PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo is overrated

SLIM THUGGA
05-19-2011, 07:00 PM
be real this boy aint a gamer and dallas aint winning **** with him at the helm. might as well ditch him and start over cuz youll never win a ring with tonys candy ass at qb.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/09000d5d81fe5785/DDFP-Why-Romo-is-overrated

CrankthatCrabtree
05-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Not really sure he is rated this days, so I can't really say. No way is he a top 10 QB, but with a good season he can def get back to top 10 status.

SickwithIt1010
05-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Been sayin this for years.

Menardo75
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Preach brother

Raiderz4Life
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Been saying that for the longest time lol

TitanHope
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I dunno guys. Tony Romo is a pretty good QB.

Giantsfan1080
05-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Wow over a million. When did that happen?

Matthew Jones
05-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Agreed. Over the three years preceding this season, Romo was averaging 63%, 4000 yards, 8.0 YPA, 29 TDs, 14 INTs, and 11 wins a season with a QB rating of 95. He's severely underrated in my opinion.

Giantsfan1080
05-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I obviously hate Romo but yeah he's pretty good. I'd still take him over most guys that have been annointed in the last 2 years.

niel89
05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
He's not bad. You can certainly win with a guy like that though.

TitanHope
05-19-2011, 07:59 PM

A month ago? Not really sure.

keylime_5
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
he's good enough to win with. they need to solidify their offensive line and running game and not worry about romo.

D-Unit
05-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm obviously not gonna complain... After Aikman we had Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson, and Drew Bledsoe... Can I be happy about having Romo?

But about him being overrated... who overrates him? I'm pretty sure the consensus is that he's good but not great. Usually a post like this is made for players who folks think are great, but really are just good or avg.

This is like making a post about something that's made up in your mind. Slim thugga? lol.

Ness
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Romo is a good quarterback. Right below the elite I'd say. That radio interview was ********.

"They haven't gotten to the Super Bowl with him yet."

Yeah, like it's easy. I guess Rivers sucks too because the Chargers haven't gotten to the Super Bowl and the team has choked year after year. By the way Warren Moon was terrible because the Oilers never made it past the divisional round.

Watchman
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM

Exactly. Good, not great (at least not yet), solid to excellent numbers, need to see more success in the playoffs. Similar to Matt Schuab. They are both going to win you games. There are many teams that would like to have Romo as their QB.

Ness
05-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Exactly. Good, not great (at least not yet), solid to excellent numbers, need to see more success in the playoffs. Similar to Matt Schuab. They are both going to win you games. There are many teams that would like to have Romo as their QB.

Could you imagine if Romo yet the free agent market today? Tons of teams would be in line for him, probably overpaying.

jsagan77
05-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Agreed that Romo is underrated. His stats in the regular season have been pretty amazing and once they fix that OL he should be even better.

J-Mike88
05-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Romo is good enough to get to elite.
And in 2007, he was almost elite.

Ryan, Freeman, or Romo? Who's better?

armageddon
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I want Romo for my FFL badly. He is going to have a monster year.

SickwithIt1010
05-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Agreed that Romo is underrated. His stats in the regular season have been pretty amazing and once they fix that OL he should be even better.

He is a great regular season player, but he seems to collapse in the big games. He just doesnt strike me as a guy that has the big game mentality.

Smash28Dash34
05-19-2011, 10:49 PM
If the Cowboys ever released Romo there would be at least 8 teams ready to scoop him up asap. He might not be Manning or Brady, but he is certainly better than people give him credit for. Overrated my ***.

SickwithIt1010
05-19-2011, 10:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=834

Who are the NFL's most overrated players?

A recent Sports Illustrated survey of NFL players concluded that Terrell Owens is the league's most overrated player, followed by Tony Romo, Mark Sanchez, Albert Haynesworth and Eli Manning. But is Owens, who has 476 receiving yards this season, even the most overrated player on his team?

We've assembled the five players judged most harshly by their peers, as well as a few more names who seem to come up with some regularity in discussions of NFL reputations and production. Who do you rank as most overrated?

Voted the 2nd most overrated player by his peers. Speaks pretty loudly to me.

phlysac
05-19-2011, 11:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=834

Voted the 2nd most overrated player by his peers. Speaks pretty loudly to me.

