PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Chargers Draft Review

MI_Buckeye
05-18-2011, 12:32 AM
I received a request to post the order of my draft reviews. I had been determining the order as I go along, but I thought to be fair to all the fans of each team, I will post the order now.

Coming up (in order):

Colts
Chiefs
Giants
Eagles
Ravens
Lions
Cowboys
Patriots
Bears
Broncos
Packers
Dolphins
Titans
Saints
Falcons
Jets
Browns
Bucs
Seahawks
Panthers
Texans
Bengals
Raiders
Vikings

San Diego Chargers

Where did the franchise stand before the draft:

Only the Chargers could finish first in the league in offense, first in the league in defense and not make the playoffs.

For about the last seven years, San Diego has been recognized as one of the league's most talented squads. They have had two future Hall of Fame QBs come through their doors, as well as a number of players who rank among the best of all time at RB, TE, and rush linebacker. Additionally, the Chargers have boasted one of the most complete rosters with a plethora of Pro Bowlers and solid starters to round out their roster.

And for it, they have won precisely squat of any importance. The team has been notorious for starting slow and ending suddenly. No team is better in November and December, and no team can be counted on more for a bizarre meltdown than the Super Chargers.

Last season, horrific special teams play led to the Chargers releasing their six-year stranglehold on the AFC West trophy, despite their gaudy team statistics. Blocked kicks, returns for touchdowns and just generally bad field position, San Diego was just about perfectly incompetent in the most underrated aspect of the game. Because of it, nearly all of the Chargers picks in the 2011 Draft, even the early ones, are probably going to need to contribute something on special units.

You don't get to have the No. 1 units on both sides of ball without being talented, but it is safe to say the Chargers have more holes than their stats would suggest. Any passing offense featuring Phillip Rivers is going to be excellent, But with Vincent Jackson out, a true No. 1 WR would be very nice, as would an upgrade or two on the offensive line. Defensively, the pass rush has never quite been the same since Roids Merriman fizzled out, and the team has needed help at DE for some time now.

In spite of all his eccentricities, GM A.J. Smith has been one of the best personnel men in the business in San Diego. This is still one of the most talented teams in the league, and with a solid draft, the Chargers should be back to winning the AFC West and losing at home in the playoffs in no time.

The Picks

Round One, Pick 18: Corey Liuget, DL, Illinois

Hmmm. A.J. Smith has always been one of the most independent decision makers in the NFL. He takes the guys he wants to take, and sometimes that doesn't correlate with anybody else's expectations.

Liuget was projected to go right in this area of the draft, and the Chargers were expected to take a five technique if one was available. So while the value and position aren't curious, but the fit is.

Nearly everyone projected Liuget as a one-gap penetrator (or under tackle) in a 4-3 front, because that is the position he was so effective playing for the Illini. There were rumors that the Chargers were interested in trading up for either JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan, so when Jordan was available at their original pick, it was surprising to see them opt for Liuget instead.

But just because it was an unexpected pick doesn't mean it is a bad one. Smith has done well projecting players to new positions before, and Liuget has the tools to play the position. After losing almost 50 pounds in the offseason, Liuget attracted attention for his non-stop motor and active hands during a sensational breakout junior season. Liuget is a high-character prospect who will put in the time and accept coaching at his new position.

However, I am still a bit skeptical about whether he'll make the transition as smoothly as expected. Jacques Cesaire and Luis Castillo are merely average, but they might be good enough to keep Liuget sidelined for a good portion of his rookie year. The Chargers have become more multiple in their fronts over recent years though, and Liuget offers them a natural interior player when they switch fronts.

Round Two, Pick 50: Marcus Gilchrist, DB, Clemson

The second Clemson defender taken before national sack leader Da'Quan Bowers, Gilchrist offers tremendous versatility and special teams value.

Playing CB his last year at Clemson, Gilchrist has played many positions for the Tigers and will likely continue to be a jack of all trades early on with the Chargers. Solid in all aspects of the game, Gilchrist has sufficient but not special physical qualities.

His best fit long-term is probably as a FS. He plays better in zone when he is able to observe the backfield. He gets lost often coming out of his backpedal. Eric Weddle is a free agent and Bob Sanders is good for about four plays, so insurance is definitely needed in the deep secondary.

Also, especially important to San Diego, Gilchrist was a gunner, jammer and returner on Clemson's punt squads. He will most assuredly be a core special teams player for the Chargers.

