PDA

View Full Version : A Song of Ice and Fire (TV/Book Spoilers)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

fenikz
05-23-2011, 05:04 AM
this show certainly needs its own thread, just finished today's episode the ending was one of the best thing i have ever seen movie or tv

ImBrotherCain
05-23-2011, 07:49 AM
I just got HBO to watch this show. Glad to see it stacks up to the hopes I had. Now i just need to find the time to catch up

j05son
05-23-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't watch much tv but right now I'm keeping up with How I Met Your Mother, Camelot and Game of Thrones.

GoT is really good. I'm actually thinking of reading the books.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Show has been excellent so far but I have not read the books. I sometimes get the families mixed up but I printed something out to help me in that regards.

nepg
05-23-2011, 08:53 AM
there's a wiki with family trees. really helpful for understanding the dynamics (just be careful not to read the spoilers). from people I've talked to who read the books, the series is not disappointing in the least. helps that martin started off as a screenwright.

vidae
05-23-2011, 09:15 AM
The books are really fantastic and the 5th book comes out sometime this year.. in July I think. He hasn't released a book in like 6 years or something so I was thinking about re-reading them all before that. I've been kinda busy lately so we'll see if I can make the time. :(

Damix
05-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Watched the first few episodes, then started reading the book.

I'm pretty amazed at how true it is to the book so far. Hopefully that continues.

btw: is next weeks episode on HBOGo already?

TACKLE
05-23-2011, 11:07 AM
best episode yet. wow.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm pretty amazed at how true it is to the book so far. Hopefully that continues.

I believe so.

FlyingElvis
05-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Having Martin involved seems to have ensured the series follows the books almost exactly. Obviously, as with any book-to-movie title, the book has room for far more information and is by far the better option.

Didnt' watch last night's episode yet - not that it matters much since as the story unfolds I have been easily able to recall the whole thing despite reading it almost a decade ago. (perhaps it is more than a decade . . . don't really want to think about that too hard. lol)

But that fact alone makes me realize how well written the series is. It's not often that even the small details remain after that long. It's only the best stuff that sticks that well.

comahan
05-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Fan-*******-tastic show. Easily my favorite show in the last few years.

Im in the process of reading the book as a result of this show, and I'm actually glad to have seen most of it first. I think its a rare case of it being a good thing to see the show before reading the source material. And I only say that because, as of now, the show has been extremely faithful to the book. And because of that, because they dont take completely different directions with it (so far), Im greatly enjoying all of the extra little details to things that Ive seen on screen, rather than being peeved about the show leaving things out, which is likely what id feel if Id have read the book before seeing the show.

j05son
05-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Yes. The site I use already has it available for download. The quality doesn't appear to be that great though.

fenikz
05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
ya ill be waiting for HD, half of the awesomeness is just the sets and such

StripedWalrus
05-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Really glad to see that you guys are liking this show. I had been waiting for it to come out for a while but at the same time was worried that it would ruin the books for me. Glad they kept close to the books with a few minor discrepancies.

I thought it was interesting that they chose to so blatantly show that Renly and Loras were *** together. The book never outright said they were but always slightly hinted it as a possibility.

TitansCJftw
05-23-2011, 09:44 PM
count me in on this show is badass im about to watch episode 6, also its rated 9.5 on imdb also very impressive

themaninblack
05-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Love it. Always wanted to read the books but never found the time. Still gonna read the books at some point but the show has been fantastic thus far and have no reason to believe it wont continue to be. Sunday nights on HBO are fuckn epic.

nepg
05-24-2011, 12:01 AM
One of the folks I know who is a avid reader and was a huge fan of the books is only slightly disappointed with the show. His beef is with the role the wolves have played in the series thus far compared to their importance in the book series. I have to agree with him on Ep. 6. There was no reason for the two wolves to not be out there with them. That's the first big change from the book (mostly happened because they didn't want to pay for the CGI).

nepg
05-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm going to try to read the books before the 5th comes out.

vidae
05-24-2011, 12:10 AM
I'll definitely have the first four books re-read before the 5th comes out.

XxXdragonXxX
05-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Easily my favorite show on TV right now. Never read the books, or even heard of them for that matter until they decided to make the show.

j05son
05-24-2011, 06:01 AM
ya ill be waiting for HD, half of the awesomeness is just the sets and such

Yeah, I'm waiting as well. Plus I'd rather not wait 2 weeks for a new episode.

Prowler
05-24-2011, 02:29 PM
It has one of the greatest opening credits sequences ever. Love the map. Its like an elder scrolls game opening on crack with a happy ending thrown in for free.

I haven't read any of the books yet. I'll probably blow through them after the season is over. I love how all the hot chicks get naked. Some of the episodes get kinda dense with lore, but they at least reward the viewers' persistence with nudity and blood.

StripedWalrus
05-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Episode 7 Spoiler
It really does suck to watch Eddard get betrayed...reading it was bad enough, but to watch the town watch turn on him really does rub the salt into those wounds.
Episode 7 Spoiler

fenikz
05-25-2011, 05:40 PM
i dont wanna touch that spoiler tag since ep. 7 is out, can people put like ep. 6 spoiler or 7 or something just so you dont accidentally ruin it for someone

StripedWalrus
05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I almost regret watching Episode 7. Now I have to wait nearly 2 weeks for the next episode. I already know what happens and yet I am still worried about what happens next. They are doing great with this show.

Anyone play the Game of Thrones Board game?

nepg
05-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I tried to find Ep7, but couldn't. I really don't mind because it'd suck to have to wait that long for the next one.

There's a board game?!

Nalej
05-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Watched the first two episodes. Diggin it.

nepg
05-25-2011, 11:50 PM
From what I've been told, Episode 6 is the point in the book where the character development tapers a bit, and the story picks up steam and doesn't ever slow down from there.

JRTPlaya21
05-26-2011, 12:07 AM
This show is legit.

Damix
05-26-2011, 08:39 AM
From what I've been told, Episode 6 is the point in the book where the character development tapers a bit, and the story picks up steam and doesn't ever slow down from there.

Yes and no I would say, there is a little bit of a dull right now in the book (where ep 7 is). But it just really picked up now.

StripedWalrus
05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I tried to find Ep7, but couldn't. I really don't mind because it'd suck to have to wait that long for the next one.

There's a board game?!

Indeed there is! Board game, LCG card game...plus a RPG Dungeons and dragons style game too. Also Cyanide is making an RTS and an RPG Computer game as well.

Board game is made by fantasy flight games and I rank it as one of the best Board Games I have ever played.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6472/a-game-of-thrones

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic76993_lg.jpg

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic58386_lg.jpg

vikes_28
05-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I love this show! And what's better is that I can watch it for almost free. Since I work for the cable company in the dakotas and such.

Nalej
05-29-2011, 11:51 PM
So now im officially hooked. Thanks guys!
Just saw episode 7 and I'm now upset i have to wsit another week.
This is why i love box sets.

ImBrotherCain
05-30-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree... I liked the show but I didn't really get into it until episode 6 and now 7.

Must watch show and it looks like its gonna be an interesting few episodes

FlyingElvis
05-31-2011, 08:29 AM
Basically the last two episodes are the run-in to all sorts of chaos to follow. It should be pretty much crazy from here on out. There may be a few story lines that slow the pace but only for a brief portion of any given episode.

Loving it so far, though the psychological depth of each character is wildly undeveloped in comparison to the books. Understandable, but still . . .

nepg
05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Basically the last two episodes are the run-in to all sorts of chaos to follow. It should be pretty much crazy from here on out. There may be a few story lines that slow the pace but only for a brief portion of any given episode.

Loving it so far, though the psychological depth of each character is wildly undeveloped in comparison to the books. Understandable, but still . . .

Tough to do much better with only 10 episodes. If it was a regular season, we'd get much more.

vidae
05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
As a hardcore fan of the books I love how they've done this series so far and I can't wait to see the last few episodes. It's going to be nuts.

FlyingElvis
05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Tough to do much better with only 10 episodes. If it was a regular season, we'd get much more.

I doubt it. I think it's simply a translation to the medium's audience. It's tough to pack in every little detail without destroying the pace of the story.