Several of those "most overrated players" according to their peers are also "top-100 players" according to their peers. The dilemma is we never know how big of a pool of voters these lists are compiled by.

Saints-Tigers
05-19-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm not a big Romo fan, but how can someone that is so constantly bashed, possibly be overrated? lol.

Roddoliver
05-19-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't think he is. The Cowboys clearly miss him on the field, he makes a difference there. When I think overrated, it has to be a career backup like Kevin Kolb generating trade rumors involving a 1st round pick.

RCAChainGang
05-20-2011, 12:15 AM
No way Tony is overrated. That video really just pissed me off. Too many times the outcome of a game is placed on a QBs shoulders. It is a team sport for a reason. The reason the Packers won the super bowl is because they had a great QB and a great team. The reason the Colts lost was because we have a great QB and an average defense at best. The QB is really important, but you can't say all the failures in postseason play rests on the QB.

jsagan77
05-20-2011, 01:52 AM
He is a great regular season player, but he seems to collapse in the big games. He just doesnt strike me as a guy that has the big game mentality.

A lot of QB's have done poorly in the post season but they are still considered great QB's because of their regular season play.

BigBlueNorwegian
05-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Tony Romo is a good NFL QB. I wouldn't call him overrated, but he is a polarizing player. You've got some fans saying He is a top 5 QB, and some haters saying He doesn't even belong in the top 16. I personally think the truth lies somewhere inbetween, but I do know that as a Giants-fan I do have a lot of respect for Tony Romo as a player.

Ness
05-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Why doesn't Rivers get this criticism?

Texas Homer
05-20-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm not a big Cowboys fan, but I'm not a hater either.

I like Romo. I think that I would put him into the top 10 QBs in the league.

jsagan77
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Because of the market he's in. For some reason if you don't win a SB in Dallas you're considered mediocre.

Bengalsrocket
05-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not a big Cowboys fan, but I'm not a hater either.

I like Romo. I think that I would put him into the top 10 QBs in the league.

Top 10 seems to high, I'm not going to list off any quarterbacks though. But I definitely think he's right around that 10, maybe as far as back as 15 which is still above average.

I'd be happy if he was the QB of my favorite team and I don't think he's even close to the weakest link on the Cowboys.

Rosebud
05-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Top 10 seems to high, I'm not going to list off any quarterbacks though. But I definitely think he's right around that 10, maybe as far as back as 15 which is still above average.

I'd be happy if he was the QB of my favorite team and I don't think he's even close to the weakest link on the Cowboys.

I think Romo's 11th, but he's a tough guy to hate, he's a good QB and a great person. He needs better playoff performances to cement himself as a top 10 QB but he's certainly close.

FUNBUNCHER
05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Romo is a franchise QB and he's better than what most teams call starters at the QB position.

He holds virtually all the single season passing records for the Cowboys, and his only negative is that he doesn't have a ring.

When he's on top of his game, he's Brett Favre lite.

We'll see how 'overrated' Romo is with Garrett as the Cowboys' new HC.

Monomach
05-22-2011, 11:07 AM
be real this boy aint a gamer and dallas aint winning **** with him at the helm. might as well ditch him and start over cuz youll never win a ring with tonys candy ass at qb.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cowboys/09000d5d81fe5785/DDFP-Why-Romo-is-overrated

story bro cool!

SickwithIt1010
05-22-2011, 05:31 PM
A lot of QB's have done poorly in the post season but they are still considered great QB's because of their regular season play.

They will never be on that elite level of QB's till you win a ring.

IMO Marino would have gone down as the best to ever play had he won one, but I think thats what holds a lot of people back from putting him on top.

descendency
05-22-2011, 07:26 PM
I'd take him over most QBs in the NFL. I'm not saying he's a top 5 QB, but he's definitely top 15.

edit: It's not talent or Romo's bad play that's killing the Cowboys. It's discipline. They have none. When Flozell Adams was on their team, he was a penalty machine. They play soft. Jerry Jones (and Troy Aikman for that matter -- yes, half of Texas now hates me) is lucky he put together one of the all time great teams or he'd be ringless. They're a flashy showboat team that gets punched in the mouth and caves in. Mike Jenkins type players make me laugh.

I'd take playing the Cowboys in the Super Bowl over any other NFC team.

