PDA

View Full Version : Greg Reid - Best CB/KR/PR Prospect of the 2012 Draft?

JBCX
05-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Who else thinks that Greg Reid of FSU has the chance to be the #1 CB taken in next year's draft? He's tiny (5'8") but he is simply a huge playmaker and a big-time hitter. He also has elite return skills a la DeSean Jackson or Devin Hester.

Check out some of his highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnxeaexrMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEj36Que4Y

Watch him lay this gigantic hit on Marcus Lattimore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNUzLsr1Uw&feature=related

I watched him play in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl last year and he was ALL OVER THE FIELD. That is where the above hit occurred, also. It's probably the biggest hit I saw in college football all of last year.

This kid reminds me of Bob Sanders, if Bob Sanders had ball skills and Devin Hester-like return ability.

I'm really looking forward to watching what he can do for FSU next year.

MassNole
05-13-2011, 05:07 PM
His size will drop him in the NFL Draft, he's 5'8 on a good day. His saving grace is his ball skills and hitting ability. Not often you find a 5'8, 190 lb DB who hits like a 240 lb LB. Actually he isn't even the best CB prospect on the FSU roster, RS-Sophomore Xavier Rhodes could very well be a Top 15 pick come next April.

JBCX
05-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Bob Sanders was 5'8" and he was an amazing NFL player, when healthy.

I can understand concerns about size, but the kid is a flat-out baller.

MassNole
05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree and if you watch his film he's learned to use his body to more than make up for any lack of height. The control Greg Reid has over his body is like nothing I have ever seen in Tallahassee. I already feel sorry for the first NFL RB who thinks he'll just run Reid over, said RB will likely be heading back to the sidelines with a broken jaw.

Hurricanes25
05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
His size is a major concern. With that being said, he is a great returner and he'll be able to contribute on the other aspects of special teams.

CashmoneyDrew
05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Zero chance to be the first corner taken. I'd be surprised if he's the 5th corner taken.

JBCX
05-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Here's a video of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl vs. South Carolina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu49udfS1iw

Notice how many big plays Reid is directly involved in:

- He annihilates Marcus Lattimore with a bone-crushing, but completely clean, hit @ 00:36

- He has a great punt return @ 02:36

- He breaks up a pass over the middle @ 04:29

- He strips Alshon Jeffery of the football @ 05:30

- He breaks up another pass to Jeffery @ 06:20

- He almost has a pick-6 but it turns into just a nice PBU @ 6:49

- He has another nice punt return @ 06:57

- He has the game-clinching PBU @ 08:38

And that's all in one game, on the big stage, against a really good offense.

JBCX
05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Zero chance to be the first corner taken. I'd be surprised if he's the 5th corner taken.

Name 4 corners better than Reid in this year's class.

CashmoneyDrew
05-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Dre Kirkpatrick, Alfonzo Dennard, Janoris Jenkins, Stephon Gilmore, Chase Minnifield. Hell I'd even put Cliff Harris as a possibility to go before him. If Omar Bolden were healthy I'd put him over Reid. Dequan Menzie is another corner that could breakout this season and leave for the pros early.

shylo3716
05-13-2011, 06:05 PM
He is a Antoine Winfield with return ability

Ozzy
05-13-2011, 06:26 PM
If you are talking all around including return ability he is up there. But straight up corner ability, clearly his toughness is a little concern, sure Bob Sanders was small but Bob Sanders was a strong safety for a reason, he could hit and he could tackle. To compare Bob Sanders and Greg Reid just based on height is a little much.

Good prospect though, but hard to take him over Gilmore much less Dennard in some respects. Fine prospect though and great return man, not sure he is Devin Hester like returning the football when Hester was at Miami however.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-13-2011, 06:44 PM
He's hasn't been that good as a pure cover corner -- he gets beat too many times for my liking, but he's a play-maker. He'll come up with a big INT or a big return that changes momentum.

BuddyCHRIST
05-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Great player but his lack of elite measurables will drop him, he doesn't have the greatest straight line speed. As a corner he is a bit of a risk taker so he will hurt you sometimes. Think along the lines of Javier Arenas as a prospect imo.

