PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca retires

Splat
05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/10/alan-faneca-retires/

Alan Faneca (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=641), a nine-time Pro Bowl guard who has played for the Steelers, Jets and Cardinals, is calling it a career.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Faneca made the decision recently after deciding to prioritize time with his family over playing football.

“After a lot of thought I am announcing my retirement from professional football,” Faneca said in a statement his agent sent to Schefter. “Playing in the NFL has been a childhood dream come true. Thirteen years later I have decided that it is time to move on.”

Faneca was selected by the Steelers in the first round of the 1998 draft. He played 10 years in Pittsburgh and two in New York before finishing his career with one season in Arizona. He missed just two games in 13 seasons.

Don Vito
05-10-2011, 05:57 PM
He had a great career, was a huge reason for the Steelers success during the last decade.

Nalej
05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Damn good player

CJSchneider
05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
So here is the big question: Is he a 1st ballot HoFer?

AntoinCD
05-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Probably not IMO. I dont think at any point in his career was he the clear cut best at his position and for interior offensive linemen it is tough to stand out of the crowd.

Don Vito
05-11-2011, 09:06 AM
He was as dominant a guard that we have seen in this generation, I could see it. He was a flat out animal for a decade and was absolutely perfect for what the Steelers did on offense. He regressed a bit with the Jets but his first year there he was still a very good guard. I will be honest I didn't see him in Arizona, but he was showing that his time was near his last season in New York. I could see him being a first ballot Hall of Famer, he was a dominant player for a decade and won a Super Bowl while going to a ton of pro-bowls. It is a little tougher for interior OL but he was as good as they get for a long time.

killxswitch
05-11-2011, 09:13 AM
As hard as it is for interior linemen I doubt it will be first ballot. But I think he at least should get in. One of the best guards to play in the modern football era.

phlysac
05-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I see two big reasons that I doubt Faneca will get in quickly...

1. The "Anti-Steeler-bias" because of all the players they got in from the 70's teams.
2. Dermonti Dawson may have been the best Steeler OLineman in team history and he's not yet in.

Monomach
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Probably not. He's no Steve Hutchinson. I do hope he eventually gets in, though. I think he deserves it.

Got a lot of respect for the guy. Great career.

K Train
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
He's no Steve Hutchinson.

imo they are pretty much 1a 1b during their careers...both have fallen off and just look old at this point but pretty similarly skilled players

niel89
05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I thought he was awesome with the Steelers but I don't see him as HoF.

Woody56
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Faneca is definately going into the HOF, just don't think on the first ballot.

vidae
05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Great player, great career, but he isn't a first ballot HoFer. I think it'll take him a while to get in.

Vox Populi
05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't think he'll get in the HOF for a while. We've got lots of other offensive linemen coming up that would go before him probably. Will Shields still needs to go in ahead of him and so will Larry Allen at his position. I'm also pretty confident that Kevin Mawae should go ahead of him despite having less post-season success because of his involvement with the NFLPA. His own teammate Dermontti Dawson will be competing with him and the other eligible players. Then hes basically competing with Hutchinson who hasn't even retired yet. I think the fact that the only other 1st ballot guy he'll be up with is Favre will probably help Faneca. It really depends on what kind of backlog there is on offensive linemen. Shields, Ogden, Jones, Allen, Mawae, Dawson and Roaf are all coming up or are already eligible.

There are a lot of other big time guys coming up that aren't eligible yet either like Strahan, Sapp, Brooks, Harrison & Seau that probably all go in ahead of him. Also, just to let everyone know, wikipedia is wrong that he was a 9 time all-pro. He was 6 times 1st team and 2 times 2nd team.

If he doesn't get in quickly hes going to start competing with Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Orlando Pace, Peyton Manning, Ladainian Tomlinson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed. Then there are guys that we aren't sure about, but the HOF voters might feel differently about now or within a year or two like Brian Dawkins, Brian Urlacher, James Harrison, Ronde Barber, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown, John Lynch, etc. (not half of this second tier of guys I don't really think is all that great but are guys that will in all likelihood make it into the list of nominees before it gets hacked to bits)

Really it depends on what the backlog of linemen looks like by then, and then what other players retire within the next couple of years and how strong those first year classes end up being.

RaiderNation
05-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Very very good player, but I think it is a toss up if he makes it in the HoF. There are a lot of other guys more worthy that aren't in yet.

boknows34
05-12-2011, 03:41 AM
I think Faneca makes Canton eventually but he'll have to wait a while with the backlog, especially on the OL. The last interior linemen to make it first ballot was the legendary John Hannah in 1991. Bruce Matthews was also 1st ballot but he played tackle as well for the Oilers/Titans. Larry Allen has a great chance to make it first time in 2013 but lets be brutally honest, as good as Faneca was he is not in that class. In fact Randall McDaniel took 3 attempts and Dermontti Dawson is still waiting and Faneca wasn't as good as those guys either.

The list of 1st year eligibles:
2012 - Bill Parcells, Will Shields.
2013 - Jon Ogden, Michael Strahan, Warren Sapp, Larry Allen, Morten Andersen, John Lynch.
2014 - Derrick Brooks, Marvin Harrison, Zach Thomas, Tony Dungy.
2015 - Junior Seau, Kurt Warner, Walter Jones, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Torry Holt, Kevin Mawae, Ty Law, Edgerrin James.
2016 - Brett Favre, Terrell Owens, Darren Sharper, Alan Faneca.
2017 - Jason Taylor, Brian Dawkins, L.Tomlinson, Hines Ward.
2018 - Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Steve Hutchinson, Ronde Barber.

The current backlog:
Cris Carter*, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Willie Roaf*, Dermontti Dawson*, Cortez Kennedy*, Charles Haley, Chris Doleman*, Kevin Greene, Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin*, Steve Atwater, Aeneas Williams.

* - since elected.

Close to retirement - (some closer than others):
Ray Lewis, Steve Hutchinson, Adam Vinatieri, Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed, Ronde Barber, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson.

By 2016 I would expect Roaf, Dawson, Ogden, Allen, Jones to all be comfortably enshrined. That would leave Shields (I think he gets overtaken by the 5 OL greats mentioned previously), Mawae and Pace as Faneca's OL competition for Canton not to mention Steve Hutchinson further down the line and all the other greats from the other positions. Any talk of 1st ballot for Faneca is extremely optimistic to say the least.