Tony Romo should have hired someone to take out Wade Phillips ages ago. He was too soft to be the Cowboys coach. Football smart guy but too much 'strip club mentality' in the Dallas locker room.

Because the best QB in the league is immune to criticism.

/ncstatehomer

D-Unit
05-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I'd take him over most QBs in the NFL. I'm not saying he's a top 5 QB, but he's definitely top 15.

edit: It's not talent or Romo's bad play that's killing the Cowboys. It's discipline. They have none. When Flozell Adams was on their team, he was a penalty machine. They play soft. Jerry Jones (and Troy Aikman for that matter -- yes, half of Texas now hates me) is lucky he put together one of the all time great teams or he'd be ringless. They're a flashy showboat team that gets punched in the mouth and caves in. Mike Jenkins type players make me laugh.

I'd take playing the Cowboys in the Super Bowl over any other NFC team.

Tony Romo should have hired someone to take out Wade Phillips ages ago. He was too soft to be the Cowboys coach. Football smart guy but too much 'strip club mentality' in the Dallas locker room.

Because the best QB in the league is immune to criticism.

/ncstatehomer
How exactly do you judge a team being soft? I don't get how it's anything more than you just giving them a label.

Prowler
05-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Let's see how he does with better offensive line play.

Philliez01
05-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Tony Romo being overrated is because his celebrity outweighs his status amongst the league's best. It's like a horribly poor David Beckham. However, he's not a bad QB.

I do hate when people say "he'll never win you a ring", that's impossible to say. I do see the merit in saying that a legacy can be defined through championships. I get it. But we've seen lesser QBs win Super Bowls than Tony Romo and better ones have won them too.

SickwithIt1010
05-23-2011, 12:48 AM
How exactly do you judge a team being soft? I don't get how it's anything more than you just giving them a label.

I think Wade Phillips kind of gave them that identity. Wade never seemed to have that fire that some of the great coaches have. He was all talk and no walk IMO. I hope it changes with Garrett, because as much as I hate the Cowboys, i just hate watching good football teams waste their talent.

wicket
05-23-2011, 01:31 AM
romo is pretty good but not great or anything like that. The thing with him being his clutchness which isnt terrible but he doesnt throw his best passes with the game on the line.

Only cowboys fans overrate romo and most teams fans overrate their players.

Right now (from heart, might forget someone)
Definately above romo: brees, pmanning, brady, rodgers, rivers, roethlisberger.

Close but i have them over romo: freeman, emanning, vick, shaub

Samish tier: ryan, flacco, bradford,

Ness
05-23-2011, 01:36 AM
The funny thing is that if Romo was on my team this conversation probably wouldn't be taking place right now.

prock
05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I would give an arm and a leg to have Tony Romo on my team...

SickwithIt1010
05-23-2011, 03:00 PM

Ponder will be fine.

the new jesus
09-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I think this thread is relevant right now.

MetSox17
09-18-2011, 04:58 PM
It's relevant cause he probably got hurt again on another free blitzer?

Leon Sandcastle
09-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Jon Kitna Time!

J-Mike88
09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
What is it, broken rib?
Great for my f*ing fantasy team, again!
This bastard.... can't he get hurt late in games when he's racked up points for me?
He killed me last year, now again.

TitanHope
09-18-2011, 05:42 PM

:'(
tenbooadminschars

nepg
09-18-2011, 05:51 PM
How about a few ribs?

MetSox17
09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Romo being clutch.

MetSox17
09-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah, talk **** now, *****.

Jvig43
09-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Nothing he did tonight will overshadow how much dick he chocked blowing the game to the Jets.

MetSox17
09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
That's fine, he can keep "chocking" on that if he plays the rest of the season like he did today.

DMWSackMachine
09-19-2011, 12:31 AM
This was probably the grittiest performance I've seen from Tony since he's been here. One thing that is new this year: he's starting to shed (consciously or otherwise) that "aw-shucks" demeanor he carried with him when he was younger. You don't see all the joking and kidding around and he seems to have more of an edge to him. Almost like he's playing angry, even.

Nice to see....but, to be honest, Dallas has so many points of weakness this year, how well Tony performs will ultimately not matter. Our secondary is trash and we're trying to replace our entire OL on the fly. If we didn't have an insanely explosive set of skill players and a very good front seven, we'd be getting blown out of most games. Instead, we'll have a lot of shoot outs and some crazy back-and-forth performances.

