PDA

View Full Version : RaiderNations First 2012 NFL Mock Draft

RaiderNation
05-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Initial Reaction to the 2012 Draft: Might be the exact opposite of this past years draft. Talented QB class with Luck the obvious #1 QB and #1 prospect entering this year. You have 3 stud ILB’s(Burfict, Kuelchy and Te‘o) that should all be 1st round picks, along with some high potential OT’s compared to last years dismal class. The interior oline looks very good with maybe 3 possible first round picks at OG and C. We again have 2 outstanding WR’s(Jeffery and Blackmon) that will likely go top 15 in this draft similar to Green and Jones last year. There is talent on the dline, but not near the elite prospects like the last few drafts. There also isn’t a elite DB in this draft like how PP was last year(Kirkpatrick has the potential, but didn’t show the play PP had presented when he was a sophomore), but I think there are a few guys close to Amukamara talent wise. At RB Richardson is the clear front runner, but there are a few names to keep an eye on to be possible high picks too.

Overall: This is a lot better offensive class than last year all around. On defense this years class has a lot more elite talent at LB, but lacks the top talent on the dline compared to last year.

So onto the mock.....
Round 1

1 Washington Redskins- Andrew Luck QB Stanford*
I am not buying any of the QB’s they currently have on the roster, and I doubt they try to trade route again. Luck is by far my #1 prospect coming into this draft and will be a franchise QB for a long time in the NFL.

2 Carolina Panthers- Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina*
I predict Newton will have a solid rookie season when he hit’s the field, but that offence is really lacking talent. I like Jeffery more than AJ Green and he should be a pro bowl type WR in the NFL.

3 Cincinnati Bengals- Trent Richardson RB Alabama*
Palmer is 99% gone IMO, and this team will struggle with Dalton in his first year under center. The running game has gotten worse and adding an elite talent like Richardson, who is the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson, would be ideal.

4 Seattle Seahawks- Matt Barkley QB USC*
Even if Hasselbeck is brought back I just don’t see this team being as good as last year. They had a bad draft last year so hopefully Carroll adds his talented QB who he recruited to USC while he was still there to build for the future.

5 San Francisco 49ers- Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama*
It was believed if PP fell, the 49ers would undoubtedly select him to replace the aging Nate Clements. Kirkpatrick has similar measurable to PP, and if he continues to improve his play he could be picked this high.(Would not be surprised they try to trade a bunch of picks to try and land Luck if they pick this high)

6 Denver Broncos- Jared Crick DT Nebraska
The Broncos failed to address DT in the draft, and will most likely struggle against the run again this year. Crick is a super productive prospect who is effective against the run and pass, even with Suh not playing next to him.

7 Miami Dolphins- Landry Jones QB Oklahoma*
I was really surprised Mallett wasn’t drafted by the Dolphins, and I predict they struggle on offence once again with no starting QB. A new head coach will want his QB, and Jones has all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL.

8 Minnesota Vikings- Matt Kalil OT USC*
Ponder will have some growing pains even though he does join a playoff caliber team. Kalil’s teammate Tyron Smith was a top 10 pick and he played RT while at USC, which shows you how talented Kalil is.

9 Arizona Cardinals- Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State*
No QB here since either Kolb or McNabb will likely be added, so they go defense here since they struggled without Dansby leading the team at ILB. Burfict is a local star who would immediately give this team a Pro Bowl caliber ILB to revamp the defense.

10 Buffalo Bills- Jonathan Martin OT Stanford*
The Bills are a team on the rise, and need to add just a few impact players at key positions to be able to contend. Martin is a franchise type LT, who has enabled Luck to succeed while at Stanford, and will replace Bell.

11 Cleveland Browns- Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State*
I really thought the Browns would add Julio Jones, but instead added a bunch of draft picks to keep adding depth around the team. Blackmon would finally give McCoy a legit #1 target to throw too.

12 Jacksonville Jaguars- Quinton Coples DE UNC
Most every mock had the Jaguars taking a DE, but instead they drafted their future QB in Gabbert. So once again I have them addressing DE with Coples, who reminds me of Da’Quan Bowers and projects as a LDE in the NFL.

13 Tennessee Titans- Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State*
The Titans defense hasn’t been on the same level of play since Haynesworth left, and I expect them to try to add his replacement. Worthy doesn’t have outstanding stats yet since he is constantly double teamed, but you can tell he is talented when you watch the tape.

14 Oakland Raiders- Kenny Tate DB Maryland
Michael Huff might be gone and you know Al Davis will love Tate’s triangle numbers. Tate could see a fall similar to what happened to Taylor Mays, but Al has never been afraid to draft his guys earlier than they should go.

15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
Aqib Talib’s future in the NFL is in question, and Ronde Barber is getting older. Dennard was impressive oppsoite of Amukamara, and should be a 1st round pick if he continues to play well.