Won't be a true cover corner but his ability to play in the nickle or on the outside and return ability will make him a valuable player.

As a true corner the other 2 corners are better prospects in Xavier Rhodes and Mike Harris.

Duffman57
05-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Cliff Harris is a better CB, KR and PR than him. He does everything better except is less physical, but not by all that much. If cliff harris weighed even 180 (i've seen him around campus, he's 170 dripping wet, more likely he's 165) he'd be one of the top 3 or 4 CB prospects in the nation. He's physical, but because he's so small, he cant do anything in run support. But there's a solid chance he's the best PR in the nation, and the only reason we dont have him on KR's is so he's fresh for his PR/CB duties.

TitanHope
05-15-2011, 04:24 PM
If I'm running a zone team that's picking middle-to-end end of the 1st RD, and I need a CB, then I'm taking Reid. Loved him coming out of high school, and I love his style of play. While there are some concerns about that physicality, I don't think it's a huge issue at CB like it would be at S, where a small guy like Bob Sanders can't stay healthy. PacMan Jones, his off the field issues aside, was taken 6th overall and he was what? 5'8? But he made up for it with his short area quickness, impressive straight line speed, and leaping ability. He owned Plaxico Burress in the '06 Titans/Giants game, and Plax is 6'5. I think Reid's other traits make up for his short stature as well.

I take him over Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Harris, and maybe even Jenkins. Not by much, but enough to quantify him higher. I don't know enough about Dennard and Minnifield to have an opinion there. Just my opinion and personal preference, though, and I usually think lesser of SEC players than others do.

Complex
05-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I loved Greg Reid since his 1st game against Miami. I like him better than almost every corner besides Gilmore,Jenkins, and Xavier Rhodes.

etk
05-15-2011, 05:19 PM
He's hasn't been that good as a pure cover corner -- he gets beat too many times for my liking, but he's a play-maker. He'll come up with a big INT or a big return that changes momentum.

Finally someone with some sense...Reid isn't even the 3rd best corner on his team - Rhodes and Harris are better, and there are probably FSU backups who would give up less passes than he does.

Just watch the UNC or Oklahoma games to see what I mean. For all the talk of Reid being a playmaker and hitter (which he is), he gets toasted all the time and whiffes on tackles. His coverage technique is poor and he freelances, which is a major problem when you're 5'8".

I see him as a poor man's Tim Jennings at corner in the NFL, although his return ability is intriguing.

BuddyCHRIST
05-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Finally someone with some sense...Reid isn't even the 3rd best corner on his team - Rhodes and Harris are better, and there are probably FSU backups who would give up less passes than he does.

Just watch the UNC or Oklahoma games to see what I mean. For all the talk of Reid being a playmaker and hitter (which he is), he gets toasted all the time and whiffes on tackles. His coverage technique is poor and he freelances, which is a major problem when you're 5'8".

I see him as a poor man's Tim Jennings at corner in the NFL, although his return ability is intriguing.
I get what you were trying to say, but he's definitely atleast the 3rd best corner on FSU. But guys like him you just tend to take the good with the bad. He has definitely had his moments where I've screamed my throat out at him (ones you mentioned) but he's a high character guy and takes everything as a chance to improve. He was playing at a very high level at the end of the year.

Don't forget he'll only be a true junior next year so he still has room to improve, and Mark Stoops is a helluva DB coach so he'll get more consistent.

StaticGator
05-16-2011, 11:24 AM

That's my understanding of him, too.

Big Bird
05-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm happy Samardzija and etk said something, because some people in this thread were getting ridiculous.

A highlight reel makes the guy look great? That's shocking. Go back and take a look at the times he got beaten...

metafour
05-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Reid is a very overrated corner. Great returner, and he's obviously got coverage upside, but he can be beaten because he plays overly aggressive.

Big Bird
05-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Reid is a very overrated corner. Great returner, and he's obviously got coverage upside, but he can be beaten because he plays overly aggressive.
Not even because of that. Go back and watch the UNC-FSU game. Dwight Jones torched him 3 times for big plays, and it's not like he bit on play fakes or a pump fake. Reid just gets himself out of position. Honestly, he looks pretty lost at times.