Damix
05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
As a hardcore fan of the books I love how they've done this series so far and I can't wait to see the last few episodes. It's going to be nuts.

Same here, I thought there was 5 more episodes left, and that would be pushing it time wise.

But now I find out there are 3, there is a lot of info to cover.

fenikz
06-13-2011, 02:16 AM
sweet ******* jesus :(

howcanilose
06-13-2011, 02:59 AM
sweet ******* jesus :(

Right? Don't be disheartened though, this "direction" drives the story even farther. It gets real good.

Though I have read about people getting mad about this and threatening not to watch the show again....

josh07039
06-13-2011, 03:11 AM
For someone who has read the books, at the point where the show is going to about end this season, is it the end of a book or at a random point?

nepg
06-13-2011, 08:44 AM
I knew that was coming, but still :'(

Damix
06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
For someone who has read the books, at the point where the show is going to about end this season, is it the end of a book or at a random point?

Supposed to be a season per book, but they are going to fit a ton of stuff into the next episode. Maybe it is 2 hours?

FlyingElvis
06-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Not really a spoiler but I don't want any crybabies after me. lol
I forgot the dumbass move was pretty much all Joffrey on his own. Cersei had everything going right where she wanted and her little puke of a kid ****** it all up. lol

FlyingElvis
06-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Supposed to be a season per book, but they are going to fit a ton of stuff into the next episode. Maybe it is 2 hours?

If my memory (hazy and spotty, at best) serves, it is all book one this season. But it's been a decade and I'm having a tough time trying to remember what the end point is for next week's episode.

Nalej
06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I didn't read the books so yesterday was a total surprise. Wow! This is amazing.
Are the books worth reading after watching the shows?

FlyingElvis
06-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I didn't read the books so yesterday was a total surprise. Wow! This is amazing.
Are the books worth reading after watching the shows?

Yes. There's always more in the books. There will be plenty of downtime after this season, too. So you can blast through the first 4 books long before the next season starts.

Giantsfan1080
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Well I certainly didn't see that coming last night. Such a great show though. My only complaint is I wish I saw how Robb Stark caught Lannister. For those who read the books can anyone give me some details on that?

Damix
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Well I certainly didn't see that coming last night. Such a great show though. My only complaint is I wish I saw how Robb Stark caught Lannister. For those who read the books can anyone give me some details on that?

I'll keep it in a spoiler tab.

There actually isn't that much for detail about that in the book. Catelyn Tully's uncle had been killing off messengers for Jamie for days so he had no idea how much Robb's force was. The battle is called the "whispering woods." Essentially the Lannister force goes into the woods thinking they are beating a small force then Robb's entire forces comes in from every side encircling them. When Jamie sees the battle is lost he goes straight for Robb, ends up cutting down some of the bannermen's sons (one Kastark I remember, I think a Frey as well) but gets caught before he can get to Robb.

Nalej
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_VSc7neIkh4/Td1rmMhtMZI/AAAAAAAADpg/dj7DlmkgneQ/s1600/A%2BGolden%2BCrown.png

Greatest scene ever?

Or maybe when he ripped that dude's tongue out through his throat? Either way, I hope he survives! Dude's a bad ass

gpngc
06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I knew what was going to happen because one of you ******* assholes spoiled last night's episode for no ******* reason in another thread like a month ago. For what reason I have no idea. To prove you read the book or something. **** you. Easily the worst post ever.

fenikz
06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
who was it lets drag him from our horses naked

XxXdragonXxX
06-13-2011, 11:50 PM
That ending completely shocked me since I've never read the books. I never thought they'd killed off the biggest named actor in the series. I was kind of expecting for them to leave his trial and punishment till the season finale and end the episode with the sword dropping. That's what I'm loving about this show, everything is completely unexpected. Like when Jaime pushed Bran out of the window, and Robert Baratheon being killed by a bore.

This is easily my favorite TV series of all time, it sucks there's only 1 more episode left.

scottyboy
06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
i love this show, sooooo freaking good. must say I was a bit upset at the ending of last episode, but an awesome plot and storyline thus far. Ayara (sp?) the little daughter is awesome, her and Snow are probably my two favorite characters haha

josh07039
06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Im really enjoying this show to such a great extent that I am having a tough time deciding whether to read the books or not. On the one hand I know I will enjoy them but on the other, then I wont be surprised when watching the show. Quite the conundrum. Either way the show is incredible and I felt that this episode hit so many high points that I forgave it for the Dothraki part that seemed to get abit ridiculous for my tastes.

FlyingElvis
06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
i love this show, sooooo freaking good. must say I was a bit upset at the ending of last episode, but an awesome plot and storyline thus far. Ayara (sp?) the little daughter is awesome, her and Snow are probably my two favorite characters haha
Arya & Snow are among the most likeable, that's for sure. Hopefully the show does a bit better with Tyrion. The Imp is an exceptionally well written character, and should be more likable than he seems to be so far.

Im really enjoying this show to such a great extent that I am having a tough time deciding whether to read the books or not. On the one hand I know I will enjoy them but on the other, then I wont be surprised when watching the show. Quite the conundrum. Either way the show is incredible and I felt that this episode hit so many high points that I forgave it for the Dothraki part that seemed to get abit ridiculous for my tastes.

The Dothraki are badass. It needs to be shown. The books will give you more on everyone and are worth the read.

vidae
06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
having read the books, i giggle anytime someone actually starts to like a character... (don't click if you haven't read the series, or you don't like surprises or whatever)

...since he basically kills all of them, usually in the same book that they *become* likable.

Yeah I like that too actually haha.

FlyingElvis
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
It's true.

I just got a nice lol as my coworker asked me if I watched it, and then proceeded to discuss how she may not watch it anymore.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/Heather_Gorman/wahmbulance.jpg

Rosebud
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Still haven't started watching the series but I'm a fan. The other week me and some friends where just hanging out on the porch of my parents house, god I love house sitting for them, and my 15 year old sister was inside watching TV, at one point I look over to see what she's watching and for 5 minutes all I see is 2 completely naked chicks going at it. She turned so red when my friend knocked on the window and gave her an inquisitive shrug. Fortunately I remembered that my folks had just gotten HBO to watch this new show so a quick google search of "New HBO show boobs" explained it, but still. This show has already provided me with plenty of entertainment.

StripedWalrus
06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Arya & Snow are among the most likeable, that's for sure. Hopefully the show does a bit better with Tyrion. The Imp is an exceptionally well written character, and should be more likable than he seems to be so far.

I find Tyrion to be highly Unlikable until Clash Of Kings or possibly later. In the First book I think he is made to be unlikable and they are doing a rather good job in the show of slowly making him more likable. Overall the show is doing a wonderful job of making you like the characters you are supposed to like and hate the ones you are supposed to hate...

My most hated characters in the books are Joffrey, Cersei, Gregor, and Walder Frey. So far the show has done a great job making Joffrey a little twit, Cersei a conniving *****, Gregor a heartless maniac, and Walder an old arse that thinks he's better than any other lord.

I am not going to put this next piece in a spoiler as this should have happened in episode 6-8 and never did happen. I was really perturbed about them leaving something out. On second thought I am going to put it in a spoiler so you can choose to read it or not... It will not actually spoil anything but that is a choice up to you...it is in regards to the Blackfish, Cat's Uncle.

Was really disappointed in the removal of the Blackfish in the actions in the Eyrie. Brynden Tully has always been a favorite character and I thought his defection of Lysa's Armies to join Robb and Cat was rather important in showing that Lysa has gone bat **** crazy. They removed his character from season 1 to cut costs =(.

FlyingElvis
06-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Was really disappointed in the removal of the Blackfish in the actions in the Eyrie. Brynden Tully has always been a favorite character and I thought his defection of Lysa's Armies to join Robb and Cat was rather important in showing that Lysa has gone bat **** crazy. They removed his character from season 1 to cut costs =(.

Interesting. The Blackfish is another of those details I had forgotten.

I thought the Eyrie was grossly neglected but wasn't sure if I had some points wrong from the books b/c it's been so long. Nothing about it came across strongly as it should have, including Tyrion, Crazy Lysa and her son, and some other points. We'll see if it's better depicted in its later role.

