PDA

View Full Version : Russell Shepard, WR, LSU

shylo3716
05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Very agile player, more quick than fast. Will be very effective in LSU's offense, I expect plenty of packages this year with reverses/trick plays. Although listed at 6'0'' 188 he was a former 5-Star QB #2 overall on the HS level, that came to the realization of his potential to make the switch full-time at wideout. He is not your typical deep theat guy, but he is a dynamic player out of the slot, with all the things he can do going across the middle making defenders miss.

http://media.nola.com/lsu_impact/photo/russell-shepardjpg-9082b3efe6d93d18_large.jpg

Big Bird
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Here is what I said about Shepard coming out of High School (my 5th rated Quarterback overall)
-To say Russell Shepard is an explosive athlete is quite the understatement. Russell has very good speed and shows good elusiveness in the open field. He displays good vision as a runner and fights hard for extra yards. Russell is very raw as a passer though. He has a solid arm and has flashes where he displays good confidence, accuracy, and ball placement, but is a bit erratic overall. Russell doesn’t always properly set his feet and doesn’t square up to his receivers well on the run. He seems to always be looking to run first, granted he is very good at it though. If he wants to make an impact as a passer, he is going to need a lot of development. Could start at Quarterback at the next level though and be a solid all-around threat.

I was pretty much telling myself the whole time he would be a better Receiver, but LSU seemed fairly committed to him being a Quarterback during recruitment and as a Freshman. He really emerged last season though and he has immense talent. Need to continue to refine his game.

Duffman57
05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Could be a VERY similar player to Randal Cobb with that same type of explosiveness and such.

San Diego Chicken
05-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Both Shepard and Reuben Randle are guys who are definitely on the NFL radar but are being held back by lackluster QB play at LSU. Randle especially has everything you look for in a #1 except for the top shelf production.

shylo3716
05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Here is what I said about Shepard coming out of High School (my 5th rated Quarterback overall)

I was pretty much telling myself the whole time he would be a better Receiver, but LSU seemed fairly committed to him being a Quarterback during recruitment and as a Freshman. He really emerged last season though and he has immense talent. Need to continue to refine his game.

I think he is better suited for WR anyway. Throughout his whole highlight film I seen on youtube all he did was RUN! He did not show that he could be a pocket passer at all.

BuddyCHRIST
05-26-2011, 12:21 AM
I feel like he was always projected to move to WR, tons of great athletes play QB in HS. Thats why many services had him listed as an Ath.

He's still more of an athlete than a WR, you'd like to see him run an actual route tree. LSU just seems to try to get the ball in his hands, though he's not quite as electric as he could be. Seems like a very poor mans Percy Harvin right now, though he could take it up a level.