PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draftnick's Choice Awards - Biggest Steal

Brothgar
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
This is the second poll in the series. Same idea the nominees are.

Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson Round 2 Pick 19 (51 overall) to the Tampa Bay Bucs

Virgil Green TE Nevada Round 7 Pick 1 (204 overall) to the Denver Broncos

Brandon Harris DB University of Miami Round 2 Pick 28 (60th overall)

Greg Romeous DE Pitt Round 7 pick 23 (226th overall) to the Saints

Christian Ballard DT Iowa Round 4 Pick 9 (106 overall) to the Minnesota Vikings

Quan Sturdivant ILB Round 6 Pick 6 (171st Overall) to the Arizona Cardinals

Ricky Elmore DE Arizona Round 6 Pick 32 (197th Overall) to the Green Bay Packers

Davon House Round 4 Pick 34 (131st Overall) to the Green Bay Pakers

Ryan Mallett Round 3 Pik 10 (74th Overall) to the New England Patriots

Duffman57
05-28-2011, 12:10 AM
No Jordan Toddman?

initial_flo
05-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Ryan Mallett, I've heard time and time again that he's the most pro ready guy right now of all the QB prospects. It's impossible to argue the ridiculous value New England got for this guy.

They set his mind right and he'll be a beast and worst case he doesn't play a down and they flip him for a 1st rounder a year or 2 down the line.

Caulibflower
05-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Cameron Jordan!?!?!? Helllllllooooo.....

ellsy82
05-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Mallett. Him behind NE's OL scares me to death. I hope he fizzles out. I don't want a Favre/Rodgers thing happening with Brady in Boston.

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Cameron Jordan!?!?!? Helllllllooooo.....

Meh I had a hard time calling a first round selection the biggest steal of the draft. Which is why he wasn't included.

As for Toddman that is a good choice I forgot about him really.

Caulibflower
05-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Meh I had a hard time calling a first round selection the biggest steal of the draft. Which is why he wasn't included.

As for Toddman that is a good choice I forgot about him really.

I thought he'd go in the top ten, or close to it, so I'm thinking of it as him going twice as many picks down as I expected him to; not just a certain number of picks.

descendency
05-28-2011, 01:14 AM
This list doesn't even have the biggest steal on it.

Marcus Cannon. Some thought he might be able to play LT in the NFL (granted, they were definitely in the minority). He has size and feet. His biggest negative is that he didn't play with enough of a mean streak. The guy was borderline first round talent. And was drafted in round 5.

I know I'm a huge homer and he's a huge risk, but Mallett has potential to be a top steal as well. There are a lot of things that he needs to be coached on, but they are all very coachable. Mallett has very comparable needs to what Tom Brady did coming out of Michigan. I'm thinking about trademarking "The Mallett Six" just in case ;)

------------- Am I homering too much to think the Patriots might have gotten two of the top 5 pre-season steals in the draft? Granted Cannon might not play until 2012... but then again he might have a lot of company in that boat -------------

Bowers knee legitimately scares me. I like Virgil Green and Brandon Harris. Ricky Elmore didn't empress me that much, but he is working with Kevin Greene now.

I think Mark Ingram has special written all over him. I kind of wanted NE to keep that pick for Ingram, but I'll just hope Brees takes a sabatical and the Saints pick top 10 so the Patriots can grab Trent Richardson (who fits the scheme better) and totally ignore the pass rush again.

Duffman57
05-28-2011, 01:18 AM
I thought he'd go in the top ten, or close to it, so I'm thinking of it as him going twice as many picks down as I expected him to; not just a certain number of picks.

I had a feeling he would drop to the Chargers, and i was nearly positive that he would be passed on by the Patriots, due to not fitting their scheme, in which they always draft for scheme over talent. And i wasn't sure that the bolts would take him, in which case, i thought he would drop a lil bit, so his fall doesn't surprise me.

