PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me, Or Does Aldon Smith Look Incredibly Stiff?

jack1077
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I know the guy looks like he was cut out of rock, but when watching him even without pads on, his hips are not fluid at all. He doesn't wiggle and rely's on speed to beat the edge. I remember watching this training video of fairley and Smith going up against Cannon (before we found out he would be attending the cancer ward) and Sapp was coaching them. Sapp was pointing out exactly what i saw when i watched Mizzou. Sapp kept saying to get lower and shuffle his feet more. Smith kept trying but just looked completely baffled. Maybe i'm just missing it but he looks a lot more like Vernon Gholston than Julius Peppers. Just my two cents. Correct me if you feel i'm wrong.

bored of education
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
maybe you are right in this thread, the others not so much sir

jack1077
05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
maybe you are right in this thread, the others not so much sir

Ahhhhh my computer ****** up. kept saying it wasn't posting anything but then bam, like 8 post came. Hope someone deletes them, i don't know how.

bored of education
05-23-2011, 08:28 PM
control alt delete shift page down f12 all at once usually works for me

jack1077
05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Anyway, back to Smith. For the 7th overall selection, it was a big reach. I remember watching him and thinking, "i wouldn't touch him in the 2nd round let alone top 15"

phlysac
05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
I know the guy looks like he was cut out of rock, but when watching him even without pads on, his hips are not fluid at all. He doesn't wiggle and rely's on speed to beat the edge. I remember watching this training video of fairley and Smith going up against Cannon (before we found out he would be attending the cancer ward) and Sapp was coaching them. Sapp was pointing out exactly what i saw when i watched Mizzou. Sapp kept saying to get lower and shuffle his feet more. Smith kept trying but just looked completely baffled. Maybe i'm just missing it but he looks a lot more like Vernon Gholston than Julius Peppers. Just my two cents. Correct me if you feel i'm wrong.

I hope you're not judging prospects by what you saw on Game Changers. Even if you did, what you saw was Sapp correcting Smith's habit of wasting a step and momentum into his opposition.

However, saying that Aldon Smith "relies on speed to beat the edge" just doesn't seem accurate. He has pretty active hands for a Sophomore and got a great amount of his pressure along the interior of the line.

HawkEye30
05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Hahaha like 10 threads

jack1077
05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I hope you're not judging prospects by what you saw on Game Changers. Even if you did, what you saw was Sapp correcting Smith's habit of wasting a step and momentum into his opposition.

However, saying that Aldon Smith "relies on speed to beat the edge" just doesn't seem accurate. He has pretty active hands for a Sophomore and got a great amount of his pressure along the interior of the line.

I agree that his use of his hands is good, but when you watch his hips, they are not where they should be. When you watch peppers, he flips them slightly and the rest of his body is doing something different to his hips. It allows him to get lower and bend. I don't see Smith bending much at all.

phlysac
05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I agree that his use of his hands is good, but when you watch his hips, they aren't not where they should be. When you watch peppers, he flips them slightly and the rest of his body is doing something different to his hips. It allows him to get lower and bend. I don't see Smith bending much at all.

Smith does play too-high alot. Trent Baalke admits it himself. But it's also a big jump to compare a RS Soph's hips to a 9-year pro/perennial Pro-Bowler.

jack1077
05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Smith does play too-high alot. Trent Baalke admits it himself. But it's also a big jump to compare a RS Soph's hips to a 9-year pro/perennial Pro-Bowler.

I agree but its the idea of what Peppers is trying to do. To me at least, it looks like Smith stands up when he comes to the line and runs very straight lineish. He almost looks like a beefed up WR trying to rush.

armageddon
05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Aldon Smith is pure beast.

nikkayeah
05-23-2011, 09:36 PM
in most of his highlights on youtube, he was playing on a broken leg.

SativaDominant
05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
I agree but its the idea of what Peppers is trying to do. To me at least, it looks like Smith stands up when he comes to the line and runs very straight lineish. He almost looks like a beefed up WR trying to rush.

