PDA

View Full Version : Worst team this season?

J-Mike88
05-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Based on some 2012 mock drafts, this is what I see for the top ten picks usually, so tell me of these teams (and all the league), which team will have the worst record in 2011 (assuming there is a damn season).

I won't put "other" because the worst surely has to come from this list (and I want 10 listed, not 9)
But feel free to add your own if you believe the worst is someone else.

Bengalsrocket
05-14-2011, 09:36 PM
With the information we have right now, I think Carolina is in the worst position. Obviously injuries and everything will change all that as time goes on.

I don't think Arizona, Cincinnati or Jacksonville are particularly strong either.

J-Mike88
05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Let's not let this thread turn into a hate thread, just make your case. Someone has to pick first next year. Who and why?

I got my eye on Cinci depending on that QB situation.
The Vikings QB situation bears watching too, same with Arizona.
But Adrian Peterson & Larry Fitzgerald!

What this reminds me is that things change very damn fast in today's NFL.
Those teams, just the season before last, were basically Super Bowl contenders.

Also, my Packers lost to both Miami and Washington last season, and Miami was in Green Bay. Still scratching my head. And Cinci went into GB the year before and beat us.

Woody56
05-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Got a feeling Seattle is going to be really bad next season

J-Mike88
05-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Got a feeling Seattle is going to be really bad next season
They were in some people's top ten picks in mocks, but I felt like because they actually won that division, and beat the champion Saints, that they didn't deserve to be listed among the 10.

But they could be real bad depending on that QB situation, true.

RCAChainGang
05-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Feeling Washington will struggle.

Bills2083
05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Have a feeling that it will be either Carolina/Cincy. I went with the Panthers since they're going to have an all-new system, head coach, and QB.

I'd like to hear why umphrey picked the Bills, though

General Zod
05-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Probably could have thrown SF on that list too.

Kinda hard to tell until we see what some teams do in FA to get a QB if needed. I went with Cincy just because Im not sure why Marvin Lewis is still there, they'll probably be starting a rookie QB in a very tough division.

But you could really make a case for a lot of those teams.

dj825
05-14-2011, 11:53 PM
I picked the Bills over Carolina and Washington because I think Carolinas defense is going to to be better this year since they will hopefully have more help on offense, they did well enough last year but having to be on the field all the time killed them.

Washington always seems to pull out just enough wins to keep them from picking first and although i think they could be the worst team in the NFL this year they wont pick first.

Buffalo always seems to be around that spot no matter what and with them having a scheme change on defense and not really having the proper players to run the 3-4 doesnt help. Also if it turns out that Ryan Fitzpatrick doesnt turn out to be as good as he played last season than they're definitely picking first.

All in all i think Seattle will be picking first Because they basically outplayed their talent level last year and are gonna struggle because of it this year. But of the teams listed im taking the Bills.

falloutboy14
05-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I went with Carolina. I see 3 winnable games on their schedule with Minnesota, Washington, & Arizona, maybe Tennessee. With the rest of the NFC south being strong, and then the AFC South & NFC North, there's not very many bad teams on their schedule.

Plus the thought of watching them try to figure out what to do if they pick first would be entertaining.

umphrey
05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Have a feeling that it will be either Carolina/Cincy. I went with the Panthers since they're going to have an all-new system, head coach, and QB.

I'd like to hear why umphrey picked the Bills, though

You asked so I will answer

I picked out these teams that had the lowest talent:

Carolina: They look pretty terrible but the defense has some things going for them, decent linebackers and an average secondary. Newton will be a spectacular bust but you take a running quarterback and a decent OL and he'll beat a few defenses even though his offense looks like a crap college system.

Washington: I have no faith in that offense and they don't have a quarterback at all...probably my #2 pick, but at least they have an experienced coach (who isn't very good) and I've always been a big fan of Orakpo, Landry. They have such a veteran, free agent philosophy that they might be at the bottom most of the time but probably not the worst (hardest to defend I think).

Denver: Don't think Miller will help them at all this year and I don't like Tebow at all either but they will probably have a decent passing offense overall which will pull them to a few wins.

Arizona: Except for Fitz their offense is terrible but I like their secondary so that will probably be able to shut down a few 1 dimensional teams and lead to a few wins.

and...

Buffalo: No quarterback or passing offense. Sure there is a little bit of a running game there but not enough of an offense to beat most defenses. Defensively, I love their DL, I really do, but I don't see it translating to any wins next year. They can put some hiccups in opposing running games but I don't see it limiting an offense much more than say 21 points instead of 35. If they're playing with a lead or second to a strong offense I would feel pretty good about them, but that won't happen much. The secondary has some decent young players but they all look like guys that you add them to an established defense they will produce, but asking them to stand alone as a unit without more established veterans and the bottom falls out. Sorry about being so negative...