Duffman57
05-28-2011, 01:20 AM

Marcus Cannon. Some thought he might be able to play LT in the NFL (granted, they were definitely in the minority). He has size and feet. His biggest negative is that he didn't play with enough of a mean streak. The guy was borderline first round talent. And was drafted in round 5.

I know I'm a huge homer and he's a huge risk, but Mallett has potential to be a top steal as well. There are a lot of things that he needs to be coached on, but they are all very coachable. Mallett has very comparable needs to what Tom Brady did coming out of Michigan. I'm thinking about trademarking "The Mallett Six" just in case ;)

------------- Am I homering too much to think the Patriots might have gotten two of the top 5 pre-season steals in the draft? Granted Cannon might not play until 2012... but then again he might have a lot of company in that boat -------------

Bowers knee legitimately scares me. I like Virgil Green and Brandon Harris. Ricky Elmore didn't empress me that much, but he is working with Kevin Greene now.

I think Mark Ingram has special written all over him. I kind of wanted NE to keep that pick for Ingram, but I'll just hope Brees takes a sabatical and the Saints pick top 10 so the Patriots can grab Trent Richardson (who fits the scheme better) and totally ignore the pass rush again.

I forgot ALL about him. BIGTIME steal, biggest steal in the draft pretty easily for me, boarderline first round talent going in the 5th.

Roddoliver
05-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Ryan Mallett. The #1 QB in my opinion. And the Patriots also had him as the #1 QB in the draft.

Caulibflower
05-28-2011, 01:54 AM

Cannon is a gooood one. And I love Ingram, too, but I think where he went is about right, given the market for running backs right now. Even I, as a huge fan, am not going to pretend that running backs are at a premium right now.

Caulibflower
05-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Mark Ingram is a less-hoodrat Marshawn Lynch. Not that I mind. I too like to do hoodrat stuff with my friends.

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Mallett in the 3rd.

Kenrick Ellis in the 3rdz

J-Mike88
05-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I chose Mallett because of how good I thought he was going to be.

However, I think people are dreaming a bit thinking he's going to go from the value that he had this year, to becoming a 1st rounder when they decide to trade for him. Just because Rodgers panned out huge after Favre, and because Cassell has turned out great for NE and then KC, doesn't mean this case will follow suit.

#1- It will take another Brady injury for him to showcase himself like Cassel did.
#2- It's doubtful Mallet would light it up enough to turn himself into a #1 pick, if #1 were to happen.
#3- Brady is going to play a lot more than 3 years (the amount Favre did after Rodgers was drafted)
#4- Even Rodgers... had the Packers traded him in 2006, 2007, or before the 2008 draft, they would not have gotten a #1 pick. Maybe in 2008 they might have because he looked great in the one real action of 2007 he had, in Dallas when Favre sucked and hurt his elbow with the 10-1 Packers vs the 10-1 Cowboys.

Still, I think it was the steal of the draft just on talent alone.
But that will change over time as some guys will rise to the top.

Good work putting Davon House and Ricky Elmore on this list!

onejayhawk
05-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Poor list. Mallett is the only viable candidate.

Justin Houston.

J

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Poor list. Mallett is the only viable candidate.

Justin Houston.

J

Seriously? You thought hey Greg Romeous is going in the 7th maybe 6th?

Christian Ballard is a 4th round talent? GTFO

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Mallett in the 3rd.

Kenrick Ellis in the 3rdz

I'm not a huge fan of the Kenrick Ellis pick.

cajuncorey
05-28-2011, 09:56 AM
also. no nick fairley? went 13th after many thought he was considered a lock to be number 1 a few months prior

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 10:05 AM
also. no nick fairley? went 13th after many thought he was considered a lock to be number 1 a few months prior

as I said about Cam Jordan I don't really consider first round selections "steals". Trust me I considered Cam Jordan and Nick Fairley as nominees and if you wish to vote other feel free.

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the Kenrick Ellis pick.

I liked everything about the pick.

onejayhawk
05-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Seriously? You thought hey Greg Romeous is going in the 7th maybe 6th?

