PDA

View Full Version : Could teams be sending playbooks to their players?

whatadai
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I was reading this article about the Raiders...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=89273

And how Campbell received a playbook and he's distributing it to the rest of the team and then I thought about how this helps the Raiders get a leg up on everyone for next season and maybe they can go 10-6 at least.

But I got to thinking...even though Campbell said he got the playbook during that short temporary lift of the stay...how do we really know he didn't get it during the lockout? Could other teams also be sending playbooks to their players that are still under contract? Cause they would just deny when they received it. Even if they admitted to not getting a playbook to their rookies...a player under contract could have gotten the playbook "during the lift" and "passed it on." Just wondering if you guys think this could be happening...and if it is...do you think its league-wide with all the teams?

PackerLegend
05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Im sure all teams are not exactly following the rules... All 1st round picks should have the playbook becuase the lockout was lifted at that point. After that the lockout was put back in place so none of the other rookies would have had a chance to get it. But im sure alot of them found a way to get it. They could just get like a copy or something off the players who already did have it and that wouldnt be breaking any rules. Or a coach could have got it to them one way or another. I dont even see why itd be such a big deal and if you never get caught then there is nothing to worry at all about.

niel89
05-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Teams aren't just giving them directly to players but those players who have them are copying them and getting them to other guys. Any player who wants one is going to get one someway somehow.

fenikz
05-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Cardinals have been practicing for like 2 months now it would shock me if they didnt all have playbooks

nobodyinparticular
05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Really, it would be absolutely ridiculous if every team didn't distribute playbooks to every player on the team as well as enough playbooks to get to any rookies out there as well. The lockout was lifted on a Monday and reinstated on a Friday.

Even assuming you had to have an intern go out and make copies of the playbooks (which screams ill-preparedness), the whole copying and packing process should take no more than 12 hours. Then allow a whole hour to load up the boxes and get them to the nearest Fedex and you're done in 13 hours. The NFL was entirely prepared for the lockout to be re-instated. The coaches definitely should have been prepared for that as well. If they weren't, shame on them.

FUNBUNCHER
05-23-2011, 07:57 PM
If an NFL GM can't figure out a way to get its playbook to rookies and vets during a lockout, they're in the wrong business.

NFL teams bend the rules regarding player personnel all the time. Smuggling playbooks during a lockout is strictly amateur stuff IMO.

XxXdragonXxX
05-23-2011, 08:06 PM
When the lockout was lifted, alot of teams mailed out playbooks. Hasselbeck didnt get one from the team but I read that he got one from another player.

bored of education
05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I wonder if Justin Houston went to his DC at UGA for a play book since it is the same exact play book that Romeo Crennel has, or damn near close to it

fenikz
05-23-2011, 08:57 PM
When the lockout was lifted, alot of teams mailed out playbooks. Hasselbeck didnt get one from the team but I read that he got one from another player.

i guess thats good for what ever team he signs with, just not smart for seattle, now someone else has their playbook

BlindSite
05-24-2011, 04:07 AM
They might not be doing it above the table but I can garantee you most players who don't have any major issues with the coaching staff or front office are already giving play books to people one way or another.

OzTitan
05-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Who right now would even be policing the stuff meant to be off limits during a lockout. Ok, there may not be a team holding actual official practices but stuff like playbooks is a lot easier to do. One can assume the NFL will eventually come back and therefore it's in everyone's best interests this stuff happens behind the scenes and noone's best interest to expose anything.

Shane P. Hallam
05-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Who right now would even be policing the stuff meant to be off limits during a lockout.

The NFL offices are, they have already investigated coaches talking to players and what not.

Iamcanadian
06-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Jim Saturday, OC Indy, said during the pre draft discussions that every rookie would get a copy of their team's playbook one way or another. Their veteran teammates would make sure of it.

Jughead10
06-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Jim Saturday, OC Indy, said during the pre draft discussions that every rookie would get a copy of their team's playbook one way or another. Their veteran teammates would make sure of it.

And there is nothing wrong with that. They have them. At least least the previous years playbook. Why shouldn't they make copies and distribute them to the rookies? The interesting thing will be with teams with new coaching staffs. They will be at a disadvantage whenever the league resumes.

Bengalsrocket
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
And there is nothing wrong with that. They have them. At least least the previous years playbook. Why shouldn't they make copies and distribute them to the rookies? The interesting thing will be with teams with new coaching staffs. They will be at a disadvantage whenever the league resumes.

As it's been stated before, I'll reiterate. Even teams with new coaching staffs have their playbook available as well. All it takes to "legally" have a playbook in every player's hands is to give at least 1 copy to any player on a team, and have him copy it and distribute it amongst his teammates.

Seeing as how we've had at least 1 (maybe more, haven't paid much attention) point where the lock out was lifted, every player should have a playbook.

With all that being said though, I don't think knowing the play book is the hard part of playing football. The lack of practice, specifically practicing with the guys you'll be playing with, has to be the most damaging part of the lock out.

Even the teams that are running player assembled practices probably are not doing themselves any real good (they probably take breaks whenever they want or slack off. Doubtful they're giving 100% and even if they are, they're not always being corrected on the mistakes they're making).