PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Lattimore vs Trent Richardson

dannyz
05-27-2011, 10:16 PM
A couple of People and Me were discussing who is the Better RB. What are your guys thought's? I was also thinking that let's say both have Great Years this Year and if both were in the 2012 NFL Draft (I know Marcus Lattimore is not Eligible) Who would get Drafted First?

Cigaro
05-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Trent. If not for he'll test better. But when they're both in the pros, I can easily see Lattimore being just as good as Trent, assuming we don't run him ragged.

ellsy82
05-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Lattimore has insane vision. I'd admit, I haven't watched Richardson as much as I'd like, but he never stuck out to me last year like Latty did. My bet's on Lattimore.

Pat Sims 90
05-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Richardson i still think would go ahead of Lattimore. Richardson has break away speed and is a better pass catcher. Lattimore is just a old fashioned bruisher.

FUNBUNCHER
05-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I think people are overestimating Richardson's timed speed. Great runner in games, but I doubt he breaks 4.5 flat at the combine or his pro day.

It's not like he's some 4.4 guy, or a RB who can go 80 yards on any given play.

Adrian Peterson is a high 4.3- low 4.4 RB, Richardson is not in that class in terms of raw straightline speed.

Lattimore looked better in 2010 than Trent IMO has played his entire career at Alabama, or close to it.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I think by the end of the year Dyer will likely be in this convo as well.

FUNBUNCHER
05-28-2011, 12:56 PM
SEC has a bumper crop of RBs this year.

Scott Wright
05-28-2011, 02:04 PM
It's so, so early, but give me Richardson because he's faster and more explosive.

SickwithIt1010
05-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I loved the way Lattimore played last year. As a freshman to be able to run down peoples throat and punish people in the SEC was pretty special to watch. I like him more as a runningback, but I think in the end Richardson would go higher because of how freakishly he will test.

dannyz
05-28-2011, 02:18 PM
I heard Lattimore is up to 230 but also cut his 40 Time down a little bit as well.

We will have to see if the Added Weight affects his speed but if it doesn't watch out because he will be Scary.

CameronCropper
05-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Trent Richardson.

As beastly as Marcus Lattimore is, I have a feeling he'll be run into the ground before he turns professional. He could have a couple of good years in the league, but all that wear on the tyres will eventually catch up to you.

descendency
05-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Trent Richardson is the best runningback in the country. His stale games this year are a concern though.

Lattimore is a really good back who will have to show me more to believe he's better.

YAYareaRB
05-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Lattimore seems like he could carry the load in the NFL (even though he might not ever have to). Ruling is still out on Richardson for me just because I haven't watched enough of him.

Caulibflower
05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
How long til everyone is comparing Lattimore to Jonathan Stewart?

nepg
05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Never because he's better?

wicket
05-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I think by the end of the year Dyer will likely be in this convo as well.

given that dyer is about 30 i doubt it. I thought dyer was the best back in his class but maturity was part of the reason. He wont grow all that much anymore has acceptable but not overwhelming triangle numbers and lacks elite explosiveness.

descendency
05-29-2011, 04:18 PM
given that dyer is about 30 i doubt it.

30 what? He's a 20 year old sophomore. . .

M.O.T.H.
05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Trent Richardson is the best runningback in the country. His stale games this year are a concern though.

Lattimore is a really good back who will have to show me more to believe he's better.

He has to show you more? He's one of the most dynamic players in the country. All he did was score 19 touch downs as a Freshman.

Richardson is amazing, but he hasnt even carried the load yet. Tough to call him the best in the country yet, imo. At the very least, at least we've seen Lattimore carry the load, and have an insane amount of success, as a Freshman, no less.

Complex
05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Trent Richardson.

As beastly as Marcus Lattimore is, I have a feeling he'll be run into the ground before he turns professional. He could have a couple of good years in the league, but all that wear on the tyres will eventually catch up to you.

I think Marcus is better I too think that he will half-way used up by the time he gets to the NFL. If I were a big time runningback, I would redshirt my freshman season so I don't get as beat up before I make it to the NFL or I would play defense.