StripedWalrus
06-15-2011, 01:02 AM

I thought the Eyrie was grossly neglected but wasn't sure if I had some points wrong from the books b/c it's been so long. Nothing about it came across strongly as it should have, including Tyrion, Crazy Lysa and her son, and some other points. We'll see if it's better depicted in its later role.

I agree with this. But then again I don't recall too much about the Eyrie in the first book. It seems the first book is mainly if not solely whats depicted in the first season. With a little insight here and there from later books. In "Game of Thrones" the Eyrie is of no real consequence other than the fact that Lysa did not bring the Eyrie to join Robb and the banners of the Starks.

vidae
06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I had a guy I know send me a text asking if I was watching Game of Thrones, I said yeah it's awesome and I read the books in highschool and he goes "there are books?!"

:D

nepg
06-20-2011, 02:31 AM
So how ******* long do I have to wait for the next season?! GAWD this is going to be torture.

josh07039
06-20-2011, 02:37 AM
So how ******* long do I have to wait for the next season?! GAWD this is going to be torture.As a standalone episode, I didn't feel like this episode measured up to some of the others, however, as a prelude to Season 2, it was phenomenal. It took every storyline and added a fascinating wrinkle that I am so anxious to see. It makes my decision to not ruin the next seasons by reading the books that much harder....oh well.

On a side note, obviously this is minor compared to the other amazing elements of the show, but I love how comfortable the show is with naked girls, often for no apparent reason. God bless HBO.

nepg
06-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Can someone explain the scene with the old man without spoiling it?

I can't decide if I should read the second book...or if I should just read each book after the season I just watched. Those who have not read the books are kind of stuck in a position where the whole series is exciting, and reading the books could spoil the series.

I read the first few chapters before the series started, and felt it was pretty accurate up to where I read.

wogitalia
06-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Interested to know when it is back... over 6 months and I think I'm buying the books... under 6 months and I can probably wait!

So freaking epic, I love boobies, politics and action so this show is just about perfection... throw in fantasy, dragons and ******* pimp wolves(huskies) and I think perfection has been reached. When the single biggest flaw is the episodes are too short and there aren't enough of them, something was done right!

Caddy
06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Boobs and Dragons in the final scene was sweet

Prowler
06-20-2011, 07:33 AM
http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-season-2-details-production-schedule-mcrid-120008/

Next April....

Nalej
06-20-2011, 10:11 AM

I can't decide if I should read the second book...or if I should just read each book after the season I just watched. Those who have not read the books are kind of stuck in a position where the whole series is exciting, and reading the books could spoil the series.

I read the first few chapters before the series started, and felt it was pretty accurate up to where I read.

Me too. I haven't read the first book though so I'll do that. Not sure if I want to read ahead.

Giantsfan1080
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing as well. I might just read the book corresponding to the season.

StripedWalrus
06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
In regards to Jaqen H'ghar. Doesnt really spoil anything unless you didnt watch the episode.

was Jaqen H'ghar inside the cage Liam Neeson? The scene I am referring to is when Arya is attacked by the fat kid and the other dude...right before that they walk by three caged men. One a bald guy with pointy teeth and another guy who kinda turns and looks at arya...probably isnt Liam Neeson but it damn sure looked like him.

Cigaro
06-20-2011, 03:12 PM

I don't get that, it wasn't in book as far as I remember, and although I've just started, not yet in the second either.

Giantsfan1080
06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
What scene with the old man are you talking about?

Cigaro
06-20-2011, 04:44 PM
What scene with the old man are you talking about?

The old man(one of the advisors) who's talking about kings to the girl, when she leaves, he pops up, walks around, stretches, seems perfectly fit, but before he leaves the room, forces himself back into his hunch-backed walk.

As far as I can recall, that was never in the book.

Giantsfan1080
06-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Ohh ok yeah I was a little confused by that as well. I just took it that he wants everyone to think he's an old man that has sage wisdom when in reality he's in better shape than everyone knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see if there is more to that next year.

etk
06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
I find Tyrion to be highly Unlikable until Clash Of Kings or possibly later. In the First book I think he is made to be unlikable and they are doing a rather good job in the show of slowly making him more likable. Overall the show is doing a wonderful job of making you like the characters you are supposed to like and hate the ones you are supposed to hate...

In both the book and the show, Catelyn is my most hated character. In the book she has the most painfully boring chapters. In the show she's boring and ugly. Her obsession with Bran is weird too.

Arya is by far the coolest and most likable character. I like Jon and Robb too, and Jamie now that I think about it.

The Eyrie chapters are a chore to read. I'm really glad they left most of it out of the show.

StripedWalrus
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
In both the book and the show, Catelyn is my most hated character. In the book she has the most painfully boring chapters. In the show she's boring and ugly. Her obsession with Bran is weird too.

Arya is by far the coolest and most likable character. I like Jon and Robb too, and Jamie now that I think about it.

The Eyrie chapters are a chore to read. I'm really glad they left most of it out of the show.

My most favorite characters... well at least the ones you guys have seen in the show so far are Jon, Arya, Tyrion and Eddard.

in later books my favorite characters are

Jon, Arya, Davos, Samwell, Aerys Oakheart (though only brief) Tyrion, Blackfish and of Jaime becomes less hated.

The Eyrie Chapters are a bit dull but just as important as any other chapters in getting a whole picture of whats going on.

nepg
06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I mark out for Peter Dinklage no matter the situation... Best midget actor ever.

StripedWalrus
06-20-2011, 11:22 PM
jon was always my favorite character.

i mean, especially after everyone else died.

True statement right here. Tis a shame that everyone dies...but thats just the way it is. Martin likes to do that to us...

In that article that was posted in this thread there was another link to another article stating how a bunch of people complained to HBO because a certain favorite character had died...and they were saying they would never watch HBO again. So HBO is going to put that popular character in some flashbacks or something just to appease them... seriously people are pussies!

ImBrotherCain
06-21-2011, 07:06 AM
In that article that was posted in this thread there was another link to another article stating how a bunch of people complained to HBO because a certain favorite character had died...and they were saying they would never watch HBO again. So HBO is going to put that popular character in some flashbacks or something just to appease them... seriously people are pussies!

Its a ******* book... If they die in the books they should die in the show. Quick everyone write a letter to the author so we can bring back Eddard Stark (Whited out for spoiler).

Oh wait i have one better quick lets write all the Textbook creators then maybe we can stop the Holocaust or Lincoln's assassination.

Holy **** I lose faith in people after stuff like this... Who becomes so attached to a fictional character after 10 hours anyhow.

Damix
06-21-2011, 07:21 AM
There are plenty of flashbacks anyway, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Arya and Bran often refer to things that Ned tells them. Also Jamie Lannister has the flashback when he kills the King and Ned is in that. Might be more, I've just started the third book

StripedWalrus
06-21-2011, 11:21 AM
There are plenty of flashbacks anyway, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Arya and Bran often refer to things that Ned tells them. Also Jamie Lannister has the flashback when he kills the King and Ned is in that. Might be more, I've just started the third book

I think their were planned flashbacks from the get go but the complaints from HBO viewers will make them make more just so that the character in question will be seen more often.

nepg
06-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't know... Does anyone think it was a mistake to cast Sean Bean in that role because of what a presence he brings to the screen?

josh07039
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know... Does anyone think it was a mistake to cast Sean Bean in that role because of what a presence he brings to the screen?
Nope........

vidae
06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
No, not at all. Sean Bean, no matter how little we saw/are going to see of him, was perfect casting in my mind.

Nalej
06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I agree. S.Bean was a perfect cast. Did such a great job.
I wish his character was currently alive but I won't complain about his casting bc of it

StripedWalrus
06-21-2011, 10:29 PM

I think they picked a perfect Eddard with Sean Bean. I love Sean Bean In the TV series Sharpe. Which if you havnt seen you may want to check it out because it is awesome. Sean did a great job of making you love Eddard just like the book did. That is why he is perfect.