Round Two, Pick 61 (from the Jets): Jonas Mouton, LB, Michigan

WHOA! I certainly didn't see this pick coming.

Nobody would have been that surprised to see Mouton go undrafted, so to call this pick a reach vastly understates the lack of value the Chargers got. Of course, all that matters is if Mouton can actually play, and I just don't see it.

After watching nearly every play of Michigan's repugnant defense last season, I can tell you I saw a guy who repeatedly took bad angles and didn't finish consistently when he arrived at the football. He was said to be a great athlete, but he didn't test well.

He played on the weakside at UM, but must move inside in San Diego's defense. As shocked as I was to see him go this early, I was even more shocked that it was a 3-4 team that selected him. Trust me, I hate the Wolverines, but I have no bias when evaluating them as prospects. THIS PICK SUCKED!

Round Three, Pick 82: Vincent Brown, WR, San Diego State

I don't mean this derisively in any way, but Brown should really be commended for becoming as good a player as he is with how small and slow he is.

This is one prospect that I think is pretty much a finished product. He runs great routes and catches the away from his body like an instructional tape every time. Unfortunately, he doesn't present a big target and will never ever stretch the field.

Brown will pretty much have to play inside. If he is ever on the field in 2 WR sets, you are sacrificing a lot of explosiveness.

Round Three, Pick 89 (from Seattle): Shareece Wright, CB, USC

With one of the picks acquired in the Charlie Whitehurst trade, the Chargers get a physically gifted CB who once had attitude issues but apparently turned himself around as he got older.

Wright excels in off man coverage but is a liability in zone, because he can be manipulated by QBs and WRs. He is solid in run support and can play a little special teams.

Round Six, Pick 183: Jordan Todman, RB, UConn

After almost 100 picks off, the Chargers made their first pick that I really like. Todman was the mail carrier at UConn and one of the most productive backs in the country. Now, he will be a complimentary back to Ryan Mathews, and I think he will be a very good one.

Todman is skilled in all the nuances of the position, including blitz protection and route running. Size may be a concern, but nobody is going to ask him to carry the ball twenty times unless he surprises everyone and wins the job in camp.

Round Six, Pick 201: Steve Schilling, OG, Michigan

Think, only one team took anybody from Michigan in this draft.

Schilling is a solid, athletic, blue collar lineman who needs to get bigger to contriubte in the NFL. He played at a much lower weight than he is capable of because he played in an offense almost diametrically opposed to the one he will play in San Diego.

Schilling was very highly regarded as a LT coming out of HS, but never quite lived up to his recruiting status.

Round Seven, Pick 234: Andrew Gachkar, LB, Missouri

Gachkar is a productive and instinctive college outside linebacker who was probably expected to go undrafted but is not terrible value in the last 20 picks in the draft. He must have some special teams value, but I am not sure.

All in all:

EEEEEEEEEEESH! Strange draft.

I have always respected A.J. Smith as one of the best in the business, but I flat can not get on board with this draft. Yes, I know he marches to the beat of a different drummer, but this draft was just too full of reaches and questionable scheme fits.

Liugetb is a good player, but taking him at that point with what was left on the board is just puzzling. Gilchrist was a reach, Mouton sucks, Brown is extremely limited, and nobody else really has much long-term capability outside of being a competent reserve.

Reviewing this draft to me was like watching David Lynch's Lost Highway. Yes, plenty of what made Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and even Elephant Man great were present, but this time it just doesn't come together. Everything is just too obscure and pretentious; it is very off-putting.

For the sake of all snake-bitten Charger fans out there, let's hope this draft was just an aberration in the catalog of Smith draft and he bounces back with a Mulholland Drive-worthy group of selections next year.

Overall Draft Grade: D

Duffman57
05-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Round Two, Pick 61 (from the Jets): Jonas Mouton, LB, Michigan

WHOA! I certainly didn't see this pick coming.

Nobody would have been that surprised to see Mouton go undrafted, so to call this pick a reach vastly understates the lack of value the Chargers got. Of course, all that matters is if Mouton can actually play, and I just don't see it.

After watching nearly every play of Michigan's repugnant defense last season, I can tell you I saw a guy who repeatedly took bad angles and didn't finish consistently when he arrived at the football. He was said to be a great athlete, but he didn't test well.