America
05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Trent one one of the most impressive high school backs in the past 5 years. He listed Texas as one of his favorites and they didn't offer a scholarship. Still pissed about that. He's got Ricky Williams kind of talent. A massive lower body to power through tackles and he hits the whole incredibly hard, plus he's got breakaway speed. Great height at 5-10/5-11 and he's hovering between 220 and 230 with 4.45 speed. Hardly any wear and tear, he's a top 10 prospect but probably will go around 15-20.

Marcus Lattimore might be better inside and has already developed NFL ready defensive reads and patience. He lacks that extra gear that pro scouts love and that will put a ceiling on his draft prospects but he's still a legit first rounder and might come off the board around where Ingram did this year.

Richardson will get to carry the load this year even with Eddie Lacy in the wings. Lattimore will have Alshon Jeffrey only for one more year so hopefully they won't run him to the ground as a junior.

bullg8rdaddy
05-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Tough call.... I like Trent more.

J-Mike88
05-29-2011, 09:10 PM
I love Marcus, but Trent is better.
It all depends on health from here on out.

wicket
05-30-2011, 12:43 AM
30 what? He's a 20 year old sophomore. . .

21 by the time the season comes around, which is just really old for a sophomore

CameronCropper
05-30-2011, 07:40 AM
I think Marcus is better I too think that he will half-way used up by the time he gets to the NFL. If I were a big time runningback, I would redshirt my freshman season so I don't get as beat up before I make it to the NFL or I would play defense.

278 total touches last season, he took an awful lot of hard hits along the way too.

I just worry that he'll be asked to carry the load a little too much (those forty carry games are worrying) and even though he'll be very successful at the college level, his body will start to fall apart not long into his NFL career.

If Garcia doesn't come back this season he'll have to carry the team even moreso, which does not sit well with me.

superman8456
05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one who finds it hard to judge Lattimore's talents because of the system he plays in?

No question he's a good player, but I can't in good conscience take Lattimore over Richardson.

FTRWRTR
05-30-2011, 02:43 PM
So many people are going to be disappointed by Richardson after he turns pro.

Give me Lattimore, he's the real deal.

DBNYDP
05-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Trent's ceiling is higher because of his combination of size and speed. That being said...the vision and power that Lattimore brings makes him a great runner that I think has a very high floor just not as big of a ceiling as Richardson.

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Anyone expect Trent Richardson this year to outperform Mark Ingram's Heisman season??

I don't. Will he rush for 1500+??

Rabscuttle
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Just keep those 5'9" corners from delivering open field hits on Lattimore and he should be okay. He should do well in the "new NFL" proposed by Goodell. No hitting above or below the waist of players selected in 50% of fantasy leagues.

Cigaro
05-30-2011, 08:39 PM
278 total touches last season, he took an awful lot of hard hits along the way too.

I just worry that he'll be asked to carry the load a little too much (those forty carry games are worrying) and even though he'll be very successful at the college level, his body will start to fall apart not long into his NFL career.

If Garcia doesn't come back this season he'll have to carry the team even moreso, which does not sit well with me.

Garcia's officially coming back.

Am I the only one who finds it hard to judge Lattimore's talents because of the system he plays in?

No question he's a good player, but I can't in good conscience take Lattimore over Richardson.

What system?

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2011, 09:59 PM
The 'system' apparently that makes it soooo easy for a true freshman RB to pick up yards between the tackles in the SEC.

Mr. Offseason
06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Richardson i still think would go ahead of Lattimore. Richardson has break away speed and is a better pass catcher. Lattimore is just a old fashioned bruisher.

Lattimore is a pretty impressive pass catcher out of the backfield so I don't think that I would say that Richardson is a better receiver. Lattimore is a pretty incredible talent as is Richardson, they are 1 and 1a for me. Obviously Richardson is the only one draft eligible this year though.

superman8456
06-05-2011, 09:31 PM
The 'system' apparently that makes it soooo easy for a true freshman RB to pick up yards between the tackles in the SEC.

I was actually talking more about the fact that he plays in the spread and doesn't get to see a whole lot of I formation, single back formation, etc.

Cigaro
06-06-2011, 12:56 AM
I was actually talking more about the fact that he plays in the spread and doesn't get to see a whole lot of I formation, single back formation, etc.

?

We watching the same team? Carolina still uses a lot of under center formations.

