo Bills
If there is one player I love to sing the praises of it’s this man. Underrated and not getting the love he deserves, Williams didn’t get my choice for PFF Defensive Player of the Year, but got everyone else’s. Put in the greatest defensive tackle display I’ve ever seen against Pittsburgh and earned the praise of the Patriots who recognized him as one of the hardest players to play against. What’s more, he did this in two different schemes and with so little talent around him. I’ve written so many plaudits about Williams it would be impossible not to repeat myself, but this was truly a season for the ages and it’s a travesty so few have recognized it.
Best Performance: Week 12 versus Pittsburgh (+12.6)
Key Stat: Only 17 defenders (all linebackers) had more defensive stops than Kyle Williams."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/06/the-top-101-players-of-2010-the-top-20/

I was just wondering if you could explain your comment above, and defend your stance on Kyle Williams.

PACKmanN
05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Let me preface my post by saying I absolutely love your site and appreciate all the work you put into it. However I'd love for you to explain this:

"Right now Buffalo doesnít have anything even closely resembling an impact talent along their defensive line but that would change with the addition of Dareus."

IMO this is completely wrong, and its clear you haven't watched many Bills games. Kyle Williams is a completely dominant player, who I believe is close to elite and a top 5 DT in the league. The guy is so underrated its not even funny.

In a recent Pro Football Focus article (a website that analyses every snap from every game ranked him 3rd in their Top 101 Players of 2010. Here is what they said about him:

" 3. Kyle Williams, DT, Buffalo Bills
If there is one player I love to sing the praises of itís this man. Underrated and not getting the love he deserves, Williams didnít get my choice for PFF Defensive Player of the Year, but got everyone elseís. Put in the greatest defensive tackle display Iíve ever seen against Pittsburgh and earned the praise of the Patriots who recognized him as one of the hardest players to play against. Whatís more, he did this in two different schemes and with so little talent around him. Iíve written so many plaudits about Williams it would be impossible not to repeat myself, but this was truly a season for the ages and itís a travesty so few have recognized it.
Best Performance: Week 12 versus Pittsburgh (+12.6)
Key Stat: Only 17 defenders (all linebackers) had more defensive stops than Kyle Williams."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/06/the-top-101-players-of-2010-the-top-20/

I was just wondering if you could explain your comment above, and defend your stance on Kyle Williams.

I wouldn`t say top 5, but I did except him to do well in the switch. However, I see him similar to how Domoata Peko was looked at a few years back.

Monomach
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Kyle Williams was indeed dominant this year. The man is criminally underrated and played like a top 5 DT.

Not that this thread is going to make a difference in that. People are still going to be all "lol yeah right kyle williams sucks."

Kind of like Danieal Manning. Sixth-best safety last season, laughed off by everyone.

no bare feet
05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I would not call Kyle Williams anything more than underrated and abovea verage. Dareus' potential craps on Kyle Williams' above averageness. Don't use PFF or FO as your end all be all, btw

K Train
05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
pouncey played fantastic last year against everyone except ngata and kyle williams....and kyle williams gave him more trouble than ngata did....explain that **** lol

kyle williams just flat out raped kemoeatu in that game though

PACKmanN
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
his non-stop motor and his able to get low paid level is what helps him beat blockers

FUNBUNCHER
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Playing with Dareus will make him even more effective, too bad the Bills gave up on the 43.

Those two penetrating inside could have been something special.

K Train
05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
im sure they will be playing a base 43 before too long

Captain Canuck
05-11-2011, 04:08 PM
im sure they will be playing a base 43 before too long

No they won't. Buddy Nix has said they will be playing a be a base 3-4 and draft for a 3-4, but mix in some 4-3 looks sometimes like a lot of teams do.

Captain Canuck
05-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I really wanted Scott to chime in on this post and explain why he doesn't feel Kyle Williams is an elite/close to elite player.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Kyle Williams is most definately a top 5 DT. He was probably the second best DT in the league last year behind Ngata and just ahead of Suh. Guy is an absolute monster.