He played on the weakside at UM, but must move inside in San Diego's defense. As shocked as I was to see him go this early, I was even more shocked that it was a 3-4 team that selected him. Trust me, I hate the Wolverines, but I have no bias when evaluating them as prospects. THIS PICK SUCKED!

I think your letting your fanhood get to you in this one. A lot of the best "public scouts" or whatever you want to call them, really liked his tape. Greg Cosell, who is probably the best scout that actually talks with the public, had him as a 3rd rounder and a "film favorite". He's tough, and fights through blocks, and has really good hips, but has bad strait line speed and takes bad angles because of it (overrates his speed) and can miss some tackles, but is a solid player (again, all coming from what i got from Cossell's twitter).

Other than that, i think that people are a bit confused by the direction we went in with the 1st pick. But Liuget is 10x the run defender that Jordan is, and will not have to do anything to play right away, Jordan will have to add another 10 lbs to play in the role we want. And for people saying how Liuget is a bad fit, remember, we're not exactly playing a 2 gap 3-4 like NE does, we play, or are looking like we will play a penetrating, disruptive 1 gap, so he's basically playing the same role as a 3T, just bumped a man over.

You gotta remember as well, that Wright is mostly a Nickel until we can develop him to be Jammers Replacement. He will play man on the inside, sticking with the Collie/Stokley/Welker's of the AFC and then he has the talent to eventually move outside in about 2 years.

And i love how you just consider Jackson to be "out". He's on the team next year, and until we get some sort of compensation for him, he will be on the team. So we still have a great group of WR's with Floyd (if he's back)/Crayton/Jackson on the outside, and Crayton/Brown running the slot with Seyi Ajiratutu behind them. Brown will never be in a 2 WR set, he will be a slot man.

And for the record, can you say that we didn't fix our 2 biggest needs? 3 of our top 5 draft picks and 2 of our last 2 will be HEAVY ST's contributers right away (Gilchrist (RT/Gunner), Mouton, Wright (Watch, he becomes a REALLY good gunner), Todman (RT), Gachkar). We at least hit all of our big needs in this draft.

Iamcanadian
05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
I am not a Smlth supporter as a drafter. I suggested he would fall from his perch after Schotty left, as I believed Schotty had more to do with Smith's reputation than people realized.
That being said, I have no problem with the Luiget pick and think he will adjust nicely to the DE position on a 3-4 team. High motor and active hands will work well for him as a 3-4 DE.

bucfan12
05-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I agree with the grade. This was a terrible first 3 picks by the Chargers. Corey Liuget is not a fit for a 3-4 defense. He's best and most productive in the 4-3 under tackle. Cameron Jordan is a 5 technique and he slipped.

In Round 2, seriously, Justin Houston was on the board. He has 1st round ability. I would have taken him instead of a guy who was graded by most teams a 5th round pick.

Shareece Wright was another CB i wasn't high on, but Mayock said teams would reach on CBs early, but Brandon Burton from Utah has much more potential to start in this league, so he would have been worth the risk in round 3.

Toddman might have been the only decent pick I liked and not sure about Brown. Might take time to develop, but Leonard Hankerson was a better option.

bergo23
05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
After Luigit, this draft was all about special teams, if Bassacia (sp?) can light a fire under Nouton, Gilchrist, Wright and the Kid from Mizzou, this will be a successful draft. Not many teams have the luxury of drafting with an eye toward special teams and depth.

If Luigit proves his metal against the run (KC in particular)...we will be in business. I love the depth the two DB's bring. Gachtar is going to be a special teams demon (which we sorely missed with Osgood leaving).

I too was disappointed we didn't get Houston (especially since KC did). Hopefully AJ dips into the well of UDFA's in Brandon Lang and we come up with a good one there, cuz we certainly did not get a pass rusher. I also hope we get Manny Lawson in Free Agency.

Iamcanadian
05-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Houston was way overrated by draftniks, NFLN kept saying that his athletic ability isn't matched by his production on the field. If the play wasn't right at him, he just disappeared and gave no effort. He is a true workout warrior with nothing on film to support him going higher than he did.

FUNBUNCHER
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Houston was way overrated by draftniks, NFLN kept saying that his athletic ability isn't matched by his production on the field. If the play wasn't right at him, he just disappeared and gave no effort. He is a true workout warrior with nothing on film to support him going higher than he did.