MassNole
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Or you could watch the SC game where he took Alshon Jeffery to task. He was very up and down last year, but that is to be expected from a true Sophomore, first year starter.

Big Bird
05-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Or you could watch the SC game where he took Alshon Jeffery to task. He was very up and down last year, but that is to be expected from a true Sophomore, first year starter.
You mean the game where they very rarely ever matched up? If you're talking about "took Alshon Jeffery to task" as in, he forced a fumble by Jeffery, then congrats. Too bad it's not a big deal and gave the guy way too much cushion on the play and got lucky in the end.

Reid slipped on one of Jeffery's catches earlier in the game too, and Jeffery made him miss on two of his catches.

They rarely matched up (Jeffrey was featured in the slot a lot this game, or generally had Xavier Rhodes matched up on him), and when they did, Jeffery consistently won the match-up.

the_dark_knight
05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Totally think Big Bird is a massive homer, cause all he does is make excuses. That being said, this kid is a pure talent.

He's not even reached anywhere near his ceiling and he holds a 2nd round value to me as a return man only. His CB skills are fantastic, but to me he's much like a Falcon favorite, Brent Grimes. They both are exceptionally gifted athletes, but have physical limitations that hinder them. Grimes isn't nearly as aggressive as Reid, but they both have that Napoleon thing going on. Reid can tackle though, and he can really hit.

Honestly, if Rhodes comes out this year he'll be my #1 corner, but Reid is going to be #1 on some boards based on their schemes. If you're pure zone and like to let guys make plays, Reid is going to be off the charts, especially since he's going to instantly be a top 5 punt return guy too.

But with guys like Dennard out there too, it's going to be a tough choice to pass a guy like him up for Reid. There would be a lot of ridicule, but I think that if your defense is solid but needs a playmaker Reid is going to come calling.

K Train
05-17-2011, 09:00 AM
every little CB isnt antoine winfield, winfield is built and tackles like a LB, a very small one but when winfield goes in for a tackle more often then not the ball carrier goes down

Big Bird
05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Totally think Big Bird is a massive homer, cause all he does is make excuses. That being said, this kid is a pure talent.

He's not even reached anywhere near his ceiling and he holds a 2nd round value to me as a return man only. His CB skills are fantastic, but to me he's much like a Falcon favorite, Brent Grimes. They both are exceptionally gifted athletes, but have physical limitations that hinder them. Grimes isn't nearly as aggressive as Reid, but they both have that Napoleon thing going on. Reid can tackle though, and he can really hit.

Honestly, if Rhodes comes out this year he'll be my #1 corner, but Reid is going to be #1 on some boards based on their schemes. If you're pure zone and like to let guys make plays, Reid is going to be off the charts, especially since he's going to instantly be a top 5 punt return guy too.

But with guys like Dennard out there too, it's going to be a tough choice to pass a guy like him up for Reid. There would be a lot of ridicule, but I think that if your defense is solid but needs a playmaker Reid is going to come calling.
What are you talking about? I'm not trying to defend Reid whatsoever, I was trying to show why he isn't a 1st Rounder. Where are these excuses?

And, I'm not even close to an FSU fan.

MassNole
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
every little CB isnt antoine winfield, winfield is built and tackles like a LB, a very small one but when winfield goes in for a tackle more often then not the ball carrier goes down

Have you seen Reid hit someone? He is small but is like a plastic explosive with the damage he can do.

BaLLiN
05-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Cover 2 corner? I know he's not on Asante's level, or even close, but with the payoff he creates i would wonder if he could be used in a similar way where coverage is rolled toward his side and he is allowed to freelance a bit.

the_dark_knight
05-18-2011, 09:40 AM
What are you talking about? I'm not trying to defend Reid whatsoever, I was trying to show why he isn't a 1st Rounder. Where are these excuses?

And, I'm not even close to an FSU fan.

Exactly, you're such a massive homer you can't see straight to look at a prospect.

Big Bird
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Exactly, you're such a massive homer you can't see straight to look at a prospect.
Are you high?