16 Kansas City Chiefs- Luke Kuechly LB Boston College*
This pick just seems like a match in heaven and would be ideal situation for both sides. Kuelchy is nice value here, and would replace Belcher at ILB and keep improving their 3-4 defense.

17 Chicago Bears- Marcus Forston DT Miami*
One of the most important positions in a Tampa 2 is a impact DT, and with Tommie Harris finally gone they should look for one. Forston is a high potential guy who should put up good numbers this year at Miami.

18 Dallas Cowboys- Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina*
The Cowboys failed to add a starting caliber CB in the draft, and if they don’t add one in F/A, I expect them to be looking for one in next years draft. Gilmore is an upcoming prospect that has the physical tools and SEC experience to make it in the NFL.

19 New York Jets- Vinny Curry OLB Marshall
There is always a few playoff team that doesn’t make it the next year, and I predict the Jets are going to struggle some at times this upcoming year. They don’t have a dynamic pass rusher on this team, so Curry makes a lot of sense here.

20 Detroit Lions- Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State
It is all going to be on Stafford’s shoulders, because in my mind they have added enough talent to contend in the NFC North. One area that will eventually need to be address is adding a franchise type LT to protect Stafford, and Osemele is the top Senior OT.

21 Indianapolis Colts- Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma
Peyton Manning is able to get his team to the playoffs once again, but doesn’t get far since he doesn’t have a lot of talent around him. Instead of him making his WR’s look good, they add a guy like Broyles who can make Peyton better with his all around skills.

22 St. Louis Rams- Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
The Rams added a few WR’s in the 2011 draft, but they still lack a go to #1 WR for Bradford. Floyd has had off the field problems, but there is no doubt he is one of the most talented prospects in this draft.

23 Houston Texans- Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington
I am predicting the Texans finally are able to put together a respectable defense to go along with their good offence to finally make the playoffs. They still don’t have a 3-4 NT on the roster though, and right now Ta’amu is the #1 NT heading into this year.

24 Philadelphia Eagles- Cliff Harris CB Oregon*
It is likely the Eagles do add a CB at some point in F/A, but as of now CB still hasn’t been addressed so I am going with it here. Cliff Harris shined last year for Oregon, and brings a playmaker in the secondary and return game.

25 San Diego Chargers- Greg Childs WR Arkansas
Vincent Jackson will likely only be a Charger for one more season, so Rivers is going to need a new big target. Childs fit’s the mold with his good size and SEC experience to be able to be a playmaker in the NFL.

26 New York Giants- Manti Te’o LB Notre Dame*
The Giants defense has been steady but one of the major issues they still have is at ILB. Te’o is a tackling machine with great value here, and will fill the hole at ILB when Antonio Pierce retired.

27 Pittsburgh Steelers- Riley Reiff OT Iowa
I really liked the Steelers draft and I am predicting they once again are serious contenders in the AFC North. They still don’t have a elite LT to protect Big Ben, and Reiff could be that at coming out of Iowa.

28 New England Patriots(f/NO)- Mike Martin DL Michigan
The Patriots failed to address 2 major needs on defense in the front 7 in the 2011 draft, and I expect them to look at a pass rusher and 3-4 DE with their early picks. Martin is a beast who is as strong as they come and fits in the 3-4 perfectly IMO.

29 New England Patriots- Donte Paige-Moss DE/OLB UNC*
So with a 3-4 DE out of the way, I expect the Patriots to draft a pass rusher to give this defense a boost against the pass happy offenses in the NFL. Paige-Moss has the size Belichick usually looks for in a 3-4 OLB, and should improve on a nice sophomore year.

30 Green Bay Packers- Courtney Upshaw LB Alabama
The Packers defense is very explosive, just like their offence, and I won’t be surprised if they are serious contenders after last years Super Bowl win. One area they didn’t address is a OLB opposite of Clay Matthews, and Upshaw has 3-4 experience and versatility to make him a great pick here.

31 Baltimore Ravens- Cordy Glenn OL Georgia
Gaither is likely done as a Raven, and I expect the Ravens to try and add a starting caliber RT/RG depending on what they do with Yanda. Glenn profiles to fit at both positions, and should give immediate help to the offence.

32 Cleveland Browns(f/ATL)- David DeCastro OL Stanford*
Cleveland could go defense here, but adding another Pro Bowl caliber olinemen could be the best move. DeCastro could be a RT or OG in the NFL, and has shown his ability to protect the QB, allowing Luck to have all the time to throw for Stanford.

K Train
05-13-2011, 12:58 PM
for the steelers id prefer Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, Cordy Glenn, mike brewster, or Jayron Hosley

RaiderNation
05-13-2011, 01:05 PM
for the steelers id prefer Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, Cordy Glenn, mike brewster, or Jayron Hosley

You guys just took 2 CB's in the first 4 rounds this past draft. I think it is about time you guys get some elite protection for Big Ben

K Train
05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
cortez allen doesnt count. he might not even make the team unless he can play ST exceptionally well and then that would be his job.

