PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draftnick's Choice Awards - Best Draft

Brothgar
05-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey guys I just had an idea to get the forum's oppinion on who did the best in the draft. Who was the biggest steal. Best fit. Worst pick. Worst full draft. Etc etc etc. So anyway. Here are the Nominees for best overall draft

Cincinnati Bengals:

Draft picks: WR A.J. Green (first round), QB Andy Dalton (second round), DE Dontay Moch (third round), OL Clint Boling (fourth round), S Robert Sands (fifth round), WR Ryan Whalen (sixth round), CB Korey Lindsey (seventh round), RB Jay Finley (seventh round).

Houston Texans:

Draft picks: DE J.J. Watt (first round), LB Brooks Reed (second round), CB Brandon Harris (second round), CB Rashad Carmichael (fourth round), S Shiloh Keo (fifth round), QB T.J. Yates (fifth round), OL Derek Newton (seventh round), LB Cheta Ozougwu (seventh round).

Kansas City Chiefs:

Draft picks: WR Jonathan Baldwin (first round), C Rodney Hudson (second round), LB Justin Houston (third round), DE Allen Bailey (third round), CB Jalil Brown (fourth round), QB Ricky Stanzi (fifth round), LB Gabe Miller (fifth round), DT Jerrell Powe (sixth round), FB Shane Bannon (seventh round).

Atlanta Falcons:

Draft picks: WR Julio Jones (first round), LB Akeem Dent (third round), RB Jacquizz Rodgers (fifth round), K/P Matt Bosher (sixth round), OL Andrew Jackson (seventh round), DL Cliff Matthews (seventh round).

Detroit Lions:

Draft picks: DT Nick Fairley (first round), WR Titus Young (second round), RB Mikel Leshoure (second round), LB Doug Hogue (fifth round), OT Johnny Culbreath (seventh round).

Green Bay Packers:

Draft picks: OT Derek Sherrod (first round), WR Randall Cobb (second round), RB Alex Green (third round), CB Davon House (fourth round), TE D.J. Williams (fifth round), OL Caleb Schlauderaff (sixth round), LB D.J. Smith, (sixth round), LB Ricky Elmore (sixth round), TE Ryan Taylor (seventh round), DT Lawrence Guy (seventh round).

New Orleans Saints:

Draft picks: DE Cameron Jordan (first round), RB Mark Ingram (first round), LB Martez Wilson (third round), CB Johnny Patrick (third round), DE Greg Romeus (seventh round), LB Nate Bussey (seventh round).

New York Giants:

Draft picks: CB Prince Amukamara (first round), DT Marvin Austin (second round), WR Jerrel Jernigan (third round), OT James Brewer (fourth round), LB Greg Jones (sixth round), S Tyler Sash (sixth round), LB Jacquian Williams (sixth round), RB Da'Rel Scott (seventh round).

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Draft picks: DE Adrian Clayborn (first round), DE Da'Quan Bowers (second round), LB Mason Foster (third round), TE Luke Stocker (fourth round), S Ahmad Black (fifth round), RB Allen Bradford (sixth round), DB Anthony Gaitor (seventh round), TE Daniel Hardy (seventh round).

Me Likey Rookies
05-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I was a homer and voted for the Bucs. Our defense got much much better. There are no medical issues with Clayborn (i am hearing this everywhere!) and he has already lost weight at Raheem's request so I think we are getting the Junior year-Clayborn. Bowers comes down to the knee but if he can give us 2 years, its worth it. Foster will be a future leader at Will or Mike, Stocker was a steal in the 4th and will eventually be a starter. Raheem will find ways to use both Ahmad Black and Anthony Gaitor (he did a hell of a job coaching up EJ Biggers and Cody Grimm). Allen Bradford never got enough carries at USC but he looks like an upgrade at short yardage because Blount is too hesistant.

One team I think that is missing from the list is Arizona. Patrick Peterson will be phenomenal from day 1. Ryan Williams (healthy) should also start right away. I think both have huge rookie years. Acho should be a good situational rusher and Sturdivant should have gone higher than he did.

I also like Washington and St. Louis (but maybe they should have gone somewhere else with 1 pick instead of taking 3 big targets for Bradford).

Caulibflower
05-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Derek Sherrod is going to start early, Randall Cobb is going to get on the field early and often and can probably help them in the return game, they needed another running back and got one I thought was underrated in Alex Green; he's a physical runner, which they lacked, and with his experience his Hawaii's pass-first offense, he's a good schematic fit for Green Bay's spread. Davon House blew up the combine and is a guy with all the requisite size and athleticism needed to be starting NFL corner; with Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson already there, he's got two great guys to learn from while he hones his skills as perhaps a nickel back and at least a special teamer.
Then they get DJ Williams all the way back in the 5th round, and no one would've blinked had he gone in the third. I expect him to be the No. 2 TE/H-back right away and he ought to catch a couple passes per game. Most of their other later-round picks don't really excite me, but I think Lawrence Guy could turn out to at least be a pretty solid end in their 3-4. Nothing flashy, but sometimes all you need is a guy who won't get pushed around and I could see him getting some time in their D-line rotation, especially if they can't keep Cullen Jenkins. So... that's six draft picks that I can see getting some real playing time early on and contributing to their team, and their team just won the Super Bowl. That's a damn good draft.

