PDA

View Full Version : John Beck to Start for Skins?

gpngc
05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
John Beck is expected to enter training camp as the Redskins' starting quarterback, ESPN's Adam Schefter.
"It will be his job to lose," said Schefter, who is tight with coach Mike Shanahan after the two collaborated on a book in the late '90s. Per Schefter, the Redskins bypassed QBs in the draft because they believe Beck is better than most of the group available in the middle of the first round. Beck doesn't have a touchdown to show for any of his four NFL starts. He completed 27-of-48 passes (56.2 percent) for 300 yards (6.2 YPA) with a 2:2 TD-to-INT ratio against backups in last year's preseason. Former Dolphins coach Cam Cameron has given up on Beck twice now, which leaves Shanahan as the 30-year-old's lone backer.
Source: ESPN.com
May 17, 6:11 PM

Vince Young is lurking, but who knows if he'd be able to beat out Beck.

I found the bold funny particularly. I don't think Beck is anything special but it's pretty telling that Shanny preferred him to most of the QBs in this draft.

In that division, with that team, I'd say Washington has as good a chance as any squad to be picking first overall in 2012.

niel89
05-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Scary scary thought if Beck is starting. They are much better off with Rexy, who isn't great anyways. #1 pick if Beck starts all year, he'll be be benched though eventually.

dannyz
05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I think Beck is probably better then any QB in the Middle of the 1ST Round. Luck A Lock to the Redskins?

RaiderNation
05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
With the first pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Washington Redskins select Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Pat Sims 90
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Looks like Washington wants Andrew Luck pretty much a lock now if Beck is the starter all year.

Halsey
05-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Redskins fans should be really skeptical of what the Redskins are doing. Unless The Redskins know something we don't, they don't have a long term plan at QB. That's a tried and tested recipe for losing.

TACKLE
05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I said this in another thread but John Beck is in a close race with Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn and Todd Collins for titile of worst QB in the NFL. I wouldn't feel good if he was my teams backup let alone the starter.

Matthew Jones
05-17-2011, 06:54 PM
All I can hope is that Mike Shanahan's desultory reign as decision-maker for the Redskins comes to a merciful end in the near future. Redskins fans, I feel for you.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Redskins fans should be really skeptical of what the Redskins are doing. Unless The Redskins know something we don't, they don't have a long term plan at QB. That's a tried and tested recipe for losing.

1-15 with John Beck(2012 QB Andrew Luck)>>>7-9 with Rex Grossman(2012 QB Landry Jones)

gpngc
05-17-2011, 07:03 PM

I applaud them for not taking one of these QBs because of that sentiment. Just because you don't have a young QB, doesn't mean you waste draft picks taking guys who shouldn't be drafted that high.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I applaud them for not taking one of these QBs because of that sentiment. Just because you don't have a young QB, doesn't mean you waste draft picks taking guys who shouldn't be drafted that high.

Yup Shanny only liked Locker, why take anyone you don't believe in that's a waste of a pick like the Panthers taking Claussen. People dissed us for not taking Stanzi, lets be honest Stanzi would not be a starting QB.

CashmoneyDrew
05-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Yup. This is basically their way of saying, "We didn't like the QBs in the draft this year so we'll suck it up this year and take Luck in 2012."

niel89
05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
They are going to win their way out of the #1 pick somehow someway. I don't knock them for passing the QBs available for them at their picks but you can't play for the next year like its a sure thing.

Halsey
05-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I would never applaud a team for planning to lose. What a joke. I don't think the Redskins plan to lose. Only a fan would think a team is planning to be the worst team in the NFL. Coaches and GMs lose their jobs for being that bad.

dannyz
05-17-2011, 11:30 PM
They are not Planning to Lose but when you really don't get Major Improvements to a Team that is already not in the Best Shape, it looks bad.

CashmoneyDrew
05-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I would never applaud a team for planning to lose. What a joke. I don't think the Redskins plan to lose. Only a fan would think a team is planning to be the worst team in the NFL. Coaches and GMs lose their jobs for being that bad.

I can't even think about the phrase "John Beck will be the starter" without cracking up hysterically. Come on man. If he's their opening day starter then yes, they are throwing in the towel for Luck.

PoopSandwich
05-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I can't even think about the phrase "John Beck will be the starter" without cracking up hysterically. Come on man. If he's their opening day starter then yes, they are throwing in the towel for Luck.

Brady Quinn might start for the Broncos, those two will make come backs and be the two best quarterbacks in nfl history.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-18-2011, 01:57 AM
If the Redskins really do start Beck and end up with the number 1 pick I really hope Luck goes back for his senior year. Would be ******* epic

GaMeTiMe
05-18-2011, 05:01 AM
This is a non-story. Shanahan is talking up players already on his roster, Beck is the only QB under contract on that team right now other than McNabb. Whether or not it's Vince Young, they're going to add another player that's obviously better than John Beck.