But Romo being over-rated....haha, if he's 2nd to Peyton Manning in ANYTHING, I'll take it.

Ngatachance92
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure if Tony Romo can be called overrated anymore. Every time his name is brought up you have just as many people who think he sucks as those who believe that he is good.

the new jesus
10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Again, Tony Romo is overrated. The guy compiles decent statistics but what has Dallas done with him? He chokes time and time again.

Rosebud
10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Again, Tony Romo is overrated. The guy compiles decent statistics but what has Dallas done with him? He chokes time and time again.

Won the NFC East and gone to the playoffs?

the new jesus
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Won the NFC East and gone to the playoffs?

Oh, so getting to the playoffs with a talented team is a success now. LOL.

Matthew Jones
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Oh, so getting to the playoffs with a talented team is a success now. LOL.

...yes, it is.

D-Unit
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Saying Tony Romo sucks after every loss is overrated.

This is OLD NEWS people. You get no cool points for mentioning this.

the new jesus
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Saying Tony Romo sucks after every loss is overrated.

This is OLD NEWS people. You get no cool points for mentioning this.

Old news has a tendency of becoming current news when it keeps happening over and over again. Tomy Romo sucking, that is.

D-Unit
10-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Old news has a tendency of becoming current news when it keeps happening over and over again. Tomy Romo sucking, that is.

...yeah, that makes sense...

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif

nrk
10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Tony wanted a challenge so he scored some points for Detroit. He gave them too many points however. Tony doesn't believe in the easy way.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Question for the fans here who don't just want to rip Romo for the fun of it, or rip Dallas for the fun of it.

For anyone who thinks the Cowboys can't win with Romo, or/and that they should end the Romo Era and turn the page.

Tell me what the realistic options there are.

The Dolphins just had a list of about 12 QBs they brought in to join them now with Henne out. They all suck.
Remember, the Dolphins about 6 years ago, had their choice of Drew Brees, or anyone else available, to turn their franchize keys over to, and they went with the brutha Culepper.

It ain't easy.

Who else? Who else is, will be better than Romo? Right away.
Will they be better trading for Kyle Orton? Brady Quinn? Matt Flynn? Matt Leinart.

Should they draft Landry Jones? Matt Barkley?
Seriously, both of those guys are crapshoots.

What would you do?
I'd stick with Romo, and try and get him to be more of a game-manager type QB if they ever get ahead by more than 2 TDs again.

TheFinisher
10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Romo has a proven track record of failing when the moment gets too big for him. I don't know if it's a mental thing where he just gets nervous or whatever, but it's to a point now where you have to question if this guy can win you a championship. Every time Cowboys fans start to feel confident in Romo and believe that he's ready to take the next step he follows it up with a performance like this past Sunday. Every time. There is no consistency to his game and to me it's not a coincidence that he's only won one playoff game, the teams that make it through to the Superbowl are usually the ones that play the most consistent. With as much as the Cowboys rely on Romo I just think it's too much to ask him to be consistent for 3 or 4 games in a row against good teams on a playoff stage.

The season will go on and Dallas will get hot again at some point. Everyone will start jumping on the Romo bandwagon thinking "I knew he would figure it out eventually"... and then he'll implode in spectacular fashion on a big stage. Lather, rinse, repeat.

D-Unit
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Romo has a proven track record of failing when the moment gets too big for him. I don't know if it's a mental thing where he just gets nervous or whatever, but it's to a point now where you have to question if this guy can win you a championship. Every time Cowboys fans start to feel confident in Romo and believe that he's ready to take the next step he follows it up with a performance like this past Sunday. Every time. There is no consistency to his game and to me it's not a coincidence that he's only won one playoff game, the teams that make it through to the Superbowl are usually the ones that play the most consistent. With as much as the Cowboys rely on Romo I just think it's too much to ask him to be consistent for 3 or 4 games in a row against good teams on a playoff stage.