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Jets grabbed my #3 3-4 DE in the draft, and the one with the 2nd most upside after Dareus. They grabbed my #1 NT prospect in the 3rd round when he had first round talent. The slot WR is one of the better ones in the draft, and the RB is quick and has fresh legs that are stronger than Joe McKnight's. The other WR is the QBs best friend so...yeah.

Anyway, all that said, I think the Chiefs did a good job for themselves. I'm not so sure what's so amazing about the Packers draft besides the fact that it's a Packers draft conducted by Tedzzzz Thompsonzzz (I hope I got the name right, I probably didn't).

Houston did a good job for themselves too. I like the DBs they collected to go with Jackson.

armageddon
05-28-2011, 09:14 AM
I was a homer and voted for the Bucs. Our defense got much much better. There are no medical issues with Clayborn (i am hearing this everywhere!) and he has already lost weight at Raheem's request so I think we are getting the Junior year-Clayborn. Bowers comes down to the knee but if he can give us 2 years, its worth it. Foster will be a future leader at Will or Mike, Stocker was a steal in the 4th and will eventually be a starter. Raheem will find ways to use both Ahmad Black and Anthony Gaitor (he did a hell of a job coaching up EJ Biggers and Cody Grimm). Allen Bradford never got enough carries at USC but he looks like an upgrade at short yardage because Blount is too hesistant.

One team I think that is missing from the list is Arizona. Patrick Peterson will be phenomenal from day 1. Ryan Williams (healthy) should also start right away. I think both have huge rookie years. Acho should be a good situational rusher and Sturdivant should have gone higher than he did.

I also like Washington and St. Louis (but maybe they should have gone somewhere else with 1 pick instead of taking 3 big targets for Bradford).

The Rams love Kendricks and Pettis and weren't looking to go with another WR in rd 4, but they had Salas rated really high and couldn't pass up on him. Huge value in rd 4. The offense will be much better with these 3 picks and Quinn in rd 1 will give them some serious pass rushing added to Long. Long is turning into one hell of a player.

armageddon
05-28-2011, 09:17 AM
The Rams had a players only mini camp and here is what a Rams insider said about Kendricks:

*Lance Kendricks ran around like a man possessed, catching everything in his area and displayed the size-speed combination that safeties will struggle with covering deep.

wicket
05-28-2011, 10:50 AM
for me:
1 Houston Texans
2 NY Giants
3 TB Bucs

do not know why atlanta is on this list

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah...definitely forgot the Giants, who got a pretty sweet name haul.

TACKLE
05-28-2011, 02:32 PM
At first glance, New Orleans had a great draft but you have to consider what they gave up to get Ingram. I voted for KC. I think they got 3 quality starters in the first 3 rounds and got some really good value and added depth at areas of need.

Hurricanes25
05-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Houston and Kansas City were my 2 favorite drafts.

Rosebud
05-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Not really blown away by anyone's draft right now. I liked a lot of drafts, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Houston, Detroit, St. Louis, Giants, Chiefs and Bears all had good drafts that will provide them with a number of good players but no one's draft stands out as an obvious home-run right now.

bigbluedefense
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I liked Houston's draft a lot.

I liked the Giants draft of course, but I think Houston really knocked it out of the park.

saintsfan912
06-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Technically all the Saints gave up was a day 2 pick. Still trying to figure out what all the fuss about getting a first and giving up a first. It's the same damn thing.

gpngc
06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Surprise! Jerry Reese and Ted Thompson did the best.

AntoinCD
06-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Technically all the Saints gave up was a day 2 pick. Still trying to figure out what all the fuss about getting a first and giving up a first. It's the same damn thing.

Despite their recent success and the talent levels on the Saints, it is a bit of an assumption to think that their pick will be 28th or lower next year given the difficulty of their division, sans Carolina, and the quality of NFC teams in the playoffs.

Say they have a bit of a down year and finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Does giving up a 2nd round pick and approximately number 18 give good value on the 28th overall pick?

Hypothetically, what if Drew Brees gets hurt and the Saints would have ended up with a top ten pick???

Realistically for the Saints to come out on the better side of this trade they really need to get to at least the NFC Championship game and have Ingram turn into a stud.

roscoesdad27
06-02-2011, 07:11 AM
1) ravens
2) giants
3) texans
4) bengals
5) browns

FlyingElvis
06-02-2011, 09:05 AM

The Saints took a gamble for a guy they liked with the knowledge that they are good enough to end up with a similar pick (28ish) next year. I totally respect that type of draft movement and can understand the move. Let's be honest, the Saints offense really only has one need at skill positions and that's RB. Thomas / Ivory / Bush are not looking like viable options with their injury history.

