PDA

View Full Version : “Life coach” fires JaMarcus Russell

elway=goat
05-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, about a month old, but still hilarious. What a failure...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/14/life-coach-fires-jamarcus-russell/

If JaMarcus Russell hasn’t hit bottom yet, we are not looking forward to what’s coming next.

The latest embarrassment for the former No. 1 overall pick: Russell’s “life coach” John Lucas told Russell he would no longer work with him and asked Russell to leave Houston, according to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

Just think about that for a second. A man who is getting paid to help Russell, a man who makes a career out of rehabilitating athletes, gave up on the kid.

Russell reportedly worked hard after starting to work with Lucas last September, but he quickly lost focus. He showed up to NFL workouts last November and December out of shape, and his work habits “continued to deteriorate.” Lucas grew tired of trying to get Russell to care.

“The title of your article should be, ‘It’s Over,’ ” one source told Cole. “It’s just amazing that you could say that about somebody who is 25 years old and just got drafted four years ago. But it’s been almost a year since he got cut and there’s no interest. Even before the lockout, nobody wanted to get near the kid.”

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Dude has a cannon for an arm. He's going to be a good one.

niel89
05-09-2011, 06:43 PM
God damn Russell just doesn't give a ****. I guess he is just content with the cash he got. I can totally see him blowing through all his cash in a couple of years somehow too.

sbh15
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
The dude clearly was never very interested in the NFL. He just wanted to do a lot of drugs in peace and that $60 mil he got definitely allowed that.

wordofi
05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
That's too funny.

PACKmanN
05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
who`s next., his personal trainer

Nandoss
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
That's intangibles for ya.

FUNBUNCHER
05-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Former NBA baller John Lucas I think is suggesting Russell has more problems than just motivation.

Like substance abuse....the DRANK.

Lucas overcame his own cocaine addiction as an athlete, but when someone like Lucas simply gives up on a player and can't reach them, to me it says the priorities in Russell's life are seriously out of order.

If he NEVER makes it back to the league, Russell has to go down as the greatest NFL bust of alltime.

CJSchneider
05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
who`s next., his personal trainer

I think he quit long ago, and if not he needs to be fired.

phlysac
05-10-2011, 09:25 AM
It's difficult for me not to think about Nick Fairley's relationship with Russell.

FUNBUNCHER
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
It's difficult for me not to think about Nick Fairley's relationship with Russell.

Knowing a bum doesn't make you one.
I think we all know a couple.lol

Simply because of the nature of their respective positions, JaMarcus Russell never played the game of football with the passion or desire that Fairley did.

phlysac
05-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Knowing a bum doesn't make you one.
I think we all know a couple.lol

Simply because of the nature of their respective positions, JaMarcus Russell never played the game of football with the passion or desire that Fairley did.

I'm not condemning Fairley at all. But he doesn't just "know" Russell, they're really good friends. Not the best role model. And Fairley didn't always display the "passion" that you speak of. I saw an interview (perhaps with Gruden) where he asked why he had such a tremendous season after not doing much previously and Fairley's answer was "I dedicated myself." So there is precedent for Fairley being a football player lacking dedication.

Again, I'm not making the leap to compare them. It's just a scary thought.

Saints-Tigers
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
JaMarcus Russell is like Barry Sanders or Drew BRees. You can't use him as an example.

All short QBs and small runningbacks aren't going to succeed, it's just not the norm.

All lazy guys aren't going to be as lazy as Jamarcus. He's just an all time great there, and really special.

Raiderz4Life
05-10-2011, 04:32 PM
JaMarcus Russell is like Barry Sanders or Drew BRees. You can't use him as an example.

All short QBs and small runningbacks aren't going to succeed, it's just not the norm.

All lazy guys aren't going to be as lazy as Jamarcus. He's just an all time great there, and really special.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Saints-Tigers again

=/

tjsunstein
05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Russell fired his personal trainer for pushing him a little too hard through warm ups.

Monomach
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I can't really blame Russell. If I had that much money, I'd be like "whatever" as far as effort goes, too. I wouldn't be sipping that purple drank, clubbing, and blowing my money on jewelry, but I'd probably spend 50% of my time travelling around the world and 50% just sitting around playing video games. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be working out to get back into the NFL at all.

...and that's why I support overhauling the rookie pay system.

FUNBUNCHER
05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I can't really blame Russell. If I had that much money, I'd be like "whatever" as far as effort goes, too. I wouldn't be sipping that purple drank, clubbing, and blowing my money on jewelry, but I'd probably spend 50% of my time travelling around the world and 50% just sitting around playing video games. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be working out to get back into the NFL at all.

...and that's why I support overhauling the rookie pay system.

True, but Russell isn't even going through the motions. He's abusing codeine still IMO, but what's sad is JaMarcus doesn't seem to really even like playing football that much anymore.

I have to be honest though, if I was 22 years old and had the bank that Bill Gates/Mark Zuckerberg/Paul Allen had, I'd be more inclined to cash out like Allen and live my life instead of being a captain of industry.

Human nature is a *****, and giving kids that much scratch when many aren't mature enough to prioritize the rest of their lives is a risky proposition, even more so for a QB drafted 1/1.

FlyingElvis
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
God damn Russell just doesn't give a ****. I guess he is just content with the cash he got. I can totally see him blowing through all his cash in a couple of years somehow too.

I give him two more before he's broke, tops. I have confidence in his ability to blow through ~38M inside of 6 years, which should put him into the news for bankruptcy sometime in 2012.

Iamcanadian
05-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I give him two more before he's broke, tops. I have confidence in his ability to blow through ~38M inside of 6 years, which should put him into the news for bankruptcy sometime in 2012.

It is actually about 19 million, the other 19 million will go to pay taxes.

FlyingElvis
05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
It is actually about 19 million, the other 19 million will go to pay taxes.

Silly Canadian. JWhale make north of 60M. 38 is his estimated net earnings.

You're excused, though. I know y'all are thrown off entirely up there with the Canadian dollar valued higher than ours these days. ;)

Iamcanadian
05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Silly Canadian. JWhale make north of 60M. 38 is his estimated net earnings.

You're excused, though. I know y'all are thrown off entirely up there with the Canadian dollar valued higher than ours these days. ;)

H...mmm, 60 million was his contract but only approx 38 million was guaranteed. He never received the other 22 million, not a dime of it.
And he will have to pay 50% of what he received in taxes. So we are back to 19 million he actually had to spend.

FlyingElvis
05-13-2011, 11:01 AM
H...mmm, 60 million was his contract but only approx 38 million was guaranteed. He never received the other 22 million, not a dime of it.
And he will have to pay 50% of what he received in taxes. So we are back to 19 million he actually had to spend.

Curse you for making waste more time researching this asshat.

And curse you again for being right. lol

At ~20M net, I am even more confident that we will hear about JRuss bankruptcy proceedings no later than draft time next year. That really doesn't take a lot of balls to predict since his house is already in foreclosure.

BuckeyeDan17
05-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I really don't mean to sound cynical, but there's no reason to think he's not going to spiral more now. In a couple years we'll probably hear about his bankruptcy, then about his overdose on codeine.

Damnit nevermind I didn't read the whole thread and thought I made the only bankruptcy comment.

[/end dumbassness]

nepg
05-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Honestly, if I was given that kind of cash, I'd probably cash out ASAP and get on with the rest of my life, too. But I'd be doing it consciously and wouldn't have any financial concerns for the rest of my life. Russell's just a moron who will probably be broke in the next couple years.

stephenson86
05-15-2011, 07:32 PM
We need more fat pictures.