FUNBUNCHER
05-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I kind of hope the SKins end up with the worst record among this group, the only downside is it really sucks to watch your home team play losing football for 16 games.

Hard to really guess which of these teams will likely have the worst record without knowing each one's schedule.

I think we're going to see several of these teams, including Seattle, make some really strange decisions at QB, as in starting marginal players that really don't give their teams a competitive chance to win in 2011.

Already in Washington Shanny is chirping about giving the starting gig to John Beck, even though McNabb in his second year playing in Kyle's offense should nearly double his TD output.

IMO many of these teams have excellent talent in their starting 22.

Whisenhunt I think is never going to have his QB situation resolved this season and will unintentionally sabotage the Cards this year. I could see him going 4-12, getting fired, losing Larry Fitz and Cowher being selected as his replacement.

Andrew Luck won't be taken by Carolina, but he would be the #1 overall for the rest of these teams and would turn them into playoff contenders for the next 12 years.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Gotta go with Washington. They really just have so little talent. Looking at their roster it is just ugly.

princefielder28
05-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Cincinnati

Unless they make a splash in free agency they won't have a pass rush, their offensive line is shaky at best, and Andy Dalton will be their quarterback (gonna be a disaster)

Bills2083
05-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Buffalo: No quarterback or passing offense. Sure there is a little bit of a running game there but not enough of an offense to beat most defenses. Defensively, I love their DL, I really do, but I don't see it translating to any wins next year. They can put some hiccups in opposing running games but I don't see it limiting an offense much more than say 21 points instead of 35. If they're playing with a lead or second to a strong offense I would feel pretty good about them, but that won't happen much. The secondary has some decent young players but they all look like guys that you add them to an established defense they will produce, but asking them to stand alone as a unit without more established veterans and the bottom falls out. Sorry about being so negative...

Don't worry about the negativity - Bills fans should be used to it by now.
But to say we have no quarterback/passing offense is a bit of a stretch. Yes, Fitzpatrick is never going to go out there and win us any games, but he will keep us is many of them. It was our defense that killed us last year - not the offense. 3000 yards and 23 TDs over 13 games is not that bad.. it equates to 231 ypg. Yes, he threw some terrible passes, but he also threw some ones that not many would dare or complete. Our offensive line last season was atrocious, as the only one to start all 16 games was Levitre (I think). We had a revolving door at RT and our starting LT (Bell) started the season injured and only got back to normal by week 16/17. CJ Spiller, our 1st overall pick last year, never really got a chance to show what he can do, due to a lack of blocking, and just getting bad playcalls.

It may sound like I'm making excuses for the team, but I'm just trying to show that the team is not as bad as their 4-12 record indicates. They lost to Baltimore 37-34, Chicago 22-19, Kansas City 13-10, Detroit 14-12, Pittsburgh 19-16. Losing some, but not all, of those games is acceptable, due to the fact that we had a new QB, head coach, and system. As well as a new defensive scheme, filled with players that didn't fit.

Maybe it's the homerism in me, but I really don't see the Bills being the worst team in the league.

Mr.Regular
05-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Washington. That roster is awful. Holes everywhere, and the worst QB situation in the league.... John Beck and Rex Grossman?! Really?

OSUGiants17
05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Bottom 5 from 32-28:
1. Redskins
2. Bengals
3. Broncos
4. Cardinals
5. Vikings

Orakpowned
05-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Redskins will likely sign Vince Young and their free agency plans include two starters on the O-line. Rex Grossman likely won't be back and no way McNabb is back. If you really believe that Shanahan is going to start Beck, I'd have to question how gullible you really are.

Thecollegedropout
05-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Maybe it's the homerism in me, but I really don't see the Bills being the worst team in the league.
You guys are stuck in a division with 2 of the top AFC teams of last year and a team that finished 8-8 in Miami though which essentially means your set to go at best 1-5 in division play.....

Add playing the NFC East(Give you winning over WSH, dont know about beating NYG, DAL or PHI), Cincy(Will give you that W even though that's a road game), Tenn(Toss up but I will give BUF the benefit here) and the AFC West(Tough division....can see you defeating DEN and go 1-3...Oakland is a toss up.)

Add that together and its a 4-12/5-11 season and a shot at the 1st overall pick. Doesn't mean your team stinks, just the schedule(Which can certainly change as teams stink/exceed) is really daunting.

keylime_5
05-15-2011, 12:28 PM
i voted washington b/c their starter is John Beck. Until they add a real QB and sign another O-Lineman or two that's what I'm sticking with. But really I don't see them finishing with the top pick at all. Good talent on defense and they'll probably bring in a veteran QB who is legit like Young or Hasselbeck or whoever.