XxXdragonXxX
06-21-2011, 11:48 PM
I think they picked a perfect Eddard with Sean Bean. I love Sean Bean In the TV series Sharpe. Which if you havnt seen you may want to check it out because it is awesome. Sean did a great job of making you love Eddard just like the book did. That is why he is perfect.

Yeah I think it was a great casting because it gets the audience pissed off that Eddard is dead. Some people might stop watching or whatever, but alot of people will just get more emotionally involved in the show and wanting the Starks to get their revenge.

Also for the first time in the series, Sansa made me like her. Shes been such a stuck up ***** and I just hated her. But that scene where she tells Joffrey 'maybe Robb will bring her his head'...awesome.

Nalej
06-21-2011, 11:54 PM
“I will put a son in you after you bleed, which mother says is not far off”

Greatest pick up line or what?

and

0HqdSjdtPAQ

Awesome. I miss Khal :(

StripedWalrus
06-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah I think it was a great casting because it gets the audience pissed off that Eddard is dead. Some people might stop watching or whatever, but alot of people will just get more emotionally involved in the show and wanting the Starks to get their revenge.

Also for the first time in the series, Sansa made me like her. Shes been such a stuck up ***** and I just hated her. But that scene where she tells Joffrey 'maybe Robb will bring her his head'...awesome.

Sansa really does come off as a twat early on...but I suppose you kinda have to look at it through her eyes. She is a teenager who is a bit rebellious and wants to marry the future King. She is a naive about it all, but then again so was Ned. The Starks are not very good when it comes to playing the "Game of Thrones". Then again, no one really is.

One that I am growing fonder of in the Show, but not so much in the book is Varys. That may be because when first reading A Song of Ice and Fire he comes off as a minor character but watching the show and getting refreshed on it all he is part of it all.

Prowler
06-24-2011, 11:54 AM
http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/117/1178494/game-of-thrones-20110623031126706.gif

Rabscuttle
06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Supposed to be a GoT marathon on HBO Friday evening for others like me that missed some early episodes. HBO may not hit with every project they undertake, but they are the only network that has consistantly been bringing something to their lineup that I actually don't want to miss.

DoughBoy
07-01-2011, 11:39 AM
This show is so ******* good, just started watching all the episodes yesterday and finished today. Sucks about Eddard (Bean was perfect for that role) but as long as Jon, Tyrion and Arya are alive I'm alright.

StripedWalrus
07-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Dance with Dragons is now out!!!!!!!

Rosebud
07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
So yeah, this show's awesome. Just finished it, time to start re watching.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 10:52 PM
So yeah, this show's awesome. Just finished it, time to start re watching.
Just finished it myself. Awesome storyline... expected a little more action.

Can't believe Jason Mamoa died like that. Forget what his name is. He was bad ass.

thefalconer
08-03-2011, 01:05 AM
xkptadiDABo

cgi has come a long way. and just hearing the awesome score gives me such chills.

sbh15
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
i finished the whole first season with my brothers over 2 days. this show is ******* awesome. can't wait for season 2 with the... dragons

Cigaro
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
i finished the whole first season with my brothers over 2 days. this show is ******* awesome. can't wait for season 2 with the... dragons

Don't expect much from them in season two.

StripedWalrus
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Don't expect much from them in season two.

Yea you'll prolly be waiting until 5 and maybe even 6 to see much of em.

Nalej
08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Yea you'll prolly be waiting until 5 and maybe even 6 to see much of em.

Episodes or seasons?

StripedWalrus
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Episodes or seasons?

Seasons....so thats about 4 or 5 years from now...and thats if Martin writes at least 1 book every 2 years and if they make that many seasons.

etk
08-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll believe it when I see it (A Storm of Swords on TV). I don't know how they can produce that on a TV budget.

FlyingElvis
08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Seasons....so thats about 4 or 5 years from now...and thats if Martin writes at least 1 book every 2 years and if they make that many seasons.

Book 5 just came out and book 6 is (supposedly) the final volume.

Damix
08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I'll believe it when I see it (A Storm of Swords on TV). I don't know how they can produce that on a TV budget.

They need to split that thing into 2 seasons. So much happens.

Damix
08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Book 5 just came out and book 6 is (supposedly) the final volume.

There is supposed to be 2 more books after the 5th I thought.

Cigaro
08-05-2011, 08:37 AM
There will be seven novels.

Cigaro
08-05-2011, 08:39 AM

It will be interesting. They cut Tyrion's battle from the show, but no way they can cut the Battle of the Blackwater.

FlyingElvis
08-05-2011, 08:42 AM
There is supposed to be 2 more books after the 5th I thought.

There will be seven novels.

See? That ****** already bumped it.

;)

Damix
08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
It will be interesting. They cut Tyrion's battle from the show, but no way they can cut the Battle of the Blackwater.

Book 3 spoiler
Agreed, they really can't cut that thing out, I'm trying to think of places they can cut but nothing comes to mind. Red wedding has to be a pretty long scene as well.

etk
08-05-2011, 11:13 PM

GRRM is set to write that episode, and it's named after the name of the battle!

Book 3 spoiler
Agreed, they really can't cut that thing out, I'm trying to think of places they can cut but nothing comes to mind. Red wedding has to be a pretty long scene as well.

They've already spoken at length about how much they dread having to film that scene. I might've been wrong about my original stance because HBO said they learned their losses from cutting off Rome early and won't make the same mistake twice. The 2nd season would really have to bomb for them to end it there. The question is really "how will they structure aSoS for TV?

It's not a foregone conclusion that there will be 7 books. There's a lot off speculation that there will be 8.

StripedWalrus
08-06-2011, 09:19 AM

They've already spoken at length about how much they dread having to film that scene. I might've been wrong about my original stance because HBO said they learned their losses from cutting off Rome early and won't make the same mistake twice. The 2nd season would really have to bomb for them to end it there. The question is really "how will they structure aSoS for TV?

It's not a foregone conclusion that there will be 7 books. There's a lot off speculation that there will be 8.

After reading the 5th book I don't see how he can get the story done in two more. I just hope he doesnt go the way of Terry GOodkind and make 11 books that get really bad at number 7 or so.

Nalej
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I haven't read the books...

"We have dragons, we have direwolves growing, we have massive battles. Despite the various character deaths, we have a growing cast of characters."

Read more: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/06/games-of-thrones-season-2-scoop-dragons-battles-to-come/#ixzz1UTwu11RQ

... I thought the dragons won't be around til season/book 5? Are they going to skip stuff from the book then?

Cigaro
08-08-2011, 06:16 PM

... I thought the dragons won't be around til season/book 5? Are they going to skip stuff from the book then?

Well the dragons are part of the second book, they just don't affect the story much. Perhaps that's all that was meant, they were included(the statement sounds more geared towards those who didn't read the books).

etk
08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Well the dragons are part of the second book, they just don't affect the story much. Perhaps that's all that was meant, they were included(the statement sounds more geared towards those who didn't read the books).

??? Dany's entire plot line is based around the dragons in aFfC. They'll be on camera a lot and talked about a lot but there's only 1 scene where they actually do anything, which is understandable considering their youth.

by they I mean Drogon only

Cigaro
08-08-2011, 09:06 PM
??? Dany's entire plot line is based around the dragons in aFfC. They'll be on camera a lot and talked about a lot but there's only 1 scene where they actually do anything, which is understandable considering their youth.

by they I mean Drogon only

That's what I meant.

davidholes
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
And I only say that because, as of now, the show has been extremely faithful to the book.

FlyingElvis
08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
After reading the 5th book I don't see how he can get the story done in two more. I just hope he doesnt go the way of Terry GOodkind and make 11 books that get really bad at number 7 or so.

Exactly my concern. Too many of these guys turn awesome stories into rambling nonsense instead of wrapping it up in 6 or 7 books. I haven't even bothered checking on the wheel of time in years b/c it became so unreadable I just didn't care when the next book would be released.

As others have said, their involvement is minimal.

FlyingElvis
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
speaking of wot, you should check out the last two. the story finally stopped sucking.

Because the original author died and someone else wrote them?

*shrug*

lol

Maybe I will pick it back up, as I've already read through all but one of the terrible clunkers Jordan wrote. IDK, 800+ pages for "Knife of Dreams" will probably just renew my desire to punch babies.

