PDA

View Full Version : Bigger "Physical Freak" Julius Peppers vs Reggie White

dregolll
05-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Reggie White is the GOAT DE and set the standards in which DE play the game. Julius Peppers is considered by some to be the best DE in the game game today. They both have great measurables for the position and they both are physical marvels who were able to translate those gifts to the football field. My question to you guys is if you were a mad scientist and you had to create a DE, who would you create in the lab? Reggie White or Julius Peppers.

stephenson86
05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Reggie...he has all the athleticism and then some more, with some serious size.

BloodBrother
05-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Reggie swatted 300+ lbs lineman away with one arm like they were flies. I really wish I was able to see Reggie during his Eagles tenure. 21 sacks in 12 games in 1987 is ridiculous

Saints-Tigers
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Reggie is a freak in terms of quickness for a 300+ pounder, but he's probably the GOAT in terms of functional power and on the field strength.

JBCX
05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Reggie White ran a 4.6 40 at nearly 300 lbs. He reputedly didn't even lift weights - he simply got by on his natural athleticism, and that's why he often looked slightly out of shape and chubby when he was playing. He never missed games as a player because his body simply was never worn out as other players' bodies were. I heard this all in a radio interview with a guy who covered the Eagles when he played.

I think the man was made of some kind of more resilient and advanced material rather than mere flesh.

stephenson86
05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
A mutant?????

CashmoneyDrew
05-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Definitely Reggie. As good as Peppers is I can't say I've ever seen him pick up an offensive tackle and throw him into the QB for a sack.

descendency
05-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Reggie White ran a 4.6 40 at nearly 300 lbs.

280lbs. He was 280 at the combine.

FUNBUNCHER
05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Reggie is a freak in terms of quickness for a 300+ pounder, but he's probably the GOAT in terms of functional power and on the field strength.
This^^^

People seem to forget that when Reggie White signed with the Eagles out of the USFL, he wasn't 300+#. He was a 270# DE that grew into that monstrous size.

Yes, Reggie White lifted weights, the only NFL star(s) I that I know of who truly avoided the weight room were Lawrence Taylor and Herschel Walker.

But what was amazing IMO about Reggie WHite is that when the ball was snapped, he was so much stronger than any Olineman in the game. He could literally take one arm, jack up an OT and throw him to the side on his way to the QB.

It's a shame those Philly teams White played on couldn't get over because they had several amazing football players on those squads who were fun to watch on both sides of the football.

TitanHope
05-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I went to a football camp hosted by Reggie White when I was a kid, and to this day, he's been the most physically imposing person I've ever met.

jsagan77
05-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I heard the same thing about Reggie. I heard he did aton of stair work, pull ups and push ups but wasn't a gym rat. Not to say he never lifted weights it just sounded that way when I heard a radio analyst talk about it (forget who it was).

That said, Reggie is everything you could ever want in a DE... RIP big guy..

Rabscuttle
05-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Reggie was a load for a tackle/guard double team. Even with Brown, Simmons and Pitts on the line and extra pressure coming from the 46 he got a lot of attention. You never saw anyone consider blocking him solo with a tightend. That fool would die. You can't say the same for Peppers.

Monomach
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
280lbs. He was 280 at the combine.

...and it was a 4.69. In ten more years, people will say he ran a 4.3 at 350 lbs.

nepg
05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Reggie was just insanely strong for a DE. Completely different eras, so measuring the level of freak and comparing Peppers to White is like apples to oranges. Peppers is easily the better athlete, but things are completely different and more geared towards that these days compared to the power football of White's days.

FUNBUNCHER
05-22-2011, 02:27 PM
LOL!!

I was trying to find a reference from the defunct SPORT magazine and wound up reading an article about Reggie White admitting he received cash payments from a booster as a Tennessee Vol but later lied about it to protect the program!!LOL

Nothing new to see here, folks!!!

Let's get real, college football is big business, all the NCAA does it try to cover the stank.

whatadai
05-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Easy question. Reggie White, hands down.

Reggie White ran a 4.6 40 at nearly 300 lbs.

No. He ran a 4.3 at 350 lbs.

jack1077
05-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Reggie is his own beast. Half man, half animal. Peppers is amazing as well but Reggie is the epitome of what a DE should be.

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Reggie White ran a 4.6 40 at nearly 300 lbs. He reputedly didn't even lift weights - he simply got by on his natural athleticism, and that's why he often looked slightly out of shape and chubby when he was playing. He never missed games as a player because his body simply was never worn out as other players' bodies were. I heard this all in a radio interview with a guy who covered the Eagles when he played.

I think the man was made of some kind of more resilient and advanced material rather than mere flesh.

NFL steroid program.

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 02:25 PM
LOL!!

I was trying to find a reference from the defunct SPORT magazine and wound up reading an article about Reggie White admitting he received cash payments from a booster as a Tennessee Vol but later lied about it to protect the program!!LOL

Nothing new to see here, folks!!!

Let's get real, college football is big business, all the NCAA does it try to cover the stank.

+1

They're a bunch of f'n scumbags.