I give the Saints my vote, with the Pack & Buccs close behind. Well, I would if voting was still open. ;)

Monomach
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I have to give it to the Texans.

Why is Atlanta an option? They had one of the worst drafts.

onejayhawk
06-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Atlanta did not have one of the worst drafts. Where did that come from?

By the Trade Value Chart, they did well moving up. Jones was good value in his slot. Dent was a good pick, and the rest are late rounders, with Quiz being interesting in Darren Sproles/Dexter McCluster mode.

You can argue that the Falcons are not good enough to roll the dice on one player, but they got what they paid for.

J

bigbluedefense
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Atlanta did not have one of the worst drafts. Where did that come from?

By the Trade Value Chart, they did well moving up. Jones was good value in his slot. Dent was a good pick, and the rest are late rounders, with Quiz being interesting in Darren Sproles/Dexter McCluster mode.

You can argue that the Falcons are not good enough to roll the dice on one player, but they got what they paid for.

J

It was bad bc they are under the belief that they were an elite playmaker away from being a true title contender, and that's far from the truth.

They have a mediocre dline that desperately needs a young premier DE, they could use depth at CB, and you can argue they lack a playmaker at Safety although Moore could be that guy moving forward.

I personally felt they were one of the most overrated 1 seeds in years. I like their LB core, I like their philosophy offensively, but I view them as a blue collar solid but not spectacular team that lacks the overall talent needed to be a true title contender.

Even now with Julio, they still lack the defense I think is needed to do the job. They need a DE and a CB. Then maybe we can call them contenders.

But by giving up so much to get Julio, they cripple themselves for at least a year. And by then, a lot can change.

A Perfect Score
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
People hating on the Saints draft are crazy. Both Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram are going to make alot of people regret passing on them...Alot of people had both Jordan and Ingram going in the Top 15, Saints got them both in the 20's. As far as the Ingram trade goes, it was a hell of a lot smarter then what the Falcons did for Julio, since the Saints might actually be a punishing game closer (Ingram) away from another championship. Add in Cam Jordan and a few of the later round picks they made, and the Saints had one of my favorite drafts. Other two options would have to be Houston and KC for me...Both had great value throughout, both player wise and positionally. I feel like Kansas City is getting undersold...As much as I hated Jon Baldwin pre-process, I understand the pick and it wasn't bad value from a league perceived position, and they made some absolutely stellar picks in the remainder of the draft.

LonghornsLegend
06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I think Houston dominated the draft. Every pick was like "wow great pick" all the way through. They couldn't have possibly done better with the switch to the 3-4, even a best case scenario before wouldn't have looked better.

Watt is a beast, great fit with Wade, and a need. He's very bust proof with a high ceiling. Brooks Reed is a natural fit and projects as a starter, Brandon Harris could have gone late 1st and no one would have blinked. They needed another CB badly, to get 1 of his talent this late was a gift I don't think they anticipated.

Carmichael adds great depth, and Keo might have some starting ability in him. Their defense was rehualed, and reminded me some of Dallas' 2005 draft for the 3-4. I was skeptical of their switch, and I still need to see Mario in action, but they got players who fit perfectly with great value as well.

jack1077
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM

I remember seeing an interview with him saying he was asked to play heavier last year. He went on to say he can easily fluctuate his weight by about 25 lbs either way.

Unbiased
06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
I hate to be another one of those guys talking about his own team, but I feel like ultimately, the best drafts tend to be the ones who get the best QB. Even if he's the only guy who pans out, you can say that's when they turned it around. That had to have been the best draft. So it will probably be one of the following: Carolina, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Minnesota, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Kansas City.

the_dark_knight
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Getting the best WR in the draft for their scheme, getting the change of pace back they desperately needed, getting a DE prospect, getting a solid LB for depth, getting one of the best punters in the draft.

I mean if you're a hater sure, but if you know anything about Atlanta's squad and what they needed, they had a very solid draft.

*hater*

the_dark_knight
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
People hating on the Saints draft are crazy. Both Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram are going to make alot of people regret passing on them...Alot of people had both Jordan and Ingram going in the Top 15, Saints got them both in the 20's. As far as the Ingram trade goes, it was a hell of a lot smarter then what the Falcons did for Julio, since the Saints might actually be a punishing game closer (Ingram) away from another championship. Add in Cam Jordan and a few of the later round picks they made, and the Saints had one of my favorite drafts. Other two options would have to be Houston and KC for me...Both had great value throughout, both player wise and positionally. I feel like Kansas City is getting undersold...As much as I hated Jon Baldwin pre-process, I understand the pick and it wasn't bad value from a league perceived position, and they made some absolutely stellar picks in the remainder of the draft.

So much fail logic in this post.

Ingram is Ron Dayne 2.0. But I do think that Jordan was an extremely excellent pick. Was hoping if the Falcons didn't make the move for Julio that they'd pick him up. But I think the Saints overall had a very meh draft after Cameron Jordan.