FlyingElvis
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Well then, the important question is: do you skip Knife of Dreams?

j05son
08-09-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg

wouldn't watch at work...

killxswitch
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Exactly my concern. Too many of these guys turn awesome stories into rambling nonsense instead of wrapping it up in 6 or 7 books. I haven't even bothered checking on the wheel of time in years b/c it became so unreadable I just didn't care when the next book would be released.

Just in case you're interested, Jordan died a few years ago and Brandon Sanderson has taken up writing the rest of the series using Jordan's notes. Jordan's widow was always his editor and is still editing the series.

I don't know what book you stopped at, but for me the series got really bad around book 7. You could probably just online read chapter summaries of 7-10 and start reading at book 11 again. I think Jordan realized he had wasted everyone's time in 7-10 and was trying to right the ship. Not as good as the first 6, but way better than 7-10. He died before he could write 12 so Sanderson wrote 12 and 13. And they are SO GOOD.

Seriously, Sanderson has injected life and joy back into that series. The final book is due out in March 2012.

edit: I started typing this about 6 hours ago and just never posted it, so if this has already been discussed I apologize.

thefalconer
08-30-2011, 09:06 PM
lengthy interview with the writers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss about emmy nominations, the plethora of sex, and talks about upcoming seasons.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/29/david-benioff-d-b-weiss-discuss-game-of-thrones-season-2-more.html

they revealed that the third book would be split into two seasons if HBO decides to extend the show.

vidae
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Not sure when this turned into a WoT debate, but I am not a fan of Sandersons writing -at all- and I probably never will be.

CC.SD
08-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey so I just finished Dance with Dragons

and am very sad. You know why.

killxswitch
08-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Not sure when this turned into a WoT debate, but I am not a fan of Sandersons writing -at all- and I probably never will be.

Compared to the snorefests of books 7-10 (or is it 11?) his writing is about 1000x better. They're not as good as books 1-5, about on par with 6, and his tone is a little too modern, but you can't expect him to write exactly like Jordan.

rockio42
08-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Just got a signed copy of ADwD by George R.R. Martin yesterday! Glad to see a threat for this show, I've been posted on here for 4 years and never figured that anyone else would be a big fan of the series as well....

rockio42
08-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Martin is writing/directing that one particular episode of Season 2.

StripedWalrus
08-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Don't be sad I have a theory, that prolly isnt true, but if it is!

etk
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Don't be sad I have a theory, that prolly isnt true, but if it is!

You know nothing if you think Jon is actually dead. His character is only gonna grow from this point on, likely into the most important one in the series

CC.SD
09-02-2011, 03:20 PM
You know nothing if you think Jon is actually dead. His character is only gonna grow from this point on, likely into the most important one in the series

I agree, still completely on board with Jon actually being Rhaegar/Lyanna-spawn. But I don't know, it took basically an entire second book for me to start believing Ned wasn't coming back too.

Do either of you have any thoughts on the latest Kingsguard member, I have a theory or two but a certain disembodied skull in Dorne kind of ***** with it.

Rosebud
09-02-2011, 07:22 PM
This thread and recently lending a friend a copy of the books I'm reminded that The Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny would make such a badass HBO Show or movie if it had the budget to do the courts of chaos and amber well enough.

Damix
09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree, still completely on board with Jon actually being Rhaegar/Lyanna-spawn. But I don't know, it took basically an entire second book for me to start believing Ned wasn't coming back too.

Do either of you have any thoughts on the latest Kingsguard member, I have a theory or two but a certain disembodied skull in Dorne kind of ***** with it.

The Mountain that Rides is such an obvious choice that I have to feel it is someone else. Everything makes it feel like its a character we know though, so it has to be him right? Who else is 8ft tall?

Ronken
09-03-2011, 01:24 AM
I don't watch much tv but right now I'm keeping up with How I Met Your Mother, Camelot and Game of Thrones.

Cheap Gucci Shoes (http://www.buyguccishop.com/)
US Polo Shirts for Men (http://www.wholesalepolonow.com/mens-rl-us-polo-shirts-c-38.html/)
Cheap Jordan Shoes (http://www.sportsshoesforsale.com/air-jordan-shoes-c-170.html/)
Asics Shoes Cheap (http://www.sportsshoesforsale.com/asics-shoes-c-60.html/)

StripedWalrus
09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
The Mountain that Rides is such an obvious choice that I have to feel it is someone else. Everything makes it feel like its a character we know though, so it has to be him right? Who else is 8ft tall?

I had no doubts in my mind that Gregor is this abomination that they Qyburn has created in the dungeons. Cersei gave Gregor to Qyburn to work on after he was poisoned so i see no reason it isnt him.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
So uhh I'm bumping this. I'm a little into book 4 now, I started reading them so I could watch the show(I always like books better than shows/movies but knew I wouldn't be able to read a thousand pages if I knew everything that happened). And to me, after reading it, the show was a little underwhelming. It was still a very good show, but it just has to do with movies/shows never being able to do the books full justice. It was good for putting a face to everyone as I read, though. The books, so far, are fantastic. I've heard the 4th and 5th(especially the 5th) are kinda lame, but books 1-3 are insane. So for anyone debating it, I would strongly recommend reading the books. Skip the first one if you have to, but it is definitely worth it imo.

killxswitch
09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Don't skip the first one. It's too good. I am halfway through book 3. I slogged through all 13 books of the Wheel of Time so I have a hard time believing books 4 and 5 are THAT bad.

09-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Don't skip the first one. It's too good. I am halfway through book 3. I slogged through all 13 books of the Wheel of Time so I have a hard time believing books 4 and 5 are THAT bad.

Book 3 is my favourite. Enjoy that one.

09-27-2011, 12:36 AM
frqB1snSYms

Super exciting promo for season 2! Looks like a lot of cool stuff is going to be in there.

killxswitch
09-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Looking forward to it, but isn't it still like a year away from coming back on?

TACKLE
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I`m bumping this because I haven`t watched the new ep yet and am terrified of spoilers every time I go into the TV thread.

brat316
04-01-2012, 10:29 PM
books 2 and 3 i flew threw they were soooo good, given i skipped some things like how they dressed and what they ate and how they planned a wedding, but Ahh Mazing.

book 4 i just can't get through it, I have no motivation to read it.

Bulldogs
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Episode was great. You'll like it TACKLE.

Vikes99ej
04-01-2012, 10:40 PM
So which kingdom is Stannis trying to rule? Who is he trying to take over for?

brat316
04-01-2012, 10:45 PM

haven't seen the episode yet, but according to the book.
the 7 kingdoms...be the king of errthing. Take over for his brother, the fat man, since he thinks he should be right full heir, he knows about the gold hair children.

703SKINS202
04-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I thought tonight's episode was amazing. Really sets the stage for the second season which is shaping up to be a battle of knowledge vs power.

A Perfect Score
04-01-2012, 11:13 PM
What an awesome premiere. I'm so excited for the rest of the season.

vidae
04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I could have sworn there was a GoT thread but I didn't see it. Awesome episode. Can't wait for next week.

A Perfect Score
04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
If you need to contextualize the episode for anyone, it ended on a baby killing rampage. That's all you need to know.

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
If you need to contextualize the episode for anyone, it ended on a baby killing rampage. That's all you need to know.
Killing all them bastards

Grizzlegom
04-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Good episode. The baby killing made me sick, was really hard to watch that part but other than that I thought it was great!

A Perfect Score
04-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Killing all them bastards

They need to eliminate the evidence!

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 07:43 AM
i think after the reading the books i realize how much faster the show is paced.

A Perfect Score
04-02-2012, 07:56 AM
I plan on reading the books after Season 2 is over. I don't really have the time now, but I'm anxious to get into them this summer after Season 2 wraps up. I figure thats as good a time as any to start reading.