If you watched Georgia play last season, one guy on defense appeared to always be around the football, or seemed unblockable, and that was Justin Houston.

His production last season was fine, and putting up the numbers he did in the SEC are slightly more impressive to me than what Von Miller did in the Big 12.

'True workout warrior'???

You mean like being voted onto multiple AA teams, 1st team SEC, UGA's defensive MVP, with 67 total tackles, 18.5 TFLs and 10 sacks??

Houston was a solid 1st round talent who fell, and no OLB prospect in this draft has his combo of physical tools. I think he turns out to be one of the biggest steals of this draft.

It would be more fair if you're going to totally rip a prospect to have actually seen them play the season before.

Stop quoting NFLN all the time, and use your own head to form an opinion about whether or not a guy looks like a PLAYER....to you.

Mayock was the only guy on NFLN consistently down on Houston, and his track record on LB/DEs is spotty at best.

Iamcanadian
05-19-2011, 12:19 PM
If you watched Georgia play last season, one guy on defense appeared to always be around the football, or seemed unblockable, and that was Justin Houston.

His production last season was fine, and putting up the numbers he did in the SEC are slightly more impressive to me than what Von Miller did in the Big 12.

'True workout warrior'???

You mean like being voted onto multiple AA teams, 1st team SEC, UGA's defensive MVP, with 67 total tackles, 18.5 TFLs and 10 sacks??

Houston was a solid 1st round talent who fell, and no OLB prospect in this draft has his combo of physical tools. I think he turns out to be one of the biggest steals of this draft.

It would be more fair if you're going to totally rip a prospect to have actually seen them play the season before.

Stop quoting NFLN all the time, and use your own head to form an opinion about whether or not a guy looks like a PLAYER....to you.

Mayock was the only guy on NFLN consistently down on Houston, and his track record on LB/DEs is spotty at best.

Actually, nobody on NFLN had a kind word for Houston. That is the difference between highlight film and the film pro team use to scout prospects. They can watch a prospect on every play in every game whether he took part or not. They can watch what he does when a play doesn't come his way, something the rest of us can only dream about.
I'm not stupid and realize I have limitations when scouting a player. I don't have access to the practice field, to pro type game film, to the interview process nor did I play pro football.
I use NFLN like they were my scouts, watching carefully to determine their biases and weaknesses so I can read between the lines when they are analyzing a prospect. Sure, I watch as much film as I can but I realize that it isn't perfect and has limitations.
Film is everything in scouting, stats are way over hyped and making AA teams is even a worse indicator of pro potential.
I'm not saying Houston will be a flop but when decent scouts tell me he disappears on film when the play isn't near him, I listen.
Now the light might go on at the next level when he is facing reality of being a professional, but don't tell me he had 1st round talent and intangibles and suddenly fell to round 3 because 32 teams couldn't see it and will be a huge steal. If the light goes on for any prospect they have a real shot to be successful but there are huge question marks concerning Houston and it wasn't just Mayock who saw them.

FUNBUNCHER
05-19-2011, 12:42 PM
What are his 'huge question marks'?? He was in the QB's face 44 times last year.

6'3, a lean 270# with sub 4.6 speed. I lean towards scouts missing the boat on Houston, not that they 'know' something awful about him.

The only thing that I heard given as a reason why Houston fell is because he's a weed head, not a bad football player.

For DE/OLBs, the tape fans see on Saturdays is essentially the same as the game tape coaches and scouts have access to, BTW. The only tape that's really different is when you're evaluating QBs, WR and DBs, because on TV you aren't seeing downfield coverages and the reads these players have to make.

You called him a 'workout warrior with nothing on film to support him going higher than what he did'.

That's garbage, no offense.

'Workout warriors' have minimal production on gamedays. That's not Justin Houston.
It's kind of a weird critique to say that a player was productive, but should have been even more so, and therefore is not a great prospect, which it what I heard regarding Houston on NFLN.

Conference awards are given by rival coaches. Notice that Blaine Gabbert didn't receive a single ONE from his Big 12 rivals.

SEC coaches acknowledged that Houston was one of the best defenders they played against last season.

I don't like stating with absolute certainty what any player is going to do on the next level, but I think you'll soon discover if you watch any KC games this season, assuming these rookies get any kind of TC, why 'draft experts' is a job title and not a description.