K Train
05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
No they won't. Buddy Nix has said they will be playing a be a base 3-4 and draft for a 3-4, but mix in some 4-3 looks sometimes like a lot of teams do.

well when that experiement fails ill be ready to watch dareus play in their new 43 defense

K Train
05-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Kyle Williams is most definately a top 5 DT. He was probably the second best DT in the league last year behind Ngata and just ahead of Suh. Guy is an absolute monster.

the guy was really good....but weve reached a low point in pro football when we reach a point where we can throw out absolute monster at just anyone and people be ok with it.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
...I would throw out absolute monster pretty safely to a guy I thought was a top 2 player at his position...especially one like DT

K Train
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
i think people are too quick to call a player elite...elite prospects are drafted high, elite players are future hall of famers.

kyle williams is not elite....nationally underrated, yes...very good, yes...absolute monster, no

ElectricEye
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Williams played like a top five DT and one of the best NT's in the league last year, I agree completely. Dan Koppen has a terrible time blocking nose tackles, but two guys flat out abused him last year; BJ Raji and Kyle Williams. Williams managed to pull it off twice too, with literally zero valuable front seven help around him, besides some linebackers you can argue are steady to league average.

He's going to be nationally underrated because he's playing for a Bills team that has little to no national interest right now and because the fanbase is rightfully apathetic at the moment. The league knows who this guy is and what he's about for sure right now though. Not sure why Scott worded things that way and I didn't catch it...but I certainly vehemently disagree with it. Daerus and Williams are going to be a massive pain to block next year for the Patriots.

SuperMcGee
05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I would not call Kyle Williams anything more than underrated and abovea verage. Dareus' potential craps on Kyle Williams' above averageness. Don't use PFF or FO as your end all be all, btw

He's not using those sites as his end all be all. The guy is a Bills fan who I'm guessing, like me, has seen every game Williams has played over the past two years and how ******* good he has been in those games. Say what you will about homerism, but Williams was a top DT in the league last year and that wouldn't have been a surprise based off of his previous season, had there not been scheme questions surrounding him.

Bills2083
05-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Be completely honest here.. how many times did you actually watch Williams play last season? Because unless you're a.) Bills fan or b.) fan of a team that played the Bills, you most likely watched him about somewhere around 0 times (nobody else watches Bills games lol).

I really am curious to see because if you only watched once or twice, if any at all, chances are you did not key in on him at all. Plus, networks such as ESPN and NFL Network don't give the Bills any recognition whatsoever, so nobody ever sees how good he really is.

Rabscuttle
05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Just enjoy him until his contract expires and he goes on to greener pastures. -Buzz Killington

Vox Populi
05-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm hoping now that the Bills have a real GM with Nix that we actually re-sign some guys and keep Williams after his contract expires next year.

Bills2083
05-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping now that the Bills have a real GM with Nix that we actually re-sign some guys and keep Williams after his contract expires next year.

We can almost guarantee that the team will overpay him just to ensure that he stays here, especially with the way Buddy makes him out to be the best thing since sliced bread lol

Iamcanadian
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM
We can almost guarantee that the team will overpay him just to ensure that he stays here, especially with the way Buddy makes him out to be the best thing since sliced bread lol

Don't count on it, Ralph Wilson controls the purse strings for Buffalo and as a rule, he lets his top players go either in FA or by trade.
As for Williams, he had a fine season and is a solid starter but to get called elite, you have to make a huge impact, and basically, Buffalo's defense stunk and as long as it does, Williams will not be considered elite.

no bare feet
05-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Be completely honest here.. how many times did you actually watch Williams play last season? Because unless you're a.) Bills fan or b.) fan of a team that played the Bills, you most likely watched him about somewhere around 0 times (nobody else watches Bills games lol).

I really am curious to see because if you only watched once or twice, if any at all, chances are you did not key in on him at all. Plus, networks such as ESPN and NFL Network don't give the Bills any recognition whatsoever, so nobody ever sees how good he really is.

I watched both games vs. the Pats, game vs. Chiefs and the game in buffalo v. jets. He is a very good player, underrated but he is not where Kevin Williams was 3-4 years ago, not where Ngata is now, not where Suh is now..top 5 4-3 DT yes. You put him next to Dareus, he could become ELITE, which he is not now. I didn't want to sound like Williams is a slouch though. I think he is a top 5 4-3 DT in the game.