MidwayMonster31
06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Richardson's physical tools will get him drafted early. For whatever reason, it looked like Ingram had better instincts and vision compared to Richardson. I don't know much about Lattimore, other than that he's a bruiser of a running back. Lattimore won't have the same breakaway speed.

Cigaro
06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Lattimore has destroyed the off-season;

By the end of his freshman year, the 6-foot Lattimore weighed around 217 lbs. Now, with his new training partners by his side, he has bulked up to 231 lbs. this spring, while lowering his 40-yard dash time to 4.5 seconds. He now has a 35-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of just short of 10 feet. Not only did his speed and vertical increase, but his strength did as well. Lattimore increased his back squat from 425 lbs. to 482 lbs., his 275 lb. power-clean is now 315 lbs., and his bench press is finally over 300 lbs. for the first time in his life.

Lattimore’s hard work doesn’t just stop there. He even shows up early to run stadium steps with teammates who fail to make it to their designated workout.

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/marcus-lattimore-bulking-up-the-heisman-talks-arcl-1749.html

FTRWRTR
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Richardson's physical tools will get him drafted early. For whatever reason, it looked like Ingram had better instincts and vision compared to Richardson. I don't know much about Lattimore, other than that he's a bruiser of a running back. Lattimore won't have the same breakaway speed.It's obvious you don't know anything about lattimore. He's definitely not a brusing "power" rb..

FTRWRTR
06-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Lattimore has destroyed the off-season;

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/marcus-lattimore-bulking-up-the-heisman-talks-arcl-1749.htmlGaining 16 pounds of muscle in a year and a half worries me. First, I have to wonder if that's natural. Second, it seems that every pro rb who bulks up ends up deciding that they are better off at their previous, lighter weight.

superman8456
06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
?

We watching the same team? Carolina still uses a lot of under center formations.

I dont agree with that at all. They should use a lot more I because of Lattimore and they have a big offensive line, but from what I've seen its mostly shotgun spread.

M.O.T.H.
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah Cigaro, SCAR doesnt use many under center formations at all anymore, not even in goal line. In regard to Lattimore, though...it's nothing to be concerned over. He shines after initial contact, has outstanding vision, and is just an overall terror in the open field...his balance is just unbelievable. He's as legit as they come.

And Lattimore isnt just a power back...he's extremely balanced. He can do everything and he does everything very well.

FUNBUNCHER
06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Gaining 16 pounds of muscle in a year and a half worries me. First, I have to wonder if that's natural. Second, it seems that every pro rb who bulks up ends up deciding that they are better off at their previous, lighter weight.

IMO it's no biggie for a college athlete to gain 16# from the end of his HS senior year until the beginning of his true sophomore season, but if he did it again, that would be suspicious.

Lattimore in HS looked like he never lifted a weight before. His power numbers this offseason at SC are nice, but not awe-inspiring. Just good to see he's improved physically over the offseason.

I wonder about his speed, if it's actually improved. 230# is a little too heavy except for the most rare college RBs.

I think Lattimore is at his best playing around 220-225#, but we'll have to wait and see.

descendency
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
IMO it's no biggie for a college athlete to gain 16# from the end of his HS senior year until the beginning of his true sophomore season, but if he did it again, that would be suspicious.

If Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews can do it legitimately... surely Marcus Lattimore can.

M.O.T.H.
06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
You'd be surpised at what kind of gains a college athlete can make naturally in their first real off-season. While jumping from a high school workout routine, to a collegiate one. It's a whole other ball game. Especially when you factor in the better eating habits and proper nutritrion many college athletes adapt at that next level. The early gains can be very substantial.

Giantsfan1080
06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I was saying earlier this year that I think Lattimore will be the best RB prospect since AD.

Cigaro
06-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I dont agree with that at all. They should use a lot more I because of Lattimore and they have a big offensive line, but from what I've seen its mostly shotgun spread.

You're right, I went back and watched his Georgia carrys. For some reason I must have been thinking of 2009, apparently my remembrance of the games this season is a little too low.

Gaining 16 pounds of muscle in a year and a half worries me. First, I have to wonder if that's natural. Second, it seems that every pro rb who bulks up ends up deciding that they are better off at their previous, lighter weight.