You're not incorrect in your observation...he definitely has flexibility issues. Its not the end of the world, but its concerning for an OLB because he's going to be rushing from a wider edge than he did in college and, which requires hip flexibility in order to bend the pocket.

He's not all that disimilar to a guy like Justin Tuck coming out. Tuck went in the third round for a reason, though, most notbaly because of hip flexibility. That being said, I think 4-3 DE would be a much better natural fit for him provided he increases his upper body strength. His inside rush moves are his most effective.

jack1077
05-23-2011, 10:17 PM
You're not incorrect in your observation...he definitely has flexibility issues. Its not the end of the world, but its concerning for an OLB because he's going to be rushing from a wider edge than he did in college and, which requires hip flexibility in order to bend the pocket.

He's not all that disimilar to a guy like Justin Tuck coming out. Tuck went in the third round for a reason, though, most notbaly because of hip flexibility. That being said, I think 4-3 DE would be a much better natural fit for him provided he increases his upper body strength. His inside rush moves are his most effective.

If wants to play a hand in the dirt DE he needs to gain about 20-30 pounds. When you look at his frame, he really could be bulked up even more. He is so lean for what he weighs.

armageddon
05-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Aldon Smith = Javon Kearse clone

FUNBUNCHER
05-23-2011, 11:10 PM

Kearse ran a 4.4 when he came out and he wasn't 270# either like Aldon Smith.

phlysac
05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Kearse ran a 4.4 when he came out and he wasn't 270# either like Aldon Smith.

Just nitpicking but his Combine 40 time was 4.58 and times seemed to be a hair faster at the old RCA Dome. His 4.43 was hand-timed at his ProDay.

I don't buy the comparison all that well but based on Combine numbers alone...

Kearse - 6'4" 262lbs 4.58 40
Smith - 6'4" 263lbs 4.78 40

49ersfan_87
05-23-2011, 11:28 PM

I've heard DeMarcus Ware (by Warren Sapp) and Terell Suggs (can't remember who). Don't know how accurate those are, maybe those are LOLworthy, just passing it along.

phlysac
05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
I've heard DeMarcus Ware (by Warren Sapp) and Terell Suggs (can't remember who). Don't know how accurate those are, maybe those are LOLworthy, just passing it along.

49ers' GM Trent Baalke mentioned DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, and Bryce Paup when breaking down film of Aldon Smith.

niel89
05-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Is it just me, or does Aldon Smith make you incredibly stiff?

the natural
05-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I can guarantee you there is no one at Missouri who thought that Aldon should have been taken ahead of Blaine Gabbert. That is completely baffling.

phlysac
05-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I can guarantee you there is no one at Missouri who thought that Aldon should have been taken ahead of Blaine Gabbert. That is completely baffling.

That is a pretty broad and bold generalization without anything concrete to substaniate it.

armageddon
05-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Aldon had a broken foot and he was still always in the backfield. His edge rushing skills are insane. I don't like him as a 3-4 DE or OLB. He should be a 4-3 DE like Quinn.

descendency
05-24-2011, 08:30 AM
DE (pass rusher) has the highest bust rate for any position. From what I saw out of the Big 12's OL, I wouldn't have drafted a big 12 pass rusher.

I wouldn't have drafted him 7th. I don't know what I would have done in SFs case, but Aldon Smith wasn't it.

domingo
05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Aldon Smith in 2009 up until the Illinois game n 2010 was a completely different player from the post injury player through 2010. The million dollar question is, how much did the injury effect his combine performance? It effected his overall play in 2010, his burst and his flexibility. Was he completely healed by the combine or not?

Re-watch the 2009 Mizzou vs Colorado game. Aldon Smith is about as flexible as a snake in that game

SimonRath
05-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Anyway, back to Smith. For the 7th overall selection, it was a big reach. I remember watching him and thinking, "i wouldn't touch him in the 2nd round let alone top 15"

why da **** wouldnt you touch him in the 2nd round?

