PDA

View Full Version : Gray hair...

49ersfan_87
05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
So i'm currently 23 and have had some gray hairs for a few years now, but never really noticing it. But during my last haircut my barber was commenting on how many gray hairs i had, and after looking at my hair closely i realized i do have a few noticeable gray hairs now. I'm assuming some of it is because i've stressed a lot in the past about school and some family issues, but it could also be due to genetics. My mom has had gray hair since her early 40's and has to color her hair black every week. Of course, it could be worse- at least i'm not balding like a few people i know at my age (at least, not yet...)

Anyone here have gray hair? If so, at what age did your hair color start to change?

Hurricanes25
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
I knew somebody who had grey hair when he was 16. He said it was genetics.

fenikz
05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
ive had grey/colorless hairs since birth, just like 5 of them on the front left part of my head, but ill never go bald

CashmoneyDrew
05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Nah. My hair's weird though. Brown throughout most of the year but June through August it goes blonde.

My dad started getting his gray hairs towards his late 30s so that's when I assume I'll get mine.

RaiderNation
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
No gray hair here yet(only 18), but I have light brown hair and for some reason have 2 blonde area's on the front part of my hair.

killxswitch
05-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I've had silver (not gray or white) since I was in my early 20s. I'm 27 now and it hasn't progressed much.

I would rather go bald (as long as its from the front) than go gray/silver/white.

CashmoneyDrew
05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Why would you rather go bald?

CJSchneider
05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
OK, first off, I feel as if this thread is a personal, secret attack.

Secondly, I have started to get a few silver hairs on top and in my beard.

The_Dude
05-13-2011, 09:06 PM
At 33, i have 1 grey hair on my head, a couple in my goatee, and none in my pubes.

And grey or gray.... which one is it?

General Zod
05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Its silver damn it, not grey. lol

Raiderz4Life
05-13-2011, 11:10 PM
I got a few white hairs...been having em since 8th/9th grade. Not many but the number is slowly going up. My dad and grandpa have that george clooney 50/50 deal going on so i prolly will too.

Mr.Regular
05-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Alopecia runs genetically in my family, and when I had a really stressful family issue 3 years back I got a big patch of it on the side of my face. I'm only assuming thats what triggered it. No beards for me now. What was weird was I also lost pigment in the exact same patch and also a spot on the back of my head so now I have a white patch too there.

So, if getting gray hairs is an auto-immune type deal, then yeah I'm assuming stress can trigger it too. I've been told alopecia can stop and grow back in rare cases, and the best way to get that to occur is to remain stress free. I don't know why I felt the need to share it. Just be thankful you still have your hair I guess! I have a family member who lost every hair on their body. Sucks.

descendency
05-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I knew a guy in college (guy was 22) with a full head of grey hair. It wasn't dye. Not sure what causes that, though.

StickSkills
05-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Nah. My hair's weird though. Brown throughout most of the year but June through August it goes blonde.

it's not that weird. If you go to the pool during the summer and if you combine that with a higher amount of sun exposure, it happens. Why do you think swimmers especially are really blonde?

It's something to do with how chlorine and the sun react with your hair.

Nandoss
05-14-2011, 06:27 AM
I used to know a guy at high school whose nickname was grandpa because he had a full head of white hair. He used to color it, but it was noticeable. I'm not sure if it was genetic or if he suffered a deep traumatizing experience, which can produce the same effect.

Anyway it's probably stress. Unless you have some sort of genetic disorder. Getting gray hair by 40 is normal so it's probably not inherited.

And as far as balding goes when it's inherited instead of age and\or stress it starts in the mid to early twenties.

jrdrylie
05-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I'd much rather go grey than go bald. I mean, which looks cooler

http://www.whiskeyforbreakfast.com/pics/post54/DocBrown.jpg

or this

http://www.workplacewellbeing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/GeorgeCostanzaNaked.jpg

BuckeyeDan17
05-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I have two or three occasionally, doesn't bother me much. I'm too busy trying to determine whether or not my hairline is receding. Can't tell.

killxswitch
05-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Why would you rather go bald?

At my age (27) a full head of gray or silver hair would just look stupid, especially on me. I would rather start going bald from the front, buzz it short, and deal with it that way. I wouldn't want a completely bald head though. If my options were full head of gray hair and completely bald I don't know which I'd pick.

The_Dude
05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Actually, in middle & high school i always wanted to dye my hair gray, but i was never motivated enough to actually do it.

CJSchneider
05-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Maybe you were adopted and they just never told you.

Babylon
05-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Totally gray but keep it spiked so got the commando look going, not scaring anyone anymore that's for sure.

I had dark brown hair till i started having kids in the 80s then it was downhill from there. Could be worse, my dad was pretty much bald even in his WW2 pictures.

nepg
05-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't have any, but I certainly wouldn't get it colored if I did.

I had a friend who had gray hair when he was 9. It was pretty funny. He was probably one of those people who's a complete silver by age 29.

Bosanac01
05-16-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't have any gray hair. My dad is over 50 and he has a few that are barely noticeable so I think I'm good.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-16-2011, 07:49 AM
So i'm currently 23 and have had some gray hairs for a few years now, but never really noticing it. But during my last haircut my barber was commenting on how many gray hairs i had, and after looking at my hair closely i realized i do have a few noticeable gray hairs now. I'm assuming some of it is because i've stressed a lot in the past about school and some family issues, but it could also be due to genetics. My mom has had gray hair since her early 40's and has to color her hair black every week. Of course, it could be worse- at least i'm not balding like a few people i know at my age (at least, not yet...)

Anyone here have gray hair? If so, at what age did your hair color start to change?

I am 29 and I notice that many of my friends are losing or getting thinning hair rather than grey hair. It's really apparent when we look at pictures from college and than compare it to now. But I notice hair loss and thinning more as an issue with friends than grey hair.

I am lucky that I don't have either issue, however, I do have like silver or white hair in my gotee area. So If I do not shave for a week or so, or try to grow a facial hair near or around my chin, then it's very noticable. However, there is no grey hair on my head.

But it's genetic, and also stress level I guess of your life.

fischbowl
05-16-2011, 01:35 PM
All my pubes are grey. All my other hairs though, a strange hue of brown

CJSchneider
05-16-2011, 08:34 PM
All my pubes are grey. All my other hairs though, a strange hue of brown

PICS or GTFO

Bills2083
05-18-2011, 08:48 AM
I still don't have any grey hair, but my grandpa had a full head of white hair at 19. Yes, 19.

BaLLiN
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
do you have any birthmarks? ive heard that the pigment can be lost because of this. Anyway, there are plenty of products out there to help this, and i have kids in my school that are going gray already (im in hs)

FlyingElvis
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
a few in my goatee but none noticed on top . . . yet.

rather go bald than gray? dye is easier & cheaper than replacing. **** balding.

also, it's gray in the US; grey just about anywhere else.

killxswitch
05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
a few in my goatee but none noticed on top . . . yet.

rather go bald than gray? dye is easier & cheaper than replacing. **** balding.

also, it's gray in the US; grey just about anywhere else.

I wouldn't dye it. I dyed my hair black one time when I was going through a phase and it was a pain in the ass. Plus I have a beard (which at the time I also dyed and that was worse).

I also wouldn't worry about replacing my hair. Just buzz it down and deal with it.