Eh. Like earlier said, this was his first college offseason, and his work ethic is unquestionably the best on the team. I'd be worried about it if this happened again next offseason, but I think its only positive this year.

As for his weight in general, I think he'll be able to carry it. He's faster than ever, and there are backs who carry that weight successfully.

jrdrylie
06-06-2011, 06:15 PM
If Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews can do it legitimately... surely Marcus Lattimore can.

Except Cushing didn't do it legitimately.

cajuncorey
06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Except Cushing didn't do it legitimately.

and clay hasnt been caught yet...

ellsy82
06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
vs. Knile Davis of Oregon

Caulibflower
06-06-2011, 08:41 PM

It's funny because he didn't. And Matthews looks like a Morlock.

FUNBUNCHER
06-06-2011, 08:49 PM
It's funny because he didn't. And Matthews looks like a Morlock.

Descendency was being ironic/sarcastic.

Neither Cushing or CMIII in all probably gained all that weight at USC from drinking copious amounts of mother's milk as infants.

batsandgats
06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Trent Richardson.

this
Lattimore reminds me of T. A. McLendon for NC State a while back when Rivers was playing. Dude was a badass his freshman year with a similar bruising style, big too, 5'10 230 pounds, but career fell apart due to injuries. Almost identical freshman seasons, about the same carries over 1100 yards rushing, a little under 20 rushing tds. Both had around the same amount of receiving yards as well.

ellsy82
06-07-2011, 01:30 AM
this
Lattimore reminds me of T. A. McLendon for NC State a while back when Rivers was playing. Dude was a badass his freshman year with a similar bruising style, big too, 5'10 230 pounds, but career fell apart due to injuries. Almost identical freshman seasons, about the same carries over 1100 yards rushing, a little under 20 rushing tds. Both had around the same amount of receiving yards as well.

McLendon even had the pedigree to back it up too. Shame about the injuries. Lets hope Latty can come out of SCU in much better shape.

Texas Homer
06-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Right now, give me Trent.

No idea who might get drafted higher though.

LonghornsLegend
06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Trent Richardson.

You know I hear people say this, but I really don't think there's any merit to it. There are a ton of RB's who have been workhorses in College and it really never affected them. Even if an injury does occur down the line, the team is just thinking about what can a guy offer them for the 5 year contract. You'll worry about longer then that come time for an extension.

He had a typical season of carries for big time backs. Ray Rice was pushing 400 carries by his Junior season, same with Donald Brown. If they give him around 300 the next 2 seasons it won't be anything to worry about.

SchizophrenicBatman
06-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I think Richardson is ridiculously overrated. He has hype as a top 15 guy when I'm not even sure he's a round 1 guy

I like Lattimore but he has a problem when it comes to the NFL. His body is already pretty maxed out and he's not fast. He'll never be AD. Maybe a better version of Ingram, though

M.O.T.H.
06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
His body is maxed out? What do you mean by that exactly? He's a grown ass man now a days. He went from a powerful runner at 215 last year and now he's a man beast at 230+. Do you really want him getting any bigger than that? lol. As for speed...he's a solid 4.5ish guy, he's plenty fast.

Bald_81
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I thought this would be a good thread to bump seeing as they had two very different seasons. So, if you had to choose today would you take Richardson or Lattimore?

SeanTaylorRIP
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Lattimore reminds me of Steven Jackson.

RaiderNation
03-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Today I'd say Richardson, just have to see how Lattimore bounces back from the ACL tear. Before the injury, I probably would have said Lattimore would be a better NFL player.

bigbuc
03-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Give me Richardson everyday of the week. I see a bigger, faster and stronger Curtis Martin when watching Rich. Not a game breaker like CJ2k or AP, but at the end of the game he has 19 to 25 rushes 100+.

BRAVEHEART
03-12-2012, 02:22 AM
I like Lattimore, he's got a better feel for the game, and better vision.

SenorGato
03-12-2012, 04:27 AM

I actually kinda sorta buy this (pre-ACL).

norcalgsr
03-12-2012, 06:32 PM

He's got more wiggle and finesse than Jackson. Lattimore reminds me more of Deuce McAllister.