The season will go on and Dallas will get hot again at some point. Everyone will start jumping on the Romo bandwagon thinking "I knew he would figure it out eventually"... and then he'll implode in spectacular fashion on a big stage. Lather, rinse, repeat.
He's like Jake Delhomme. The best we got, so we have to deal with it, but he can't deliver. Delhomme went to the SB though, so I'm not saying Romo can't either. It's just that you have to learn to deal with his failures if you're a fan of the Cowboys.

Trogdor
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM

*Sigh* perception equals reality obviously.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3992_Tony_Romo%3A_Choke_Artist_or_Not%3F.html

Don't let facts get in the way of your freight train of opinions though.

CC.SD
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Question for the fans here who don't just want to rip Romo for the fun of it, or rip Dallas for the fun of it.

For anyone who thinks the Cowboys can't win with Romo, or/and that they should end the Romo Era and turn the page.

Tell me what the realistic options there are.

The Dolphins just had a list of about 12 QBs they brought in to join them now with Henne out. They all suck.
Remember, the Dolphins about 6 years ago, had their choice of Drew Brees, or anyone else available, to turn their franchize keys over to, and they went with the brutha Culepper.

It ain't easy.

Who else? Who else is, will be better than Romo? Right away.
Will they be better trading for Kyle Orton? Brady Quinn? Matt Flynn? Matt Leinart.

Should they draft Landry Jones? Matt Barkley?
Seriously, both of those guys are crapshoots.

What would you do?
I'd stick with Romo, and try and get him to be more of a game-manager type QB if they ever get ahead by more than 2 TDs again.

Barkley's not a crapshoot JMike! He'd be unquestioned #1 in a Luckless year.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Cowboys should be thinking about Robert Griffin.

D-Unit
10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Cowboys should be thinking about Robert Griffin.
The fans here certainly are. :D

I'd prefer a trade up for Barkley though. Go all in Jerry!

TheFinisher
10-05-2011, 08:35 PM
*Sigh* perception equals reality obviously.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3992_Tony_Romo%3A_Choke_Artist_or_Not%3F.html

Don't let facts get in the way of your freight train of opinions though.

Yea I've seen that, and the numbers there can make it seem like he doesn't deserve the criticism he receives. However, it's never been about numbers or stats with Romo, it's the dumb mistakes and mental lapses at pivotal points in the game that you need to look at. The fashion in which he commits his turnovers in the 4th are what leave viewers dumbfounded. Not to mention the pattern that he's more prone to doing it on the big stage in high pressure situations. Most of the wins in the article you posted were against teams that were really struggling in those years; Detroit, Buffalo, Kansas City, Washington... they were all picking in the top 5.

J-Mike88
10-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Barkley's not a crapshoot JMike! He'd be unquestioned #1 in a Luckless year.
Again, I've seen higher rated QBs bust.
There are NO sure things.
Peyton was pretty close though.

bucfan12
10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I;m starting to get fed up about all this Cowboys and Tony Romo non-sense. He and the Cowboys are being discussed and analyzed every day of the week it seems whenever I turn on ESPN. I guess it's better than hearing about Mark Sanchez 24/7 though.

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 09:58 PM
I;m starting to get fed up about all this Cowboys and Tony Romo non-sense. He and the Cowboys are being discussed and analyzed every day of the week it seems whenever I turn on ESPN. I guess it's better than hearing about Mark Sanchez 24/7 though.
Stop turning ESPN on when there's not live sports on?

tjsunstein
10-05-2011, 10:13 PM
The fans here certainly are. :D

I'd prefer a trade up for Barkley though. Go all in Jerry!
See that's the thing, they don't need to go all in. They just need someone behind Romo who won't cost them that much, and won't put Romo's job in immediate danger but at the same time could be ready to take over and never look back. Make sense? To move up to get Barkley, they would have to give up picks that could fill other needs. And by the time Barkley is hitting his prime, say three years from now? Austin will be in his 9th year, Newman in his 12th, Ratliff in his 10th, Spears in his 10th, Ware in his 10th, Witten in his 12th... Not necessarily all super stars but guys that would need to be replaced or close to declining.

Although Griffin may be more raw as a prospect, he won't cost that extra second, or next year's 1st or whatever it may take to get Barkley that could go into stocking another position.

The Cowboys aren't a team that needs a fresh start right now, maybe in the future, but they're also a team that could be 2 or 3 right pieces from a Super Bowl contender.

But I guess that depends on how good you think Barkley and Griffin will be at the next level.