SolidGold
05-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I doubt Vince Young will be a redskin, its been a rumor floated around for awhile now but he would not last very long being coached by Shanahan.

I think they are going to just pound the ball this year, they will probably resign Grossman at some point. I think Shanahan is going to bank on his past success with running backs in his offensive scheme. I expect a run heavy ball control offense for the Redskins this year.

Jimmy
05-18-2011, 08:03 AM
IDC if he starts or not... he'll be ****ing 30 in August. Way too late to form any kind of lasting career.

SolidGold
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
I think he is a stop gap at best, I thought they could of taken Stanzi in round 4 or 5 to develop. Since they didn't they seem to be ok with going through this season with a stop gap veteran playing QB. Next year's class is loaded at QB so I am sure they are targeting someone. I just figured they should have a young QB to develop. I have also heard Matt Hasselbeck as a potential FA target for the redskins.

Cudders
05-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I can't buy the idea that John Beck will actually be a starting quarterback come the first week of the season. I just can't do it, circumstances or not. If it weren't for Brady Quinn's existence, he would be the front-runner for worst quarterback in the NFL. I know we haven't seen him on a day-in, day-out basis like Shanahan, but I can't imagine that he's improved leaps and bounds since his disastrous stint in Miami. I would be shocked if the Redskins didn't bring in another body at the quarterback position in free agency whenever the lockout is lifted. Even Vince Young is light years better than Beck.

The only thing that I can think of is that Shanahan wants to roll the dice and gamble on winning the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes next year. But, if that's the case, the Skins better be as all-around bad as he thinks they are and Luck better be as elite as advertised.

Bucs_Rule
05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
If the Redskins finish with the worst record will Synder even keep Shanahan around?

bucfan12
05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I think Shannahan has a plan for Andrew Luck next year. That is why he wants to start John Beck. I mean, he was a part of the 1-15 dolphins team a few years ago. Shanahan thinks he can do the same with the Skins.

CashmoneyDrew
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't see the Redskins even pursuing Vince Young.

Shannahan and Jeff Fisher are pretty close friends. I'm sure Fisher has told him all of the horror stories.

Bucs_Rule
05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
I think Shannahan has a plan for Andrew Luck next year. That is why he wants to start John Beck. I mean, he was a part of the 1-15 dolphins team a few years ago. Shanahan thinks he can do the same with the Skins.

Cam Cameron, the coach of that team got fired and it was his first season.

Ness
05-19-2011, 12:52 AM
They are not Planning to Lose but when you really don't get Major Improvements to a Team that is already not in the Best Shape, it looks bad.

Free agency hasn't started yet though. They'll try to add another veteran in the future assuming this lockout ends.

IDC if he starts or not... he'll be ****ing 30 in August. Way too late to form any kind of lasting career.

Not really. A lot of quarterbacks got their start late and still made a mark in the NFL. Trent Green, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, etc.

Iamcanadian
05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't believe Shanahan has any plans for going into the season with either Beck or Grossman as his starter. He'll sign a veteran QB maybe even VY or trade for Kolb. Just have to wait and see.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-19-2011, 05:29 PM

This isn't true at all. A guy can most definitely get a chance later in his career, become a solid QB for a period of time, and then even a quality backup. Starting early doesn't mean you will have a long lasting career, and neither does starting late. Someone already provided examples of players who did this. Although 30 doesn't provide the 'QB of the Future' approach, it certainly doesn't mean he can't provide a 5 year option for a team...

Agreed. No team goes in planning to lose. It doesn't happen. It hurts the franchise image, fan base, revenues, and all in the assumption that draft pick #1 is vastly superior to any other player in the draft. Not every year is Peyton Manning, and there is always a high level of unknown. If Luck suffers a Mark Herzlich scenario then what does Washington do? What if he under performs. There are no gaurantees, and as such no legitimate franchise will go into the season with the intentions of going for #1 overall pick. They can try other alternatives when hope is lost and not care if they win, but not the former.

Let's be honest....Beck isn't a horribly worse option to their other alternatives (excluding McNabb, who clearly didn't work out last year and they aren't going that route). What Beck did as a rookie on an awful team doesn't mean he's toast for the rest of his career. He definitely could be crap, but until we see what has made the coaching staff optimistic, it is all people talking on topics they don't know.

nepg
05-19-2011, 05:54 PM
You know...Beck isn't that bad. He had a bad start to his career in Miami, but the guy is skilled. Shanahan loves these reclamation projects, and a lot of them turn out really well.

Finz99
05-20-2011, 12:20 AM
this is all I'll ever remember John Beck for...

rDIqcHBkyJs