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 08:01 AM
You really really need to start with book one. I did find it hard to get through the first one after i basically knew every cliffhanger, but you get to know the different characters soooo much better through reading it

A Perfect Score
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
You really really need to start with book one. I did find it hard to get through the first one after i basically knew every cliffhanger, but you get to know the different characters soooo much better through reading it

Yeah I meant I'll start on Book 1 after Season 2. I don't want the rest of this season spoiled, so I plan on waiting. I'm also toying with the idea of waiting until the entire series is done, just because my friends who have read the book said you don't really miss much on the show and the production value is through the roof.

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 08:12 AM
i feel like you do miss a whole bunch. i can only say: Read the books.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 08:17 AM
You absolutely miss a lot if you don't read the books. The books are hundreds of pages long. The show is great and I am looking forward to watching season 2 but it's impossible to capture everything or even most things from a book series like this.

FlyingElvis
04-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Solid premeire. As always, I was pissed off when it was over b/c I wanted to watch more.

bhaarat's right. Joff and Tommen are not righful heirs so the eldest brother of King Robert has the strongest claim to the throne, and that's Stannis. Renli is the younger brother of the bunch but he's also claiming right to the throne b/c Stannis is basically a stick in the mud and nobody likes him. lol

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
i've not been watching the shows since the first one or two, but are they matching up each season to a single book, or not matching up at all, or something else i haven't thought of?

I think each season = 1 book. Not sure they'll be able to keep up with that though.

FlyingElvis
04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Season one was book one but I don't know if the pace will pick up heading into season two.

scottyboy
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
khaleesi is so ******* hot

brat316
04-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Season one was book one but I don't know if the pace will pick up heading into season two.

it shouldn't, since book 2 and 3 are very long and detailed, also the last 2 books are not written yet.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
it shouldn't, since book 2 and 3 are very long and detailed, also the last 2 books are not written yet.

Yeah. I don't think they can keep up with everything. It makes sense that they just named the TV series "Game of Thrones" rather than locking themselves into 1 book per season. The storylines diverge too much after the first book.

TimD
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
khaleesi is so ******* hot

i think i said i love her every time she was on the screen. so amazing

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 09:01 AM
They will apparently use some scenes from book 3 already in this season and some scenes from book 2 in season 3. Also they will split book 3 into two seasons.

What has been missing alot was the dynamic between Sansa and the Hound. I feel like that was the biggest thing i took away from book1 that wasnt in the series.

FlyingElvis
04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I know they had some elements in season one that were from later books. Nothing huge and it sounds like they'll continue basically doing it in a time frame they think will translate best to a 10 show season. So we will may still see the relationship w/Sansa and the Hound since they made it a point to show the exchange between her and Tyrion in episode one.

Book 3 is being discussed as 2 seasons b/c there's just so much there. Let's hope they make it that far! Here's a solid article (interview w/the writer/producers (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/30/game-of-thrones-showrunners-season-2/)) that explains it all pretty well.

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Well him talking to her all the time, e.g. telling her how he got the scar was pretty huge for me that got left out. in the show it as littlefinger telling the story.

Razor
04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Is this something that I should watch? It starts tomorrow over here and the trailer looks kinda interesting. A friend of mine have been telling me to watch it for some months now but I wasn't sure it was worth my time..

brat316
04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
watch season 1, read book 1, watch season 2, read book 2. or some order like that, but make sure to read the book.

I tried re watching the season after reading, i couldn't get into it again, cause the book was that good.

vidae
04-02-2012, 10:03 AM
If you have the time you should definitely read the books. It's the best fantasy series of all time and it isn't close at all. George R R Martin is a fantastic writer.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
If you have the time you should definitely read the books. It's the best fantasy series of all time and it isn't close at all. George R R Martin is a fantastic writer.

I wouldn't go that far. I like Wheel of Time, and the new stuff Brandon Sanderson is writing is also very good. Martin is a grittier writer but that is a stylistic choice. I wouldn't call it better, just different.

vidae
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't go that far. I like Wheel of Time, and the new stuff Brandon Sanderson is writing is also very good. Martin is a grittier writer but that is a stylistic choice. I wouldn't call it better, just different.

I'd call it better. I've read Sanderson and Jordan. Jordan might be the most infuriating writer of all time. He takes five pages to explain something that can be done in one. It's a great way to paint a picture in your mind, but 10+ books of that is just flat out ANNOYING.

Sanderson is the new kid on the block and he is very talented. Mistborn is a great series and easy to pick up and read, and I've heard nothing but good things about his new series Stormlight Archive.

I'm also not a fan of a series where NO ONE DIES. It isn't realistic.

All of that said, neither of them touch George R R Martin. At least for me.

I'm just glad you didn't include Terry Goodkind. We would have had to resort to fisticuffs.

wogitalia
04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I hear what you are saying... but Tolkein is the greatest fantasy writer, period.

I really do need to read GoT though, wish I had more free time!

brat316
04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Its called A song of Ice and Fire

Razor
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I have to say that the fantasy genre has a tough time keeping me entertained. But perhaps this is different.. I'll start by watching the first episode and take it from there.. Thanks guys.

Gay Ork Wang
04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I hear what you are saying... but Tolkein is the greatest fantasy writer, period.

All i say is: No.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I'd call it better. I've read Sanderson and Jordan. Jordan might be the most infuriating writer of all time. He takes five pages to explain something that can be done in one. It's a great way to paint a picture in your mind, but 10+ books of that is just flat out ANNOYING.

Sanderson is the new kid on the block and he is very talented. Mistborn is a great series and easy to pick up and read, and I've heard nothing but good things about his new series Stormlight Archive.

I'm also not a fan of a series where NO ONE DIES. It isn't realistic.

All of that said, neither of them touch George R R Martin. At least for me.

I'm just glad you didn't include Terry Goodkind. We would have had to resort to fisticuffs.

I agree that Jordan got pretty bad in his later books. I am kind of glad he died before he finished the books because books 6 and 11 are hard to read, and 7-10 were unbearable. I don't know how I got through 7-10. I remember one chapter in book 10 where the character didn't even leave her tent. She just sat there thinking about stuff the entire time. That was the whole chapter: a woman sitting in a tent thinking about dumb ****. I think that entire book, which was probably more than 700 pages, only covered a 2 week span of time. Ridiculous.

Sanderson I think is new enough that you can't classify him. He killed off a pretty important character in Mistborn, and I don't use "will the author kill important people" as a main factor when rating a book. I read the first book of the Stormlight Archive and it was incredible. The big problem is that I will probably be in my 50s by the time he's done with it.

I read the Sword of Truth series. It was ok. His battle descriptions were entertaining. But a lot of it was really stupid, and he pretty obviously stole a lot of his ideas from the Wheel of Time. And once he started putting Ayn Rand ******** into the plot it got really bad.

Damn I sound like a complete dork. I haven't even read a book in probably a year.

I have to say that the fantasy genre has a tough time keeping me entertained. But perhaps this is different.. I'll start by watching the first episode and take it from there.. Thanks guys.

As far as "fantasy" there isn't much fantasy at all, especially in the first season. It is basically a medieval story set in a fictional world. Not much magic, if any. I can't remember right now but it's not a bunch of wizards and witches flying around on brooms and magic carpets.

FlyingElvis
04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
It's about the same as a GOAT QB discussion. There are a few that can be supported in the discussion.

Personally, my childhood spent reading Tolkein and C.S. Lewis will keep them near the top of the list. But Martin is a clear favorite if you're gripe w/fantasy is the lack of realism; specifically death, sex, and much wider gray areas of morality.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
It's about the same as a GOAT QB discussion. There are a few that can be supported in the discussion.

Personally, my childhood spent reading Tolkein and C.S. Lewis will keep them near the top of the list. But Martin is a clear favorite if you're gripe w/fantasy is the lack of realism; specifically death, sex, and much wider gray areas of morality.

I'm not sure Martin's world has that much gray area. It's not even right vs. wrong so much as multiple groups wanting power for themselves. If you take a step back, once that one important character dies in the first book (or first season if you're only watching the show), there aren't any particularly "good" characters. Just people driven by desire for power or revenge or both. Which I suppose does make it a lot more realistic.

brat316
04-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Book 4 is useless, it probably could have been combined with book 5. Still have to finish 4.

vidae
04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree that Jordan got pretty bad in his later books. I am kind of glad he died before he finished the books because books 6 and 11 are hard to read, and 7-10 were unbearable. I don't know how I got through 7-10. I remember one chapter in book 10 where the character didn't even leave her tent. She just sat there thinking about stuff the entire time. That was the whole chapter: a woman sitting in a tent thinking about dumb ****. I think that entire book, which was probably more than 700 pages, only covered a 2 week span of time. Ridiculous.