Rabscuttle
05-24-2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyDrwMkV-c

Some nice bend on a couple of sacks there, plus some serious abuse of Nate Solder. Needs to play lower more consistently though. Having inside options is going to help him a lot.

TACKLE
05-24-2011, 05:44 PM
In response to the OP, no it is not just you.

onejayhawk
05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I have never been a fan of Aldon Smith as an elite player. His Combine numbers are grim. The $Million is how much did he lose to the injury, and how much he will get back.

J

phlysac
05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
His Combine numbers are grim.

Care to be more specific? He was far from the classic "workout worrier" but it's not like any of his numbers were terribly ranked in this year's class.

PossibleCabbage
05-24-2011, 10:38 PM
San Francisco is a 3-4 team right? Do they really plan to play Aldon Smith as an OLB, since I can't be sure whether or not he can play but I'd be really nervous about playing him in space.

nikkayeah
05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
here you guys can see for yourself why the niners picked aldon smith. trent baalke explains his reasons for picking him to the media.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Organized-Media-Activities-Aldon-Smith/e27149bd-c2fb-454b-958a-2a6c45a83bd4

phlysac
05-25-2011, 08:57 AM
San Francisco is a 3-4 team right? Do they really plan to play Aldon Smith as an OLB, since I can't be sure whether or not he can play but I'd be really nervous about playing him in space.

Here are some direct quotes from Trent Baalke relating to that...
What we ask of them, on their feet as "droppers" is very limited. So you're not looking, when you're talking about a 3-4 Outside Linebacker, he doesn't have to be a great "cover-guy" out in space, he's gotta be "functional." Y'know? We feel that Aldon has the physical traits necessary to be "functional."
I think his "stiffness" is gonna show up more when he's off-the-ball than it is when he's moving forward. Just like it did with a guy like Willie McGinest. Y'know? Just like it did with Adalius Thomas. He's more than a "straight-line" athlete. Y'know? It's to what level of "stiffness" are we talking about? And does it impair his ability to do the job that he's being asked to do? Do I think his "stiffness" is gonna impair his ability to do the job that he's being coached to do? No, I don't! I think he's going to develop fine.
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Organized-Media-Activities-Aldon-Smith/e27149bd-c2fb-454b-958a-2a6c45a83bd4

jnew76
05-25-2011, 02:47 PM
As a huge Missouri fan and alumni I have seen almost every snap of his college career I have the following evaluation of Smith -

Positives -

1. Naturally disruptive hands - Aldon has big strong hands that are active and functional. Combined with long arms, he creates separation and space between himself and blockers. He is able to shed blockers while simultaneously diagnosing the play, enabling him to take the best angle to the ball. IMO, the most overlooked part of Smith's game was his run defense. His ability to shed blocks with his hands made him an asset rather than a liability against the run.

2. Closing Burst and Initial quickness - Not extremely sudden off the line, but has the initial quickness get into and past linemen when needed. Once past the line Smith has a special burst that closes the gap between the passer/runner in a heartbeat.

3. Natural Strength - Smith overcame a lack of polish and technique with incredible natural strength and above average athleticism. He was able to consistently create push and collapse the pocket from both the outside and inside, sometimes against much bigger opponents.

4. Instincts - Naturally instinctive, Smith takes great angles to the ball carrier and/or quarterback. Rare in a RS Soph, Smith was rarely out of control or out of position in his career. Not often fooled by misdirection or play action. Breaks down well and is a sure tackler.

5. Effort/Work Ethic - Smith never took plays off in college. He gives constant effort, often well down the field. He is relentless through the whistle every play

Negatives -

1. Pad level/Leverage - Elite NFL tackles and guards are bigger and more importantly stronger than those he played against. They will be able to neutralize Smith when he plays too high. Smith exposes too much of his body to blockers. NFL Linemen will be able to handle him for the most part until he improves.