IMO it still helps the rest of us on SWDC if you personally have seen a prospect play and form at least a partial personal opinion on him instead of regurgitating what others have said.

Prospects whom I've never seen play I try to limit my opinions about.

roscoesdad27
05-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Awkward draft, looks like the chargers are going to a 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

I like Liuget despite his awkward fit but then there was 3 consecutive reaches....I agree with the low grade.

gpngc
05-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Most NFL people, from what I read, viewed Liuget as guy who could definitely play 5-technique in a 3-4.

People view him as a penetrator because his quickness is his most obvious great attribute but in reality he's also extremely strong. Plus, quickness helps in a two-gap system as well. I think he'll do fine.

I vehemently disagree with your grade of D. This could be a subtle good draft that propels them to a championship run.

Duffman57
05-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I agree that we reached on a few picks, but there is complete reasoning behind them. We got guys who will make an impact right away, and will help us RIGHT NOW, we avoided projects like Wilson/Houston as pass rushers etc to get guys that will give immediate contributions no matter how small they are (3rd down backer, nickelback, starting 5T, a slot WR, a KR/PR, and a 3rd down back). A bunch of tiny contributions, more importantly all will contribute on ST's, that may push us over the edge for a super bowl run.

Cudders
05-20-2011, 09:14 AM
There's no way the Chargers' draft was that bad. In fact, I actually think it was sneaky good. Nothing spectacular, sure, but it addressed key areas, the biggest of those being their special teams. Their offense wasn't an issue and their cast of no-name defenders, so to speak, played very well together.

The Liuget pick was solid even though I wasn't his biggest fan coming out. Thought he was a little inconsistent at Illinois, but the translatable tools are there, which is what matters most in the NFL Draft. Fires out of his stances, keeps lineman off his pads with active hands, and has even shown range outside the phone booth. Never envisioned him going to a 3-4 team, but I don't hate the fit either, especially if he's utilized like Jay Ratliff. Shading and shooting gaps rather than plugging and holding them.

The part of their draft that seems to get hated on the most are the Gilchrist and Mouton picks. I can't say I've really broken down Gilchrist's coverage skills, so I can't comment on that aspect of his game, but I understand he's a smart and willing special teams player with experience as a gunner and returner. That's exactly what the Chargers need right now. It isn't sexy to draft special teamers in the second round, but the unit they fielded last year consistently let them down and cost them games.

The same thing can be said for the Mouton pick. Look, let's face facts, this class was largely devoid of traditional linebacker talent. In a weak crop, one could make the argument that Mouton was the best run-and-chase linebacker of the bunch. That doesn't mean he's special in that regard, but because the draft was thin in that area and he offers those kinds of services to a team, his stock was elevated. And "draftnik" value doesn't matter. If you like a player, and you're confident he can help your team, you take him right there. You don't know how the other thirty-one teams have their board constructed and all it takes is one team for you to miss out on a player. The Chargers obviously thought they could use Mouton's talent on special teams, so they selected him. I can't fault them for that. Plus, I'm sure they believe Gilchrist and Mouton can contribute in roles on defense for them as well.

Count me in as a Vincent Brown fan, too. He's somewhat of a finished product and his upside might be limited, but I like the kid. He's a savvy route-runner, shows strong hands, catches the ball away from his body, and plays with a feisty demeanor. I can see him stepping in early and being productive as a zone-buster for Philip Rivers.

Also liked the Jordan Todman pick in the sixth. I think Todman was a fine value there and should be a nice change-of-pace back alongside Ryan Mathews in the future. He plays bigger than his size suggests, runs with plus shiftiness, isn't afraid to pound the rock between the tackles, can make people miss inside the box, and generally finishes runs well by falling forward. But, he definitely needs to improve his total package if he wants to be a third-down back that fully replaces Darren Sproles. He is very raw as a receiver and a liability in pass protection. I don't know where the notion of him being a complete back came from. He isn't. It's the reason he lasted until the sixth round. He's an undersized downhill runner with limited skills in the passing game. He actually spent most of UConn's passing downs on the sideline.