Sanderson I think is new enough that you can't classify him. He killed off a pretty important character in Mistborn, and I don't use "will the author kill important people" as a main factor when rating a book. I read the first book of the Stormlight Archive and it was incredible. The big problem is that I will probably be in my 50s by the time he's done with it.

I read the Sword of Truth series. It was ok. His battle descriptions were entertaining. But a lot of it was really stupid, and he pretty obviously stole a lot of his ideas from the Wheel of Time. And once he started putting Ayn Rand ******** into the plot it got really bad.

Damn I sound like a complete dork. I haven't even read a book in probably a year.

My biggest problem with Goodkind is his rampant use of deus ex machina. Oh no, we can't win.. but wait, now we can, because I remembered or thought of something that would work INSTANTLY!

I'd rather read books 5-10 of Wheel of Time for the rest of my life than read a single book of Sword of Truth again.

And I agree about the Stormlight Archive series. It's going to suck because he said it'll be something like a 10 book series. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably get through it all, but I will be pretty damn old by the time he's finished.

Tolkein will always have a special place in my heart, but it's hard for me to go back and read his stuff now. After reading Martin, and more specifically Glen Cook, it's hard for me to read the older fantasy stuff.

Speaking of Glen Cook, if you haven't read his Black Company series, you should DEFINITELY check it out. It's a really great series and it's unlike most of the fantasy stuff out there. The first three books are his best, but the first six are worth reading. They're basically two different trilogies.

Vox Populi
04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Don't read the spoiler if you haven't read all of the books unless you're interested in speculation-ish stuff about the future of the series.

ADWD might have seemed weaker than it otherwise would have to a lot of readers because Martin had to cut two huge battle scenes out of it and push them into tWoW (Book 6). His editor made the call because the book would have been even longer than aSoS.

So tWoW will pretty much right away start with the battle of Mereen (through Tyrion, Victarion and Barristan) and Winterfell (through Stannis and Theon) taking place simultaneously, and will feature Aegon attacking Stormsend not too far into the book as well based on the Arianne chapter that was already released.

tWoW will also inevitably involve Jaime and Brienne going to do something with Lady Stoneheart which should be interesting. Cersei's trial (more than likely to be decided in a trial of 7 melee) should be pretty bad ass as well. If you don't know what that might be like, read the Dunk & Egg novellas set ~90ish years before ASOIAF in Westeros.

Bran can basically time travel through trees now so he can at least provide insight into some cool stuff, but probably not have much of a direct affect on anything unless he can legitimately talk through the trees.

The Arya, Sansa, Davos and Dany chapters have some legwork to do before they do anything really interesting right now.

And as far as Jon goes, I really don't think he is dead forever. At the very least he will 100% do what Varamyr did in the prologue chapter where he "warged" into his (wolf?), so Jon would do that with Ghost. Alternatively, and more drastically, he could somehow be resurrected by Melisandre and her magic, or somehow have his corpse restored and then warg back into it from Ghost, but I won't make any guarantees beyond him living on as Ghost. A lot of chaos will be going on at the Wall probably as well so any Jon or Melisandre chapter should be interesting as well.

aDwD and aFfC were an 11 year trap for Martin that he struggled to work through, but right now his only real obstacle is getting Dany to Westeros, which in my opinion will happen basically right after the battle of Mereen. She'll probably end up bringing a lot of the Dothraki with her as well considering where she is right now as well.

Rosebud
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
While I really love this show...This thread is upsetting in the lack of Chronicles of Amber mentions for greatest fantasy series of all time. Roger Zelasny is amazing.

EDIT: Speaking Zelasny and Martin, anyone read any of the Wild Cards books?

nepg
04-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Tolkien takes forever to get to the point. I don't think he's particularly good/great, just very wordy (dude, I know what a ******* tree looks like, you don't need to describe every single one the characters walk by) and the world he created is pretty cool. All he really has going for him, in my mind, is a cool world.

You could chop down each of the Tolkien books by at least 25% by getting rid of all of the filler and fluff words and the books wouldn't lose anything. ****, they might be even better if you did that.

Caddy
04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Any other Skins fans enjoying the presence of not one, but two former cast members?

Nalej
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Just saw the premier. Awesome. Excited for Sunday night!

XxXdragonXxX
04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I get so angry every time an episode ends, I just want it to go on forever.

This is easily the best show on TV in my opinion.

Caddy
04-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Anyone catch the pre-air episode 2 yet? I don't know whether to wait or not...

FlyingElvis
04-03-2012, 09:25 AM
pre-air? I don't even watch the previews of the next episode when the show ends. lol

Razor
04-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Alright, I just watched the first two episode and this looks really good. It's still difficult to keep track of who everyone is and their relations but I can't wait for when I have the time to watch the next episode.

nepg
04-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Alright, I just watched the first two episode and this looks really good. It's still difficult to keep track of who everyone is and their relations but I can't wait for when I have the time to watch the next episode.
I sometimes go to a got wiki after an episode to get clarification.

brat316
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
read the books to know everything.

But wiki is good, they have tree diagrams.

Vox Populi
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
The 2nd episode got leaked by the way. I won't post about it for a bit since I'm guessing no one else has seen it yet.

Prowler
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
and if they wanted to watch it, there is a device called google. it has a search engine that people can type "game of thrones s02e02" in to it.

or I guess HBO.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Are you guys talking about the 1st season or did the 2nd start up?

Prowler
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
2nd season started this past Sunday at 9pm and the 2nd episode was/is? available on HBO Go already.

killxswitch
04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
How graphic was the baby killing in the first episode? I know it happens, I've read the books, and violence doesn't usually bother me, but violence towards little kids and babies bothers me a lot more now that I'm a dad.

Prowler
04-03-2012, 03:31 PM
its pretty much off camera. they show them holding the baby and the knife, but there are no open wounds or anything like that.

brat316
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
awww thats not how the mountain did it.

Vox Populi
04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
awww thats not how the mountain did it.

If the show went into much of what Gregor did/does the show wouldn't be allowed on television.

brat316
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
If the show went into much of what Gregor did/does the show wouldn't be allowed on television.

Its HBO, not FX.

Razor
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
watch season 1, read book 1, watch season 2, read book 2. or some order like that, but make sure to read the book.

I tried re watching the season after reading, i couldn't get into it again, cause the book was that good.

I just ordered volumes 1-4 so I'm definitely going to read the books. I think I might read 2-4 before watching the show just because I don't like reading what I already no but don't mind watching stuff I know.. I'm weird, I know... Anyways, 6 shows into season one and I'm hooked. This is so much better than anything else - including LOTR.

killxswitch
04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Its HBO, not FX.

I'm pretty sure you just can't show detailed shots of smashing baby heads into walls anywhere.

A Perfect Score
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty sure you just can't show detailed shots of smashing baby heads into walls anywhere.

It is frowned upon.

Second episode of Season 2 was just as good as the first. I'm so ******* excited for the rest of this season, my roommate and I just ordered HBO so we can watch it.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I just finishes episode 3 of season 1. I like it so far. I like Spartacus more but maybe because I'm Greek lol. Spartacus just has more action and power in my opinion, and ancient rome/gladiator times are so much better and more bad ass than medieval times for me.

Oh and I can't wait for this blond queen ***** to get her throat cut. I have been reading the summaries of the books on wikipedia and it seems that she outwits a lot of people and takes over... so I probably won't see her get killed for a while. But when she does... ahhhh. It will be better than Naevia killing Ashur in Spartacus.

brat316
04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I liked season 1 of Spartacus, I haven't seen 2 really.

Vikes99ej
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure after episode two that Game of Thrones is just a fantasy porno. At least things are falling into place now.