D-Unit
10-06-2011, 03:14 AM
See that's the thing, they don't need to go all in. They just need someone behind Romo who won't cost them that much, and won't put Romo's job in immediate danger but at the same time could be ready to take over and never look back. Make sense? To move up to get Barkley, they would have to give up picks that could fill other needs. And by the time Barkley is hitting his prime, say three years from now? Austin will be in his 9th year, Newman in his 12th, Ratliff in his 10th, Spears in his 10th, Ware in his 10th, Witten in his 12th... Not necessarily all super stars but guys that would need to be replaced or close to declining.

Although Griffin may be more raw as a prospect, he won't cost that extra second, or next year's 1st or whatever it may take to get Barkley that could go into stocking another position.

The Cowboys aren't a team that needs a fresh start right now, maybe in the future, but they're also a team that could be 2 or 3 right pieces from a Super Bowl contender.

But I guess that depends on how good you think Barkley and Griffin will be at the next level.
Good point. I actually voiced the same thing on the Cowboys forum a couple weeks ago. I guess I just got excited about Barkley.

Caulibflower
10-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Don't think the Cowboys would have to trade up for Griffin?

Ness
10-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Unless the Cowboys have someone waiting in the wings, they'll have to ride the pine with Tony and see how things go. It's still a long season and things can change quickly. Dallas can still make the playoffs. At least as a wild card. Next offseason they should think about getting a young signal caller to potentially replace Tony and also put him on the hot seat.

tjsunstein
10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Don't think the Cowboys would have to trade up for Griffin?
I see Griffin's peak draft stock hitting the 11-15 range and the Cowboys sit in the 14-17 range if I'm not mistaken. I think they'll be in position to draft him without having to move up.

Trogdor
10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Yea I've seen that, and the numbers there can make it seem like he doesn't deserve the criticism he receives. However, it's never been about numbers or stats with Romo, it's the dumb mistakes and mental lapses at pivotal points in the game that you need to look at. The fashion in which he commits his turnovers in the 4th are what leave viewers dumbfounded. Not to mention the pattern that he's more prone to doing it on the big stage in high pressure situations. Most of the wins in the article you posted were against teams that were really struggling in those years; Detroit, Buffalo, Kansas City, Washington... they were all picking in the top 5.

-_- So you see stats that question your position on the matter and discard them because you FEEL he isn't worthy. "The numbers there..." so using statistics versus perception is an unfair argument? Judging by the volume of work he is merely a media pincushion on bad days and irrelevant on good ones. He is by all individual measures a top 10 QB. If you want to say "what about wins" ... team game. Dallas isn't up by 24 without Romo. I will certainly listen to a tangible argument as to why Romo is a choke artist or why Dallas needs to replace him now but thus far all you have pointed to are opinions and naysayings without backing.

Peyton Manning threw a game-losing INT in the super bowl. He freaking sucks. Tom Brady threw 4 INTs in one game against the Bills. Didn't see every Pats fan jumping off a cliff and proclaiming that Barkley is in their sights. Losing sucks and everyone knows the media coverage in Dallas is absurd but knee-jerk reactions are ridiculous. Crown him king one week and to the gallows the next.

tjsunstein
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Peyton Manning threw a game-losing INT in the super bowl. He freaking sucks. Tom Brady threw 4 INTs in one game against the Bills. Didn't see every Pats fan jumping off a cliff and proclaiming that Barkley is in their sights. Losing sucks and everyone knows the media coverage in Dallas is absurd but knee-jerk reactions are ridiculous. Crown him king one week and to the gallows the next.
Tony Romo is different from the two mentioned because he's the hero or villain each and every week. There hasn't been a game this season that hasn't been won or lost solely because of his play. Romo forces the extreme reaction because of his decisions on the football field. Everyone knows he could win a game in the 4th quarter but those same people know he could just as easily lose it. How comforting is that? That's your guy under center, your franchise QB, and he has a 50/50 shot of coming out on top. I'd like my odds to be better than that.

You give Brady the ball and a 21 point lead, what are the odds of him coming out victorious?

How about Rodgers? Eli? Peyton? Brees? Ryan? Freeman?

Even Mark Sanchez? or Flacco?