Buffalo is the team everyone picks every year but never finishes as bad because they play people tough despite not having a flashy QB or defense. Fitzpatrick isn't bad, Buffalo can move the ball and they should be able to run it better. They got better on defense too after the draft.

Carolina probably is the worst situation right now, but how often do teams get the #1 pick 2 years in a row?

etk
05-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Carolina plays in arguably the toughest division, is poised to lose one of their most valuable players (Smith), and will likely throw Newton to the wolves as a rookie.

Washington and Arizona also have the make-ups of awful teams. Washington just has a bad QB situation and Arizona is pretty bad all around.

Oh yeah, and Cincinnati. They've taken a big step backwards.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-15-2011, 06:10 PM
denver. because i'm a massive pessimist and because it'll be funny to watch a team pass on luck because they have tebow.

No chance Denver would pass on Luck. The current FO in Denver already seems down on him.

J-Mike88
05-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Gotta go with Washington. They really just have so little talent. Looking at their roster it is just ugly.
But they can still buy a few high-priced free agents.... sometime.... maybe.
Also, they have the genius Mike Shanahan..... they should be nowhere near the worst team.

BuddyCHRIST
05-15-2011, 10:48 PM
I went with Washington, mainly because its usually someone that coming in you wouldn't think would be quite that horrible. Shannahan basically burned through all the good will I had for him last year, they don't have a QB and their owner seems set on stocking them with me first type players. If they start slow I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys quit.

bucfan12
05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Tenessee. I seriously think that they won't find a vet QB quality to produce and Locker isnt going to be ready. Carolina is another candidate with the toughest schedule in the NFL and honestly, really had a poor draft for picking 1 overall .

TitanHope
05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Tenessee.

If Kerry Collins, for whatever reason, comes back for one last season to start while Locker sits, then this is a mortal lock.

Halsey
05-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Why would Denver pass on Luck if they were the worst team in the league? The only scenario that seems likely is another team offering Denver a major trade package.

killxswitch
05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Too early to tell but I picked Miami because I think without Parcells the Dolphins are completely without direction. They have a HC and starting QB that they obviously don't want but no good options to replace them. Their draft this year was completely unimpressive, their RBs are aging, injury-prone, or unproven. They have some decent pieces on defense and the OL and have two quality WRs. They play in a division with two of the top AFC teams, and I think the Bills will be improved this year.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I can see the vikings being really bad this year. They have an inconsistent offensive line, missing the williams wall, and having ponder/t-jax or even Mcnabb i don't see them getting it done in a beefed up NFC North.

AntoinCD
05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
I think the favourtie has to be Carolina as of now. Im not sure how much better Newton makes them striaght away and they didnt add much other talent.

K Train
05-16-2011, 09:35 AM
i think bengals will be terrible and the dalton experiement will end with andrew luck...similar to clausen with newton

fear the elf
05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
i think bengals will be terrible and the dalton experiement will end with andrew luck...similar to clausen with newton

I actually think they will be better than most think just by clearing out some of the personalities from that locker room. They have capable receivers and if they can get Cedric Benson going early in the year, they could be OK. We've seen that their defense has the potential to play really well.

Of course, I can see your scenario happening just as easily, lol.

TACKLE
05-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think Carolina is as bad as some are making them out to be. They are decently talented across the board but mainly had the struggles they did because of injuries/the worst QB play in the NFL.

I disagree with those who say Arizona. Almost all of the key players had one of their worst seasons individually. Dockett, Fitz, ADub, Calais, DRC, etc. If they can get some decent play at the QB position from maybe a Bulger or a Kolb, they might be my pick to win the NFC West.

In the end I'd probably Washington as it stands right now. It seems as if they may be content to go into the season with John Beck as their starter. John Beck is in a heated race with Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn and Todd Collins for title of worst quarterback in the NFL. I can't imagine a worse situation at quarterback than John Beck and Rex Grossman. It also doesn't help that their overall talent level is weak to begin with.

fear the elf
05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Shane picked Cleveland?! You better f***ing explain yourself! lol

btw, I picked Minnesota because their QB situation is pretty suspect at this point, the defense is not as formidable as in years past and like Bob said, their OL always seems like it's underperforming.

Also, the obvious choices never seem to end up being right.

BloodBrother
05-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Wanted to say Carolina but then realized how bad WAshington's situation is right now. Can't help but figure taht Danny Snyder will add some guys during FA(whenever it starts). As it stands now though, Washington would be my pick

Cincy is a mess and Minny has OL/QB issues and a defense where their best players are old as well

armageddon
05-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I am just glad to not see the Rams on these lists anymore.

Watchman
05-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I picked Buffalo. No idea why, first team that came to mind.