2. Not an elite athlete - Smith is not a Julius Peppers or Jevon Kearse athletically. While he had superior athleticism for the college level, he will find it a much more even playing field in the NFL.

3. Lack of pass rush moves - Not near a finished product - Smith will need to add some variety to his game in order to succeed. He is not especially creative in setting up linemen or countering if initially defeated

4. Lack of agility and lateral quickness - Change of direction is not sudden or fluid. Has some stiffness in the hips for sure... Has been able to counter this with his aforementioned instincts and proper angles in college... Remains to be seen if he will be able to do so in the NFL.

JaxJag_1
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
This thread title = That's what she said

bucfan12
05-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I think Smith is a great football player, but I thought it was a terrible fit for him to go to the 49ers. I compared him to Simeon Rice, a strictly 4-3 RDE.

I thought Robert Quinn was a better fit there at 7, because he reminds me of Ware, and can translate to 3-4 OLB. Smith I don't see being successful there.

GaMeTiMe
05-26-2011, 03:18 AM
I honestly think Aldon Smith will be one of the busts from this class. I'm not saying that to pick on the Niners, I hope he succeeds because I like his upside, but he also has such a great bust rate and went to the wrong team.

Smith over Quinn will probably be one of the things we face palm about in a few years.

jack1077
05-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I honestly think Aldon Smith will be one of the busts from this class. I'm not saying that to pick on the Niners, I hope he succeeds because I like his upside, but he also has such a great bust rate and went to the wrong team.

Smith over Quinn will probably be one of the things we face palm about in a few years.

I agree. I think Quinn is a superior talent. But i guess, he didn't play last year which may have affected their decision. Plus, by not playing it throws into question his character, say what you want about Smith, he seems like a decent guy and hard worker.

jack1077
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
This thread title = That's what she said

Yeah you did.

jack1077
05-26-2011, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyDrwMkV-c

Some nice bend on a couple of sacks there, plus some serious abuse of Nate Solder. Needs to play lower more consistently though. Having inside options is going to help him a lot.

Love the block attempt at 14 seconds in. hahaha.

phlysac
05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I understand the love for Robert Quinn but even Quinn's college coach Butch Davis said that 4-3 DE was "clearly" his best position. It's not as if there is video evidence that Robert Quinn will be better in space than Aldon Smith.

VAfy-ya
05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I think Smith is a great football player, but I thought it was a terrible fit for him to go to the 49ers. I compared him to Simeon Rice, a strictly 4-3 RDE.

I thought Robert Quinn was a better fit there at 7, because he reminds me of Ware, and can translate to 3-4 OLB. Smith I don't see being successful there.

I don't see Quinn as a better fit. You look at their triangle numbers and their agility is pretty much even. You turn on the tape and you saw two very instinctive pass-rusher with no elite physical traits. Smith is younger, and has shown to have great passion for the game, coming back 3 weeks early from a broken bone in his leg and playing at less than 100% the rest of the season. High character guy, with a enromous wingspan. Quinn is older, coming off a lost college season where his character has been question. Wasn't the physical freak during workouts he was made out to be and the brain tumor didn't help matters. No doubt in mind, Smith was the better choice at #7. Fangio had alot of say in this pick and he really liked the kid and Wade Phillips pretty much confirmed the Texans wanted him with their pick. That's two of better 3-4 coaches in the business that really coveted this guy. I'll take their judgement over most.

As far as Smith at the pro-level, his stiffness causes some concern but I believe he can compensate for it once he learns proper technique, improves pad level, and trains his feet to get upfield sooner rather than later. He'll probably add on 10 more pounds while improving on his functional strength and quickness off the snap, while incoperating more pass-rush moves into his aresenal. I see him becoming a more athletic version of Tamba Hali. I'll take that at #7 overall.

YAYareaRB
05-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Jeez.. Solder was gettin his ass whooped