Christian Ballard is a 4th round talent? GTFO

Romeous is maybe 5th. Ballard solid 3rd, but not 2nd. How is either a bigger steal than Jordan Toddman, who has been mentioned.

I was being a bit hyperbolic, but only a bit. Sturdivant would have been the better choice, because I would have given you that one. Bowers too, even with the injury. The next best is V Green.

In comparison, Brandon Harris went about on point. Ditto Rickey Elmore. All of these were good value picks where taken, but you are looking for best value.

In comparison, Mallett has top 10 tools. Marcus Cannon is a high 2nd talent, with a known and treatable condition. Justin Houston is a low to mid 1st round talent with a single red flag. For early picks, Nick Fairley and JJ Watt.

J

TACKLE
05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
According to my board, Ryan Mallett, Edmond Gates and Aldrick Robinson were probably the biggest steals. I think Greg Little in late 2 will also prove to be a big steal.

Philliez01
05-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Did the natural say Cam Newton yet?

I'm going with Mallet.

Lil Quip
05-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I had to go with Bowers. Without the knee he was considered a top ten guy.

Granted the Andre Wadsworth situation scare a lot of people, but his knee could hold up for ten year.

I will give an HM to the pot smokers: Ballard and Houston. Both were taken below their value. I think people saw how New England had decent success with Aaron Hernandez and Brandon Tate and saw how one failed test is not the end all be all.

Texas Homer
05-28-2011, 06:00 PM
I voted for Brandon Harris.

cajuncorey
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Did the natural say Cam Newton yet?

I'm going with Mallet.

LOL u clearly mean gabbert

onejayhawk
05-29-2011, 10:28 AM
LOL u clearly mean gabbert

Do I hear Locker?

J

PossibleCabbage
05-29-2011, 10:13 PM
I second the "Justin Houston is the biggest steal" motion.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-30-2011, 06:40 PM
i'm on the Justin Houston bandwagon, as well. many thought he was the probable pick for the Bucs @ #20 or the Chiefs @ #21. countless mockers and pundits had him there. taking him @ #70 is ridiculous value. proven commodity that slipped with a positive drug test. we've seen this before. positive for weed and slips down the board. doesn't change his production in a 34 defense with a DC that's worked with Crennel in the past. good fit together. great value.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Brandon Burton and Lawrence Guy stood out to me, as well.

bored of education
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I had Justin Houston in my top 30, so yes, him by a lot.

bucfan12
05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
As I Bucs fan, I hope its Bowers and could possibly very well be. I mean, back in January/February, scouts and analysts had him going 1 overall to Carolina and even then still had him in the top 5 talent. If his knee turns up well, then its a no brainer.

Another guy I like is Brandon Burton CB from Utah that Minnesota took. Many thought he had the potential to become a shutdown type of CB and some graded him as a 2nd rounder. I think Minnesota got a steal there.

Also, when Herzlich gets picked up as a UDFA, he's going to want to show the whole league they made a mistake on passing on him in the draft.

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Houston and Mallett.

IMO in 3-4 years either Minny or Arizona will be paying a mint to trade for Mallett when they could have selected him outright in 2011.

Justin Houston should be awesome as a rookie for the Chiefs. I can't wait to see him come off the edge in that D.

AntoinCD
05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
I think this has to go to Da'Quan Bowers. This guy was projected for a long time as the #1 overall pick. All prospects fall for a reason. Ryan Mallett was projected anywhere from the mid first to the late second. Justin Houston was rated as a fringe first rounder. Marcus Cannon was rated as a high second rounder. All of them fell however none were rated as highly as Bowers so close to the draft. He may not turn out to be the pro prospect he was billed as but in terms of perceived value I dont see how it isn't Bowers

Monomach
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Lee Ziemba. I don't think he'll be an all-pro, but I think he'll be a solid starter. A solid starter at the end of the seventh is a big steal.