Vox Populi
05-16-2011, 06:47 PM
If there was any year for the Bills to not outplay their talent level, as a fan of the team, I wouldn't mind it happening this year with the possibility of getting Andrew Luck... That being said, we'll end up toughing out at least 4-5 scrappy wins, play most teams close and pick between 3rd & 7th probably.

edit. Voted Cincinnati because I don't think they'll be able to do enough offensively and don't have fantastic special teams to help them out, they'll need a massive amount of help from turnovers to do anything in my opinion.

Bucs_Rule
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Why would Denver pass on Luck if they were the worst team in the league? The only scenario that seems likely is another team offering Denver a major trade package.

If Denver has 1st pick it means both Orton and Tebow played and were bad. If they start Orton and they keep losing they'd go to Tebow and maybe flip back and forth like Carolina did.

Unless a team has a QB they confidently believes can become a great QB they won't pass on Luck. No matter what the package is.

It would be interesting if Carolina gets 1st to see just how much teams will give up to get him.

J-Mike88
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Still can't believe Minnesota won at Philly late last year..... they were probably the best team in football in 2009, now they look like they're terrible, despite having plenty of Pro Bowlers.

jsagan77
05-16-2011, 11:53 PM
The NFL is such a topsy turvy league. Don't we do one of these every year and every year we're wrong? Since it's for fun, I think from the look of it I fully expect the Seahawks to have the number one pick if they don't re-sign Matt Hasslebeck. After that I think I'll say that the Titans have a pretty good chance.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-17-2011, 06:54 AM
I voted Redskins.. They have been the doormat of our division for a while now. Granted any given sunday.... but when we play them I feel confident and a sense of calm, that they will get beat. Plus we always seem to play them opening day for some reason.

boknows34
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Another positive factor in Denver picking Luck 1st overall is John Elway, who just happens to be a Stanford grad. I don't think Elway is completely sold on Tebow either and he definitely won't if the Broncos are picking 1st and Luck is there for the taking.

niel89
05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
i mean, if it gets repeated enough times, it *might* become true.

wait, no. that's not how things generally work.

Would you agree that if Denver was in a position to get Luck they would probably take him with little hesitation?

IMO unless there is a team that offers a pretty large trade up package Elway would snatch up Luck in a hurry.

niel89
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
i think it's premature. what i disagree with is the 'not sold on tebow' meme. the FO was trying to generate trades. of course they were going to hint at taking a qb.

if tebow's garbage this year? sure, i can see elway flushing the mcdaniels experiment. but he honestly played pretty well last year. i'm not sold the wind up will ever be an effective way to throw the ball, and like vince young before him, i don't buy that it's something you can coach out of a player, but if he can 'just win games' doing what he does?

I think Tebow was always going to be the guy going into this year. Denver did what they could to try to generate trades but as you said there was nothing realistic.

I went back and watch some of Tebow's games from last year and he was pretty good overall. I think he is a guy you can win with and he will be the guy moving forward this season. The wind up isnt great but he can play with it. He still has the arm strength and has a pretty good deep ball.

Elway might not be 100% sold on Tebow for the next 6 years, but Tebow is obviously getting the next season to prove himself. The Broncos clearly aren't trying to actively trying to replace him, but after the season the FO will reevaluate the QB situation and take it from there.

Brown Leader
05-17-2011, 03:34 PM
With the first pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select, Andrew Luck, QB Stanford.

JBCX
05-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Washington won't be as terrible as everyone thinks.

Their defense will be much improved now that they both upgraded through free agency (OJ Otogwe) and the draft (Ryan Kerrigan/Jarvis Jenkins). The Shanahan offense is always built entirely around the running game and they now have a stable of capable zone-blocking system backs (Torain, Royster, Helu). The quarterback is still a question mark, but I doubt Shanahan would bypass all of those QBs in the draft if he didn't have a real plan to address the position in the offseason. Either he knows something about John Beck that we don't, or Vince Young will be the guy, and Young will actually be decent in Shanahan's system.

I'm not even a Redskins fan (I'm an Eagles fan), but I do concede that they had a pretty good off-season and will continue to improve under Shanahan. They're nowhere near to being the worst team next year, imho.

Brothgar
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm going to say Redskins unless Vince Young comes to Washington. They are completely deprived of talent on the offensive side of the ball. They will likely trade Haynesworth and McNabb. So what they get could be an improvement. They play in the NFC East of whom I don't see them winning any of those games. They play the AFC East who I don't see them winning any of those games so they start at 0-10 then they have the NFC West I think they lose to the Rams again depending on seattle and Arizona's QB situation they could be close matches. San Fran is a potential win if they are scheduled early and Carolina is a win for them IMO. So the best I can see Washington (sans Vince) is 2 - 4 win team with Vince I think they come out of the top pick at 6 wins.

DeathbyStat
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
If the Redskins start John Beck, i think they will be the worst