Now what about Romo? If they are any higher than the mentioned, it's unjustified. Romo has thrown every single interception of his this season while tied or ahead. When he's behind by one possession, his QB rating is 77.3. These aren't numbers I'm confident in enough to trot Romo on the field. He just shouldn't, and rightfully so, be trusted.

tjsunstein
10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
-_- So you see stats that question your position on the matter and discard them because you FEEL he isn't worthy. "The numbers there..." so using statistics versus perception is an unfair argument? Judging by the volume of work he is merely a media pincushion on bad days and irrelevant on good ones. He is by all individual measures a top 10 QB. If you want to say "what about wins" ... team game. Dallas isn't up by 24 without Romo. I will certainly listen to a tangible argument as to why Romo is a choke artist or why Dallas needs to replace him now but thus far all you have pointed to are opinions and naysayings without backing.

So you resort to your opinion and unwarranted confidence without backing to counter the other opinions and naysayings without backing?

Trogdor
10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
So you resort to your opinion and unwarranted confidence without backing to counter the other opinions and naysayings without backing?

Read the post he was referring to. I posted an article summarizing the entire fallacy that is 'Tony Romo is a choke artist'. If you want to jump on the train at least look where it's headed :)

But for your sake.

Case in point: compare to even Aaron Rodgers and Phillips Rivers Romo compares equally or favorably in the clutch.

Another case: Tony Romo has a historically higher QBR than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Oh. And every other QB not named Phillip Rivers, Steve Young, or Aaron Rodgers.

Feel free to dump on Romo simply because of his risk taking play but stop with the 'not a quality starter' or 'choke artist'. Hence my point about backing up your posts with facts.

tjsunstein
10-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Read the post he was referring to. I posted an article summarizing the entire fallacy that is 'Tony Romo is a choke artist'. If you want to jump on the train at least look where it's headed :)

But for your sake.

Case in point: compare to even Aaron Rodgers and Phillips Rivers Romo compares equally or favorably in the clutch.

Another case: Tony Romo has a historically higher QBR than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Oh. And every other QB not named Phillip Rivers, Steve Young, or Aaron Rodgers.

Feel free to dump on Romo simply because of his risk taking play but stop with the 'not a quality starter' or 'choke artist'. Hence my point about backing up your posts with facts.
Although it's a good article, it's all completely irrelevant to whether or not you think the Cowboys wouldn't be up 24 points without Romo, though.

LonghornsLegend
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I see Griffin's peak draft stock hitting the 11-15 range and the Cowboys sit in the 14-17 range if I'm not mistaken. I think they'll be in position to draft him without having to move up.

I think we'll be close enough where at worse case it would be a 2nd rder thrown in to get him, sign me up for it.

I've said it in the Cowboys thread already, but Romo needs a threat behind him. Draft a guy in the top 15 to be the QBoft and see if he still carelessly tosses the ball around when there is a big chance he gets pulled.

Right now he doesn't have that, it be nice to have to see him fight for his job, or know that if he doesn't correct the turnover issues we'll go onto the next man. I know there are a ton of needs on this team, but RGIII makes a ton of sense for me, and that's even with me knowing Romo can play 2 more years after this season at a high level.

I'd be content with sitting him 2 years if it came to that, don't know that we would though. I've just always felt if you can transition from 1 franchise QB to the next without a drop off then you can worry about filling needs along the way.

J-Mike88
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
How does Griffin's skillset compare to Akili Smith or Josh Johnson?
One was a top-5 pick, the other a 2nd rounder.

elway=goat
10-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I am not a big fan of Romo, but I saw a stat that he has a higher career winning percentage than Aikman. Although Aikman got it done in the playoffs, it does seem Romo get an unfair rap.

Ness
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I've always thought Tony Romo reminded me of a rich man's Aaron Brooks.

TheFinisher
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Do I really need to explain to you why Brady and Manning don't get the same criticism after a bad game as Tony Romo? Come on dude.

Let's do this, you tell me all the signature wins Romo has when the game was on the line and he came through. Make sure they're big games, not come backs against a 2-14 Lions team or a 4-12 Chiefs team like most of the ones from that article. I want must win games with playoff implications, late in the season, big time pressure. I'm heading off the work now so you have some time.

When I get back I'll list all the F'ups he has in similar games and we'll see if he's as clutch as you're making him out to be.