PDA

View Full Version : How many rookie QB's start opening day?

49ersfan_87
05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
6 QB's in the top 36, how many of them (or QB's taken after 36 like Mallett or Stanzi for example) will start opening day?

I'll say 3- Newton, Ponder, and Dalton. Locker sits behind a vet (Hasselbeck?), Gabbert behind Garrard, and Kaepernick behind Smith.

K Train
05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
newton, ponder, kapernick, dalton, locker

Gabbert sits behind garrard....and the rest should sit behind someone but wont

J-Mike88
05-09-2011, 07:11 PM
newton, ponder, kapernick, dalton, locker

Gabbert sits behind garrard....and the rest should sit behind someone but wont
I said 4. I don't see Kaepernick starting opening day.

Nandoss
05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Newton has to start, Locker also, Gabbert will only start if Garrard is hurt, Ponder should start, Kaepernick should start also and Dalton will probably start. So I say 5.

After the recent results rookie QBs have gotten if you get one in the top of the first round you have to start them. Gabbert is the only one who can take some time to get acclimated before being thrown on the fire.

If the 49ers give either Smith another chance I think would be a huge mistake. I don't believe the Vikings or the Bengals would be better with any of the FAs, and I also think they won't be able to land one who is even remotely a decent starter with the Cardinals out and about and possibly the Redskins, the Seahawks and the Broncos.

Nalej
05-09-2011, 07:40 PM

Dalton, Locker and Ponder

Splat
05-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Locker sits behind a vet (Hasselbeck?), Gabbert behind Stanzi, and Kaepernick behind Smith.

Stanzi sits behind Cassel and won't be seeing the field unless Cassel gets hurt.

Complex
05-09-2011, 08:07 PM
2 Ponder and Newton(maybe Dalton)

bucfan12
05-09-2011, 08:11 PM
4. Dalton, Newton, Locker, and Ponder.

Locker and Ponder really don't have any competition in front of them and Palmer seems true to his word, so Dalton should play.

Newton is the 1st overall pick, so if the lockout ends soon, then he's the guy. However, if this continues throughout July and early August, Clausen might start the first 4 games or so.

49ersfan_87
05-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Stanzi sits behind Cassel and won't be seeing the field unless Cassel gets hurt.

Hahah, i meant to write Garrard there, don't know why i put Stanzi.

Complex
05-09-2011, 09:30 PM
The titans have said they are signing a veteran and want the QB they sign to start.

phlysac
05-09-2011, 09:39 PM
If the 49ers give either Smith another chance I think would be a huge mistake.

Troy Smith is done in SF. Harbaugh wants Alex back but it'll be Alex's decision.

nepg
05-09-2011, 10:47 PM
4. Dalton, Newton, Locker, and Ponder.

Locker and Ponder really don't have any competition in front of them and Palmer seems true to his word, so Dalton should play.

Newton is the 1st overall pick, so if the lockout ends soon, then he's the guy. However, if this continues throughout July and early August, Clausen might start the first 4 games or so.

I'm rolling with this barring injuries. Kaepernick won't upend Alex Smith...wouldn't be surprised if Kaepernick gets stuck behind him for quite some time, actually. Which is unfortunate because I like both players a lot.

K Train
05-10-2011, 08:42 AM
alex smith might not accept the deal they have on the table...i think he needs a change and should walk somewhere else...and if that happens CK is the starter by default

phlysac
05-10-2011, 09:16 AM
The fact that Alex Smith has been working out with other 49ers players and that Jim Harbaugh gave him a playbook seems to convey the fact that Smith will return.

MassNole
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Depends on when they get into camp.

My guess, 2. Ponder and one other, probably Dalton. I don't think there is much chance Newton will have any grasp of the playbook to be trusted as the starter on Kickoff Weekend. Same can be said for Kaepernick and Locker. As for Gabbert, he sits behind Gerard for a season or so.

49erNation85
05-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Here are my votes ,
Ponder,Newton and Locker.

fenikz
05-10-2011, 04:29 PM
zero

sdafkl;jdflgkjdfkljl;ksdjjsdfl ******* dumb rules

keylime_5
05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I wanna say three, but I'll go the safe route and say 2. Newton will starter. I think either Tennessee or Cincinnati will bring in a veteran to start for at least part of the year over Dalton or Locker. I'm pretty sure San Fran brings back Alex Smith and Minnesota brings in someone like McNabb to start over Ponder.

phlysac
05-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I'll go out on a thin limb and say ZERO will start week 1.

GoRavens
05-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Only Locker and Ponder.
Clausen should beat out Newton, at least for the 1st game.
Dalton isn't a starter yet, but Palmer is out of Cinci so he's got a shot.
PS, I think Kolb would best fit on the Bengals, maybe VY, actually, ew.

Iamcanadian
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
If the lockout carries into August, I'd say none will start till later in the season. You cannot just throw a rookie into the fray without any real practice and no preseason games.