Wootylicous
04-04-2012, 06:07 PM
What the crap! I'm at episode 9

The prince is a ******* prick

Prowler
04-04-2012, 06:12 PM
He has one of my favorite lines though, something like, "when you have your first blood, I'll put a son in you."

Its right up there with Tyrion's two:

"In my own bed, at age 80. With a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my ****."

aYaRarg9Fy4

"I made the bald man cry, into the turtle stew..."
KHx-kita75Y

Wootylicous
04-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah Tyrion is awesomeness

I'm talking the other little blond guy I want him dead!

nepg
04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
read the books to know everything.

But wiki is good, they have tree diagrams.
I forgot which one and am too lazy to find it, but there's a wiki that explains what each character did in each episode without spoiling it (as long as you've seen the show up until that point). It's great. I didn't get a chance to watch Season 1 before Season 2 started, so I was super-grateful for that one.

Ngatachance92
04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
How graphic was the baby killing in the first episode? I know it happens, I've read the books, and violence doesn't usually bother me, but violence towards little kids and babies bothers me a lot more now that I'm a dad.

I was kind of hoping it would be a little more graphic. It's a show, they are not actually slaughtering a baby in that scene.

thefalconer
04-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I was kind of hoping it would be a little more graphic. It's a show, they are not actually slaughtering a baby in that scene.

spartacus is for you.

killxswitch
04-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Simulated g*y sex scenes aren't real g*y sex either, but that doesn't mean I want to watch one.

Ngatachance92
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Simulated g*y sex scenes aren't real g*y sex either, but that doesn't mean I want to watch one.

Point taken.

Ngatachance92
04-04-2012, 08:49 PM
spartacus is for you.

I watch that too, I just hate when they do something in a show but don't show it. I understand when they cut away from violence on standard cable, but on HBO I want to see baby guts.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
I will give Game of Thrones credit for having the bad guys get a lot of success. I'm only on episode 5 but it is definitely bold as most shows just go for a happy ending, while this show really pisses you off and makes you want to keep watching to see if they finally get caught, but they don't. At least not yet.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
spartacus is for you.

Spartacus is bold, and gets to the point. There are politics but it's not as boring and drawn out as Game of Thrones, and the politics in Spartacus are funny and a lot more clever. I like the show so far but it's not in Spartacus' class in my opinion. I admit I am a bit biased, but Spartacus is so epic it's not even fair. The picture is also much nicer as well. You can also like the characters in Spartacus way more than you can like any of them in Game of Thrones.

Spartacus is the ****. If you haven't watched it, find it online and don't move from your computer screen for two days. You'll thank me when you're done.

Bulldogs
04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Game of Thrones > Spartacus from somebody who watches both.

Ngatachance92
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM

There's sooooooooo much more going on in Game of Thrones than there is in Spartacus. While I love watching the Gore in Spartacus, Game Of Thrones is far and away the better show imo.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Not even close for me. Spartacus is so much better. I think the people who like a more "sophisticated" show gravitate to Game of Thrones, but Spartacus is so much more entertaining.

The battles a way better, the women are way hotter, and it's all around more fun to watch. Plus, Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Ashur, Illythia, and Lucretia are all so much better characters than anyone in Game of Thrones.

There's sooooooooo much more going on in Game of Thrones than there is in Spartacus. While I love watching the Gore in Spartacus, Game Of Thrones is far and away the better show imo.

Exactly what I meant when I said people who like a more sophisticated show. To just sit back and enjoy, Spartacus is so much better, and that's what I look for in a show. It's a lot more than blood and gore come on now.

Wootylicous
04-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Game of Thrones rape Sparcatus.

Nalej
04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
GoT's too legit to quit

brat316
04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Not even close for me. Spartacus is so much better. I think the people who like a more "sophisticated" show gravitate to Game of Thrones, but Spartacus is so much more entertaining.

The battles a way better, the women are way hotter, and it's all around more fun to watch. Plus, Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Ashur, Illythia, and Lucretia are all so much better characters than anyone in Game of Thrones.

Exactly what I meant when I said people who like a more sophisticated show. To just sit back and enjoy, Spartacus is so much better, and that's what I look for in a show. It's a lot more than blood and gore come on now.

simpleton.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
simpleton.

Nothing wrong with that. :cj:

Brothgar
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
spartacus is for you.

I love Sartacus too! Game of Thrones, Spartacus and Rome are all extremely awesome.

fenikz
04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
ugh gtfo out of here with that spartacus ****, GoT is soooo much better

Vox Populi
04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Plus, Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Ashur, Illythia, and Lucretia are all so much better characters than anyone in Game of Thrones.

What? Is this a joke?

and the politics in Spartacus are funny and a lot more clever

You're on what, episode 3? So cute. Please don't post in this thread about this stuff unless you at least watch all of season 1, and if you read all of the books you wouldn't even dream of posting anything like this. You have no idea what you're talking about and comparing 3 episodes to the ~21 episodes of Spartacus.

Ngatachance92
04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
The wee little Lanister is better than every character in Spartacus combined.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Ok ok, I'm on episode 6 now and it is getting pretty good. Still love Spartacus though.

Brothgar
04-05-2012, 12:02 AM
The wee little Lanister is better than every character in Spartacus combined.

I love Spartacus but this is 100% truth and everyone knows it.

Brothgar
04-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Spartacus does have naked Katrina Law though.

Ngatachance92
04-05-2012, 12:12 AM

Well yes, but that means that google does as well.

CDCB14
04-05-2012, 12:36 AM

Viva Bianca and Ellen Hollman are sexy as hell too. Saxa is going to be a thing of beauty next season. Gannicus is probably gonna start railing that out.

CDCB14
04-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Oh and any gladiator worth **** would destroy anyone in Game of Thrones. **** Jaime Lannister. I would love to watch him beg for his life on his knees in front of Gannicus.

brat316
04-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Spartucs is straight forward, GOT has a lot more complexity, the characters on GOT are deeper and complex.

killxswitch
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Stop bitching about how you don't like Game of Thrones. You're in the wrong thread if that is how you feel. This is a thread to talk about GOT, not Spartacus. Go start a Spartacus thread if you want to talk about it. This is a simple concept.

I just caught up with the two latest episodes. I forgot how much of a little shithead Theon becomes as soon as he leaves the North.

Wootylicous
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
jon is not that bad

vidae
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Jon Snow is pretty much a badass.

killxswitch
04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
i feel like ned was the only character who didn't almost instantly suck as soon as he left. maybe i just really hated robb. i guess arya was ok, though she might've gotten worse in the last book.

I think Ned's wife, whatshername, is the one that became the most unbearably stupid and obnoxious.

Gay Ork Wang
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Catherine is the worst character ever

killxswitch
04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Catherine is the worst character ever

YES. Her. She is terrible. I hate how she is so meddling and stubborn but always so wrong and stupid about everything.

Brothgar
04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Stop bitching about how you don't like Game of Thrones. You're in the wrong thread if that is how you feel. This is a thread to talk about GOT, not Spartacus. Go start a Spartacus thread if you want to talk about it. This is a simple concept.

I just caught up with the two latest episodes. I forgot how much of a little shithead Theon becomes as soon as he leaves the North.

I wonder how he would react to The Walking Dead Thread :/

On a similar note. If details happen in the books (its bound to happen) and not yet in the show could spoiler tags be used please.

cmarq83
04-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Oh and any gladiator worth **** would destroy anyone in Game of Thrones. **** Jaime Lannister. I would love to watch him beg for his life on his knees in front of Gannicus.

Obviously this guy hasn't seen the Khal Drogo scene yet.

brat316
04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
god i hated her. though she did finally get one thing right.

meh, he was all right, then he got whiny, then he was all right, then

he died like everyone else.

Cat can't talk no more, thank GOD

Giantsfan1080
04-05-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't come into this thread because I'm afraid of spoilers. Are you guys discussing just the show or the books also?

killxswitch
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't come into this thread because I'm afraid of spoilers. Are you guys discussing just the show or the books also?

There is definitely some book discussion but I think most of us try to keep it vague or only discuss what has already happened in the show. Though I haven't read books 4 or 5 yet so I think I just spoilerized myself by opening one of njx's comments. Not a huge surprise though I guess.