SuperPacker
03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd like Lattimore more if it werent for his injury. If he gets over it fine i think he'll be an elite NFL back.

TACKLE
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I still say Lattimore reminds me so much of Corey Dillon.

SuperPacker
03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I actually think Lattimore has a lot more speed than people give him credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent's and his t40 times aren't that much different.

Vision is also a very important trait IMO and you can tell his is top class!

San Diego Chicken
03-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I actually think Lattimore has a lot more speed than people give him credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent's and his t40 times aren't that much different.

Vision is also a very important trait IMO and you can tell his is top class!

Disagree or at the least, T-Rich has better game speed. Not saying he's the better back, but I rarely saw him caught from behind while it seemed like Lattimore would get caught quite often.

SuperPacker
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Disagree or at the least, T-Rich has better game speed. Not saying he's the better back, but I rarely saw him caught from behind while it seemed like Lattimore would get caught quite often.

Dont think it will be a big difference though.

Maybe a 4.48 for Trent and a 4.56 for Lattimore. And then Lattimore makes up for his slightly lower speed by having elite vision. He always seems to know what the defense is going to do and it looks like hes running away from it before its even happened.

bitonti
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Today I'd say Richardson, just have to see how Lattimore bounces back from the ACL tear. Before the injury, I probably would have said Lattimore would be a better NFL player.

pretty much agree. Pre injury lattimore was a beast.

Cigaro
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I thought this would be a good thread to bump seeing as they had two very different seasons. So, if you had to choose today would you take Richardson or Lattimore?

Today I would pick Richardson. Richardson hasn't torn his ACL and yet to play a college game since then. Lattimore has.

But considering how well and ahead of schedule Lattimore has been recovering, I think he'll bounce back fine, and if so, I'd take him. I think both will be top-tier backs in the NFL, but I think Lattimore seems to be simply a more natural runner.

Ghost of Juice
03-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I like them both a lot. But I remember Lattimore's first game as a freshman, he was such a beast and instantly became one of my favorite players. So I would choose Lattimore because I just like him more.

Thunder&Lightning
03-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Richardson.

Not even a competition in my opinion... Health is too much of a red flag for teams

keylime_5
03-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Lattimore is a better runningback than Trent Richardson. His workload in college and the fact that he's more of a physical power back who likes contact (those guys have shorter shelf-lives in the NFL) might work agaisnt his stock though. Richardson strikes me as a guy like Ray Rice, Mo Drew, Marshall Faulk, etc. who will last longer in the NFL because they can get him touches outside instead of just pounding him between the tackles like Eddie George, Stephen Davis and guys like that who got worn down quickly in the NFL.

keylime_5
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
the fact that Richardson split carries with Ingram for 2 years and only got a full workload as a junior helps his argument as well. There isn't that much wear and tear on Richardson's body right now. Lattimore will be more like Cedric Benson in that regard by the time he comes out. The number of carries combined with his running style probably equates to probably a few less years on Lattimore's NFL career than Richardson.

bucfan12
03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
the fact that Richardson split carries with Ingram for 2 years and only got a full workload as a junior helps his argument as well. There isn't that much wear and tear on Richardson's body right now. Lattimore will be more like Cedric Benson in that regard by the time he comes out. The number of carries combined with his running style probably equates to probably a few less years on Lattimore's NFL career than Richardson.

Richardson split carries with Ingram because Bama had two great RBs, which was a weapon. If you have two great players, you get them both on the field as much as you can. L

Taking nothing away from Lattimore, but Richardson is a pure beast and it's not even close as to who is better . Richardsson>>>Latimore

stl705
03-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm still on the Lattimore bandwagon. I actually think he's the best back prospect since AP. He may not be quite at AP's level, but I think this kid has all the tools. He may not be the fastest back, but I think his speed is good enough. The kid was ready to play in the NFL midway through his freshman year... You don't see that too often when a freshman is manhandling senior lineman and linebackers like that.

A lot of great backs never had the 5-star breakaway speed, I don't think it will hurt Lattimore.

I think Richardson is overrated. I like him, but think a lot of backs can play behind that Alabama o-line. I said the same thing about Ingram last year as well.

If Lattimore stays healthy, he should be the number 2 pick behind Barkley.