Curtis brown is a guy i love, but ike is old, *** is likely leaving this year, mcfadden is solid but unspectacular and always hurt, keenan lewis is probably gonna get cut, and i love crezdon butler but hes unproven and may actually play FS. corner is still a big time need just like DE was after they drafted hood and rashon harris in the same draft. now heyward made DE one o fthe last needs on the team, and ideally dennard would make CB the same kind of minor concern.

Gilbert is likely the future at LT, and starks is a good player for now. the lack of protection the last few years has been from justin hartwig, darnell stapleton, and trai essex being blasted through on the interior. Pouncey and glenn/brewster would go a long way towards fixing that. interesitng fact: Justin hartwig did not play last year and he still leads the league in sacks given up for an interior lineman over the last 3 years

and i would hardly call reiff elite protection...and in reality it doesnt matter how good they are blocking for ben, hes still gonna hold the ball too long and roll out all the time

vidae
05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Decent KC pick.

Razor
05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Love DPM to the Patriots... Mike Martin? Not so much... I like Martin just as much as the next guy, but there's just no way he's a 5-tech in the NFL. He's a 4-3 UT only imo. How many 6'2" 299 lbs DEs do the Patriots have? Zero, zip, nada, kein. I don't see him as a fit in NE what so ever. I'd love to adress DE in the first next year though, just not Mike Martin... Or Jared Crick... David DeCastro would be a sexy pick there instead.

thebow305
05-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Great pick for Miami!

OSUGiants17
05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Te'o and a decent playoff run, I'll take it.

shylo3716
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
No Ray Ray Armstrong???????

prock
05-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Love LT for the Vikings. Martin, Kalil, whomever is gonna be the top tackle prospect I would love. Burfict would be neat too, not out of value, just out of shear ungodliness.

SimonRath
05-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Love where the falcons pick is :)

Pat Sims 90
05-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Richardson would be awesome in Cincy.

coordinator0
05-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Glenn would be great value at that spot but it all depends on how Jah Reid performs next season. I don't think Gaither is going to play another snap for Baltimore and Reid is the top choice for RT since the team wants Yanda back at RG. Cousins could compete for the RT spot as well.

roscoesdad27
05-16-2011, 07:04 AM
Don't like the ravens pick, Reid should do fine at r.t. and Yanda is a much better guard than tackle. If we go o.l. it should be a center like Brewster or Konz but I would go f.s. to replace Reed who doesn't have much left. I really like Robert Lester from Alabama.

coordinator0
05-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Don't like the ravens pick, Reid should do fine at r.t. and Yanda is a much better guard than tackle. If we go o.l. it should be a center like Brewster or Konz but I would go f.s. to replace Reed who doesn't have much left. I really like Robert Lester from Alabama.

Based on what? We're going to need a replacement for Reed at some point but he still has a good 2-3 years left.

roscoesdad27
05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Based on what? We're going to need a replacement for Reed at some point but he still has a good 2-3 years left.

Id say 1-2 years, that neck injury is serious.

coordinator0
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Id say 1-2 years, that neck injury is serious.

Which didn't affect him last season after he was ready to go. It's a concern but with his style of play he should be fine. I'd rather not take a safety in the first round if he's going to sit a year or two.

TACKLE
05-16-2011, 09:24 PM
They moved up in the 3rd to draft Jah Reid who they are really counting on to be their RT of the future which would kick Yanda back inside. If things go as planned, and going to the Super Bowl would indicate that, that just isn't a position need for us. If you wanted to go O-Line, we really need a young center and I think is a better player than Mike Pouncey was and possibly even DeCastro if they felt he could make the move from RG inside to C.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
05-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Cowboys and Texans picks are nice!!!!

This is a really good mock considering its a year away.

rawdawg
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Bears drafted Paea. If they don't feel he's enough, or feel he's a NT, I think they'll make a move this offseason (if it ever happens) for a DT. Brandon Mebane or Cullen Jenkins have been rumored names the Bears are interested in.

rawdawg
05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Unless the Bears are picking in Justin Blackmon territory, I'd hope they go Osemele or Brewster.

BaLLiN
05-18-2011, 09:47 AM
like the giants pick, if only burfict fell :(

FlyingElvis
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Love DPM to the Patriots... Mike Martin? Not so much... I like Martin just as much as the next guy, but there's just no way he's a 5-tech in the NFL. He's a 4-3 UT only imo. How many 6'2" 299 lbs DEs do the Patriots have? Zero, zip, nada, kein. I don't see him as a fit in NE what so ever. I'd love to adress DE in the first next year though, just not Mike Martin... Or Jared Crick... David DeCastro would be a sexy pick there instead.

6'2 is probably generous, too. Several sites down and none have him listed more than 6'1