MI_Buckeye
05-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Also liked the Jordan Todman pick in the sixth. I think Todman was a fine value there and should be a nice change-of-pace back alongside Ryan Mathews in the future. He plays bigger than his size suggests, runs with plus shiftiness, isn't afraid to pound the rock between the tackles, can make people miss inside the box, and generally finishes runs well by falling forward. But, he definitely needs to improve his total package if he wants to be a third-down back that fully replaces Darren Sproles. He is very raw as a receiver and a liability in pass protection. I don't know where the notion of him being a complete back came from. He isn't. It's the reason he lasted until the sixth round. He's an undersized downhill runner with limited skills in the passing game. He actually spent most of UConn's passing downs on the sideline.

If you go back to the days when he was the No. 2 back at UConn, he played on almost all their passing downs. He just didnt do it the last couple seasons because he was carrying the ball 30-40 times a game, and they wanted to keep him fresh. He can definitely be a third down back.

onejayhawk
05-22-2011, 12:32 AM
I have been reviewing the AFC West drafts. I like this one. Luiget is a bit odd, but he may remind them of Luis Castillo, who worked out well for them.

The thing to get about Mouton, in particular, but also Gilcrist and others, is the Special Teams impact. It is not an overstatement to say that ST kept the Chargers out of the playoffs last season. He is still a big reach, but he will make the team, and be an ace on coverage teams.

J

Iamcanadian
05-22-2011, 05:42 AM
I don't know why ayone would question the Gilcrist pick, it was a very solid pick IMO. Mouton on the other hand did seem a bit strange to me. It is very unusual to use a high pick on a special teamer.

MI_Buckeye
05-23-2011, 02:00 AM
The thing about this "Mouton is a special teamer" talk that befuddles me is that I watched every Michigan game a couple of times, and they were absolutely horrible in all special teams categories, and their best special teams player by a country mile was Jordan Kovacs. I am seeing Mouton as more of a special teams projection than a proven killer in coverage.

Duffman57
05-23-2011, 03:44 AM
The thing about this "Mouton is a special teamer" talk that befuddles me is that I watched every Michigan game a couple of times, and they were absolutely horrible in all special teams categories, and their best special teams player by a country mile was Jordan Kovacs. I am seeing Mouton as more of a special teams projection than a proven killer in coverage.

I think your very biased against michigan guys TBH. Everything you've said about either michigan guy is just ripping him. Not a knock on you cuz we all do it, me with USC/Ohio State and sometimes Auburn, but just something i consider when i'm reading this.

MI_Buckeye
05-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I think your very biased against michigan guys TBH. Everything you've said about either michigan guy is just ripping him. Not a knock on you cuz we all do it, me with USC/Ohio State and sometimes Auburn, but just something i consider when i'm reading this.

I swear I'm not. I loved Brandon Graham last year, and I think Mike Martin is a virtual first round lock next year who should go in the top 15. Heck, I even like Denard as a late first/early second round athlete.

This was just an exceptionally weak year for Michigan prospects. Nobody would've really been that surprised if neither one got drafted. I am just saying what most everyone else is saying in regards to Mouton, and as far as Schilling goes; he came to Michigan as a borderline four-five star recruit and just didn't quite live up to expectations. He is a decent flyer pick, and I have no problem with the Chargers taking him in the sixth, but I just don't think he will ever be someone who consistently starts in the NFL.

Duffman57
05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I swear I'm not. I loved Brandon Graham last year, and I think Mike Martin is a virtual first round lock next year who should go in the top 15. Heck, I even like Denard as a late first/early second round athlete.

This was just an exceptionally weak year for Michigan prospects. Nobody would've really been that surprised if neither one got drafted. I am just saying what most everyone else is saying in regards to Mouton, and as far as Schilling goes; he came to Michigan as a borderline four-five star recruit and just didn't quite live up to expectations. He is a decent flyer pick, and I have no problem with the Chargers taking him in the sixth, but I just don't think he will ever be someone who consistently starts in the NFL.

Yah, i guess, and i agree with you on Schilling, that he's more of a career backup type.

But if you watch the tape (i've only seen 2 or 3 games, but specifically watching him) its kinda hard to miss mouton since their D is so terrible, but when you watch specifically him, he's actually quite a good player. Sheds blocks real well, and has really fluid hips. He reminds me a TON of Larry Foote (i've said this over and over). Literally the same school (i didn't know this until i made the comparison, so its not just because their from the same school or the same basically everything, because i had no clue..lol) height/weight (to the pound) and speed (4.8 speed) and both are just completely unathletic for a ILB, but somehow with their technique and knowledge, they are able to get work done. Probably wont have the same impact for a while if ever, but very similar players IMO.